PDA

View Full Version : Planning Primer

RTWAP
Mar 19, 2010, 9:17 PM
https://ottawa.ca/residents/planning/primer/index_en.html

The Infrastructure Services and Community Sustainability Department is offering the Planning Primer Program to help residents become more aware of, and more involved in, the land-use planning process.

Planning Primer I

April 10 or April 12, 2010

Festival Plaza Control Room, Main Floor

City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West

8:30 a.m. to 12 noon
Planning Primer II

May 15 or May 17, 2010

Colonel By Room, Second Floor

City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West

8:30 a.m. to 12 noon

Registration is limited to 45 participants

Please E-mail to receive our e-newsletter notification to receive more information about the courses and upcoming 2010 dates.

The program is a series of half-day courses. The series includes two core courses and two elective courses.

The core courses, called Primer I and Primer II, describe the legislative and policy basis under which land-use planning decisions are made, the way policy documents are amended and how to make a development application.

To make the most of the information being presented, residents must attend the Primer I course before attending Primer II and attend both the Primer I and II courses before attending an elective course. Participants who attend Primer I and Primer II and two elective courses will receive a Certificate of Completion.

The program aims to:

* Build and maintain a strong working relationship and understanding between the City of Ottawa and communities
* Provide resources and teach skills to aid residents participating in the land-use planning process

image of people attending the course
Who is invited to attend?

All members of the public including developers, real estate agents, lawyers, builders and community representatives are invited to attend.

adam-machiavelli
Mar 19, 2010, 11:13 PM
I approve of this program as a tool for community activism so residents and other such stakeholders can make better planning arguments for community viability, as opposed to just parking issues.

Dado
Mar 19, 2010, 11:57 PM
But the courses are too infrequent and too limited in number of participants (though that wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the infrequency). One would think that it would be in the City's interest to have as many people pushed through these courses as possible. The electives are even less frequent.

Mille Sabords
Mar 20, 2010, 1:34 AM
But the courses are too infrequent and too limited in number of participants (though that wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the infrequency). One would think that it would be in the City's interest to have as many people pushed through these courses as possible. The electives are even less frequent.

whine whine whine whine

Dado
Mar 20, 2010, 2:49 AM
I take it you see little value in having more of the public be better informed of the planning process and some of the things that city policies are trying to achieve.

Pity.

adam-machiavelli
Mar 20, 2010, 5:15 AM
I'm concerned by the following statement:

"All members of the public including developers, real estate agents, lawyers, builders and community representatives are invited to attend."

Perhaps it's just semantic but community reps are placed last and developers are placed first.

Mille Sabords
Mar 22, 2010, 12:57 AM
I take it you see little value in having more of the public be better informed of the planning process and some of the things that city policies are trying to achieve.

Pity.

No, I take it that there just doesn't seem to be any pleasing some people despite all the best efforts and intentions that may be deployed.

Pity.