PDA

View Full Version : Halifax travel recommendations

miketoronto
Aug 17, 2010, 9:02 PM
I am going to be in Halifax for about a day and half. Coming in on VIA.

Any of you want to recommend any must sees or places that locals know but tourists never go to??

Anyway tips you guys have would be great!!

fenwick16
Aug 17, 2010, 10:03 PM

Any of you want to recommend any must sees or places that locals know but tourists never go to??

I think there are quite a few that aren't overcrowded with tourists that are listed on wirtualtourist.com - http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Province_of_Nova_Scotia/Halifax-908494/Things_To_Do-Halifax-TG-C-1.html . I lived down there (Nova Scotia) for the first 22 years of my life but I can't think of any place that is hidden from tourists. However, if you have time to travel around Nova Scotia and the shoreline, you will find many places where there is almost no one else present.

halifaxboyns
Aug 18, 2010, 2:46 AM
I think there are quite a few that aren't overcrowded with tourists that are listed on wirtualtourist.com - http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Province_of_Nova_Scotia/Halifax-908494/Things_To_Do-Halifax-TG-C-1.html . I lived down there (Nova Scotia) for the first 22 years of my life but I can't think of any place that is hidden from tourists. However, if you have time to travel around Nova Scotia and the shoreline, you will find many places where there is almost no one else present.

Yorke Redoubt is quite nice and typically doesn't get many tourists.

JET
Aug 19, 2010, 6:46 PM

Take the ferry to Dartmouth, walk up ochterloney two blocks, and have a capaccino and a croissant at 'Two if by Sea', continue up Ochterloney 15 minutes, walk past Sullivan's pond, and then continue along the lake banook trail, stop half way along banook at the gazebo and have a swim... priceless; and shhh. don't tell anyone.

Jstaleness
Aug 19, 2010, 9:38 PM
Go early to Two If By Sea. They sell out of their goodies really fast!

bornagainbiking
Aug 19, 2010, 11:25 PM
Travel to Halifax/Dartmouth for a croissant. Christ maybe I'll drop off in Montreal for a bagel or Montreal Smoked meat.
Where is the best place for bacon and eggs at a reasonable price. Best deli or meat shop.
Where are the friendliest people?

Jstaleness
Aug 20, 2010, 12:18 AM
Not sure if the was sarcasm intended in the last post or not. If there wasn't, one of the best bacon/eggs at a good price is at The Ardmore Tea Room on Quinpool Rd. Cash only though.
Kel's Deli in Dartmouth makes some really decent sandwiches and subs.

miketoronto
Aug 20, 2010, 1:26 AM
It does not have to be devoid of tourists. But any areas that you guys think are must sees would be great. Any cool spots downtown that one must go to? Things like that.

Are fish dinners worth it? Everyone keeps telling me I have to have fish in Halifax? Any good places for it?

worldlyhaligonian
Aug 20, 2010, 3:33 AM
It does not have to be devoid of tourists. But any areas that you guys think are must sees would be great. Any cool spots downtown that one must go to? Things like that.

Are fish dinners worth it? Everyone keeps telling me I have to have fish in Halifax? Any good places for it?

There is the Paragon, which isn't your typical downtown bar and also some other bars in the North End that are kind of a different scene. Tribecca is another bar that fits in with the ones i just mentioned. You should hit up maxwell's plum as a starter bar at some point due to the amount of beers on tap.

Personally, I think Halifax is great because you can drink at such variety of places.

If you want to get some non-restaurant seafood I would try Phil's on Quinpool or my favorite: Fries and Co. on Chebucto.

Obviously, King of Donair is amazing. My local location is Quinpool, but I think the one in Spryfield is the most legit.

The BBQ Chicken from Armdale Pizza is legendary, they use actual chicken fingers and the seasoning completes the package. Eat it with donair sauce and its incredible.

someone123
Aug 20, 2010, 4:47 AM
It is worth going along the waterfront, visiting the public gardens, and walking around the downtown to areas like Granville, Barrington, and Spring Garden Road even though those places have tourists. Walking up Blowers Street and along Argyle then over to Spring Garden Road is also very nice, with lots of small-scale shops and pedestrian traffic. St. Mary's Basilica is impressive (made out of white granite), as is the big lion monument (from the Crimean War in the 1850s), the old cemetery, and the old law courts. Of course there are also the Citadel and the old town clock.

The big architectural gems are the historic properties around Duke Street up from the waterfront. The old post office, Province House, and Bank of NS are around Hollis and George. Up 2 blocks is City Hall. Barrington has some impressive buildings, like the white building by Blowers Street or the six storey Victorian with a two storey storefront near Prince Street (also nice curved building on the corner). St. Paul's at the corner of Prince and Barrington is the oldest Protestant church in Canada.

For places not frequented by tourists, try the North End along Agricola and Gottingen, and walk around some of the small residential areas just north of Cogswell (like Falkland Street) - these are very old working class neighbourhoods similar to, say, Cabbagetown in Toronto. At Cornwallis and Brunswick there is a "round church", about 200 years old designed by Prince Edward when he was in Halifax. There are a bunch of nice old brick rowhouses along Brunswick.

York Redoubt it another good recommendation, although it's farther out. The Dingle tower in Fleming Park is also great - it is a 100 year old tower open to the public for free.

Another great part of the inner city is the southern part of Barrington (past Spring Garden Road) and Hollis Street down to the train station and Cornwallis Park. The houses going up the hill on South Street are very nice. I also like going to the end of Barrington then up Inglis - this area is slightly run down but has many interesting houses. The walk along Young Street is very nice, with large houses, and mansions starting off Inglis until you get to Point Pleasant Park. Point Pleasant has nice views of the ocean and the Martello Tower, which was built in the 1700s and should be open.

Yet another nice little neighbourhood is Schmidtville, which is only a few blocks between Queen Street and South Park Street, from Clyde to Morris. It is worth it to walk along Morris Street or along South Park Street for the architecture.

Dartmouth, the West End, and the farther North End (around North St to the Hydrostone) are nice areas worth visiting but you won't have time during a day and a half visit. There are tons of little places to walk around in Halifax with lots of sidestreets and unique old buildings.

Daytrips to places like Lunenburg (Chester, Mahone Bay) and Peggy's Cove or the Annapolis Valley are also definitely worth it on longer trips.

halifaxboyns
Aug 20, 2010, 5:27 AM
I'd suggest a little bit further south than someone123 and suggest also Shelbourne. I have family there; I love that town.

The Annapolis Valley definately - the drive is beautiful. The Blomodon Look off is beautiful, Windsor, Grande Pre, Wolfville and Digby.

Oh the canal exhibit by King's Whaf; but also the locks out by Mic Mac is kewl and a very nice park. The Bedford Waterfront is nice too.

I think we've all hit the major spots. Robert's donair - the football, heart attack on a plate. I fully agree with King of Donair, but I'd also suggest King's Palace on Quinpool, Lok Ho Ho on Bayer's Road and Zen in Clayton Park. Also definately the split crow and lower deck on a weekend evening - totally worth it.

Although does anyone know when Pedler's Pub closed? Someone told me it closed a while ago.

JET
Aug 20, 2010, 12:19 PM

The reviews for the 'Battered Fish', mobile canteen on the haliafx waterfront have been very positive. Of course those of us in Dartmouth don't need to travel to halifax for great fisn and chips.;)

Even taking the ferry to Dartmouth, getting off and going back again is fun, good $5 cruise.

Jonovision
Aug 20, 2010, 6:15 PM
The best fish and chips in town are at Johns Lunch in Woodside.
I would suggest you take the ferry over to Dartmouth, walk along the nice new waterfront trail to Woodside, to grab some fish and chips. You will get some amazing views of Halifax and get to see the new Waterfront Campus of the NSCC and then if you time it right you can catch a ferry back to Halifax from Woodside. (Woodside ferry only runs at peak hours.)

hfx_chris
Aug 20, 2010, 9:56 PM
I just don't get it.
Everybody and their dog says Johns Lunch has the best fish and chips around, but I've never found they were anything too wonderful.

fenwick16
Aug 20, 2010, 10:15 PM
I just don't get it.
Everybody and their dog says Johns Lunch has the best fish and chips around, but I've never found they were anything too wonderful.

There used to be a fish and chips place on Portland Street near downtown Dartmouth as it transitioned to residential (I think it was a residential home with a storefront). I think around Prince Albert or Pleasant Street on the north side of Portland. I am not recommending it, I just wonder if it is still there? It was back in the mid 1970's that I would buy fish and chips at that location (I was just a teenager way back then).

ZET
Aug 21, 2010, 1:20 AM
There used to be a fish and chips place on Portland Street near downtown Dartmouth as it transitioned to residential (I think it was a residential home with a storefront). I think around Prince Albert or Pleasant Street on the north side of Portland. I am not recommending it, I just wonder if it is still there? It was back in the mid 1970's that I would buy fish and chips at that location (I was just a teenager way back then).

Peoples Lunch, long gone, was a great place. If you walk by the place you can still see the counters and the stools in the window. For the last number of years, since it closed, there was an older man who grew tomatos in the inside. Not sure if he still does.
John's: you have to eat it there, take out is just not the same; and you have to follow it up with some home made rice pudding. :tup:

hfx_chris
Aug 21, 2010, 3:03 AM
John's: you have to eat it there
I do. But I still don't see what's so great about it. Yet people continue to rave..