DARTMOUTH | Woodland @ Mic Mac | X1
DARTMOUTH | Akerley @ Hwy 107 | X2
BEDFORD | Rocky Lake @ Duke | X1
BEDFORD | Anderson Conn @ Hwy 107 | X2

Completed:
HALIFAX | Armdale Rotary | X1
HALIFAX | Larry Uteck | X3
DARTMOUTH | Magazine Hill | X1

I think we should have a general thread for roundabouts in and around Halifax. So to start off here is an article from the Coast this week;

Traffic roundabouts suggested for three intersections bordering the Halifax Common
Traffic manager Ken Reashor to make presentation to HRM council.
Posted by Tim Bousquet on Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Traffic engineers are investigating removing traffic lights from three street intersections around the Common and replacing the traditional intersections with traffic roundabouts. The Willow Tree (Quinpool/Robie/Cogswell/Bell), the Cogswell/Trollope/Rainie and the Cunard/Agricola intersections are being studied, says traffic manager Ken Reashor, as is the Woodland/MicMac intersection in Dartmouth. Three more are under construction on Larry Uteck Boulevard in Clayton Park.

A roundabout considered for the intersection of Devonshire, Novalea and Duffus Streets caused considerable stir when nearby residents learned of the plan, but that intersection "is very obviously an ideal spot for a roundabout," says Reashor, and a roundabout there would increase safety for pedestrians, slow traffic and provide more green space.

Reashor will make a roundabout presentation to Halifax council this month, and hold an open house with north end residents this spring in hopes of convincing them to accept the roundabout proposal.

joeyedm
Apr 2, 2010, 5:04 PM
roundabouts are the most efficient ways to configure intersections, certainly the intersections mentioned above should be reconfigured as roundabouts.

Keith P.
Apr 2, 2010, 7:19 PM
roundabouts are the most efficient ways to configure intersections, certainly the intersections mentioned above should be reconfigured as roundabouts.

I somehow doubt that. If it was true they would be everywhere. I have driven all over the eastern and central part of North America and seldom see them, and where I do, they are generally in the countryside, not at the busiest intersections in cities. This proposal seems totally absurd to me.

hfx_chris
Apr 2, 2010, 7:36 PM
And before anyone jumps in and comments on how much they're used in Europe: this isn't Europe.

Dmajackson
Apr 2, 2010, 8:17 PM
For the three mentioned in the article I can see why they would consider them. They are all oddly configured intersections unfriendly to pedestrians/cyclists however I don't think one is required at Agricola @ Cunard. The Willow Tree would be controversial but may help traffic flow and safety problems. Cogswell @ North Park needs upgrades of some sort immediately and being a six-way intersection may necessitate a roundabout.

hoser111
Apr 2, 2010, 8:18 PM

and they're used a lot in Europe! :D

hfx_chris
Apr 2, 2010, 8:56 PM
:tup:

joeyedm
Apr 3, 2010, 1:52 PM
so why should they not be at these intersections?

Jonovision
Apr 3, 2010, 4:33 PM
I think they would be great for those intersections around the Commons. The only one I'm skeptical of is the intersection mentioned in Dartmouth, at Woodland and MicMac. I don't think it would work well with the highway coming into it on one side. But maybe I am wrong. I'm very interested in seeing some built in the city.

Jstaleness
Apr 5, 2010, 11:04 AM
I think they would be great for those intersections around the Commons. The only one I'm skeptical of is the intersection mentioned in Dartmouth, at Woodland and MicMac. I don't think it would work well with the highway coming into it on one side. But maybe I am wrong. I'm very interested in seeing some built in the city.

I would never have thought of one here myself but I like the idea. One of the biggest complaints about that area is the speed at which highway traffic comes into and then down Woodland Ave. Seldom do you ever see anyone drive the speed limit there. The roundabout would slow this traffic considerably.

Keith P.
Apr 5, 2010, 2:29 PM
I would never have thought of one here myself but I like the idea. One of the biggest complaints about that area is the speed at which highway traffic comes into and then down Woodland Ave. Seldom do you ever see anyone drive the speed limit there. The roundabout would slow this traffic considerably.

And/or generate far more collisions.

tribeachpunk
Apr 6, 2010, 10:42 PM
I like the idea of roundabouts around the commons!!

sk8tr
Apr 6, 2010, 11:13 PM
I like the idea of roundabouts around the commons!!

Yes, I'm in favour of them too. I heard that there are 70 planned roundabouts for Nova Scotia. So there will soon be no excuse for anyone to be ignorant about how they work.

hfx_chris
Apr 7, 2010, 2:54 AM
This should be fun...

fenwick16
Apr 7, 2010, 3:03 AM
Yes, I'm in favour of them too. I heard that there are 70 planned roundabouts for Nova Scotia. So there will soon be no excuse for anyone to be ignorant about how they work.

Just a few months ago, one opened on the outskirts of Cambridge, Ontario. However, it isn't a very heavily used road. Maybe this is a nationwide trend.

MonctonRad
Apr 7, 2010, 3:19 AM
Just a few months ago, one opened on the outskirts of Cambridge, Ontario. However, it isn't a very heavily used road. Maybe this is a nationwide trend.

There are several new roundabouts in the planning stage in Moncton. Also, if you read the PEI thread, there is a panoply of potential roundabouts being discussed in Charlottetown as well, including a couple on Riverside Drive which would be part of the city bypass.

Personally, I think that sometime last year, that there was a secret conclave of traffic engineers in Canada at some obscure wilderness resort and they decided en masse to begin this massive social experiment and foist it upon the unsuspecting Canadian public.

I love a good conspiracy theory, especially when it has to do with social engineering! :tup:

Dmajackson
Apr 7, 2010, 3:26 AM

There's three new ones I can think of in Nova Scotia; Exit 9 on Hwy 101, Alexandria St (Sydney), and Exit 5A on Hwy 101. All of those are generally on low volume roads.

Outside of Halifax I only know of Amherst having one in the plans.

joeyedm
Apr 7, 2010, 1:24 PM
personally i see nothing wrong with roundabouts. i lived in edmonton for a few years, there is one in particular that i used all the time as it was in my neighbourhood. this one is at 149st and 107 ave. very busy intersection. i looked it up through google, an estimated 45000 cars and trucks use this roundabout over the run of a day. i never saw any accidents here and i used it twice a day. traffic was slow going through, but traffic was constantly moving, as opposed to starting and stopping for lights. i dont see any problem with having roundabouts near the commons, it will certainly make those intersections that are mentioned alot easier to navigate.

i would like to know why people are against these roundabouts. im not wanting to start an argument or anything, i would just like to know why people would be against it. im not an engineer or cityplanner, but i know from my own personal experience, that roundabouts are efficent ways to move traffic

terrynorthend
Apr 7, 2010, 5:47 PM
And/or generate far more collisions.

I have to agree with Keith. Roundabouts would be a terrible idea anywhere that there is heavy vehicle traffic AND high pedestrian concentrations. (Eg. Willow Tree intersection).

Everyone wants roundabouts because they "keep traffic moving, without all the stopping and starting". So when exactly do people get across the street? Pedestrian counts are very high in this area with a hospital, hotel, public parks and a high school nearby. Do pedestrians get the right of way like at normal street crossings? In this city where pedestrian is king, I can imagine times of the day when traffic is at a complete standstill because of a near constant stream of pedestrians.

I *hate* walking through the Armdale roundabout with a passion. Drivers have so much to concentrate on getting into and out of it, being in the proper lanes, knowing their exit route, watching other drivers coming in, going out and traveling around. Add to this pedestrians in many short and longer crossings, and poor sight lines from multiple lanes, (the constant curve of the roundabout makes it difficult for drivers to see people or cars approaching if there is heavy traffic in the lane next to them) its quite a distracting place.

Jstaleness
Apr 8, 2010, 11:12 AM
i would like to know why people are against these roundabouts. im not wanting to start an argument or anything, i would just like to know why people would be against it. im not an engineer or cityplanner, but i know from my own personal experience, that roundabouts are efficent ways to move traffic

The next 2 posts after you mentioned the main reason. Roundabouts are designed to move traffic not Pedestrians. Roundabouts are difficult to cross for pedestrians. It can be scary because you are relying on the drivers to see you in time. However I am in favor of them because as at any pedestrian crossing, Pedestrians are still responsible to make sure the crossing is clear, instead of just barging into the crossing.

tribeachpunk
Apr 8, 2010, 1:33 PM

There's three new ones I can think of in Nova Scotia; Exit 9 on Hwy 101, Alexandria St (Sydney), and Exit 5A on Hwy 101. All of those are generally on low volume roads.

Outside of Halifax I only know of Amherst having one in the plans.

Bridgewater is looking at installing at least one roundabout at the intersection of Aberdeen Road and North Street (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=aberdeen+road+at+north+street,+bridgewater,+ns&sll=44.384273,-64.515022&sspn=0.00802,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Aberdeen+Rd+%26+North+St,+Bridgewater,+Lunenburg+County,+Nova+Scotia&z=16), near Highway 103's Exit 12 at Cookville to help handle the traffic heading to/from the 103 and the Cookville "business park" (Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc).

Dmajackson
Apr 18, 2010, 4:22 AM
I've started a "compilation" list on the first post to keep track of the roundabouts in the Halifax area. If I forgot any just post it and I'll add it on. From memory I have been able to list 10 that are planned and the three under construction (per say) on Larry Uteck and of course Halifax's only serviced roundabout in Armdale. I think I remember reading there are dozens planned right now in HRM so if you know of any please share.

On another note last week I used the new roundabout in Windsor on Wentworth Rd (Exit 5A) a couple of times and it seems to work very efficiently. Traffic was light when I passed through so I didn't even have to fully stop and having cars slow to around 30km/h will help the speeding problem found on many roads with interchanges on them.

Dmajackson
May 7, 2010, 7:38 PM
This is going before Committee of the Whole next week; http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/100511cow3.pdf

It basically is asking for Council's endorsement for roundabouts in HRM and has a few designs in Appendix "B" for the four proposed on the Peninsula.

joeyedm
May 7, 2010, 7:58 PM
excellent, hopefully these will be constructed sooner rather than later.

alps
May 7, 2010, 8:36 PM
Hm, I don't think I support the roundabout design at the Willow Tree after seeing the proposal. The thing is a monster, and while I know the crosswalks need to be distanced from the circle for safety, it's unreasonable to expect people to walk that far. You might think pedestrian levels are low there, but I went to QEH and Citadel and there are literally small crowds of students crossing at times.

Some of the other plans look reasonable...but the Willow Tree roundabout looks absolutely treacherous to cross.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/halps00/4d68f09b.jpg
(measured on Google Earth based on the normal route of someone heading toward CHS or Spring Garden)

combine that with the increased speed of traffic and I think this is a step in the wrong direction given the number of pedestrians here.

Keith P.
May 7, 2010, 9:46 PM
Absolutely ridiculous except perhaps for the one at Agricola. These use significantly more real estate and the proposals see loss of mature trees and private property. Putting one in at the Willow Tree intersection would be a total disaster. The only place these things should even be considered would be at existing 4-way stop intersections, which are real time-wasters. I also note that the one at Devonshire/Duffus/Novalea, which staff declared dead just a few months ago, has magically reappeared.

I would have hoped that traffic staff would be trying to fix the real problem intersections in this town, like the Windsor St Abortion, rather than wasting time on idiotic ideas like this.

Jonovision
May 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
From todays Herald.

City could take direct route to roundabouts

Council to consider recommendations for 4 potential traffic circles

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE

Staff Reporter

The shape of things to come re garding future traffic management in metro is apparently circular.

That’s because “given the con siderable benefits of roundabouts in certain situations" municipal staff are recommending Halifax regional council embrace traffic circles instead of sanctioning intersections with four-way stops or traffic signals.

If the politicians agree, the municipality will roll out an ambi tious public education program before vehicles roll through a circular intersection in a counter clockwise direction.

A staff report, to be presented to council’s committee of the whole Tuesday, identifies four potential locations for a roundabout. These are: • The Willow Tree intersection (Quinpool/Robie/Cogswell/Bell) • Cunard/North Park/Agricola • North Park/Cogswell/Trollope/ Ahern/Rainnie • Devonshire/Novalea/Duffus The last one on the list was a proposed roundabout that was ditched by city staff in January.

But Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Hali fax North End) said then the concept could still be resurrected this spring, after area residents and business operators are con sulted Mayor Peter Kelly said he’ll need to be convinced that round abouts are the way to go.

“To build new ones . . . in in tersections that appear to work well — I would have some issues with," he told The Chronicle Herald Saturday.

Roundabouts are used in Eur ope and other parts of North America.

According to Transport Canada, “modern well-designed round abouts have been shown to signif icantly improve the safety of the intersections when compared with the previous traffic control condi tion."

With respect to the Willow Tree intersection in Halifax, municipal staff plan to upgrade it.

“Our intention is to consider a roundabout," Ken Reashor, Hali fax Regional Municipality’s acting director of transportation and public works, told Halifax Maga zine last month.

“The analysis that we’ve done, and we’ve computer-modelled it, is that a two-lane roundabout would . . . improve the operation there."

The staff report says not only would traffic circles improve intersections, they’ll provide local communities with better esthetics. “There is typically more green space available at roundabouts" which can be landscaped, it says.

(mlightstone@herald.ca)

Dmajackson
May 10, 2010, 8:52 PM
Novelea:

The roundabout looks excellent for the location. I have not used the intersection much so I cannot comment on the traffic flow or pedestrian problems there might already be however on an asthetic note a roundabout at the north-side of Hydrostone could be a nice gateway for the neighbourhood just like the Market is for the south.

Cunard:

Good idea logically and asthetically. A single lane roundabout would aid motorists turning left from North Park onto Cunard. Also it would have the more subtle benefit of adding a bit of parkland onto the Commons. I dislike the awkward piece of grass left in front of the Armoury though.

Willow Tree:

This one's iffy to me. It would make sense to upgrade the intersection but this looks like an Armdale Roundabout placed in the middle of town. The large radius and multiple lanes would make pedestrians trying to cross a bit nervous.

Ahern/Trollope:

Good idea for a bad intersection. I don't particularily like that it is going to be two lanes however the crosswalks are near the intersection and since two of the roads are one-way and traffic volumes aren't overly high this shouldn't pose as serious problem.

halifaxboyns
May 10, 2010, 9:54 PM
I've had a look at the proposed designs:

Novalea:
My concern would be mainly about the loss of some of the mature trees - I'd like to see them moved or retained if at all possible. My other concerns are the access points for the lawtons and the large grass area that would be in front of it on Novalea. I'd say close off one of the two off Duffus and make it one single, wide driveway crossing. The two crossings dont' make sense to me. Plus, I forsee that whole grassy strip being covered with temporary signs for that mall - won't be pretty.

The Trollope/North Park one looks pretty good. I'd not want to tree the centre though - given the high volume of traffic and ability to see pedestrians (during rush hours).

As for Robie/Cogswell - if it will make the traffic in this area improve, I'd say go for it. I like the idea of treeing the centre I think is actually a great homage (did I spell that right) to the Willow Tree of days past. I miss that tree, sad to say. Could even put up a plaque somewhere on one side (or a couple of them) to make it a visitor thing. Loss of mature trees near the baseball field is a problem - but if they could be moved, great.

Cunard - I have to agree with the patch of greenspace in front of the armoury - but it could also be a spot to plant some mature trees?

-Harlington-
May 11, 2010, 1:56 PM
another article:

Roundabouts proposed for Halifax

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 | 9:22 AM AT Comments11Recommend8CBC News
The drawing on the right shows how the intersection of Quinpool and Robie would look as a roundabout. (Halifax Regional Municipality)
Halifax regional councillors are considering whether to turn four busy intersections into roundabouts.

Municipal traffic officials say these traffic circles are safer and more efficient, though also more expensive than upgrading the existing traffic lights. They will present their case to councillors on Tuesday.

But Coun. Jerry Blumenthal said he isn't convinced.

"I'm not for cars, I'm for pedestrians," said Blumenthal, who could see a roundabout in his north-end Halifax district.

"What are we doing? We're $30 million in the hole and now we're talking about roundabouts, especially this one, for $1 milllion."

The intersection of Duffus, Devonshire and Novalea streets is one of four potential roundabout sites in the city. The other three intersections are:

Quinpool, Robie, Cogswell, Bell
Cunard, North Park, Agricola
North Park, Cogswell, Rainnie, Trollope, Ahern
Municipal staff say there are about 70 per cent fewer accidents for both cars and pedestrians in roundabouts compared to traditional intersections with traffic lights.

The Nova Scotia government plans to build six roundabouts in the Halifax Regional Municipality this year: three along Larry Uteck Boulevard and Highway 102 and three along Margeson Drive and Highway 101

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/05/11/ns-halifax-roundabout.html#ixzz0nd404gha

pascalosti
May 11, 2010, 6:17 PM
I support roundabouts 100%
I cannot stand 4 way stops, or 5 star lanes with traffic lights (which should never occur in the first place).

Dmajackson
May 11, 2010, 7:56 PM
When I was in town today I was thinking of roundabouts and the idea of one at the Willow Tree is beginning to warm up on me.

In the document its mentioned that roundabouts could be used as an upgrade for 4-way stops. With this in mind the intersection of Inglis St and South Park could be a good candidate. There's space on three sides to expropriate land, the traffic volumes do not warrant traffic lights, and it would keep the slowing idea but allow traffic to flow uninterrupted.

The other 4-way stops that I know of in town are;

South @ Barrington (no space)
Morris @ Queen (no space)
Summer @ Sackville (potential)
Russell @ Gottingen (potential)
South @ Oxford (potential)

Wishblade
May 12, 2010, 1:34 AM
Halifax roundabouts a go

Council votes unanimously

Halifax regional council has agreed to turn four busy intersections into roundabouts.

All councillors voted in favour of the projects Tuesday.

Municipal traffic officials say these traffic circles are safer and more efficient, though also more expensive than upgrading the existing traffic lights. They will present their case to councillors on Tuesday.

But Coun. Jerry Blumenthal said Monday that he isn't convinced.

"I'm not for cars, I'm for pedestrians," said Blumenthal, who could see a roundabout in his north-end Halifax district.

"What are we doing? We're $30 million in the hole and now we're talking about roundabouts, especially this one, for $1 milllion."

The intersection of Duffus, Devonshire and Novalea streets is one of four potential roundabout sites in the city. The other three intersections are:

* Quinpool, Robie, Cogswell, Bell
* Cunard, North Park, Agricola
* North Park, Cogswell, Rainnie, Trollope, Ahern

Municipal staff say there are about 70 per cent fewer accidents for both cars and pedestrians in roundabouts compared to traditional intersections with traffic lights.

The Nova Scotia government plans to build six roundabouts in the Halifax Regional Municipality this year: three along Larry Uteck Boulevard and Highway 102 and three along Margeson Drive and Highway 101.

HRM transporation manager Ken Reashore said municipally owned roundabouts won't be built overnight.

"The earliest that could happen, if everyone was in agreement, would be next year or the year after," he said Tuesday.

Coun. Debbie Hum is counting the days until the roundabouts in her district are built.

"I'm getting excited about the Larry Uteck roundabouts because I see the potential for a lot of traffic to move through there," she said.

Those roundabouts could be ready by the end of July.

fenwick16
May 12, 2010, 5:09 AM
It sounds like a good idea, but how do pedestrians cross three lanes of traffic in this roundabout?

(source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/05/11/ns-halifax-roundabout.html#ixzz0nd404gha )
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/05/11/ns-halifax-quinpool-round.jpg

halifaxboyns
May 12, 2010, 5:23 AM
It sounds like a good idea, but how do pedestrians cross three lanes of traffic in this roundabout?

(source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/05/11/ns-halifax-roundabout.html#ixzz0nd404gha )
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/05/11/ns-halifax-quinpool-round.jpg

I think the white lines on the drawing are meant to represent the pedestrian pathways to get across the whole thing - so even though the sidewalks aren't shown - you can get the idea.

fenwick16
May 12, 2010, 11:39 AM
Since there is no traffic light, during heavy traffic it seems like getting across safely will be a hazard to any pedestrian. It would make sense to have pedestrian bridges at these locations except that will greatly increase the cost and some people won't like climbing across a bridge. I can see the concern for pedestrians; it will be like crossing a 6 lane street in the middle of a block (but with a crosswalk).

cormiermax
May 12, 2010, 2:13 PM
I wonder what there planning for the center of the roundabouts? I hope it's something better than whats at armdale.

Halifax Hillbilly
May 12, 2010, 3:34 PM
The Willow Tree roundabout looks like it would take out a lot of mature trees, and the questions on pedestrian crossings weren't even discussed by Ken Reashor (I get the impression pedestrians are far from his priority). If the white lines are the crosswalks it will take a lot longer to walk around the Willow Tree in almost any direction. And as many people have asked, without lights will any cars stop?

I think it's too early to be for or against this until we see more detailed designs and some better thought about how people might use these crosswalks.

Dmajackson
May 12, 2010, 7:28 PM
Since there is no traffic light, during heavy traffic it seems like getting across safely will be a hazard to any pedestrian. It would make sense to have pedestrian bridges at these locations except that will greatly increase the cost and some people won't like climbing across a bridge. I can see the concern for pedestrians; it will be like crossing a 6 lane street in the middle of a block (but with a crosswalk).

I imagine they'd install flashing overhead lights at the crosswalks. It'd be similar to the crossing just down the street in front of the Welsford.

I know a couple of people have been hit (and probably one killed because of the cross nearby) at the Welsford corsswalk over the years so extra safety measures could be helpful on marked crossings without stoplights on Robie (theres at least one more further south too). Just off the top of my mind warning signs (already used at Welsford), zebra stripes, a stop line, and rumble strips coulds be installed to increase safety in the area.

hfx_chris
May 12, 2010, 11:48 PM
Same way we've been navigating the Armdale rotary for years; by putting our lives at risk.

Something tells me there are going to be dangerous speeds coming into this circle, especially northbound on Robie down that little hill.

eastcoastal
May 13, 2010, 10:34 AM
I can't, for the life of me, rationalize how these make sense in an urban situation. Sure, they're good for traffic flow... vehicular traffic. That's a goal that I believe is only worthy outside of the peninsula. Focus in almost all of these areas should be less on how to get people through in the fastest manner possible, and more on how to support bicycles, pedestrians, and transit. I just don't see how Ken Reashor's rationalization that they provide more "green space" really makes sense. Is he suggesting that a patch of grass surrounded by fast moving traffic adds to the quality of life? How about my ability to WALK to the North Common?

Keith P.
May 15, 2010, 5:57 PM

As it happens, i had to use the thing at exit 5A in Windsor today. I am stumped as to why it needed to be built. There was no issue I can recall with that intersection. It seems a great waste of tax money.

If that is the design that is being touted by the geniuses at TIR, we are in a lot of trouble. It is very badly designed. The circle is far too small and as a result the steering angles are very acute. In addition, it seems that visibility for other vehicles is affected due to the location being next to an overpass of the 101. I had an 18-wheeler pull out in front of me after I presume he failed to see me exit the roundabout and head towards him. Just horrible.

Dmajackson
May 15, 2010, 6:48 PM
As it happens, i had to use the thing at exit 5A in Windsor today. I am stumped as to why it needed to be built. There was no issue I can recall with that intersection. It seems a great waste of tax money.

If that is the design that is being touted by the geniuses at TIR, we are in a lot of trouble. It is very badly designed. The circle is far too small and as a result the steering angles are very acute. In addition, it seems that visibility for other vehicles is affected due to the location being next to an overpass of the 101. I had an 18-wheeler pull out in front of me after I presume he failed to see me exit the roundabout and head towards him. Just horrible.

I've used it a few times now and never had a problem with it. The small radius is so the cars coming off of the 101 have to slow down going around the circle.

If you're talking about vehicles coming off of the 101 eastbound it may not have been the sight line that caused him to pull out. The wait to turn off of the ramp can be very lengthy so its possible he was cutting it closer than normal just to get out of the area in a reasonible amount of time.

Dmajackson
May 28, 2010, 7:15 PM
HRM To Hold Public Information Session on a Potential Roundabout within District 11

(Friday, May 28, 2010) - If you are interested in understanding why HRM staff is recommending a roundabout at the intersection of Devonshire/Duffus/Novalea, come to the public information session on June 2, 2010.

The public information session will be hosted by HRM’s Traffic Services at St. Stephen’s School (3669 Highland Avenue, Halifax) from 7 pm to 9 pm on Wednesday, June 2, 2010.

On May 11, 2010, Halifax Regional Council adopted in principle the use of modern roundabouts on municipal roads where appropriate design guidelines and standards can be met. A roundabout is a circular intersection where traffic goes one way, in a counter clock-wise direction, where vehicles yield upon entry. It provides another option for a controlled intersection, that is, instead of stop signs or traffic signals.

Staff will make a presentation on roundabouts, discuss why a roundabout is recommended at this location and be available to answer any questions.
To link to the staff report to HRM Council regarding roundabouts visit: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/100511cow3.pdf

Dmajackson
Jun 3, 2010, 9:26 PM
North-enders reject roundabout
250 turn out to discuss installing traffic circle at Devonshire, Duffus and Novalea
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Thu. Jun 3 - 4:53 AM

It was pitched, then ditched, and now it’s been hoisted back to the starting line.

Lots of north-end Halifax residents still aren’t close to being comfortable with the prospect of a roundabout in their district.

In fact, they’re downright hostile to the idea.

Many folks at a packed public meeting Wednesday night told municipal staff a traffic circle is unnecessary for an intersection near the Devonshire Arena.

They were representative of a somewhat testy crowd of more than 250 people that gave municipal staff a rough ride over the concept.

The meeting was 14 minutes old before the audience let out its first collective groan mixed with laughs, directed at a city hall staffer.

Residents heard roundabouts are considerably safer than intersections with traffic lights.

Audience members didn’t buy it, though. And the visually impaired at the meeting said they fear for their well-being at roundabouts. One visually impaired man told the audience he tried a pedestrian crossing at the Armdale roundabout, "and it was a terrifying experience."

Staff late last year sought to build a single-lane roundabout at Devonshire Avenue, Duffus Street and Novalea Drive. Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said at the time he had no clue a plan was in the works to potentially convert the intersection. He expressed shock over the initial plan for a traffic circle, which was in a request for proposals on the city’s website, when contacted by The Chronicle Herald in December.

Blumenthal later asked staff to yank the tender call so a community meeting could be held. That session happened Wednesday in a gym at a local school.

Residents heard a presentation from Halifax Regional Municipality staff, and then let them have it.

A woman challenged staff to produce data on the need for a roundabout in Halifax’s north end. Another resident shouted a question from the back of the room: "Are you asking us or telling us" about the need for a roundabout?

Staff responded that their recommendation to Halifax regional council is for a traffic circle, but a decision will be up to the politicians.

An elderly man who lives at the north end of Novalea Drive said he goes through the intersection up to six times daily. He said Canadian benchmarks shouldn’t necessarily be associated with the proposed north-end project.

"It appears to me . . . that you’re applying national standards to an intersection in which they do not apply," he said, prompting spontaneous applause.

The city is also looking at building a roundabout at the Willow Tree intersection at Quinpool Road, Robie Street, Bell Road and Cogswell Street. As well, intersections at Cunard, North Park and Agricola streets, and at Ahern Avenue, Rainnie Drive and North Park, Cogswell and Trollope streets are being discussed.

Regional council last month agreed to push ahead with converting old intersections into modern roundabouts. Blumenthal is opposed to a traffic circle for his area. He said the planned roundabout will cost a minimum of $1 million.

Staff said the north-end intersection needs to be upgraded because the signals, installed in 1966, are approaching the end of their life span.

According to Transport Canada, "modern well-designed roundabouts have been shown to significantly improve the safety of the intersections when compared with the previous traffic control condition."

( mlightstone@herald.ca)

hfx_chris
Jun 3, 2010, 10:13 PM
Staff said the north-end intersection needs to be upgraded because the signals, installed in 1966, are approaching the end of their life span.
So replace the signals.
They've replaced traffic signals at a lot of intersections in HRM, without having to install circles. I still think this is a complete waste of money for this intersection.

Haliguy
Jun 4, 2010, 1:12 AM
I can't understand people.... just more nimby's who don't want change. There is nothing wrong with roundabouts and this would be a perfect place to put one.

eastcoastal
Jun 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
I can't understand people.... just more nimby's who don't want change. There is nothing wrong with roundabouts and this would be a perfect place to put one.

I disagree. I think that roundabouts are probably good solutions for many situations, but I do not believe they belong anywhere on the peninsula. To me, this smacks of trying to get more traffic in and out - and I have to say, I don't believe that's the right thing to do. Increasing traffic flow will only increase traffic...

... maybe you think more traffic is OK. I don't. I think that for too long the focus has been on cars (and here's where I probably start to sound like a NIMBY). I might be happier if cars were DISCOURAGED from entering the peninsula. If I were to describe what the transportation network of this city should be designed to do, it would be to encourage active transportation (bikes and walking) and public transit, while decreasing the reliance on automobiles and imported gas.

I would say that roundabouts discourage active transportation, neither discourage nor encourage public transit (though maybe they eat up potential funding sources), and potentially increase vehicular traffic (by increasing the capacity) and increase reliance on automobiles and fossil fuels.

So... to quote some of our favourite NIMBYs, this is fine, just not in this location (the number of times that sentiment expressed over "tall" buildings has made me want to scream makes it difficult for me to type it myself!). Now if you excuse me, I have some hail marys or something to say...

Haliguy
Jun 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
I disagree. I think that roundabouts are probably good solutions for many situations, but I do not believe they belong anywhere on the peninsula. To me, this smacks of trying to get more traffic in and out - and I have to say, I don't believe that's the right thing to do. Increasing traffic flow will only increase traffic...

... maybe you think more traffic is OK. I don't. I think that for too long the focus has been on cars (and here's where I probably start to sound like a NIMBY). I might be happier if cars were DISCOURAGED from entering the peninsula. If I were to describe what the transportation network of this city should be designed to do, it would be to encourage active transportation (bikes and walking) and public transit, while decreasing the reliance on automobiles and imported gas.

I would say that roundabouts discourage active transportation, neither discourage nor encourage public transit (though maybe they eat up potential funding sources), and potentially increase vehicular traffic (by increasing the capacity) and increase reliance on automobiles and fossil fuels.

So... to quote some of our favourite NIMBYs, this is fine, just not in this location (the number of times that sentiment expressed over "tall" buildings has made me want to scream makes it difficult for me to type it myself!). Now if you excuse me, I have some hail marys or something to say...

don't think so...roundabouts make perfect sense for the peninsula with its screwed up intersections like this one with five streets coming into it.

Roundabouts are safer and more efficient and guess what without imporved transit the cars are going to come anyway with the growth of the city.

They have to replace the signals anyway so why not make things better.

One of the worst intersections in the city where there should definitely be a roundabout is Cogswells and North Park I have seen a few bad collisions there.

Keith P.
Jun 4, 2010, 10:38 PM
People oppose these things for many reasons:
- they do not like change
- there are issues with pedestrian crossings
- they take up much space
- they are too European
- people don't understand the need for them and the huge expense
- and the #1 reason: people have long memories of the gawdawful Armdale and Micmac rotaries and want to never see them again.

Now, one can argue that roundabouts are not rotaries and that may be so in theory -- but Halifax drivers are terrible on their best days, and you know there will be some bozos who do not follow the rules and try to do the dreaded one-on-one routine, which spreads like a virus. Once that happens, it's game over.

Today I was witness to some of the worst, most boorish and rude displays of road manners I have ever seen, all caused by road construction. I find it hard to believe these idiots will suddenly play nice when they get into roundabouts.

someone123
Jun 4, 2010, 11:09 PM
People don't like change, but it will happen whether or not there are new roundabouts. There is going to be increased traffic. The only question is how to deal with it, and doing nothing is one of the worst possible answers.

Halifax is currently headed for a train wreck. Give it another decade and there will be 50,000 more people trying to use the same 1970s transportation system built for a city half the size. The longer the city waits to deal with the problem, the higher the costs will be, both in terms of lost quality of life and in terms of construction.

hfx_chris
Jun 4, 2010, 11:44 PM
They have to replace the signals anyway so why not make things better.
So replace the signals! Why replace the intersection?
It's like saying the wiring in my house is old and needs to be replaced; why not build a new house while I'm at it?

Anyway, you still haven't convinced me that a roundabout is appropriate for this intersection. Saying that it's a five-way intersection doesn't cut it, there's nothing wrong with a five-way intersection as long as people follow the traffic signals.
But as Keith said, drivers in Halifax are idiots at the best of times, I can pretty much guarantee they're going to treat this (if built) as a high-speed rotary.

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 4, 2010, 11:44 PM
I think a nice bronze statue or a fountain would look amazing in the middle of the armdale rotary:

http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/index.php?CURRENT_CAM=armdale&SET_CAM=armdale

What do you guys think?

someone123
Jun 4, 2010, 11:49 PM
Yep, I've always thought that would be a good place for some public art.

Same thing goes for intersections like North Park and Cogswell.

Dmajackson
Jun 5, 2010, 2:16 AM
I posted this on one of the articles comment boards but if Blumenthal doesn't want up to $1 million spent to improve traffic flow and the beauty of his district Bedford will gladly take the money and build a roundabout at the Bedford Highway and Rocky Lake Rd.

Normally councillors have to convince the city to finance projects but in this case the city is offering to spend money in his district

Dmajackson
Jun 12, 2010, 1:56 AM
Middle Sackville to get traffic roundabout
Halifax News Net
By Yvette d’Entremont-The Weekly News

The community of Middle Sackville will be home to a provincial traffic roundabout by the end of this year.
During a Northwest Community Council meeting in April, the province’s senior highway design engineer Keith Boddy shared plans for the Margeson Drive Interchange and Connector with a packed audience gathered at Millwood High School.
“Our plans are coming to fruition. Ramps and the connection to the highway will be done this season,” Boddy told the crowd. “The Interchange to Trunk 1 has to be completed by November. Asphalt has to be down. The (entire) project has to be done before March 31 or we don’t get federal funding.”
Boddy was quick to assure everyone the proposed roundabout bore absolutely no resemblance to the Mic Mac Rotary, but pointed instead to successful and similar models in Avonport and Windsor.
He shared a series of projected images and explained the differences between rotaries and roundabouts. He also noted that statistics demonstrate these kinds of installations are significantly safer than traditional intersection/interchange systems.
“There are seven of these style interchanges going forward (in Nova Scotia) this year,” Boddy explained. “It is seen as one of the safest types of intersections/interchanges in the world.”
The roundabout plan presented to the community is designed so vehicles must yield on entry and proceed when there’s a safe gap.
“If someone blows through a yield, you have a sideswipe or rear end collision. At a slower operating speed, collisions are a lot less severe than getting hit head-on or t-boned at a traditional intersection,” Boddy said.
Vehicles on the Middle Sackville roundabout could expect an estimated delay time of between six and 12 seconds. Boddy suggested that might be welcome in a growing area where traffic delays are notorious.
In addition, the roundabout’s proposed design ensures that it will function for about 20 years. Boddy said the roadway would remain open while under construction, but he didn’t expect traffic delays would be significant.
The roundabout will be located on a Middle Sackville portion of Sackville Drive at Margeson Drive, not far from the Atlantic Gardens property.
Local MLA Mat Whynott said when he first learned about the planned roundabout, he was worried. But he quickly came onboard and believes the majority of local residents also support the project.
“I’ve been out canvassing and informing people on the Sackville side of the riding, and so far 99 per cent have no problems with it as long as the project gets done,” Whynott said last week. “Education around how to use roundabouts is important and is really the key here.”
The vast majority of public speakers with questions after Boddy’s April 22 presentation were in favour of the idea, although some expressed their concerns about getting used to a roundabout.
Whynott said he’s focusing on public awareness and is anxious to see the federal/provincial cost-shared project move ahead.
“The project has to be done by March, and it doesn’t make sense to be putting pavement down in mid January,” he said. “The whole project will be done by December, 2010.”
The Sackville Drive roundabout is a provincial project cost shared with the federal government. However, HRM is also considering the installation of roundabouts at four downtown Halifax sites.
Residents were unhappy with municipal officials who tried last week to explain the rationale behind one proposed roundabout at the corner of Novalea, Duffus and Devonshire streets.
Last month municipal councillors unanimously supported, in principle, the idea of roundabouts in HRM. Regional council will determine whether such projects proceed.

ydentremont@hfxnews.ca

Keith P.
Jun 12, 2010, 2:17 AM
Flavor of the month idiocy. Why are all traffic bureaucrats such absolute morons?

Halifax Hillbilly
Jun 12, 2010, 12:18 PM
Flavor of the month idiocy. Why are all traffic bureaucrats such absolute morons?

Why are people so quick to dismiss a new approach before it's even tried in Halifax?

alps
Jun 13, 2010, 5:10 AM
Why are people so quick to dismiss a new approach before it's even tried in Halifax?

It has been tried, and it's probably a bad idea :shrug:. I don't mind the Armdale circle (or those out by highway interchanges) because it doesn't have much pedestrian traffic, but I know how hard it is to cross. It seems contradictory to decry the Cogswell interchange as having cut off one part of the city from another while essentially doing the same thing at the Willow Tree by sticking a massive roundabout in there.

tribeachpunk
Jun 18, 2010, 1:28 AM
Council votes down circle, decides to upgrade traffic signals
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Wed. Jun 16 - 4:53 AM

A proposed roundabout for north-end Halifax is dead.

Regional council Tuesday killed the planned project, which had been destined for an intersection near the Devonshire Arena.

Council made the move after Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) presented a motion to have city staff abandon the idea in favour of upgrading or replacing aging signal lights there.

The north-end traffic circle idea was ditched despite council’s approval in principle weeks ago of roundabouts in Halifax. Blumenthal has said building such a traffic-control structure in his area would have cost a minimum of $1 million.

Though councillors still support the construction of roundabouts, they recognized the strong opposition in the city’s north end to having one at the intersection of Novalea Drive, Duffus Street and Devonshire Avenue. Blumenthal presented council with a petition of more than 360 names signed by people who attended a heated public meeting on the issue earlier this month.

In a letter to Mayor Peter Kelly and council dated Monday, a Novalea Drive resident said municipal staff were off course regarding the need for a roundabout in her district.

"The recommendation of a roundabout at this location is overkill for a problem that doesn’t exist," Michelle Margolian said in her letter.

Blumenthal said public opinion in his area is firmly against a roundabout being built.

Tuesday’s sudden stop by council followed remarks by Coun. Linda Mosher (Purcells Cove-Armdale), who said city hall entered into the north-end roundabout controversy without properly consulting the public.

Staff initially proposed six months ago that a traffic circle be built at the intersection. The plan was part of a formal proposal request from Halifax Regional Municipality that neither the residents nor their councillor, Blumenthal, knew about.

In other business, council honoured dozens of young people at a city hall ceremony Tuesday evening. According to a city release, 48 "outstanding youth" were presented with 2010 citi)zenship awards for their commitment to their communities and school work.

"The recipients are chosen by teachers and principals based on demonstrated qualities of good citizenship," the release says. "Those chosen have shown that they not only excel academically but are also committed to giving back to their school and their community at large."

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1187503.html

joeyedm
Jun 18, 2010, 1:29 PM
again our council shows ZERO ZERO ZERO leadership.

-Harlington-
Jun 18, 2010, 1:58 PM
I never thought that this was the best place for a roundabout anyway, and really with that many people opposing, it its not like a few here and there and the squeeky wheel thing but there was hundreds opposing it.
And its not like armdale where thats mostly a traffic artery anyway, its a commuinity and i can think better places to put a roundabout, but they do need to do something with that intersection, although you could say that about a lot of them.

joeyedm
Jun 18, 2010, 2:02 PM
this was nothing but our council bending to the will of a bunch of SMELLY OLD NUMBYS who have no businesss opening their mouths.

eastcoastal
Jun 18, 2010, 8:05 PM
this was nothing but our council bending to the will of a bunch of SMELLY OLD NUMBYS who have no businesss opening their mouths.

citizens always have the right to voice their opinions. Council isn't bound to listen to them, but must govern to the best of their abilities given the input they gather from staff, their constituents, and via their own efforts. Not saying that they make the right decisions, but I don't think it's accurate to say that the local citizens who attended a public meeting had "no business opening their mouths." Perhaps you should have been there to counter their fears and convince council that a traffic circle would really make that area safer for cars, and encourage pedestrian activity and active transportation.

Keith P.
Jun 18, 2010, 8:18 PM

Very mature comment. :(

Canadian_Bacon
Jun 18, 2010, 9:53 PM
I don't think roundabouts/ rotaries should be placed in the city or busy residential areas with pedestrians. They are more for outside the city, on busy road's where it's pretty much all vehicle traffic. In the city it's alot of pedestrian traffic, so these road systems don't work as well.

I think one of the problems in Halifax is people (government or public) don't understand a rotary, or roundabout or how they work best. They think it works fine in one situation, so it must work fine in another situation. By the sounds of it, Halifax councillors want to put them everywhere. But you can't really do that as alot of areas have alot of pedestrian traffic. Alot of intersections these roadways are proposed would be just fine with a set of lights.

In a city, even with a rotary, traffic would back up (maybe not as bad as an intersection) but traffic would still be slow as you have pedestrians crossing, cars going around the circle, cars would have to wait to enter, plus all kinds of roads coming into the rotary etc. etc. (Plus you'd have those with zero patience and just go, not waiting for an opening. Or those not knowing how the circle works, thus slowing everyone down.) It's not as efficient in a city as it would be on a highway or less populated area etc. Where a roundabout/ rotary is more suited.

Even when you look at Columbus Circle in NYC... It has lights to help control traffic. So lights are not all bad ;)

Maybe this is what Halifax needs to do in it's more busy intersections in the city. Have a roundabout with lights. This way pedestrians can still have a chance to cross without having to be scared to death.

Something like Columbus Circle.
http://www.asla.org/awards/2006/medals/images/ol_10.jpg

someone123
Jun 19, 2010, 12:08 AM
I could see something like that for the Willow Tree and Cogswell/North Park because they involve more than two streets intersecting.

Something else to note is that Columbus Circle is attractive and provides public space, not just empty grass. It is very similar to the Willow Tree in Halifax, which is also at the corner of a park. Columbus Circle, like the Willow Tree, involves an intersection of more than two streets (Broadway goes through there at an odd angle). Presumably Columbus Circle handles far more traffic than the Willow Tree - it was certainly busy when I was there.

joeyedm
Jun 19, 2010, 1:17 PM
your right i should have gone to the meeting however i dont live in the neighbourhood.

my comment certainly was in mature, however im just getting tired of listening to small mnded people who do nothing but sit and point fingers mockinly at the engineers who have spent years getting educated and know more about their field then 10 of those morons who show up at the meetings. Listening to the applause that people get for making ridiculous comment, but think they pointing the obviouse.

Its the same with those morons at save the view. save what view? the view to the refinery? And what tourist comes to this city to climb a hill to look at a view??

Im sorry im just frustrated, frustrated by the lack of leadership in this city, the pandering to the special interests who are doing nothing but ruining this city.

I think im just going to bury my head in the sand and be oblivious to everything that goes on this city. at least i wont be so frustrated all the time

fenwick16
Jun 19, 2010, 2:33 PM
your right i should have gone to the meeting however i dont live in the neighbourhood.

my comment certainly was in mature, however im just getting tired of listening to small mnded people who do nothing but sit and point fingers mockinly at the engineers who have spent years getting educated and know more about their field then 10 of those morons who show up at the meetings. Listening to the applause that people get for making ridiculous comment, but think they pointing the obviouse.

Its the same with those morons at save the view. save what view? the view to the refinery? And what tourist comes to this city to climb a hill to look at a view??

Im sorry im just frustrated, frustrated by the lack of leadership in this city, the pandering to the special interests who are doing nothing but ruining this city.

I think im just going to bury my head in the sand and be oblivious to everything that goes on this city. at least i wont be so frustrated all the time

I can understand your frustration. I would like to see things progress more quickly in the HRM. Having lived in the Toronto area for the past 30 years, I have gotten accustomed to seeing things move quickly (however, it isn't always good - example the Gardiner Expressway through downtown Toronto - it was built long before I moved up here).

In the case of rotaries, I think that is necessary for the traffic planners to figure out a safe way for pedestrians to cross before they will be widely accepted within the city.

terrynorthend
Jun 19, 2010, 9:48 PM
I could see something like that for the Willow Tree and Cogswell/North Park because they involve more than two streets intersecting.

Something else to note is that Columbus Circle is attractive and provides public space, not just empty grass. It is very similar to the Willow Tree in Halifax, which is also at the corner of a park. Columbus Circle, like the Willow Tree, involves an intersection of more than two streets (Broadway goes through there at an odd angle). Presumably Columbus Circle handles far more traffic than the Willow Tree - it was certainly busy when I was there.

I was thinking the very same thing! I'd gladly reserve my anti-roundabout judgements if they promised something like Columbus Circle outside my window at the Willow Tree. (so long as they resist the urge to plant a damn willow tree in the centre, or worse yet.. a giant metal lighthouse)!!

fenwick16
Jun 19, 2010, 9:53 PM

How does it accommodate pedestrian traffic?

tribeachpunk
Jun 19, 2010, 11:38 PM
Coming soon to HRM?

Charlottetown to hold roundabout training
Friday, June 18, 2010 | 7:22 PM AT

City officials in Charlottetown, P.E.I., will hold a traffic circle training school on Saturday morning to help ease anxiety about the new roundabouts being built across the city.

Instructors will help drivers learn the basic rules of traffic circles and allow them to practice on a mock course in the parking lot of the Charlottetown Mall. The training will run from 8 to 11 a.m.

Four traffic circles are being constructed in Charlottetown, with the first slated to open next week.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2010/06/18/pei-charlottetown-roundabout-school-584.html#ixzz0rLSoX0uv

Keith P.
Jun 20, 2010, 12:56 AM
There is traffic in Charlottetown? ;)

terrynorthend
Jun 20, 2010, 1:21 AM
There is traffic in Charlottetown? ;)

Getting ready for the Regis and Kelly rush. :P

terrynorthend
Jun 20, 2010, 1:26 AM
How does it accommodate pedestrian traffic?

From the look of the picture it funnels pedestrians along crosswalk "spokes" into the inner circle, around the monument. There is a traffic light at each crosswalk. I wonder if it is user-activated, or if they work on a timed cycle.

someone123
Jun 20, 2010, 2:01 AM
From the look of the picture it funnels pedestrians along crosswalk "spokes" into the inner circle, around the monument. There is a traffic light at each crosswalk. I wonder if it is user-activated, or if they work on a timed cycle.

It is timed for certain during the day and probably 24 hours. There's a tremendous amount of pedestrian traffic in that area and if there were a timer it would always be activated anyway.

I don't remember how it worked but I could see this working using the "scramble" approach where periodically you let all pedestrians go and then you let vehicles go either all at once or in stages. For pedestrians it looks much better to have them move directly into the centre of the circle. Not sure if they'd be able to cross in a single stage.

Another possibility would be pedestrian tunnels or overpasses but those rarely end up working well.

halifaxboyns
Jul 5, 2010, 12:40 AM
So I had to run to the Walmart super centre in Deerfoot Meadows (here in Calgary) to return on an item I purchased there and as I was getting ready to leave, heard there had been an accident on McLeod Trail - which is normally the way I go to get to Deerfoot Meadows (McLeod south to Heritage Drive and then east into the commercial area). Deerfoot Meadows for those of you who don't know it is where the Ikea store in Calgary is located, along with other big box retail.

I decided to take a bit of a different root and drive through Ramsay and then down Blackfoot Trail to avoid the traffic. When I was short cutting by the City of Calgary's water centre by the stampede site; I stumbled onto a new roundabout - that was built around a busy railway crossing. It was the coolest thing I'd seen; but alas I didn't have a camera. I won't be in the area for the next 9 days (given stampede); but as soon as I can get down there, I'll snap some photos.

Dmajackson
Aug 3, 2010, 2:49 AM
Not open to vehicular traffic yet (and not paved either) but here are some photos of the Larry Uteck @ Starboard roundabout in Bedford (near the new interchange). The photos are of the landscaping, nine mile drive, larry uteck drive west and staboard drive, respectively;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4855699616_e1b81b2faa_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4855701998_6719b4cf5f_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4855071075_044a435c52_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4855077193_6255f25b21_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Aug 31, 2010, 5:44 PM
I found a tutorial on how to use a roundabout on the PEI's government website. I think drivers in around Armdale need to see one of these;

http://www.gov.pe.ca/tir/roundabout/flash.php

halifaxboyns
Aug 31, 2010, 7:47 PM
I found a tutorial on how to use a roundabout on the PEI's government website. I think drivers in around Armdale need to see one of these;

http://www.gov.pe.ca/tir/roundabout/flash.php

Thanks for posting this - Alberta is going big on roundabouts and drivers here need the lesson. I showed it around the office; we had a good laugh. One of my coworkers asked me to email it to all Calgary drivers.

Keith P.
Sep 1, 2010, 8:56 PM
As a driver, i have yet to encounter a praiseworthy roundabout. I hate all of them.

Dmajackson
Jun 16, 2011, 10:06 PM
^Another one for you to test Keith P :P

Roundabout in Sackville set to open
Published on June 16, 2011
Yvette d'Entremont

The long-awaited Middle Sackville roundabout opens this week, and a public awareness campaign is now underway to ensure local drivers are comfortable navigating the roadway.
"Over the last couple of weeks the final layer of pavement was laid, the lines were drawn, and the roundabout's installed and waiting on final inspection," local MLA Mat Whynott said late last week. "We now want to get out our education piece for residents to know what to expect when the roundabout and the interchange are open."
The advertising campaign outlining how to use the interchange/roundabout is being rolled out over the next two weeks. Whynott said the roundabout was expected to open by the end of this week, with an official ribbon cutting slated for the near future.
Last weekend, a large advertisement appeared in a local newspaper, and two others are scheduled to appear in The Weekly News over the next two weeks. Whynott said the ads will provide information for residents who don't know how to use a roundabout.
"It is straightforward but it will take time for people to learn. These are new for the area, and a new thing for Nova Scotia," Whynott said. "I think it's probably a good thing we did wait until now to open it up because it could have added to people's safety concerns if we'd done it in the winter with uncertain weather."
In April, Whynott hosted an information meeting attended by 35 people. He has also addressed the issue in his newsletter, community column, and by directly calling residents who have expressed concerns to him.
He said the ads outline basic information about roundabouts and include a web address where residents can find additional diagrams and descriptions.
"This (interchange and roundabout) will ensure that people get to their destinations, whether it's the valley or Halifax, faster and more safely and it will create an opportunity for business to grow in the Middle and Upper Sackville area," he said.
Whynott believes the amount of traffic passing through the area surrounding the roundabout could prove attractive to a wide range of businesses.
He said despite misgivings some people may have about using the roadway, he's confident residents will get used to it, particularly when they experience a decrease in the traffic snarls that often plague the area.
The $22 million roundabout and off-ramp project benefitted from provincial dollars, federal infrastructure funding and a contribution from HRM.
"At the end of the day this is good for the community," Whynott said. "It's the largest investment any government has ever made to this area."
The provincial government's website provides detailed information about how to navigate roundabouts. It can be found at http://gov.ns.ca/tran/hottopics/roundabout.asp.

ydentremont@hfxnews.ca

Halifaxnewsnet Article (http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/News/2011-06-16/article-2590320/Roundabout-in-Sackville-set-to-open--/1)

Dmajackson
Jul 23, 2012, 4:36 AM
So I have driven all 8 functioning roundabouts in Metro Halifax on at least a couple of occasions now and I have to say they are awesome. While not every intersection is suitable for this type of improvement I think a lot more of these in strategic locations could help traffic flow a lot around Halifax.

In addition to the ones proposed for the Peninsula I think the Province is on track with considering them at ALL highway interchanges. At road-highway interchanges they should be on both sides with some exceptions (ie small demand for highway from road).

alps
Jul 23, 2012, 5:39 AM
I'm still strongly against the one proposed for the Willow Tree. I've driven through it at from every direction at all hours and I think a roundabout would mostly be a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Plus, speaking as someone who crossed there every day for years to get to school, the added distance to walk to the crosswalk, and the fact that traffic never HAS to come to a complete standstill, would be a major inconvenience and a hazard to the hundreds of students crossing there daily.

Walking through the Armdale rotary on the way to Chocolate Lake feels dangerous as hell and I would hate to have the same situation in the middle of the city, particularly when the current setup isn't that problematic anyway. It might be a little more efficient, but I've never waited there for too long and it isn't worth the cost to the pedestrian (or the financial cost for that matter.)

scooby074
Jul 23, 2012, 1:00 PM
Roundabouts work..... So long as everybody plays by the rules and yields to those currently in the circle.

Personally I love the new interest in roundabouts. They do move traffic along.

Keith P.
Jul 23, 2012, 1:40 PM
The ones up on Larry Uteck are ridiculously bad. They are too close to each other and too tight. Seems a foolish way to avoid the cost of signalized intersections.

Haliguy
Jul 23, 2012, 2:05 PM
The ones up on Larry Uteck are ridiculously bad. They are too close to each other and too tight. Seems a foolish way to avoid the cost of signalized intersections.

I think they work well for the area.

Haliguy
Jul 23, 2012, 2:07 PM
I'm still strongly against the one proposed for the Willow Tree. I've driven through it at from every direction at all hours and I think a roundabout would mostly be a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Plus, speaking as someone who crossed there every day for years to get to school, the added distance to walk to the crosswalk, and the fact that traffic never HAS to come to a complete standstill, would be a major inconvenience and a hazard to the hundreds of students crossing there daily.

Walking through the Armdale rotary on the way to Chocolate Lake feels dangerous as hell and I would hate to have the same situation in the middle of the city, particularly when the current setup isn't that problematic anyway. It might be a little more efficient, but I've never waited there for too long and it isn't worth the cost to the pedestrian (or the financial cost for that matter.)

I would agree that a round-about may not be the best solution for Quinpool and Robie but I do think there should be one at Cogswell and North Park St. Its almost setup like a round about now anyway.

scooby074
Jul 24, 2012, 12:34 AM
I think they work well for the area.

As do I.

These are the "new design" roundabouts. Nice and compact. No multi-acre monstrosities. They are the standard design that the government has been pushing.

Dmajackson
Jan 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
From Councillor Watt's community emails;

Roundabouts: Public Consultation

The intersections at Cunard/North Park/Agricola and Rainnie/Cogswell/North Park need to be upgraded. Neither of these intersections meets national transportation standards and both suffer from aging underground infrastructure, problematic traffic flow, frequent collisions and poor connectivity from street to street. These intersections are confusing to travel through, be it on foot, on bicycle, or in a vehicle. In 2010, Halifax Regional Council adopted in principle the use of modern roundabouts on municipal roads where appropriate design guidelines and standards can be met. The report is at: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/100511cow3.pdf

For further information go to: http://www.halifax.ca/Roundabouts/

In February and March 2013, HRM is planning to engage the various stakeholders in this area as well as the general public in two sessions. These sessions will invite input from stakeholders and citizens in order to shape the look and feel of a renewed public space at the intersections and along the North Park corridor. These groups will be given the opportunity to view the two options (roundabouts or upgraded traffic signals) and provide feedback. Further information will be provided once dates for consultation are confirmed.

Personally I am pleased to see roundabouts are still on the table. I don't mind the Cunard intersection much but the Cogswell intersection is a disaster. Installing new roundabouts here should help big time with traffic flow, safety, simplicity, and moving bicycles and pedestrians in a more efficient manner. Also with the planned bicycle lanes on Agricola Street roundabouts are a much safer way of moving cyclists around and ideas could be tossed around for upgrading the adjacent streets at the same time to include bike lanes or paths.

Keith P.
Jan 25, 2013, 1:09 AM
Oh, dear god...

Antigonish
Jan 25, 2013, 4:18 AM
Oh, dear god...

Agree. Whats with all the hype with roundabouts? :shrug:

someone123
Jan 25, 2013, 4:55 AM
I've seen examples where they work pretty well, and they seem naturally suited to intersections of more than two streets.

Roundabout or not, these intersections do need an overhaul. They look like they haven't changed since the 1940's and they're unpleasant for everybody, whether they're in a car or not.

I think all of Cogswell should be re-thought in preparation for the redevelopment of the interchange. The street was clearly designed to connect to a highway that was never built. It's ill-suited to pedestrians and in the future Cogswell and Brunswick is going to be a busy spot. It doesn't make sense to have a suburban-style arterial that connects with narrow streets in an area packed with high-density, pedestrian-oriented residential buildings.

NewBalearic
Jan 25, 2013, 12:26 PM
Roundabout or not, these intersections do need an overhaul. They look like they haven't changed since the 1940's and they're unpleasant for everybody, whether they're in a car or not.

I live a block away and walk thorugh the Cogswell/North Park intersection every day with my head on a swivel. At least once a week I witness a near miss, so something needs to happen. Just last week, a car almost ran into me pushing my son in his stroller. The driver didn't even notice...

Personally I think a roundabout could work if its done properly (narrower lanes, low speed limits, visible crosswalks, etc.)

toones
Jan 25, 2013, 3:13 PM
The intersection of Agricola-North Park-Cunard at the Armoury needs to be examined as well. I drive down Agricola every day. and it baffles me why the green light at Agricola (heading toward North Park) has to compete with inbound traffic coming from Cunard. It should be simple - Green light on Agricola, red light on Cunard. I'm afraid somebody is get hurt while rubber necking over their shoulder for traffic from Cunard and get rearended. There isn't even a yield sign, yet people will stop while merging... very dangerous.

As far as the proposed Roundabout... do we really need Rannie Drive? I mean you can get where you need to go downtown if you turn down Cogswell. It is already closed access with businesses only being right at Brunswick St. I think Rannie could be a good candidite for other uses (maybe as an extension of the common toward dowtown. Or like Victoria Park off Spring Garden.

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 25, 2013, 5:27 PM
I don't have a problem with roundabouts per se, but I'm not a fan of having 2+ lanes in small roundabouts as is the case with the ones on Larry Uteck. I've found that there seems to be no right answer as to which lane you choose to be in to make your chosen exit sometimes.

If you're going straight through it's a no brainer - choose the right lane and stay in it.

However, if you need to exit 270° from your entrance point it's all up in the air.
- Intuitively you would think that choosing the left lane to enter the circle and merging into the right lane to exit would be the best choice. However, now that motorists are becoming more familiar with roundabouts they are becoming less careful and more aggressive when driving through them. The situation results that often if you enter in the left lane at a "reasonable" speed somebody will try to pass you in the circle from the right lane. When it comes time to exit to the right you risk collision on the right side in the event that the passing car intends to continue around the circle in the right lane.
- If you enter in the right lane to avoid this situation, then you run the risk of somebody trying to pass you in the left lane but wanting to go straight (i.e. exit the circle from the left lane), again risking a collision situation.

I have witnessed near collisions due to both of these scenarios on several occasions in these roundabouts.

Solution: 1 lane only in small roundabouts to take away the option for aggressive/thoughtless motorists.

The Armdale roundabout works much better now that they've developed "roundabout" rules, I think, so multi lanes should be OK in the larger ones.

I really hope that they give a lot of thought to these before they act on them as they can really be a pain in some circumstances. Though I agree that some of these odd intersections with weird angles and 5 or more entrance points need a better solution than the current situation.

Dmajackson
Jan 28, 2013, 4:26 AM
I don't have a problem with roundabouts per se, but I'm not a fan of having 2+ lanes in small roundabouts as is the case with the ones on Larry Uteck. I've found that there seems to be no right answer as to which lane you choose to be in to make your chosen exit sometimes.

If you're going straight through it's a no brainer - choose the right lane and stay in it.

However, if you need to exit 270° from your entrance point it's all up in the air.
- Intuitively you would think that choosing the left lane to enter the circle and merging into the right lane to exit would be the best choice. However, now that motorists are becoming more familiar with roundabouts they are becoming less careful and more aggressive when driving through them. The situation results that often if you enter in the left lane at a "reasonable" speed somebody will try to pass you in the circle from the right lane. When it comes time to exit to the right you risk collision on the right side in the event that the passing car intends to continue around the circle in the right lane.
- If you enter in the right lane to avoid this situation, then you run the risk of somebody trying to pass you in the left lane but wanting to go straight (i.e. exit the circle from the left lane), again risking a collision situation.

Actually the way the Nine Mile/Starboard/Larry Uteck intersection is designed is for left-turns to only require the left-lane. You enter in the left-lane, turn into the left-lane and exit into the left-lane. There might still be some idiots who don't pay attention to the dotted lines but in the countless times I have used the intersection I've never had a problem with it. The way you do is also fine.

The Armdale roundabout works much better now that they've developed "roundabout" rules, I think, so multi lanes should be OK in the larger ones.

I really hope that they give a lot of thought to these before they act on them as they can really be a pain in some circumstances. Though I agree that some of these odd intersections with weird angles and 5 or more entrance points need a better solution than the current situation.

I agree that Armdale is a lot better now. Using proper rules seem to make it work very well besides a few minor problems. Mainly the problems are the afternoon queue on Chebucto & Joe Howe and the confusion of motorists merging into the roundabout from Herring Cove. However, that said for what is likely the busiest intersection east of Quebec City the roundabout works very well.

IMO considering the high number of intersections in Halifax that either involve 5+ approaches or unusual approach angles I can easily see the city getting dozens of "major"-style roundabouts.

You mention that a single-lane roundabout might work better in most spots. I do agree with you and if you want to experience a large single-lane roundabout there is on off of Magazine Hill at the DND interchange. I've used it a few times to U-turn to get back to Bedford (a lot safer and quicker than going through Sunnyside during rush-hour from the 101).

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 29, 2013, 3:54 PM
Actually the way the Nine Mile/Starboard/Larry Uteck intersection is designed is for left-turns to only require the left-lane. You enter in the left-lane, turn into the left-lane and exit into the left-lane. There might still be some idiots who don't pay attention to the dotted lines but in the countless times I have used the intersection I've never had a problem with it. The way you do is also fine.

I agree that Armdale is a lot better now. Using proper rules seem to make it work very well besides a few minor problems. Mainly the problems are the afternoon queue on Chebucto & Joe Howe and the confusion of motorists merging into the roundabout from Herring Cove. However, that said for what is likely the busiest intersection east of Quebec City the roundabout works very well.

IMO considering the high number of intersections in Halifax that either involve 5+ approaches or unusual approach angles I can easily see the city getting dozens of "major"-style roundabouts.

You mention that a single-lane roundabout might work better in most spots. I do agree with you and if you want to experience a large single-lane roundabout there is on off of Magazine Hill at the DND interchange. I've used it a few times to U-turn to get back to Bedford (a lot safer and quicker than going through Sunnyside during rush-hour from the 101).

Thanks for your insight - makes sense.

About the one on the Magazine Hill - just looked on Google Maps and couldn't find it.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=44.713897,-63.626826&spn=0.015706,0.030084&t=k&z=16

Dmajackson
Feb 6, 2013, 10:19 PM
You're invited... come help shape your city.

HRM wants you to provide input on this redesign. Think about the future of the North Park area. These changes will impact you and all the others who work, play, shop or live in the surrounding neighbourhoods as well as the commuters who pass through daily.

When: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 from 7-9 pm
Where: Olympic Community Centre, 2305 Hunter Street, Halifax

http://www.halifax.ca/shapeyourcity/

Dmajackson
Feb 14, 2013, 11:41 PM
There's an online survey for "Shape Your City: North Park Intersections". I filled one out and made sure to emphasize the need to balance the street between the three main modes of transportation (pedestrians, cars, and bicycles). This street is one of the few areas in HRM where all three are combined into a high-capacity corridor.

I also strongly recommended the installation of roundabouts at the intersections. :tup:

http://halifax.ca/surveys/