PDA

View Full Version : 2300 Kingsway | 22fl | Completed

Pages : [1] 2

officedweller
Oct 15, 2007, 9:48 PM
The Hills (El Dorado site at Nanaimo & Kingsway) has a display centre going up at Georgia & Seymour downtown (in the old Compucentre store).

The Georgia Straight has a story with rendering:

http://www.straight.com/article-113433/the-midas-touch

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/images/1272336453.jpg

Georgia Straight Living
The midas touch
Georgia Straight Living By Charlie Smith
Publish Date: October 11, 2007

Developers struck gold selling east side condos with a west side feel; Kingsway’s the hills takes the stakes a little farther and a little higher.

Vancouver's reigning condo king, Bob Rennie, likes to joke that he was raised in the posh area of East Vancouver. "I grew up at 5th and Nanaimo," he said. "We always used to think that because the lots were 42 feet instead of 33 feet that we lived in a privileged area."

Rennie's mother worked for a while at the Eldorado Hotel, which is up the street at the corner of Nanaimo and Kingsway. Now, his company, Rennie Marketing Systems, is overseeing the marketing of a major mixed-use development that will be built on that site. The Holborn Group, headed by Simon Lim, is developing the project, which still awaits final approval from the City.

It's called The Hills, which refers to its position on the east side of the ridge going up Kingsway toward Renfrew Heights. The development will include a 22-storey high-rise, along with low-rise and townhome units. "We wanted to reinforce that there was a view," Rennie said.

Back in the old days, Rennie said, East Vancouver was almost like a suburb of Vancouver, and even if he felt he was living the high life on Nanaimo Street, most residents of the city's West Side probably didn't agree.

Today, however, high real-estate prices are wiping out that east-west divide. As Rennie likes to say, the city is moving east because there's nowhere else to go. He said this trend began in the 1970s when Daon Development Corporation, cofounded by Olympic boss Jack Poole, built the upscale Langara Estates on the east side of Cambie Street at 49th Avenue. Rennie said that at the time, people in the real-estate industry thought it was "insane", because it was an East Side address in most people's minds. But it worked.

"Cambie became the new Oak [Street]," Rennie said. "And Oak became the new Granville. And now Main Street is the new Cambie."

What this has meant is that a development such as King Edward Village, which offered a West Side feel, was able to succeed at the corner of Knight and Kingsway because units were so much less expensive than similar projects downtown or on the West Side, where land prices are astronomical. He said that condominiums at King Edward Village were sold for $100 less per square foot than similar units in other areas of the city.

"Now, we're probably saying $250 a foot less than downtown," he said, referring to The Hills. "They're really valid projects, and there's a reason why they work."

After a public hearing in January 2006, Vancouver city council unanimously approved a rezoning application to allow for approximately 350 units in a townhouse, low-rise, and high-rise project with commercial and live-work units. Plans call for a daycare facility, a food store, and a drugstore, which will transform this area of Kingsway into a lively destination.

"I would think that 40 to 50 percent of our buyers will come from within a three-mile radius," Rennie said. "That was proven out at King Edward Village. Not everybody wants to live downtown."

He cited the project's appeal for younger families, who will find the price range of $500 to $600 per square foot to be more affordable than what units are selling for in other areas of the city. The suites should appeal to younger buyers with a hankering for rich wenge woods, and colourful patterns featuring grass greens, whites, and chocolates.

Rennie said the key to high-rise living is ensuring there is sufficient access to good food outlets and drugstores. And a Starbucks, he quipped.

"It's no different than Concord Pacific's site," Rennie said, referring to the neighbourhood created on the north shore of False Creek in the 1990s. "It really didn't work until Urban Fare went in."

raggedy13
Oct 15, 2007, 11:15 PM
Looks pretty nice. I like the circular windows running up the building.

agrant
Oct 16, 2007, 12:01 AM
Looks like it would be one of the taller buildings in the area by far. Perhaps this is the start of a trend - a string of condo towers along Kingsway in the city proper.

officedweller
Oct 16, 2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah, but that strings of towers should really be along the Expo Line, not along Kingsway - or at least parallelled by a string of towers along the Expo Line.

SpongeG
Oct 16, 2007, 1:20 AM
yeah not good tie ins to the mass transit

but nice to see some of kingsway being made denser

WarrenC12
Oct 16, 2007, 2:11 AM
That site is only about 4-5 blocks from Nanaimo station.

Its not a great area though.. but that is probably because of the El Dorado, which will obviously be gone.

mr.x
Oct 16, 2007, 2:14 AM
i love it.

Canadian Mind
Oct 16, 2007, 2:19 AM
I like it. How many other highrises are in the area, or will it be paving a new district for highrises. I can't wait for False creek to be surrounded on all sides by towers... I'd even advocate sticking one in the middle of false creek by science wold, with pedestrian walkways leading to downtown, the olympic villiage, and to science world for access to mass transit.

as far as transit for this tower is concerned. with another 3 or 4 towers within a 1=2 block area, forming a little cluster, I'm sure the city would look into a streetcar network in that direction... who likes the idea of a streetcar along kingsway?

mr.x
Oct 16, 2007, 2:36 AM
^ there are quite a few corridors in Vancouver that are quite suitable for streetcar, and Kingsway is one of them. the others being Hastings, 41st Avenue, 4th Avenue, Main Street, and maybe Fraser Street?

giallo
Oct 16, 2007, 3:31 AM
I always welcome density outside of the core. This looks decent.

squeezied
Oct 16, 2007, 3:40 AM
I always welcome density outside of the core. This looks decent.

agreed.

agrant
Oct 16, 2007, 3:48 AM
^ there are quite a few corridors in Vancouver that are quite suitable for streetcar, and Kingsway is one of them. the others being Hastings, 41st Avenue, 4th Avenue, Main Street, and maybe Fraser Street?I'd imagine a 4th Avenue streetcar line being ultra slow. Both 41st and Main lines would be my first choices.

Canadian Mind
Oct 16, 2007, 4:32 AM
does this location happen to be on a hill?

androo3
Oct 16, 2007, 6:31 AM
a lot better than I was expecting, very nice tower

hollywoodnorth
Oct 16, 2007, 7:32 AM
does this location happen to be on a hill?

what are your 1st clue?

vanman
Oct 16, 2007, 8:41 AM
a lot better than I was expecting, very nice tower

Yeah I was impressed when I first saw the render in the straight.

squeezied
Oct 16, 2007, 8:55 AM
it looks a bit tacky like some of the ones along the m-line in burnaby, but i'm not complaining.

vanman
Oct 16, 2007, 9:00 AM
^What's tacky about it?

Canadian Mind
Oct 16, 2007, 7:04 PM
what are your 1st clue?

Well the name of course. But usually names are all marketing, and not always representative of the location. :P I'm not familiar with the area, so what can I say?

jo67sh
Oct 16, 2007, 10:29 PM
looks like before the Holborne group got involved in the Hills, the eldorado site was previously owned by the Chandler group now involved in pending legal law suit, according to the article below...
---------------------------
Court takes action against Mark Chandler

Susan Lazaruk, The Province
Published: Tuesday, October 16, 2007

B.C. Supreme Court has frozen $35 million of a developer's assets after investors alleged he misrepresented real-estate deals and forged a multimillion-dollar mortgage document.

Mark Chandler, whose developments include the second phase of the Garden City complex about to go on sale in Richmond, the sold-out Tribeca Lofts in Yaletown and the Homer and Helmcken development in Vancouver, is being sued by investors Theodore "Ted" and Susan Freeman.

They and their company, Susan Richards Investments, are suing for a return of their investments and a share of ownership and profits from the residential complexes or compensation up to $35 million.

The freeze order prohibits Chandler from selling or diminishing the value of $35 million of his assets.

The Freemans' lawyer, Katherine Ducey, said if units are still being sold, "we certainly don't want [the lawsuit or court order] to prejudice any of the sales of the unsold units."

She agreed it is a buyer-beware situation.

Ken Fraser of B.C.'s superintendent of real estate, which regulates the industry, said developers are required to amend disclosure statements if material changes are made.

"A lawsuit may affect the financial stability of the property," he said, adding it is up to buyers and their lawyers to check for liens.

Earlier this year, the superintendent scheduled a hearing into Chandler's developments after Vancouver condo marketing king Bob Rennie complained about improper disclosure statements on some of the same properties. That complaint came after a separate lawsuit from a former investor.

It was settled out of court and the superintendent's hearing was cancelled after Chandler agreed to amend the disclosure statements.

The Freemans' writ says Chandler told Ted Freeman in May 2004 he was expecting to make a $30-million profit on Homer and Helmcken and he needed an equity partner.

Freeman invested $12.3 million for a 40-per-cent interest and Susan Richards Investments made a $6-million investment.

Two years later, Freeman invested $4 million in another joint-venture partnership with Chandler for, in part, 50 per cent of a development on the yet-to-be-developed 1000-block Richards Street, on which Chandler said he expected to make a $40-million profit. SRI contributed about $2 million for the other half.

The lawsuit details other deals involving the Richmond Garden City project and the Eldorado property on Kingsway at the site of the Eldorado Hotel in Vancouver.

The writ alleges Chandler made the representations regarding the deals "knowing they were not true or were made recklessly."

It claims Chandler gave Freeman a written mortgage for $19 million registered against the Eldorado property that "was in fact a forgery and has never been registered against the Eldorado property."

It also alleges Chandler sold two Tribeca units to the Freemans for $800,000 but the title documents were forgeries.

The plaintiffs allege breach of contract, saying Chandler failed to provide accurate financial information and his representations were "designed to deceive."

The allegations have not been proven in court. Chandler has yet to file a statement of defence. Calls to his office weren't returned and yesterday an employee answering the phone said he had just stepped out.

slazaruk@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2007

excel
Oct 16, 2007, 10:38 PM
Not bad, will definitely stand out in that area.

squeezied
Oct 16, 2007, 11:42 PM
^What's tacky about it?

off the top of my mind, the round windows look a bit reminiscent to the circle from the regency in coquitlam.

vanman
Oct 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
^I like those windows, something a bit different. At least it doesn't have any faux crap attached to it.

SpongeG
Oct 17, 2007, 12:41 AM
Well the name of course. But usually names are all marketing, and not always representative of the location. :P I'm not familiar with the area, so what can I say?

currently the area is quite gross - old ugly low rises

anything is an improvement

jlousa
Oct 17, 2007, 1:20 AM
I'm in Regina all week so i can't look into it, but that is not a render for the hills. Things could've changed since I last saw it but that isn't even close. The presentation centre will be open in a couple of months, the strike slowed everything down. I do know the floorplans haven't been approved yet that's why the sales where delayed.

officedweller
Oct 17, 2007, 1:38 AM
Damn!
Better not be a westside wanna-be like King Edward Village.

CCF
Oct 17, 2007, 7:21 AM
I'm in Regina all week so i can't look into it, but that is not a render for the hills. Things could've changed since I last saw it but that isn't even close. The presentation centre will be open in a couple of months, the strike slowed everything down. I do know the floorplans haven't been approved yet that's why the sales where delayed.

I hope you are bringing an exciting development with you? ;)

jlousa
Oct 21, 2007, 3:26 AM
^^^^ I hope finally hearing something official on the Superstore site this week was good enough for you.

CCF
Nov 14, 2007, 11:40 PM
^^^^ I hope finally hearing something official on the Superstore site this week was good enough for you.

Yikes...I forgot all about this post!!

Certainly good news indeed...I suspect you had a hand in it somehow. I do wish/hope the design is more "urban" something that would be more pedestrian friendly....but I suspect from intitial reports that it will resemble a typical big box centre with free standing buildings surrounded by ample parking.

Anyword as to when we'll hear of the tenants? Some are new to Regina I've been told. Is there anywhere one could see some renderings of the site plan?

Don't get me wrong, it's great that this site is getting some use after sitting vacant for years....but I this is a huge parcel of land, in a very visible area of the city,....it could have truly been a spot for something truly great with a mixture of uses...something that would tie the Warehouse district to the city centre.

officedweller
Nov 15, 2007, 12:23 AM
Wrong thread?

The Hills is at Nainamo and Kingsway in Vancouver and proposed to have a couple of mid-rise towers and a Save-on-Foods grocery store.

jlousa
Nov 15, 2007, 12:40 AM
*l* this thread has gone way off topic.
Anyways in regards to the Superstore site in Regina, there will be alot more streetfront retail, a couple of new national chain restaurants, lots of office and commercial space in the existing space. I will certainly improve the area.

Back to the Hills, sales are now early 08 due to the civic strike.

hollywoodnorth
Feb 7, 2008, 12:11 AM
I still have yet to see a rendering of this entire project......anyone care to enlighten us? ;)

mr.x
Feb 7, 2008, 12:15 AM
look at the first post in this topic.

Yume-sama
Feb 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
I just don't see this building being very successful as an investor magnet.

Why, they may actually have to rely on LOCAL buyers!

vanlaw
Feb 7, 2008, 12:51 AM
There has to be more to this project than just the one tower in the first rendering. The lot is just too big to only have one tower. Perhaps 4 level lowrise in addition to tower?

hollywoodnorth
Feb 7, 2008, 1:13 AM
look at the first post in this topic.

A) there is more to the project than just 1 TOWER........

B) as I think jlousa said in another thread the image posted is not the final rendering of what is going to be built. He seemed to say that the image posted is way off what is now going forward......

mr.x
Feb 7, 2008, 1:24 AM
A) there is more to the project than just 1 TOWER........

B) as I think jlousa said in another thread the image posted is not the final rendering of what is going to be built. He seemed to say that the image posted is way off what is now going forward......

There's more than one tower? o_O And the city actually let this happen? Amazing.

hollywoodnorth
Feb 7, 2008, 1:45 AM
There's more than one tower? o_O And the city actually let this happen? Amazing.

I dont mean another tower you tower nut I mean the retail compnent and the mid rise + townhomes, etc

mr.x
Feb 7, 2008, 2:18 AM
I dont mean another tower you tower nut I mean the retail compnent and the mid rise + townhomes, etc

pfffft...those are nothing, the tower is everything.

jlousa
Feb 7, 2008, 4:36 AM
i've posted details on this one before, beleive in the general vancouver thread so someone can look it up. Off the top of my head I beleive it's a 22 storey tower on the corner, the city made them reduce the back tower from 15 down to 9 stories, mind you the front tower went from 17 to 22 to make up for it. The podium will be high at 7? stories, there will be townhouses on the back site, there will be a supermarket (originally Save-on foods, but with the rumour of a Save-ons opening at King Ed Village it could end up being a T&T that was originally scheduled for King Ed) there will also be a neighbourhood pub/cold beer wine store, a daycare and I think that's about it.

vanlaw
Feb 7, 2008, 4:31 PM
but with the rumour of a Save-ons opening at King Ed Village it could end up being a T&T

It is definitley a Save-On (or their new banner Price Smart) going in at KEV

jlousa
Aug 8, 2008, 6:01 PM
Forgot about this thread, anyways a quick update, no more Supermarket, but there will be a large format drug store, not sure who but there is already 2 london drugs close by. The project has been redesigned yet again, but it looks really good. Should it make it thru the UDP and DPB they expect to start construction in Jan/09. The latest info is available in the following link. Maybe someone can capture the renderings and post them for everyone to see.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/developmentservices/devapps/2300kingsway/index.htm

jlousa
Aug 14, 2008, 11:34 PM
Went by the presentation centre on my lunch hour, it's at georgia and Seymour in the bay parkage building which holborn also owns. Anyways it looks really good. The units themselves are all on the small side, and the finishes are very mid-range. Looking at the model though the project really comes together nicely and will be a great addition to that area.

squeezied
Aug 15, 2008, 6:22 AM
i dunno, judging by the renderings at the website (http://www.thehillsvancouver.ca/), im not so fond of the yellow and lime green blab. i could've easily mistaken it for a concord condo. i dont get whats the hype about gaudy colours. but i guess the building does suit the environs of colourful and flashy vancouver specials of baby blue, turquoise, barf tan, etc.:slob:

hollywoodnorth
Aug 15, 2008, 11:31 AM
I would love to see some planning studies or detailed info on the "Little Mountain Lands" that Holburn is also developing..........anyone able to help with a link?

hollywoodnorth
Aug 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
opps found it! >> http://www.littlemountainplan.ca/index.html

jlousa
Aug 15, 2008, 6:25 PM
Little mountain will be a bit away still, they will need to go thru quite a few steps to get everything approved I don't expect them to acutally start construction till late 2010.

As for the hills, completion is set for 2012, so 3.5yrs from now. The colours acutally come together pretty well, at least on the model. Stop by and take a look, now what they'll look like in real life we'll need to wait and see.

officedweller
Aug 15, 2008, 6:37 PM
Based on the site plan at the website - there's no second tower?
Just the "El Dorado" midrise slab and the "Beacon" tower?
It shows townhouses and a daycare to the south.

jlousa
Aug 15, 2008, 7:08 PM
Thats correct the second tower (7 storeys) will be a community garden for the time being, the tower will be built at a later date. I'm assuming they will be doing this to see if they can squeeze more height out of it at a later date.

officedweller
Aug 15, 2008, 8:01 PM
Thanks.
In massing, it's a bit like the corner part of the King Edward Village, just separate blocks.

Powell
Feb 4, 2009, 10:27 PM
Project Cancelled!

"Thank you for your interest in The Hills Vancouver, located at Kingsway and Nanaimo.

We have been informed by the developer that they will no longer be proceeding with this project as planned. "

giallo
Feb 5, 2009, 1:04 AM
And another one bites the dust...

:(

Yume-sama
Feb 5, 2009, 1:07 AM
This one was obvious from the beginning. The cancellation has nothing to do with the economy.

They were soooo slow doing anything, and it just wasn't that great of a project.

nova9
Feb 5, 2009, 7:02 AM
Too bad. I live in the area and wanted to see the Hills create a domino effect of more and more towers in my area.

I can just stare at KEV and hope.

duener
Feb 5, 2009, 8:52 AM
This one was obvious from the beginning. The cancellation has nothing to do with the economy.

They were soooo slow doing anything, and it just wasn't that great of a project.

This has everything to do with the economy. If people were lining up around the block to buy pre-sale condos like they were up until recently, I'm sure this would still be going ahead.

The fact is people aren't buying condo pre-sales any more. Even worse is that developers are now having to sue people who are trying to get out of their pre-sale condo contracts. It's an ugly situation and is only going to get worse. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=YL-JJGsg4Z0 for more info.

Yume-sama
Feb 5, 2009, 4:53 PM
They had been trying to sell these condos for over a year, I can't even remember when they first launched. It was a *long* time ago. They had their offices all set up on West Georgia street for at least a year, but from the start, nobody was buying. This was when people were still buying up everything. Looking through my records, they e-mailed me with the "opportunity to buy" on March 17th, 2007, nearly two years ago.

So, this project was doomed from the start.

vanlaw
Feb 5, 2009, 5:12 PM
:previous:

The sales centre was there and set up for quite a while, but I dont think it actually "opened" until early '08 due to the civic strike in summer '07. Although economy etc. takes most of the blame, perhaps it would have been different if they coulld have launched summer '07 had there not been the strike.

jlousa
Feb 6, 2009, 6:06 AM
That's correct the strike didn't help this project mind you neither did Chandler being involved nor Holborn. The units never even went on sale, previews started 08/08/08 but sales were supposed to start this spring.

LeftCoaster
Feb 6, 2009, 6:07 AM
Haha Chandler and Holborn? Wow now there's a winning combination!

hollywoodnorth
Feb 6, 2009, 6:34 AM
Haha Chandler and Holborn? Wow now there's a winning combination!

two wrongs don't make a right ;) :cheers:

Yume-sama
Feb 6, 2009, 8:04 AM
I stick with my thoughts on this project being doomed from the beginning, regardless of economy :P

It just seemed horribly mis-managed, and my vibe from 2 years ago was that it wouldn't work out.

duener
Feb 6, 2009, 9:26 AM
^^Fair enough... though I wonder how many well managed projects that are meant to go to pre-sales soon will get cancelled.

Dylan Leblanc
Apr 27, 2010, 2:57 AM
Another highrise for Kingsway. 2300 Kingsway is a 22 storey residential building proposed for the south-east corner of Kingsway and Nanaimo. This replaces the failed Hills development at this location. Wall Financial is the developer. The show suite is currently under-construction.

http://www.2300kingsway.com/

jlousa
Apr 27, 2010, 3:00 AM
This is just the revived Eldorado project which Holborn bailed on and is now going ahead with Wall Financial. Not sure if we ever had a dedicated thread for it though, so it's probably a good idea to start one as this is going forward very shortly.

Dylan Leblanc
Apr 27, 2010, 3:07 AM
There's a thread for the old proposal here - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139525

jlousa
Apr 27, 2010, 3:29 AM
Think it might be a good idea to merge this one with the original and rename it to suit the new name.

Dylan Leblanc
Apr 27, 2010, 4:33 AM
Naw, just leave the old thread alone.

Oh, too late.

alan
May 27, 2010, 6:36 PM
I drove by and its alive, the ad says its 180 unit high rise building.
22 floors?

privatejet
May 27, 2010, 8:01 PM
I have always been curious as to why Wall Financial is a public company; between the Walls, Bob Lee and Redekop they own nearly 90% of the stock. You will notice that Rennie's marketing for this one says "managed by Wall" as this particular project is being done by a Peter and Bruno Wall company and not Wall Financial. Any insights?

alan
May 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
here's the web site:

http://www.2300kingsway.com/plans.html

the pre-sales event is on May 29th.

jlousa
May 28, 2010, 12:36 AM
Sales have been going extremely rapid on this guy too, so good that I expect most choice units to be gone by the time it opens to the general public on saturday.

officedweller
May 28, 2010, 9:58 AM
here's the web site:

http://www.2300kingsway.com/plans.html

the pre-sales event is on May 29th.

Nice - I like it when the plans show the units in relation to the others on the floor.
You can tell if your bedroom will be against a noisy living room.

hanko
May 30, 2010, 3:36 AM
The development is virtually sold out. As of 2:45 pm today (Saturday 5/29), there were only 21 units left on building 1 and about the same for building 2. The remaining units are mostly sudio or 1 bed west facing.

SpongeG
May 30, 2010, 3:46 AM
will be nice to see more height along kingsway

jlousa
Oct 29, 2010, 2:10 AM
Demo started a while ago. Phase 2 sold out as well. I've updated the thread to Approved but will hold off on u/c until they actually start building.

entheosfog
May 10, 2011, 2:30 AM
This one hasn't had an update in a while so here's what's going on lately:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7478/dscn2092ui.jpg

They're still excavating but it's a pretty massive site.

jlousa
Jul 26, 2011, 3:55 AM
Excavation completed a while ago, they now have 3 cranes on site for this project. Sorry no pics.

twism
Jul 27, 2011, 5:35 AM
Here is a drive by pic taken Jul 24 with phone. Sorry for the low quality.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5980050223_94eb547c2b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/65680567@N04/5980050223/)

entheosfog
Sep 14, 2011, 2:14 AM
Been a while since there was an update pic on this one so here's this drive-by-er:
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1194/dscn2299e.jpg

entheosfog
Nov 9, 2011, 8:16 AM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/911/dscn2434mo.jpg

At the corner of Kingsway and Nanaimo:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8430/dscn2436e.jpg

officedweller
Nov 9, 2011, 11:00 PM
Whoa!
Thanks for posting - it's been a long time since I've driven down that way.

Looks great - much better than King Edward Village.

Chadillaccc
Nov 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
It's going up crazy fast!

entheosfog
Feb 7, 2012, 7:32 AM
A drive-by update while I was stopped at a light, so the photos aren't gonna be too spectacular....
This is the north tower:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2560/dscn2750m.jpg

The one behind it to the south:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6855/dscn2751.jpg

Eastern part of the site:
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/803/dscn2752a.jpg

officedweller
Oct 9, 2012, 6:22 PM
Pic of The Hills - Pics by me Sunday:

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/1446/img2012100800643.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/img2012100800643.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/7408/img2012100800641.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/img2012100800641.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Jebby
Oct 9, 2012, 6:37 PM
Wow that is big.

Klazu
Oct 9, 2012, 9:19 PM
I drive-by this building quite often and I think it looks decent. Definitely an improvement on that area! The views from the top floors towards Downtown must be great!

SpongeG
Oct 9, 2012, 9:25 PM
thats the old eldorado site right? kingsway confuses me...

jlousa
Oct 9, 2012, 9:39 PM
Yes the old Eldorado site. It'll soon be joined by a 12 storey tower at the old Wally's burger site and 3*14 storey towers at the Canadian Tire site. Are is going to change rapidly over the next 5yrs as developers are snapping up buildings to take advantage of the Norquay plan.

WarrenC12
Oct 9, 2012, 10:30 PM
Yes the old Eldorado site. It'll soon be joined by a 12 storey tower at the old Wally's burger site and 3*14 storey towers at the Canadian Tire site. Are is going to change rapidly over the next 5yrs as developers are snapping up buildings to take advantage of the Norquay plan.

That's crazy. Too bad they are all 1km+ from the Expo Line, along with King Ed Village. Oh well.

Millennium2002
Oct 9, 2012, 10:50 PM
The distance from the SkyTrain stations shouldn't be too bad as long as there's frequent service to the stations, which I think already does exist. Either that or a shuttle bus could work too if there's a need.

BodomReaper
Oct 10, 2012, 12:24 AM

A while ago I browsed through the floorplans of 2300 Kingsway, and was disappointed by the near-total absence of family-friendly units for such a large project. Is this what we can expect for most developments under the Norquay plan?

Millennium2002
Oct 10, 2012, 1:16 AM
Aren't a lot of developments in Vancouver like such already e.g. small units catered to working singles and couples without families looking for their first home + investors wanting to land a retirement residency spot?

If not, I'd be surprised, as I haven't heard of any single apartment complex of late that had 3 bedrooms units...

Klazu
Oct 10, 2012, 1:38 AM
I think the reason is that nobody can afford 3BR+ apartments in this town, so they don't even build those anymore. :(

jlousa
Oct 10, 2012, 3:21 AM
Take a look at the Canadian tire data I posted in it's thread, mostly family friendly units.:tup:

huenthar
Oct 10, 2012, 5:32 AM
The distance from the SkyTrain stations shouldn't be too bad as long as there's frequent service to the stations, which I think already does exist. Either that or a shuttle bus could work too if there's a need.

The #25 runs from the area up Nanaimo to the Skytrain station and is fairly frequent. I was living right behind this development a couple years ago and always wished they'd extend the trolley wires down Nanaimo and extend the #7 to Kingsway to help with tying in the area to the station.

BodomReaper
Oct 10, 2012, 5:50 AM
Aren't a lot of developments in Vancouver like such already e.g. small units catered to working singles and couples without families looking for their first home + investors wanting to land a retirement residency spot?

If not, I'd be surprised, as I haven't heard of any single apartment complex of late that had 3 bedrooms units...

I think the reason is that nobody can afford 3BR+ apartments in this town, so they don't even build those anymore. :(

In the context of Vancouver I consider any 2 bedroom unit over 800 sq. ft. to be family friendly. If we only considered 3 bedroom units, we'd pretty much only be considering penthouses... Which is why I'm frustrated when developments even in relatively "out of the way" locations such as this hardly even have any units over the modest 800 sq. ft. threshold!

However I'm pleased to confirm what jlousa said - looking at the floorplans for 2200 Kingsway was like brain bleach :slob:

Millennium2002
Oct 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
The #25 runs from the area up Nanaimo to the Skytrain station and is fairly frequent. I was living right behind this development a couple years ago and always wished they'd extend the trolley wires down Nanaimo and extend the #7 to Kingsway to help with tying in the area to the station.

Hrm... actually... yes... the 7 Nanaimo route could be extended down Nanaimo, then circulate around the block that 2300 Kingsway is located on (Nanaimo -> Kingsway -> Slocan -> 33rd -> Nanaimo).

Perhaps the only problem with that would be the same reason why a logical extension of the 16 Renfrew down Hastings to the PNE and to replace the route of the 4 Powell has never been considered...

jlousa
Mar 20, 2013, 5:41 AM
This project never received much attention while under construction. Walked thru it last weekend and for all intents it's now completed and some of the units have been occupied so I'm changing this one to complete. Anyone care to snap some pics of it? It turned out better then I expected at the ground level.

hollywoodnorth
Mar 20, 2013, 7:01 AM
the light feature on top is nice ... hope it says all lit up!

WarrenC12
Mar 20, 2013, 2:52 PM
This project never received much attention while under construction. Walked thru it last weekend and for all intents it's now completed and some of the units have been occupied so I'm changing this one to complete. Anyone care to snap some pics of it? It turned out better then I expected at the ground level.

Hopefully this will improve the area...