PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton: Hub City

SteelTown
Dec 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hamilton: goods movement hub?
Newly formed committee charged with setting up body to market region as transportation gateway

December 09, 2009
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/687101

Local business leaders and academics are setting the wheels in motion to make Hamilton a transportation and goods movement hub.

The Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with the McMaster Institute for Transportation and Logistics and private industry players, has struck an advisory committee charged with setting up an independent body to market the region as a gateway.

If done right, it could mean big money and it's one of the pillars of the city's economic development strategy.

The region's road, rail, air and marine links, along with its proximity to major U.S. and Canadian markets, could land up to 60,000 jobs and $4.8 billion in economic spinoffs over 20 years, according to an MITL report released in June.

The institute recommended setting up a standalone umbrella marketing group as a key first step.

"The MITL study was a critical component because the fact has been proven that this is a natural gateway," said advisory committee chair Demetrius Tsafaridis.

"It's all here, we have to put it to work and build a marketing arm to sell it."

To kick off the drive to bring more industry stakeholders into the talks, the chamber hosted a luncheon yesterday with keynote speaker Chris Gutierrez, president of Kansas City's SmartPort.

SmartPort is a non-profit group established in 2000 and funded by its members.

It covers 18 counties across two states and is charged with selling Kansas City, Mo., as a good place to set up shop for rail, river, air and truck transportation, logistics and warehousing.

He said focusing on goods movement has meant major bridge and highway improvements and attracting many new corporate residents. For instance, outdoor gear-maker Coleman recently settled into a million-square-foot facility.

"We've changed the market for industrial deals in Kansas City," Gutierrez said.

The critical factor is being ready to move quickly. The Coleman warehouse was finished 10 months after the first phone inquiry was made.

"By the time companies realize they need a distribution centre, they need it yesterday. ... You have to be open for business."

There are now three intermodal logistics parks under way in the region, said Gutierrez, including the transformation of a 565-hectare former air force base.

"These three projects alone, with the jobs and economic development they'll bring, will have a $1-billion projected impact on Kansas City."

Gutierrez says Hamilton is ahead of the game, compared to Kansas City's progress in the same time frame.

"You've leapfrogged the five or six years it took us to develop an action plan," he said.

"I applaud your progress. There is real leadership here. You recognize the opportunities in freight transportation and logistics and you have an opportunity to take it to the next level."

He urged stakeholders to push forward aggressively, something echoed by Hamilton International Airport CEO Richard Koroscil:

"There is a lot of competition out there and a lot of players coming into the game. We have to get moving forward."

The advisory committee has some seed money from private sources and has applied for federal funding through the Southern Ontario Development Agency, said chamber CEO John Dolbec.

The goal is to bring more local players into the process, including major retailers and manufacturers, freight and trucking companies and anyone else linked to transportation.

Ongoing funding will be mostly private, says Tsafaridis, president of CareGo, which includes warehousing, transportation and supply chain management firms.

The advisory committee is kicking around a name for the new organization and will eventually hire someone to lead it.

Jon Dalton
Dec 9, 2009, 6:51 PM
By transportation, you mean
http://www.raisethehammer.org/images/traffic_warning_sign.jpg

SteelTown
Dec 10, 2009, 12:22 AM
I think that's an unfair assesment for creating a hub city. The real problem is the layout of our streets and stop-lights with regards to trucks.

coalminecanary
Dec 10, 2009, 2:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with being a transportation/distribution hub, but the routes which make it a work have no place in a downtown core.

We had better get the existing trucking rules up to snuff before we throw ourselves into this ring....

go_leafs_go02
Dec 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
By transportation, you mean
http://www.raisethehammer.org/images/traffic_warning_sign.jpg

Honestly, what decade are we living in?

FairHamilton
Dec 11, 2009, 12:01 AM
Honestly, what decade are we living in?

It's a spoof.

go_leafs_go02
Dec 11, 2009, 4:13 AM
It's a spoof.

Honestly, it had me fooled, although I spent a few minutes reading trying to believe it wasn't real.

Jon Dalton
Dec 11, 2009, 4:57 AM
Plated clothing?

Really, I think it's bullshit. Transportation and logistics for what? All the shit we DON'T MAKE HERE? Yeah, if you can't get jobs in your city just get them rolling through it, maybe one thing will lead to another?

We aren't 'blessed' with such good infrastructure - it was built here for a reason. There was a use for it. Our heritage of ports, railyards and industrial roads that served a real economy is exactly what's been thrown out by all recent economic development efforts.

The plan sounds ambitious but gravity always wins. Intermodal implies rail and port connected to a proper ring road network, but make no mistake. This plan will be reduced to unambitious, lowest common denominator development of 'logistics' (read: shitty jobs far away) near the airport.

It just reeks of mediocrity.

Jon Dalton
Dec 11, 2009, 5:12 AM
Seriously, ecdev. is this your best shot? I'm strung out from the early mornings of commuting because there's no damn jobs here so I'm asking. If this is really our plan, maybe it's not too late for me to bail.

Thing is it takes me a while to get established in a city and that only happened here a couple years ago, and I have 9 years invested. But I'm going on 30 and have to ask if there's no future here, is it too late to make one somewhere else?

I spent last weekend in Ottawa and they have a walkable, bikeable city with great old neighbourhoods, architecture and a large, diverse and economically successful downtown. And - wait for it - f*&$ing JOBS.

Sorry I'm just having a realcity moment here but you can only take so much stupid in before your system begins to react. Now I gotta try to get some sleep to catch the train out of this city to work. I wish there was another way. Maybe there is, just not here.

markbarbera
Dec 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
The type of jobs directly related to a hub strategy is not exclusive to warehousing and shipping. In fact, logistics plays a key role, for which a large contingent of IT support will be required. The secondary jobs that spin off from a hub include all levels of manufacturing, most notably among them electronic goods manufacturing.

It's also important to note how this strategy is meant to coincide with other strategies ecdev has or will be developing. In fact, a hub is meant to support and encourage additional strategies. It dovetails nicely into the innovation park strategy as well as creating an opportunity to repurpose brownfields.

Since when is the potential for 60,000 jobs created over a 20-year period a bad thing? Again, misinformation is taking over this debate and the factual information presented on this topic is completely overlooked. The editorial in today's Spec referenced what I consider to be Hamilton's worst enemy - "Hamilton's hyperactive grumbling class". So many opportunities are delayed and killed in this city because of ill-informed knee-jerk grumbling.

editorial note: when I refer to ecdev I am referring to Hamilton's Economic Development department, not the tagline of any forum participants. Apologies for any confusion.