PDA

View Full Version : Sun readers have spoken and the best pizza in Metro Vancouver is .

SpongeG
Dec 14, 2009, 8:36 PM
I've never tried nats has anyone?

Sun readers have spoken and the best pizza in Metro Vancouver is .

Nat's New York Pizzeria -- but opinions vary and are very strongly held

I love pizza, slice or pie, but there is way too much bad pizza in Metro Vancouver.

I still feel the loss of Did's Pizza like a pain in a phantom limb.

Their New York-style pesto slice was quite simply the b est thing you could put in your mouth when the bar let out.

The New York slice is an under-represented pizza style in this city and Chicago deep dish hardly exists at all. Italian style pizza and nouveau al forno abound, but few are worth the trip.

These days only Cipriano's on Main does a pie worthy of driving out of your way for. My opinion. Ragazzi isn't bad for delivery, but you have to live in the right neighbourhood and that would be Renfrew on the east side.

The cardboard slices that you buy on every street corner might fill your stomach but they leave your soul emptier than ever.

They seem to come from a country that I can't quite pinpoint on my globe.

full: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/readers+have+spoken+best+pizza+Metro+Vancouver/2334278/story.html

NetMapel
Dec 14, 2009, 8:44 PM
Somehow, I find this a poorly written and confusing article. It doesn't even tell me where Nat's New York Pizzeria is, so how am I going to pay the joint a visit ?

djh
Dec 14, 2009, 8:47 PM
I've never tried nats has anyone?

Who's the author of the article? Please remember to quote the author if you're going to cut & paste their work. Let alone being forum rules. And helps to make this article make sense.

Sorry to be a stickler on this but since I'm a content creator I'd expect the same of my own work, otherwise I consider it theft.

WarrenC12
Dec 14, 2009, 8:51 PM
Wow, horrible journalism to the rescue.

I can speak for Ragazzi's, it's great. You can eat in if you want, they have a few tables and a big screen TV. Near Renfrew and East 22nd for the record...

Zassk
Dec 14, 2009, 8:56 PM
Full agreement on the article's mention of Steveston Pizza, they are worth a trip just to try them. I thought they were opening another outlet in the northeast sector, but I guess that fell through.

vanlaw
Dec 14, 2009, 9:00 PM
Wow, horrible journalism to the rescue.

I can speak for Ragazzi's, it's great. You can eat in if you want, they have a few tables and a big screen TV. Near Renfrew and East 22nd for the record...

It helps that it is close by, but i havent ordered anywhere other then ragazzi for a few years now. great pizza

flight_from_kamakura
Dec 14, 2009, 9:26 PM
nat's the best pizza? hm, i'm not sure if that's a stronger indictment of vancouver pizza or the people who responded to the "survey".

cipriano's isn't all that bad, but still. a lesson to any entrepreneurial forumers: open a good high temp (maybe wood fired) oven pizza joint, go with a milk crust, use good ingredients (like prosciutto and real reggiano cheese), go liberal with the olive oil, stick with boccocini or whatever, and serve it up at a reasonable price - and you're a mere hop, skip and nytimes article away from pattison luncheons and soirees at the segals' and so forth.

Distill3d
Dec 14, 2009, 9:30 PM
Really? The Raven in Deep Cove has better pizza than Nat's.

thenorthofvan
Dec 14, 2009, 10:12 PM
Really? The Raven in Deep Cove has better pizza than Nat's.

Amen.

SpongeG
Dec 15, 2009, 12:09 AM
where is nats? never heard of it before

worldwide
Dec 15, 2009, 12:34 AM
freshslice

quobobo
Dec 15, 2009, 12:41 AM
freshslice

Weird. I always thought Fresh Slice was desperation pizza - good if there's nothing else open, but otherwise disappointing and soggy. You're the first person I've met who actually likes it.

LeftCoaster
Dec 15, 2009, 12:57 AM
Freshslice is atrocious.

Rocky mountain flatbread co in Kits makes a mean za... and its tough to beat flying wedge for delivery.

WarrenC12
Dec 15, 2009, 1:42 AM
Fresh Slice is the 2nd best cheap pizza. Uncle Fatih's is the best. You can't compare the ~$1.50/slice places with everything else.

I don't trust the opinion of anyone who refers to it as "za". :rolleyes:

LeftCoaster
Dec 15, 2009, 1:50 AM
nerd

giallo
Dec 15, 2009, 2:45 AM
Nat's has a location on Denman and another one on Broadway. The pizza is ok, definitely not 'Best in the City' worthy. It just goes to show that despite Vancouver having a ton of pizza joints, the stuff coming out of them is pretty low grade. Shanghai has better pizza per capita than Vancouver if you can believe it.

I always liked Amore Pizza across from the library for a decent $1.50 slice.

worldwide
Dec 15, 2009, 3:07 AM
i was joking about freshslice... although its not the worst out there, its far from the best.

i enjoy royal hut pizza on 6th in new west for a good 1.50 slice.

haven't eaten at too many upscale pizza joints but my homemade crust makes a mean pie

SpongeG
Dec 15, 2009, 3:21 AM
i was walking down granville street on saturday evening and i overheard a tourist say to his friend - whhats with all the pizza places on this street?

all of them were empty at that time - waiting for the drunken masses to hit

MistyMountainHop
Dec 15, 2009, 3:21 AM
Nat's is awesome.

vancityrox
Dec 15, 2009, 3:27 AM
Uncle Fah Ti is probably my favorite budget pizza place in Vancouver. I love it with sesame seeds on the crust. Reminds me of Chez Dany in Montreal. God i miss that place and the pieces were 2 times bigger :(

For Al Forno Italian pizzaria's, i have to say Lombardo's on Commercial Drive is the one to beat. Something about thin crust pizza cooked in wood ovens on stone, it just cant be beat.

oh and Im not too crazy about MegaBite or Fresh slice. Their pizza isnt as flavourful as Fah Ti's. It kinda leaves you unsatisfied after eating 3 slices lol

NetMapel
Jan 23, 2010, 2:54 AM
Ok so I had Nat's NY Pizza the other day. It's ok but nothing to write home about. On the other hand, I also recently was introduced to Ocean Park Village and Pub (http://oceanparkvillagepub.com/) and they make MUCH BETTER pizza. Given that our region is fairly small, I say this is worth the travel :D

Rusty Gull
Jan 23, 2010, 5:50 AM
For cheap slices, I used to be a big fan of Johnny's on Granville Street (and West Broadway)... but I don't think it's as good as it used to be.

On the higher end, I love DJJs in North Van, and a place called Pony in Pemberton.

Oh, and Steamworks thin crust pizza is actually very good.

jlousa
Jan 23, 2010, 6:08 AM
The pizza at the Shangri-la's Urban Fare is pretty great, they have one with artichoke hearts that is really tasty.

urbandreamer
Mar 4, 2010, 11:04 AM
What do you locals think of Goldies? I found it quite decent for the price. (Not in the same league as Terroni in Toronto of course.)

thefly
Mar 4, 2010, 4:18 PM
The pizza at the Shangri-la's Urban Fare is pretty great, they have one with artichoke hearts that is really tasty.

For pizza by weight, like in Rome, I prefer Sciue's on Pender over Urban.

http://www.sciue.ca/home.php

Spoolmak
Mar 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
there was an awesome pizza place off robson on bute, I think it's the bread garden now, but it was great at 3 am!!

jsbertram
Mar 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
nat's the best pizza? hm, i'm not sure if that's a stronger indictment of vancouver pizza or the people who responded to the "survey".

cipriano's isn't all that bad, but still. a lesson to any entrepreneurial forumers: open a good high temp (maybe wood fired) oven pizza joint, go with a milk crust, use good ingredients (like prosciutto and real reggiano cheese), go liberal with the olive oil, stick with boccocini or whatever, and serve it up at a reasonable price - and you're a mere hop, skip and nytimes article away from pattison luncheons and soirees at the segals' and so forth.

I've heard that Vancouver has outlawed new wood fired pizza ovens, but has allowed existing restaurants using wood ovens to keep using them. Not sure why they've banned new wood ovens. Too much smoke and CO2 for the neighbours?

CBeats
Mar 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
Whole Foods pizza is where it's at. Any toppings you could ever want with any sauce and whole wheat or white base. Thin crust. But it's not the cheapest around, although getting a quarter of a pizza for $3.49 is ok with me...

The spinach, mushroom, tomato, pesto, blue cheese pizza is super popular there.