PDA

View Full Version : Snow clearing

MolsonExport
Jan 8, 2010, 2:23 PM
fvck, I am sick of the shitty condition of the roads. 4 days running, and my road still has not been plowed (it is not even a piddling road, but rather a busy one). I have lived in 9 different cities in Canada, and by far, the crappiest snow clearing is here in London (ironically, I pay the highest mill rate-taxes-here than I've ever paid elsewhere).

How is snow clearing in your neighborhoods?

manny_santos
Jan 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
I've found road clearing to be not so bad this winter, but sidewalk clearing has been horrible. Even in the downtown area.

Spicol
Jan 11, 2010, 7:43 PM
I also live on a rather busy street parallel to a major route. Consistently, my sidewalk is done before the road, mere hours after snowfalls as opposed to the days it takes to do my road.

manny_santos
Jan 12, 2010, 1:42 AM
fvck, I am sick of the shitty condition of the roads. 4 days running, and my road still has not been plowed (it is not even a piddling road, but rather a busy one). I have lived in 9 different cities in Canada, and by far, the crappiest snow clearing is here in London (ironically, I pay the highest mill rate-taxes-here than I've ever paid elsewhere).

Could be worse. Some municipalities in B.C. do not even own snow-clearing equipment. If they get snow, they're screwed, especially since drivers aren't as used to it as us. It's happened in Victoria, where I believe there is only one plow for the entire city or some such thing.

Snark
Jan 12, 2010, 4:22 AM

So, why not leave? Yup - leave London. Poor service, high tax rates, and as you imply - corrupt politicians including the mayor (and her husband). London is a dreadful place, so you say, so why not move to Timbuktu or where ever? Surely it will be better than the a$$hole of the Earth that you claim that London is. Bitch about high taxes, then bitch about lack of service - you want it all yet with no cost.

Haters bitch, leaders have solutions.

You have never provided solutions.

BTW: Why would a Supervisor bother to service a hater's street first anyway? Sixty hours a week, could make double in the public sector, no thanks but comments as above.....

Stop going to the mods whining. You bitch without ever providing alternatives. Intellectually bankrupt. Provide alternative models.....(but you never do)

MolsonExport
Jan 12, 2010, 2:22 PM
Go away, Snark. Your only posts consist of

-, or viscerally and personal angry rebuttals.

Yup, gonna report you again, for getting totally personal without due cause.

Snow clearing is an essential service. I paid more than $4000 in municipal taxes to the city of London last year. For this, I expect that the roads be cleared within 2 days of a major snowstorm, so that I may safely drive my children to daycare. After 4 days, and nothing done (and I might add, many of my neighbors equally irate about this), I have every right to voice my dissatisfaction.

MolsonExport
Jan 12, 2010, 2:30 PM
Aside from the last post (see above), here are all the recent posts by snark. In each and every one of these posts, he is viscerally angry and is very personal in directing his anger.

Nope

This guy makes wild accusations without foundation and makes them personal. In business he would be sued for libel.

He is grossly ignorant of how a municipality works, yet makes wild accusations.

His words are poison.

Your gross ignorance is exceeded only by your personal bitterness.
You are incorrect on almost every one of your finger-pointing exercises, and beyond that you make it personal. Are you a jilted lover to AMDC, or what?

You have absolutely no idea of which you talk about, yet you ramble on like some jilted alcoholic.

You give this BB zero credibility. You are what gives the internet a credibility crisis.

A bitter looser who has no idea what he is talking about.

Oops... sorry, this story doesn't align with the prevailing dogma of the majority of posters at this site. Please remember the following protocol:

1) The City Of London is run by idiot politicians. How they tie their shoes every day is a mystery.
2) The mayor runs every operation down to the very last detail and is personally responsible for all failings.
3) The state of the public transit system is the most important thing in the entire city - bar none.
4) All municipal employees are incompetent, and as our esteemed university professor here calls it, they operate a "shithole". Perhaps they should all be shot.
5) All London private developments are dreadful. No exceptions.
6) All Londoners are whitebread, middle class zombies who are all, in turn idiots and not all all "progressive".
7) Anyone who posts any "good news" as the story above are liars, paid off, or incompetent (including Moodys). The fact on this site is that London is the absolutely worst place on Earth and is headed only downward from there. After all, total ignorance of how things are done is no reason whatsoever not to continue to bitch away at things without any foundation.
8) Do not discuss skyscrapers, or for that matter any other form of architecture - unless it is a negative comment on buildings that use concrete.

Wow, another completely wrong statement on this site (does it ever end?) - except for one thing: BRT won't cost billions like LRT.

So, what's your definition of "rich"? $40,000/year? $80,000/year? $100,000/year? Pray tell.

The median income for London families was nearly identical to the provincial median in the last census. You have no idea what you are talking about.

That number was a little under $69,000/year. That will very barely pay the bills for a family with a mortgage, car payments, and kids. Perhaps you feel that qualifies that family as a bunch of rich snobs.

And, if you think that a prosperous, successful community is a bad thing, please pack your bags and move to Istanbul like your friend. Please comrade, as soon as possible.

manny_santos
Jan 13, 2010, 2:33 AM
I concur with MolsonExport, as some of these very angry, personal posts have been directed at myself.

However, I have no desire to further discuss what I've stated about London in the past. All I can say, I want to see London be successful and competitive with other cities in Canada and the world but it cannot be as long as things remain the way they are. London has to change dramatically and it starts with the attitude of its people.

MolsonExport
Jan 13, 2010, 4:08 AM
^thanks Manny, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. This is the city where my two children were born...I want to see it become more successful and emerge from its long dormancy.