PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan city has lessons for Calgary

M II A II R II K
Sep 18, 2010, 4:42 PM
Alaskan city has lessons for Calgary

September 18, 2010

By Richard White

Read More: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Alaskan+city+lessons+Calgary/3543746/story.html

For me, a vacation isn't about sitting back and relaxing -- it is about exploring how cities work and don't work. As a result of a home exchange with friends, I got to explore Anchorage, Alaska, for 10 days this past summer. Although Anchorage wasn't on my list of must-see cities, when opportunity knocks, you take advantage of it. Some quick, pre-trip research on Anchorage got me excited. This city of almost 300,000 people is surrounded by the Turnagain Arm fjord -- which has some of the largest tides in the world -- and the Chugach Mountains to create what is called the Anchorage Bowl.

- With mountains and water, it is not surprising that Anchorage is a recreational mecca: Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, Flattop Mountain trails, world-class cross-country skiing trails in Kincaid Park (think Fish Creek Park) and more than 650 kilometres of walking and cycling trails within its city limits. Like Calgary, Anchorage is a young city with a median age of 32 -- and yes, they love their toys, such as SUVs, ATVs, pickups, bikes, as well as boats of all types and planes. Yes, planes. Anchorage boasts more pilots per capita than any other city in the world -- one registered pilot for every 58 residents.

- There is even a residential development in the city, the Flying Crown district in the Oceanview subdivision, where residents park their planes in their backyards and take off from a private grass airstrip. This adds a whole new dimension to having a back alley. The first lesson I learned was how to live in the suburbs and "flaneur" with a car instead of the usual foot and transit shuffle.

Lessons learned:

- Flaneuring with a vehicle can be fun.

- Importance of flowers in humanizing urban spaces.

- It doesn't get much better than pizza, movie and beer at Bearstooth Theatre Pub.

- Focus on timeless architecture not the fad of the day.

- Hospital/airport as museum brings art to where the people already are.

- To develop a sense of the uniqueness of each of the nine different Alaskan native communities. Like a museum, the centre also had a small but well-stocked gift shop that is open limited hours.

- What I also learned was that art seemed so much more authentic in this environment, which was full of indigenous people.

- Anchorage also embraces the idea of an airport as museum at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

- A lookout lounge in a loft area serves not only as a great place to watch the comings and goings of planes, there are also 21 display cases -- each, again, with a different genre of native art, from whalebone and dolls and from ivory to wood carvings. I was fascinated by the contemporary native art that incorporated many found objects with native imagery to create provocative objects that would fit nicely into any international contemporary exhibition.

- When you think West Coast Playground (entertainment/adventure/ recreation), I expect Los Angeles, San Francisco or Vancouver pop to mind for most people. However, for those lusting for new urban experiences, Anchorage could well be the West Coast's new urban playground -- and a showcase for some thought-provoking ideas that Calgarians could experiment with.

freeweed
Sep 18, 2010, 11:28 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand the point of this at all.

devonb
Sep 18, 2010, 11:57 PM
Does the article say what the lessons are?

MR. Cosmopolitan
Sep 19, 2010, 12:40 AM
I don't get why this spawl town with flowers in it's downtown should be an example for Calgary.
I really can't imagine how having the choice to move by foot, bike, transit and car can be worst to the choice of using a car or a car as mode of transportation.

O-tacular
Sep 19, 2010, 3:28 AM
How exactly does this only apply to Calgary? Couldn't the same be said about any other metropolis vs. a small isolated city like Anchorage? By that logic all major cities should just become tourist towns with kitschy nick knack stores and residents should all fly small planes. I'm sorry but wtf? :koko:

Cowtown_Tim
Sep 19, 2010, 3:30 PM
This is a weird article. Should we take these lessons and now include airstrips with all the new housing? I know Bigtime would like that, but seriously...

outoftheice
Sep 19, 2010, 4:52 PM
Richard White has been writing these articles in the Herald for quite some time now. In each articles he examines a city that he's visited. The first two thirds of the articles normally discusses what aspects of his chosen city he finds different from Calgary and what makes it unique. The last bit of the article is always his "Lessons Learned" on the different concepts of his chosen city he feels we could experiment with in Calgary. Personally I quite enjoy them as I think we need to look around the world for successful ideas more often. He also isn't afraid to to address ideas that have fallen out of favour here in Calgary (an example in this article is cruising around town in your car instead of walking) and acknowledge that there maybe be some benefit to them. Now before I get jumped, I'm not saying I agree we should build a city based around cruising in your car, but we do need to acknowledge that people generally like to do this and to ignore the fact completely will set us up to fail. If I recall correctly, Richard White was head of the Calgary Downtown Association for years and played a large role working with the City on policies for the area. The fact that he's using these articles to continue to express ideas on how to shape Calgary isn't exactly surprising. Two "Lessons Learned" from this article that I think we should try to incorporate into Calgary are his "Hospital/airport as museum brings art to where the people already are" and "Importance of flowers in humanizing urban spaces" statements.

Witty Nickname
Sep 25, 2010, 10:23 PM
Maybe Calgary should get HAARP # 2?