PDA

View Full Version : Augusta vs Hess

bornagainbiking
Dec 6, 2009, 1:09 PM
I generally shy away from downtown at night. (parking) and have not gone to Hess in years (a little young and loud for my taste).
The other night I had the opportunity to experience Augusta again(used to leave close and wandered over that way on a semi regular basis).
Well it reminded me of downtown Burlington with plenty of parking, easy in and out and considering the group of venues you have a fine selection.
You can sit and have a chat with a pint and watch a game if you like. The pubs are close together and vary in presentation.
The new Undermount, Pheasant Plucker, the Ship, Winking judge, Cat and Fiddle, In and Out ?? and there is a new one at 17 opening in Jan.
I met Malcolm from the Pheasant plucker and he was very cordial and accomodating.
My only complaint and I may go the the Ship for $10 pitcher is that in this day and age $5.75 for a pint (if that is 20 0z) is a bit steep and greedy. I think in the long run the price is driving people to stay at home and have a house party. Or again many are priming the pump prior and showing up half in the bag.
A business has to survive. but a servive should be provided at a reasonable price. The price in this town varies from $3.85 to over $6 a pint. That is at a pub type atmosphere. Viva la competition:cheers: :cheers:
So Augusta is quite nice and worth a few trips back. let me know which are better and what nights, Winking Judge used to be cheap pints (local craft) Wed.

highwater
Dec 7, 2009, 2:56 PM
I generally shy away from downtown at night. (parking)...Well it reminded me of downtown Burlington with plenty of parking,

Or again many are priming the pump prior and showing up half in the bag.

I'm a bit confused by your need for plentiful parking around drinking establishments. If you're going out drinking, or are drunk before you even leave the house, shouldn't you be taking a cab or public transit?

markk
Dec 7, 2009, 4:20 PM
I think Hess and Augusta are both true jems...

Hess can be kind of wild at times, and often criticized for being 'too young.' But I think it is a great little entertainment district that easily wows people who visit our city ... It also makes for a great destination spot under the right circumstances (i.e. a summer afternoon drink, or a 'big night out' comes to mind).

Augusta (a place I tend to frequent much more) is perfect for anyone looking for a something a little more tame and tends to attract a little more seasoned pub-goers. This is great place to grab a pint or two in a more relaxed atmoshpere. Not to mention the welcomed addition of Gallaghers... one of my favs.

Jon Dalton
Dec 7, 2009, 5:35 PM
Augusta gets my money (too much of it).

There's tons of free parking nearby, but I'm not going to tell you where.

adam
Dec 7, 2009, 5:53 PM
If a pub in a shopping plaza with plenty of parking is what you're after, visit one of the many pubs on the mountain or Burlington. But if you want a pub with character that has a story of its own and offers something more then come downtown and spend the extra 5-10 minutes looking for a parking spot.

Jon Dalton
Dec 7, 2009, 6:55 PM
If a pub in a shopping plaza with plenty of parking is what you're after, visit one of the many pubs on the mountain or Burlington. But if you want a pub with character that has a story of its own and offers something more then come downtown and spend the extra 5-10 minutes looking for a parking spot.

But preferably not in my neighbourhood if you're going to use the pub in its traditional capacity.

Parking spots for bars? Really, I have to question whether the OP has truly been 'born again'.

highwater
Dec 7, 2009, 9:08 PM
But if you want a pub with character that has a story of its own and offers something more then come downtown and spend the extra 5-10 minutes looking for a parking spot.

Better still, cab it, unless you're planning on drinking Shirley Temples all night.

bornagainbiking
Dec 8, 2009, 2:50 AM
hi high
I guess my original attempt at provoking simulating exchange may have not been too clear.
I like to go downtown, i like to have a couple pints but do not want to risk life, limb or my livelyhood. As well as cost of court, lawyers and general disruption.
I will organize a DD if we plan on an evening. I will NOT ride the vomit comet (HSR) and prefer to remain semi-sober.
I made a statemant in relation to the high price of beer and how it really discourages people in general from partaking of public houses and if so they will offset their expenses by carrying a mickey or have a few before they go out. I see this with my kids (20s) who never go to Hess dry.
Augusta is much more publike.
I prefer the english Coronation Street like neighbourhood pubs but at times you have to compromise on a central location.
As for Adam yes there is Squires in a mall like atmosphere. Or EndZone.
but you have to drive there too. This all depends on where you live.
Drinking and driving is a terrible sin and can have some serious consequences.
Time is important and who wants to park 10 mins away.
Try the Rebels Rock for atmosphere sometime or Pays place on Dundurn.
Or the Westend on Emerson.

emge
Dec 8, 2009, 4:57 AM
Eh, at most I only go out for a drink or two... and I have zero interest in Hess or London Tap House or anywhere else i'm going to see women my age who forgot to wear pants ;)

I'd much rather go to a smaller pub and enjoy myself. Rebel's Rock is great and Augusta always wins over Hess for me.

Given that, though, I don't care much about price - because I buy fewer drinks I always make sure to tip very well on each drink anyway.

highwater
Dec 8, 2009, 2:27 PM
Eh, at most I only go out for a drink or two... and I have zero interest in Hess or London Tap House or anywhere else i'm going to see women my age who forgot to wear pants ;)

i hear ya. Although when women my age forget to wear pants, it's usually Alzheimer's.

emge
Dec 9, 2009, 4:02 AM
i hear ya. Although when women my age forget to wear pants, it's usually Alzheimer's.

:haha:

realcity
Dec 10, 2009, 5:29 PM
I'm not a pub fan. Here's my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free. Hess is getting more clubby... I'm happy about that. and Augusta is niching out a nice authentic pub area. Pubs to me are smelly and about 20 drunk guys to every girl. And I don't find them friendly, attitudes all around... but that might be just me... I'm the guy that always gets clocked in a bar... for no reason.