PDA

View Full Version : Southgate...what should be expected?

Davis137
Jan 27, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hey everyone...

My wife and I grew tired of, and outgrew our apartment near tunney's, and we went searching for real estate earlier this month. We ended up buying a mid-late 80's condo strata down in the Southgate area (we're near Albion and Cahill).

I was wondering if there's info about this neighbourhood that anyone can provide me with that I can't find on the city website or Dianne Deans' website. Is there issue with things not getting addressed or done around here? Problems with bylaws or with crime?

I can't imagine this neighbourhood being any worse than where we live now for example: Living within 250M of a beerstore is entertaining...in terms of seeing all the alkies and druggies finding ANY means they can think of to acquire or transport beer, or empty beer/liqour products to get enough pocket change to buy more (if they put that much drive into finding and keeping a stable job, they'd be rich!). There's also issues with people trying to break into our vehicles, into the common basement of our triplex and trying to drill out the coin boxes on the laundry machines, etc.

We'll be moving next month, and are looking forward to owning our first home together, and it'll be a larger, and hopefully safer place to raise our daughter.

L8tz!

lrt's friend
Jan 27, 2010, 3:28 AM
Hey everyone...

My wife and I grew tired of, and outgrew our apartment near tunney's, and we went searching for real estate earlier this month. We ended up buying a mid-late 80's condo strata down in the Southgate area (we're near Albion and Cahill).

I was wondering if there's info about this neighbourhood that anyone can provide me with that I can't find on the city website or Dianne Deans' website. Is there issue with things not getting addressed or done around here? Problems with bylaws or with crime?

I can't imagine this neighbourhood being any worse than where we live now for example: Living within 250M of a beerstore is entertaining...in terms of seeing all the alkies and druggies finding ANY means they can think of to acquire or transport beer, or empty beer/liqour products to get enough pocket change to buy more (if they put that much drive into finding and keeping a stable job, they'd be rich!). There's also issues with people trying to break into our vehicles, into the common basement of our triplex and trying to drill out the coin boxes on the laundry machines, etc.

We'll be moving next month, and are looking forward to owning our first home together, and it'll be a larger, and hopefully safer place to raise our daughter.

L8tz!

I live about a 2 minute drive from there and I have an aunt, uncle, cousin, co-worker and former boss who live in the neighbourhood. I haven't heard of any serious problems except some drainage issues in certain locations. That appears to affect newly built houses. It seems to be a pretty quiet middle-class area. The pathway system that runs through Greenboro is nice and the dog walking area at Conroy Pit is very popular if you have a dog. I believe they also still tobaggon there as well. The biggest concerns about crime have been around South Keys Shopping Centre and at Ledbury on the other side of the railway tracks. Both seem to have subsided considerably and there was a recent news story about how the Ledbury community has improved.

Davis137
Jan 27, 2010, 5:55 PM
I like the fact that the Greenboro Daycare center is across the road from us (well, sort of), that there's a Works restaurant closeby, as well as the 24 Hr Metro and Shoppers at the southgate plaza, etc.

Yeah, I have a dog and I've been to Conroy...I'm looking forward to exploring more around the area, and seeing what I can find in terms of good local restaurants and shops.

lrt's friend
Jan 27, 2010, 7:08 PM
Sorry, I am a bit bad with restaurant names but a few suggestions. And, yes I am happy that the Works just opened before Christmas.

Mr. B's next to the Southway Inn always serves good Italian food. There are also little Thai and Indian restaurants in the same strip mall that are worth a try.

There is a Vietnamese restaurant in the plaza at Bank and Hunt Club behind Tucsons and Harveys.

I like the Greek restaurant that opened where Giant Tiger and Farm Boy is on Bank Street in Blossom Park.

There is a nice Chinese restaurant in the plaza on Lorry Greenberg at Conroy.

For pizza take out, you might try Hungry Sammy's on Bridle Path.

For seafood, the Pelican Grill, a little further into town in the Blue Heron Mall (between Billings Bridge and Heron Road). Colonade Pizza is also there. Sweet Basil Thai Restaurant is good at Bank and Heron.

Aiyara Thai Restaurant on Walkley, next to Robbie's Spaghetti House is very good. My favourite pizza is from Robbie's, but my tastes may be different from others.

gjhall
Jan 28, 2010, 4:19 AM
Sorry, I am a bit bad with restaurant names but a few suggestions. And, yes I am happy that the Works just opened before Christmas.

Mr. B's next to the Southway Inn always serves good Italian food. There are also little Thai and Indian restaurants in the same strip mall that are worth a try.

There is a Vietnamese restaurant in the plaza at Bank and Hunt Club behind Tucsons and Harveys.

I like the Greek restaurant that opened where Giant Tiger and Farm Boy is on Bank Street in Blossom Park.

There is a nice Chinese restaurant in the plaza on Lorry Greenberg at Conroy.

For pizza take out, you might try Hungry Sammy's on Bridle Path.

For seafood, the Pelican Grill, a little further into town in the Blue Heron Mall (between Billings Bridge and Heron Road). Colonade Pizza is also there. Sweet Basil Thai Restaurant is good at Bank and Heron.

Aiyara Thai Restaurant on Walkley, next to Robbie's Spaghetti House is very good. My favourite pizza is from Robbie's, but my tastes may be different from others.

Ah, you scooped me on mr b's - that's a true classic. There's also a little Indian place in the same plaza that looks bad but tastes great - can't remember the name though.

Davis137
Jan 31, 2010, 1:35 AM
Oh yeah, I like the fact that it's close to Tuscon's too...wife and I went there last night to eat because everywhere else around south keys was crzy busy.

We've been there before, and like their wings and a couple of other things. I'm also a fan of the fact that they serve Fosters on tap there.

L8tz!

Davis137
Mar 13, 2010, 6:48 PM
Ok, I love Garbriels pizza...we've ordered from there like 3 times recently, and it was friggin fantastic! Puts Pizza Pizza to shame, easily.

Besides there, we've not really tried anywhere new yet. I've discovered that the Mick Dicks on the corner of Lorry Greenburg and Huntclub don't serve any Angus burgers, just the normal stuff.

I was wondering though if anyone knows if the Pub that's at the greenboro plaza is any good? I think it's called O'Grady's Outpost, or something like that. Does it serve beer that's NOT creek water?

Thanks for the input and advice so far everyone, keep it coming!

gjhall
Mar 13, 2010, 10:23 PM
I'm a BIG fan of O'Grady's. I don't live in the south end anymore, but this is a quality pub - always an interesting mix of people and the owner is in the bar and a great guy. Some good beers and food too.

Davis137
Mar 29, 2010, 4:30 PM
Well, I guess I should have expected some badniks around here...saw in the Citizen that the areas south of Cahill leave some to be desired in terms of neighbours...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Police+investigate+gunfire+near+South+Keys/2725476/story.html

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Hail+bullets+shatters+calm+housing+project/2727301/story.html

It's great that I live right near here. Guess it's time to update the door locks and stuff...and here I was thinking we were moving AWAY from a neighbourhood with lots of shady and unruly people...sigh...

Actually, the immediate are where I am is great, lots of mature families, and many neighbours have lived in these condo's for almost 20 years now. So, no worries as far as they go. They even seem to like my Rottie too (good deterrent for people entering the house unchallenged).

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the warmer weather expected to start the end of this week, and see what the Greenboro/South Keys areas look like with the trees and everything coming out in bloom.

L8tz