Floors: 6
Use(s): Residential
District: 9 (Albro Lake - Harbourview)
Year Completed:
Developer(s): Gary Hill
Architect(s): Innovative Architects
Notes:

April 12, 2010 Public information meeting
(Back-up meeting date in case of inclement weather is April 19)
Northbrook Community Centre, multi-purpose room
2 Chapman Street, Dartmouth - 7:00 p.m.

Case 15952 - Application by Innovation Architects Ltd. for lands of 3030558 Nova Scotia Limited to enter into a development agreement to permit a 6 storey multi-unit residential building on PIDs 00099689, 00099705, 00099721 and 00099739. The subject properties are located between Basinview Drive, Windmill Road and Wrights Cove (in the vicinity of the Dartmouth Yacht Club).

Keith P.
Mar 19, 2010, 9:14 PM
My god, why would anyone want to live in an apartment on that part of Windmill Road? Sure, on the backside you have the basin -- but on the street side you have one of the busiest arteries in the area. Hope it has a big setback and lots of screening from the street.

Dmajackson
Mar 21, 2010, 12:09 AM
My god, why would anyone want to live in an apartment on that part of Windmill Road? Sure, on the backside you have the basin -- but on the street side you have one of the busiest arteries in the area. Hope it has a big setback and lots of screening from the street.

Probably will be very well setback. He owns the four waterfront lots that stretch from Windmill Road to the end of Basinview Drive.

The five households on Basinview Drive will probably scream bloody murder over the proposal (like some did against Harbour Isle).

Given the layout of the lots I'd say an hockey stick shape building abutting the water with plenty of buffer space from Basinview Drive. The main entrance will probably face Windmill Road with a parking lot seperating them.

Really given the location the quality of the building does not matter in this case since it will not be visible from any viewpoint. All I can dream of is a path along the waterfront and HRM purchasing a few metres on Windmill Road for a bus lane and sidewalk (if they haven't already).

Dmajackson
Mar 26, 2010, 7:35 PM
Case 15952 Information Sheet (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/documents/Case15952FactSheetPIM.pdf)

Dmajackson
Apr 13, 2010, 8:35 PM
April 12th, 2010
Northbrook Commnity Centre
Dartmouth

Case: 15952
Attendance: 20-25 people

PROPERTY INFO:

PID(s) - 00099739, 00099721, 00099705, 00099689
Owner - Gary Hill
Legacy Builder(s) (same company responible for Legacy Court, Sack. See Suburban Dev. thread for photos)

BUILDING INFO:

10ft/fl X 5fl + 12ft pent = 62ft/19m
2fl underground parking (2'-22' elevation)
Footprint - 299' X 66'
Rectangular with slight curve
Roughly parallel to Basinview Dr
Suburban style design
Stucco brick and/or stone and/or precast concrete
Rental units (despite attempts no range given)

NON-BUILDING INFO:

Space allocated for future waterfront trail to south-east
12' width reserved for Windmill Road widening
Acess off of Windmill Rd
setback from Windmill Rd (required)
future commercial development
Infill with rock strengthened coast

CONCERNS (NMO):

Sunlight
Traffic
Views
Height
Infill
Compatibility
Wetland Impact
Infill

In addition to talk of the development itself there was talk of the Dartmouth Yacht Club infilling the tiny cove/swamp this property to expand their marina services.

Dmajackson
Apr 30, 2010, 7:58 PM
They now have the renderings and site plan up on the details page;

Case 15952 Details (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case15952Details.html)

macgregor
Apr 30, 2010, 8:09 PM
I see that the renderings were done by "Innovative Architects". I'd say that the design is anything but.

Keith P.
Apr 30, 2010, 9:22 PM
I see that the renderings were done by "Innovative Architects". I'd say that the design is anything but.

LOL... how true. It looks like every other low-rise apartment building built around here in the last 10 years. Horrid.

halifaxboyns
May 1, 2010, 9:05 AM
Wow - if I tried to send that through the Planning Commission here in Calgary; my bosses and the members would hand my ass to me. This would be a fail on epic levels.

Not that it already isn't. Wow; I lost track of the things I'd change.

Dmajackson
Aug 13, 2010, 2:35 PM
This is apparently going to be the fastest project to ever go through council ... Theres a public hearing scheduled for October 7th even though the PIM was only in April! (not a bad thing but just unusually fast).

fenwick16
Aug 13, 2010, 4:55 PM
This is apparently going to be the fastest project to ever go through council ... Theres a public hearing scheduled for October 7th even though the PIM was only in April! (not a bad thing but just unusually fast).

Why do the average projects get approved so quickly whereas the tall interesting ones drag on for years? PS: This is just a rhetorical question - I already know the answer.

Dmajackson
Sep 26, 2010, 4:09 AM
It’s bombs away for Burnside complex
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sat, Sep 25 - 4:53 AM

The builder of a Burnside Park area apartment complex has been ordered to sweep the property for unexploded bombs before starting construction.

"I must say I have never heard of such a thing, but it is the requirement, so of course I will comply," architect and developer K.J. Ghandi said in an interview Friday.

Halifax Regional Municipality requires a search for unexploded military ordnance for developments in the Wrights Cove area.

A staff report cites concern about unexploded ammunitions following an explosion in the 1940s at the nearby Magazine Hill military installation.

"It seems like a useless and futile exercise. If there was unexploded ordinance on the property it would surely have been detected by now," said Ghandi.

The developer’s proposal for a six-storey, 70-unit residential complex and adjacent commercial development, facing Windmill Road, goes to Harbour East community council for a public hearing on Oct. 4.

Ghandi said he was contacted by the military about the requirement for a sweep of the property and tentatively arranged to have it conducted prior to his anticipated Spring 2011 construction start.

He said he’s holding off on the bomb search until the project is approved.

Ghandi is an architect and his company, Innovation Architects, designed the development, and his other company, Legacy Home Builders Ltd., will handle construction at the site, located between Windmill Road, Basinview Drive and Wrights Cove.

Another significant development in Wrights Cove is also scheduled to move forward in the spring. Project manager Dan Dean said a search for unexploded ammunition was previously conducted at the site of the 12-storey residential complex, planned by Harbour Isle Halifax Incorporated.

"Just a small corner of our property is within the zone but we still had to search the entire for unexploded ordinance," he said.

Dean said the proximity of this proposed development to Bedford Basin also required an underwater search.

"A team of navy divers came in and they conducted a sweep of the area and gave it the all-clear," he said.

The Harbour Isle development has gone through several fits and starts over the years. In a previous incarnation it was known as Sheppards Island condominiums.

Dean said additional details of this latest development effort for the Windmill Road site were to be released in coming weeks.

"We’re not expecting any difficulties on this phase of development, as a 12-storey residential complex was previously approved," he said.

The developers of Harbour Isle recently completed a waterfront walkway at the site.

"This was to encourage people to come down and see the beauty of the location," said Dean.

( bpower@herald.ca )

Dmajackson
Oct 4, 2010, 4:11 PM
This goes for approval tonight at HECC. Seeing no major reason for rejection I think its safe to say it will be approved unanimously (unless the local residents have a few good points).

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 4, 2010, 11:32 PM
Its too tall, think of the children, the shadows will ruin the area, it will block the view, its uneconomical.

Spin the wheel of b/s reasons to be against any development!

Canadian_Bacon
Oct 5, 2010, 2:18 AM
Its too tall, think of the children, the shadows will ruin the area, it will block the view, its uneconomical.
Spin the wheel of b/s reasons to be against any development!

Yea, plants need sunlight to grow (it's called photosynthesis people, hello!), and so do the children... Won't somebody please THINK OF THE PLANTS AND THE CHILDREN!!!!!

Everyone knows we don't need buildings over 4 stories, and anything newer then the 70's. New buildings are just not feasible, or economical these days... You need 100 year old rotting buildings to be competitive in today's market. That's what brings businesses here, not fair development rules, business incentives etc. Lord knows that won't help.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 5, 2010, 5:09 AM
Yea, plants need sunlight to grow (it's called photosynthesis people, hello!), and so do the children... Won't somebody please THINK OF THE PLANTS AND THE CHILDREN!!!!!

Everyone knows we don't need buildings over 4 stories, and anything newer then the 70's. New buildings are just not feasible, or economical these days... You need 100 year old rotting buildings to be competitive in today's market. That's what brings businesses here, not fair development rules, business incentives etc. Lord knows that won't help.

these poor children, faced with the menace, no, spectre of evil developers... plotting to ruin our perfect litte town, cough, i mean city with their tall buildings.

and business... isn't there enough of it going on? why do we need our economy to grow? its evil too... and i don't completely understand it, but i'll be against it. we don't need any new jobs, toronto is the place for that. in fact, the whole generation y should be forced to move there because we don't want our population to grow because then where will we park? even though we are supposedly against cars... so get rid of them too. might as well just turn downtown into green space, because we don't have enough of that. lets get rid of electricity and running water while we are at it!

(the sarcasm game is fun... but alot of our comments aren't far from the reality of what we hear from the NIMBYS and obstructionists)

I remember one guy saying "we are the old generation so we will stop all development" in reference to the original 16 story 6955 bayers proposal.

NEWSFLASH THERE BUDDY, i'm part of that generation y getting screwed out of halifax... and when we all come back (with money), we plan to build towers... Boo yah!

Dmajackson
Oct 5, 2010, 1:34 PM
Not to interrupt the sarcasm going on but it is confirmed that this project was APPROVED last night.

Only a few people (mostly with the last name of Shoemaker I beleive) have any chance of appealing the project so there is a small chance NSUARB will have the final say on the project.

halifaxboyns
Oct 5, 2010, 2:57 PM
Apartments slated for Dartmouth waterfront
Homeowners in Wright's Cove not happy
Last Updated: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 | 9:47 AM AT Comments7Recommend3CBC News
Developers have cleared a hurdle for a 70-unit apartment building on the Dartmouth waterfront, near the busy Burnside industrial park.

The Harbour East community council approved the proposal in a 3-2 vote Monday.

The six-storey building is slated for Wright's Cove, across from the Dartmouth Yacht Club. The driveway would merge with Windmill Road, one of the area's busiest commuter routes.

The original plan called for a 12-storey complex, but it was eventually shrunk to six floors.

Even so, the municipal councillor for the area, Jim Smith, argued the development doesn't fit with the handful of houses that are there now. He voted against the plan.

"If there weren't some small residential homes there then it probably wouldn't be an issue," he said. "To me, I still don't think it's compatible with those three or four homes."

Homeowner Ed Schumacher doesn't want a 70-unit apartment complex in his neighbourhood.

"You're talking a 100-foot-high building in my backyard. There's huge privacy issues. It's not just my backyard, it's my next-door neighbour's backyard and any potential next-door neighbours," he said.

Schumacher is also worried about the potential traffic tie-ups, particularly during the morning rush hour. He said he believes the issue wasn't thoroughly considered.

Homeowners say they hope to appeal the council's decision to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/10/05/ns-dartmouth-apartment-waterfront.html#ixzz11Uqs0JFf

Dmajackson
Oct 7, 2010, 4:38 PM
Not really notable but two ammendments were added to the DA. One has to do with the start of construction and the other has to do with privacy issues local residents were concerned about.

1. that Item 7.3.1 "In the event that development on the Lands has not commenced within 5 years..." be changed to "In the event that development on the Lands has not commenced within 2 years..."

2. the opaque screen to adjacent properties must consist of a six foot tall solid board opaque wood fence

P.S. thanks Someone123 for updating the thread titles. :tup:

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 8, 2010, 4:55 AM
lol, i thought it was a bit of a stretch with my sarcasm above.

These people are really complaining about a 6 story building, bhahahahahahahahahahhahaha. I can't even believe what I'm reading.

What a joke...

Keith P.
Oct 8, 2010, 12:37 PM
Son of Godzilla (the new convention center), perhaps. We're being overrun by monsters!

Dmajackson
Nov 6, 2010, 2:36 AM
Burnside News - Two Year Rstriction Placed On Apartment Project (http://www.burnsidenews.com/Business/2010-11-01/article-1916086/Two-year-restriction-placed-on-apartment-project/1)

I'm still very much split on this project especially now that HRM has stated it can't use the easement for a future boardwalk. When the site plan first came out that was one of the few points that I liked about it.

Dmajackson
Nov 26, 2010, 8:01 PM
Article in the Chronicle Herald today stating the commerical business near this proposal has appealed the decision of council. Two local residents also did but on the commercial business has been allowed an appeal hearing set for late January.

hoser111
Nov 26, 2010, 8:13 PM
Article in the Chronicle Herald today stating the commerical business near this proposal has appealed the decision of council. Two local residents also did but on the commercial business has been allowed an appeal hearing set for late January.

Indeed... and the strength of their argument is Vitamin D deprivation?? Gimme a break.....

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1214053.html

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 26, 2010, 8:30 PM
"the development won’t be good for children."

Its hard for me to even fathom that this sort of thing is printed in the news.

... and how can a 6 story building cast any significant sized shadow??? There are 4-5 story buildings across the street and a shady motel from what I remember.

Laughable.

fenwick16
Nov 26, 2010, 9:01 PM
Indeed... and the strength of their argument is Vitamin D deprivation?? Gimme a break.....

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1214053.html

:haha: Somebody actually used such an argument! Somebody should inform the Save the View group about that strategy - they have tried everything else.

halifaxboyns
Nov 26, 2010, 9:06 PM
:haha: Somebody actually used such an argument! Somebody should inform the Save the View group about that strategy - they have tried everything else.

Oh for godsake don't give them ideas! :) Oh good my comments made it into the comment section of the article before they close the comments down.

I don't know what it is with the herald but as soon as people start talking about the issue and really getting into the argument, they shut it down!

Waye Mason
Nov 27, 2010, 5:57 PM
LOL... how true. It looks like every other low-rise apartment building built around here in the last 10 years. Horrid.

And then it will not even have brick or cinder blocks, it will end up being pink poured concrete or bolt on fake stonework. God help us.

Dmajackson
Jan 10, 2011, 7:26 PM
Meant to post this a while back but the appeal has been dropped so this is clear to go ahead.

Dmajackson
May 13, 2011, 12:09 AM
Saw some activity on the site today. Couldn't get a good look since I was across the street (some six lanes of highway) but it looked like survey crews.

Dmajackson
May 15, 2011, 2:29 AM
Got some photos last night;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/5718456071_72f4ed5944_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/5719018716_5493fa1ecc_z.jpg

fenwick16
May 15, 2011, 2:47 AM
:previous: That looks like a scenic site. I can see some people, especially boating enthusiasts, wanting to live there.

Dmajackson
Jun 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
Construction equipment is back on site. Snapped this today on my commute. All of the land near Windmill was flat by the time I went by again:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/5858105815_bf7b313032_z.jpg
Photo by me :)

Dmajackson
Jun 29, 2011, 5:37 AM
Work is getting serious on this site now. There were a good half a dozen dump trucks there this afternoon along with a lot of excavators and rollers. They should be pouring the foundation soon.

Dmajackson
Jul 12, 2011, 4:50 AM
Land is prepped. There is some placers in for foundation pouring (Photo 1), all of the trees are cleared off from all but the buffer area (Photo 2), and the slope of the driveway is shown while the commercial portion is levelled off (Photo 3). All photos by me;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/5929164698_0cee987eaf_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/5929167450_be097b10fe_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/5929169806_7727a43bb7_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Jul 16, 2011, 6:23 PM
Work is getting serious on this site now. There were a good half a dozen dump trucks there this afternoon along with a lot of excavators and rollers. They should be pouring the foundation soon.

Well at least I'm not eating my words this time (all photos by me during one of my commutes this week):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5943847090_7643b237ca_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/5943850314_397ea0d6ac_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/5943299163_fe2b3e19d8_z.jpg

fenwick16
Jul 16, 2011, 7:23 PM
Well at least I'm not eating my words this time (all photos by me during one of my commutes this week):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/5943850314_397ea0d6ac_z.jpg

These are impressive looking blocks. I assume these are for a retaining wall??

It is good to see this project moving forward.

PS: Based on your development map ( http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112449274347342063981.00048f3771cc1cfcd56a8&ll=44.689647,-63.555565&spn=0.10837,0.3368&z=12 ), this is just a few blocks from the Harbour Isle 13 story tower that was approved. Hopefully we will see some work start on that one this year also.

Dmajackson
Jul 19, 2011, 1:50 AM

It is good to see this project moving forward.

PS: Based on your development map ( http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112449274347342063981.00048f3771cc1cfcd56a8&ll=44.689647,-63.555565&spn=0.10837,0.3368&z=12 ), this is just a few blocks from the Harbour Isle 13 story tower that was approved. Hopefully we will see some work start on that one this year also.

They have another group of these near the "point" so I'm guessing they are for a retaining wall. The developer did state at the PIM the land would be raised and protected from rising sea levels so this must be how they plan to do that.

There's been no movement on the Harbour Isle site lately. The last I saw were some surveyors but that was a month or more ago. I hate correcting people but these two projects are on the same block really (burnside sized blocks remember).

PS I peeked over this evening on my commute and there are crane sections on site now.

kph06
Jul 19, 2011, 2:00 AM
PS I peeked over this evening on my commute and there are crane sections on site now.

White ones? I could see the Trillium ones getting shipped over here.

Dmajackson
Jul 19, 2011, 4:42 AM

No the segment I seen was orange in colour. It looked something like the second crane at the RCMP project. I'll see if I can grab a photo sometime this week.

Dmajackson
Jul 22, 2011, 6:36 AM

Yes. Here's a shot from the Harbour Isle site (photo by me);

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6028/5963465148_c71393b607_z.jpg

As promised here's a photo (by me);

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6029/5962906359_7468460c95_z.jpg

fenwick16
Jul 22, 2011, 8:39 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures. It is interesting that they are changing the ground floor elevation to compensate for future increases in the water level (good work digging for information). You are really dedicated to HRM area developments; hopefully it will be beneficial for you and the community in the future.

Dmajackson
Aug 7, 2011, 3:25 AM
^ Thanks Fenwick! :)

Crews are working on this site at least five days a week so as a result the pace is very impressive. The retaining wall is almost complete, concrete is being poured for the parking level walls, and the base is in for the crane. Anyways here's some photos;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/6016666264_60daa96b59_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/6016112079_369511f014_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6017/6016109187_fc7a99ebe9_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6144/6016658606_1781cbce0b_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6009/6016656190_c5fd93cd3f_z.jpg

fenwick16
Aug 7, 2011, 3:54 AM
I am very impressed by that retaining wall.

That site looks like a great location for sailing enthusiasts.

Jstaleness
Aug 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
Tower Crane was started today. Should be finished tomorrow. Building might be visible coming in from Magazine.

Jstaleness
Aug 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
Can a mod please change this Thread to U/C

FuzzyWuz
Aug 18, 2011, 9:49 PM
Can a mod please change this Thread to U/C

oops. my mistake.

Dmajackson
Aug 19, 2011, 11:13 PM
Photo from some obscure side street in Burnside (by me of course);

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6061/6060015763_a3c91f8684_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Aug 28, 2011, 5:03 AM
Basement walls are well underway;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6183/6088029322_dd4575b047_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6086/6087487031_9aa5ff5079_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6202/6088034268_0b98b0cbbb_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Sep 4, 2011, 10:09 PM
Labour Day week update;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6201/6114201222_74d4f71d08_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Sep 13, 2011, 6:19 AM
Your weekly update ladies and gentlemen :)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6142554287_6c398299c0_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6142556759_d2c2d970d7_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Dec 17, 2011, 7:03 AM
So this project has a name now; The Oceanfront Riviera Luxury Apartments

Now while that is soaking in here are some facts about the area;

- This is located on the busiest road in Nova Scotia
- It is in a business park near the heavy industrial section
- There are only a few houses nearby most of which appear to be lower-end
- It is in Wright's Cove which is the least up kept part of the harbor
- There are no residential services for kilometres (Highfield Park)
- It's neighbour is a pay-by-the-hour motel well known for its "working ladies"

So my question for the developers is this; Were doing business in the neighbouring building when you decided luxury would go well with Burnside?

BTW The Website (http://www.rivieraapartments.ca/index.html) is now functional and they are working on the third floor with foundations being poured for the curved section along the cove.

wackypacky
Dec 17, 2011, 7:22 AM

So my question for the developers is this; Were doing business in the neighbouring building when you decided luxury would go well with Burnside?

BTW The Website (http://www.rivieraapartments.ca/index.html) is now functional and they are working on the third floor with foundations being poured for the curved section along the cove.

I can see them getting a few units rented based on the yacht club being nearby and the water frontage of course, but that's about all it has going for it. 24 hour McDicks just down the street might peak someones interest.

pblaauw
Dec 17, 2011, 7:34 AM

That location is about as "oceanfront" as Africville is a place where the sea can be viewed. ("Seaview Memorial Park"?!)

fenwick16
Dec 17, 2011, 11:48 AM

These are all good reasons to raise the level of the neighbourhood. If they raise the level then possibly someone will buy and redevelop the pay-by-the-hour motel. Other higher level projects might then be enticed to locate there.

Having a yacht club close by is a selling point for sailing enthusiasts. And it really is on the ocean.

Personally, I think having "luxury" in the building name is kind of tacky, however, I think this will be a desirable area for some people. (I would also take Riviera out of the title, since it sounds redundant with Oceanfront already in the title).

Jstaleness
Dec 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
I like the over-sized balconies and the building isn't all that ugly to me. The building does look very squashed, similar to the ones in Russel Lake.

I pulled the render of their website.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/Burnside.jpg

Keith P.
Dec 18, 2011, 1:48 AM
This generic style of short, sprawly apartment and condo infests HRM and has resulted in an epidemic of poor, uninspired design. The overall design idiom in this town is really pedestrian right now. Every building is pretty much the same.

wackypacky
Dec 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
This generic style of short, sprawly apartment and condo infests HRM and has resulted in an epidemic of poor, uninspired design. The overall design idiom in this town is really pedestrian right now. Every building is pretty much the same.

the cars look nice

halifaxboyns
Dec 18, 2011, 8:41 PM
In every city where you attempt to start changing places; you'll run into the same problems as this site (with a 'no tell motel' next door).

The design is rather boring honestly; I would've liked to have seen a taller building in the 8 to 10 storey range, but that's me.

Jstaleness
Dec 20, 2011, 2:23 PM
:previous: Not just you. I wanted that too.

halifaxboyns
Dec 20, 2011, 3:50 PM
:previous: Not just you. I wanted that too.

I'm sure quite a few had hoped for that...I think developers should start super tall and then work down - that way we'd at least get average height lol.

kph06
Jan 14, 2012, 10:14 PM
Construction is now on the 3rd or 4th floor, which is pretty good considering work was going at a snails pace in the summer and fall.

Dmajackson
Jan 31, 2012, 1:35 AM
Just a quickie from Saturday (See My Flickr Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75563463@N02/) for more pictures);

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6792833779_ccbc05fc80_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Feb 2, 2012, 4:27 AM
Bomb search delayed construction start
February 1, 2012 - 7:58pm BY REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

The discovery of several unexploded bombs pushed back the start of construction of a project near Burnside Park in Dartmouth last year.

Work on the Riviera, a six-storey, 70-unit luxury apartment building located between Windmill Road, Basinview Drive and Wrights Cove, was originally slated to start in the spring but was pushed back to July.

That is because the military stepped in to search the property for unexploded ammunitions, as required by Halifax Regional Municipality for new developments in the Wrights Cove area.

“That’s the reason we started in July, because in April and May, and part of June, the military was exploring the area,” said architect and developer K.J. Gandhi. “They kind of combed through minutely with their advanced technology for any unexploded ordnances and, as a matter of fact, they found four (of them) on the site.”

Construction of the building has been on schedule since the start, and occupancy is expected for September. Work on finishing the concrete structure is in its final stages.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

I'm sure the military also found plenty of used needles and adult materials from the motel users next door. :P

Dmajackson
Feb 19, 2012, 7:57 PM
From yesterday (Urban_Halifax @ flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75563463@N02/))

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6904513965_775e245182_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/6904516759_318fed51ac_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6904520883_54ea613cf8_z.jpg

Aya_Akai
Sep 3, 2012, 3:17 AM
Just figured I'd stick this here- This site was featured on an episode of History Channel's "Bomb Hunters" it's about a couple Canadian teams that go around the country on contract searching and disposing of unexploded ordinance.. kinda neat to see something so close to home on a show like this. lol

Dmajackson
Dec 7, 2012, 10:46 PM
This building is now COMPLETED. Apartments are being leased for occupancy this month.

Riviera Apartments (http://www.rivieraapartments.ca/index.html)

Moderators I suggest a name change and status update;

[Dartmouth] Oceanfront Riviera Apartments | 19 m | 6 fl | Completed

Dmajackson
Jan 5, 2013, 8:03 AM
This project should be updated to COMPLETED:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8050/8349121840_48f71843eb_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8348063151_a5ba839ec3_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8501/8348062917_4736d25f97_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8093/8348062595_84009557ac_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8364/8349120786_d5cd9ca4bc_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8349120466_1268cf1766_c.jpg

All photos taken by me :)

fenwick16
Jan 5, 2013, 2:12 PM
This project should be updated to COMPLETED:

All photos taken by me :)

This looks quite good. Thanks for the pictures.

cormiermax
Jan 5, 2013, 2:43 PM
Great pictures, bad building. :haha:

Wishblade
Jan 5, 2013, 3:35 PM
You have to admit though, those corner balconies are pretty nice.

cormiermax
Jan 5, 2013, 6:00 PM
You have to admit though, those corner balconies are pretty nice.

They are somewhat interesting, but its only lipstick on a pig.

CdnEh
Jan 5, 2013, 6:30 PM
Lawd. Those overhead power lines need to go.

visualman57
Jan 5, 2013, 10:32 PM
great pictures, but that building seems to have no redeeming qualities other that that it filled an empty, ugly spot.