PDA

View Full Version : Should a CFL have a nautical related name?

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 12, 2010, 4:08 AM
I personally think no. It shouldn't be a boat name or something rediculous like that.

fenwick16
Sep 12, 2010, 4:24 AM
I like the Atlantic Schooners name but it could be anything as long as the HRM gets a stadium and CFL team.

Keith P.
Sep 12, 2010, 2:35 PM
Doesn't matter to me as long as it's not a stupid name like "Rainmen".

I believe the "Schooners" name was proposed as a result of a possible partnership between the proponents and Olands. Since Schooner beer is no longer a brand they promote or even advertise, I doubt that makes any sense these days.

joeyedm
Sep 12, 2010, 3:19 PM
this is the maritimes after all.....everything has to have a light house and nautical theme to it.

Welkin
Sep 12, 2010, 5:53 PM
I love the name Tridents. I don't care if it is the Halifax Tridents or the Atlantic Tridents, but I think it would make a great team nickname. Tridents have been symbols of naval power for centuries. Statues of Britannia always show her holding a trident to symbolize naval power. Tridents were also used by gladiators in ancient Rome during battle. A trident also has great marketing capabilities because its simple basic design would work with almost every product. A helmet with a trident on the side would look classy and uncluttered. Imagine 25,000 Trident's fans waving their tridents at the opposing team.

Keith P.
Sep 12, 2010, 6:47 PM
I love the name Tridents. I don't care if it is the Halifax Tridents or the Atlantic Tridents, but I think it would make a great team nickname. Tridents have been symbols of naval power for centuries. Statues of Britannia always show her holding a trident to symbolize naval power. Tridents were also used by gladiators in ancient Rome during battle. A trident also has great marketing capabilities because its simple basic design would work with almost every product. A helmet with a trident on the side would look classy and uncluttered. Imagine 25,000 Trident's fans waving their tridents at the opposing team.

Plus, there could be a chewing gum sponsorship!!!! :haha:

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 15, 2010, 5:24 AM
I don't think the team name should be an object... its not very inspirational. Nova Scotia VLTs anyone? lol

I think an animal or tribe/royalty name is more traditional.

NS Eagles or Osprey would be good... or NS Kings.

hfx_chris
Sep 19, 2010, 11:39 PM
Nova Scotia Sea Kings :cool:

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 20, 2010, 12:11 AM
lol... that team would lack consistent performance!

Welkin
Sep 20, 2010, 2:35 AM
Here is a list of some suggestions I have pulled off other threads. Should the name start with Halifax, Atlantic or Nova Scotia?

Halifax Tridents
Halifax Armada
Halifax Sharks
Halifax Schooners
Halifax Ironclads
Halifax Destroyers
Halifax Great Whites
Halifax Pirates
Halifax Buccaneers
Halifax Hawks
Halifax Whales or Whalers
Halifax Osprey
Halifax Neptunes
Halifax Anchors
Halifax Explosion
Halifax Humpbacks
Halifax Puffins
Halifax Sea Gulls
Halifax Harriers
Halifax Sea Monsters
Halifax Sea Devils
Halifax Mariners

q12
Sep 20, 2010, 4:42 PM
Given our recent weather over the last decade, I'd say:

Halifax Hurricanes

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Carolina_Hurricanes.svg

Image Source: wikipedia

And put a football in the centre of the logo.

Calgarian
Sep 20, 2010, 4:48 PM
I don't think a team in Halifax should have a nautical or marine theme to it just because Halifax is a coastal city. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to the idea, I just think other options should be considered. Whatever you do, just don't call them anything along the lines of Roughriders, we already had 2 team in the league with that name and it was kind of stupid. lol

halifaxboyns
Sep 20, 2010, 5:34 PM
Hurricanes - I love it.
Both as a joke to the recent weather but also from the symbolic (we'll blow down our competition). I laughed when I saw hurricanes though; I'm still cleaning my monitor from the spit coffee lol.

hfx_chris
Sep 20, 2010, 10:20 PM
Halifax Hurricanes
Actually...I really like that. It even sounds good.
I also like Sea Devils from Welkin's list.

However I gotta admit, there's something I hate about cliched names. Animal names are always good though.

Lions, Tiger-Cats, Alouettes - good names
Stampeders, Roughriders, Renegades, Eskimos - not so good names
And then the sports franchises with names that may not immediately be apparent as to what they mean. Blue Bombers, Argonauts... good names.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
What about something related to the city's involvement in the wars?

Even "Halifax Citadels" would be a good name for a new football franchise.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 22, 2010, 12:18 AM
Also, I love how the vote is now split!

Distill3d
Sep 22, 2010, 12:31 AM
I've always thought it should be the Atlantic Schooners or Halifax Citadels.

hfx_chris
Sep 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
I could go for the Citadels, however I wonder if that would cause any issues with people, and the former AHL Halifax Citadels.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 24, 2010, 12:17 AM
I could go for the Citadels, however I wonder if that would cause any issues with people, and the former AHL Halifax Citadels.

lol, i don't think the name is owned by anybody currently... and it won't be worth much if it was.

I really like the Citadels old logo and jersey.

Phalanx
Sep 24, 2010, 1:23 AM
...No one takes the fort?

I hate the name 'Schooners', personally (mostly just the sound of the word - a personal bias, I know). Destroyers (as mentioned previously) or Dreadnoughts have more of an intimidation factor if you want to go with a type of ship...

I'm not opposed to a nautical themed name, but I don't think it has to be nautical. There's lots of other suitable symbolism and history in the region. You could play on the 'New Scotland' Scottish theme (Highlanders? Claymores?), for example.

...We could even go with Acadians just to spite Moncton. (I kid, I kid)

MonctonRad
Sep 25, 2010, 3:14 AM
We could even go with Acadians just to spite Moncton. (I kid, I kid)

You can have the "Acadian" name if you want.........

I prefer the Moncton Express myself.....

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5064/mctexpress.jpg

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Keith P.
Sep 25, 2010, 1:31 PM
And with their first loss, you can predict the headline: "Express Derailed". :yuck:

MonctonRad
Sep 25, 2010, 1:54 PM
And with their first loss, you can predict the headline: "Express Derailed". :yuck:

:lmao: :tup:

beyeas
Sep 25, 2010, 2:12 PM
And much like the railyard, given time the Express will be packing up and leaving when it becomes uneconomic. :banana:

hfx_chris
Sep 25, 2010, 5:35 PM
...No one takes the fort?

Exactly.
I shudder at the thought.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 25, 2010, 7:32 PM
And much like the railyard, given time the Express will be packing up and leaving when it becomes uneconomic. :banana:

lol :cheers: