PDA

View Full Version : 17th Ave and 8th Street S.W. ???

poopysheep
Sep 28, 2010, 7:55 PM
Wondering if there was any info on what is being built there....

Wooster
Sep 28, 2010, 8:00 PM
Best Buy on second floor (with the corner ground floor entrance I believe), several smaller yet unknown ground floor retailers and offices above. Called Hanson Square.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/hansonsquare1.jpg

poopysheep
Sep 28, 2010, 8:03 PM
oh wow... a best buy... hee hee... that's kinda funny.. i like that it's on the second floor though... i hope the small unknown retailers aren't another bank and cellular phone outlet...

anyone know if anything is scheduled to happen with the old shoppers building?? seems everything is vacant off of that side of 8th at this point... wouldnt a first run movie theatre with underground parking there be great!! or a urban style home depot... i hate that there is no hard ware store down here...

kw5150
Sep 28, 2010, 10:47 PM
oh wow... a best buy... hee hee... that's kinda funny.. i like that it's on the second floor though... i hope the small unknown retailers aren't another bank and cellular phone outlet...

anyone know if anything is scheduled to happen with the old shoppers building?? seems everything is vacant off of that side of 8th at this point... wouldnt a first run movie theatre with underground parking there be great!! or a urban style home depot... i hate that there is no hard ware store down here...

How about a big gay bar? :)

Rusty van Reddick
Sep 28, 2010, 11:01 PM
Big gay bar recently opened at 11 St and 10 Ave! Club Sapien.

unibrain
Sep 29, 2010, 12:16 AM

There were plans to renovate the building (more in the lines of gut out, and completely rebuild). The plan wasnt all that spectacular.. basically 5 or 6 bays of retail including a Starbucks I believe.

I think the owner has abandoned the plans though.

poopysheep
Oct 2, 2010, 11:29 PM
There were plans to renovate the building (more in the lines of gut out, and completely rebuild). The plan wasnt all that spectacular.. basically 5 or 6 bays of retail including a Starbucks I believe.

I think the owner has abandoned the plans though.

that's too bad... we totally need another Starbucks in that location.... :haha:

kw5150
Oct 3, 2010, 4:56 PM

I haven't went yet. Is it any good? I went for an afternoon beer there with my boyfriend but thats about it.

Rusty van Reddick
Oct 3, 2010, 5:01 PM
I haven't went yet. Is it any good? I went for an afternoon beer there with my boyfriend but thats about it.

I'm the wrong person to ask- never go to bars anymore. But I've heard good things about it, like that they actually have decent food.

jeffwhit
Oct 4, 2010, 4:52 PM

For sec I thought it was actually called "Big Gay Bar." I am slightly disappointed.

CorporateWhore
Oct 4, 2010, 4:54 PM
Hah, I read it that way too and thought it was an awesome name. Club Sapien sounds like a bar that's going to try too hard.

YYCguys
Oct 4, 2010, 7:40 PM
Club Sapien is hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner, something which I've never seen any other gay club do, so I'm glad that this business is reaching out to the community in this way. I welcome Club Sapien to Calgary!

halifaxboyns
Oct 4, 2010, 10:41 PM
Club Sapien is hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner, something which I've never seen any other gay club do, so I'm glad that this business is reaching out to the community in this way. I welcome Club Sapien to Calgary!

It is an interesting space. I went with some friends and the original bar was also part restaurant; so I got the feeling it was trying to be all things to everyone.

The dance space was really small - but that may grow if they can get the next bay in the complex. Otherwise, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It wasn't blow my sox off, but it wasn't bad either. Plus the staff were really nice, compared to twisted.

DizzyEdge
Oct 4, 2010, 11:19 PM
It is an interesting space. I went with some friends and the original bar was also part restaurant; so I got the feeling it was trying to be all things to everyone.

The dance space was really small - but that may grow if they can get the next bay in the complex. Otherwise, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It wasn't blow my sox off, but it wasn't bad either. Plus the staff were really nice, compared to twisted.

But, Twisted is basically all dance space, so maybe that's a good thing.