View Full Version : North End Roundabout

Jonovision
Dec 26, 2009, 4:00 PM
This was in todays Herald.

Roundabout panned
Blumenthal vows to fight proposed traffic circle
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Sat. Dec 26 - 4:46 AM

A traffic circle could be coming to north-end Halifax, but it comes as startling news to the area’s municipal councillor.

And he hates the idea.

Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said he had no clue a plan is in the works to potentially convert the intersection of Devonshire Avenue, Duffus Street and Novalea Drive to a single-lane roundabout.

He expressed shock over the proposal when contacted recently by The Chronicle Herald.

The proposal can be found in a list of tender calls on Halifax Regional Municipality’s website. The city is seeking engineering consulting services for the proposed roundabout, and firms have until the end of business on Jan. 15 to apply. The successful bidder would participate in two public information meetings.

If the intersection is changed to a roundabout, the request for proposals says, the job would include curb and gutter work, drainage, lighting design and landscaping.

The last time a full-fledged roundabout was built in the city was in 2007, when the bumper-cars-style Armdale Rotary was converted to a proper traffic circle. There was lots of city hall-generated publicity surrounding that $2.9-million task, which was eventually linked to the controversial widening of Chebucto Road last year.

But the proposed project for the peninsula’s north end hasn’t generated the same level of public notice from the municipality. In fact, the top people at Halifax city hall were not even aware a plan was in the works.

An incredulous Mr. Blumenthal said Wednesday he intended to phone Mayor Peter Kelly before Christmas Eve to find out what’s going on.

"Right now, I’m so (ticked off) there’s no sense me answering questions because I don’t know anything about it," the councillor said.

On Thursday, Mr. Blumenthal said he had learned that the city’s traffic authority bureaucrat, Ken Reashor, is behind the "concept" or "feasibility study," but those in the dark about the project included Mr. Kelly and Dan English, the municipality’s chief administrative officer.

"It might be a concept idea, but it burns me that I didn’t know anything about it, the mayor didn’t know anything about it and the CAO didn’t know anything about it," Mr. Blumenthal said. "I don’t care if it is a concept plan to see if a feasibility study is going to be made of this — it’s stupid."

Mr. Reashor couldn’t be reached on Friday evening.

A federal funding application, shown on the municipality’s website, asks city staff to list the planned project’s benefits.

"The redesign of (the intersection) will increase vehicular capacity, improve intersection safety and reduce delays, resulting in reduced greenhouse gas emissions," the reply says.

According to the request for proposals, construction of the roundabout would be preceded by the delivery of a preliminary design to city hall. That report is scheduled to be presented in mid-April, and an open house would take place on June 20.

The final design is to be submitted in July.

The intersection now has five corners. Four corners have houses on them and the other is a commercial site with a drugstore and parking lot.

Mr. Blumenthal vowed to oppose any move to change the intersection to a roundabout.

"I’ll fight it right to the hilt," he said.

The site being considered for reconfiguration is north of Fort Needham Memorial Park and just west of Devonshire Arena. The city’s proposal request says "traffic modelling indicates that the intersection would operate at a high level of service if converted to a single-lane roundabout."

It includes a schematic design of the proposed traffic circle and guidelines for project management.

"HRM recognizes that project management is an essential part of this project, therefore a monthly written progress report is required to be submitted," the request says.

Mr. Blumenthal said he can’t understand any perceived need to convert the intersection to a roundabout.

"As far as I’m concerned, it’s a wild statement to even put down on paper," he said.

( mlightstone@herald.ca)

phrenic
Dec 26, 2009, 4:12 PM
Understanding that he should have been told about the proposal, I don't get how he can claim "I don’t know anything about it" and yet consider it stupid.

hfx_chris
Dec 26, 2009, 5:57 PM
Can anyone please confirm whether or not there even is a traffic problem at this intersection? I used to go through there in a north-south direction twice a day during rush hour for 3 years, and I never experienced any traffic delays that would constitute completely redoing the intersection in such a huge way, in my opinion.

someone123
Dec 26, 2009, 6:13 PM
Mr. Blumenthal seems like the kind of guy who is frequently startled and has no clue.

There isn't enough information here to say anything either way about this proposal. There's nothing inherently bad about roundabouts, in fact they can easily be much better than intersections, even for pedestrians.

Dmajackson
Dec 26, 2009, 6:21 PM
Seems like a good idea but I can't really say anything from experience (I've only used the intersection a handful of times).

One problem I might have with it is one of the houses in the way appears to be a Hydrostone building ...

someone123
Dec 26, 2009, 6:24 PM
Houses in the way? I saw no mention of any land expropriation or demolition, and it seems very unlikely that would be necessary for a single lane roundabout. This is a very minor traffic project.

Dmajackson
Dec 26, 2009, 6:27 PM
Houses in the way? I saw no mention of any land expropriation or demolition, and it seems very unlikely that would be necessary for a single lane roundabout. This is a very minor traffic project.

Whoops my bad I read the article wrong when I posted that a Hydrostone building might be in the way.

Jstaleness
Dec 26, 2009, 7:20 PM
Can anyone please confirm whether or not there even is a traffic problem at this intersection? I used to go through there in a north-south direction twice a day during rush hour for 3 years, and I never experienced any traffic delays that would constitute completely redoing the intersection in such a huge way, in my opinion.

There is no traffic problem imo. I go through only 3-4 times per week including rushhour but have never sat behind more than 2 cars at red lights. I happen to like the intersection the way it is.

hfx_chris
Dec 26, 2009, 10:26 PM
There is no traffic problem imo. I go through only 3-4 times per week including rushhour but have never sat behind more than 2 cars at red lights. I happen to like the intersection the way it is.

Same here. I always found traffic runs rather well, despite being a relatively complicated intersection.

Novalea
Dec 26, 2009, 11:17 PM
I have no real issue with a roundabout here (except the delays and noise during construction), but I really see no problem with the current configuration. We use the intersection at least twice daily and never have to wait very long.

There have to be other intersections that see higher traffic volumes than this one where it would make more sense to construct a roundabout.

Hopefully, the person elected to represent us will actually do that, instead of dismissing the concept without any information or public input.

hfx_chris
Dec 27, 2009, 12:56 AM
Perhaps he's dismissing it because he too feels it is no needed in this location, and would needlessly inconvenience a lot of people during construction?

Takeo
Dec 27, 2009, 3:32 AM
Two thoughts 1) I live a block from this intersection and I never ever have more than a car or two (on a bad day) in front of me at a red light. I have no idea what "problem" this roundabout is trying to solve. There is absolutely no traffic issue at this intersection whatsoever. 2) My counsellor is a doofus.

alps
Dec 27, 2009, 4:26 AM
I like the idea of a roundabout here. At night you can spend an abnormally long time sitting at the light with no other cars in sight.

-Harlington-
Dec 27, 2009, 6:14 PM
I wouldnt mind a roundabout here,
although i also find it slightly unnessecary.

Takeo
Dec 27, 2009, 6:16 PM
I like the idea of a roundabout here. At night you can spend an abnormally long time sitting at the light with no other cars in sight.

So you're saying we should waste money making an intersection faster BECAUSE there is no traffic at it? The bottom line is simple. There is no traffic problem at this intersection. Period.

hfx_chris
Dec 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
So then the only fix required is to tweak the programming of the traffic signals so it isn't just timed, but relies on switches in the road to determine when to change the lights. No need to tear everything up and inconvenience a huge number of people on their daily commutes.

Dmajackson
Dec 29, 2009, 5:14 AM
While I can see the reasoning behind a roundabout in this area I think a better use of the municipalities money right now would be installing other roundabouts at alternate and busier intersections in town. For example Oxford @ North @ Chebucto, or North Park @ Cogswell would be good locations.

ScovaNotian
Dec 29, 2009, 12:36 PM
While I can see the reasoning behind a roundabout in this area I think a better use of the municipalities money right now would be installing other roundabouts at alternate and busier intersections in town. For example Oxford @ North @ Chebucto, or North Park @ Cogswell would be good locations.

Agreed. I'd guess that the Devonshire location is the only one where there is enough space not to have to talk to adjacent property owners. In order to be eligible for federal stimulus funding construction will have to be underway by some deadline next year, doesn't it?

Takeo
Dec 29, 2009, 4:26 PM
Roundabouts are a nightmare for pedestrians. I work at the Armdale Rotary and you take your life in your own hands trying to get across that thing. Cars constantly fly out of all sides of it like a slingshot. I live in the Hydrostone and I would argue that the intersection at Novalea and Duffus actually gets more pedestrian traffic than vehicular traffic. There are a number of schools and daycares in the area. This is no place to put in one of these pedestrian suicide traps. A roundabout is not suited to an area that is 99.9% residential.

-Harlington-
Dec 29, 2009, 4:36 PM
Roundabouts are a nightmare for pedestrians. I work at the Armdale Rotary and you take your life in your own hands trying to get across that thing. Cars constantly fly out of all sides of it like a slingshot. I live in the Hydrostone and I would argue that the intersection at Novalea and Duffus actually gets more pedestrian traffic than vehicular traffic. There are a number of schools and daycares in the area. This is no place to put in one of these pedestrian suicide traps. A roundabout is not suited to an area that is 99.9% residential.

I agree with takeo on this one, if your going to put something that solves traffic problems anywhere you should probly put it where there is actually traffic problems, and not where it might kill someone.

pascalosti
Dec 30, 2009, 4:38 PM
I like roundabouts I've never been to that location though so I can't comment. The place I think needs one is on the corner of N Park st & Cogswell (six streets) and its really confusing and usually a long wait.

Takeo
Dec 30, 2009, 5:43 PM
I like roundabouts I've never been to that location though so I can't comment. The place I think needs one is on the corner of N Park st & Cogswell (six streets) and its really confusing and usually a long wait.

That is a messed up intersection. I think there is still the pedestrian issue though. If roundabouts could have lights which would stop all traffic for a few minutes to let pedestrians safely get across... that would be fine. I often make my way around Armdale on my lunch breaks... on foot... and you have to be extremely careful. It's scary getting through that thing with cars flying out of it in all directions.

Dmajackson
Jan 5, 2010, 12:40 AM
Going back to school today reminded me of an intersection out here in Bedford that is in bad need of a makeover and looking at the layout, frequent accidents and high traffic volumes it is safe to say this should be a priority over Novlea @ Devonshire for roundabout installation (double lane style).

For anybody who hasn't guessed it yet I'm talking about;

Rocky Lake Dr @ Bedford Highway (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rfp2yk9pvvg0&scene=43578670&lvl=2&sty=b)

Halifax Hillbilly
Jan 5, 2010, 11:49 PM
That is a messed up intersection. I think there is still the pedestrian issue though. If roundabouts could have lights which would stop all traffic for a few minutes to let pedestrians safely get across... that would be fine. I often make my way around Armdale on my lunch breaks... on foot... and you have to be extremely careful. It's scary getting through that thing with cars flying out of it in all directions.

I have no doubt the Armdale rotary can be dangerous for pedestrians, but I'm not sure this is a problem inherent to roundabouts in general. Maybe traffic in Armdale moves quite quickly due to the large circle, making it unsafe for pedestrians? It also has very high traffic volume, which is different than the North End corner in question.

I know roundabouts and traffic circles are quite popular in Europe and are being picked up by cities like Vancouver, where I believe they are used as traffic calming measures. Vancouver has been pretty progressive about pedestrianism, which leads me to believe that roundabouts might not be inherently bad for pedestrians, if properly designed. The main benefit of roundabouts for pedestrians is that traffic is forced to slow down, which is not necessarily the case at intersections. Judging by the article below the key is picking the right intersection, with moderate traffic volume (not the rotary!).

From an article on an Australian experience
" Roundabouts were used in preference to traffic signals within the city centre, where traffic volumes were not sufficiently high to create a barrier for pedestrians wishing to cross at the intersection. In some other instances, where traffic volumes were higher, traffic signals were used.
Public opinion is shared between a preference for roundabouts and traffic signals. Many pedestrians consider that traffic signals provide a higher level of safety at intersections, although no perceptible difference in the number of accidents has been shown to exist in practice."

http://www.ite.org/traffic/documents/AHA98C12.pdf

The Willlow Tree could be a good candidate for a roundabout, but could also be hell for pedestrians.

Novalea
Jan 7, 2010, 3:01 PM
FYI the RFP has been cancelled.

Halifax Hillbilly
Jan 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
Do we know why?

Novalea
Jan 8, 2010, 1:44 AM
Do we know why?

No, sorry, I only received an email from HRM procurement to advise it had been cancelled. There were no details included.

alps
Jan 8, 2010, 5:17 AM
I wish I knew more about how well (or poorly) roundabouts work in England with regard to pedestrian flow. I'm guessing the city is holding out because of the Blumenthal snit.

mylesmalley
Jan 8, 2010, 8:13 AM
I think you'd avoid the issue of pedestrian safety just by moving the crosswalks further away from the roundabout. That way, traffic won't be impeded as it moves through the circle, and there'd be less of a concern that drivers would miss pedestrians while being focused on the other vehicles in the circle. As well, this would allow for signalled crossings without disrupting traffic throughout the intersection.

As for Europe, I can't say in all cases. However really large ones I've come across sometimes have pedestrian crosswalks that pass under the roadway.

Dmajackson
Jan 8, 2010, 7:00 PM
North-end roundabout ditched, at least for now
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Fri. Jan 8 - 4:46 AM

City hall has put the brakes on a contentious proposal for a roundabout in north-end Halifax.

The concept is off the drawing board for now, the district’s councillor said Thursday, but it hasn’t been permanently erased.

Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said the proposal could still be resurrected in the spring, after local residents and business operators are consulted.

For now, though, a formal proposal request that had been issued by Halifax Regional Municipality — the city was seeking engineering services to look at building a roundabout near the Devonshire Arena — is cancelled.

As far as Mr. Blumenthal is concerned, it’s good riddance to a bad idea. He said he asked the municipality’s traffic manager, Ken Reashor, to scrap the request for proposals and he agreed.

Mr. Blumenthal said he was contacted by about 50 to 60 people after The Chronicle Herald reported in late December that the traffic circle proposal was being considered, and the vast majority were opposed to it.

"I had a meeting with (Mr. Reashor) on Monday," the councillor said. "I said: ‘I’d like you to cancel it now, because there’s no sense in trying to have a public meeting during the winter time.’ "

Before the request proposal was yanked, engineering consultants had been invited to work on potentially converting the intersection of Devonshire Avenue, Duffus Street and Novalea Drive to a single-lane roundabout. Mr. Blumenthal said there isn’t enough traffic there to require a roundabout.

If the municipality had gone ahead with the tender call, firms would have had until Jan. 15 to apply. The successful bidder would have had to participate in two public information meetings.

If the city’s traffic authority wants to pursue the scheme, a public meeting should be held in the community before a new proposal request is issued, Mr. Blumenthal said.

( mlightstone@herald.ca )

hfx_chris
Jan 9, 2010, 5:58 PM
Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said the proposal could still be resurrected in the spring, after local residents and business operators are consulted.

The way it should be done...