PDA

View Full Version : Architecture Plans for Condominium

kmcma076
Feb 27, 2010, 1:15 AM
I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. What would the range of costs (low to high) for architecture plans be for a large scale development (lets say a 20 storey condo). Obviously there are so many variables, but I'm trying to comprehend why some developments seem to "cheap out" on this - it seems like such an important investment. My case in point is Beacon Place by Pheonix Homes. I tried to find pictures of it today - but the information was taken down from their website, I'm not sure what's going on there. They are/were supposed to break ground in the summer I believe. I wonder if they have put it on hold. In my opinion they are so far off the mark on this project with the design - in particular the angled wall with several square windows in it. Anyways - any insight would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Proof Sheet
Feb 27, 2010, 1:22 AM
I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. What would the range of costs (low to high) for architecture plans be for a large scale development (lets say a 20 storey condo).

Its not the plans that cost the huge amount...it is the level of finishes, construction materials and quantities, cost of land, cost of any on site cleanup, fees to the City etc, that drive up the cost of a unit. An architect or engineer can specify the cheapest quality materials versus the most expensive and, in general, the cost to the client is the same from the architect or engineer.

kmcma076
Feb 27, 2010, 1:51 AM
Its not the plans that cost the huge amount...it is the level of finishes, construction materials and quantities, cost of land, cost of any on site cleanup, fees to the City etc, that drive up the cost of a unit. An architect or engineer can specify the cheapest quality materials versus the most expensive and, in general, the cost to the client is the same from the architect or engineer.

I realize those other costs are much higher than the architecture & engineering plans - but what is the range in costs from using a less experienced architect vs. a well known architect. In Ottawa, for example, how much extra would it cost to have Barry Hobin design a condo someone that is not well known?

blackjagger
Mar 2, 2010, 4:11 PM
I'd be interested to know this too. In ICI construction general rule of thumb would be 1.5-2.5% of the contract would be the cost of the architectural package, including consultants (mech/elect, structural, landscaping, etc.), tendering and general management of the project on the client side. The cost of just the design of the building would be hidden in those costs. So what the cost would be a top architect? I don't know it would be interesting to find out.

Cheers,
Josh

Mille Sabords
Mar 3, 2010, 2:16 AM
My case in point is Beacon Place by Pheonix Homes. I tried to find pictures of it today - but the information was taken down from their website, I'm not sure what's going on there. They are/were supposed to break ground in the summer I believe. I wonder if they have put it on hold. In my opinion they are so far off the mark on this project with the design - in particular the angled wall with several square windows in it. Anyways - any insight would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Beacon Place... man, that's like the Pontiac Aztec of condos!

Proof Sheet
Mar 3, 2010, 3:25 AM
Beacon Place... man, that's like the Pontiac Aztec of condos!

Good one...if that is the Aztec what would the Avalanche of condos be...or the DS21.

kmcma076
Mar 17, 2010, 2:16 AM
Well, it looks like the cost of not investing in quality architect plans and design costs a lot more than doing it right the first time - Beacon Place is no longer. They are re-designing the site. I wonder how much money was wasted on the design and sales process. Here's hoping they come up with a better look, it can't get worse anyways.