PDA

View Full Version : South Burrard | Proposed

M II A II R II K
May 21, 2010, 3:07 PM
Squamish have power to radically change city skyline

May 21, 2010

By Miro Cernetig

http://www.vancouversun.com/images/header/logo_part_of_canada_com_network.gif

Read More: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Squamish+have+power+radically+change+city+skyline/3055882/story.html

The Squamish First Nation is going to reclaim its ancestral village in the heart of Vancouver by putting up two major condo towers that will block views to English Bay and the mountains and dramatically change the city skyline. An early draft of the development proposal features 35-storey and 28-storey condo towers on the south end of the Burrard Bridge, exactly where a giant billboard was erected by the first nation a few months ago. It will fundamentally block the view corridor the City of Vancouver has preserved for decades.

- The development, which also dramatically ramps up the density of Kitsilano, will bring an additional 2,000 parking spots and offices that will house thousands of workers. It's a real-estate play that could near the $1-billion range and generate massive profits. It's hard to fault the Squamish for thinking big. Like any developer, they want to squeeze as much profit out of the land as possible, which means density and height.

- But this massive development, which proposes the sort of density found in the Olympic Village, raises a major planning challenge facing all of Metro Vancouver, and British Columbia: the Squamish don't have to follow the rules of other developers if they don't wish. That's because the Squamish are proposing to build on their reserve land, once the site of a fishing village, which is owned by them and under federal jurisdiction. It means the first nation has no legal obligation to obey municipal zoning laws that other developers are obliged to follow when they build within the city.

- It's a serious concern for not just Vancouver, but also all cities where native land exists. The Squamish, for example, own much of the West Vancouver and North Vancouver waterfront. That means they can build there, too, as high and as dense as they wish. Other bands, such as the Musqueam, have similar parcels of land in Metro Vancouver that they can also develop under the same exemptions.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/3055877.bin?size=620x400

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/3055875.bin?size=620x400

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/3055878.bin?size=620x400

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/3055880.bin?size=620x400

s211
May 21, 2010, 3:36 PM
They were trying to get the Feds to lease an office building there a few years ago. These are the basic plans floated before them at the time.

DKaz
May 21, 2010, 4:08 PM
Meh, all the power to them.

PaperTiger
May 21, 2010, 4:42 PM
Meh, all the power to them.

Exactly.

I didn't really like the tone of the article. Vancouver has already built mega projects on the rest of False creek, but the Squamish should leave theirs for traditional “urban green space”.

Come on.

sacrifice333
May 21, 2010, 5:03 PM
The building on the West side of Burrard will have some of the most unobstructed views in the entire city!!! Though if each and every building there is constructed as per that first render that could be a bit much.

I do hope the city and band can come to some agreements on the overall development preserving some view cones. Maybe dropping the heights slightly... a bit of a step down from the Green Monster height for the West building... and maybe cut out at least one of the buildings on the East side.

But in no way should the band be expected to leave the land as urban green space.

phesto
May 21, 2010, 5:15 PM
Why would they bother putting office space on this site? If their objective is to maximize profit, surely an all-residential development makes more sense, even in however many years this takes to materialize.

We've got half a dozen major rapid transit-oriented office projects that can't even get off the ground (including Downtown and Broadway)...proposing to add "thousands of workers" to a site that isn't anywhere near Skytrain and already has traffic problems doesn't seem like a great idea any way you look at it.

sacrifice333
May 21, 2010, 5:19 PM
^The East side of Burrard would mostly be hidden by the existing residential & office space and would be hard to sell, assuming a 99-year lease situation.

In contrast, building it as office space might be an attractive discount to downtown and would probably achieve sustainability goals for the band... i.e. leases!

The West side... with potentially AMAZING views and therefore easy to sell, even with the potential 99-year lease factor.

idunno
May 21, 2010, 5:25 PM
Hahaha "radically change" the skyline..... and it's not even really on the downtown peninsula!

phesto
May 21, 2010, 5:26 PM
^The East side of Burrard would mostly be hidden by the existing residential and would be hard to sell, assuming a 99-year lease situation.

In contrast, office space might be an attractive discount to downtown and would probably achieve sustainability goals for the band... i.e. leases!

The West side... with potentially AMAZING views and therefore easy to sell, even with the potential 99-year lease factor.

In Vancouver, it's ALWAYS a tougher sell for office than residential. ;)

I'm not familiar with the sustainability goals of the Squamish FN, but I would be surprised if they were to forego revenue from condo sales (or sale to developer of pre-paid 99-yr land lease) versus the risk associated with owning and leasing office space long-term.

officedweller
May 21, 2010, 5:38 PM
Looks good - dense mid-rise clusters.

Agreed, that I think that the office sites are the types of sites that would, in other developments, be allocated to social housing stock - under the lip of the bridge or hidden behind other buildings.

I think that the office space will build on the existing Credit Union Central Building and the light industrial lands to the south.

One thing I don't see is an RoW for the streetcar - it should/would be along the axis of the three silvery gray buildings on the rendering - along the north edge of the Molson's site. I suppose the street could be made wide enough for it in a median but that parcel is narrow enough as it is (being primarily former CPR RoW).

Yume-sama
May 21, 2010, 5:44 PM
Not the "radical" change I had expected. Call me back when they wanna build a supertall on their land :P

NetMapel
May 21, 2010, 5:47 PM
Looks good to me. The south side of Burrard Bridge could use some more new developments.

Spoolmak
May 21, 2010, 5:58 PM
How is this even going to change the skyline at all?

officedweller
May 21, 2010, 6:08 PM
For completeness of the thread - here's the aerial posted by Prometheus in the General thread:

Here is the latest photo from Global Air Photos which covers the area under discussion:

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/2010/vch2010_0132.jpg

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/2010/vch2010_0132.jpg

paradigm4
May 21, 2010, 8:10 PM
Exactly.

I didn't really like the tone of the article. Vancouver has already built mega projects on the rest of False creek, but the Squamish should leave theirs for traditional “urban green space”.

Come on.

Hahaha "radically change" the skyline..... and it's not even really on the downtown peninsula!

Agreed. The tone of this article is completely out of line. It's journalism like this that causes half the polarization in our community. What a joke.

This development looks great. Also love how they've worked with Kasian to incorporate elements of traditional architecture into the building design. Only concern would be the height of the one tower. I'm sure the CoV will be able to express their desires and negotiate to some degree with the Squamish following that new MOU they just signed.

jsbertram
May 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
Looks good - dense mid-rise clusters.

Agreed, that I think that the office sites are the types of sites that would, in other developments, be allocated to social housing stock - under the lip of the bridge or hidden behind other buildings.

I think that the office space will build on the existing Credit Union Central Building and the light industrial lands to the south.

One thing I don't see is an RoW for the streetcar - it should/would be along the axis of the three silvery gray buildings on the rendering - along the north edge of the Molson's site. I suppose the street could be made wide enough for it in a median but that parcel is narrow enough as it is (being primarily former CPR RoW).

The old Trolley ROW in Kits was from a loop at Kits Beach to the False Creek CPR yards (over a trestle east of the present Burrard Bridge, as shown by the red line on this satellite view of the area today:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4519/kitspointtrolleytracks.png

The blue curved line is the abandoned CPR tracks that curve around rhe Credit Union of BC building, and lead to a WYE. One branch heads east to the Granville Island Station of the Olympic Demonstration line, the other branch heads south to begin the Arbutus Corridor tracks that the CPR has also abandoned.

With the remaining portion of the trolley ROW running from Chestnut Street eastwards to the False Creek south shore, this ROW doesn't connect to anything anymore. I can see the redevelopment west of Burrard Bridge using this as a new roadway from Chestnut Street into the development, and possibly extending it eastwards under Burrard Bridge to provide better access to the Burrard Marina & the coastguard station, and also reduce the traffic that needs to use Whyte Ave to access the Burrard Marina, the parking lot, and the coastguard station.

I've been thinking for a while that the curved tracks provide an ideal alignment for a tunnel from Granville Island, under False Creek, and continuing as a subway under Burrard to the Convention Centre.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9684/streetcarline1dsmall2h.jpg

From the intersection of 1st ave, Pennyfarthing, and Fir a streetcar tunnel can be started that heads north following the blue line under False Creek and under Burrard St. The red line is the continuation of the streetcar line heading south to the Arbutus Corridor. The yellow lines are the alignment of the Downtown Streetcar that is being proposed by the City of Vancouver.

It would be a great loss if this new development prevented building this connection from downtown to South False Creek. It could be said that when the streetcar lines are built, the offices in this development could be easier to get to than offices that are actually downtown. I can certainly see myself 'commuting' from home at the Olympic Village to the office at this Squamish development - as long as there's a Tim Hortons along the way to get my morning JavaJolt.

jsbertram
May 21, 2010, 10:18 PM
For completeness of the thread - here's the aerial posted by Prometheus in the General thread:

This also shows how much larger the land taken up by Molsons is.
When the Squamish get going on their project, you can bet the Molson family will see the potential $billions$ they can make by moving the brewery out to some place with cheap land (Surrey? Langley? Coquitlam?) and redevelop their Burrard property into something of a cross-pollination between Bentall Centre (for offices) and Olympic Village (for condos). Perhaps not as tall as Bentall Centre, but at least as tall as what the Squamish could build.

wrenegade
May 21, 2010, 10:25 PM
Well it will radically change the skyline if you're living on the 1st-6th floor of any of the buildings in the Kits area, and that is what all the Nimbies will surely be screaming about.

Personally I think these renders look pretty decent to begin with. The article mentions 28 and 35 story towers but it looks to me that the one big one is 28 at the most. I'm pretty happy with the size, I am glad that they aren't proposing anything super tall, I'd prefer for the tallest of our buildings to be within the downtown core, preferably in the office district. A 60 story building there would look out of place (although the views over False Creek and Downtown AND Coal Harbour AND the North Shore Mountains would be insane).

I also thought the bulk of this development would be on the north/west side of the bridge (where that forest sits) and I'm pleasantly surprised at the density in the area. That being said, with all of that density planned and no streetcar plans it is a little worrying. Granville Island is a so-so anchor for the end of the line but this would be much much better. It should be something the city and translink push for. Definitely excited to see all of this plan out as well as ramifications on possible future development around Park Royal and the mouth of the Cap River.

Millennium2002
May 21, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm somewhat disappointed that they didn't reserve land for a LRT tunnel or something. On the other hand they may see it as a land grab against their development... and it already looks pretty good to the point that I don't want to see it go. Hmm.

Prometheus
May 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
In this photograph from 1982, you can see a portion of the old train tracks that curved around the Credit Union building, including the rail trestle that used to cross False Creek:

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/1982/vch1982_071.jpg

mr.x
May 21, 2010, 11:26 PM
It has my full seal of approval. I love it, and I do think the highest tower is quite a proper height....this is the kind of density we should be seeing in Kitsilano anyway (or at least the eastern half of it) considering how close it is to Downtown.

The tone of the article is most certainly out of line, these days they don't report their news they report their opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of those buildings partially hovers over the northbound Burrard Street lanes.

With this development, there's certainly an urgency to provide the area with better transit service.

officedweller
May 21, 2010, 11:48 PM
Here's the pic I posted in the general thread. Now that I look at it more closely, the trolley RoW doesn't follow Greer, but is at an angle, as drawn by jsbertram:

Of interest, 1945 shot of Vanier Park area:

Oblique view. Photograph shows Kitsilano swimming pool, Kits Point and the R.C.A.F. Equipment Depot.
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archives/photos/matthews/prints/sub1/A23415.jpg
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archives/photos/matthews/prints/sub1/A23415.jpg

Note the building at Kits Beach that's probably bigger than the controversial Watermark restaurant building.

Zassk
May 22, 2010, 3:36 AM
Come on folks, this isn't losing a tunnel ROW for transit. A new tunnel across False Creek would be so expensive that it won't matter what land parcels we possess in advance, we would just purchase whatever land is necessary or tunnel under all of the development.

Seriously, another rail tunnel across False Creek after Canada Line is pie-in-the-sky stuff. At best, we will live to see a line built from this neighbourhood over to Olympic Village and/or up the Arbutus Corridor. To withhold land for a future tunnel mouth is ridiculous.

jsbertram
May 22, 2010, 7:25 AM
I don't remember saying block the development for a future Burrard St subway tunnel.

I thought I was saying design the development in such a way that a future Burrard St subway tunnel under the alignment of the curved abandoned CPR tracks would still be possible.

Perhaps the bare concrete tunnel portion could be built as part of the development & left vacant until the Burrard St subway and False Creek tunnels are built to connect to it.

Perhaps the development could have an underground streetcar station included so the Downtown Streetcars start and end the runs here, rather than Granville Island. Later the extension under False Creek and up Burrard St can be attached so streetcars run through this station. In the meanwhile, this station provides a direct connection from the downtown streetcar line to the development, and a round-about way to get downtown.

I read a few years ago that a new apartment complex in New York was to be built over a planned subway line, so NYCTransit paid the developer to build a two-block section of subway (just the bare concrete) under the parking structure and the rest of the building while it was all under construction. They figured it would be cheaper to build the subway tubes at that time, rather than prop up the building later to build the subway tubes under it later.

That section has been unused since it was built (if you don't count the illegal RAVES that are held there occasionally), but eventually there will be other subway tubes connecting to them so subway trains can run under the building.

red-paladin
May 22, 2010, 7:56 AM
In edmonton, when the Epcor Tower started construction, the city paid for a subway tunnel segment to be built under the site. This is because they were in active planning of the new northern branch of the LRT to NAIT, and they could save a lot of money by building the tunnel under the site during the tower construction. However, they are planning to build this LRT extension in the next few years. What we are talking about in Vancouver is like 40+ years away.

Remember they already built the Burrard st. bridge with a train lift segment in mind for a future subway, and that was never built. So there is such a thing as over planning. But I do think that the cityt should start to plan where the streetcar tracks will go from Granville Island to Arbutus before anything in the area is built.

yogiderek
May 22, 2010, 3:28 PM
When the Squamish get going on their project, you can bet the Molson family will see the potential $billions$ they can make by moving the brewery out to some place with cheap land (Surrey? Langley? Coquitlam?) and redevelop their Burrard property into something of a cross-pollination between Bentall Centre (for offices) and Olympic Village (for condos). Perhaps not as tall as Bentall Centre, but at least as tall as what the Squamish could build.

I saw the same potentional, with the Armory as well. It could be a complete new amazing urban center. I great entrance to False creek with the potential of getting the CPR on board with their lands and tracks. This is an extremely exciting project for kits. If the Bental group redevelops their site too :)

sacrifice333
May 22, 2010, 3:46 PM

Didn't they already do that with the New West Brewery?! Did it the opposite way they should have?! :shrug:

"Let's sell $100,000 condos instead of $1,000,000 ones!" :banana:

worldwide
May 22, 2010, 4:32 PM
that was Labbats brewery in new west, and you won't find a condo there for 100 grand unless its a leaky one

jsbertram
May 22, 2010, 5:51 PM
In edmonton, when the Epcor Tower started construction, the city paid for a subway tunnel segment to be built under the site. This is because they were in active planning of the new northern branch of the LRT to NAIT, and they could save a lot of money by building the tunnel under the site during the tower construction. However, they are planning to build this LRT extension in the next few years. What we are talking about in Vancouver is like 40+ years away.

Remember they already built the Burrard st. bridge with a train lift segment in mind for a future subway, and that was never built. So there is such a thing as over planning. But I do think that the cityt should start to plan where the streetcar tracks will go from Granville Island to Arbutus before anything in the area is built.

That jogs my recollection that Calgary did something similar when the new City Hall was built in the 80s. They knew that an 8th Ave subway would be built sometime in the future, so the bare tunnels for it were built under the City Hall during construction. If you take the C-Train between the Stampede grounds and City Hall, you will see a bricked-up gap on the west wall of the tunnel the runs east of City Hall. This is where the south leg of the C-Train will connect to the 8th Ave subway in the future (running under the City Hall building). I'm also told there is another piece of tunnel so that 8th Ave subway trains can eventually connect with the NorthEast C-Train line after running under City Hall.

Rumours say that the bare tunnels are being used for dead-file storage for now.

I hear here there is a study or report being done regarding building the 8th Ave subway, since the 7th Ave transit mall may be at capacity when the new C-Train West line is finished and plugged into the rest of the system.
The report may be released after their election in the fall so it doesn't become another election issue.

jsbertram
May 22, 2010, 6:11 PM
I saw the same potentional, with the Armory as well. It could be a complete new amazing urban center. I great entrance to False creek with the potential of getting the CPR on board with their lands and tracks. This is an extremely exciting project for kits. If the Bental group redevelops their site too :)

There will be a huge fight if someone even thinks of moving the Seaforth Highlanders and their Armoury from the Burrard site. Especially when the building is now a Class A Heritage Building on the Heritage Registry.

DND could move the Seaforth Highlanders to a new Armoury at Jericho, or build new DND facilities on the parking lot behind the Burrard Armoury & consolidate some of their functions at Burrard.

Because of the deep history of the Seaforth Highlanders in BC, i have no doubt this will stir the passions of everyone on all sides of the debate.

yogiderek
May 24, 2010, 8:20 PM
There will be a huge fight if someone even thinks of moving the Seaforth Highlanders and their Armoury from the Burrard site. Especially when the building is now a Class A Heritage Building on the Heritage Registry.

DND could move the Seaforth Highlanders to a new Armoury at Jericho, or build new DND facilities on the parking lot behind the Burrard Armoury & consolidate some of their functions at Burrard.

Because of the deep history of the Seaforth Highlanders in BC, i have no doubt this will stir the passions of everyone on all sides of the debate.

well of course you would KEEP the Amoury, just the land behind it would be developed. Its a huge amount of land. They have all that extra land still further west too at on 4th.

Metro-One
May 24, 2010, 8:40 PM

I would hate to see the Molson brewery move out of the area. It adds an industrial edge which is missing in so much of Vancouver now (not to mention jobs near downtown). It is nice to still have one major production site in what use to be a larger industrial area, even if it is just for nostalgia / heritage reasons.

Also, if it were to be shut down, looking at past trends of factory closures in our area, they would not build a new brewery anywhere near Metro-Vancouver and it will simply become lost jobs.

red-paladin
May 25, 2010, 4:21 AM
That jogs my recollection that Calgary did something similar when the new City Hall was built in the 80s. They knew that an 8th Ave subway would be built sometime in the future, so the bare tunnels for it were built under the City Hall during construction. If you take the C-Train between the Stampede grounds and City Hall, you will see a bricked-up gap on the west wall of the tunnel the runs east of City Hall. This is where the south leg of the C-Train will connect to the 8th Ave subway in the future (running under the City Hall building). I'm also told there is another piece of tunnel so that 8th Ave subway trains can eventually connect with the NorthEast C-Train line after running under City Hall.

Rumours say that the bare tunnels are being used for dead-file storage for now.

I hear here there is a study or report being done regarding building the 8th Ave subway, since the 7th Ave transit mall may be at capacity when the new C-Train West line is finished and plugged into the rest of the system.
The report may be released after their election in the fall so it doesn't become another election issue.

wikipedia has some info on this subject:

Underground infrastructure

In addition to numerous tunnels to allow trains to pass under roadways, geographic features, and mainline railways, there are other notable underground portions of Calgary's C-Train system.

Part of the system through downtown is planned to be transferred underground when needed to maintain reliable service. Given this, portions of the needed infrastructure have been built as adjacent and associated land was developed.[31] As a result of this original plan, when the City of Calgary built a new Municipal Building, it built a short section of tunnel to connect the existing CPR tunnel to the future tunnel under 8th Avenue S. The turnoff to this station is visible in the tunnel on Route 201 entering downtown from the south, shortly before City Hall. However, after urban explorers discovered the tunnel and visited it during a transit strike[citation needed], the city walled off the spur tunnel with cinder blocks.

As the population of metropolitan Calgary increases and growing suburbs require new lines and extensions, the higher train volumes will exceed the ability of the downtown section along 7th Avenue S to accommodate them. To provide for long-term expansion, the city is reviewing its plans to put parts of the downtown section underground. The current plans allow the expanded Route 202 (Northeast/West) to use the existing 7th Avenue S surface infrastructure. The expanded Route 201 (Northwest/South), currently sharing 7th Avenue S with Route 202, will be relocated to a new tunnel dug beneath 8th Avenue S. The future Southeast/Downtown route will probably enter downtown through a shorter tunnel under one or more streets (candidates include 2nd Street W, 5th Street W, 6th Street W, 8th Avenue S, 10th Avenue S, 11th Avenue S, and 12th Avenue S). The future North line will probably share track from the Zoo station through downtown with the existing Northeast line (Route 202), avoiding the cost of a tunnel until passenger volumes grow.[25] Although Calgary City Council commissioned a functional study for the downtown metro component of the C-Train system in November 2007, the city is unlikely to complete this expansion before 2017 unless additional funding is received from provincial or federal governments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-Train

officedweller
May 25, 2010, 4:33 AM
Didn't they already do that with the New West Brewery?! Did it the opposite way they should have?! :shrug:

"Let's sell $100,000 condos instead of $1,000,000 ones!" :banana:

Don't forget the former Carling O'Keefe brewery lands - at Arbutus & 12th. According to Wkipedia, Carling O'Keefe ad Molsons merged in 1989.

EastVanMark
May 25, 2010, 8:46 PM

Molson has no property on Burrard St. The land the brewery sits on is owned is owned by the same band behind this proposal.

Joat
Feb 10, 2011, 1:20 AM
I think I heard something about this project on the radio. Something about how the (Squamish?) nation is meeting up to talk about it, and how a bunch of people worried because they don't have to adhere to normal regulations.

phesto
Feb 10, 2011, 1:25 AM
Molson has no property on Burrard St. The land the brewery sits on is owned is owned by the same band behind this proposal.

No, Molson owns the land under the brewery. The Squamish FN own everything to the North of the Molson site.

Millennium2002
Feb 10, 2011, 3:01 AM
I don't see a lot of reasons why people would be opposed to seeing something built rather than keep the current billboards and such. Unless they're nearby residents of course. =O

officedweller
Feb 21, 2011, 1:40 AM
BTW -
I saw a small blimp (the kind that takes view photos for condo projects) in the general vicinity of the south end of Burrard Bridge on Saturday.

From News1130:

People in Kitsilano unfazed by plans for big towers
Squamish nation planning towers on reserve land

Dave White Feb 09, 2011 09:50:50 AM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Neighbours don't have any say in its approval, but many are supportive of the plan anyway. The Squamish nation is looking at building two highrises on its land in Kitsilano.

They would go up at the southwest corner of the Burrard Street Bridge, the same site of a controversial electronic billboard. We spoke to one woman who lives nearby, who hopes some towers with modern designs will hide what she calls an area eyesore.

"If they can do something about covering up the world's ugliest building at the corner of Cornwall and Burrard, then we're good to go," she says.

Others say if it's Squamish land, let them make money; it might revitalize the neighbourhood.

Another neighbour says, "They were given land that's not very accessible. I mean, our city is popular. It's growing. I think they have to be able to use their land."

Because it's reserve land, the band doesn't need approval from the city and that means no public hearing. It's unclear when work would start; the band still has to vote and a date for that hasn't been set.

Squamish band votes on towers next to Vanier Park
Vote takes place Monday and Wednesday

Renee Bernard
Feb 20, 2011 11:44:57 AM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - A two-day vote begins Monday for members of the Squamish First Nation, who've been asked to endorse a new business plan, which calls for two towers at the south-west end of the Burrard Street Bridge.

The rental high-rises would be located between the bridge and Vanier Park, which is Squamish territory.

Chief Gibby Jacob won't say how high they envision them to be, but says one of the towers would provide much-needed monthly revenue.

"The way we're proposing to go forward, we will own the second tower 100 per cent. I like to call it my Squamish Nation's ATM. It'll be like plugging the card in every month and getting money out," he insists.

Jacob calls the towers an exciting prospect for the band. "It's our first venture into developing our lands. We have a number of developments like Park Royal South, for instance, which represent a more passive role for us where we just collect a yearly lease. But in these ones, we'll be doing a heck of a lot more, which is exciting."

The band council and its 2,400 adult members will be casting ballots Monday and Wednesday. Once the vote is tabulated, the first nation will share its findings with the City of Vancouver.

The City of Vancouver is already well aware of the plans. If the project goes through, the band would have to work with the city for water and sewer services, and to discuss impacts on the neighbourhood and traffic.
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/186667--squamish-band-votes-on-towers-next-to-vanier-park

Vancity
Feb 21, 2011, 2:37 AM
In this photograph from 1982, you can see a portion of the old train tracks that curved around the Credit Union building, including the rail trestle that used to cross False Creek:

that's pretty crazy how much the city has changed.

Millennium2002
Feb 21, 2011, 6:38 AM
I look at the two comments (so far) in that news article and I'm seriously appalled by the reaction already.

Maybe later News1130 will post my counterargument, which basically stresses self-sufficiency, progress, and economic development. =)

invisibleairwaves
Feb 21, 2011, 2:55 PM
The small-government conservative in me wants to see the band produce something fantastic and embarrass the city and its micromanaging. I have a feeling that won't happen though.

Best of luck to them, in any case.

whatnext
Feb 22, 2011, 12:08 AM
BTW -
I saw a small blimp (the kind that takes view photos for condo projects) in the general vicinity of the south end of Burrard Bridge on Saturday.

From News1130:

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/186667--squamish-band-votes-on-towers-next-to-vanier-park

I had to laugh at woman griping about the "world's ugliest building". What are the chances she was living there before it was built? :rolleyes:

Since nobody's seen how the towers' 2,000 residents are going to access the existing road network, I wonder how blasé about the development the Kits Point Residents Association is going to be if a bunch of cars are dumped onto Chestnut?

SpongeG
Feb 22, 2011, 2:39 AM
it is the worlds ugliset building though it needs to go

flight_from_kamakura
Feb 22, 2011, 3:54 AM
i think it's pretty neat, reminds me of hawaii or something. as for the development itself, i hope there's some consideration given to future light rail right of way from granville island into vanier park. something that ought to have been done long ago, imo.

yogiderek
Feb 23, 2011, 3:36 AM
The comments on the radio blog are getting more interesting. Love the one about building the tallest building on the westcoast to make a statement about this being Indian land. :) Now wouldn't that piss of the nimby's.

djh
Feb 23, 2011, 5:07 AM
The comments on the radio blog are getting more interesting. Love the one about building the tallest building on the westcoast to make a statement about this being Indian land. :) Now wouldn't that piss of the nimby's.

If that were to happen, it could totally ruin the city's argument for preserving viewcones that cross that spot. Any developer wanting to build "behind" a huge native tower could say "well, WE'RE not ruining any views from city hall..." LOL

cornholio
Feb 23, 2011, 5:59 AM
Just because its "native land" doesnt mean they have unlimited rights to do what they want with it. Any serious conflict between the residents, city and the natives can end up in supreme court and they would have the final say. I am sure the natives have good legal advice though and will know the limits of what they can get away with(which is allot obviously).

Contrary to popular belief natives dont have unlimited rights to their land regardless of what any political party at any point in time puts with ink on paper. In the end the courts still have the final say to determine what the limits of their rights are if a serious enough issue makes its way to them.

trofirhen
Feb 23, 2011, 8:30 PM
I had to laugh at woman griping about the "world's ugliest building". What are the chances she was living there before it was built? :rolleyes:

Since nobody's seen how the towers' 2,000 residents are going to access the existing road network, I wonder how blasé about the development the Kits Point Residents Association is going to be if a bunch of cars are dumped onto Chestnut?

it is the worlds ugliset building though it needs to go
:previous:
Pardon a dumbass question, but which building is being referred to as "the world's ugliest building," exactly?

wrenegade
Feb 23, 2011, 8:50 PM
This one:

Street View (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=burrard+and+cornwall&aq=&sll=49.261226,-123.113927&sspn=0.262146,0.727158&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Burrard+St+%26+Cornwall+Ave,+Vancouver,+Greater+Vancouver+Regional+District,+British+Columbia,+Canada&ll=49.272663,-123.146353&spn=0.00819,0.022724&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=49.272789,-123.146325&panoid=pvzAY4DRAN52XSmDdofBqg&cbp=12,49.92,,0,-12)

trofirhen
Feb 23, 2011, 9:37 PM
This one:

Street View (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=burrard+and+cornwall&aq=&sll=49.261226,-123.113927&sspn=0.262146,0.727158&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Burrard+St+%26+Cornwall+Ave,+Vancouver,+Greater+Vancouver+Regional+District,+British+Columbia,+Canada&ll=49.272663,-123.146353&spn=0.00819,0.022724&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=49.272789,-123.146325&panoid=pvzAY4DRAN52XSmDdofBqg&cbp=12,49.92,,0,-12)
:previous:
Ah yes. that's the one I thought. Don't knock it too hard, though. Before it was green, it was an orangey colour. (super-blecch)!!

worldwide
Feb 24, 2011, 6:38 AM
i like that thing. beauty is in the eye of the beholder

trofirhen
Feb 24, 2011, 12:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's very true! In fact, come to think of it, I don't mind it all that much myself. There are surely uglier buildings in the city (Vancouver City Hall itself being one, I'm sure) and the building in question here is, I'm sure, far, far, far, from being "the ugliest building in the world."

whatnext
Feb 24, 2011, 4:22 PM

I like it too, reminds me of the Ilikai in HNL. Actually its a better design, as it blends the angles of intersection, whereas the Ilikia doesn't. They just need to paint it a better colour. I expect those shades were chosen for ease of maintenance.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm184/honolulu-dispatchphoto/Honolulu%20Real%20Estate/Ilikai-web.jpg

Ilikai photo from photobucket, courtesy of Honolulu-Dispatch

officedweller
Feb 24, 2011, 11:37 PM
Agreed, I like the shape of the green tower - reminds me of a small version of a Las Vegas hotel.

SpongeG
Feb 25, 2011, 2:42 AM
it needs balconies or a wrecking ball

whatnext
Feb 25, 2011, 2:49 AM
it needs balconies or a wrecking ball

Actually, balconies would only ruin the smooth, clean lines of the building. it just needs a better paint scheme.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bvohra/4632678243/