PDA

View Full Version : "Lost" Projects

Dmajackson
Aug 23, 2010, 5:10 AM
I thought this might be an interesting concept to talk about;

As the person who takes care of the compilation thread and maps I've been paying attention to the development agreements that get approved here in HRM. As some people have noticed some buildings get the go-ahead but for various reasons don't get built (appeals, market, ect). I've been looking through the minutes and agendas of some community and regional council meetings and there is quite the high number of projects that have vanished over the years. I thought a thread dedicated to these "lost" projects would be a nice idea since we can get an idea what our region could be like had some others gotten built.

I'll compile a list as I find projects but to start off here are some I can think off;

- Horizon Court III: 19? floors (CanEuro Dev)
- Horizon Court IV (MTT lands): 2X7 floors (Dexel Dev)
- Moirs Place: 7 floors (United Gulf)
- Prince Albert @ Bartlin: 12 floors
- 249 Windmill: 12 floors

alps
Aug 23, 2010, 7:10 AM
I remember as many as 10 years ago (?) there was talk in the newspapers of a highrise building on the vacant lot bounded by Pepperell, Robie, and Shirley streets. I don't remember the specifics whatsoever, but the NIMBYs balked and it disappeared. Anyone remember the details?

Jstaleness
Aug 23, 2010, 9:51 PM
I'll compile a list as I find projects but to start off here are some I can think off;

- Horizon Court III: 19? floors (CanEuro Dev)
- Horizon Court IV (MTT lands): 2X7 floors (Dexel Dev)
- Moirs Place: 7 floors (United Gulf)
- Prince Albert @ Bartlin: 12 floors
- 249 Windmill: 12 floors

249 Windmill? I didn't realize that was already shut down.

Dmajackson
Aug 23, 2010, 11:45 PM
249 Windmill? I didn't realize that was already shut down.

Well it isn't officially but its been dead for over a year so I just through it in there.

Dmajackson
Aug 24, 2010, 3:44 AM
The senior's residence that is being built on Admiral Street in Dartmouth right now was approved back in 1999 but get this. At the time the developer said construction would start in 6 months so he's only 10 years behind schedule. :haha:

someone123
Aug 28, 2010, 2:48 PM
I remember as many as 10 years ago (?) there was talk in the newspapers of a highrise building on the vacant lot bounded by Pepperell, Robie, and Shirley streets. I don't remember the specifics whatsoever, but the NIMBYs balked and it disappeared. Anyone remember the details?

I remember this. I don't remember any details other than the fact that it was to be a highrise and there were previously some old houses in very rough shape. Unfortunate that this lot is still empty.

halifaxboyns
Aug 31, 2010, 9:04 PM
I remember this. I don't remember any details other than the fact that it was to be a highrise and there were previously some old houses in very rough shape. Unfortunate that this lot is still empty.

These were the row houses the guy painted in the awful colour scheme. He did it to make a point I believe or he just wanted to cause trouble with HRM.

Jstaleness
Aug 31, 2010, 9:23 PM
Is the lot being referred to the one across from Atlantica Hotel (Holiday Inn)?

halifaxboyns
Aug 31, 2010, 9:53 PM
Is the lot being referred to the one across from Atlantica Hotel (Holiday Inn)?

Yes and it's actually identified as an opportunity site in the regional plan.

Jstaleness
Aug 31, 2010, 10:33 PM
Strange that Nimby's would fight against a mid to high rise considering the hotel is across the street? Holiday Inn, now turned Atlantica needs some company. It has a few small friends on Quinpool but that's about it.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 1, 2010, 2:03 AM
Strange that Nimby's would fight against a mid to high rise considering the hotel is across the street? Holiday Inn, now turned Atlantica needs some company. It has a few small friends on Quinpool but that's about it.

There is no logic in NIMBYISM... I bet these people will fight tooth and nail although there are brick apartments right behind this and a nice Trillium style tower would be perfect... maybe a bit shorter than The Atlantica to visually step up.

I bet they will fight to have this as a "park" because "we need more green space"... when clearly the commons is right across the street and they are just anti height.

halifaxboyns
Sep 1, 2010, 5:20 AM
There is no logic in NIMBYISM... I bet these people will fight tooth and nail although there are brick apartments right behind this and a nice Trillium style tower would be perfect... maybe a bit shorter than The Atlantica to visually step up.

I bet they will fight to have this as a "park" because "we need more green space"... when clearly the commons is right across the street and they are just anti height.

I think you could do a tower there nicely and have a report that would really support and provide a logical rationale for it. Considering the site was identified as an opportunity site in the regional plan (which council approved); that would be the starting point for my arguement.

Then I'd dispell the issue of greenspace need by pointing out the walking distance to the commons and showing how safe access to the commons can be obtained through the crossing at Robie. The next step is to establish to context around - focusing on the fact that the Atlantica is right there (and how tall it is); with the adjacent office tower to the north.

Follow it up with the fact that it's right by 2 major transit corridors - that to me is the argument to present to council. Make sure its well designed to minimize shadowing (good articulation and building form, all the parking below grade and access off the side street only) and there you go - my report would be written. The bigger question would be how would the council vote and that would be interesting to see after the next election.