PDA

View Full Version : Northern New-Brunswick Construction Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

theshark
May 11, 2012, 3:17 PM
Prime Minister Stephen Harper will make an economic development announcement at the Edmundston campus of the University of Moncton on Friday.

Story on:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/05/11/nb-harper-edmundston-521.html

Should be, and is, the long awaited Northern Hardwood Research Institute.

theshark
May 25, 2012, 2:16 PM
Caribou mines has been sold again, but this times see's a better chance of re-opening. Trevalis resources bought the mine for the ore mill that it has, They are operating the halfmine mine between Bathurst and Miramichi so with the closure of the Brunswick, they had to find another place to process the ore.

The payroll center in Miramichi had started its operation, 145 persons work there as of now. It will eventually employ a total of 550. It is located in the miramichi mall for now.

And IPL plastics of Edmundston got a 3 million grant to developp a new plastic container that is aimed at replacing tin cans.These are to be produced at the Edmundston Plant.

theshark
Jul 3, 2012, 4:21 PM
Industrial rubber company in Big River near Bathurst is going to create about 35 new jobs, thanks to a partnership with a german company who won the bid to refurbish german military leopard 2 tanks, they will provide....as you guessed, rubber components.

theshark
Jul 24, 2012, 3:56 PM
Dalhousie -- Rumours are rampant again, this time from the mayor's office that a bio fuel plant is trying once again to set foot in Dalhousie. -- Same company that approached them in 2009 but failed to obtain certain certificates from the province to get the go ahead...we will wait and see.

Bathurst -- New National Bank bulding coming along on St-Peters, they destroyed and eyesore to build this so thumbs up!!

- New hotel and convention center downtown will be a 4 story high best werstern, construction is scheduled to begin in August.

- New construction near St-Hubert on St-Anne street, could be the long awaited subway that had been said of going in that area, from what geonb shows, 880 St anne would be about the good size for that (that would be the 5th property to go up on that street in the last 2 years)

Miramichi -- The Arbec Forest product plant is back in action and trucks loaded with wood are pulling in the yard. That is the old Weyerhaeuser plant that shut down about 5 years ago.

theshark
Jul 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
Well finally decided to get a photo hosting account, so here are my few first pictures of Bathurst

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=dscn4957w.jpg&res=landing
New Ford dealership on St-Anne st.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg593/scaled.php?server=593&filename=dscn4958v.jpg&res=landing
New Dentist and co-operators office on St-Anne st.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg171/scaled.php?server=171&filename=dscn4959d.jpg&res=landing
New Medical office on St-Anne st.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg444/scaled.php?server=444&filename=dscn4960e.jpg&res=landing
Suway restaurant in construction on St-Anne st.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg43/scaled.php?server=43&filename=dscn4961z.jpg&res=landing
St-Hubert Express on St-Anne st.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg228/scaled.php?server=228&filename=dscn4962b.jpg&res=landing
New National Bank building

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg407/scaled.php?server=407&filename=dscn4963g.jpg&res=landing
Site of the future Best Western and convention center( it will not take the whole lot)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg853/scaled.php?server=853&filename=dscn4964no.jpg&res=landing
Veterans bridge from observation tower

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg545/scaled.php?server=545&filename=dscn4966g.jpg&res=landing
Downtown from Observation tower

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg507/scaled.php?server=507&filename=dscn4971p.jpg&res=landing
Promenade waterfront

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg402/scaled.php?server=402&filename=dscn4973v.jpg&res=landing
Chateau Bathurst before conversion begins

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg802/scaled.php?server=802&filename=dscn4975n.jpg&res=landing
Downtown

Well should me more colour on the page in the future, hope you enjoy!

D3nZ
Aug 2, 2012, 5:01 PM
haha they drive up and down and park and talk.

On another note, here is what the new Armoury will look like In Edmundston:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/atlantique/2012/02/20/005-annonce-manege-militaire-edmundston.shtml

I suspect it will only be the entry for a super secret facility under the mountain! :haha:

And the Grey Rock Power Center (located besides the Edmundston Hospital and the TCH) is taking form, the truck stop is already in construction and slated to open this summer and the reserve has hired a consultant to find tennants, mostly aiming at stores that are not in the region already. About 20 lots are available.

Well, I am back after being gone for a while. For the Grey Rock Power Center, they have brought in the firm Cushman & Wakefield, you guys may also know them from previous projects as the Moncton Power Center. Kinda gives an idea on who they want to bring in as tenants by the previous projects that C&W have done elsewhere.

theshark
Aug 4, 2012, 1:20 AM
HHaaaa D3nZ! Glad to see that you are back, at least that makes two of us covering the north, I wont feel so alone hahaha, anything new in the Capitale de la republique?? heading there to visit the parents in the next few weeks.

D3nZ
Aug 4, 2012, 10:47 PM
Not a whole lot no. I was at the new sacred land earlyer for the unveiling of the new Malicite sacred land. Very nice place along the Saint John River. The Midas building on Victoria Street was recently bought and I had seen postings on Career Beacon that they were looking to come back in the Edmundston Region.

Lots going on for the Foire Brayonne but unfortunately that festival has lost it's spark over the past 10 years. They should totally re-think of the concept of the Foire. I would personally have it a 3 day (not a 5 day) event to make the most out of their money. Unless it's a big city like Montreal, Québec or Toronto you can't have successful 5 day events there days. When you think that they used to have big artists in the 80's and now they can barely have a decent artist to perform there, it's not a good sign. Either you are spending your money elsewhere, or you are getting ripped off by the artists. (P.S. I am positive it's the first choice.) There is too much stuff going on at the same time everywhere in the city. You need to have one event in a central area and you have to try to bring everyone there at the same time, not have everyone spread out around the city.

theshark
Aug 13, 2012, 5:19 PM
Good to hear for Midas,they are trying a come back all over the province, at least the two garages on that part of Victoria where picked up for something, is go glass still running??

Yes the fameuse foire. I agree it lost steam in the last few years but would not necessarely cut it down to 3 days. by having more days, it leaves a little bit more place for the local and regional artists to make theire stints. The thing with the big concert in the 80's is that the on price all access pass was not there, I remember you could buy tickets for the show you wanted or the whole ticket book for all the shows but each show was individually priced. And the artists where not as greedy as some are today. Most of the artists for the big shows are not playing for under $25 000 for the night.

The thing where I saw they missed the boat was when they had Collective Soul last year, or the year before. Ok maybe they are not as mainstream today as they used to be in the previous years but still its a big name. The artists are anounced in the spring usually....and I only heard commercials about it in July in the Bathurst region, at this time, most of the peoples summer are already planned. And of course, they did not have the turn out that they expected.

If you are going to get a band like that....Promote it!! not 1 month before the show, as soon as you know they are comming. These guys have fans that will travel to see them, but if you can't reach them, they will not come. Maritimes, eastern quebec and the state of maine should have been targetted more IMO.

On other things, another empty spot found a taker in the Bathurst Mall, Le Grenier, womens clothing is presently in construction and looking for employees, they took the empty spot next to Zellers, the future big empty spot. Management of the mall said they have talks with potential tennants to take the zellers space and some would already be lined up but no words on who.

What is going on with the mall in St-Basile... seems like they where going good for a time and now, from what I can see on the Rio Can website, they back at what they used to be 15 years ago, almost empty! Loosing Zellers is going to be a big hit for them.

D3nZ
Aug 18, 2012, 1:19 AM
Well it looks like Parent Tire Sales bought the old Midas building. I've seen their trucks there the last couple of days but I am not sure what they are gonna do there. The St-Basile Mall is pretty dull now and the main tenant will be Staples since Zellers will probably be closing before the end of next year and Staples are more and more moving into single building stores and are less and less attached stores. I would not be surprised if the place would be closed off in a couple if years and I would not be surprised if Staples would move to the Grey Rock Power Centre. I have not heard anything about what other stores will go to the Grey Rock Power Centre, but I have heard everything from of a Burger King, a hotel, a car dealership, a hardware store and also rumours of a Costco. But I also heard that there are talks of building a Costco in either Rivière-Du-Loup or Rimouski.

theshark
Aug 24, 2012, 3:05 AM
Yeah Costco is pretty much a rumour in every town around this area...I don't see one happening soon, they just opened 2 new locations and they are going to wait to see the numbers for a few years before going ahead with more, I don't remember where but I have heard of a new concept for Costco for smaller areas, a smaller Costco.

Yeah the grey rock!, good emplacement, just hope they will wait to find tennants before building the stores. Would not send a good signal passing by and seeing 15 empty storefront....

Rio Can has been the worst news ever for the rural area shopping malls. Look at the Madawaska center, they demolished their property near Bathurst since there was no more tennants, the Miramichi location does not look better either...Just wondering what the hell are they thinking. Other malls are just fine but all the ones they touched...

Does anyone know what has been built behind the Wal Mart in Miramichi??

theshark
Aug 24, 2012, 3:06 AM
Ho and also heard from my Parents of a St-Hubert Express for Edmundston, have you heard anything about that?

D3nZ
Aug 24, 2012, 9:21 PM
I have heard rumors of a St-Hubert Express (I would really like that), but nothing official so far. Heard of them going to Grey Rock, but like I said, I think everything had been brought up as a possibility for that Power Center.

theshark
Aug 25, 2012, 3:20 PM
If you look in the Info week end, the owner of the new Shell Big Stop in Grey Rock speaks of a popular chain of restaurant in Quebec that she will add to the big stop, but does not want to disclose anything until finalise, talking about a new addition to the region, might just be it!

Link to the online paper here, its on page 4 and 5.
http://www.infodimanche.com/journaux/vol14no34iw/index.html#/6/zoomed

theshark
Sep 4, 2012, 3:17 PM
Well conventions will return in Edmundston, a group of local business people bought the Clarion hotel, it will temporary be rebranded back to le Chateau Edmundston until renovations of the order of 2.5 millions are done to the whole hotel and restaurant, then it will start its new journey as a four points by Sheraton and it will take care of the running of the convention center.

MonctonRad
Sep 4, 2012, 3:48 PM
:previous:

Really; a Sheraton branded hotel for Edmundston...thats certainly good news!

Good stuff!! :tup:

theshark
Sep 17, 2012, 4:18 PM
:previous: Indeed, was surprised when I heard the new branding of the hotel!

On other news, looks like things are becoming more and more concrete towards a St-Hubert Express in the Grey Rock Power Center, (D3nZ you won't have to go to R-D-L anymore to get a nice quarter chicken!!)

Facilicorp NB wich takes care of over the phone tech support for New-Brunswick hospitals is consolidating its operation in Edmundston. They say this way every hospital will have a 24/h tech support available. About 20 positions will be relocated to Edmundston in the next 2 years.

And Construction is slated to start on the Best Western in downtown Bathurst next month.

theshark
Sep 21, 2012, 3:45 PM
Bldv Hebert in Edmundston will eventually meet the power road near where the new JODIN residences will be built, the developpment of the road is made to Facilitate the commercial and residencial developpment in the area. An information session will be held on the 16th of october.

D3nZ
Oct 4, 2012, 10:41 PM
:previous: Indeed, was surprised when I heard the new branding of the hotel!

On other news, looks like things are becoming more and more concrete towards a St-Hubert Express in the Grey Rock Power Center, (D3nZ you won't have to go to R-D-L anymore to get a nice quarter chicken!!)

Facilicorp NB wich takes care of over the phone tech support for New-Brunswick hospitals is consolidating its operation in Edmundston. They say this way every hospital will have a 24/h tech support available. About 20 positions will be relocated to Edmundston in the next 2 years.

And Construction is slated to start on the Best Western in downtown Bathurst next month.

Very good new indeed, I do like my St-Hubert chicken! As for Grey Rock, apparently they are having discussions with over 50 possible stores.

theshark
Oct 5, 2012, 4:19 PM
wow 50 stores!?!?, I hope theese are new ones and not just relocations..any speculations going around on store names other than Costco?? haha..

There should be a 20 000 square foot entertaiment venue built on the site also according to the Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic website...Can't wait to see who will set up shop there..

D3nZ
Oct 6, 2012, 11:12 PM
I've heard nothing so far on who could set up shop there. All I know is that the land is huge and you just never know.

D3nZ
Oct 7, 2012, 1:36 PM
http://www.kamcoinc.com/index.php

Here you can see a small picture of the inside of the new indoor stadium in Edmundston. Project is scheduled to be finished in early 2013. The exterior is mostly done, maybe a little aesthetics to finish things and the interior looks very bright with the windows. Can't wait to see the thing when it's finished. I also found the link to the contract between the city of Edmundston and Roy Consultant enumerating every single thing in the building. You can see what kind of floors they will be using and also present an alternative. Very interesting.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CFcQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdevwebsbn.cloudapp.net%2FDownloadFile.aspx%3Fc%3DMjkwMTI5Mi4zNTMxMi4zMDI%3D%26n%3DPavillon_Sportif_Retender_Specs_1_of__2.pdf&ei=8YRxUPiqAarg0gG-24DABQ&usg=AFQjCNEoUh5KRipwg73QtICZoz6b5LyT1Q

theshark
Oct 16, 2012, 1:22 AM
:previous: wow, ya full details, gonna be nice when done!

Just saw in the meeting minutes of the 21st of august a transfer of land to Action plus Inc(could not find anything online) on Boyd st in the industrial parc, anyting going on over there? Seems like a long time since something was built there.

D3nZ
Oct 19, 2012, 8:30 PM
Nothing that I've heard of. The city needs a new big employer, soon.

D3nZ
Oct 27, 2012, 8:27 PM
Apparently not only the Grey Rock Power Centre is getting a St-Hubert, but apparently it's won't be an Express but a regular like the one in Moncton, Rivière-du-Loup and Rimouski. There was one a while back in Edmundston (where the Videotron is currently), but closed down after one year of operation.

theshark
Oct 29, 2012, 1:43 PM
Yes I remember!! poor poor management, used to go with my parents quite often back in the days and I don't think we ever got served by the same waitress twice, food was just ok, the inside booths looked like office cubicules, was it was not the most appealing restaurant back then lookwise.

With the new concepts more strict on the way the restaurant looks, it should be wayyyyy better that it was back in the day.

D3nZ
Oct 29, 2012, 7:41 PM
Yeah, I remember the cubicles also. Very bad management indeed. It felt more like an office than a restaurant.

JHikka
Nov 2, 2012, 6:26 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/11/02/nb-miramichi-mill-reopen-arbec.html

A mill in Miramichi officially reopened on Friday after being closed for almost six years.

The mill is expected to reach full operation by the spring of 2013, officials have said.

Jeff MacTavish, director of economic development for the City of Miramichi, told CBC News 110 mill workers are already back on the job, along with another estimated 200 people in the northern community.

KnoxfordGuy
Nov 2, 2012, 8:29 PM
:previous: That is the best news ive heard in a very long while for northern New Brunswick! yay!!!!!! :cheers:

D3nZ
Nov 2, 2012, 10:42 PM
New french call centre could open in Edmundston, 100 jobs could be created.

theshark
Nov 2, 2012, 11:47 PM
And 3 Bathurst calls center looking to hire a bunch IMP(8) Minacs(15) and TNA(25), almost erasing the void left by the VAS closure.

It`s not always bad news in the North!!!

The Miramichi region with 310 direct and indirect with the mill, and 550 direct with the payroll center and an unknown amount of indirect jobs, we are looking at close if not over 900 jobs in the next few years.

And good news for the capitale de la republique! If the recruitment goes well, I think it would be a go for sure, just wonder where they will establish themselves. If you count these and the 100 more or less in the Grey rock, you are looking at close to 200 jobs in the immediate future, and more possible.

MonctonRad
Nov 3, 2012, 3:33 AM

Good stuff!

I'm all for growth in the south, but not at the expense of the north. The northern part of NB has to redouble it's efforts at job growth in order to keep your young people at home.

D3nZ
Nov 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
I forgot to say that the first building on Grey Rock is not open. The Shell gas station is now operational.

JohnQCandNB
Nov 7, 2012, 4:01 PM
Nice news in the North :)

Good for the call center and the mill in Miramichi.

Government has put some $$$ for an relocalised exit on the highway 11 for the Rivière a la Truite street in Tracadie-Sheila, they will put circulation lights.

All this for the new Tracadie-Sheila comercial developpement in this sector.

the mayor Losier, told he has signed an document in the last days that he cannot tell name of a big chain that will come to that new development land.

There's 3 big names rumourous and Losier said it will be between Target, Walmart and Costco.

I thing it's gonna be Target!

Sorry for my english im not the best.

JHikka
Nov 7, 2012, 4:33 PM
Welcome to the forum John! You're more than welcome to post in French in this thread if you'd like...at least a few of us can read it :tup:

D3nZ
Nov 8, 2012, 2:06 AM
Nice news in the North :)

Good for the call center and the mill in Miramichi.

Government has put some $$$ for an relocalised exit on the highway 11 for the Rivière a la Truite street in Tracadie-Sheila, they will put circulation lights.

All this for the new Tracadie-Sheila comercial developpement in this sector.

the mayor Losier, told he has signed an document in the last days that he cannot tell name of a big chain that will come to that new development land.

There's 3 big names rumourous and Losier said it will be between Target, Walmart and Costco.

Sorry for my english im not the best.

Je serais très surprit de voir Costco s'installer à Tracadie. Oui, c'est le centre commercial de la Péninsule Acadienne, mais encore trop petit comme population pour avoir un commerce de la sorte. J'ose plus pencher pour WalMart.

NBNYer
Nov 8, 2012, 2:30 AM

The only one of those three even remotely possible is Walmart.

Au Canada, Target s'installera dans les anciens Zellers. Celui de Bathurst ne sera pas converti, donc évidemment pas de nouvel emplacement à Tracadie. Si Target serait intéressé à s'installer au nord du NB, le choix logique serait Bathurst.

En ce qui concerne Costco, pas de chance non plus. Costco requiert un centre de population beaucoup plus grand que Tracadie. Même Saint-Jean et Fredericton on seulement récemment eu les leurs.

MonctonRad
Nov 8, 2012, 2:37 AM

Oui je d'accord.

Wal-mart c'est le seulement possibilite.

Welcome to the forums John, rest assured, my French is a lot worse than your English. :)

JHikka
Nov 8, 2012, 2:52 AM
Au Canada, Target s'installera dans les anciens Zellers. Celui de Bathurst ne sera pas converti, donc évidemment pas de nouvel emplacement à Tracadie. Si Target serait intéressé à s'installer au nord du NB, le choix logique serait Bathurst.

Pourquoi Bathurst au lieu de Miramichi ou à Edmundston? Juste parce que il y a beaucoups des personnes dans la Péninsule-Acadienne? Y at-il des plans pour un Target à Edmundston?

NBNYer
Nov 8, 2012, 3:09 AM
Pourquoi Bathurst au lieu de Miramichi ou à Edmundston? Juste parce que il y a beaucoups des personnes dans la Péninsule-Acadienne? Y at-il des plans pour un Target à Edmundston?

Effectivement, Miramichi serait aussi une autre possibilité pour le nord-est. Mon point était que, si Target était intéressé, ils opteraient pour s'installer dans un ancien Zellers et non pas pour la construction d'une nouvelle structure à Tracadie.

Je doute qu'on verra un Target à Edmunston. Si je me souviens bien, pour le NB, Target planifie un magasin à Moncton et Frederiction et possiblement 2 à SJ.

theshark
Nov 8, 2012, 10:49 AM
Non il n'y aura pas de Target a Bathurst, Campbellton, Miramichi ou Edmundston. Les Magasins Zellers sont tous en voie de fermeture prochaine et la chaine HBC qui avait laisser presager qu'ils auraient pu etre convertis en Home Outfiters ont ete dementies dernierement.

Pour moi aussi le choix logique pour Tracadie serait Wal Mart, c'est le seul des trois que l'on voit dans de si petit marcher. Aussi dans ce Parc Commerciale, Alcohol NB vas ouvrir une nouvelle succursale.

Bonne nouvelle pour Bathurst, L'hotel du centre ville devrait etre en construction a partire de ce matin, un 4 etages de plus pour le centre ville.

La vente de la Mine Caribou non loin be Bathurst vient d'etre finaliser, Trevalis resources espere ainsis cree 150 emplois et a long terme sur l'ensemble de ses 2 site 500.

KnoxfordGuy
Nov 8, 2012, 3:22 PM
Hmmmm...don't understand any of this. I'm from western New Brunswick people and am living in Fredericton. My French is slim to none. English and French perhaps?

MonctonRad
Nov 8, 2012, 3:41 PM

Capsule summary. Everyone agrees that if there is a new department store going into Tracadie-Sheila. the only logical choice would be Wal Mart.

If Target were to build a location in the north, the logical place would be Bathurst because this would be a reasonable base to support the Acadian Peninsula. :)

JohnQCandNB
Nov 8, 2012, 4:52 PM
Le choix logique selon moi serais un Target a Tracadie-Sheila.

Wal-Mart est bien implanté a Bathurst et Miramichi.

Le maire de la ville de Tracadie-Sheila a même signé un document officiel comme quoi il a pas le droit de nommer le nom du commerce qui va s'installer a Tracadie-Sheila et ce parmi les 3 choix suivants ( Costco, Wal-Mart et Target).

Pour moi Wal-Mart s'installera pas a Tracadie la raison il en a un a Miramichi et Bathurst, on se dois d'avoir quelque chose de différent.

Costco je vois pas du tous ce gros noms s'installer a Tracadie-Sheila, on a pas la population pour ce business.

Costco va annoncer prochainement qu'il vont s'implanter sois a Rivière-du-Loup ou Rimouski.

JHikka
Nov 8, 2012, 5:35 PM
Hmmmm...don't understand any of this. I'm from western New Brunswick people and am living in Fredericton. My French is slim to none. English and French perhaps?

Google Translate is your friend. :tup:

theshark
Nov 9, 2012, 12:43 AM
Sorry John mais je vois pas Target aller s'implanter a Tracadie non plus. Target est encore trop jeune au Canada pour se risquer dans de petit marcher. Ils ont seulement garder les Zellers dans les plus grands centre pour faire certain qu'il marche car ces gars la doivent faire leurs devoirs sur le marcher Canadien et comprendre nos habitude d'achat. Eventuellement peut etre mais pas prochainement.

Coscto est la rumeur dans toute les villes et villages....Si on ecoute le monde, ils ont achetter un terrain dans toute les villes. Je crois que meme pour Rimouski et R-D-L sa vas sur le back burner, ils en contruivent 1 sur la rive sud de Quebec et ils vont attendre apres.

Sa fait que je voit juste Wal Mart. Signer des documents de confidentialite c'est dans leur pratique, En plus que leur jet priver etait dans la region y'a pas si longtemps....c'est pas des concierge qui se promene la dedans ;)

So in a readers digest version, Target no, to young north of the border and they are targetting larger areas to be sur they will survive.

Costco, if you listen to everyone, they have a piece of land in each city and village to build the next Costco, I don't see it happeneing.

The Wal Mart plane was in town not to long ago and i'm certain the janitors don't get to use that plane.

NBNYer
Nov 9, 2012, 1:09 AM
Sorry John mais je vois pas Target aller s'implanter a Tracadie non plus. Target est encore trop jeune au Canada pour se risquer dans de petit marcher. Ils ont seulement garder les Zellers dans les plus grands centre pour faire certain qu'il marche car ces gars la doivent faire leurs devoirs sur le marcher Canadien et comprendre nos habitude d'achat. Eventuellement peut etre mais pas prochainement.

Coscto est la rumeur dans toute les villes et villages....Si on ecoute le monde, ils ont achetter un terrain dans toute les villes. Je crois que meme pour Rimouski et R-D-L sa vas sur le back burner, ils en contruivent 1 sur la rive sud de Quebec et ils vont attendre apres.

En plein ça! Je n'ai aucun doute qu'il ne s'agit pas de Target ou Costco pour les mêmes raisons.

theshark
Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hey D3nZ, as tu deja entendu parler de sa??? Trouver sa sur le site Edmundston en Ligne, premiere fois que j'entend parler du site aussi.

D3nZ
Nov 27, 2012, 11:29 PM
Concernant Costco?

theshark
Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
non pour une microbrasserie en ville?? rien de nouveau venant du Grey Rock non plus??

D3nZ
Nov 28, 2012, 1:13 AM
Ahh! Oui, l'idée a été lancée il y a quelques semaines. N'importe qui pourrait avoir des actions dans la compagnie. Je dois dire que l'idée est excellente. J'ai même eux des discussions avec des amis dernièrement de la possibilité d'avoir un bar style Pump House dans le Centre Ville ici. Mais c'est juste un rêve lointain.

Concernant Grey Rock j'ai eu la confirmation du St-Hubert d'une très bonne source, mais je sais pas encore si c'est un Express ou Régulier. Fait cocasse: En m'amusant avec mon iPhone j'ai constaté que Siri dit qu'il y a un St-Hubert à Edmundston sur la Rue Hubert, mais en effectuant une petite recherche, c'est le St-Hubert de St-Jean qui est sur la rue Hubert.

Considérant que le promoteur du site discute avec plus de 50 commerces différents, les rumeurs circulent pour Costco (duh!). La proximité avec Rivière-du-Loup, Grand-Sault et les USA, la proximité de l'autoroute et le taux de taxation sur la réserve rend le site très intéressant pour eux. J'ose croire que Costco va aussi constater que la grande majorité des gens dans la région ont une carte de membre. J'ai la mienne et je demeure à 2h45 du plus près (celui de Fredericton). 100 000 dans un rayon d'une heure est quelque chose qui attire.

Autre que ça, rien de nouveau autre que le stade intérieur va ouvrir ses portes prochainement ainsi que le centre culturel (la petite église). Le stade aura une surface multifonctionnelle du style caoutchouc et non éponge comme au CEPS. La petite église aura une salle de spectacle comparable à celle retrouvée dans le centre des arts de Dieppe.

theshark
Nov 28, 2012, 1:58 AM
:haha: encore plus cocasse, mes parents reste sur la rue Hubert et mon pere a souvent dit que pas avoir eu son autre business quand il etait plus jeune il en aurais ouvert un! lol

Hate de voir ce que le Grey Rock vas donner, le promoteur du site a un bonne fiche sur des gros projet donc sa devrait etre promettant

D3nZ
Nov 30, 2012, 7:25 PM
L'une des enseignes le plus grosses dans l'est du Canada a été installée à Edmundston sur le Grey Rock Power Centre. J'ai bien hâte de voir les noms des nouveaux commerces qui vont s'y ajouter.

http://www.edmundstonenligne.ca/le-temps/item/a-la-hauteur-des-attentes

theshark
Dec 14, 2012, 1:06 PM
Well news from the north.

New Subway on St-Anne st in Bathurst is now open, starting to have some good traffic on that road now.

Hotel in Downtown Bathurst has broken ground. Excavation an foundation work.

And with the announce on the grant that the province gave the Grey Rock power center, It was announced that discution is ongoing with 4 possible tennants on the site!

D3nZ
Dec 16, 2012, 1:03 PM
I will have less and less news about what is going on here in Edmundston. I am moving to Fredericton in about a month for a news job.

Mattyyy
Jan 17, 2013, 12:48 PM
The site for the construction of the new Federal Payroll Center in Miramichi has finally been selected. It will be constructed in Chatham on the Exhibition grounds property, and will house 550 employees when completed. Construction is expected to begin in 2014.

From T & T - January 16th

The landscape in the former town of Chatham, and by extension the entire city, is about to change drastically. By the time it’s all said and done, the once-vacant swath of land positioned at the southern tip of the Miramichi Agricultural Exhibition Centre, wedged between University Avenue and St. Thomas and John Streets, will be home to a gleaming, energy-efficient office complex surrounded by lush greenery and serene walking trails in a setting that will be more park-like than big-business.

A total of 550 people, at least, are still on track to be clocking into the new pay centre building by 2015-16, part of the federal government’s ongoing realignment of its payroll and compensation services, all of which will be handled by employees based in Miramichi.

theshark
Jan 18, 2013, 12:41 AM
That will be good for the Chi!!!

D3nZ, I hope the moving went well!

theshark
Jan 24, 2013, 3:19 PM
Naval construction in Bas Caraquet is looking to be a reality more than a dream. Financing has been secured for the refurbishment of worksite 1 and 2 companies have already manifested theire intentions of setting up shop there to build fishing vessels.

Naval construction could begun as early as the end of spring

theshark
Jan 25, 2013, 6:44 PM
Cormer defence will set up shop for refurbishment of military vehicles in Miramichi 80 jobs to be created.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/01/25/nb-cormer-defense-jobs.html

JHikka
Jan 25, 2013, 7:11 PM
Good to see the province and ACOA putting some money into the Miramichi area. With 80 jobs with Cormer, 550 with the payroll...wasn't there another employer opening/reopening in that area as well? 630+ jobs surely must be a good thing for that part of the province.

theshark
Jan 25, 2013, 7:35 PM
yes 110 or so with Arbec ( the old Weyerhaeuser) which has re-opened, There was also an article on the train services which was on CBC NB this morning but has now disseapeared that was talking about another sawmill re-opening (Newcastle Lumber I believe) in the next year or so...

So in all, if you count support jobs and other jobs that will be a spinoff to these jobs creation, might be close to 900 jobs in the next few years for the Miramichi area.

MonctonRad
Jan 25, 2013, 7:41 PM
So in all, if you count support jobs and other jobs that will be a spinoff to these jobs creation, might be close to 900 jobs in the next few years for the Miramichi area.

Excellent news, and when you add in the multiplier effect (2-3x), this becomes really big in a community of 20,000 or so! :tup:

theshark
Jan 25, 2013, 8:03 PM
It will have an impact on all of north eastern NB, lots of people travel between Bathurst, Caraquet, Tracadie and Miramichi to go to work so it will be good all around!

David1gray
Jan 25, 2013, 8:20 PM
From what I understand the railway service was in question this morning because CN reportedly began pulling up the tracks to the Sawmill and the Miramichi Port. Someone stepped in and managed to get the work to stop so, the rail remains for now.

drumm3r
Feb 12, 2013, 7:36 PM
I guess Kent bought Rona in Pont-Landry or something. I drove by the other day and it's a Kent store now. I don't know if they're gonna keep that building or move to Tracadie in a bigger store, it's kind of out of the city in my opinion.

I also heard Costco is going to Tracadie, lots of people are talking about it but I can't see it. I think it's gonna be a Wal-Mart like a lot of you were saying above.

Nobody knows what's going to replace zellers in Bathurst and Miramichi yet?

theshark
Feb 13, 2013, 3:07 AM
Haaa the regional gossip on Costco !! :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure Costco would like to set up shop in a protest prone area ;)

For the Miramichi mall, I don't know, that is going to be an extremely sad place once Zellers closes.

As for the one in Bathurst, Athletes world is shutting down, which is right next to zellers, which would lead to believe that a SportCheck could take place.

The administration is saying that some existing tennants want to relocate to a larger spot in the mall and some possible new tennants have been inquiering about setting up shop at the mall. I've hear Garage, La Senza and some other known clothing store that I just can't recall at the moment but nothing has been confirmed and so far I think it is just wishfull thinking.

I strongly doubt that they will rent the space as one unit, they will most likely divide it in smaller units.

NBNYer
Feb 13, 2013, 1:15 PM
Haaa the regional gossip on Costco !! :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure Costco would like to set up shop in a protest prone area ;)

Still no announcement for that mysterie Tracadie store? I can't see it being anything else than Wal-Mart.

As for the one in Bathurst, Athletes world is shutting down, which is right next to zellers, which would lead to believe that a SportCheck could take place.

The administration is saying that some existing tennants want to relocate to a larger spot in the mall and some possible new tennants have been inquiering about setting up shop at the mall. I've hear Garage, La Senza and some other known clothing store that I just can't recall at the moment but nothing has been confirmed and so far I think it is just wishfull thinking.

I strongly doubt that they will rent the space as one unit, they will most likely divide it in smaller units.

I think you're right about the former Zellers space. With Wal-Mart and Sears already in town, I really can't think of any other large surface store that would set up shop in that space. They'll likely divide it up and lease them separately. Hopefully it'll still be retail and not some call centre... sounds familiar? :uhh: The initial decline of Chaleur Centre.

SportCheck typically has larger stores than Athletes World. The recent failure of AW is not the greatest confidence booster for SC to open a store in the same spot, unless they have a smaller store format I don't know about.

theshark
Mar 27, 2013, 6:23 PM
Some news for Edmundston,

There is interest from a Montreal company in the old restaurants Bel Air and Seafood paradise, unknown what the name of the company is but they are looking at restarting the restaurant.

Also the zoning request for the old Pattison sign building atop 44th anvenue has passed, Apparently some investor have bought the building and some tennants would be lined up but zonage needed to be changed in order for things to go further. No idea of whom will set up shop there.

Glad to see that all tho some people had the NIMBY attitude, the change went forward

theshark
Apr 11, 2013, 4:21 PM
Maritime bus will be opening a Campbellton-Moncton route with stop in Bathurst in May. It will run for a certain amount of time to see if the company can generate some revenue from the route.

D3nZ
Apr 13, 2013, 2:55 PM
Some news for Edmundston,

There is interest from a Montreal company in the old restaurants Bel Air and Seafood paradise, unknown what the name of the company is but they are looking at restarting the restaurant.

Also the zoning request for the old Pattison sign building atop 44th anvenue has passed, Apparently some investor have bought the building and some tennants would be lined up but zonage needed to be changed in order for things to go further. No idea of whom will set up shop there.

Glad to see that all tho some people had the NIMBY attitude, the change went forward

I think Valentine or Chez Ashton had given interest before the restaurant was bought by the Chinese investors. Of course they were the same who had bought the Praga and Bel-Air.

As for the old Pattison building, they apparently want to do a small "business center" where all sorts of small businesses who can't afford big rents could go to start up with lower rent. I believe they also want to do the same for the old police station but for more administrative businesses.

theshark
Apr 17, 2013, 3:41 PM
Those would be nice, i'm not sure about either of them tho, Ashton since they only have restaurants in the Quebec city area according to their website and Valentine seems to have nothing passed Quebec city and the closest franchise available listed on their website would be in Degelis in a rest area but I guess only time will tell.

And a new vocation has been found for the old police station, city counsel has approved a plan to convert the old police station to a commercial building and there is also the possibility of a 10 unit residential building beeing built right next to it. This would be a $1.5 million in investment and to help, the city is selling the building to the promoter for $1.

drumm3r
Apr 20, 2013, 9:50 AM
I heard that NB liquor is moving inside the superstore mall in Bathurst. I wonder what is going to replace the current liquor store location?

theshark
Apr 20, 2013, 9:19 PM
No word on that yet but I can't see it remaining vacant for too long, it's at a High traffic spot in on St. Peters with enough parking.

theshark
May 16, 2013, 5:04 PM
Well looks like there is a company trying to buy the old smurfitstone mill site to do ship construction. http://www.marineindustriesplus.com/

This is a I will believe it when I see it type of thing. They are talking about 1000 to 1300 jobs, but its comming from a company that has no history of shipbuilding, tacky website and no one seems to know that this was comming. All tho this would be great for the region, lets say i will not hold my breath on this one.

drumm3r
May 19, 2013, 5:20 PM
I heard that too and I think they're getting people excited without even knowing if they're really coming. I did visit the website too when I heard about it a few days ago and like you said, their website ain't showing any background of ship building or anything. I'm not trying to be negative, only realistic. We definitely need something around here to boost the economy. I am hoping they're going forward with this but I am on your side, I'll believe it when I see it.

theshark
May 23, 2013, 4:25 PM
well Brookfield management just sold their Twin Rivers Branch ( Edmundston mill, Madawaska maine mill and Plaster Rock sawmill) to a consortium made of Blue Wolf Holding and Atlas holding, 2 investment companies out of New-York.

Plan is to diversify and improve the rentability of the mills, its not their first time with paper mills and they have quite a sucess in the past.

Hope this is the begining of better days!!

ho and also the Bel Air restaurant has been sold to local investors, no news yet on what will take place there.

ErickMontreal
Jun 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
Première Nation Malécite du Madawaska : Grey Rock aura un Centre de jeux

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/img/nouvelles/normales/grey_4-pth6q.jpg

Publié le 16 mai 2013 à 16 h 08
Auteur : Marie-Pierre Beaubien

La Première Nation Malécite du Madawaska a procédé aujourd’hui à l’ouverture officielle du mégacentre commercial de Grey Rock. Plus de trois cents personnes ont assisté à l’événement. Ils ont appris qu'un nouveau Centre de jeux y sera construit.

Dix ans de durs labeurs récompensés, les nombreux partenaires célèbrent l’ouverture officielle du mégacentre commerciale Grey Rock. «Nous avons longtemps rêvé et le rêve devient réalité», souligne la chef Joanna Bernard.

Grey Rock, c’est un complexe commercial de 28 hectares, creusé dans la montagne près de la transcanadienne. «C’était un champs de foin, une montagne rocheuse. Beaucoup beaucoup de dynamitage. Littéralement, on a déplacé des montagnes», a déclaré la propriétaire d’Edmundston Truck Stop, Vicki Wallace Godbout.

«C’est incroyable. C’est un rêve presque impossible de voir un gros projet d’envergure comme ça se réaliser sur une Première Nation», a renchéri le directeur des opérations d’Edmundston Truck Stop, Marco Godbout.

Ce centre commercial en bois et en pierre sera construit prochainement sur le site. Et le clou de l’événement, un Centre de jeux. Il emploiera entre 125 et 175 travailleurs. «Ça veut dire beaucoup. Ça veut dire des emplois. Ça veut dire des familles. Ça veut dire qualité de vie. Ça veut dire faire rouler aussi l’économie. Donc c’est énorme», a souligné la députée-ministre d’Edmundston – Saint-Basile, Madeleine Dubé.

Le projet est évalué à près de 13 millions de dollars. La Première nation malécite du Madawaska a investi à elle-seule plus de 9 millions. Ottawa a injecté 3,5 millions de dollars et Fredericton 500 000$.

«Je pense que tous les Brayons, toute la république du Madawaska va (être fière) d’une pareille infrastructure chez nous. Je crois que c’est une lancée prometteuse», a rappelé le ministre des affaires autochtones et du développement du Nord Bernard Valcourt.

Le conseil de bande espère générer des retombées économiques de 300 millions de dollars durant les huit premières années d'exploitation du mégacentre commercial.

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/img/nouvelles/normales/grey_rock_1-mp7wn.jpg

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/img/nouvelles/normales/grey_5-9yjpd.jpg

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/img/nouvelles/normales/ghrey_2-m59z1.jpg

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/img/nouvelles/normales/grey_6-sw40n.jpg

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/nouvelle-Regional_Grey_Rock_aura_un_Centre_de_jeux-5718

D3nZ
Jun 12, 2013, 6:43 PM
Also, from what I've heard, the First Nations would also like to approach the City of Edmundston in hope to build the sought out new arena on their land. With the First Nation in the project it would be a major financial push. The city could possibly invest in it as a regional sports infrastructure and maybe they could secure themselves as a major tenant but without taking full financial responsibility of the project.

theshark
Jun 14, 2013, 11:51 AM
Can't wait to see what they will fill those 10 rental spaces with....

mylesmalley
Jun 14, 2013, 1:45 PM
Aren't totem poles traditionally a West-coast form of art? Isn't it a bit stereotypical putting one in front of this place?

theshark
Jun 17, 2013, 2:51 PM
^^^ yes but hey, whatever sells I guess.

On another note, a new wood product plant will open in Edmundston. No word on how many jobs it ould create yet.

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/nouvelle-a_Corruven_s_installe_a_Edmundston-6255

theshark
Jun 19, 2013, 5:41 PM
^^^^ 30 jobs to start

Good2go
Aug 14, 2013, 10:30 PM
@RickGrantCTV

NB/Fed gov't $35M subsidy saves 225 K CN's North Shore track. 10 year+ deal. Announce inside 2 wks. Critical to keep VIA on that line.

MonctonRad
Aug 14, 2013, 11:30 PM
@RickGrantCTV

NB/Fed gov't $35M subsidy saves 225 K CN's North Shore track. 10 year+ deal. Announce inside 2 wks. Critical to keep VIA on that line.

Excellent news!

:banana::banana::banana:

Now, if only we can get them to increase VIA service to six times weekly like it was before.......... :D

ErickMontreal
Aug 16, 2013, 8:19 PM
As I was driving through Edmundston, I realized that the Chateau Edmundston was rebranded to a Four Points Sheraton (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/index.html?PS=LGEN_AA_DNAD_CGGL_TBRD) which is the first in the province.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/43/ca/6b/hotel-four-points-by.jpg

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g182168-d188181-Reviews-Four_Points_by_Sheraton_Edmundston-Edmundston_New_Brunswick.html

theshark
Aug 17, 2013, 12:14 PM
^^^^^ yes they opened sometimes at the begining of the summer, the whole holtel got a few millions in upgrades.

The Best Western in Bathurst is still under constuction, huge delays has it should have been open by now.

Yes we keep our tracks but i don't think via is going to re-establish 6 day aweek service any time soon.

But Maritime bus is launching a 3 month route from Miramichi to Campbellton with a stop in Bathurst. Good to see bus services back in the region!!

And also a few new contracts at the port of Belledune will add ship traffic to the facility!

theshark
Aug 22, 2013, 1:47 PM
The google car was around Beresford yesterday, going road to road, i guess we are due for an update too!

Also google map has partially updated satelite images from Edmundston, if catches the area of the new Grey rock power center, you can really see the considerable size of the land clearing that was done for this development.

Also looks like there is a new restaurant opening in Edmundston, Station 127 and it looks like it will be at the marina.

theshark
Aug 29, 2013, 12:03 PM
I see Riocan has modified its plan to show Giant Tiger and Winners has tennants of the old zellers location in Northumberland square in Miramichi, it has been there for quite a while and as far as I could see last week end, nothing much seems to be moving. Anyone heard anyhting?

Good2go
Sep 13, 2013, 6:39 PM
I see Riocan has modified its plan to show Giant Tiger and Winners has tennants of the old zellers location in Northumberland square in Miramichi, it has been there for quite a while and as far as I could see last week end, nothing much seems to be moving. Anyone heard anyhting?

http://www.giverontheriver.com/blog/2013/09/13/giant-tiger-opening-in-miramichi/

"Giant Tiger is excited to announce the opening of its newest location in Miramichi, New Brunswick.
The store will be located in Northumberland Square at 2441 King George Highway and will offer approximately 17,300 square feet of selling space."
<snip>
"Giant Tiger Miramichi is scheduled to open on May 10, 2014."

D3nZ
Sep 17, 2013, 12:17 AM
The Station 127 will be at the old Praga hotel. A Burger King will be constructed on the Grey Rock Power Center. The construction of the casino has apparently started on the site.

theshark
Sep 28, 2013, 3:30 PM
And also the construction of a new micro-brasserie in the re-developped old Edmundston police station. This will also include the boutique au bout du monde and some other residential/commercial space.

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/nouvelle-Regional_Une_toute_premiere_microbrasserie_a_Edmundston-7928

D3nZ
Oct 12, 2013, 2:01 PM
Apparently a Tim Horton's will be opened in the vacant spot located in the only building currently on the Grey Rock site. The building will then include a Pirate de la Mer, a Shell convenience store and that new Tim Horton's.

D3nZ
Nov 4, 2013, 11:55 PM
Looks like the talks are heating up for the new arena. A group of local businessmen are apparently behind the project. It would be constructed next to the new indoor stadium. The first news that were reported said that they were looking for something around 2500 seats. My opinion is that is would be too much for Roger Lizotte and not enough for the Q. I tweeted to the mayor (who I talk to sometime) and told him that you can forget about a team from the QMHJL coming to Edmundston is they build something less than 3500. Johanna Bernard, who is no longer chef of the Madawaska Maliseet First Nations but is now responsible of the Grey Rock Power Center, denied the earlier report that they had approached the city for them to construct it on the Power Center.

They installed the new artificial turf on the soccer field next to the CDJ.

They opened the Station 127 where the Praga used to be. From what I've heard, the food is amazing but they still have troubles with the serving time.

They have also announced that the Salle Léo Poulin will undergo major renovations in the next 6 months. The renovation budget is at 1,750,000$ and will consist of new seats, sound system, air purification system, lighting system, new carpet and new colours. The current capacity of around 860 theater will become a 800 seat auditorium when it's all said and done.

theshark
Dec 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
According to Miramichi online, Winners has confirmed that they are going to set up shop in the Chi!

http://www.miramichionline.com/winners-confirms-new-store-coming-to-miramichi-summer-of-2014/

I guess the plans or RIO can who has both Giant Tiger and Winners as tennants for months now where right!

theshark
Dec 31, 2013, 8:09 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/northwestern-new-brunswick-deals-with-labour-shortage-1.2479987

I would probably not go to the extend to say that unemployement is zero, but the employement situation has probably never been better in the upper part of Madawaska county.

ErickMontreal
Jan 5, 2014, 2:37 AM
Scores recently set up their first New-Brunswick location in Edmundston, the restaurant is adjacent to the Pizza Delight.

OUIR@random
Jan 5, 2014, 10:02 PM
Scores recently set up their first New-Brunswick location in Edmundston, the restaurant is adjacent to the Pizza Delight.

Scores opened in Edmundston last Spring-Summer, it's nothing to write about either. Meh.

ErickMontreal
Jan 5, 2014, 10:09 PM
Scores opened in Edmundston last Spring-Summer, it's nothing to write about either. Meh.

Oh well, if it would have been, let's say, in Moncton, I bet the story would have been quite different...:rolleyes:

Anyhow, I thought it recently opened.

theshark
Jan 8, 2014, 2:18 PM
Oh well, if it would have been, let's say, in Moncton, I bet the story would have been quite different...:rolleyes:

Anyhow, I thought it recently opened.

Yes I bet it would have been!

Did you see if its a restaurant appart from the existing Pizza Delight?? I see some of the Pizza Delight have signs outsides their restaurant saying now serving Scores chicken.

I see also on Kijiji that someone is looking for some staff to start a bar and grill thatwould be opening in April 2014

ErickMontreal
Jan 9, 2014, 8:16 PM
+Yes I bet it would have been!

Did you see if its a restaurant appart from the existing Pizza Delight?? I see some of the Pizza Delight have signs outsides their restaurant saying now serving Scores chicken.

I see also on Kijiji that someone is looking for some staff to start a bar and grill thatwould be opening in April 2014

My understanding is that the Scores is part of the Pizza Delight although I did not make it inside. In addition, along the highway, there is sign advertising the restaurant (Centre Brunswick sign).

J'ai aussi remarqué que l'édifice qui remplace l'ancien Poste de Police est avancé. Les choses semblent très bien aller au centre-ville. Le centre d'achat Assomption est complet et des édifices semblent avoir été améliorés.

Par contre, le Centre Madaswaska est à l'agonie. Il est sur le marché afin d'etre vendu pour 5 millions et à vrai dire il ne reste plus grand chose. La perte de Zellers a possiblement annoncé la fin. En fait, ne pas avoir un Centre d'Achat régional en santé est le principal problème d'Edmundston, ceci afin de ralentir les fuites commerciales vers Riviere du Loup, Rimouski, Fredericton ou Moncton.

Voici la Brasserie (Ancien poste de Poste de Police)
http://brasseurspetitsault.com/upload/MicroBrasserie_render-2.jpg
http://brasseurspetitsault.com/actualites