PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010 in Ottawa

waterloowarrior
Jun 11, 2010, 9:30 PM
Who is everyone cheering for and where are the best places to watch the games?? :cheers:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lzm0KILSlQg/R0S_8q3zzeI/AAAAAAAAACE/aNy3tFBuiFs/s320/england-football-emblem.jpg
:yes:

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 11, 2010, 10:13 PM
I'm cheering for any of the teams that I have ancestry of. So in other words, of the teams in the World Cup, I'll be cheering for:

France, Germany, Netherlands, England and America.

m0nkyman
Jun 12, 2010, 3:15 AM
I've been a Brazil supporter since the 70's. See no reason to change that. Ever.
Apt 613 has a post up about best places to see the world cup: http://www.apt613.ca/2010/06/11/time-to-kick-it-your-official-apt613-guide-to-the-world-cup/

AuxTown
Jun 20, 2010, 12:47 AM
My ancestors are primarily from England and France, so I feel I need to cheer for them. Despite this, my heart has been with the Netherlands since my trip to Amsterdam during the World Cup four years ago. I have never seen fans like that in my life! I was wearing my orange golf shirt on the course this afternoon to support La Naranja Mecánica. Go Holland!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ujbZb-JAN7g/SFOOF1EpDkI/AAAAAAAACQg/ibeysqOvXZY/s400/knvb.png

People have been packing the Georgetown Pub in the Glebe at 7am for Hollands games.

eemy
Jun 20, 2010, 1:09 AM
I too am cheering for the Netherlands. I'm somewhat surprised just how many fans they seem to have.

Acajack
Jun 21, 2010, 2:03 PM
Portugal rules the roost in Gatineau, with by far the largest number of car flags and jerseys visible. Curiously enough, les Bleus (France) are quite discreet in Gatineau this year, whereas they were quite visible in the past few World Cups.

I can also report that the Oranje are surprisingly visible in Gatineau as well. I say surprisingly because our Dutch community is tiny here.

Proof Sheet
Jun 21, 2010, 4:19 PM
Portugal rules the roost in Gatineau, with by far the largest number of car flags and jerseys visible. Curiously enough, les Bleus (France) are quite discreet in Gatineau this year, whereas they were quite visible in the past few World Cups.

I can also report that the Oranje are surprisingly visible in Gatineau as well. I say surprisingly because our Dutch community is tiny here.

My experience is that the connections footie wise between les Bleus and the purelaine (sp?) in Gatineau are tenuous at best. The more recent immigrant communities in Gatineau (Portuguese, west African) and more established in Gatineau (italian and greek) are more vocal and prominent in showing their love of the beautiful game. As well, the french national team have been brutal and have managed to alienate many fans with their on field dire play and their throwing their toys out of the pram antics.

Acajack
Jun 21, 2010, 4:49 PM
My experience is that the connections footie wise between les Bleus and the purelaine (sp?) in Gatineau are tenuous at best. The more recent immigrant communities in Gatineau (Portuguese, west African) and more established in Gatineau (italian and greek) are more vocal and prominent in showing their love of the beautiful game. As well, the french national team have been brutal and have managed to alienate many fans with their on field dire play and their throwing their toys out of the pram antics.

This is quite true. Most of the people wearing France jerseys in Gatineau would be people from France who live here, or at the very least people born here but of French parents. Though obviously some Québécois also get caught up in the hoopla as well. This was especially true in 1998 and 2006. I watched the 1998 final at a jam-packed La Cage aux Sports in Gatineau and the crowd was about 50-50 Québécois/French.

France are not treated like a "home team" by any Quebec media, but given the size of the French expat/immigrant community in Quebec, les Bleus do get extensive coverage during the World Cup.

And of course, unlike the ethnic groups you mentioned, Québécois people don't view themselves as being "French" any more than Mexicans view themselves as "Spanish" or Brazilians as "Portuguese".

Some Québécois may have France as their favourite World Cup team, but a majority cheer for a variety of teams, based on anything from influences from spouses or friends, to style of play, to places they have travelled to.

Acajack
Jun 29, 2010, 7:52 PM
Another interesting thing I have observed is that many of my fellow citizens of Lebanese origin seem to have Argentinian flags on their cars.

Other than the fact that Carlos Menem was once president of Argentina (and even he was of Syrian origin I think?), I can't find a simple explanation. Guess I will have to investigate further...

kwoldtimer
Jun 29, 2010, 9:21 PM
Another interesting thing I have observed is that many of my fellow citizens of Lebanese origin seem to have Argentinian flags on their cars.

Other than the fact that Carlos Menem was once president of Argentina (and even he was of Syrian origin I think?), I can't find a simple explanation. Guess I will have to investigate further...

Menem's parents were Syrian but I would have trouble seeing how that could encourage Lebanese Canadians to choose Argentina (if anything, effect would be rather the reverse, no?) :shrug:

Acajack
Jun 30, 2010, 3:43 PM
Menem's parents were Syrian but I would have trouble seeing how that could encourage Lebanese Canadians to choose Argentina (if anything, effect would be rather the reverse, no?) :shrug:

Yeah, well that's why I put question mark after my reference to Carlos Menem... I was wondering the same thing.

I do know that Argentina did at one point attract many immigrants from around the world, including many from Lebanon. Not sure if any current players on the Albiceleste are of Lebanese origin, though. (There have been some in the past...)

Proof Sheet
Jun 30, 2010, 4:23 PM
Yeah, well that's why I put question mark after my reference to Carlos Menem... I was wondering the same thing.

I do know that Argentina did at one point attract many immigrants from around the world, including many from Lebanon. Not sure if any current players on the Albiceleste are of Lebanese origin, though. (There have been some in the past...)

I know that Heinze has German and Italian parents and he can also speak Welsh.

Acajack
Jun 30, 2010, 5:03 PM
I know that Heinze has German and Italian parents and he can also speak Welsh.

I think half the Argentina squad (or close to half) have Italian surnames. If you've ever been to Argentina, you won't be surprised by this.