PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK | 50 (10) UN Plaza | 570 FT | 44 FLOORS

Pages : [1] 2

NYguy
Sep 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Guess its time to bring this back...

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/09/21/possible_sneak_preview_of_secretive_10_united_nations_plaza.php#more
Possible Sneak Preview of Secretive 10 United Nations Plaza

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery/4088/5011954988_7b6879ecc6_o.jpg

Tuesday, September 21, 2010, by Pete

The wild winds of last week's tornado whipped up all sorts of stuff and sent it our way, including a rendering of 10 United Nations Plaza, a mystery project with the alternate address of 825 First Avenue that's been stuck in stall mode. The archi-freaks over at Wired New York have been abuzz about what will rise here, where Zeckendorf Development plans to build a luxury condominium on a plot across from the United Nations gardens that they bought for $160 million back in 2007. Now we've got some clues.

This past July the Department of Buildings issued a New Building Permit for the site, showing it will rise 40 stories and hold 74 units, including two full-floor duplex penthouses up top with views of pretty much everything, except maybe all the way up into Jeter's place next door. Can't win 'em all!

The architect is SLCE, but nothing about this project shows up on the firm's website. The render depicts a tower in glass and metal, rising just to the south of the 72-story Trump World Tower. The George W. Bush Security Bunker U.S. Permanent Mission to the UN just down First Avenue shows up in the image as it looked more than a year ago while still under construction, so there's no telling quite yet if this vision of the luxury stack of apartments at 10 United Nations Plaza is what will go up.

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery/4126/5003050808_e346efbe51_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery/4146/5005511491_08c560f124_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery/4147/5002443461_87a9642304_o.jpg

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=3&passjobnumber=110219095&passdocnumber=01

SkyscrapersOfNewYork
Sep 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
i dont like it....whats with the box on top?

uaarkson
Sep 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
Pretty awful.

NYguy
Sep 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
i dont like it....whats with the box on top?

Most likely mechanical space. Unlike the many water towers you see on so many classic New York buildings.

It's a very bland design though, at least from that rendering. We need to see it close up, but it may or may not be the actual design.

Obey
Sep 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuggglllly :yuck: in that area you can easily build a supertall

Alliance
Sep 22, 2010, 12:01 AM
Uuuuuuuuuuggglllly :yuck: in that area you can easily build a supertall

Yeah...a supertall on first avenue. I doubt that will happen for a long long time. There is simply no demand and tons of empty lots. Solow has several GIANT plots.

The UN is right there too. Its enough traffic and cops every September for the GA. I live a good distance away and its a hassle. I cant imagine being right THERE.

SkyscrapersOfNewYork
Sep 22, 2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah...a supertall on first avenue...sure.

well its not impossible if we get the transit in place

JSsocal
Sep 22, 2010, 12:13 AM
On a lot with a some more square footage, maybe. This lot is half the size of Trump World Tower. The fact is the east side is heavily developed, and not a lot of development is going to happen here, as there aren't as many underused parcels. The best chance of anything really tall is going to be the site just south of the U.N.

SkyscrapersOfNewYork
Sep 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
On a lot with a some more square footage, maybe. This lot is half the size of Trump World Tower. The fact is the east side is heavily developed, and not a lot of development is going to happen here, as there aren't as many underused parcels. The best chance of anything really tall is going to be the site just south of the U.N.

or you could just up root the park to the right of the UN ;)

Lecom
Sep 22, 2010, 1:59 AM
Meh. It's alright, not a bad filler.

Busy Bee
Sep 22, 2010, 3:35 AM
Yeah...a supertall on first avenue. I doubt that will happen for a long long time. There is simply no demand and tons of empty lots. Solow has several GIANT plots.

You can't be serious. No demand? Those Solow lots are empty because his development has been held up for several years for a variety of reasons, but will eventually hold several 600'+ towers. There is more than enough demand for much taller, much better designed tower at this location.

NYguy
Sep 22, 2010, 1:21 PM

The most important thing here, correctly, is that lot, and what it's zoned to hold. There's also the matter of that plaza on 47th, although it didn't affect the Trump World Tower. But Trump's tower was as-of-right, and the mini war he fought with neighborhood residents was never a real concern for him.

That Con Ed site meanwhile, just south of the UN, sits empty and unispired to produce anything worthy of the site.

Crawford
Sep 22, 2010, 1:49 PM

What the hell are you talking about? There is no demand for residential space in prime East Side Manhattan? Is this a comedy routine?

Solow's development sites are a ways south from here, and he is in litigation with his partners, so they won't be built until the legal issues are resolved. Completely irrelevent.

The UN is right there too. Its enough traffic and cops every September for the GA. I live a good distance away and its a hassle. I cant imagine being right THERE.

Yeah, the UN is a real negative for residential real estate demand. All those Saudi oil sheiks and European princes paying $15-20 million a pop for condos is a real drag on local property values.

There was just a $30 million sale on Sutton Place. I guess the buyer didn't get the memo. :rolleyes:

RobertWalpole
Sep 22, 2010, 3:52 PM
Looks lame.

NYC4Life
Sep 24, 2010, 4:31 AM
For that plot of land, we could use a better tower, both size wise and architectually. These large empty lots too often produce largely disappointing towers. From that render at least, there appears to be no exception here.

Rail>Auto
Sep 24, 2010, 5:14 AM
Dang, I was hoping this was the UN itself expanding.

Alliance
Sep 24, 2010, 5:45 AM
What the hell are you talking about? There is no demand for residential space in prime East Side Manhattan? Is this a comedy routine?

Solow's development sites are a ways south from here, and he is in litigation with his partners, so they won't be built until the legal issues are resolved. Completely irrelevent.

Yeah, the UN is a real negative for residential real estate demand. All those Saudi oil sheiks and European princes paying $15-20 million a pop for condos is a real drag on local property values.

There was just a $30 million sale on Sutton Place. I guess the buyer didn't get the memo. :rolleyes:

In case you haven't noticed, there is already a very large condo tower next-door, one that had trouble selling some of its high profile units, though that was more an issue of improper pricing. Such units in the area, like those you mentioned at Sutton Place, might be great for oil magnates who can be driven everywhere who want to rub elbows at the UN. But that is clearly a finite market.

But what would a supertall at this location offer? Stunning architecture? They don't have a great start and probably wont (see below). Luxury hotel? Apparently not offered. The views on the north side are all blocked. Adding rentals won't work (thats the problem with Solow's proposals) as there is no easy access to transportation and the neighborhood is meh. The best you can do with an all condo tower is build it short enough and cheap enough so the price points are low enough that its more attractive than its neighbors. Thats hardly the makings for a supertall.

NYguy
Sep 24, 2010, 2:16 PM
But what would a supertall at this location offer? Stunning architecture? They don't have a great start and probably wont (see below). Luxury hotel? Apparently not offered. The views on the north side are all blocked. Adding rentals won't work (thats the problem with Solow's proposals) as there is no easy access to transportation and the neighborhood is meh. The best you can do with an all condo tower is build it short enough and cheap enough so the price points are low enough that its more attractive than its neighbors. Thats hardly the makings for a supertall.

There will be no supertall on that small site for various reasons, but for the sake of argument, we'll make a case "theoretically" for one.

As far as location, it's always possible for an architect to design something stunning. Views to the north? Trump World Tower is an 800 footer, the highest and most expensive units of a supertall there would have unobstructed views. But that's not as big a problem as you would think. We currently have a supertall under construction on 57th Street, that while offereing stunning views of Central Park to the north, will have views to the south blocked by other large residential towers.

But it just isn't a site large enough for a supertall, nor is it zoned for it.

Alliance
Sep 24, 2010, 4:21 PM
There will be no supertall on that small site for various reasons, but for the sake of argument, we'll make a case "theoretically" for one.

As far as location, it's always possible for an architect to design something stunning. Views to the north? Trump World Tower is an 800 footer, the highest and most expensive units of a supertall there would have unobstructed views. But that's not as big a problem as you would think. We currently have a supertall under construction on 57th Street, that while offereing stunning views of Central Park to the north, will have views to the south blocked by other large residential towers.

But it just isn't a site large enough for a supertall, nor is it zoned for it.

Well, I think you could "theoretically" make one if it included 40 floors of a luxury hotel, if the market was way better, or if there weren't a good number of other condo-supertalls proposed/vaguely under construction with way better views (sorry, I don't think a view of Central Park from 57th St entirely compares to a view of Brooklyn from First Ave). Economics wise, skyscrapers have always been about practicality. I don't see a practical argument for one here, even zoning aside (which is obviously a major consideration) just a lot of "OMG WHY NO SUPERTALL." You can bet Trump would heavily lobby against any such building as well, especially since its relatively easy to break through his brand and offer better amenities.

It should be obvious from my comments that I almost always think the architecture of almost any building can be improved. This looks to be no exception, but I try to restrain myself until more detailed renders are released.

NYguy
Sep 25, 2010, 2:20 AM
Well, I think you could "theoretically" make one if it included 40 floors of a luxury hotel, if the market was way better, or if there weren't a good number of other condo-supertalls proposed/vaguely under construction with way better views (sorry, I don't think a view of Central Park from 57th St entirely compares to a view of Brooklyn from First Ave).

And yet, there sits Trump World Tower. You've heard of it, I'm sure.

Economics wise, skyscrapers have always been about practicality. I don't see a practical argument for one here, even zoning aside (which is obviously a major consideration) just a lot of "OMG WHY NO SUPERTALL." You can bet Trump would heavily lobby against any such building as well, especially since its relatively easy to break through his brand and offer better amenities.

Trump could lobby all he wanted, but if there were an actual possibility of a tower surpassing his, and it could be built, his lobbying would get him as far as the Malkins did concerning 15 Penn Plaza. But if it were as undesirable a location as you say, he wouldn't need to.

Alliance
Sep 25, 2010, 8:19 PM
And yet, there sits Trump World Tower. You've heard of it, I'm sure.

Yup. I referenced it repeatedly already. Though, I think you didn't understand my reasons for alluding to it.

Regardless, I see no argument for a supertall here, simply fantasies. The current model just doesn't work per my reasoning and the facts of the site are prohibitive.

Dac150
Sep 25, 2010, 8:47 PM
Some of you really get too hung up on the 'supertall' concept. Dynamics are what make a skyline. I don't think placing a 'supertall' next to another tall building (in that area) would be good dynamic. Though this proposal may look 'lame', sometimes it takes lame towers to make more attractive buildings pop.

Zerton
Sep 26, 2010, 2:09 AM
This tower is horrible! and it's on the river!

SkyscrapersOfNewYork
Sep 26, 2010, 2:30 AM
Some of you really get too hung up on the 'supertall' concept. Dynamics are what make a skyline. I don't think placing a 'supertall' next to another tall building (in that area) would be good dynamic. Though this proposal may look 'lame', sometimes it takes lame towers to make more attractive buildings pop.

since ive been here on SSP a year ive really lost the whole supertall infatuation i had and i do agree that it all relies on aesthetics to make a skyline beautiful though i would argue that we should utilize the open lots we have in Manhattan cautiously and design the towers that will rise from these lots graciously due to the fact that Manhattan has run out of developable land. while it is the city's nature to tear down and rebuild i think its important to work with what we have and architects should push themselves to give "gifts" to New York rather then second rate architectural fillers( a good recent example of an architectural "gift" is the Beekman Tower). Trump World Tower and the UN Plaza really have no use in having less than gorgeous neighbors to make them "pop" on the skyline,in reality they look amazing all on their own. UN Plaza deserves better and i will be disappointed if i have to look upon this area for the next couple of decades and think "it could have been better".

pico44
Sep 26, 2010, 3:01 PM
It should be obvious from my comments that I almost always think the architecture of almost any building can be improved. This looks to be no exception, but I try to restrain myself until more detailed renders are released.

It is obvious from your comments that as long as a building is in New York, you'll find some terrible fault with it. And how is transportation along 1st avenue a limiting factor again? Are you insane? You've got the bus going north on one of the best-moving streets on Manhattan. You've got the east west bus on 42nd st. There is a brand new subway under construction one block away. And of course all the cabs and liverys. Is there another place in the US outside of New York that has better public transport options than First Avenue and 42nd st?

NYguy
Sep 26, 2010, 3:06 PM
I see no argument for a supertall here, simply fantasies. The current model just doesn't work per my reasoning and the facts of the site are prohibitive.

There is no argument for a supertall here, just thoughts on why it wouldn't be completely out of line. Being a skyscraper forum, it's understandable that many people have a love of supertalls.

Anyway, the site's currently a hole in the ground, and what will rise there may or may not be this rendered tower...

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/842564.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/4970752761_1467445baf_b.jpg
ennipoet (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/4970752761/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2498/4168445987_349a38501b_b.jpg
gula08 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gula08/4168445987/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/842565.jpg

SkyscrapersOfNewYork
Sep 26, 2010, 3:14 PM
It is obvious from your comments that as long as a building is in New York, you'll some terrible fault with it. And how is transportation along 1st avenue a limiting factor again? Are you insane? You've got the bus going north on one of the best-moving streets on Manhattan. You've got the east west bus on 42nd st. There is a brand new subway under construction one block away. And of course all the cabs and liverys. Is there another place in the US outside of New York that has better public transport options than First Avenue and 42nd st?

theres no trains going to that area of first avenue, easily accessible trains going to and from first avenue from places like Jersey and the other boroughs wold make the area more attractive for companies seeking to build office towers.

fimiak
Sep 26, 2010, 6:01 PM
theres no trains going to that area of first avenue, easily accessible trains going to and from first avenue from places like Jersey and the other boroughs wold make the area more attractive for companies seeking to build office towers.

The second avenue line will be completed semi-near this area probably around 2016.

uaarkson
Sep 26, 2010, 10:33 PM
What is that thing that popped up on the south face of the UN building?

Zerton
Sep 26, 2010, 10:37 PM
^ That's the east face and that's just something in front of it in the image. perspective trickery.

JSsocal
Sep 27, 2010, 12:48 AM
Actually no, they're renovating the UN Building, and that appears to be a construction elevator. They're gonna be giving the building a reclad.

Alliance
Sep 27, 2010, 4:38 AM
^ Yeah. I shudder to think of the horrible implications that could happen with that new curtain wall. The mockups look good though. *crosses fingers*

SkyscrapersOfNewYork
Sep 27, 2010, 4:44 AM
^ Yeah. I shudder to think of the horrible implications that could happen with that new curtain wall. The mockups look good though. *crosses fingers*

its a landmark,screwing up just isnt an option. no need to be jumpy.;)

Zerton
Sep 27, 2010, 8:44 AM
Actually no, they're renovating the UN Building, and that appears to be a construction elevator. They're gonna be giving the building a reclad.

Oh wow. Thanks for the info. I was sure that was not a possibility!

hunser
Sep 27, 2010, 2:31 PM
i'm all for new highrises in the city, but i give this tower a miss. :yuck: still, i'll wait for new renders, maybe i'll change my mind. :)

NYguy
Sep 27, 2010, 9:55 PM
What is that thing that popped up on the south face of the UN building?

Yeah, the renovation has begun already. You may or may not recall the proposal to build another UN tower just south of the Secretariat, but that got held up, so the UN moved some offices to other buildings, and also set up temporary shop in front of Trump World Tower (you can see in the same photo).

Here's that old proposal....
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128600

tommaso
Jun 12, 2011, 10:03 AM
Any news here?

NYguy
Dec 9, 2011, 5:30 PM
http://www.dnainfo.com/20111209/murray-hill-gramercy/big-plans-for-stalled-construction-site-near-un

Big Plans for Stalled Construction Site Near UN

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/photo/2011/12/1323403884.JPG/image640x480.jpg

December 9, 2011
By Mary Johnson

The future is looking up for a stalled construction site across the street from the United Nations. Zeckendorf Development is planning to build a 44-story residential tower on First Avenue between East 46th and East 47th streets and fill it with diplomats.

“There’s a great need for dedicated diplomatic housing,” said Will Zeckendorf, of Zeckendorf Development, who presented the plan at a meeting of the Community Board 6 land use committee this week. The developer was asking the committee to approve a special permit that would create additional parking spaces within the on-site parking garage he’s planning, but he and his team took the opportunity to showcase the overall project, which they estimated could break ground at the end of next year. Zeckendorf Development reportedly paid about $160 million in 2007 to acquire the chunk of property, which the firm now refers to as 50 United Nations Plaza.

For this plan, Zeckendorf has hired Foster & Partners, an international, award-winning architectural firm, to design what will be a 240,000-square-foot condominium tower.The intent, explained Foster & Partners architect Brandon Haw, is to create fewer apartments with more space.

The site, located next door to the popular protest and rally site Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, could accommodate a building with as many as 300 units, Haw noted. Instead, the developer would like to construct a tower with just 87 condos. Each would be an average of 2,500 square feet, with 12 to 16 foot high ceilings. The sheer size of the units is intended to appeal to the diplomatic community, Zeckendorf explained, as representatives from foreign countries often need more space to allow for entertaining and small gatherings, he noted.

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/photo/2011/12/1323403901.JPG/image640x480.jpg

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/photo/2011/12/1323403924.JPG/image640x480.jpg

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/photo/2011/12/1323403964.JPG/image640x480.jpg

Site

sbarn
Aug 31, 2012, 6:50 PM
Sadly, this still remains a vacant and stalled construction site in a very desirable area. I hope something get started here soon. It would be great to see something pretty tall rise here, particularly if they go with a accomplished architect like Foster.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8448/7901746412_7ae5b92f38_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8313/7901745470_7ab5f2e6d4_b.jpg

sbarn
Aug 31, 2012, 7:27 PM
I feel that something like the rendering below would look spectacular (note: this is only a vision assembled by myself, not the actual proposal):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8304/7901944318_1d9cb42f49_h.jpg
Image Source: bvohra (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bvohra/6280117315/sizes/l/in/photostream/)
Building Design Source: Archi-Tectonics (http://www.archi-tectonics.com/projects/south-street-tower/diagram#)

ThatOneGuy
Aug 31, 2012, 8:04 PM
^^ I wish that one was the final design...

Busy Bee
Aug 31, 2012, 10:36 PM
Great rendering. I too love pretty girls in yellow dresses ;)

NYguy
Sep 1, 2012, 12:49 PM
I feel that something like the rendering below would look spectacular (note: this is only a vision assembled by myself, not the actual proposal):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8304/7901944318_1d9cb42f49_h.jpg
Image Source: bvohra (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bvohra/6280117315/sizes/l/in/photostream/)
Building Design Source: Archi-Tectonics (http://www.archi-tectonics.com/projects/south-street-tower/diagram#)

That would look great.

jd3189
Sep 1, 2012, 2:54 PM
Kinda takes away dominance from Trump.

njcco
Sep 3, 2012, 12:57 AM
Kinda takes away dominance from Trump.

Too bad we can't say that about every other aspect of the Donald!

ThatOneGuy
Sep 3, 2012, 8:34 PM
TWT is probably my favourite building in NYC, but I don't mind if its dominance is lessened by this new tower.

NYguy
Nov 7, 2012, 12:18 AM
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/11/06/unneighboring_stalled_site_is_getting_foster_partners_tower.php

UN-Neighboring Stalled Site Is Getting Foster & Partners Tower

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/50UNplaza_12_11.jpg

November 6, 2012
by Sara Polsky

The development site at 50 United Nations Plaza has sat vacant since 2007, when Zeckendorf Development paid $160 million for it. But wishes come true sometimes, and it turns out there's finally something coming to the site!

A groundbreaking for a 44-story condo will be held November 14. As rumored back in December, the condo will be designed by Foster & Partners. (An earlier plan called for a 40-story tower designed by SLCE.) The Foster & Partners design calls for just 87 units, at around 2,500 square feet each, so that the building's diplomat residents could have plenty of space for entertaining. We haven't seen a rendering yet—anyone? Do be in touch.

Crawford
Nov 7, 2012, 12:28 AM
I'm glad this will be breaking ground, and hope Norman Foster has a world-class design for this site.

I wish it were taller than the current 44 floors, but I imagine these will be very high floors, and the old, 40-floor proposal was close to 600 ft, so this should be approaching 700 ft. if we're lucky? We'll see.

NYguy
Nov 7, 2012, 2:52 PM
Yeah, I don't mind the shorter tower, as long as its something that will be eye-catching, because its in a prominent location. The taller it is, the less it would need to rely on a design to be something noteworthy. A standard 44-story residential tower won't do it. We'll see how much of a roll Foster is on in Manhattan.

high.performer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/highperformer/8158160138/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/8158160138_7a400de695_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/8158160138_0734f5a63b_h.jpg

NYguy
Nov 9, 2012, 3:49 AM
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20121108/REAL_ESTATE/121109900

Residential tower to rise on stalled site
Zeckendorf Development will break ground on First Avenue next week with a 44-story condominium tower designed by British architect Norman Foster.

By Daniel Geiger
November 8, 2012

Zeckendorf Development, the developer whose residential building at 15 Central Park West has set a series of records for the most expensive apartment sales in the city, will break ground next week on a new building on the east side. Next Wednesday, the family, led by brothers William and Arthur, will begin construction on 50 United Nations Plaza, a new apartment tower the two will develop in a venture with Global Holdings, on First Avenue across from the United Nations.

The partnership has announced few details about the new property, other than that it will be 44 stories and that the noted British architect Norman Foster will design it. The residential condominium will be the first U.S. residential property designed by Mr. Foster, whose New York City credits include the acclaimed Hearst headquarters tower on Eight Avenue.

The builders have been quiet on what the new high-rise will look like and the amenities it will feature, but in promotional materials they boast that it will "set a new standard in luxury living" and will be "a milestone for architectural excellence."

Fifty United Nations Plaza's groundbreaking comes a time when an increasing number of residential projects are underway. In recent days, a partnership between the Carlyle Group and Flank Development purchased a parcel at 71 Smith Street in downtown Brooklyn for around $40 million with plans to build a 310,000 square foot condo building and hotel.

ThatOneGuy
Nov 9, 2012, 4:07 AM
I hope it doesn't distract too much from Trump World Tower.

NYguy
Nov 14, 2012, 7:06 AM
Can't post it right now, but there's a rendering in the Observer that looks exactly like the one we have.

Eidolon
Nov 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Can't post it right now, but there's a rendering in the Observer that looks exactly like the one we have.

http://observer.com/2012/11/presenting-the-next-15-cpw-zeckendorfs-unveil-50-un-plaza-norman-fosters-first-u-s-apartment-building/
Presenting the Next 15 CPW: Zeckendorfs Unveil 50 UN Plaza, Norman Foster’s First U.S. Apartment Building
By Matt Chaban

Add to that now 50 UN Plaza, a 44-story condo tower on the East Side that will be Lord Norman Foster’s first residential commission in the United States. Mr. Foster is well known for his work on the Hearst Tower, World Trade Center Tower 2 and the new Sperrone Westwater Gallery on the Bowery, as well as a new commission for 425 Park Avenue for L&L Holdings. With this latest commission, he cements his place as an all-around architectural power in the city.

Tomorrow morning, Arthur and William Lie Zeckendorf, real estate scions like few others, will break ground on the project at 345 East 46th Street, on the corner of First Avenue. The location will afford the project prime river views, as well as a prominent place on the skyline right between the United Nations headquarters and the Trump World Tower. The Observer has obtained an exclusive rendering of the project, which shows a glassy building of in the high-tech vein for which Foster + Partners is best known.

More demure than buildings like Hearst or the so-called Gerkin in London, 50 UN Plaza seems to strike the proper balance of brash understatement the Zeckendorf’s so seem to favor.

The project holds special significance for the Zeckendorf family, since they got their start at the United Nations. William Zeckendorf, Sr., assembled the land that Nelson Rockefeller than bought to build the United Nations complex, and Arthur and William Lie Zeckendorf’s maternal grandfather was Trygve Lie, who served as the first secretary general of the United Nations.

A special announcement of a gift to the neighboring Daag Hammarskjold Plaza park is expected at the ground breaking, with Borough President Scott Stringer in attendance, as well as local Councilman Dan Garodnick and Eyal Ofer, head of Global Holdings and a partner in both 50 UN Plaza and 18 Gramercy Park South.

The project will include 87 units, ranging from one-bedrooms as large as 1,100 square feet to three bedrooms as big as 3,000 square feet. There will also be a number of full-floor residences twice that size, as well as a penthouse duplex measuring some 10,000 square feet. Like at 15 Central Park West, one of the marquee features will be a private driveway. It is Lord Foster’s first American apartment tower, following on the success of work he did in Vancouver, at Jameson House, completed in 2004.

The development of 50 UN Plaza is expected to cost $500 million to build, with completion by the end of 2014. If it is even close to the success of 15 Central Park West, which sold $2 million worth of units when it first came on the market (and is worth probably twice that now given a gangbuster market for resales in the famed building), then the Zeckendorfs and their partners should have no problem making an easy return on their investment here.

It looks like have just wrested the crown of New York’s most luxurious development back from Gary Barnett.

While this render does make it more likeable, I was hoping for something better getting built here.
http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/50-unp_hero_final.jpg

pico44
Nov 14, 2012, 12:43 PM
Couldn't Foster have made this interesting in some way? At all? Come one man, Costas Kondylis is going to take a metaphorical acrhitectural dump on your head for everyone to see for a hundred years. Have some pride man!

I mean, I'm sure it'll look nice and all, nice materials and all that; but mmmmeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

NYguy
Nov 14, 2012, 1:00 PM
Yeah, it is a bit of a let down, at least to look at...

It looks like have just wrested the crown of New York’s most luxurious development back from Gary Barnett.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There are other developments both under construction and in the works that could hold that title.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/realestate/commercial/izzling_sum_for_scoop_bldg_6jrycoDTroRdtKNONpYomK

November 14, 2012
By Lois Weiss

Zeckendorf Development and Eyal Ofer’s Global Holdings break ground this morning on the construction of an 87-unit luxury condominium at 50 United Nations Plaza. The 44-story, 570-foot tall building is opposite the United Nations complex along First Avenue and E. 46th Street just south of Trump World Tower.

While SLCE still appears as architect of record, Norman Foster’s Foster + Partners has taken over for architectural accolades. This is Foster’s first residential building, and it will have a prominent place on the East River skyline.

A new rendering of the facade shows it echoes the half circles of the Corinthian residential condo a few blocks south on First Avenue. Under a new unit plan, the 241,624 square feet will have four apartments per floor up to the 17th floor, two per floor from the 18th to 34th floors, one apiece from 35 to 42, and one duplex penthouse. The old plan had two duplexes on the top four floors.

When it opens, the building will have a restaurant and a fitness center with a pool. There will also be parking for 87 cars — one for every residence — a big plus from the original plans that called for a paltry 17 spaces.

sbarn
Nov 14, 2012, 1:35 PM
Holy crap thats ugly. C'mon Foster, you can do better!

yankeesfan1000
Nov 14, 2012, 2:31 PM
Was hoping for a redesign, on the plus side it looks less gold than the previous renderings suggested I guess. Still disappointing.

fimiak
Nov 14, 2012, 4:45 PM
Disgusting building. The top 50' especially is just horrible. The way the windows protrude from the front of the building screams 80s. The fact that there are no changes to the facade from top to bottom makes everything about it worse. This needs a bigger base or a glass front or something.

I could live with it if they do something about the top and do something to make the base more appealing. Nobody in their right mind is going to think this building is more luxurious than 30 CPW in its current shape.

khaizer007
Nov 14, 2012, 5:21 PM
I don't think I've ever been that disapointed which a building with such hype and with such a reputable architect. I mean...wow!...I'm speechless.

sbarn
Nov 14, 2012, 5:24 PM
Disgusting building. The top 50' especially is just horrible. The way the windows protrude from the front of the building screams 80s. The fact that there are no changes to the facade from top to bottom makes everything about it worse. This needs a bigger base or a glass front or something.

I could live with it if they do something about the top and do something to make the base more appealing. Nobody in their right mind is going to think this building is more luxurious than 30 CPW in its current shape.

I had the same exact thought.

NYguy
Nov 14, 2012, 9:08 PM
Nobody in their right mind is going to think this building is more luxurious than 30 CPW in its current shape.

It's a plain looking building, but the luxury doesn't come from the outside. If that were the case, every building could be considered "luxury".

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6353

Condo of the Nations
Foster + Partners bringing global luxury to the UN's front door

http://archpaper.com/uploads/image/foster_un_01.jpg

Alan G. Brake

In the latest sign that high-end real estate development is resuming in New York, Zeckendorf Development with Global Holdings is breaking ground on a new 44-story luxury condominium tower designed by Foster + Partners. The 87-unit building will be located across the street from the United Nations Secretariat building and will offer views of the East River and the Chrysler Building.

Perhaps in deference to the purity of the Secretariat building, Foster’s design for the tower, which will be called 50 United Nations Plaza, is fairly buttoned up. “The slender proportion of 50 United Nations Plaza is attenuated by the vertical stacks of the bay windows,” Norman Foster said in a statement. “The polished stainless-steel detailing of the facade is in the spirit of earlier historic towers in the city, and reflects the sharp quality of light which is special to New York.”

Though it overlooks an institution dedicated to promoting global equality and human rights, 50 United Nations Plaza is clearly intended for the so-called 1 percent. The building will include a 10,000-square-foot, two-floor penthouse unit with a rooftop infinity pool. Smaller units will range from 1,100 to 6,000 square feet, with ceiling heights ranging from 10 to 16 feet. Additional amenities include a private motor court and reserved resident parking. The project will also include 5,000 square feet of retail space along First Avenue.

As an offering to the neighborhood, the developers are giving $100,000 to the Friends of Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, a non-profit that supports maintenance and programming of that public space. The money will be earmarked to hire a landscape architect to tie the development’s grounds to Dag Hammarskjold Plaza. While hurricane-related flooding has forced the evacuation of many riverside buildings, top-tier residential development appears, thus far, unfazed. Perhaps that is the trick to New York’s continued growth and success: selective blindness and boundless bank accounts.

http://archpaper.com/uploads/foster_un_02.jpg

We still have this one to get built...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=156584

NYguy
Nov 15, 2012, 12:40 AM
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/11/14/zeckendorfs-50-united-nations-plaza-breaks-ground-photos/

Zeckendorfs’ 50 UN Plaza breaks ground: PHOTOS

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Arthur-Zeckendorf.jpg

November 14, 2012
By Guelda Voien

Known as 50 United Nations Plaza, the 44-story project at 47th Street and First Avenue was stalled for four years during the recession, but today the developers revealed new renderings from architect Foster + Partners – the architecture firm’s first U.S. residential project.

Armstrong Yakubu, a partner with Foster, called the partnership of Zeckendorf Development and Global one of his toughest clients ever — which brought laughter from the audience — but insisted it was a compliment. “They pushed us to create something unique,” he said.

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/L-R-Alan-Kersner-Stephen-Kliegerman.jpg

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/L-R-Arthur-Zeckendorf-William-Zeckendorf-2.jpg

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/L-R-Judy-Kessler-William-Zeckendorf.jpg

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Zeckendorf-Developemenmt-andGlobal-Holdings-Present-50-United-Nations-Plaza.jpg

Crawford
Nov 15, 2012, 12:45 AM
I don't think this is the Foster design, because it's the exact same rendering that was released three years ago, before Foster was even involved (it was previously SLCE architects).

So, unless Norman Foster is just being paid to be a spokesman or something, I don't see how this is the correct rendering. Nothing has changed, even as all the building permits changed.

Also, they never presented the rendering at the groundbreaking. The rendering is from NY Post. So I'm guessing the Post is just using the previously released rendering.

Though who knows. I guess we'll see once the website is up and sales offiically begin.

NYguy
Nov 15, 2012, 3:02 AM
We could hope, but all signs point to this being the design. It was even partially revealed on another website, but I didn't think this could possibly be it.
It's the same rendering all outlets are using, if it were the wrong one that would have been corrected by now. The description at least seems to back up the rendering...

Perhaps in deference to the purity of the Secretariat building, Foster’s design for the tower, which will be called
50 United Nations Plaza, is fairly buttoned up. “The slender proportion of 50 United Nations Plaza is attenuated by
the vertical stacks of the bay windows,” Norman Foster said in a statement. “The polished stainless-steel detailing
of the facade is in the spirit of earlier historic towers in the city, and reflects the sharp quality of light which is
special to New York.”

An even closer look...

http://www.designboom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/50UN01.jpg
http://www.designboom.com/architecture/foster-partners-50-un-plaza-residential-tower-new-york/

http://www.designboom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/50UN04.jpg

http://newconstructionmanhattan.com/blog/2012/11/new-gem-on-the-nyc-skyline-50-un-plaza
http://newconstructionmanhattan.com/sites/default/files/uploads/50_un_plaza.jpeg

SkyscrapersOfNewYork
Nov 15, 2012, 6:06 AM
That isn't architectural excellence....

NYguy
Nov 29, 2012, 6:15 PM
http://www.cpexecutive.com/cities/new-york/jv-breaks-ground-on-500m-luxury-residential-tower/

JV Breaks Ground on $500M Luxury Residential Tower

By Veronica Grecu
November 28, 2012

50 United Nations Plaza is expected to open at the end of 2014. It will include 87 apartments with generous layouts ranging in size from 1,100 square feet for one-bedroom units to 3,000 square feet for three-bedroom apartments. Every apartment unit will feature floor-to-ceiling bay windows varying from 10 to 16 feet and luxurious interiors with vast entertaining areas, according to a project description by Foster + Partners.

For prospective residents looking for even larger units, the design plans also include full-floor homes of 6,000 square feet and a two-floor penthouse with 10,000 square feet of living space and an infinity pool cut out from the tower’s top level. Residents will also have access to an exclusive garage with 87 parking spaces, a private garden leading to a lobby and a high-end restaurant. In addition, the structure will encompass around 5,000 square feet of ground floor retail space.

The building’s scale will be visually attenuated by three slender volumes and the use of vertical stacks of bay windows linked horizontally by stainless steel tubes. By incorporating a mix of green features such as recycled materials, highly insulated glazing and reflective panels, the tower will be one of New York City’s most environmentally friendly apartment buildings.

yankeesfan1000
Jan 6, 2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks to Woonsocket54 on SSC (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=98937925&postcount=23) for the photos. Looks like this can be moved.

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/2812/manhattan2013010600730.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/5313/manhattan2013010600731.jpg

NYguy
Feb 8, 2013, 1:19 AM
I guess it will blend with Trump a little...

Mister Sinister (http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorsinister/8452233587/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8389/8452233587_44e6c17a7e_b.jpg

sbarn
Feb 8, 2013, 3:25 AM
Seems like this should be moved to construction...

RoldanTTLB
Feb 10, 2013, 2:21 AM
The market has gotten so hot in NY the 80s are back in style.

Duck From NY
Feb 10, 2013, 1:36 PM
I'm skeptical, but if the textures/materials look exactly like this, I think it'll be a good addition. The three bubble canopy windows per floor could look great.

http://newconstructionmanhattan.com/sites/default/files/uploads/50_un_plaza.jpeg

THE BIG APPLE
Feb 10, 2013, 3:56 PM
It was designed to surely complement TWT not compete with it. Look at the black toned shutters to the sides and the bottom of all the windows. The only thing separating it from a TWT copy is the gold stripes.

yankeesfan1000
Mar 3, 2013, 4:02 PM
Thanks to EastMillinocket on WNY (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7822&page=10&p=425071&viewfull=1#post425071) for the photos.

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/6994/1006444r.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/8790/1006445b.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/9103/1006446e.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/9972/1006447s.jpg

NYguy
Mar 3, 2013, 8:36 PM
Looks like it will be rising quickly. I hope their other new tower on E. 60th rises soon also.

Tectonic
Mar 3, 2013, 9:34 PM
What's the other tower?

sbarn
Mar 4, 2013, 5:04 AM
Is that the core or the whole tower (incl. floor plates)? Kind of confused what we're looking at in those pictures... :shrug:

babybackribs2314
Mar 11, 2013, 3:33 PM
Several pics of the progress, it's moving right along. Already at the sixth floor. :)

50 UN Plaza March 2013 Update (http://www.yimbynews.com/2013/03/construction-update-50-un-plaza.html)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DOMtYOxN5Kc/UT1johuUWtI/AAAAAAAAAKI/npzR5iOly5I/s640/50unplaza1.JPG

DURKEY427
Mar 11, 2013, 4:39 PM
I wonder why they used a diffrent background in the renders compared to the one it will have from that angle.

Design-mind
Mar 11, 2013, 5:56 PM
Seems like yesterday this was just a proposal and now they are pouring the 6th floor! Glad to see that this area around the UN is getting filled in a bit.

NYCLuver
Mar 30, 2013, 2:11 AM
March 29th, 2013

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee429/dkny622/IMG_0256.jpg

babybackribs2314
Apr 10, 2013, 2:42 PM
Rapid progress now. Roughly 15 stories, only 30 to go!

50 UN Plaza April 2013 Construction Update (http://www.yimbynews.com/2013/04/construction-update-50-un-plaza.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-A1VRQByRFcA/UWTzbVP0LCI/AAAAAAAAT_A/dfr8Pvr-ljE/s640/50unplaza6.jpeg

Danielson27
Apr 14, 2013, 4:46 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8379/8649254200_2ac5032d77_b.jpg

Tectonic
Apr 14, 2013, 11:17 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/68916_10151421116317903_687494840_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/58953_10151421116347903_1353566633_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/164256_10151421116352903_698688245_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/59229_10151421116382903_1542161495_n.jpg

©tectonic

sbarn
Apr 16, 2013, 8:08 PM
Rising quickly. I'm guessing this will be topped out by late fall?

Thanks for the updates!

NYguy
Apr 17, 2013, 11:27 PM
This one really is rising very fast. From what we see so far, I think it will turn out nicer than the renderings.

Danielson27
May 2, 2013, 3:19 AM
this one has flown under the radar 22 floors and cladding has started!!! :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8264/8699884155_dc27c791ea_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8395/8701006490_c6c24d9e00_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8278/8699883077_2f31f24b18_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8415/8699882831_94461a6ce7_b.jpg

yankeesfan1000
May 2, 2013, 11:00 AM
Cladding looks promising.

NYguy
May 2, 2013, 11:54 AM
They are making up for lost time.

Design-mind
May 2, 2013, 3:29 PM
I am liking the cladding, and it looks like they have used some quality glazing. I think this will turn out better than the renderings IMHO.

sbarn
May 30, 2013, 4:39 AM
More cladding going up:

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/8580/dscf1002m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/7394/dscf1003g.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/855/dscf1004gr.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/1331/dscf1005iz.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/2082/dscf1006i.jpg

Photos from EastMillinocket (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7822&page=11) @ WNY

Antares41
May 30, 2013, 5:18 PM
From the little I can see, I'll say the glass looks stunning thusfar. This has the promise of being 100% better than the illustrated rendering, thus adding to a nice complement of buildings on midtown's east side.

NYguy
Jun 6, 2013, 4:54 AM
Video
http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2013-06-05/zeckendorfs-court-global-buyers-with-new-un-condos#r=lr-fst

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-06-06/manhattan-s-zeckendorfs-embrace-global-buyers-with-new-un-condos

Manhattan’s Zeckendorfs Embrace Global Buyers With New UN Condos

http://www.bloomberg.com/image/ic2vAEaqUcZY.jpg

http://www.bloomberg.com/image/irvIGPYQ_ak4.jpg

By Oshrat Carmiel
June 06, 2013

The United Nations Secretariat building is visible from every floor of 50 UN Plaza, Arthur and William Lie Zeckendorf’s latest Manhattan luxury-condominium project. It’s also a potential source of buyers.

The development, a 44-story tower under construction on First Avenue near 46th street, will be the Turtle Bay neighborhood’s first new residential project in a dozen years and is poised to set price records for the area. It’s located across the street from the UN, which is built on land assembled by the Zeckendorfs’ grandfather more than half a century ago.

“If you’re a UN ambassador posted here, you can’t get a better location than this,” said Arthur Zeckendorf, standing in a hard hat on what will be the 19th floor of the condo building.

The project is a departure for the Zeckendorf brothers, whose dual limestone towers at 15 Central Park West set the standard for trophy apartments favored by Wall Street bankers and the rest of Manhattan’s local elite. At 50 UN Plaza, they are seeking to lure some of the wealthy buyers from around the world who are fueling demand and price increases at towers such as One57 and 432 Park Ave.

The latest project’s look also will be different, trading the signature style of Robert A.M. Stern -- the New York architect who designed 15 Central Park West and the Zeckendorfs’ 18 Gramercy Park -- for stainless steel and glass. For 50 UN Plaza, the developers turned to Foster + Partners, the London-based firm run by Norman Foster, whose credits include the UK capital’s city hall, Singapore’s Supreme Court and a terminal at Beijing Airport that’s among the world’s biggest buildings. The firm is also designing Bloomberg LP’s European headquarters in London.

International Style

“It was definitely a decision to do a very modern, international-style building, whereas 15 Central Park West and 18 Gramercy are Stern-designed, traditional Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue-type buildings,” said Arthur Zeckendorf, 53. “That was a major decision point: How to design the outside to appeal to your buyer.”

On the exterior, bay windows are stacked on top of one other, threaded together by a horizontal grid of stainless steel and forming three columns that run the length of the building. “Highly reflective” fritted, or textured, glass panels run vertically between the bays, giving the tower a jewel-like appearance, William Zeckendorf, 54, said during a tour of the site in April.

The windows offer residents the “perfect architectural angle” for viewing the UN Secretariat, his brother said as he stood at the edge of one of the bay protrusions, shielded at the time only by orange netting.

City ‘Oasis’

The entrance to 50 UN Plaza’s 6,000-square-foot-lobby, currently a tangle of cinderblocks, will feature a waterfall that will cost as much as $1 million to design and construct, William said.

“Fire and water are the elements of life,” Arthur said. “You come in from the city and it’s an oasis.”

The developers are in talks with a “top restaurant operator” to occupy a 2,000-square-foot venue at the base of the tower, with an open-air terrace facing the UN. The restaurant would provide room service and a private dining area for residents, William said.

New York is No. 1 on a list of “cities that matter” to high-net-worth individuals, according to the 2013 “Wealth Report” by Knight Frank LLP, a London-based real estate consulting firm. The city’s real estate has come “to epitomize the so-called safe-haven market, with overseas buyers looking to escape currency, economic, political and security crises by putting equity into tangible assets,” according to the report.

...at the UN site, the Zeckendorfs see interest coming not just from overseas but from across the street. Standing in their not-yet-finished project, Arthur looked north to Trump World Tower at 845 UN Plaza, and the twin cooperative buildings that his grandfather conceived at 860 and 870 UN Plaza.

“There will be some buyers from all of them,” he said. “We want to be the trade-up building in any given submarket.”

NYguy
Jun 17, 2013, 12:39 PM
Alaina H. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alainarose/9042468032/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/9042468032_cb49c6d147_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/9042468032_576292e2a1_h.jpg

beanhead4529 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8379824@N07/9053969607/sizes/h/in/photostream/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/9053969607_bb07994721_h.jpg

Tectonic
Jun 17, 2013, 12:48 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/972287_10151519784022903_993815673_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/189018_10151519784017903_1737761784_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1002406_10151519784162903_1788404393_n.jpg
©tectonic

ThatOneGuy
Jun 18, 2013, 4:20 AM
The dark blue cladding is awesome.

And HOLY F*****G SH*T does Trump World Tower looks cool in that picture!!!

Fardeb
Jun 18, 2013, 6:38 AM
^ Took the words right out of my mouth. Pitch black monolith with orange glow coming from behind it, such a cool shot.

Danielson27
Jun 30, 2013, 10:30 PM
Pics from today!
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5508/9179276692_7984625d9a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7407/9179278562_895cf3daac_b.jpg

miesian
Jun 30, 2013, 10:53 PM
You know, I've been a little disappointed with Foster lately---but I see know that this will be great. The massing, the skin, the color-------forgive me, Norman. :gkwillie:

NYguy
Jul 3, 2013, 11:01 PM
Tim Drivas (http://www.flickr.com/photos/timdrivas/9200569271/sizes/h/in/photostream/)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2823/9200569271_0d6d7a8514_h.jpg

mrnyc
Jul 4, 2013, 11:44 AM
oh this is between the turkish embassy and the plaza. you can't get anymore prime than that for the united nations ambassadors. sounds like the cladding is quality, but i'm witholding judgement for now, lets wait a bit and see what foster can do here.