PDA

View Full Version : Portlandia

bvpcvm
Sep 10, 2010, 4:47 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/ent_impact_tvfilm/print.html?entry=/2010/09/portlandia_--_scheduled_to_deb.html

IFC's 'Portlandia' crew says joke won't be on our fair city

Published: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 8:39 PM Updated: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 9:10 PM

http://media.oregonlive.com//avatars/userpic-2716-100x100.png Kristi Turnquist, The Oregonian

http://media.oregonlive.com/ent_impact_tvfilm/photo/portlandiajpg-2d98564aa9d87997_large.jpg
View full size
Faith Cathcart/The Oregonian

Fred Armisen of "Saturday Night Live" (from left) and Carrie Brownstein, formerly of the band Sleater-Kinney, with Jonathan Krisel, the co-creater of "Portlandia," answer questions from the media about their new comedy series.
Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein and the producers of "Portlandia" want to stress that the TV series, which has been filming in town for the past several weeks, won't be making fun of Portland.

Brownstein, who moved here in 2001 from Olympia, says there's no single, simple way to depict Portland.

The image that has taken hold in national media -- of our town as terribly hip and creative -- "even Portlanders find obnoxious," Brownstein says.

Since the announcement early last month that "Portlandia" -- scheduled to debut in January on cable network IFC -- would be based and shoot in Portland, locals have been wondering how our city will come off. Producers and stars of the show assure Portlanders it won't poke fun at the city or its people -- and they also point out that, while it films here, locals will fill most of the production's job openings.

"Portlandia" features Armisen, Brownstein and guest stars satirizing such alternative-culture types as the owners of a feminist book store, a bike messenger, a punk-rock couple, and an arty duo obsessed with putting little cut-outs of birds on anything they lay their hands on. Each half-hour episode will consist of interwoven short films, with some characters recurring from week-to-week.

Armisen, best known as a "Saturday Night Live" cast member, and Brownstein, best known as a member of the critically acclaimed, now-dissolved band Sleater-Kinney, talked about "Portlandia" on Thursday at a lunch/press event held at Besaw's, the Northwest Portland restaurant. They were joined by producers Andrew Singer and Jonathan Krisel, also a writer and director of the series.

The show has its roots in a series of satirical videos Armisen and Brownstein did under the name "Thunderant." After IFC announced the show last month, some OregonLive.com commenters wrote that the series sounded like it would focus on "Portland stereotypes," and called the creators "trend-sucking hipsters."

But Singer and Krisel took pains Thursday to say no offense is intended. Portland will not be the butt of the jokes, Krisel says. "Most of the time, these two" -- he points to Armisen and Brownstein -- "are the butt of the joke." He says Portland will get the last laugh.

Armisen says "Portlandia" won't be limited to hipster images or to humor. "We don't even know if it's necessarily comedy," he says.

Unlike "Leverage," the hour-long TNT series that films here but is set in Boston, in "Portlandia" our city will star as itself.

David Cress, the Portland-based line producer, says he can't reveal the "Portlandia" budget, but describes it as "pretty modest." He says most of the crew, from 40 to 50 people, are local. Beyond that, local extras and actors have been hired, and more than 100 local businesses have provided goods and services.

Cress, who also worked on Gus Van Sant's most recent film, "Restless," and the local director's "Paranoid Park," says it's not surprising to see creative cable TV projects shooting in Portland. "A lot of the best creative (talent) now is migrating to television."

After lunch, the cast and crew head to Elements Glass, a glass-blowing art gallery and workshop space in Northwest Portland, to film a scene. The warehouse has high ceilings, and shelves filled with items such as a glass unicorn and a glass bowl with little birds on it. A friendly black Lab, Hector, wanders around.

The crew crowds around Armisen, while visitors are seated at the opposite end of the space to watch on three small monitors. In the scene, Armisen, wearing a shaggy brown wig, talks about his character's artisanal glass light bulbs. Like most of "Portlandia," it's heavily improvised, as Armisen tries out various explanations of why the character, "Robert Wilson," is a light-bulb artisan.

His bulbs take six months to make, don't last very long, don't cast much light, and cost $68, Armisen says. He holds one up to the camera. "Isn't she a beauty?" he says. "I'm gonna call this one ... Rebecca."

The six episodes of "Portlandia" ordered so far will feature appearances by guest stars including Steve Buscemi, Heather Graham, Jason Sudeikis ("Saturday Night Live"), Aubrey Plaza ("Parks and Recreation") and Kyle MacLachlan, who plays the mayor of Portland. Portland Mayor Sam Adams has a small role in the first episode as the mayor's assistant.

During a break, Singer mentions that one of the episodes featuring MacLachlan focuses on his character being jealous that Seattle has a baseball team -- but Portland doesn't.

While that particular plot has the ring of current events in Portland, where the Beavers baseball team played its final game last weekend, Singer says that was "accidental happenstance." MacLachlan's mayor character, Singer says, "has a big chip on his shoulder about feeling inferior to Seattle."

-- Kristi Turnquist
© 2010 OregonLive.com. All rights reserved.

crow
Sep 12, 2010, 6:36 PM
I wonder if they will show the guys at Elements Glass working? Ian and Aaron are pretty cool and uber talented guys.

Do we know when the show might air? It sounds like it will be fun to watch, even if it does not last.

JordanL
Dec 18, 2010, 4:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_9CzLCbkY

"Portland is a city where young people go to retire."

:haha:

Oh, I love it.

urbanlife
Dec 18, 2010, 8:51 AM
oh wow, this might become my new favorite show.

Eco_jt
Dec 19, 2010, 12:50 AM
seriously can't wait for this show to air...and funny funny funny video

JordanL
Dec 19, 2010, 2:24 AM
Hahaha...

I can't stop watching it over and over...

Can't wait for this show.

zilfondel
Dec 19, 2010, 3:02 AM
What show?

I cracked the location, tho. The beginning was shot on NE 22nd and Flanders, 1 block south of Sandy in Portland. :D

RoseCtyRoks
Dec 19, 2010, 5:31 AM
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/12/17/fred-armisen-carrie-brownstein-welcome-you-to-ifcs-new-comedy-portlandia-video/75876

Portlandia ---Jan. 21st on IFC.....should be interesting!! Fred Armisen is guaranteed to make you laugh! :haha:

dintares
Dec 25, 2010, 8:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIyI94acJv4 :)

zilfondel
Dec 28, 2010, 5:56 AM
omg, that trailer was terrific!

2oh1
Jan 2, 2011, 9:18 PM
“The strange thing we all noticed,” she said, “is no matter how far out on a limb we went, we always ran into that person within two days.”

Portlandia, in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/arts/television/02portlandia.html?_r=3)

I love Portland, but I'm not excited to see our city presented as a series of cliches. Granted, we have more than our fair share of people who choose to be nothing more than a walking, talking chiche, but Portland is so much more than that.

The funny thing is this idea of being nonconformist in Portland. Seriously? Nonconformist? The people who conform entirely so they can have the right look? So they can be hipster enough to be hipster? Nonconformist? THAT'S comedy!

philopdx
Jan 2, 2011, 11:54 PM
I love Portland, but I'm not excited to see our city presented as a series of cliches. Granted, we have more than our fair share of people who choose to be nothing more than a walking, talking chiche, but Portland is so much more than that.

The funny thing is this idea of being nonconformist in Portland. Seriously? Nonconformist? The people who conform entirely so they can have the right look? So they can be hipster enough to be hipster? Nonconformist? THAT'S comedy!

A non-conformist here would wear the uniform de riguer of the deep south - pleated khakis, a pastel, tucked-in polo and baseball cap. And then, of course, they would be immediately shunned by the "accepting" community of hipsters here.

tworivers
Jan 3, 2011, 3:28 AM
A non-conformist here would wear the uniform de riguer of the deep south - pleated khakis, a pastel, tucked-in polo and baseball cap. And then, of course, they would be immediately shunned by the "accepting" community of hipsters here.

Sounds like what I wear every day. Hipsters seem to love me though.

65MAX
Jan 14, 2011, 11:49 PM
First episode of "Portlandia" is now online.

http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/

RainDog
Jan 15, 2011, 4:52 AM
I watched it. I LOLed.

Shilo Rune 96
Jan 15, 2011, 3:25 PM
Great show!

Did anyone else have trouble with the video loading terribly? >_<

dintares
Jan 16, 2011, 10:19 PM
I lol'ed myself, love Steve Buscemi!

downtownpdx
Jan 17, 2011, 3:56 AM
That is hilarious! I love Fred Armisen's neurotic characters, he cracks me up.

dintares
Jan 17, 2011, 4:00 AM
Portland was breifly in tonight's episode of "American Dad". Funny to see the city as a cartoon.

SpongeG
Feb 17, 2012, 8:17 AM
love portlandia second season is even better

we can pickle that

Black Box
Mar 11, 2012, 9:21 AM
DJ Night is a funny skit.