PDA

View Full Version : [Halifax] LeMarchant Place | ? m | 7 fl | Completed

Pages : [1] 2

Dmajackson
Apr 30, 2010, 7:33 PM
This was brought up on the General Updates & News thread. Since will be a significant development for the area I think a dedicated thread suites this proposal well.

According to the allnovascotia.com, Dalhousie University is planning to build a new $30 -$35 million dollar residence for about 300 students. It should be complete by September 2012 and be on LeMarchant.

Hmm... I wonder where on LeMarchant? I can't think of any empty lots, so maybe they are taking down some of the "homes" that they own and had converted to office space.

I caught the tail end of a news snippet the other night that was talking about Dal and mentioned a $30M price tag that also included a new sports facility to replace Dalplex....perhaps this is part of the same.

It is described in more detail in this report (http://campusplan.dal.ca/Files/Report_Sept_2009.pdf) on page 24 (of 206 pages). It will be 6 floors of 30,000 square feet per floor with the first 2 floors being offices and student services.

Ahhh ok.

This is where it is going:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf5dm99q0rrk&scene=43569442&lvl=2&sty=b

ScovaNotian
May 1, 2010, 12:30 AM
The connection between the new residence and the Dalplex expansion is explained here (http://dalnews.dal.ca/2010/04/26/fitness.html) :
The Dalhousie Campus Plan proposes that a new fitness centre be built on the space currently occupied by the aging Eliza Ritchie Hall. The university won’t be able to spare those beds until a mixed-use building on LeMarchant Street with 300 new residence spaces is built by September 2012. That means the earliest expected opening date for a fitness centre is sometime in 2014 ...

Jonovision
May 7, 2010, 2:34 PM
From todays Herald:

Dalhousie plans to build $33m student residence

Dalhousie University is planning to build a roughly $33-million student residence in Halifax that will accommodate 300 people, the school said on its website Thurs day.

It will be on LeMarchant Street, across from Risley Hall, and should be ready for occupancy in September 2012.

Construction is to start next February after university-owned houses on the building site are demolished, said dalnews.dal.ca.

One of four houses will be relocated on campus, the website said.

“With an increasing proportion of students coming from out of the province, we need more beds, especially due to the declining population of university-bound students in the region," Jeff Lamb, Dalhousie’s assistant vice-presi dent of facilities management, said on the website.

Funding for the project comes, in part, from the school’s sale of Fenwick Tower, the south-end highrise that used to house Dal housie students. The new Dalhousie residence is to incorporate sustainable build ing practices, the website said.

Jonovision
May 7, 2010, 2:38 PM
I just hope it looks better then the last residence they built.

fenwick16
Oct 26, 2010, 6:25 AM
According to the allnovascotia.com, Dalhousie University has approved their $600 million dollar masterplan.

The first project will be the LaMarchant Street residences which is currently in the design phase and could start as soon as the summer of 2011. It will be 7 storeys high and cost $35 million to $45 million.

The Masterplan also includes a major Sexton Campus building (Engineering/Architecture campus which is close to the proposed new Central Library), twin 17 - 20 storey Sir Charles Tupper Buildings, and renovations and expansions of the Dalplex , Arts Centre (Rebecca Cohn Auditorium) and Killiam Library. It appears from renderings in the most recent masterplan that the exterior of the Killam LIbrary will be replaced with glass.

someone123
Oct 26, 2010, 6:32 AM
It appears from renderings in the most recent masterplan that the exterior of the Killam LIbrary will be replaced with glass.

Interesting. To me the Killam Library is a very mixed building with some good aspects and some bad aspects. Many people like the atrium in particular, with its natural light, trees, water features, and windows into the library. I also like some other ground-floor interior spaces and staircases.

The exterior is interesting but could be greatly improved if well-handled. The plaza at the base and the stone in the ground floor wall is attractive and would go well with glass.

One of the worst aspects of the building is some of the windowless offices in upper floors. I knew a prof stuck up there and would have hated to have to sit in that office (although she totally deserved it :)).

fenwick16
Oct 26, 2010, 7:08 AM
Here is a rendering of the Killam renovation. I will miss the current brutalist exterior.

PS: The page below mentions an addition to the Killam and the accompanying sketch shows an addition covering two sides. So, I am not sure if the entire Killam exterior will be replaced or just the two sides where the addition is going.

(source: http://campusplan.dal.ca/Files/Dalhousie%2520Framework%2520Report%25209-14-10.pdf )
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3727/killamlibrarynewexterio.jpg

someone123
Oct 26, 2010, 7:27 AM
I really like the "Lower Quad" design, and the idea of restoring some symmetry to that area. Right now the main quad area does not relate very well to University Avenue.

The LeMarchant/gym site is also a nice central location to add more academic space.

Dmajackson
Aug 25, 2011, 12:31 AM
Case 17156 Details (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case17156Details.html)

This was brought up in the General Updates & News Thread.

Public Information September 7th at 7pm in the Rowe Management Building (Dalhousie University Avenue).

eastcoastal
Aug 25, 2011, 1:08 AM
Interesting... finding it hard to read the elevation drawings. Doesn't look like the other recent residence buildings ... so maybe good?

someone123
Aug 25, 2011, 2:05 AM
I can't tell if I like the design from the elevations but given the architects and the more elaborate facade my guess is that this will be a step up from the ugly building across the street. The fact that they thought to make this a mixed-use building is another very good sign. And the site plan is better than Risley.

This will be a welcome addition to South Street.

halifaxboyns
Sep 6, 2011, 2:39 PM
New Dalhousie residence worries homeowners

Plans by Dalhousie University to build a third student residence along South Street have local homeowners worried about increased noise in the neighbourhood.

The university has applied to rezone some of its properties at the corner of LeMarchant and South streets in order to construct a seven-storey residence for more than 300 students.

Once the residence is built, there will be a total of 1,300 students in the area.

Brad McRae, who lives kitty corner to the proposed development, said he and his neighbours are worried their sleep will be disrupted by noisy students coming home from downtown bars in the wee hours of the morning.

"The students walk down South Street to go to the bars that are open until 4 a.m. so you can have a pretty sleepless night," McRae said.

The rest of the story is here. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/09/06/ns-dalhousie-residence-south-street.html)

beyeas
Sep 6, 2011, 6:19 PM
Arg... this is my neighbourhood, and not ALL of us feel that way.
Hell, when you choose to buy in a downtown neighbourhood close to a university you choose live in a place with ambient background noise of students.

It was funny last night actually... there were some drunk students playing on the slides at LeMarchant School and screaming away at like 2 am... I finally yelled out the window "Shut the #$%@ up", to which one of the respond "Pardon?". I repeated it and they said "Sorry!" and quieted down. The politeness of their response was rather humorous counter-point to their drunkedness.

When students are being destructive with property, leaving garbage on their front lawns etc etc, that is one thing. When students do that they are going to hear from me.
But playing music at reasonable hours and generally being a silly university student is just the background of life in this area!

haligonia
Sep 6, 2011, 6:36 PM
It's silly to complain about this sort of stuff when you choose to live right next to the University.

halifaxboyns
Sep 6, 2011, 7:56 PM
It's an urban area - people should expect noise. Especially living around a university. It's impossible for the city to regulate how people will use the street, where they walk...that's just pointless.

People need to grow up and realize when you live next to a university, it will be noising from university students. Just as living on Brunswick Street, you expect noise from traffic and from people going to the bars/metro centre.

RyeJay
Sep 7, 2011, 2:29 AM
My god Halifax.... complaints: even about UNIVERSITY expansion.

NEW RULE: if you live on the peninsula and you are in ANYWAY anti-urban, anti-development, or anti-SOCIAL--then you are not allowed to live on the peninsula.

If you want to live in your bubble, live in it: in Clayton Park.

Or. Try the bottom of the harbour. That should drown out any development sounds, or laughter from happy people.

someone123
Sep 7, 2011, 2:36 AM
My god Halifax.... complaints: even about UNIVERSITY expansion.

A big part of the problem is that the media (CBC is particularly bad) tend to go for the complainers and favour negative stories.

If you look in a ten block radius of a new development you're always going to find somebody willing to complain, if only because they want attention. It doesn't mean that the complaint is the prevailing opinion.

Dmajackson
Sep 7, 2011, 3:05 AM
Case 17156 Details (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case17156Details.html)

This was brought up in the General Updates & News Thread.

Public Information September 7th at 7pm in the Rowe Management Building (Dalhousie University Avenue).

Well if you there are no plans for tomorrow night people can go scream at the locals. Maybe there will be a few drunk college students to accurately reflect the local demographics.

ScovaNotian
Sep 7, 2011, 10:32 AM
As far as noise is concerned, the only resident that is quoted in the article seems to have constructive criticism (that coincides with what Dal is planning anyway) rather than squarely opposing the development.

beyeas
Sep 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
I actually consider this to be a good thing for the neighbourhood.

It is not like these students are not going to exist if this residence doesn't get built. They will just live elsewhere.

The two options, if it is not built, are 1) that they live farther away from Dal, thereby further increasing traffic as 1300 extra students try and drive into the south end or 2) demand for local rental flats goes up thereby increasing the pressure to turn more private homes in the area into student rentals.

Of the available options, building the residence is by far the best solution.

beyeas
Sep 9, 2011, 11:47 AM
I almost threw the paper out the window when I read this article.

Here is an example quote from someone as to their argument why the residence should not be built:

"Property developers from Toronto will buy up private houses in the neighbourhood and increase the ghetto," said Coburg Road resident Owen Carrigan, who stood up to speak at the meeting. "What we need is to be looking at is a different model of student accommodation. . . . Then we might stop the total destruction of the old south end."

Ahhhh yes... The old south end. How he yearns for the days when it was the exclusive home to the estates of old white guys.

To his credit (insert sarcastic glare here), he did at least offer an alternative plan...
... he would like to see gated student communities built.
:hell:

If you can't get rid of them, at least lock them away eh?

I really am in awe of the sheer stupidity of people. Like I said above, the students aren't going to magically disappear if this doesn't get built. His argument is in fact 100% wrong, because the surest way to put more pressure on converting homes to student flats is to not provide residence alternatives. ARG!

Quoted from The Chronicle Herald
South-enders fear ramifications of change
By SELENA ROSS
Thu, Sep 8 - 5:51 PM

planarchy
Sep 9, 2011, 12:11 PM
I almost threw the paper out the window when I read this article.

Here is an example quote from someone as to their argument why the residence should not be built:

Ahhhh yes... The old south end. How he yearns for the days when it was the exclusive home to the estates of old white guys.

To his credit (insert sarcastic glare here), he did at least offer an alternative plan...

:hell:

If you can't get rid of them, at least lock them away eh?

I really am in awe of the sheer stupidity of people. Like I said above, the students aren't going to magically disappear if this doesn't get built. His argument is in fact 100% wrong, because the surest way to put more pressure on converting homes to student flats is to not provide residence alternatives. ARG!

Quoted from The Chronicle Herald
South-enders fear ramifications of change
By SELENA ROSS
Thu, Sep 8 - 5:51 PM

I was equally as shocked reading Carrigan's quotes. But his preference for gates are less of a surprise seeing that he is the author of this gem:

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT IN CANADA: A HISTORY
by D. Owen Carrigan
ISBN 13: 9780771018923

Dr. Carrigan is a history Prof. at SMU.

ScovaNotian
Sep 9, 2011, 12:21 PM
I've been trying to figure out the reasoning behind the "property developers from Toronto" statement. Presumably, 300 new rez rooms will decrease demand for off-campus housing, not increase it. Is he worried that house prices will drop or is he simply incoherent?

Jonovision
Sep 9, 2011, 12:36 PM
I was more shocked and appalled at this fine comment.

"Break-ins, ramshackle buildings and a high incidence of rape are what happens when developers and criminals take advantage of students living in close quarters, Carrigan said after the meeting. "

I understand some people are passionate and possibly a bit crazy, but I expect a bit more from the Herald. Rape.....really?!

beyeas
Sep 9, 2011, 2:22 PM
I've been trying to figure out the reasoning behind the "property developers from Toronto" statement. Presumably, 300 new rez rooms will decrease demand for off-campus housing, not increase it. Is he worried that house prices will drop or is he simply incoherent?

Exactly.

And the answer is probably both, but with an emphasis on the latter.

beyeas
Sep 9, 2011, 2:25 PM
I was more shocked and appalled at this fine comment.

"Break-ins, ramshackle buildings and a high incidence of rape are what happens when developers and criminals take advantage of students living in close quarters, Carrigan said after the meeting. "

I understand some people are passionate and possibly a bit crazy, but I expect a bit more from the Herald. Rape.....really?!

I was surprised he even bothered to mildly discriminate between developers and criminals, since he clearly lumps them all together in one group.

And the thing that amused me most about the snotty comment about Torontonians coming in and buying up rentals is that it is probably more true that the most rental properties in the area are in fact investment properties owned by his fellow neighbours in "the old south end".

someone123
Sep 9, 2011, 3:31 PM
This is the funniest Herald article I've seen in quite some time. I'm pretty sure the writer was trying to make them look ridiculous.

I love the vague title and Sue Uteck's comment at the end.

musicman
Sep 10, 2011, 1:25 AM
I have come to the conclusion that people have to prove they are not idiots, and even then they are on probation.

someone123
Sep 19, 2011, 2:42 AM
There is a small rendering of the residence building on the Eastin Construction web page:

http://www.eastin.ca/images/dalhousie.jpg

http://www.eastin.ca/education.html

kph06
Oct 16, 2011, 1:24 PM
Dal has a larger version of this rendering on their website now.
http://www.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/images/plan/campus_plan_lemarchant_mixed_use.JPG
Source (http://www.dal.ca/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building.html)

fenwick16
Oct 16, 2011, 2:18 PM
It looks like an interesting addition to the Dalhousie Campus. I like the design.

Keith P.
Oct 16, 2011, 2:20 PM
Maybe Dal ought to fix their pension fund before building all these new structures.

fenwick16
Oct 16, 2011, 2:42 PM
Maybe Dal ought to fix their pension fund before building all these new structures.

They probably should just wait a couple of years on the pension plan. I don't think the stock markets can go down much more than they already have.

I think the building funds are coming from private contributions so I don't think that it can be diverted to their pension fund - I certainly hope not.

Jstaleness
Oct 16, 2011, 5:50 PM
I like how open it will be in the entrance area's. Looks well lit and safe. Good addition.

someone123
Oct 16, 2011, 6:06 PM
I seem to recall that Risley Hall was funded through a combination of donations and financing to be covered with residence fees. In other words, it didn't really cost Dalhousie anything. Not sure how this building will work since it is not all residences.

I work in the private sector so I don't have a ton of sympathy for the pension issue, aside from the fact that the pension was promised in the first place. It seems crazy that the university is in practice 100% on the hook for risks to the fund. The lucky older employees get great, unsustainable pensions. Meanwhile, younger people have to pay high tuition and then by the time they get out into the workforce they'll have to fend for themselves. It doesn't seem like a very fair situation.

Keith P.
Oct 16, 2011, 7:20 PM
I work in the private sector so I don't have a ton of sympathy for the pension issue, aside from the fact that the pension was promised in the first place. It seems crazy that the university is in practice 100% on the hook for risks to the fund. The lucky older employees get great, unsustainable pensions. Meanwhile, younger people have to pay high tuition and then by the time they get out into the workforce they'll have to fend for themselves. It doesn't seem like a very fair situation.

This is a common point of view but it is one I do not share.

The "unsustainable" comment is where we disagree These types of funds are hardly new. They have been around for generations. Someone contributes for 30+ years, the employer matches their contribution, and for all those years the fund trustees invest the contributions and earn a return. It is no different in that respect from a defined-contribution plan.

When the person retires there is an understanding that the nest egg will be sufficient to find the expected lifespan of the pension payout. That is based on actuarial studies and expected rates of return that in tandem determined contribution rates over the years. It was never a problem until the last few years. In fact, 10 or so years ago the plans were in such a surplus position that many had to refund contributions to members.

Now the markets have tanked and suddenly everyone who has no such plan is complaining that they are unsustainable. Not so. If and when the markets recover suddenly there will be no deficit in the plan. I take issue with the pension rules that say every plan must be 100% funded. In the case of private companies like NewPage we can see why those rules might be necessary. But does anyone expect Dal to go out of business? I think not. What needs to be changed are the rules, not necessarily the plans.

someone123
Oct 16, 2011, 8:07 PM
What needs to be changed are the rules, not necessarily the plans.

Sure, but I consider the rules part of the plans. It seems pretty clear that the rules are messed up when surpluses get paid back out to members but risk is assumed by the institution itself.

My sense of the whole issue of public employee unions is that they tend to get unfair deals because they have a disproportionate amount of power over politicians. It's far easier to cave into demands and leave a mess for the future than it is to drive a hard bargain and risk political fallout. Note that many public institutions also have a lot of older employees and pretty restricted hiring practices (including hiring freezes related to tight budgets related to employee compensation), so not everybody can share in these sweetheart deals even if they are qualified. Actually what I expect is that many of the great benefits will simply not be extended to new hires and will die out with the old employees.

What's the average age of a prof at Dal? 55-60? What was the average age of profs at Dal in 1980?

There's a much more general issue at play here, which is that changing technology and globalization are destroying many of the entitlements and advantages of past generations.

There are still people in the grocery store by my house making $25 or so an hour because of old collective agreements more or less inherited from the 70s. What do the new employees make? Minimum wage, which has effectively been falling in BC for years (good luck buying any property whatsoever here on that wage!). The union at one point agreed to a different pay schedule for new hires.

kph06
Oct 19, 2011, 2:51 PM
I spoke to the people from Dal at VivaCity last night and got a few more details on this.

-Aecon will be the general contractor, the Mona Campbell building was the last Dal building they did.
-A fence will be going up soon around the four buildings that will be demolished, Aecon is chomping at the bit to get the go-ahead to hire a demolision company.
-Dal is still working out the kinks on how this new building will connect to the rink, as the two buildings will be very close together.
-Eliza Ritchie Hall will be closed when this opens which will make way for the Dalplex expansion.

mcmcclassic
Oct 20, 2011, 2:08 PM
Eliza Ritchie Hall will be closed when this opens which will make way for the Dalplex expansion.

I doubt I will still be at Dal when the Dalplex is expanded, but this is an incredibly necessary project for the university. The Dalplex is too small and out of date in its current state and will be leagues better with the additional wing added.

One good thing for me is that I won't have to pay into the fees pool they will be creating to pay for the new Dalplex - somewhere around $125-$150 per student per year. :tup:

JET
Oct 20, 2011, 2:56 PM
I doubt I will still be at Dal when the Dalplex is expanded, but this is an incredibly necessary project for the university. The Dalplex is too small and out of date in its current state and will be leagues better with the additional wing added.

One good thing for me is that I won't have to pay into the fees pool they will be creating to pay for the new Dalplex - somewhere around $125-$150 per student per year. :tup:

Amazing, my full-time tuition at Dal in 1976 was $780. No wonder tuition is so high, all those nice new buildings.

mcmcclassic
Oct 20, 2011, 3:31 PM
Amazing, my full-time tuition at Dal in 1976 was $780. No wonder tuition is so high, all those nice new buildings.

I dream of tuition rates that low haha-- with all the fees, levies, etc as well as tuition+ books, a year at Dal costs me around $8000.

Should have gone to NSCC for welding.... lol

Waye Mason
Oct 20, 2011, 4:12 PM

$1750 for a full course load in 1990. I took a language credit in 2007 and it cost $1700.

JET
Oct 20, 2011, 4:24 PM
I dream of tuition rates that low haha-- with all the fees, levies, etc as well as tuition+ books, a year at Dal costs me around $8000.

Should have gone to NSCC for welding.... lol

Makes ya think; what in 1976 cost $1 and now costs $10, what in 1976 cost $10 and now is $100
What in 1976 cost $800, and now costs $8,000? only tuition

Keith P.
Oct 20, 2011, 11:27 PM
I was there around the same time as Jet. Once taking into account my scholarships and fellowships, I actually finished up making a bit of money from going to university - that is without any outside job.

someone123
Oct 20, 2011, 11:58 PM
It's actually even worse because the average value of a degree has also fallen and minimum/low wages have been falling in real terms for years. That BA that costs $8000 a year really does not distinguish you much in the workforce and even if you take a retail job or something you are not going to be able to avoid debt unless you get other help. Top students can still do very well, but the people who previously might have just done pretty well in high school and then maybe or maybe not gotten a BA or something are much worse off paying tens of thousands before getting a low-paying white collar job.

This is going to have pretty bad consequences for the economy, particularly in the US (land of $40k tuition and no jobs) when it turns out that 32 year olds are still paying off student loans instead of buying cars and houses. And even if somebody at that age does buy a house, they'll be paying it off for a long time if they're in one of the more expensive housing markets.

I won't be surprised if, looking back in 30 years or so, there will be a marked decline in living standards between baby boomers and those who graduated around 2008 or so.

pblaauw
Nov 29, 2011, 11:56 PM
A couple "temporary shelters" were hauled into the parking lot of Risley Hall this morning, and there's a fence around the houses on the other side of the street.

GUB
Nov 30, 2011, 1:34 AM
I was there around the same time as Jet. Once taking into account my scholarships and fellowships, I actually finished up making a bit of money from going to university - that is without any outside job.

Well aren't you wonderul!

Keith P.
Nov 30, 2011, 2:27 AM
Well aren't you wonderul!

Well, yes. :cool:

Seriously, it was a combination of much lower tuition, and marks that earned a few awards and prizes.

fenwick16
Nov 30, 2011, 2:33 AM

Did you do it through good studying habits or were you able to do it without much effort?

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 30, 2011, 5:14 AM
It's actually even worse because the average value of a degree has also fallen and minimum/low wages have been falling in real terms for years. That BA that costs $8000 a year really does not distinguish you much in the workforce and even if you take a retail job or something you are not going to be able to avoid debt unless you get other help. Top students can still do very well, but the people who previously might have just done pretty well in high school and then maybe or maybe not gotten a BA or something are much worse off paying tens of thousands before getting a low-paying white collar job.

This is going to have pretty bad consequences for the economy, particularly in the US (land of $40k tuition and no jobs) when it turns out that 32 year olds are still paying off student loans instead of buying cars and houses. And even if somebody at that age does buy a house, they'll be paying it off for a long time if they're in one of the more expensive housing markets.

I won't be surprised if, looking back in 30 years or so, there will be a marked decline in living standards between baby boomers and those who graduated around 2008 or so.

Very good analysis... I am one of those 2008 grads. I don't know what the long-term impact will be in living standards. Where is all this baby boomer money going to go? The whole occupy movement seems funny to me because it seems to be more generational than Wall Street specifically... middle-aged white people are the ones investing in the stock market. Sure, the gap has increased between the rich and poor, but it also has blown wide open on the young vs. the middle-aged (those older than the baby boomers are getting screwed).

As the most representative years of generation y we should see a transfer of alot of this wealth at some stage, unless it is all lost in investment.

Although I'm sure the composition of actual university graduates has increased in the workforce due to younger staffing... and credential inflation somewhat implies that more of us know more than the people we will replace. Eventually generation y will become the baby boomers, as they will all have died, regardless of what people think the paradigm shift is going to be, there will still be gaps in the age sex pyramid unless immigration fills that in.

pblaauw
Nov 30, 2011, 11:13 PM
Dal arena to be razed for new residences (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/11/30/ns-dalhousie-arena-to-come-down.html?cmp=rss)

cormiermax
Nov 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
Dal arena to be razed for new residences (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/11/30/ns-dalhousie-arena-to-come-down.html?cmp=rss)

Thats a shame, I always liked the look of that roof.

gm_scott
Nov 30, 2011, 11:26 PM
What! The new residences were never going to take this spot. Check out page 22
http://www.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/plan/Dal%20Campus%20Master%20Plan%20Framework%20Plan.pdf

haligonia
Nov 30, 2011, 11:29 PM
Thats a shame, I always liked the look of that roof.

It's one of the most unique roof lines in Halifax. The inside is quite beautiful as well. The wooden roof is stunning.

http://athletics.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/images/athletics/facilities/memorialarena.jpg
Source (http://athletics.dal.ca/membership_facilities/facilities/memorial_arena.html)

someone123
Dec 1, 2011, 12:00 AM
It's not the cheapest building possible! Demolish it immediately!

Keith P.
Dec 1, 2011, 12:09 AM
The report on the news said the roof needed replacing and that the cost would be $4 million. They said it was too expensive, but that it would be replaced sometime in the next 5 years with a new facility somewhere else (which is sure to cost much more than $4 million).

I am feeling old as I remember that being built.

haligonia
Dec 1, 2011, 12:55 AM
The report on the news said the roof needed replacing and that the cost would be $4 million. They said it was too expensive, but that it would be replaced sometime in the next 5 years with a new facility somewhere else (which is sure to cost much more than $4 million).

Hopefully the new arena will also have some architectural merit.

kph06
Dec 1, 2011, 1:01 AM
That's a real shame, I was always so excited when I had games here as a kid. Definitely my favorite rink in the city to play in. I think they've had problems with the roof almost since it was built. When I spoke to the Dal rep at Vivacity, I asked him how they were going to make the new residence work with the rink, he sighed and said they were still trying to work a few things out.

-Harlington-
Dec 1, 2011, 3:49 AM
Weird that they would do that without getting a new home for the hockey team first

Guess they're gonna have to flood Wickwire field .

JET
Dec 1, 2011, 1:13 PM

It seems like only yesterday that it was new and had just been built.
Hard to figure that houses that are centuries old are still solid, and a building a few decades old has to come down.

Jstaleness
Dec 1, 2011, 2:59 PM
Does it have to come down? Could it really cost 4 million to replace a wooden roof or were they planning on replacing with something other than wood? Glass panels maybe? It just seems like a waste of a cool building.

someone123
Dec 1, 2011, 6:35 PM
Well, $4M is not actually a large sum of money for an institution the size of Dalhousie. They have on the order of 20,000 students, faculty, and staff, an endowment of over $300M, and regularly get large donations for capital expenses. Additionally if they do build a new rink it's not going to be free and they will need to build more than just a roof. Maybe they think a wealthy benefactor is more likely to want to pay for a full rink or something. Or maybe they want to tie it in with DalPlex improvements.

In any case they haven't communicated this very well if the sports teams are scrambling to find rinks elsewhere. I don't think that's a great way for a public institution to operate. Maybe there was some sort of public dialogue about this a while ago..?

beyeas
Dec 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
A major Dalhousie construction project is moving forward – but it will also bring with it short- and long-term implications for athletics and recreation facilities on campus.

The Dalhousie Board of Governors passed the motion to construct the new LeMarchant Street Mixed-Use Facility—which will house 326 residence beds along with several student services—but to build the facility, the Memorial Arena will need to come down, leaving the university without an arena for about four years.

The Mixed-Use Facility has been in the planning stages for the past year and has involved a great deal of consultation with user groups including current students on the design/layout of the residence rooms. At seven stories, the building will cost $48 million and, in addition to the residence spaces, will also be home to the Student Recruitment & Welcoming Centre, International and Black Student Centres, Health Services and Counseling Services.

However, shortly after the project entered the design stage, it became apparent that the neighbouring Memorial Arena—almost 30 years old—would not be able to accommodate the extra snow-load resulting from the new building, and would require a new roof at a cost of $3-4 million. When added to the other planned upgrades to the arena (identified in the campus master plan), this would put the total renovation costs for the arena at $10-12 million – roughly the same as the cost to build a new basic facility.

The arena is scheduled to come down following exams in April 2012.

“We’re working on a solution to house our varsity and recreation programs and are close to finalizing the details,” says Director of Athletics John MacDonald. “Winter 2012 programming—varsity hockey games, skating lessons, ice rentals, intramural and sport club programs, member skating—will not be affected and will continue as scheduled.”
Improving campus recreation in the long term

Though the Board were only voting on the mixed-use facility construction—which necessitates taking down the arena—they were also shown how the university plans to use this opportunity to respond to campus recreation needs at an even quicker pace than originally planned.

In one possibility, the fitness and wellness components of the original Dalplex renewal plan identified in the campus planning process—including cardio equipment, group fitness facilities and physiotherapy services—would be constructed on the Memorial Arena site, rather than waiting for the proposed demolition of Eliza Ritchie Hall across the road on South Street (which cannot proceed until the mixed-use facility beds are available).

“This would mean that the construction of the fitness centre could begin in the Fall of 2012 and it could be open by the Spring of 2014, which is at least one year earlier than projected, providing much needed recreation and wellness for students,” says Jeff Lamb, assistant vice-president, Facilities Management. He notes that it’s this facility that students will support, once completed, through the Fitness and Recreational Renewal Fee.

This is part of the Dal News email story written by Keri Irwin.

Rest can be found here:
http://www.dal.ca/news/2011/11/30/mixed-use-facility-moves-ahead--memorial-arena-to-come-down.html?utm_source=dalnewsWeekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=162&utm_campaign=dalnews

someone123
Dec 2, 2011, 12:43 AM
Eliza Ritchie seems like a great example of how old does not imply heritage value. Then again, I don't think anybody will be up in arms when it comes down.

The snow load thing makes more sense in that it's the sort of thing I wouldn't necessarily imagine everybody knew about ahead of time. I certainly did not guess that this new building would increase the snow load on the roof.

I do wonder though about the difference between $10-12M for fixing the current arena and $10-12M for a new basic arena. Would the current one be nicer architecturally? Isn't it more environmentally responsible to upgrade the old building? I don't like our throwaway culture. It might be more efficient but I doubt it.

In any case, the rendering looks cool.

kph06
Jan 3, 2012, 7:43 PM
There are some more renderings on the Campus Development website (http://www.dal.ca/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building.html) of this building. Demo of the old houses is now well underway.

http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_1.image.jpg
Source (http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_1.image.jpg)

http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_3.image.jpg
Source (http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_3.image.jpg)

http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_2.image.jpg
Source (http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_2.image.jpg)

http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_0.image.jpg
Source (http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_0.image.jpg)

gm_scott
Jan 3, 2012, 10:29 PM
I do like this one a lot

someone123
Jan 4, 2012, 3:22 AM
Definitely a step up from Risley Hall, which was pretty disappointing architecturally when it went up (not sure what it's like inside).

kph06
Jan 14, 2012, 9:35 PM
2 houses are down, with 2 to go, plus one on the corner of LeMarchant and University was torn down. Photos by me:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6696703061_b99a941f9e_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6696704567_96af0d4709_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6696706367_35c0ba12b1_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6696707575_59f133071d_b.jpg
(Grad House - not coming down)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6696712737_2c08cd20fa_b.jpg
(LeMarchant and University)

Wishblade
Jan 14, 2012, 9:44 PM
Mmm, these photos remind me what a shame it is that the Dal arena can't be saved :(

kph06
Feb 5, 2012, 8:25 PM
All the buildings are down now, excavation looks like it will start any day now. Photos by me:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6824875037_cd0cb78200_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6824881333_9be854d759_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6824877275_bb6d150dfe_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6824879719_5e6478c820_b.jpg

kph06
Mar 16, 2012, 5:42 PM
According to the weekly construction updates, (http://www.dal.ca/about/our_campus/plan/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/weekly-construction-update0.html) concrete is being poured today for the crane base and the crane will start showing up next week.

kph06
Mar 22, 2012, 6:38 PM
I drove by last night, they were still breaking rock at 8:00pm. The excavation is quite deep now, you could just see the top of the excavators arm down in the hole. Some formwork is on site, no sign of a crane yet.

fenwick16
Mar 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
A story from the Chronicle Herald. Settling foundations shouldn't be a problem with the LeMarchant development :)

Residents get April break as crews stop cracking rocks at Dal construction site
March 25, 2012 - 6:00am By BILL SPURR Features Writer

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/pp032412excavation.jpg
A heavy-equipment operator breaks rock for the foundation of a new building at Dalhousie University in Halifax on Saturday. Neighbours say 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily excavation work is disturbing them. (PETER PARSONS / Staff)

To keep cracking the rocks from interfering with cracking the books, the Dalhousie University construction project that has neighbours up in arms will take a spring break.

Initial work on a $36-million residence has closed Le Marchant Street between South and Uni­versity streets, and closed win­dows in homes for blocks around. “As far as the noise goes, the problem is on the front end, all the rock breaking has to happen, all the excavation, so once that’s done, it’ll be just general con­struction noise," said Brian Naugle of Brycon, the subcon­tractor doing site excavation. “At the front of it, it’s like you have to crack the eggs to make the omelette."

The work site is across the street from Risley Hall, another residence. Describing the hydrau­lic hammer, a mechanical means of rock breaking, as “a whole lot better than blasting," Naugle said work is done whenever legally permitted.

someone123
Mar 25, 2012, 5:22 PM
In the past Dal scheduled exams in the arena. Presumably they still do. It would be horrible to have to sit in there next to a construction site like that for three hours while trying to write an exam.

Jonovision
Apr 11, 2012, 2:17 PM
Crane going up today!

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG282.jpg?t=1334147242

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG283.jpg?t=1334153069

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG284.jpg?t=1334153473

kph06
Apr 25, 2012, 1:23 AM
Construction fencing is now going up around the rink. Traffic has been diverted from the east field entrance to the west field exit (now two-way). It is only a matter of time until the rink is gone. I will try to grab some photos this week.

kph06
May 26, 2012, 5:46 PM
Most of the foundation walls are in now, here are a few photos by me from today:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7216/7274399188_23afc7cd81_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7084/7274398788_cab844079a_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8142/7274398406_69ff2dfdb4_b.jpg

kph06
Jul 4, 2012, 1:59 PM
Dal now has a Webcam (http://hpc.dal.ca/webcam/dalsub_current.jpg) for this project, so far it is the best view of the activity due to fill piles surrounding the site.

kph06
Jul 19, 2012, 8:10 PM
Looks like another excavator rolled:

http://hpc.dal.ca/webcam/dalsub_current.jpg
(Dal webcam - will refresh, contractor is in the process of trying to right the machine)

kph06
Aug 13, 2012, 1:51 PM
Driving by today I noticed there are a couple excavators parked by the rink - they look like the same ones Verhagen used on the Citadel Hotel demo, sadly I would say the end is near for the arena.

kph06
Aug 20, 2012, 4:52 PM
The rink is on its way down as the webcam above shows.

cormiermax
Aug 20, 2012, 5:49 PM
Sad.

kph06
Aug 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
This was my favorite rink to play in, it's a shame to see it go. Here are some photos from my way home.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7827465636_ef0ae65b22_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8428/7827466962_6e7514af78_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8307/7827465064_7211474cca_b.jpg

kph06
Sep 29, 2012, 7:28 PM
Photo from today:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8037/8036588086_3367a86c2a_b.jpg

Dmajackson
Jan 6, 2013, 3:08 AM
Photo taken by me:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8352101196_c1110fbe2d_z.jpg

fenwick16
Jan 6, 2013, 4:37 AM
This doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly. It appears as though only one floor has been added in the past 3 months.

kph06
Mar 2, 2013, 8:03 PM
Here are a couple from last weekend maybe. Progress has really picked up, this will be a big building when its all done.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8522371664_aa38e36674_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8521261327_fcc184b265_b.jpg

fenwick16
Mar 3, 2013, 1:06 AM
Here are a couple from last weekend maybe. Progress has really picked up, this will be a big building when its all done.

Thank you for posting the pictures. It will be 165,000 square feet - http://www.dal.ca/dept/facilities/campus-development/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/construction-information.html. This will be a significantly sized building. (and not cheap either - $48 million, almost as much as the Central Library)

(source: http://www.dal.ca/dept/facilities/campus-development/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building.html )
http://www.dal.ca/content/dalhousie/en/home/dept/facilities/campus-development/projects/lemarchant-street-mixed-use-building/_jcr_content/contentPar/featureslider_0/featureSlider/featureslide_1.image.jpg

fenwick16
Mar 3, 2013, 2:19 PM
I think there are plans to expand this building sometime in the future. The following statement is in the Dalhousie masterplan - "LeMarchant Street Redevelopment project; Phase 1 over 2 level of mixed use provides approximately 325 units; similar phase 2 has potential for another 250 units" (source: page 22 of http://www.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/plan/Dal%20Campus%20Master%20Plan%20Framework%20Plan.pdf ; this is a large pdf file).

One reason for demolishing the arena might have been for future expansion (especially since a joint SMU/Dalhousie arena is being planned for a different location).

someone123
Mar 3, 2013, 7:32 PM
This building is a big step up architecturally from Risley Hall.

From the perspective of filling in holes I'd like to see something across from the Chem building on the main quad to restore some symmetry to that area, or the new building next to the LSRI. That end of Summer Street used to feel a bit like the "parking district". I wonder if there are any plans for the empty lot on the south-east corner of Summer and College.

fenwick16
Mar 16, 2013, 3:24 PM

http://hpc.dal.ca/webcam/dalsub_current.jpg
(Dal webcam - will refresh, ...

This webcam of the LeMarchant Street residents shows that the exterior cladding is being installed.

Is there a chance that this residence will be ready for students in September 2013?

someone123
May 4, 2013, 8:02 PM
Funny. I was going to post a webcam update in this thread but the photo above already links to the up-to-date webcam image.

I'll put a current capture of the webcam in here anyway so we can look back in a couple of months and see the difference:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/3884/dalsubcurrent.jpg

Waye Mason
May 5, 2013, 5:34 PM
Spring 2014.

MeEtc
May 8, 2013, 8:13 PM
I don't think the webcam is updating. Look at the bottom, "Snowfall warning"?

Wishblade
May 8, 2013, 10:08 PM
I don't think the webcam is updating. Look at the bottom, "Snowfall warning"?

That's kind of odd actually because the time stamp in the upper left states the date as May 1st. So yes the webcam appears to have stopped working, but not that long ago.

eastcoastal
May 9, 2013, 11:38 AM
This is interesting... can't wait to see what the blocky overhangs and massing look like from pedestrian point of view.

someone123
Jun 1, 2013, 3:42 AM
Here's a pretty interesting view of South Street and this new building. It looks bigger than I thought it was:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8396/8907515782_1fab3469b6_h.jpg
Source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/onetreehillstudios/8907515782/)

gm_scott
Jun 1, 2013, 9:56 PM
The last picture makes halifax look TINY.

Aya_Akai
Jun 4, 2013, 5:23 AM
Here's a pretty interesting view of South Street and this new building. It looks bigger than I thought it was:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8396/8907515782_1fab3469b6_h.jpg
Source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/onetreehillstudios/8907515782/)

That is such a cool shot, cudos to the photographer. Looks like I'll be heading up to the top of Abbey Rd in Cowie Hill some day to get a couple shots, what a wicked perspective.

kph06
Jun 11, 2013, 6:08 PM
The crane is on the way down today.