PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver's chicken registry lays an egg

mr.x
Jul 10, 2010, 11:05 PM
Chicken policy implications coming home to roost for Vision
9 Jul 2010

Post by Mike Klassen in Editorial

Chickens are in the news again, as they will likely be right up until Election Day 2011. First, the Vancouver Sun's Randy Shore has written Vancouver's chicken registry lays an egg which describes how only seven people have registered their new backyard chicken farms with the City since adopting the new costly policy. Instead, people are continuing to house the little fowl covertly.

Supporters of Vision Vancouver will likely shrug this one off, but eyes roll with just about everyone else in the city when it comes to this topic. Vancouver burned up staff time with all their planning and talk in what looks to be a political bust for Vancouver's fledgling Vision government. Chickens, gardens and bike lanes is about all most people today attach to the list of accomplishments for Gregor Robertson and his farm team.

Fortunately for Winnipeggers, their city council applied good sense when one of their own proposed a chickens by-law:

City council's property and development committee voted Tuesday to effectively ignore a request to study the idea of allowing Winnipeggers to keep egg-laying hens within city limits. Some North American cities allow the practice, but Winnipeg isn't ready to get cracking on backyard egg operations.

"I don't think I am ready to move through a set of regulations where people can have chickens in residential neighbourhoods," committee chairman Gord Steeves (St. Vital) said following the unanimous vote. The councillors were intrigued with the idea of people growing their own food, but did not bite.

"Why stop there?" Transcona Coun. Russ Wyatt asked facetiously. "Why not goats?"

Why not goats indeed, councillor. Why not goats?

http://www.citycaucus.com/2010/07/chicken-policy-implications-coming-home-to-roost-for-vision#comments

For the win:

"The biggest question is whether Vision's poor record of substantial accomplishments will spell their demise in the next election. Rags like Van Observer and Van Courier are staffed by pro-Vision editors that you'll never read any balanced criticism of Robertson.

But, the population is sensing the stupidity and utter failure of this mayor. Like this article says, what has Robertson really accomplished accept some feel good programmes that no one except his own inner circle cares about?

Vancouver needs a mayor who works for the immediate needs of the majority of taxpayers and city dwellers, not a minority of eco visionaries who want to impose their version of utopia on all of us.

The fact that Robertson is uncomfortable with dealing directly with the media only exacerbates his growing unpopularity. Clearly, he is only a pretty face and is not smart enough to be a demagogue.

Robertson's performance only shows the left wing hell that's in store for everyone if we elect and NDP provincial government. The calibre of their people demonstrates they are more of a political movement not a credible political party that can run a government."

"If one of these backyard chickens choked to death, what would you do with the carcass? You can't throw it in the trash: illegal. Probably the only way to dispose of it would be by cremation.

I would recommend cremation in the oven at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes per pound."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouver+chicken+registry+lays/3247712/story.html#ixzz0tK8wWQYQ

whatnext
Jul 10, 2010, 11:31 PM
:previous: There's a joke somewhere in the last paragraph about choking the chicken, but I'm too tired and hot to think of it. :haha:

Otherwise its spot on. And forget about just acting for the taxpayers of Vancouver, the Mayor & Council of the City need some perspective about Vancouver's primacy of place in Metro, and stop governing like its the Resort Municipality of Vancouver.

WarrenC12
Jul 10, 2010, 11:34 PM
I used to like citycaucus.com, but it has gotten to be far too political and Gregor-bashing.

So nobody is registering chickens... who cares? The media made the chicken issue into a story from nothing.

You can complain about the bike lanes if you want, but the bottom line is, that's a big part of the platform he ran on. He also ran on ending homelessness, which frankly isn't realistic, but the city is putting it's money where it's mouth is with funding for housing, temporary heat shelters, etc.

So we as the COV are getting what we voted for... :shrug: The NPA is starting to remind me of the NDP. You can complain all you want about the party in power, but until you get some organization yourself, and come up with some realistic counterpoints, you won't get elected no matter what the party in power does. Unless you enact the HST maybe. :D

whatnext
Jul 11, 2010, 12:01 AM
I used to like citycaucus.com, but it has gotten to be far too political and Gregor-bashing.

So nobody is registering chickens... who cares? The media made the chicken issue into a story from nothing...

Its important because its a pattern of behaviour. Money and staff time squandered for nothing. The same goes for the viaduct review.

If the mainstream media questioned Mayor Moonbeam's performance a bit more, perhaps it wouldn't be left to sites like Citycaucus to point it out. Even the issue of the vast donations he received from foreign interests was dropped quickly and conveniently by the Sun.

Yume-sama
Jul 11, 2010, 3:33 AM
lol did they ever think that maybe the number of chicken owners is actually not that... big?

I've never really heard of the chicken owning lobby.

7 people just might be about it.

Stingray2004
Jul 12, 2010, 7:24 PM
Mayor Moonbeam seems to have laid another chicken egg in council chambers:

Robertson: "Who are all these f*ckin' . . . who are these hacks man? Are they . . . they NPA hacks?"

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Microphone+Gregor+Robertson+swears+over+speakers+after+meeting/3266843/story.html

In that vein, heard someone on the radio last week from Vancouver who stated that he'd trade Gregor Robertson, Sam Sullivan, Peter Ladner, plus two draft picks for ONE Dianne Watts. :tup:

s211
Jul 12, 2010, 7:47 PM
Moonbeam lays an egg while Vancouver burns.

AlexYVR
Jul 12, 2010, 8:53 PM
In that vein, heard someone on the radio last week from Vancouver who stated that he'd trade Gregor Robertson, Sam Sullivan, Peter Ladner, plus two draft picks for ONE Dianne Watts. :tup:

While I agree with the above statement,

Moonbeam lays an egg while Vancouver burns.

is pretty friggin insensitive while parts of the interior are literally burning. Stop making snide petty comments and comment on policy. This forum is about politics, not your personal opinion of the mayor, and this thread in particular is about the backyard birds legislation - a great idea in itself, although probably not the one thing this administration would like to be known for.

s211
Jul 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
While I agree with the above statement,

is pretty friggin insensitive while parts of the interior are literally burning. Stop making snide petty comments and comment on policy. This forum is about politics, not your personal opinion of the mayor, and this thread in particular is about the backyard birds legislation - a great idea in itself, although probably not the one thing this administration would like to be known for.

Sorry, but chickengate was a steaming pile of resources wasted on some hippie's idealism.

As to the "burning" comment, it had nothing to do with insensitivity, trust me. I've been through a forest fire before, and I never consider them a joking matter. [Replace Moonbeam with Nero, and you get the gist of my comment.]

DKaz
Jul 12, 2010, 11:54 PM
Dude I want to raise chickens in my house, and I'm definitely not a hippie. Eggs and chicken meat ain't cheap, if I can raise my own then all the better. They would be organic as well, free of whatever nasty s**t farms give them to make them fatter.

whatnext
Jul 13, 2010, 1:11 AM
..is pretty friggin insensitive while parts of the interior are literally burning.

:whatthefuck: Talk about grasping at straws. Lets ban all fire, landslide, avalanche analogies in deference to all those ever affected.

Stop making snide petty comments and comment on policy. This forum is about politics, not your personal opinion of the mayor, and this thread in particular is about the backyard birds legislation - a great idea in itself, although probably not the one thing this administration would like to be known for.

Yeah, lets show the proper deference for a mayor who swears at and disparages all those voters who dare disagree with him. :rolleyes:

AlexYVR
Jul 13, 2010, 3:02 AM
:whatthefuck: Talk about grasping at straws. Lets ban all fire, landslide, avalanche analogies in deference to all those ever affected.

Yeah, lets show the proper deference for a mayor who swears at and disparages all those voters who dare disagree with him. :rolleyes:

You guys are missing the point entirely. What I'm saying - regardless of your political viewpoint - is please express it in a productive way on the forum, rather than making 'Rome is burning'/'Mayor moonbeam'/'Gregor rulezlolomg' comments. Again, whatever the ideology, please have at least some point to posting aside from being inflamatory.

Like I said, I'm not a chicken lobbyist, but the idea of backyard birds is really sound - it's another step towards local food and teaching kids responsibility about supply and demand, where our food comes from, etc.

Do I think it's worth the expense that Vision's allocated? I have no idea as not a single person on here has actually stated the cost. 'Steaming pile of resources' doesn't exactly allow me to compare to other expenditures in the budget, does it?

I'm guessing that in a year of deficit like this, you're right, it's definitely not worth the expense. Would it be something that's worth it in a better year? I think so.

Alex Mackinnon
Jul 13, 2010, 3:17 AM
Dude I want to raise chickens in my house, and I'm definitely not a hippie. Eggs and chicken meat ain't cheap, if I can raise my own then all the better. They would be organic as well, free of whatever nasty s**t farms give them to make them fatter.

You can't have em for meat.

DKaz
Jul 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
You can't have em for meat.

What? Why?

jlousa
Jul 13, 2010, 1:31 PM
The backyard hen bylaws clearly state that slaughter of the chickens is prohibited. While a lot of the people that are interested in backyard chickens probably wouldn't slaughter anyways, I feel they dropped the ball by forbidding slaughter. Think of it as recycling if nothing else, now I guess you're expected to let the chicken die of old age and then throw them in the trash.

WarrenC12
Jul 13, 2010, 2:13 PM
Most farmers who have chickens for egg-laying buy them at 6 months old and sell them at 2 or 3, as their best egg laying days are behind them.

Allowing slaughter in the backyard could get out of control, but yes, denying it really leaves no "plan".

Drop them off in the park one day... jackpot for a coyote.

twoNeurons
Jul 13, 2010, 2:35 PM
Can you not take a couple of chickens to a butcher?

AlexYVR
Jul 13, 2010, 4:55 PM
Can you not take a couple of chickens to a butcher?

That would seem logical to me too.

Yume-sama
Jul 13, 2010, 5:48 PM
That just seems a bit disturbing to me, really :P And I thought Calgarians were supposed to be the oddball wannabe farmers~

Alex Mackinnon
Jul 16, 2010, 3:48 AM
What? Why?

It's in the bylaw. You can't even throw your chicken in the garbage or bury it if it dies.

It's pretty much eggs only.