PDA

View Full Version : 2030 Commonwealth Games?

Pages : [1] 2

SteelTown
Jan 18, 2010, 12:12 PM
2015 Pan Am facilities ripe for centenary Games in city

January 18, 2010
John Kernaghan
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/706979

It's a long way off, but a centenary Commonwealth Games for Hamilton in 2030 was on sports organizers' minds over the weekend.

Commonwealth Games Canada (CGC) sees an opportunity to celebrate the birth of the Games, known as the British Empire Games when Hamilton spawned them in 1930, by using the 2015 Pan Am Games as a platform.

"We should be poised to take advantage of the legacy of the Pan Am Games," said CGC president Dr. Andrew Pipe following the sports body's annual general meeting.

"It would mean double the value of the investment you make for 2015."

He cited the $170 million in sports and recreation infrastructure slated for Hamilton and Burlington.

Those facilities, which include a major stadium, pool at McMaster University, world championship-calibre cycling track and a $23-million soccer centre, could still be used 15 years later.

Pipe said the CGC is first looking at 2022 for a Games in Canada, but the special circumstances of the 100th anniversary for Hamilton could mean hosting two sets of Games eight years apart.

"It's hypothetical if you could run both in the same region, but that could be explored strategically."

After Hamilton's original version, three other Commonwealth Games in Canada were staged in Alberta and British Columbia.

Michael Fennell, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said Canada should be hosting more Games and noted the 2030 version is a special occasion.

"Canada has proven it has the expertise and resources to stage major Games, whether it is the Olympics or Commonwealth Games. It should do more."

He addressed security concerns for the 2010 Games in New Delhi, telling CGC members yesterday his organization has hired a security consultant to advise it on preparations for the events in India next October.

New Delhi defeated Hamilton in the 2003 competition to stage the Games.

"We live in a crazy world," he noted, but added many nations, including Canada, are helping the Indian and New Delhi security apparatus prepare for the 10-day sports showcase.

holymoly
Jan 18, 2010, 2:13 PM
That would be awesome.

As long as it isn't used as an excuse to delay LRT to 2029, lol.

SteelTown
Jan 18, 2010, 10:41 PM
By 2030 A and B-Line should be well into service. The T-Line would probably be an issue by that time, think that's the line connecting B and A-Line from Limeridge Mall to Meadowlands.

DHLawrence
Jan 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
If any Commonwealth Games bid from Hamilton made sense, this is the one. I still think the 1996 Olympics should have gone to Athens automatically.

Dalreg
Apr 2, 2010, 7:20 AM
Maybe the 2018 games? Looks like the only serious bid is from the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Go for it?

SteelTown
Aug 31, 2017, 1:24 PM
After hosting 1st games in 1930, should Hamilton bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games?
'I'm certainly keen': Mayor Fred Eisenberger

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/commonwealth-games-2030-1.4269193

he people who think far ahead about these things are beginning to talk about Hamilton as a host city for the Commonwealth Games in 2030.

It would mark 100 years since Hamilton hosted the first version of the games, then known as the British Empire Games.

The Civic Stadium, later Ivor Wynne, where Tim Hortons Field now stands, was the original athletes village, pool and track and field stadium.

"It's somewhat premature to use the word 'bid'," said Greg Maychak, who works for the city's public works department and also serves as a member-at-large at Commonwealth Games Canada.

But, he said, city staff are working on a preliminary report to present to city council members next week, awaiting councillors' direction to explore or investigate what that would look like.

"There's some logic to hosting the 100th anniversary of those games," said Mayor Fred Eisenberger. "I'm certainly keen on doing that."

'The 2030 Games would surely go to Hamilton'

Eisenberger emphasized that his colleagues on city council would have to sign off on the idea, but said "there are certainly a lot of good emotional reasons" to host it here, where a Hamiltonian invented it.

"I would think the organizing committees would be pretty keen on having it come back to Hamilton where it started."

Elsewhere, at least some eyes are on Hamilton for Canada's chosen city for a 2030 bid. On the heels of a failed 2022 bid, the Commonwealth Games Federation encouraged Victoria bid organizers to look at 2030.

But David Black, the bid organizer in Victoria, told the Victoria Times-Colonist he doubted they'd stand a chance for federal support against Hamilton.

There's sentimental value attached to the chance for a special centennial celebration in the place the games began.

"Victoria 2030 would be great. But the 2030 Games would surely go to Hamilton," he told the newspaper.

Hamilton would have some wrinkles to iron out.

The city got a new stadium when it hosted the soccer events in 2015 for the Toronto Pan Am/Parapan Am Games.

But it doesn't currently have a world-class pool and diving facility. The city's stadium, though ready by the time Pan Am and Parapan Am Games kicked off, was a debacle to construct and finish and is still giving the city headaches.

And it would need provincial and federal buy-in, as international games come with hefty price tags.

But, the Queen's Baton Relay – equivalent to the torch relay for those other international games – came here last month on its way to Gold Coast in Australia next spring.

And the Hamilton baton stop did get some wheels turning.

"As the founding city, it'd be a wonderful opportunity to reflect on the Commonwealth Games, on our city and how we changed, how we're growing," Maychak said.

The bid process usually begins about eight years ahead of time. But a headstart could leave enough time to develop a special centennial celebration.

SteelTown
Aug 31, 2017, 1:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIgRgYAW4AEuge-.jpg:large
Joey Coleman
https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman

matt602
Aug 31, 2017, 3:24 PM
Hopefully the Pan Am stadium will finally be finished for this.

SteelTown
Aug 31, 2017, 5:18 PM
...and add maybe $50 million more to spruce up the stadium and a roof on both stands.

LikeHamilton
Aug 31, 2017, 7:07 PM
That 12 years away! We could get a new stadium in the right location. It will be 15 years old and obsolete by then.

:psycho: :stunned: :gaah: :koko: :titanic: :lmao: :sarcasmalert:

bigguy1231
Sep 1, 2017, 3:50 AM
...and add maybe $50 million more to spruce up the stadium and a roof on both stands.

Or they might even build a real stadium suitable for a city of this size.

king10
Sep 1, 2017, 12:43 PM

no thanks. we have much more pressing needs than draining a couple hundred mill on a stadium used 20-30 times max a year.

THF is more than suitable for our current needs. anything else would be frivolous and irresponsible given more demanding infrastructure needs

Berklon
Sep 1, 2017, 2:48 PM

Really not seeing the point. While THF isn't great and has a bad location, it does the job and has more than enough seats for what it's being used for (even during the "sellouts" of Ti-Cat games there are plenty of empty seats).

Since we already have a new stadium - spend the money elsewhere.

bigguy1231
Sep 1, 2017, 6:10 PM
Really not seeing the point. While THF isn't great and has a bad location, it does the job and has more than enough seats for what it's being used for (even during the "sellouts" of Ti-Cat games there are plenty of empty seats).

Since we already have a new stadium - spend the money elsewhere.

It won't be new in 13 years. It is already out of date and too small to be of use for a Commonwealth Games. If you noticed when they announced locations for World Cup games if the North American bid is accepted, that Hamilton isn't on the Canadian list. There is a reason for that, the stadium is too small.

lachlanholmes
Sep 1, 2017, 6:10 PM
What a waste of money. The BC Provincial Government decided not to support Victoria, BC's bid for the Commonwealth games because its woefully expensive and doesn't bring the numbers of an Olympics or PanAm. We have better things to spend our money on.

mattgrande
Sep 1, 2017, 6:30 PM
I hope it happens. I'm the kind of nerd that likes stuff like this, and I went to a tonne of the Pan Am stuff... Depends on how much it would cost, though.

Looks like Glasgow 2014 cost £575.6 million, which is a pretty hefty pricetag. I guess the Pan Ams were around a billion as well, right?

SteelTown
Sep 1, 2017, 6:36 PM
I think we can do it on a budget, under a billion. Maybe the most $750-800 million.

The majority of the cost will likely be a new Aquatics Centre, upgrading THF and sprucing up Copps. Can keep the budget tight if we let Milton host the velodrome event and rowing and kayaking to St. Catharines.

Berklon
Sep 1, 2017, 7:21 PM
It won't be new in 13 years. It is already out of date and too small to be of use for a Commonwealth Games. If you noticed when they announced locations for World Cup games if the North American bid is accepted, that Hamilton isn't on the Canadian list. There is a reason for that, the stadium is too small.

Yea, but still new enough. Needing a new stadium/arena after only 15-20 years is ridiculous... no matter how cities like Atlanta try to justify it. Building a larger capacity stadium just to be able to host a few events over the course of many years is a waste. It will also create over-supply of seats for the Ti-Cats, killing the illusion of ticket-scarcity... and at the same time will result in a less intimate stadium experience with more empty seats and ruining the atmosphere.

The stadium ship has sailed... we have one and we're stuck with it.

Plus it doesn't help when I consider things like the Commonwealth Games and Pan-Am Games a waste of time and money. If it weren't for the last Pan-Am Games being hosted by Toronto/Hamilton - I'd have no idea who was hosting it. I don't even know who took home the most medals during that event. Same deal with Commonwealth.

So many more useful things that can be done with that money.

king10
Sep 1, 2017, 7:28 PM

it doesn't have a running track... why would we build a new stadium with a running track that will never be used. also the pan am games used a track stadium with 5K permanent seats and 12k temp seats

The city has such an infrastructure deficit. We won't be building a new stadium for 50 years.

money doesn't grow on trees. we can't just build a new stadium because ours will be 15 yrs old....

and the reason is not because the stadium is too small. TD Place and Saputo were both on the list and they are the same size or smaller than Hamilton

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 2, 2017, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I feel like this ship sailed long ago.

*We've got a new football stadium (as does Mac).
*Milton built a velodrome so no need for that.
*Copps isn't worth the investment and there's no need for a new arena.

If the Pan-Ams hadn't been in the area a couple years ago, it would be a different discussion. Just not sure I see the point anymore...

king10
Sep 2, 2017, 2:29 AM
I know copps is going to need a good chunk of capital repairs in the near future. In particular the roof is reaching the end of its useful life. Won't be cheap to do.

Mac has their own plans to replace their pool with an olympic size venue.

Im sure the City and Mac would love provincial and federal funds for those two venues.

Just not sure the cost of hosting the games is worth it.

Perhaps a Hamilton Halton Niagara group bid? Heck throw kitchener waterloo in as well. If toronto is included it wont be a true golden horsehoe bid.

Again, if they cost some astronomical cost its not worth it. The commonwealth games are slighlty smaller than the pan ams. 5000 athletes vs 6000 and 260 events vs 360 events.

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 2, 2017, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I just don't see the rationale.

ScreamingViking
Sep 3, 2017, 9:35 PM
I think we can do it on a budget, under a billion. Maybe the most $750-800 million.

The majority of the cost will likely be a new Aquatics Centre, upgrading THF and sprucing up Copps. Can keep the budget tight if we let Milton host the velodrome event and rowing and kayaking to St. Catharines.

I'd be on board with that approach too. On a limited budget it may work (though where we'd host track and field athletics is a big question... a mostly temporary facility would have to be built)

Have to wonder about the appetite for senior level government investment though -- it won't have been that long since the province spent large on the Pan Ams, but the federal cupboard might be particularly bare if Calgary wins a bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics and much ends up being spent on World Cup stadium upgrades should the joint North American bid win for the same year.

SteelTown
Sep 4, 2017, 9:27 PM
Lately international sporting events have been trying to cut the cost, for example LA for 2024 Olympics. All major sporting events since Rio have been trying to cut the cost of sporting events since many cities have backed away from bidding.

I think we can use the 2015 Pan Am Games to our advantage to try and keep the cost down, this alone would probably help our bid. Plus bringing the event back to the birthplace would be an excellent chance for Hamilton to modernize the Commonwealth Games, look at dropping some sports like netball, lawn bowls and tenpin bowling. Perhaps introduce soccer as a sport.

drpgq
Sep 6, 2017, 6:38 PM
From @joeycoleman

Council vote (not final, they vote again next Weds) on preparing bid for 2030 Commonwealth Games
Y: 2,7,8,9,10,12
N: 1,3,4,5,11,13,15 #yhmcc

SteelTown
Sep 6, 2017, 6:41 PM
The Mayor wasn't at council so that's another Yea vote.

ScreamingViking
Sep 7, 2017, 1:08 AM
Bet this gets put over until the next council, even if they do direct staff to look at the pros and cons. Right now too many of the wafflers will worry about appearances to the more conservative "fix my potholes and limit my tax increase and I'm happy" voters.

drpgq
Sep 7, 2017, 5:49 PM
I think we have a decent shot to get the games based on 100 year sentimentality if we go after them. Having Trudeau in power helps federally. I'm kind of skeptical of the value, although getting money for a world class aquatics center I would be on board with. Hopefully existing sites like the velodrome in Milton would cut costs.

SteelTown
Sep 7, 2017, 9:04 PM
And remember this is just for city council to let city staff to investigate if Hamilton should actually bid for the 2030 Games, as the founder of the Games we should at least investigate the benefits or weakness of a possible centenary Games bid.

SteelTown
Sep 14, 2017, 12:09 AM
Hamilton council closes door on Commonwealth Games bid
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7554094-hamilton-council-closes-door-on-commonwealth-games-bid/

City council has refused to even study the possibility of hosting the 100th anniversary Commonwealth Games in 2030 despite the encouragement of Canadian games officials.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger made a last-ditch plea for council support Wednesday to seek information about possible costs and benefits of hosting the centennial games, which were born in Hamilton as the British Empire Games in 1930.

"Make an informed decision," he said, later adding council may ultimately decide its contribution to a $1-billion games is "too rich for our blood." But to do so without the facts, he said, would be "truly unfortunate."

A growing number of councillors decided Wednesday, however, that they already knew enough to say no.

"We need to focus on back-to-basics needs," said Coun. Sam Merulla, who argued taxpayers have already spent enough on sports infrastructure — particularly $145 million for a new Pan Am soccer and football stadium.

He argued there was a "collective sigh of relief" when a smaller number of councillors voted to recommend killing the bid study last week. An unscientific Spectator website poll showed about 70 per cent of 1,500-plus votes opposed doing the study.

Coun. Tom Jackson said he was feeling "games anxiety" following the challenges — and ongoing litigation — linked to the city's Pan Am Games experience, not to mention two past failed bids for the Commonwealth Games.

He recalled the disappointment and surprise experienced by council members who eagerly supported Hamilton bids in 2010 and 2014 only to lose out.

Ironically, Canadian Commonwealth Games organization officials have encouraged Hamilton to bid for 2030 because of the city's historic role as the birthplace of the event 100 years prior. CEO Brian MacPherson previously told The Spectator there is a "natural feeling" among international games organizers that centennial events "should go to the birthplace."

Other city leaders in Canada have indicated they are reluctant to express interest in a 2030 bid because the expectation is Hamilton had the inside track.

Some councillors said it was the wrong time to talk about possible large-scale expenditures given the city's commitment to a $1-billion, multi-year LRT project, redevelopment of the west harbour and efforts to cut into a $3-billion infrastructure backlog.

City staff said Wednesday there is a theoretical possibility that a new, post-election council could revisit a bid study in 2019 or later.

Eisenberger expressed hope that the debate "would rise again."

SteelTown
Mar 14, 2019, 1:51 AM
Should Hamilton bid to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games?
A past council rejected the idea of making a play for the international event even though the original British Empire Games started in Hamilton in 1930.

NEWS 05:40 PM by Matthew Van Dongen The Hamilton Spectator
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9220905-should-hamilton-bid-to-host-the-2030-commonwealth-games-/

Amateur sport boosters will try to convince a new crop of Hamilton councillors to bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games less than two years after local politicians rejected the idea.

City council refused in 2017 to even study the notion of hosting the international games despite encouragement from Canadian organizers who noted the first event — then called the British Empire Games — was hosted in Hamilton in 1930 on the site of what is now Tim Hortons Field.

Now, a sports coalition dubbed "Hamilton 100" will resurrect the anniversary games pitch to a newly elected council with five new political faces in the hopes of getting a better reception.

"Hamilton is to the Commonwealth Games as Athens is to the Olympics," says an introductory letter to council signed by P.J. Mercanti, CEO of convention centre operator Carmen's Group. "This potential once-in-forever project could transform the city and provide a lasting legacy that the community would enjoy for generations."

By comparison, a modern-day games would likely be a $1-billion-plus, multi-government undertaking attracting 6,000-plus athletes to the city to compete in up to 17 sports like swimming, cycling, and track and field.

Mercanti's letter notes McMaster University, Sport Hamilton and private businesses have jumped on the Hamilton 100 bandwagon and plan to "explore the self-financing" of a Games bid. "Our community coalition feels very confident in our ability to impressively bid — and win — the 2030 Commonwealth Games," he wrote.

Mercanti is also part of a consortium that has expressed interest in redeveloping aging city-owned venues like the hockey arena and convention centre into a downtown commercial and entertainment "precinct." Mercanti has said in the past a prospective redevelopment could tie in to a 2030 games bid.

It remains to be seen if a majority of city councillors are willing to get in the game.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger has said in the past he would like to explore hosting the anniversary games.

But other longtime councillors like Sam Merulla and Tom Jackson admitted to "games fatigue" following a tumultuous 2015 Pan Am Games.

That event helped Hamilton build a new $145-million football and soccer stadium with provincial cash — but not before late construction and ongoing repair issues spawned a lawsuit between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the consortium that built that stadium, and two levels of government that was only recently settled.

The search for a Pan Am stadium site also spurred the infamous purchase and razing of several Barton-Tiffany neighbourhood homes and businesses for no reason, after the Tiger-Cats announced the site was not suitable.

The city has also experienced Commonwealth disappointment via failed bids in 2010 and 2014.

Ironically, council nixed a study of another bid in 2017 despite encouraging hints from Canadian Commonwealth Games officials. CEO Brian MacPherson told The Spectator there was a "natural feeling" among international games organizers that centennial events "should go to the birthplace."

Games boosters are expected to address councillors at a meeting March 20.

ChildishGavino
Mar 14, 2019, 3:38 AM
Though it'd be a big job (I mean, which pool would they even use) I think we all can agree it'd be quite fitting to host the centennial commonwealth games. Besides, all that international attention wouldn't hurt, eh?

thistleclub
Mar 14, 2019, 11:31 AM
As the article suggests, a core part of the bid’s appeal for council would be in securing senior government funding to replace/upgrade aging sports infrastructure (presumably a replacement for Copps, which would otherwise be financially implausible for the municipality to bankroll). One worry, I imagine, would be that it has the potential to turn into a reboot of the Pan Am experience, which was similarly motivated. There may also be resistance because while the stadium was able to tap into the Future Fund to cover the Ciy’s share of capital costs, this would fall to taxpayers as the FF has been recently depleted.

Dr Awesomesauce
Mar 14, 2019, 12:55 PM
Pass.

Hawrylyshyn
Mar 14, 2019, 2:08 PM
Are large, international games ever actually successful? Seems that host cities always lose a lot of money..

ChildishGavino
Mar 14, 2019, 3:59 PM
Perhaps we should wait until the Grey Cup arrives to see if hosting a major sporting event is worth it.

thistleclub
Mar 14, 2019, 4:32 PM
Seems that host cities always lose a lot of money..

Recent Commonwealth Games, without adjusting for inflation…

2018 (https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/member/member/accounting-business/2018/04/insights/commonwealth-games.html): $1.2B CAD hosting cost, $2.1B CAD economic impact
2014 (https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/member/member/accounting-business/2018/04/insights/commonwealth-games.html): $1.0B CAD hosting cost, $1.3B CAD economic impact
2010 (https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/member/2member/accounting-business/2018/04/insights/commonwealth-games.html): $5.5B CAD hosting cost, $6.6B CAD economic impact
2006: $1.1B CAD hosting cost, $1.5B CAD economic impact

Hawrylyshyn
Mar 14, 2019, 4:56 PM
Oh wow, glad I was wrong:cheers:

thistleclub
Mar 14, 2019, 5:08 PM
Oh wow, glad I was wrong:cheers:

There's nuance to both halves of the equation: Costs are shared and benefits dispersed.

It can also go pear-shaped, as was the case in Manchester (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/2994157/Commonwealth-Games-30m-black-hole-as-Manchester-fail-to-sell-rights.html) 2002 (https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/feb/18/sport.commonwealthgames2002).

SteelTown
Mar 14, 2019, 5:31 PM
They should at the very least study the idea. Last time they killed even the suggestion to study the proposal/idea.

Over the years the cost of the games has exploded, thanks to Beijing and Sochi. However, there is a movement to control the cost and scale down the event. It would be nice for Hamilton as the founder of the Commonwealth Games to show the world how to properly host the games without going too lavish on the cost.

I can see the three major costly items would be Copps, upgrading Tim Hortons Field (maybe even a partial roof), and building an Aquatics Centre. Milton has a velodrome so that can help with the cost and Niagara region has everything needed for rowing and other water related events.

thistleclub
Mar 14, 2019, 5:51 PM
They should at the very least study the idea. Last time they killed even the suggestion to study the proposal/idea.

Over the years the cost of the games has exploded, thanks to Beijing and Sochi. However, there is a movement to control the cost and scale down the event.

To be fair, Beijing and Sochi were the Olympics. But yes, it would benefit from a clear-eyed appraisal.

It's hard to imagine a value-engineered 100th Anniversary of the Commonwealth Games, but it's possible.

Inflation-adjusted, Malaysia's costs on the 1998 Commonwealth Games would come in at $1.1B CAD in 2019.

Inflation-adjusted, Hamilton's costs on the 1930 British Empire Games would come in at $1.392M CAD in 2019.

Dr Awesomesauce
Mar 16, 2019, 12:25 AM
What did we build for the 1930 Empire Games?

*Civic Stadium
*Jimmy Thompson
*Perhaps Scott Park and the old baseball and soccer stadia
*The walk-ups across from the park (I believe).

Not sure about anything else.

SteelTown
Mar 16, 2019, 1:38 AM
Athletes housing

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.248875,-79.8301408,3a,75y,266.1h,88.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV5Ho2nuj4hXsqeMcu2_myg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

thistleclub
Mar 16, 2019, 12:17 PM
Athletes housing

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.248875,-79.8301408,3a,75y,266.1h,88.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV5Ho2nuj4hXsqeMcu2_myg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

One of the appealing but undersold aspects of the bid would be the potential creation of athletes’ residences that would be converted to new affordable housing stock post-Games. Hamilton hosted 400 athletes in 1930, but that number would be 10-12 times higher in 2030. That timeline doesn’t address today’s shortfalls (https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8897657-hamilton-s-social-housing-wait-list-keeps-growing/), but it would certainly be of help, and it’s hard to imagine another way of creating that many units in the space of three council terms.

Dr Awesomesauce
Mar 17, 2019, 12:57 AM
^It's tempting, believe me.

I think I'm just too old to get caught up in these sorts of things, especially when so little of the conversation is actually about the athletic event itself.

SteelTown
Mar 20, 2019, 2:55 PM
They are debating about it now, looks like Merulla is in favour. So it looks positive.

SteelTown
Mar 20, 2019, 3:32 PM
Done, council voted unanimously for staff to examine a possible bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games.

thistleclub
Mar 21, 2019, 12:58 PM
Carmens Group will apparently bankroll the bid.

@SamCraggsCBC (https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC):

• (https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC/status/1108379221070675968) Brian MacPherson, CEO of the Commonwealth Games, says the games cost $1.5B operational to host the games, plus about $500M for capital. He references another municipal contribution of $150M+, but says the economic spinoff makes it worth it

• (https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC/status/1108375287497138176) The 2017 report showed hosting the games would cost Hamilton millions. @Sam_Merulla said then, "It's a basket of lunacy to even think about talking about this." He likened it to buying a hot tub with a tiki bar when the basement is flooded

• (https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC/status/1108385110867484674) Mercanti's group will look into potential benefits of Hamilton hosting the games & pay to put together a bid. Not the cost of hosting, but the bid. If Hamilton gets the games, city would likely contribute 25% of the hosting cost, whatever that is. Glasgow spent $150M-$300M Cdn

• (https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC/status/1108389509983547398) Merulla says he sees this as a "basket of opportunity" now if it leads to more affordable housing. "I'm concerned too about housing & all that," says Pauls. She moves staff reporting back to GIC with an "outline of the games, potential risks & reward"

• (https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC/status/1108390103058169858) Danko: Can we keep track of staff time? That's an in-kind contribution & community will want to know for transparency. Staff: yes. Anyway, staff report on potentially hosting passes unanimously. In 2017, the vote to bid to host the games failed 10-5

thistleclub
Mar 21, 2019, 1:16 PM
After feedback from council (and, later, staff) there may be some rescoping, but Mercanti's pitch seemed to bolt on the "affordable housing" appeal after the fact. His presentation seemed to suggest that there might be cost efficiencies in using McMaster residences — around 3,600 beds — for athletes' accommodations. That savings would obviously come at the cost of new housing construction, which in turn might undermine council support.

SteelTown
Aug 3, 2019, 2:35 AM
Commonwealth games officials feel 'excitement and energy' in Hamilton visit

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/commonwealth-games-hamilton100-1.5234711

Commonwealth games officials wrapped up a three-day whirlwind tour of Hamilton Friday as the community continues its campaign to bring the event back to the city where it all began for its 100th anniversary.

The 2030 games mark a milestone for both the games and Hamilton, the city where the first-ever version of the games, then known as the British Empire Games, back in 1930.

Since then, every attempt to spark enthusiasm around hosting the games again has fizzled. But this time a community group called Hamilton100 is leading the pack with a focus on engaging the community and building excitement around the games.

That passion wasn't lost on David Grevemberg, CEO of the Commonwealth Games Federation during his visit to various venues across the city this week.

During a media conference he spoke of a "fantastic swell of enthusiasm, excitement and energy" and said the city could be a "real contender."

"We're really proud to call Hamilton a proud city of the Commonwealth, because the citizens and communities are really benefiting from the power of sport," Grevemberg added, saying the city is home to world-class venues that are already being used to attract business.

100th anniversary no guarantee

As for the idea of circling back to Hamilton for the 100th anniversary, the CEO said doing so would provide an opportunity to showcase how both the games and the city have evolved.

"I think there's some wonderful synergies there. If the planets are aligned and this looks like something that's going to work for everybody … I think there could be some really amazing opportunities."

But, despite the novelty of circling back for such a significant celebration, there's no guarantee the games will wind up in Hamilton.

While the milestone might be important to Canadians, it will most likely be lost on other 70 nations and territories that vote on which city will be host.

"For them it's going to be the 100th anniversary no matter where it's held," pointed out Linda Cuthbert, director of Commonwealth Games Canada and chair of the country's bid and hosting committee.

She said several Canadian cities are interested in hosting the games. Each hopeful will have to submit Part 1 of their hosting plan, including its vision and general ideas around finances and budgeting by Nov. 22.

Part 2 of the plan is due in March and Cuthbert said all levels of government must be on board with a bid before Canada's preferred bid is moved forward internationally.

That's important because while words like "destiny" and "excitement" were tossed around during Friday's update, there are still plenty of unanswered questions around the games.

Hamilton is still at the dialogue stage of the process. The bid is in the exploratory stage meaning the city hasn't locked down the games, let alone been chosen as the Canadian city which will get to try for them.

Business plan will be brought to council in November

Although council has supported Hamilton100's involvement in the bidding process, some councillors are still raising questions about how much of the cost the city will have to carry. Preliminary estimates for the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia indicate a price tag of over $1.8 billion. The cost to hold the 2022 games in Birmingham, England is expected to hit about $1.5 million.

Hamilton100 bid president P.J. Mercanti said over the next three months they'll be working to put together a business plan which will be presented to council in November.

He stressed the bid is all about delivering maximum value to Hamilton's citizens, with plans for accessible youth sports programs before and after the games, along with a focus on affordable housing solutions.

Now, thanks to the visit, he added, the team is also armed with new "operating models and efficiencies" passed along by the commonwealth federations which will help reduce the cost of the games and make sure they're "right-sized" for the city.

In the meantime, Mercanti said, the biggest challenge they face is making sure everyone in Hamilton — including council —understands the benefits the games could bring.

"The games are a catalyst for change in the community," he explained. "It's more than just sport. It's about community building."

Pipedreams
Aug 8, 2019, 2:20 PM
This might come off as awful, but I am almost excited to having people move on to endlessly debating the merits and cons of this project so that the anti-LRT crowd can move on to something else to fret about.

Although to be honest I am much less in favour of this one; a billion dollars in spending on a one time event. I know there is always the talk about legacy building but I think the vast majority of Olympic cities have failed to do adequately do so in any meaningful way that justifies their cost.

Dr Awesomesauce
Aug 8, 2019, 11:50 PM
^How could the Commonwealth Games be $1b?? Silly.

Seriously now, if someone came to me with a ridiculous proposal like that, I'd laugh and send them back to the drawing board...and likely not take any future calls from them!

Those are taxpayer dollars. They have a responsibility to do better. Lay it out for Hamiltonians. Explain to us why this is a worthwhile investment. What problem does this solve for Hamilton? No bs about a 100-year anniversary. Why is this event an absolute necessity for Hamilton?

king10
Aug 9, 2019, 1:12 PM
^How could the Commonwealth Games be $1b?? Silly.

Seriously now, if someone came to me with a ridiculous proposal like that, I'd laugh and send them back to the drawing board...and likely not take any future calls from them!

Those are taxpayer dollars. They have a responsibility to do better. Lay it out for Hamiltonians. Explain to us why this is a worthwhile investment. What problem does this solve for Hamilton? No bs about a 100-year anniversary. Why is this event an absolute necessity for Hamilton?

Security and logistics make up a huge part of it. Also there is no stadium with running track in place, olympic size pool etc.

Based on past Olympics, Pan Ams, Commonwealth games $1B is on the cheap side.

SteelTown
Aug 9, 2019, 2:21 PM
Since the region has hosted a major sporting event recently, 2015 Pan Am Games, there's a lot of venues Hamilton wouldn't need to build such as velodrome, rowing, etc. The track and field can be a temporary venue to save the cost. Most of the cost for venues would probably be to renovate existing venues such as Tim Hortons Field (perhaps an open roof), Convention Centre, Hamilton Place and Copps.

From the sounds of it, they'll propose a new Athletes Village in order to gain more support from council. Sam Merulla wants more affordable housing and this fits in.

Djeffery
Aug 9, 2019, 2:35 PM
Since the region has hosted a major sporting event recently, 2015 Pan Am Games, there's a lot of venues Hamilton wouldn't need to build such as velodrome, rowing, etc. The track and field can be a temporary venue to save the cost. Most of the cost for venues would probably be to renovate existing venues such as Tim Hortons Field (perhaps an open roof), Convention Centre, Hamilton Place and Copps.

From the sounds of it, they'll propose a new Athletes Village in order to gain more support from council. Sam Merulla wants more affordable housing and this fits in.

Toronto's track and field was at York with mostly temporary stands. Hamilton can probably do similar at Mac, at the track beside Ron Joyce stadium. It's unfortunate that that one side of that track is hard up against the Ron Joyce stands though, so you can't put in a temporary bowl design like Toronto had. But you can steal half the neighbouring rugby field and parking lot and fit a lot of seats in.

king10
Aug 9, 2019, 3:29 PM
Toronto's track and field was at York with mostly temporary stands. Hamilton can probably do similar at Mac, at the track beside Ron Joyce stadium. It's unfortunate that that one side of that track is hard up against the Ron Joyce stands though, so you can't put in a temporary bowl design like Toronto had. But you can steal half the neighbouring rugby field and parking lot and fit a lot of seats in.

I'm not sure I see that working. Half the track is landlocked by Ron Joyce stadium(as you alluded to) plus Ivor Wynne Centre. You may be able to get temporary seating around 50% of the track but the issue becomes you need a permanent structure for the media, tv etc which doesn't exist plus meeting minimum seating capacity. Commonwealth Games Bid requirements state a 40,000 seat stadium is required for athletics which is significantly higher than the Pan Ams. https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=193904

Below is the area around Mac we're talking about.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ron+Joyce+Stadium/@43.2666991,-79.9165053,272m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x59e7befa635cdae7!8m2!3d43.2661138!4d-79.9169964

Also I don't believe that Mac track is up to standards, it's only 8 lanes and Commonwealth may require 9. It's already very cramped and difficult to expand.

Another complication is you need a nearby warm up track which Mac does not have. York used the already established toronto track and field centre on its property.

For the above reasons I think you would need something entirely new, and probably temporary because we don't need a 40,000 seat athletics stadium. Maybe Burlington would be interested in a 10,000 seat permanent athletic stadium with 30,000 temp seats?

Djeffery
Aug 9, 2019, 6:23 PM
I'm not sure I see that working. Half the track is landlocked by Ron Joyce stadium(as you alluded to) plus Ivor Wynne Centre. You may be able to get temporary seating around 50% of the track but the issue becomes you need a permanent structure for the media, tv etc which doesn't exist plus meeting minimum seating capacity. Commonwealth Games Bid requirements state a 40,000 seat stadium is required for athletics which is significantly higher than the Pan Ams. https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=193904

Below is the area around Mac we're talking about.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ron+Joyce+Stadium/@43.2666991,-79.9165053,272m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x59e7befa635cdae7!8m2!3d43.2661138!4d-79.9169964

Also I don't believe that Mac track is up to standards, it's only 8 lanes and Commonwealth may require 9. It's already very cramped and difficult to expand.

Another complication is you need a nearby warm up track which Mac does not have. York used the already established toronto track and field centre on its property.

For the above reasons I think you would need something entirely new, and probably temporary because we don't need a 40,000 seat athletics stadium. Maybe Burlington would be interested in a 10,000 seat permanent athletic stadium with 30,000 temp seats?

Cool, I wasn't aware the CG wanted so many more seats for track as the Pan-Ams, which was probably no more than 10,000 seats at York. Interesting note at the bottom of that sheet about one facility being branded as "Commonwealth" going forward after the games. We have that here in London where 18 years after the Canada Summer Games, the aquatic centre is still called the Canada Games Aquatic Centre. I guess that might explain why the football stadium in Edmonton hasn't been corporately named.

ChildishGavino
Aug 9, 2019, 7:31 PM
Cool, I wasn't aware the CG wanted so many more seats for track as the Pan-Ams, which was probably no more than 10,000 seats at York. Interesting note at the bottom of that sheet about one facility being branded as "Commonwealth" going forward after the games. We have that here in London where 18 years after the Canada Summer Games, the aquatic centre is still called the Canada Games Aquatic Centre. I guess that might explain why the football stadium in Edmonton hasn't been corporately named.

It technically is. During Eskimo games only, the place is referred to The Brick Field @ Commonwealth Stadium, a name so stupid I don't know why they'd even pay for it.

king10
Aug 9, 2019, 11:13 PM

Ya pan am track stadium was 12,500.

SantaClo
Aug 12, 2019, 7:39 PM
https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/9545554-hamilton-agrees-to-partner-with-hamilton-100-group-to-bid-on-2030-commonwealth-games/?fbclid=iwar2-q-a3mslvvk0r-fdtskxecexx8gdoai29s1qtn8uqxspthrhhbwldvsi

Don't forget that Chrome's "incognito" mode helps going around paywalls

SteelTown
Nov 4, 2019, 2:05 PM
This is actually a good idea

Should Hamilton turn Bayfront Park into an island for the Commonwealth Games?
A draft games proposal says carving up the park would allow currents to wash out of the algae-ridden harbour — making it safe for triathletes and city residents alike in 2030.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9674772-should-hamilton-turn-bayfront-park-into-an-island-for-the-commonwealth-games-/

Call it a competitive cleanup?

A bid proposal for the 2030 Commonwealth Games says Hamilton should turn Bayfront Park into an island to flush out the algae-plagued harbour and make it safe for swimmers.

The suggestion to carve up the waterfront park comes in a draft proposal — which still needs council approval — to host the 100th anniversary of the international competition that started in Hamilton in 1930 as the British Empire Games.

The privately-funded proposal comes from a group of Commonwealth boosters, Hamilton100, and includes still-theoretical ideas to build or renovate "legacy" facilities that would benefit residents long-term after temporarily hosting 4,300 athletes competing in around 20 summertime sports.

Suggestions range from relatively modest renovations to an existing McMaster University pool complex to contentious plans to build a new convention centre and multi-sport arena downtown.

But nestled in the middle: a vow to make the harbour near Bayfront Park swimmable for triathletes by 2030 — "and for generations to come."

That sounds like a tall order for a harbour struggling with sewage overflows, toxic blue-green algae and a depressing record of beach closures due to high bacterial counts. (Last year, public health experts recommending closing Bayfront beach indefinitely.)

The bid document suggests a novel if unproven solution: carving Bayfront Park into an island — or maybe two.

Reshaping the park, it argues, would improve water circulation around the landfill-turned-greenspace, in the process washing out bird-poop bacteria that lingers in stagnant water at the beach and nearshore "dead zones."

The plan would create a wide channel to separate Bayfront Park parking from a newly-made island. A smaller channel would cut through the rocky east arm of land that encircles part of Bayfront beach.

"The resulting water movement is expected to fully address the green algae issue," the documents states confidently.

Is that necessarily true?

Well, city staff generally endorsed the "high-level" draft proposal's vision in a report going to councillors Wednesday — but also carefully note the "feasibility" of some commitments has yet to be tested.

(The high-level draft does not contain many specific project cost estimates. But in general, hosting the Commonwealth Games is expected to cost close to $1 billion, with at least two-thirds covered by provincial and federal governments.)

A public health study released earlier in 2019 did find that improved water circulation could help disperse bacteria at the partially enclosed Bayfront beach.

But just getting rid of one arm of encircling land at the beach would cost close to $10 million, said Chris McLaughlin, executive director of the Bay Area Restoration Council (BARC).

The Commonwealth Games bid actually lists BARC as an advisory body. McLaughlin said he did attend working group meetings to provide background on the history of cleanup efforts and the Hamilton Harbour Remedial Action Plan.

But the algae-busting island plan? That was news to him.

He hastened to add the goal outlined by games organizers — safe swimming by 2030 — sounds great. By then, the city will have capped industrial pollution at Randle Reef and opened an upgraded sewage treatment plant, two "major milestones" for the harbour cleanup.

On the other hand, the algae scourge befouling the harbour each summer is a worldwide phenomena — and not considered a simple fix, McLaughlin said. Climate change, development pressure, urban run-off and sewage overflows could all play a role.

"Making the harbour safe for swimmers is an important goal and it remains one of our biggest challenges," said McLaughlin, who added he is happy to provide advice on achieving that goal. "But the algae issue is more of a systems problem, a watershed problem."

Interestingly, the idea of a Bayfront island is not actually new.

Consultants working on a waterfront master-plan for the city in 1985 recommended the then-Lax landfill be transformed into "Hamilton Island."

That island of dreams would have featured a Crystal Palace, Imax theatre, life-size replicas of the sunken Hamilton and Scourge warships — and maybe even an underwater tunnel to an adjoining island through a "transparent tube."

With or without a triathlete island paradise, councillors will have to sign off on some version of a host proposal by Nov. 22 if they want to stay in the race for a centennial games in Hamilton.

That's the deadline to submit a proposal to Commonwealth Games Canada, which will choose which city vies internationally to host the 2030 event.

http://media.zuza.com/0/b/0b227154-3431-46e9-814e-f0e4265f9249/B88925236Z.1_20191103164132_000_GINPCR5N.3-0.jpg

thistleclub
Nov 4, 2019, 3:47 PM
The City would have to come up with $300+ million — $500m (https://www.google.com/search?q=cost+of+hosting+commonwealth+ghames&oq=cost+of+hosting+commonwealth+ghames&aqs=chrome..69i57.6659j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8), if the Commonwealth Games' CEO is to be believed – before this would ever get traction.

There seems to be have been no cost attached to the project. The one estimate in the article comes from BARC, who have only a tangential association with the bid. BARC's executive director pegs the cost for severing the park's northern, harbourside arm at $10 million. But the costs would be much higher. There's also the cost of building a canal at the southern, landside end of the park. Plus the cost of 3-4 bridges. Plus the cost contingencies that come with breaking open a 40-acre landfill that was created in the late '60s and early '70s. While unlikely to cost as much as Randle Reef containment, it will still come at a cost (time as much as money).

It might not even deliver the desired outcome. The Hamilton100 consultants' projection is far more optimistic than a public health study released earlier this year indicating that improved water circulation could help disperse bacteria — possibly E.coli largely credited to goose poop, not the cyanotoxins arising from blue-green algae (which might still remain a problem post-islandification). Not to mention the wild card of rising lake levels.

ScreamingViking
Nov 4, 2019, 8:41 PM
It's a neat idea, and would add interesting features to the park even without the range of environmental benefits touted (though I think the park is great as-is; there must also be other things that may mitigate the water quality issues)

But aren't there other fairly local options for hosting the triathlon that already exist or would be much cheaper to build/implement?

Dr Awesomesauce
Nov 6, 2019, 12:19 AM
Interesting idea. Anything that improves the water quality of the harbour is fine by me, cost notwithstanding.

I'd love to see a pool at Bayfront overlooking the beach. It would be reminiscent of Vancouver...

thistleclub
Nov 6, 2019, 2:05 PM
Overlapping interests in bid to bring Commonwealth Games to Hamilton (https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9678850-andrew-dreschel-overlapping-interests-in-bid-to-bring-commonwealth-games-to-hamilton/)
(Hamilton Spectator, Andrew Dreschel, Nov 6 2019)

On Wednesday PJ Mercanti and other members of the Hamilton 100 committee, a community coalition seeking to bring the 2030 Commonwealth Games to the city, will provide councillors a high-level presentation of their plan.

At the end of it, Mercanti is hoping council will give the group the thumbs up to submit the proposal to Commonwealth Games Canada (CGC) and so proceed to the next phase of the bid.

At this point, council has made no financial commitment and won't be expected to until next spring, assuming, that is, Hamilton wins CGC's nod as the preferred candidate to put before the Commonwealth Games Federation, which ultimately decides where the games are held.

There is pile of city hall politics around all this.

Some councillors are bedazzled by the possibility of snaring federal and provincial infrastructure funding and captivated by the promise of related economic and social spinoffs. Others are more skeptical of the ballyhooed offshoots and see the games as a circus want, one that could cost the city up to $300 million.

Read it in full here (https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9678850-andrew-dreschel-overlapping-interests-in-bid-to-bring-commonwealth-games-to-hamilton/).

--

Recent CG costs/benefits, before inflation…

2018 (https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/member/member/accounting-business/2018/04/insights/commonwealth-games.html): $1.2B CAD hosting cost, $2.1B CAD economic impact
2014 (https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/member/member/accounting-business/2018/04/insights/commonwealth-games.html): $1.0B CAD hosting cost, $1.3B CAD economic impact
2010 (https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/member/2member/accounting-business/2018/04/insights/commonwealth-games.html): $5.5B CAD hosting cost, $6.6B CAD economic impact
2006: $1.1B CAD hosting cost, $1.5B CAD economic impact

thistleclub
Nov 6, 2019, 2:11 PM
From the June 2019 Hamilton 100 delegation to council (https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/9420835-hamilton-s-2030-commonwealth-games-bid-clears-another-hurdle):

preliminary cost estimates from the 2018 Commonwealth Games held in Australia reveal the price tag was over $1.8 billion. The cost to hold the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland in 2014 and the 2022 games in Birmingham, England is about $1.5 billion, said Commonwealth Games Canada officials. They said about $1 billion is used for operational costs, while $500 million is for capital improvements.

That $1.5B estimate (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/commonwealth-games-bid-1.5064072) has been echoed by Brian MacPherson, CEO of Commonwealth Games Canada.

The $300M cost estimate appears to be based on the scenario of the federal government paying half and the other half being split between the province and the municipality.

In an equal cost-sharing scenario, Hamilton would be able to host the Games for $300M if it opts not to build anything.

ScreamingViking
Nov 7, 2019, 6:22 PM
Council gave the go-ahead for next steps. But time is ticking... $1.3 billion to $1.4 billion cost estimate.
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9680651-hamilton-city-council-gives-commonwealth-games-committee-blessing-to-proceed/

A committee organizing a bid for Hamilton to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games has received the blessing of councillors to continue a pitch to land the sporting event a century after it was first held in the city.

Hamilton 100 will forge ahead with a flurry of preparations to provide details to council about the cost and logistics of setting the stage for what's estimated to be a billion-dollar-plus production.

The Hamilton 100 committee faces a Nov. 22 submission deadline to keep the domestic ball rolling with more key dates to follow.

However, city staff told councillors Wednesday that they face a tight deadline to get their ducks in a row. That includes getting a handle on what kind of recreation facilities will be required and just how much money the municipality will have to contribute to the cause.

Staff will have a better idea of those details, including financial commitments, by the Feb. 19 general issues committee meeting — if Hamilton has been shortlisted and is still in the running at that point.

If council still gives its blessing, the committee will submit the second part of its hosting proposal to Commonwealth Games Canada by March 9, with a Canadian winner to be selected by March 31.

At that point, talks begin between the successful Canadian contender and federal and provincial governments begin to nail down a binding agreement, staff explained.

Danko asked staff to return Jan. 15 with a list of outstinding questions to give council more lead time on what could be at stake.

More here, including use of existing Pan-Am facilities for cycling and diving and reference to the accomodation component that could become affordable housing afterward:
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9681883-hamilton-continues-on-pace-to-bid-on-hosting-2030-commonwealth-games/

The proposal includes building three multi-sport complexes, with the largest being 98,000 square feet that will accommodate squash, badminton and eight basketball courts and will have retractable seats.

FirstOntario Place, its future uncertain as councillors consider demolishing it, could be incorporated into Hamilton 100’s plan, by hosting gymnastics, for example. A new convention centre, which is also being discussed by the city, would be used for boxing and hosting the media area.

Other existing venues would be used for the games, including Mohawk Sports Park for field hockey, Gage Park for indoor tennis, McMaster University for some swimming events and Confederation Park for indoor beach volleyball. Bayfront Park would be the location for the triathlon.

Some events would be held in other areas. Cycling, which would be held at the National Cycling Centre in Milton, diving at the Pan Am Sports Centre in Toronto and netball in Mississauga.

The proposal, said Hamilton 100 president P.J. Mercanti, would also include building residences in the east end and downtown to accommodate 1,500 games officials. He suggested to councillors during the Nov. 5 general issues committee meeting that once the event is over, the residences could be converted into affordable housing.

Mercanti said the group is budgeting up to $1.4 billion for the event, comparable to the 2018 games’ cost on Australia's Gold Coast, which was $1.8 billion, while the Glasgow, Scotland, games in 2014 and the 2022 games in Birmingham, England, are about $1.5 billion.

He said capital upgrades for the event are estimated to be roughly $450 million, while operational costs are about $950 million.

thistleclub
Nov 7, 2019, 9:46 PM
Glasgow 2014 (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-31549540) ($1.0B (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/commonwealth-games-2014-has-glasgow-65-over-bid-estimate-1.2533121))

The Athletes' Village in Dalmarnock was home to about 7,000 competitors and officials during the Games last summer.

The 38.5 hectare site was reconfigured afterwards and now features 300 private homes, 400 homes for social rent and a new 120-bed care home for the elderly.

Post-Games (https://www.independent.co.uk/news-14-1/commonwealth-games-glasgow-legacy-is-cashed-in-as-residents-move-into-athletes-village-10412045.html)…

Once home to around 6,500 athletes, the 33-hectare site has been converted into 700 houses and flats and has the feel of a Scandinavian village, with wood-cladded properties arranged in neat rows.

Gold Coast 2018 (https://gc2018.com/article/inside-commonwealth-games-village) ($1.8B)

Before it becomes the home away from home for 6,600 athletes and team officials, media from around the Commonwealth gave the Commonwealth Games Village a test run.…

Situated on 29 hectares, including seven hectares of open parklands, the Village features 18 new buildings; housing 1,252 dwellings - that's 1,170 apartments and 82 townhouses.

Post-Games (https://qldpropertyinvestor.com.au/gold-coast-athletes-village-get-new-name-hits-the-market/)…

In a first for the Gold Coast, all 1,251 apartments and townhouses in the $550 million Grocon-built Athletes’ Village will be offered solely for long-term rent.

The new residential and retail centre will include 18 apartment buildings, 82 double-storey townhouses and will be called “Smith Collective”.

At the heart of the precinct will be a 6,280sq m retail and dining hub, with major supermarket chain Woolworths and retail giant BWS already securing tenancies.

Birmingham 2022 (https://www.birmingham2022.com/the-games/athletes-village/) ($1.5B estimated)

A magnificent new Athletes Village in Perry Barr will be home to over 6,500 athletes and officials during the Games and later provide housing for the people of Birmingham.… Following the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, the village will be converted into 1,400 homes for the community. This is part of a long-term regeneration plan for Perry Barr and the surrounding areas that will eventually see 5,000 new homes.

More recently (https://www.building.co.uk/news/council-boss-admits-350m-athletes-village-most-at-risk-of-missing-commonwealth-games-deadline/5102013.article)…

Lendlease’s £350m project to build the athletes’ village for the 2022 Commonwealth Games is the most likely in the programme to bust its deadline, council bosses have revealed.

Birmingham council leader Ian Ward said the project (pictured), which will eventually see 1,400 homes built in the city’s Perry Barr district, was the job causing organisers the biggest headache.

Hamilton 2030 (https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9681883-hamilton-on-pace-to-bid-for-2030-commonwealth-games/) ($1.4B estimated)

The proposal, said Hamilton 100 president P.J. Mercanti, would also include building residences in the east end and downtown to accommodate 1,500 games officials. He suggested to councillors during the Nov. 5 general issues committee meeting that once the event is over, the residences could be converted into affordable housing.… Mercanti said the group is budgeting up to $1.4 billion for the event, comparable to the 2018 games’ cost on Australia's Gold Coast, which was $1.8 billion, while the Glasgow, Scotland, games in 2014 and the 2022 games in Birmingham, England, are about $1.5 billion.

ScreamingViking
Nov 8, 2019, 5:32 AM
Interesting variation in housing outcomes.

I wonder if Mercanti misspoke or was misquoted about the number. Otherwise, that's a pretty big question for staff to delve into.

Djeffery
Nov 8, 2019, 11:24 AM
Are they looking at the athletes staying in current student residences?

thistleclub
Nov 8, 2019, 12:05 PM
Recall Hamilton 100's last time at council (https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/9231477-hamilton-will-study-possible-bid-for-2030-commonwealth-games/):

Coun. Sam Merulla vocally opposed the idea of a Games bid two years ago, calling it a "basket of lunacy" given Hamilton's Pan Am stadium troubles and infrastructure deficit.

But on Wednesday, the Ward 4 councillor said he now views the Games as a "basket of opportunity," in no small part because of the opportunity to build affordable housing via the Games budget.

The athlete's village traditionally represents the vast majority of capital costs associated with hosting the Games.

Mercanti estimates $450 million in capital upgrades; Birmingham's athlete's village will cost £350 million, which (even with the depressing effect of Brexit on the pound) works out to around $600 million.

Council's enthusiasm for a Games bid is directly tied to the possibility of making real inroads in affordable housing, so they should have been crystal clear about the numbers.

The viability of the student residence option depends on when the Games fall. UK & Canada Games have tended to fall in July & August, but the window varies, and climate change also renders seasonality somewhat moot.

British Empire Games
Hamilton: Aug 16-23, 1930
London: Aug 4-11, 1934
Sydney: Feb 5-12, 1938
Auckland: Feb 4-11, 1950
British Empire and Commonwealth Games
Vancouver: July 30-Aug 7, 1954
Cardiff: July 18-26, 1958
Perth: Nov 22-Dec. 1, 1962
Kingston: Aug 4-13, 1966
British Commonwealth Games
Edinburgh: July 16-25, 1970
Christchurch: Jan 24-Feb 2, 1974
Commonwealth Games
Edmonton: Aug 3- Aug 12, 1978
Brisbane: Sept 30-Oct 9, 1982
Edinburgh: July 24-Aug 2, 1986
Auckland: Jan 24-Feb. 3, 1990
Victoria: Aug 18-28, 1994
Kuala Lumpur: Sept 11-21, 1998
Manchester: July 25–Aug 4, 2002
Melbourne: Mar 15-26, 2006
New Delhi: Oct 3-14, 2010
Glasgow: July 23-Aug. 3, 2014
Gold Coast: Apr 4-15, 2018
Birmingham: July 27-Aug 7, 2022

Not sure how much the spring/summer (https://hotel.mcmaster.ca/student/) student population impacts stock levels.

Djeffery
Nov 8, 2019, 9:29 PM
I don't think climate change would really affect when the games would be held in Southern Ontario. They would almost definitely be held in summer to take advantage of summer travel. Having it anytime else would really reduce ticket sales.

thistleclub
Nov 8, 2019, 10:00 PM
I don't think climate change would really affect when the games would be held in Southern Ontario. They would almost definitely be held in summer to take advantage of summer travel. Having it anytime else would really reduce ticket sales.

The last time Canada hosted (Victoria, 1994), they ran in the second half of August. The 1930 Empire Games was much the same footprint; August 16-23, 1930.

In any case, council is doing a sprint if they're looking to lock this in by Nov 22. For comparison's sake, Adelaide (https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/south-australia-drops-plans-for-adelaide-commonwealth-games-bid/) dropped its bid for the 2026 Games six months after commissioning a feasibility study.

Djeffery
Nov 9, 2019, 1:16 AM
The last time Canada hosted (Victoria, 1994), they ran in the second half of August. The 1930 Empire Games was much the same footprint; August 16-23, 1930.

So like I said. Same goes for all the major international games competitions Canada has hosted (aside from the obvious winter ones), Olympics, Commonwealth and Pan Am, all have been in the summer travel season.

thistleclub
Nov 9, 2019, 1:27 AM
So like I said. Same goes for all the major international games competitions Canada has hosted (aside from the obvious winter ones), Olympics, Commonwealth and Pan Am, all have been in the summer travel season.

I never suggested that it'd be otherwise — just that the window moves, which it does.

ETA: According to CBC Hamilton (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/commonwealth-games-proposal-hamilton-1.5347274), “Hamilton 100 is suggesting the dates of June 28 - July 7, 2030 for the games.”

That article also contains more detail on the athlete’s village. They don't plan to build one, opting for an officials' village:

And part of this, Hamilton 100 says, is to use this "opportunity" to create affordable housing and support a "clean and green" sustainable community.

As such, the plan proposes to build residences in Hamilton's east end and downtown area to accommodate 1,500 games officials in around 500 - 700 new units.

Hamilton 100 says that the residences, which would range from one to three bedrooms in size, would be converted after the games into affordable housing.

Athletes and team officials, meanwhile, would be housed in student residences at McMaster University, which will be emptier in the summertime.

There are upwards of 6,700 households/16,000 Hamiltonians on the wait list for affordable housing. It takes 2+ years to thread that line, and on top of that, existing affordable housing supply is aging out of its agreements (allowing developers to convert them to market rent or condos) or just falling apart. It's next to impossible to secure funding to address any of this, so the missed opportunity here is enormous.

Hamilton Spectator, Sept 19 2018 ( https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8910133-hamilton-s-affordable-housing-landscape-shifting/):

If affordable shelter was ever an election issue, it certainly is now.

Rents in the open market are skyrocketing and homeless camps are dotting the city. This is putting increased pressure on Hamilton's social housing stock, which is falling into disrepair. This bid could offer a chance to make a massive dent in that problem, unlocking government funding at unprecedented scale.

An estimated $400 million is needed just to maintain the existing supply in the next 20 years, let alone adding to it.

SteelTown
Nov 15, 2019, 2:31 AM
Hamilton OKs plan to bid for 2030 Commonwealth Games, but wants to scrutinize it first
Estimates indicate hosting the games would cost about $1.5B

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/commonwealth-games-1.5358854

The city has given the OK to a community group looking to bring the 2030 Commonwealth Games to Hamilton, but it will do a risk assessment to make sure it's not on the hook for unforeseen costs.

Hamilton city council voted Wednesday to order an independent peer review of whatever financial model Hamilton 150 will use to make a pitch for the games. It also wants its staff to look at the proposal and identify any risks, including cost overruns.

"The peer review is to make sure we're comfortable with their financial model," said Coun. Brad Clark of Ward 9. "It's not our proposal, it's theirs."

Otherwise, city council is supporting Hamilton 100, a group advocating that the city play host to the games 11 years from now. The group's plan includes three new multi-sport complexes, more affordable housing, and upgrades to facilities using what it hopes is money from the provincial and federal governments.

Hamilton 100 outlined its vision earlier this month with a document that doesn't include dollar figures. The 2030 games are an important anniversary, the group says, because Hamilton hosted the first version of the games in 1930.

Each Canadian city interested in hosting the games will have to submit Part 1 of their plans, which includes vision and a financial plan, to Commonwealth Games Canada by Nov. 22.

The cost to host the games varies. Glasgow, Scotland spent around $300 million Canadian dollars when it hosted in 2014. Preliminary estimates for the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia indicate a price tag of over $1.8 billion.

The cost to hold the 2022 games in Birmingham, England is expected to hit about $1.5 billion.

Brian MacPherson, CEO of Commonwealth Games Canada previously told Hamilton city councillors that the total cost can run around $1.5 billion.

thistleclub
Nov 15, 2019, 2:59 PM
Hamilton 100's Nov 6, 2019 GIC delegation/"community vision" (https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings.com/Players/ISIStandAlonePlayer.aspx?ClientId=hamilton&FileName=Council%20Encoder_General%20Issues%20Committee_2019-11-06-09-29.mp4) can be viewed here (from 13:05).

"We are here to unsettle and surprise whatever expectations you may have, because we are wanting to craft a new narrative. We're throwing out the old playbook, and this time around we are innovating our approach. And in doing so, we are hoping to put forward a more compelling story about why these Games matter. We're done with the same old. We Are here to be different, and we are here to make a lasting impact for the children of Hamilton."

Later, against a slide of Australia’s half-billion-dollar Gold Coast Athletes’ Village (v) (21:21-21:45):

“We would like to acknowledge that affordable housing is a major issue in this community. The hosting of major international games represents a very unique opportunity for a host city to maximize affordable housing solutions that its community may need. As we continue through this biding process, we would seek to create an independent task force with many of our community;’s not-for-profit housing providers like Indwell, Kiwanis, the YMCA, YWCA, and Good Shepherd as well as numerous private sector developers who can collaborate together with the City to find solutions around this significant issue using the Games as the catalyst and connector to push this agenda forward. The ultimate goal would be to create mixed-use units that contain both market-priced and subsidized spaces in the same complex or general area, ensuring that we as a city work toward ending the crippling cycle of separating the haves and the have-nots. This is Canada, and every child, regardless of their economic position, should grow up in neighbourhoods with the same opportunities as everybody else, where access to quality sports opportunities should be made available to them, not just the lucky few who can afford it.”

To that end, Hamilton 100 plans to reduce recent Games' affordable housing benefits by 75% and build three new dedicated sports venues: one for badminton (Waterdown), one for squash (Glanbrook), and one for table tennis (West Mountain).

We'll have to wait until the 2020 budget cycle (https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9668223-hamilton-faces-5-5-per-cent-tax-hike-or-service-cuts-as-grim-2020-budget-fight-looms/) to assess council's eagerness to back a tax levy for world-class ping-pong.

SteelTown
Nov 16, 2019, 8:03 AM
The website is up now

www.hamilton100.ca

https://hamilton100.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/cropped-logo54-2.jpg

SteelTown
Nov 22, 2019, 8:58 PM
We just uploaded our bid to host the 2030 Games to Commonwealth Games Canada. Now we can take a break to enjoy Grey Cup Weekend. Go Cats Go! @cgc_jcc
#hamilton100 #commonwealthgames #HamOnt

https://twitter.com/Hamilton100cg

thistleclub
Jan 15, 2020, 9:27 PM
So… Calgary (https://gamesbids.com/eng/other-games-bids/private-calgary-group-pursuing-bid-to-host-2026-commonwealth-games/) is said to be sizing up the possibilities for a 2026 Commonwealth Games bid.

Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi flags the inevitable funding worries, but he might be telegraphing an ask. He has an open line to the PM and it's conceivable a government that next to no representation between Thunder Bay and the Rockies will try to buy a little goodwill in time for the 2023 federal election.

If that bid succeeds, however, it pretty much pits the kibosh on Hamilton's 2030 prospects.

SteelTown
Feb 19, 2020, 4:44 PM
Looks like Hamilton 100 will get unanimous support from Council to proceed the next step of the bidding process.

SteelTown
Feb 19, 2020, 5:22 PM
Hosting proposal is due March 9th to Commonwealth Games Canada (CGC) and March 31st, CGC will select Canada's preferred bid city.

SteelTown
Feb 19, 2020, 7:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKDyBkX0AIk4o8?format=png&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKDzY8XYAAtCLC?format=png&name=900x900

Samantha Craggs
https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC/status/1230190570573881344

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKEtdBUUAA_lz3?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKEt-qVAAAEk4w?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKEu1UU8AAtQa9?format=jpg&name=large

Karl Andrus
https://twitter.com/karl_andrus/status/1230191594768191489

drpgq
Feb 19, 2020, 7:24 PM
At least they are willing to use pre-existing venues for the vast majority of events so the costs shouldn't be too insane.

SteelTown
Feb 19, 2020, 8:16 PM
Hamilton takes another step toward bidding to host the Commonwealth Games
The city will endorse the second phase of Hamilton 100's bid, despite concerns about what it would cost

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/commonwealth-games-1.5468336

Hamilton city councillors will take the next step in encouraging a bid to host the 100th anniversary Commonwealth Games.

City council's general issues committee voted 10-3 Wednesday to give an endorsement letter to Hamilton 100, a local group of volunteers and business people who want the city to host the games in 2030.

There are still several steps to go. Hamilton 100 will submit the second phase of its bid, along with the city's letter of endorsement, by March 9 to Commonwealth Games Canada. That group will select its preferred Canadian city by March 31, and if that's Hamilton, negotiations would start with the provincial and federal governments.

Both would have to contribute some significant money to the $1.425 billion effort. So would Hamilton, which city staff estimate will need to pitch in $300 million through private and city money.

The city hosted the first games, at that time known as the British Empire Games, in 1930.

Hamilton councillors, buoyed by Hamilton 100's promise of making the city "a major sports tourism destination for the next generation," agreed to do their part to push it ahead.

"We cannot waste the enormous effort of Hamilton 100," said Tom Jackson, Ward 6 (east Mountain) councillor. Hamilton has already bid on the games twice since it first hosted them in 1930, he said, and "I don't want to be a loser a third time."

"There is nothing lost in endorsing this," agreed Terry Whitehead, Ward 14 (west Mountain) councillor.

City staff didn't seem so sure. A long list of city staff have already been working on the games file "off the sides of our desks," said finance head Mike Zegarac, and spent all weekend working at home after the Hamilton 100 bid proposal arrived on Friday.

A successful bid would take up significant city resources, Zegarac said. His joint report recommended councillors only receive the report.

The Hamilton 100 team suggests using development charges to help pay for recreation facilities the city would need, Zegarac said. But the province is making changes around development charges, and there's no guarantee "soft" charges like recreation will be available.

"There is limited resource capacity to deliver on this scope of work," he said, "and other projects may have to be deferred for us to direct our limited resources to meet our obligations to this project."

PJ Mercanti, of Carmen's Group, told councillors this is an opportunity Hamilton can't miss, and the city's "most prominent institutions are at the table."

The athlete's village could become as many as 700 units of affordable housing, he said. The new venues will make Hamilton "a major sports tourism destination for the next generation," and Hamilton's children will be inspired.

"We owe it to them to leave them with a better city than we inherited, and not only with great new facilities," said Mercanti. He's also involved in the Hamilton Urban Precinct Arts and Entertainment Group, which wants to renovate and redevelop three downtown entertainment facilities.

John-Paul Danko, Ward 8 (west Mountain) councillor, was one of three councillors who opposed moving forward. City staff are hesitant, he said, and there's no point in stringing Hamilton 100 along if the city doesn't plan to go through with this.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger seemed ready to go all the way.

"If one isn't inspired by that, I'm not sure what would inspire one," he told the Hamilton 100 team. "As Gretzky says, you miss 100 per cent of the shots you don't take, and in my view, we have to take this one."

City council still has to ratify the move on Feb. 26.

thistleclub
Feb 20, 2020, 1:09 AM
There are still several steps to go. Hamilton 100 will submit the second phase of its bid, along with the city's letter of endorsement, by March 9 to Commonwealth Games Canada. That group will select its preferred Canadian city by March 31, and if that's Hamilton, negotiations would start with the provincial and federal governments.

Both would have to contribute some significant money to the $1.425 billion effort. So would Hamilton, which city staff estimate will need to pitch in $300 million through private and city money.

In their June 2019 delegation to council, Hamilton 100 team pegged the Games' operational costs at $1B and capital costs at $500M.

In March 2019 (https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=8513457&postcount=48), Brian MacPherson, CEO of the Commonwealth Games, apparently the basic operational cost at $1.5B, plus about $500M for capital.

So the City and private partners would essentially be paying for the post-Games legacy. (Should we throw a decade's worth of inflation on that, or would that spoil the reveal?)

The CG brain trust have yet to award the 2026 Games, delaying that process by a year so that they could be sure that they had the optimal partner. Do you imagine they'll be selective about bids on the 100th anniversary edition?

Even under a best-case scenario, we're looking at another few years of treading water while senior governments (and, Xenu willing, council's calcified lifers) lapse before the city will know if it's even in the running.

king10
Feb 20, 2020, 3:28 AM
Interesting that they note temporary or permanent seats for all venues except the 40,000 seat track stadium at Mohawk.

Also interesting they use paramount fine foods centre in Mississauga but not the meridian centre in st kitts. Also interesting that diving would be at brock and not the proposed new aquatics complex at Mac. The mac aquatic complex says 5000 temp seats but surely mac would want to keep at least some as permanent. .

SteelTown
Feb 20, 2020, 2:48 PM
Surprised no mention of Chedoke Twin Pad Arena. In the 2010 bid, Chedoke was to host table tennis, however, it looks like they want to build a new multisports complex.

Just take this with a grain of salt, eventually, it'll all change. Remember the 2015 bid? Copps was supposed to get indoor volleyball, Mac a new Aquatic Centre, etc.

realcity
Feb 20, 2020, 10:16 PM
2 councillors voted against. I think it was the usual snowflakes who don't watch or participate in sports. Danko and Wilson I think voted No. This is what Hamilton needs to get back in the game with the cancellation of LRT.

matt602
Feb 21, 2020, 2:25 AM
What a damn waste of money. Ridiculous.

TheRitsman
Feb 21, 2020, 3:03 AM
2 councillors voted against. I think it was the usual snowflakes who don't watch or participate in sports. Danko and Wilson I think voted No. This is what Hamilton needs to get back in the game with the cancellation of LRT.

Honestly I don't agree. This is one of those things that would be great if Hamilton had it's shit together, but it doesn't. It has a $3.7b Infrastructure debt, just lost LRT and is still struggling to attract major employment to the city.

The 2030 common wealth games is like bringing your wife to Ancaster mill when you're both unemployed, chequeing account is in overdraft and both of you have $2000+ credit card debts. It would be really nice, but not a great use of money.

king10
Feb 21, 2020, 3:28 AM

Danko played varsity football for mcmaster and sailed competitively. Hes currently active in mens hockey and rock climbing.

..... so that throws your narrative out the window with regards to him being a “snowflake who doesn't watch or participate in sports”

thistleclub
Feb 21, 2020, 1:44 PM
PJ Mercanti, of Carmen's Group, told councillors this is an opportunity Hamilton can't miss…

The athlete's village could become as many as 700 units of affordable housing, he said.

Bid package (https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=8835886&postcount=83) sees things differently.

Non-Sports Venue
Athlete's Village
Proposed Venue
McMaster University
Description
6,000 beds at McMaster, with food service options and meeting rooms

Mercanti is presumably talking about the officials' residences. Bid package:

Non-Sports Venue
Technical Officials Accommodation
Proposed Venue
Up to 4 sites in city centre (sites to be determined)
Description
Average of 200, 2 bedroom units per building with ground floor providing food service, meeting rooms, training rooms and social spaces

Recall Mercanti's Nov 2019 pitch to GIC (https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9681883-hamilton-on-pace-to-bid-for-2030-commonwealth-games/):

The proposal, said Hamilton 100 president P.J. Mercanti, would also include building residences in the east end and downtown to accommodate 1,500 games officials. He suggested to councillors during the Nov. 5 general issues committee meeting that once the event is over, the residences could be converted into affordable housing.

SteelTown
Apr 3, 2020, 12:00 AM
Well looks like Hamilton has been awarded the 2026 Games lol, so now they have a tough decision to make, stick with 2030 bid or take the 2026 Games?

Should Hamilton apply for the Commonwealth Games in 2026? Or gamble on 2030?

https://www.thespec.com/sports/hamilton-region/2020/04/02/hamilton-which-has-bid-for-2030-commonwealth-games-asked-to-consider-2026-games.html

Commonwealth Sport Canada — which oversees all aspects of the Commonwealth Games in this country — says the 2026 Games are Hamilton’s if the city and relevant stakeholders want them.

But if Hamilton does successfully arrange for the 2026 Games, it could not also stage the 2030 Games, for which Hamilton100, the corporation set up to plan and make Hamilton’s bid, has already submitted a strong two-part application as host committee. 

Brian MacPherson, CEO of Commonwealth Sport Canada told The Spectator Thursday afternoon that the Commonwealth Games Federation, the Games’ international governing body, has given Hamilton “first and sole” status for 2026, meaning it has the Games if it chooses to apply. 

If Hamilton doesn’t apply — or does apply but for some reason can’t come to all the necessary agreements to make it work — Hamilton would still be Canada’s only bid city for the 2030 Games but would face substantial competition from other cities around the world. 
Because of the pandemic, there are no other current bids for 2026, from any country. In the second stage of bids for 2026 and 2030 to the Canadian association on March 9, Calgary’s bid for 2026 was eliminated because it did not meet all the bidding criteria. 

The national and international bodies have requested a meeting by the end of April with all potential stakeholders in a Hamilton bid because it needs to award the 2026 Games by the end of this year, or at the very latest, in early 2021.

In a development that has been brewing for over a week, those stakeholders met by conference call Wednesday night and heard the 2026 offer from the Commonwealth Games Federation. Those on the call included the national and international Games organizations, Hamilton100, the city, and representatives of the federal and provincial governments.

“All we’re being asked right now is if we are open-minded to a conversation about it. We’re not being asked to make a decision, ” Lou Frapporti of Hamilton100, said earlier in the day.

“We’re open minded about having a discussion, it would be foolish not to be. We are appreciative and sensitive that the city is fully focused on the pandemic. We understand that it is a different world right now, but we are going to come out of on the other side of this at some point. And we are going to be facing big unemployment and economic problems in the region.

“Investment will be required very soon and we’d be foolish to turn our back on at least listening.”

There was some speculation that Hamilton might have a distant shot at both Games, but MacPherson quickly shot that down.

“Governments can’t underwrite the costs of two Games,” he said “The offer on the table is do the Games in the summer of 2026.

“It’s important to note that even they do bid and for some reason can’t make all the arrangements (to stage the 2026 event), their 2030 bid is still viable. We are not reopening the process, Hamilton would be our bid from Canada. But there would be other countries who want the 100th Anniversary Games too.”

The city, immersed in dealing with COVID-19, referred all inquiries about the Games back to Hamilton100.

Hamilton100’s bid for 2030 — playing upon the 100th anniversary of the inaugural Games (then known as the British Empire Games) held in Hamilton — had a number of critical selling points; including a collaboration of private and public investment and regionalization of some of the infrastructure and costs.

If a bid for 2026 is considered, it is probable that the private/public investing would be a central issue, but it’s also possible that there could be a broader regionalization of facilities and government investment than in the 2030 bid.

There has been no discussion about financial contributions from the national or international organizations to a Hamilton bid which would rescue the continuity of the Games an add to the value of the centennial Games, wherever they would be held.

But MacPherson did say that the Commonwealth Games Federation did provide a “sport refresh program” which would allow for reducing the number of sports (16 core sports plus two or three at-local-discretion sports) involved. That would cut costs by reducing the number of athletes and officials from 6,000 to about 4,800 and might also requiring building one or two smaller sports venues.

“The Hamilton bid, its regional character, the strength of our province, would make us a very compelling host city in 2026,” Frapporti said earlier. “Because we feel an obligation of stewardship to the Games as the city who give it birth, it would seem short-sighted to refuse to be open to a conversation.

“The priorities that we have spoken about in our bid around investment, research, innovation, affordable housing — along with tourism, hospitality, athletics and wellness — take on an entirely different meaning owing to the virus and the massive economic dislocation this is causing.”

Dr Awesomesauce
Apr 4, 2020, 12:50 AM
^Considering the time frame and the complete lack of certainty that awaits us, I'd say thanks but no thanks.

realcity
Apr 4, 2020, 3:15 PM
stick with 2030, better chance against Australia or someone else. What Calgary dropped out of 2026 so Canada Commonwealth Canada tells Hamilton to go for it. Stick with the plan for 2030, we have lots to build and Hamilton can't do anything fast.

Berklon
Apr 5, 2020, 2:35 AM
^Considering the time frame and the complete lack of certainty that awaits us, I'd say thanks but no thanks.

My response to this before covid-19 was "No. Get lost."

My response today is "Hell, no! Go F yourself!"

Markus83
Apr 5, 2020, 1:14 PM
Put that money to good use, affordable housing, mental health, increase of ambulances, we currently have a shortfall of approx. 200 firefighters, not to mention more resources for local hospitals, plus a 100 hundred other things this city needs well, well before these games. Absolute nonsense imhp, but hey, that is, just my opinion, one of many. I'm certainly not the one running the show.

king10
Apr 6, 2020, 2:18 AM
stick with 2030, better chance against Australia or someone else. What Calgary dropped out of 2026 so Canada Commonwealth Canada tells Hamilton to go for it. Stick with the plan for 2030, we have lots to build and Hamilton can't do anything fast.

2026 has no bids from any other countries, not just canada.

SteelTown
Apr 11, 2020, 4:02 PM
Hamilton could host the 2026 Commonwealth Games — but does the city want them?
Hamilton's mayor says the games are not a priority right now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-could-host-the-2026-commonwealth-games-but-does-the-city-want-them-1.5524513

With Hamilton offered "first and sole" consideration for the 2026 Commonwealth Games, the city must now decide whether they want to commit to hosting the massive sporting event four years earlier than anticipated.

But as the city works around the clock to get COVID-19 under control, Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger said it's not an "appropriate time" to make decisions around the Commonwealth Games and that the bid group will likely have a "difficult" time getting city approval.

"We're in no position right now to be dealing with that kind of decision, given the current circumstances that we're dealing with around the crisis and pandemic," Eisenberger told CBC News.

On March 26, Hamilton was selected as the country's preferred host city for the 2030 games, according to Commonwealth Sport Canada CEO Brian MacPherson.

That same day, the Hamilton 100 Committee, which assembled the bid, was notified by the Commonwealth Games Federation that they could choose to host the 2026 games, as there were no other potential bidders.

"It's been a heck of a roller-coaster," said Louis Frapporti, a lead member on the Hamilton 100 Committee." I think (this is) exacerbated, obviously, by the dislocation and disruption everybody's feeling with the pandemic."

Though Calgary had submitted a bid to represent Canada in the 2026 games, MacPherson said the city was not selected because it didn't secure support from its municipal and provincial governments.

Hamilton anticipated spending $1.425 billion on the 2030 games, though it's too soon to say what that price-tag will look like should they decide to go after the earlier date.

Eisenberger said he anticipates there will be conversations about the decision, though nothing has been formally organized.

The mayor added that at this time, he prefers 2030 and is hearing the same from councillors because it offers them a longer timeline. The city isn't planning to make a decision until June or later, though their understanding is that the Commonwealth's international body wants to know by end of May.

The bid group has until the end of April to express interest in pursuing the 2026 games. Should they choose to move forward, the group will start having discussions with all stakeholders, including the different levels of government, Frapporti said.

To be officially awarded the gig, the bid group will need to satisfy all requirements and receive multi-party agreement.

'We need to rebuild'

But, Frapporti told CBC, the COVID-19 pandemic complicates the decision to pursue the games in 2026 — mainly because ending the virus is currently everyone's top priority.

On the other hand, Frapporti said, it's important to look ahead.

COVID-19 will have "profound economic consequences," he said, and the games might just help stabilize the local economy.

During a press conference last week, Eisenberger said he didn't know exactly how much money the city was bleeding, but that he believes the figure is in the millions in terms of lost revenue and rising expenses.

He likened it to the Great Depression.

"This is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this," Eisenberger said, adding that, "It is a bad movie getting worse."

Frapporti said he believes the games could help restore what has been "devastated" by the pandemic, including employment, stimulus spending, the tourism and hospitality industries, among other things.

"We couldn't have expected the pandemic, but now that it's hit, the tornado has come through, we need to rebuild," he said. "This is a really, really powerful way of doing that much sooner than anybody could have hoped and that's a conversation that we think is important to have at the appropriate moment."

In addition to all this, part of the reason the city had bid for the 2030 games was because it would be the 100th anniversary of the first games, which also took place in Hamilton as the British Empire Games.

Frapporti acknowledged that a big part of the support they received from the city and stakeholders was because of the significance of the event for Hamilton.

"In my mind for Canadians and for Hamiltonians, it's the 100th anniversary and that certainly resonates well with me...and to celebrate them again 100 years later, right back to where it started from has a lot of cachet in my mind," Eisenberger said.

"So it would be a pretty big leap for me to to switch from that to go to another date that doesn't have the same kind of commemorative value to it."

Should the bid group decide not to pursue 2026, they will likely have to compete against international bidders for 2030.