PDA

View Full Version : Transcontinental

Rusty Gull
Apr 26, 2010, 8:20 PM
Does anybody know why it is being gutted?

PaperTiger
Apr 26, 2010, 8:27 PM
Is it because the food sucked? I'm just saying...

trofirhen
Apr 26, 2010, 8:31 PM
Does anybody know why it is being gutted?

What is being gutted?

officedweller
Apr 26, 2010, 8:44 PM
I saw that yesterday too - I guess it has closed down?

whatnext
Apr 26, 2010, 9:50 PM

Along with the service.

Too bad, it was a cool space, but the owners didn't seem to know what they were trying to be.

djmk
Apr 26, 2010, 9:59 PM
Along with the service.

i had two pairs of friends wait for each other under the same reservation. first pair was seated upstairs and the 2nd pair came in 5min later and was sat downstairs. both parties were unaware that the hostess had split them up. they waited over an hour for each other to show up (with cell phones off i guess). finally somebody saw the other when one person had to go pee.

ouch

but was a cool spot. just make sure you keep your cell on.

PaperTiger
Apr 26, 2010, 10:15 PM
It was cool space, and probably will be again. I hope they don't take the train theme so literally next time. It is a little touristy/cheesy.

SpongeG
Apr 26, 2010, 10:39 PM
they need a family restaurant down there - something like east side marios or olive garden

NewfBC
Apr 26, 2010, 11:21 PM
they need a family restaurant down there - something like east side marios or olive garden

Gross! If you want something in that class, go a couple blocks east to Spaghetti Factory! :)

I vote for Swiss Chalet!

Ron.

Rusty Gull
Apr 27, 2010, 1:03 AM

It was basically Steamworks food, was it not? I thought the decor was quite eye-catching, fwiw.

jlousa
Apr 27, 2010, 3:16 AM
I was shocked to see the place completely gutted today, as the decor was definitely not the problem. It's kind of funny how every single persons opinion of the place is the same, food so-so if not mediocre and service absolutely terrible. There's lots of restaurants I never go back to but it's very rare for me to openly bad mouth anyplace, Transcontinental was one of the few I'd openly discourage people from going to after my terrible experience. Funny thing is I don't mind Steamworks, but I guess they didn't get the message you don't charge nice restaurant prices and then serve pub quality food with pub staff working on their days off and wonder why you don't get repeat clients.

That all said there's a sign on the back door stating they are renovating and would be reopen in May and to hit Steamworks in the meantime. Pretty sad as like I said the decor was great and it's the one thing that did not need changing.

SpongeG
Apr 27, 2010, 6:35 AM
Gross! If you want something in that class, go a couple blocks east to Spaghetti Factory! :)

I vote for Swiss Chalet!

Ron.

i'm thinking of tourists who just want simple food not meant for locals - i know travelling sometimes i just want crap food one day a step up from fast food an dnot something gourmet

one day in san fran we walked aroudn for abouit an hour trying to find a place to have breakfast finally found a crappy little hole in the wall and it wasn't that great dennys would have been so good that day

so I imagine a lot of family tourists here feel the same and want something more familiar - especially kids who can be fussy eaters - i remember a girl at work tehy went to the pan pacific for dinner one night when her daughter was like 4 - she 16 now - anyway its pretty fancy and she wanted a hot dog and the hot dog was $15!

BCPhil
Apr 27, 2010, 8:16 AM
That's a shame, I actually went there twice (during 2 dine outs) just because of the decor. The food was not worth full price, maybe that's where they should have started. I think it would be better if they had just gone a lot more casual as it's a great place for a quick meal or drink, not a formal business dinner. I think they were going for a Coal Harbor crowd in a public transit station, which on paper doesn't work in my head.

vancityrox
Apr 27, 2010, 8:55 AM
I miss Olive Garden. Love their food.

Is there only 1 in BC? I see that its in Langley.
Sounds far from Downtown where I am.

Rusty Gull
Apr 27, 2010, 2:49 PM
I miss Olive Garden. Love their food.

Is there only 1 in BC? I see that its in Langley.
Sounds far from Downtown where I am.

Yeah, Vancouver definitely could use an Olive Garden. Langley is too far to drive for lunch at the OG...

You know, the Transcontinental Room is the perfect size for another chain that is missing from this city (and that, again, only Langley lays claim to) ... Chuck E. Cheese.

Can you imagine? Or should I say... Do you believe?

phesto
Apr 27, 2010, 3:55 PM
I was shocked to see the place completely gutted today, as the decor was definitely not the problem. It's kind of funny how every single persons opinion of the place is the same, food so-so if not mediocre and service absolutely terrible. There's lots of restaurants I never go back to but it's very rare for me to openly bad mouth anyplace, Transcontinental was one of the few I'd openly discourage people from going to after my terrible experience. Funny thing is I don't mind Steamworks, but I guess they didn't get the message you don't charge nice restaurant prices and then serve pub quality food with pub staff working on their days off and wonder why you don't get repeat clients.

That all said there's a sign on the back door stating they are renovating and would be reopen in May and to hit Steamworks in the meantime. Pretty sad as like I said the decor was great and it's the one thing that did not need changing.

Apparently they will be renovating/reconfiguring to be more like Cactus & Joey's in terms of layout and decor...which sucks imo, but you can't blame them...

One of the problems with the service was they had difficulty retaining people. A lot of the staff was overflow from Steamworks who didn't really want to be there because it wasn't busy and people drank less (ie. less tips). It was kind of a negative cycle that was going to kill them eventually.

vancityrox
Apr 27, 2010, 6:43 PM
Yeah, Vancouver definitely could use an Olive Garden. Langley is too far to drive for lunch at the OG...

You know, the Transcontinental Room is the perfect size for another chain that is missing from this city (and that, again, only Langley lays claim to) ... Chuck E. Cheese.

Can you imagine? Or should I say... Do you believe?

I googled mapped it and it says it takes 48 minutes from Downtown to Langley. It doesn't seem so bad i guess. Anything fun to do in Langley? lol

Back home we used to road trip to Plattsburg NY (took an hour) and go eat at Red Lobster, Applebees and good ol' TGIF Fridays!

BCPhil
Apr 27, 2010, 7:13 PM
If you are looking for heaping amounts of decent tasting pasta may as well just go to Pasta Polo and save yourself 3 hours of waiting for a table. As well you'll avoid the spiked hair, spray on tan, Ed Hardy crowd. It's funny how Guido wannabes go to a wannabe Italian place.

If you are looking for something to do in the area, check out what's playing at the Imax in the Colossus, or do some big box shopping. I bought a new carpet in Langley once, good deals to be found on home furnishings and car parts in the area.

SpongeG
Apr 27, 2010, 7:52 PM
there is an east side marios at lonsdale quay - i found that out recently - lots of free salad and bread with your meal :P if u are hungry u can really fill up

jsbertram
Apr 27, 2010, 9:14 PM
It doesn't matter how nice the interior is. If all you're getting served is fancy Pub Grub by staff who wanna be working somewhere else, you're doomed to fail.

I was wondering if that space would be better used as a food court, and have the existing food stalls on the north side of the main hall moved in there (with room for a few more - Tims? Wendys? McDs? 7/11? Macs?

Then that space (the former food stalls) between the north side of the main hall and the original SkyTrain stairs/ elevator/ escalators can be opened up and made into a larger TVM area with easier (roomier) access to SkyTrain, WCE and Seabus.

ozonemania
Apr 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
The space is smack in the middle of a transit hub, I don't think a sit-down restaurant or a Family-style restaurant would do that well. Don't really want to see a food fair there either as there are a few within a few blocks.

What I'd like to see and think would do well there is a good, I mean real good, jewish deli. You know, bowls of kosher pickles, hefty helpings of tasty easy to eat deli food. Steaming piles of Montreal smoked meat or pastrami, chopped liver pate, on a good hearty rye bread. Schnizels, salmon lox, matzo balls, goulash, latke pancakes.... jeez I miss that food here.

There's a couple of delis in Manhatten I miss alot, and I remember having a killer meatball deli sandwich in Chicago. Dang, I'm drooling.

Great type of food for the business lunch crowd. I know there are some solid 'deli-style' cafes in Gastown and Yaletown, but they're not really what I'm thinking about.

Actually come to think of it, doesn't really need to be at the Transcontinental location. Just open one somewhere!

mezzanine
Apr 28, 2010, 3:49 PM
Funny, I never ate at the transcontinental, but the word-of-mouth is always the same. Even non-Foodie ppl I know disliked it.

The interior looked great though. too bad they are ripping that out, like we need more earls/cactus clones. As chains go they're ok, but they really not about the food. I was at the cactus club at bentall the other day and every nook and cranny, in the lounge and even in the dining area had a TV for the playoffs.

jlousa
Jul 16, 2010, 12:59 AM
I was reading the food critic in the Globe this morning talking about Rogue and it was identical to my experience I posted in the retail section. Well worth the read, I think we can start the countdown till the next version is revealed.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/pay-what-i-think-its-worth-i-might-get-money-back/article1639465/

Distill3d
Jul 16, 2010, 3:16 AM
I was reading the food critic in the Globe this morning talking about Rogue and it was identical to my experience I posted in the retail section. Well worth the read, I think we can start the countdown till the next version is revealed.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/pay-what-i-think-its-worth-i-might-get-money-back/article1639465/

Yeah, that about reflects my sentiments from that place. The service was awful and the food was shitty. Plus the concept isn't truly a pay what you think its worth concept, its a pay "within a certain range of what is deemed socially acceptable and if the manager agrees with what you have to say about the food and service, we may knock that off your bill" concept.