PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Cycling Paths & Infrastructure

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

DavidKuitunen
Dec 2, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hi folks, there is an opportunity to be a ward representative for Bike Calgary. I've made a submission to be ward 9 rep.

If anyone else is interested in being a ward representative you can find out more information here:
http://bikecalgary.org/node/3086

I would love to, but I live in Halifax now. Looks like Calgary is moving in the right direction though. Seems like a lot of good things are happening.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 7, 2011, 1:45 AM

hulkrogan
Dec 7, 2011, 7:56 PM
I feel like a cranky old man, but I finally put in a 311 request for the Centre street pathway underpass on the South side of the river. All the paths are nice and cleared up to this point, but the underpass itself is a slushy/icy/snowy slope that hasn't been cleared all winter. It's actually kind of fun riding up and trying to make it all the way while fish-tailing the whole time, but not totally safe when you're going down the slopes with pedestrians around.

Radley77
Dec 12, 2011, 8:29 PM
I feel like a cranky old man, but I finally put in a 311 request for the Centre street pathway underpass on the South side of the river. All the paths are nice and cleared up to this point, but the underpass itself is a slushy/icy/snowy slope that hasn't been cleared all winter. It's actually kind of fun riding up and trying to make it all the way while fish-tailing the whole time, but not totally safe when you're going down the slopes with pedestrians around.

I biked by in the afternoon, same day as you posted this and it had been cleared up already. One of the other cyclists on the pathway I chatted with had mentioned the Jimmy Jeep that normally cleans the pathways couldn't fit under the bridge.

Radley77
Dec 12, 2011, 9:08 PM
Does anyone know any more details about the bikeshare program that is being proposed besides what is in the City of Calgary 2011 cycling strategy documentation?

I came across this article in the Calgary Sun:
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/12/bike-share-plan-to-cost-millions#disqus_thread

Thoughts? Personally, I don't understand the value of a bikeshare program... I generally don't find that Calgarians have a hard time accessing a bike. Why can't hotels and bike rental\active clothing store companies provide this service instead?

hulkrogan
Dec 12, 2011, 9:21 PM
I got a call back from the city that same day and they explained that the equipment they used on either side (different contractors on each side) didn't fit under the bridge, and they actually use sidewalk cleaning equipment to get under there which must have been tied up (or they forgot, it seemed like a long time and oddly enough the same day they called back it was clean after work). Either way, I'm just thankful the majority of the paths have been in pretty good shape despite the snow.

fusili
Dec 12, 2011, 9:24 PM
Does anyone know any more details about the bikeshare program that is being proposed besides what is in the City of Calgary 2011 cycling strategy documentation?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/12/bike-share-plan-to-cost-millions#disqus_thread

Thoughts? Personally, I don't understand the value of a bikeshare program... I generally don't find that Calgarians have a hard time accessing a bike. Why can't hotels and bike rental\active clothing store companies provide this service instead?

Why have transit? Calgarians don't have too much trouble accessing cars?

The point of a bike share is that it fills an different demand for travel- medium distances between locations that do not originate at home. Bike shares allow someone to take transit to a location, take a bike share somewhere else quickly and take transit again, without having to return to their original destination.

When I was in Barcelona, their bike-share, Bicing, was hugely popular. People would ride the bikes from place to place when they either did not drive there, or if transit was inaccesible.

Radley77
Dec 12, 2011, 9:27 PM
Found some additional information:

LPT2011-113, Public Bike Share Feasibility Study - Cover Report (http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/cache/0/42p2gm55omzbyl45l44x0ffk/7454112122011022338858.PDF)
LPT2011-113, Public Bike Share Feasibility Study - Attach 1 - Executive Summary – Calgary Bike Share Feasibility Study (http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/cache/0/42p2gm55omzbyl45l44x0ffk/745421212201102242891.PDF)
LPT2011-113, Public Bike Share Feasibility Study - Attach 2 - Calgary Bike Share Feasibility Study (http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/cache/0/42p2gm55omzbyl45l44x0ffk/7454312122011022448871.PDF)
LPT2011-113, Public Bike Share Feasibility Study - Attach 3 - Parks Foundation Calgary, Letter of Support (http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/cache/0/42p2gm55omzbyl45l44x0ffk/7454412122011022508121.PDF)
LPT2011-113, Public Bike Share Feasibility Study - Attach 4 - Tourism Calgary, Letter of Support (http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/cache/0/42p2gm55omzbyl45l44x0ffk/7454512122011022533143.PDF)
LPT2011-113, Public Bike Share Feasibility Study - Attach 5 - Calgary Pathways and Bikeways Advisory Council, Letter of Support (http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/cache/0/42p2gm55omzbyl45l44x0ffk/7454612122011022548665.PDF)

Calgarian
Dec 12, 2011, 9:41 PM

That article reminded me why I hate Sun media. Calling a bike share program social engineering is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. It's too bad too many people buy into their hyper conservative agenda and take that crap to heart. The Sun should change their name to Faux News North.

As for the bike share program, nothing wrong with trying it out, many other cities have had a lot of success with it. If we want to alleviate the traffic congestion downtown and in other parts of the Centre City, getting them out of their cars (which usually only have one person in them anyway) is the best way to go about it.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 12, 2011, 9:54 PM

Bike sharing is really convenient. I was in Montreal for three months last summer and I had left my bike in Alberta. If I need to get half way across the city I could easily get around without needing my own bike, or lock, or worrying about storing a bike if I didn't use it for days/weeks at a time, and I wasn't staying in Montreal long enough to justify bringing my bike all the way there. I showed a few of my friends how to use the system, at first they were really reluctant to try it out and after they all fell in love with it and wouldn't shut up about how awesome it was.

It's great for tourist or transient people like myself. It's way cheaper than a taxi and in a lot of cases cheaper and faster than public transportation. The one problem with calgary is that the majority of people don't feel safe riding on the streets so I wouldn't expect to see it being used much, but maybe the city could start putting a few stations along the river like east village, eau claire, bowness park, pearse estate park, etc. It might catch on and then they could extend the system after they've established some inner-city bike lanes. The university would be a good place to put a few stations around so students could get to class a little faster.

Calgarian
Dec 12, 2011, 10:13 PM
So who paid for the Bixi system in other Canadian cities?

DavidKuitunen
Dec 12, 2011, 10:44 PM

It was developed and is owned by the Public Bike System Company (PBSC) which was set up by the parking authority of Montréal.

*according to wikipedia

Bixi operates in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City, and the Research in Motion campus in Waterloo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bixi

New york is launching its own version of bixi. Alta bike share is getting the contract for New york's bike share system, Alta also owns capital bike share that operates in Washington DC.

MalcolmTucker
Dec 12, 2011, 10:51 PM
Usually a private company, but backstopped by a loan gaurantee. They also get the locations for free from the city as well.

Radley77
Dec 13, 2011, 12:49 AM
Why have transit? Calgarians don't have too much trouble accessing cars?

The point of a bike share is that it fills an different demand for travel- medium distances between locations that do not originate at home. Bike shares allow someone to take transit to a location, take a bike share somewhere else quickly and take transit again, without having to return to their original destination.

When I was in Barcelona, their bike-share, Bicing, was hugely popular. People would ride the bikes from place to place when they either did not drive there, or if transit was inaccesible.

I guess I was referring to a very broad definition of access. Access to transit can mean everything from high cost associated with parking, traffic bottlenecks, to physical disabilities, age, etc. I can't really see bike sharing helping out with any of these issues.

Whereas with bike share a lot of these same issues don't apply. From the feasibility study it stated that, "Bike sharing provides a mobility option for trips too far to walk, but not long enough to justify waiting for transit or too costly to make by taxi or private vehicle."

It makes sense that one of the things that could be done is colocating LRT stations with bikeshare stations in Centre City. The other potential spot is where there is heavy taxi usage or anywhere people are travelling multimodal (LRT\bus->bike, bike->LRT\bus, car\taxi->bike, bike->car\taxi). Not sure how much issues there would be with people getting drunk and cycling...

Moreover, would be nice if getting secure bike facilities at an LRT station was less complex and more payment options available ( http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/bike_lockers.html ). Also, would love to see more onstreet bike parking facilities at businesses downtown if there is space available.

Ramsayfarian
Dec 13, 2011, 5:34 AM
As for the bike share program, nothing wrong with trying it out, many other cities have had a lot of success with it. If we want to alleviate the traffic congestion downtown and in other parts of the Centre City, getting them out of their cars (which usually only have one person in them anyway) is the best way to go about it.

I really don't see this alleviating traffic congestion downtown or any other part of the city. I'm all for a third party to take the plunge and try it out as a privately owned business. Hell, I'd even let the city give them space at train stations and other locations around Calgary. Even waive the fee for the business license.

I don't think the city should be shelling out 2.5m plus operating costs to do it themselves. At least not right now. I'd rather see that money spent on something else, like skateparks.

Calgarian
Dec 13, 2011, 2:45 PM
Seeing as how most traffic downtown comes from the suburbs, I also doubt it will alleviate traffic as I doubt anyone is going to bike in from Somerset or Tuscany, that would take forever. If they can get people using the system and have a few more people from the inner city take a bike instead of a car, then it's a win in my books.

Calgary needs to focus on transit first and foremost, that and car pool lanes. That might help traffic get a bit better, or at least keep it from getting worse.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 13, 2011, 2:50 PM
I really don't see this alleviating traffic congestion downtown or any other part of the city. I'm all for a third party to take the plunge and try it out as a privately owned business. Hell, I'd even let the city give them space at train stations and other locations around Calgary. Even waive the fee for the business license.

I don't think the city should be shelling out 2.5m plus operating costs to do it themselves. At least not right now. I'd rather see that money spent on something else, like skateparks.

I agree with you, that the city shouldn't be paying 2.5m for operating costs of a system like this. But they could at least try a pilot program to see how feasible it is. As for alleviating traffic congestion, just think about what 50 people on bicycles looks like in a group. Then imagine everyone of those people got into 41 vehicles (the average # of people/vehicle being 1.2 in Calgary)

http://images.smh.com.au/2010/01/12/1030615/car-vs-bike-420x0.jpg

*not to mention the agility of a bike compared to a car. Traffic engineers can get a lot more creative with bike infrastructure, just look at some of the infrastructure in Denmark, and the Netherlands

DavidKuitunen
Dec 13, 2011, 3:04 PM
Seeing as how most traffic downtown comes from the suburbs, I also doubt it will alleviate traffic as I doubt anyone is going to bike in from Somerset or Tuscany, that would take forever. If they can get people using the system and have a few more people from the inner city take a bike instead of a car, then it's a win in my books.

Calgary needs to focus on transit first and foremost, that and car pool lanes. That might help traffic get a bit better, or at least keep it from getting worse.

The system wouldn't extend out to the suburbs, It would probably only be Downtown, Beltline, Sunnyside, Sunalta, Victoria Park, Bridgeland, etc. Any part of the city where biking is a faster option than driving during rush hour.

fusili
Dec 13, 2011, 4:23 PM

The system wouldn't extend out to the suburbs, It would probably only be Downtown, Beltline, Sunnyside, Sunalta, Victoria Park, Bridgeland, etc. Any part of the city where biking is a faster option than driving during rush hour.

I think people are missing the point of a bike-share system. It is not a commuter bicycle program. Much the same was as a car share system is not a commuter system. Bike shares serve medium distance trips for people in dense urban areas where transit is either unavailable, or simply because transit takes longer (there are no wait station wait times for a bike share), and almost always for trips that do not originate at home (going from work to a store for example).

If someone is to bike to work, it is more convenient, and probably cheaper, to just buy a bike.

These "alternative" (I hate that word) transportation options basically are ways to complement each other, and each serve to fill a travel demand niche. For a car-free lifestyle you need all of them. Transit to go longer distances to areas close to transit stations (usually the commute), bike shares to go medium distances (usually to and from transit stations- for example going to an appointment or to a store) for trips not originating at home, car shares for longer, non-transit accessible trips, outside the city trips, and trips you need to carry a lot (grocery shopping, hardware store, skiing :D). Once you start to build all these options up, not having a car, or having one less car becomes a lot easier.

Calgarian
Dec 13, 2011, 4:27 PM
I get the point of this and support it, at least on a trial basis for now. This is just another option for getting around the center city that doesn't involve cars.

Radley77
Dec 13, 2011, 5:30 PM
I am somewhat concerned about too rapid of a rollout and stations that are underutililized. The proposal was for 40 stations to be rolled out, and I had read Gary Beaton, a major Calgary cycling advocate, about why he is against the idea of a bikeshare program, and in favour of of improved onstreet bike routes. Would say accelerating the 13 Ave SW greenway make more sense instead? i.e.: get these key routes in place first before starting up a bike share?

Another factor, that was poorly discussed in the report was theft. I've had two bikes stolen in downtown Calgary and bike theft is fairly common. At most it said 2 bikes were stolen from the system, and in the reports it had assumed 3% fleet replacement. This is equivalent to expectation that average run life of a bike is 33 years... don't thinks so.

fusili
Dec 13, 2011, 5:42 PM
I am somewhat concerned about too rapid of a rollout and stations that are underutililized. The proposal was for 40 stations to be rolled out, and I had read Gary Beaton, a major Calgary cycling advocate, about why he is against the idea of a bikeshare program, and in favour of of improved onstreet bike routes. Would say accelerating the 13 Ave SW greenway make more sense instead? i.e.: get these key routes in place first before starting up a bike share?

I would agree with Gary. Improve onstreet bike lanes first, then go with the bikeshare. 40 stations is a bit much to start. Probably something around 15 could be better.

You Need A Thneed
Dec 13, 2011, 6:43 PM
Where would Bike Share stations be required?

2 or 3 downtown
2 in Beltline
Bridgeland Station
SAIT Station
University Station
Chinook Station
Anderson Station
Whitehorn (or Rundle Station)
Around Centre Street and 16th Ave N
Westbrook Station
17th Ave/ 52nd Street SE
Quarry Park
Foothills Industrial Somewhere?
Future Douglasdale Station area?
MRU
Somewhere around Stanley Park
Bowness Park
Elliston Park
Northpointe Terminal

Am I on the right track?

fusili
Dec 13, 2011, 7:50 PM

2 or 3 downtown
2 in Beltline
Bridgeland Station
SAIT Station
University Station
Chinook Station
Anderson Station
Westbrook Station
17th Ave/ 52nd Street SE
Quarry Park
MRU
Bowness Park
Elliston Park
Northpointe Terminal

Am I on the right track?

Pretty much. I would have around 6 downtown though (2nd street/7th ave, Eau Claire, East Village, Mewata, Olympic Plaza, Century Gardens) and 4 in the Beltline (Central Memorial Park, Tompkins Park, Connaught School, Stampede) as well as in Mission. You also missed Sunnyside.

Ramsayfarian
Dec 13, 2011, 7:51 PM
Everyone's favourite fishwrap had a couple of articles on the bike share. Even Nenshi is having trouble getting behind it.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/12/calgary-bike-share-scheme-sparks-debate-at-city-hall

According to Platt The City hired Alta Planning and Design to create a report if Bike Share was feasible. Alta Planning is the sister company of Alta Bicycle Share.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/12/city-shelled-out-thousands-for-bike-share-plan-from-vendor

Radley77
Dec 13, 2011, 8:05 PM
Everyone's favourite fishwrap had a couple of articles on the bike share. Even Nenshi is having trouble getting behind it.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/12/calgary-bike-share-scheme-sparks-debate-at-city-hall

According to Platt The City hired Alta Planning and Design to create a report if Bike Share was feasible. Alta Planning is the sister company of Alta Bicycle Share.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/12/city-shelled-out-thousands-for-bike-share-plan-from-vendor

SSP Calgary should start up it's own consulting firm. Lots of pretty photos, geeks, focus groups (errr threads), and I almost have my engineering stamp so we are good to go.

fusili
Dec 13, 2011, 8:09 PM

The one thing I really have trouble with is the City's practice of commissioning studies to parties that are anything but objective. I am a supporter of bike share programs, but having a company that has a vested interest in having it approved is just bad practice. What the City should do is establish areas where bike shares can use City property for their stations at no cost, and then let a provider see if they can make it work.

A similar thing happened when a private waste company proposed to the City to take all the city's municipal waste and convert it to energy using some thermal technology. Their only condition was that the City had to make all municipal waste available. The city would not pay anything. The city's response: get Waste and Recycling services (City department) to provide an assessment of the feasibility. Guess what the recommendation was? ..... (sigh)

Calgarian
Dec 13, 2011, 9:45 PM
The one thing I really have trouble with is the City's practice of commissioning studies to parties that are anything but objective. I am a supporter of bike share programs, but having a company that has a vested interest in having it approved is just bad practice. (sigh)

Definitely agree, this is not a smart way to do business.

I also agree that before they roll out a program like this, they should make sure the infrastructure is there to support it, and that the demand will warrant st scale of the roll out.

I support a trial run, but the scale of this seems completely out of touch with the demand.

Radley77
Dec 13, 2011, 10:58 PM

The debate has also opened up for comments on the website bikecalgary.org:
http://bikecalgary.org/node/3100

... and it has references to the McGill study that Platt quoted.

fusili
Dec 13, 2011, 11:02 PM
The debate has also opened up for comments on the website bikecalgary.org:
http://bikecalgary.org/node/3100

... and it actually references to the McGill study that Platt quoted.

Good response by BikeCalgary. They should write a letter to the editor.

ByeByeBaby
Dec 14, 2011, 1:23 AM
Another factor, that was poorly discussed in the report was theft. I've had two bikes stolen in downtown Calgary and bike theft is fairly common. At most it said 2 bikes were stolen from the system, and in the reports it had assumed 3% fleet replacement.

Theft is generally a non-issue in modern bike share programs (the report mentioned Denver had under $5000 in theft and vandalism, for a similar sized multi-million dollar system). The bikes are either being ridden by someone, in which case they have put their credit card into the system, or they are locked to a bike station in an integral fashion; with the frame attached, not just a cheap chain through the spokes. Furthermore, the bikes are generally harder to sell whole or as parts because they are designed specifically as "bike share" bikes (with different parts, etc.)

ByeByeBaby
Dec 14, 2011, 1:31 AM
2 or 3 downtown
2 in Beltline
Bridgeland Station
SAIT Station
University Station
Chinook Station
Anderson Station
<snip>

Am I on the right track?

I don't think so. The report (pg. 36 in the main report) suggests putting pretty well all 40 of them in the Centre City; 22 in the downtown, 14 in the beltline, 3 in the "Kensington" area, and one in Sunnyside at the bridge to Prince's Island.

I don't necessarily agree with all of their locations (they put them every couple of blocks in the Beltline along 12th and 15th avenues; I'd think 13th with the coming greenway and 17th where the activity actually is). But I agree with the general idea is to build up a critical mass of density of stations in an area; the point is to be able to make mid-distance trips with the shared bikes. The use is less like the use we have for bikes right now, a mid-distance commute, and more "what if I could pull a bike out of my pocket?" where the use is spontaneous.

What would having bikes at just SAIT and University stations (for example, in the NW) do? People wouldn't ride between the two -- there's a train. There literally wouldn't be anywhere else to go with them. The vision is more to have stops every couple of blocks, so you can easily get a bike near where you are, and drop it off near where you want to go. (This also helps if the stations are full -- if the University station is full, you have no choice but to ride back to SAIT; and make sure you do it in 30 minutes.)

Radley77
Dec 14, 2011, 4:47 PM
The Pedal Blog (by Tom Babin) in the Calgary Herald had a solid write-up about the bikeshare feasibility study:

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2011/12/14/questions-about-bike-share-proposal-in-calgary/

I haven't seen any letters to the editor in the Calgary Sun yet. Maybe there is something in FastForward or Metro?

Calgarian
Dec 14, 2011, 5:13 PM
As usual the Herald shows it understands the issue while the Sun sensationalizes it and calls it Social Engineering.

Has the city come up with a comprehensive plan for where they want to add bike lanes and improve infrastructure for cyclists?

Radley77
Dec 14, 2011, 6:16 PM
As usual the Herald shows it understands the issue while the Sun sensationalizes it and calls it Social Engineering.

Has the city come up with a comprehensive plan for where they want to add bike lanes and improve infrastructure for cyclists?

I met with City of Calgary staff a couple weeks ago. There is a cycling strategy for the Centre City and it is mostly funded though over a four year term instead of original three years, beyond that they mentioned that they are waiting until 2013 before doing a comprehensive citywide engagement on routes outside Centre City. Meanwhile, there is the CTP maps as well that has routes labelled for cycling routes, but no real plan about how to get there. As per the most recent approved budget, for the upcoming 3 years, the pedestrian\cycling share of the overall transportation budget is 3.2%.

Links:
Calgary Cycling Strategy - map on page 69 (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/cycling/Cycling-Strategy/2011-cycling-strategy.pdf)
Calgary Transportation Plan - Appendix Map 1 (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/CTP2009/calgary_transportation_plan_2009.pdf)

IMO, citizens who are interested in cycling perhaps should get more involved in organizations like BikeCalgary to support education. As well, it's important for cyclists to provide feedback to the City of Calgary so can make sure that taxdollars are being spent as cost-effectively as possibility. (i.e.: biggest mobility improvements for least dollars).

Calgarian
Dec 14, 2011, 7:32 PM
Thanks Radley! very informative.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 14, 2011, 7:32 PM

Another factor, that was poorly discussed in the report was theft. I've had two bikes stolen in downtown Calgary and bike theft is fairly common. At most it said 2 bikes were stolen from the system, and in the reports it had assumed 3% fleet replacement. This is equivalent to expectation that average run life of a bike is 33 years... don't thinks so.

They can make theft proof safeway shopping carts, I don't see whats so hard about making a theft proof bixi bike.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 14, 2011, 8:01 PM
I don't think so. The report (pg. 36 in the main report) suggests putting pretty well all 40 of them in the Centre City; 22 in the downtown, 14 in the beltline, 3 in the "Kensington" area, and one in Sunnyside at the bridge to Prince's Island.

I don't necessarily agree with all of their locations (they put them every couple of blocks in the Beltline along 12th and 15th avenues; I'd think 13th with the coming greenway and 17th where the activity actually is). But I agree with the general idea is to build up a critical mass of density of stations in an area; the point is to be able to make mid-distance trips with the shared bikes. The use is less like the use we have for bikes right now, a mid-distance commute, and more "what if I could pull a bike out of my pocket?" where the use is spontaneous.

What would having bikes at just SAIT and University stations (for example, in the NW) do? People wouldn't ride between the two -- there's a train. There literally wouldn't be anywhere else to go with them. The vision is more to have stops every couple of blocks, so you can easily get a bike near where you are, and drop it off near where you want to go. (This also helps if the stations are full -- if the University station is full, you have no choice but to ride back to SAIT; and make sure you do it in 30 minutes.)

It only takes 10 to 15 minutes to get from the university to point mckay which would be another good place to put a station. Stations downtown would obviously have a larger capacity than ones in remote areas. If they had 6 or 7 stations from Point McKay to East village along the river that would probably be enough. East Village and Eau claire could have a capacity of 16-20 bikes and further ones would hold about 8-12 .

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14224301035/1/tumblr_lw7l9v3XYf1r8rvwg

DavidKuitunen
Dec 14, 2011, 8:40 PM
I don't think Calgary is ready for a bike share system yet, but I don't think the city should abandon the idea, maybe 5 to 10 years down the road if Calgary builds a decent bike lane grid throughout downtown it will be feasible. It definitely will cost tax payers, but it's worth every penny to reduce traffic congestion, and if you disagree with the notion that bicycles reduce traffic congestion at least it provides tourist, kids, or people who prefer biking in general a convenient cheap alternative to a taxi or the public transit.

If I had to choose 40 locations for Bixi stations they would be here:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw7sseQAkF1r8rvwgo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1323987845&Signature=20Q5lFkHvSv%2FrlL8q8tFgYVJaxk%3D
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14231652673/2/tumblr_lw7sseQAkF1r8rvwg
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14231652673/3/tumblr_lw7sseQAkF1r8rvwg

Ramsayfarian
Dec 14, 2011, 9:08 PM

The Herald tends to be more informative and The Sun is only concerned about selling papers.

I also found the Herald article to be well thought out, and while they did mention the relationship between Alta Design and Alta BikeShare, I did feel like they kind of glossed over the fact that there's a huge conflict of interest there.

If Calgary does implement a Bike Share program, they might want to think about shutting it down during Stampede.

Full Mountain
Dec 14, 2011, 9:10 PM
Bike Share Locations For a Start:

17th Ave, 13th Ave, 8th Ave (between Macleod and 4th St SW), River Path - 3ish stations each, maybe 4 on the river and 17th, 2 on 8th

I think 17th Ave and 8th Ave would be large generators for this type of trip, to decrease the need for moving a parked car

DavidKuitunen
Dec 14, 2011, 10:00 PM

2 or 3 downtown
2 in Beltline
Bridgeland Station
SAIT Station
University Station
Chinook Station
Anderson Station
Westbrook Station
17th Ave/ 52nd Street SE
Quarry Park
MRU
Bowness Park
Elliston Park
Northpointe Terminal

Am I on the right track?

These stations would be way too far away from each other, and the cycling infrastructure between them is very limited. Look at Montreal's Bixi website (https://bixi.com/) to get a better idea.

Radley77
Dec 14, 2011, 10:55 PM
There is a Google Map of the proposed bike share locations:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204893243486786550181.0004b413d83dace98fd1c&msa=0&ll=51.045171,-114.065466&spn=0.04657,0.077162

To me it looks like they just carpet bombed everything instead of looking at where bimodal trip generators would be occurring. Note: recommend to turn on terrain and bike layers.

UofC.engineer
Dec 14, 2011, 11:04 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204893243486786550181.0004b413d83dace98fd1c&msa=0&ll=51.045171,-114.065466&spn=0.04657,0.077162

To me it looks like they just carpet bombed everything instead of looking at where bimodal trip generators would be occurring. Note: recommend to turn on terrain and bike layers.

This is ridiculous, there are no stations along the 13th ave green way and only one on the 2nd Street SW bike boulevard. I know bike sharing isn't made for commuter cyclist but they could have at least placed the stations where some cycling infrastruture exists as opposed to 5th ave and 6th street.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 14, 2011, 11:22 PM

These are good spots, but I don't think the utilized the bow river pathway. The elbow river along mission is also under utilized. They have it a little too focused in the core and it should at least branch out along the bow river. Point McKay to East village is a really leisurely ride, and the points I marked down are no further than 3km away from each other. This system would be great for communities just outside of the core to hop on and have a nice 15-20 minute bike ride on there own schedule instead of waiting for a bus for 15 minutes and then have a 20 minute gridlock ride to the core. It wouldn't make sense to have is just in the immediate core, I think fewer people would use it if it didn't extend to the immediate outskirts of DT. Think Bridgeland, Sunalta, Mission, West Hillhurst, Parkdale, Scarboro, Ramsay. Those are the communities that it would be the most practical Bixi users. If you live in one of the area's you probably agree that car trips towards downtown are pointless in rush hour. May as well be walking, or better biking.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 15, 2011, 12:13 AM

Why are these reporters so passive aggressive. It's terrible reporting, they're so opinionated. I agree with Brian Pincott that Calgary isn't ready for it, but holy crap these reporters need to relax a bit. Yes, bike share programs usually aren't profitable systems, not all systems are profitable. That doesn't mean they "defy the laws of nature." Thats the point of paying taxes. For services that improve quality of life. I never hear people bitching about the ring road. Can anyone enlighten me on how much that cost is costing?

Here's a video of "posh modern European city" of Utrecht defying the laws of nature and economics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2rETLfzQrIw#!

Radley77
Dec 15, 2011, 12:29 AM
These are good spots, but I don't think the utilized the bow river pathway. The elbow river along mission is also under utilized. They have it a little too focused in the core and it should at least branch out along the bow river. Point McKay to East village is a really leisurely ride, and the points I marked down are no further than 3km away from each other. This system would be great for communities just outside of the core to hop on and have a nice 15-20 minute bike ride on there own schedule instead of wait for a bus for 15 minutes and then have a 20 minute gridlock ride to the core. It wouldn't make sense to have is just in the immediate core, I think fewer people would use it if it didn't extend to the immediate outskirts of DT. Think Bridgeland, Sunalta, Mission, West Hillhurst, Parkdale, Scarboro, Ramsay. Those are the communities that it would be the most practical Bixi users. If you live in one of the area's you probably agree that car trips towards downtown are pointless in rush hour. May as well be walking, or better biking.

I agree that I think the scope was a bit too limited on City Centre. One of the things it would be kind of cool to run an algorithm on is the differential between public transit, walking and cycling times. For instance a trip between Eau Claire area and Mission would take 23 minutes walking time, 20 minutes on public transit or only 10 minutes cycling time. Generally, because of the high frequency of LRT downtown and west/east routes I think some of the most compelling placements for bike share would be a north/south linkage between the CBD and the Beltline/Mission/Lower Mount Royal. Also agreed about your comments about walking/biking in the directly offsetting communities. In Bridgeland for example, the bus or LRT is sometimes full to capacity so public transit service is already maxed out. And the roads are jammed with cars too so yes, biking can be quicker.

One of the other things I notice is that on Langevin Bridge for example, there is about 65% pedestrians compared to 35% cyclists. It'd be interesting to perform a survey on these pedestrians that are walking to find out more about why... is it because they are more concerned about safety, and if so, then placing bike shares along the river pathway as you had proposed may make a lot more sense as they seek to avoid cycling onstreet.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 15, 2011, 1:01 AM
I agree that I think the scope was a bit too limited on City Centre. One of the things it would be kind of cool to run an algorithm on is the differential between public transit, walking and cycling times. For instance a trip between Eau Claire area and Mission would take 23 minutes walking time, 20 minutes on public transit or only 10 minutes cycling time. Generally, because of the high frequency of LRT downtown and west/east routes I think some of the most compelling placements for bike share would be a north/south linkage between the CBD and the Beltline/Mission/Lower Mount Royal. Also agreed about your comments about walking/biking in the directly offsetting communities. In Bridgeland for example, the bus or LRT is sometimes full to capacity so public transit service is already maxed out. And the roads are jammed with cars too so yes, biking can be quicker.

One of the other things I notice is that on Langevin Bridge for example, there is about 65% pedestrians compared to 35% cyclists. It'd be interesting to perform a survey on these pedestrians that are walking to find out more about why... is it because they are more concerned about safety, and if so, then placing bike shares along the river pathway as you had proposed may make a lot more sense as they seek to avoid cycling onstreet.

One big problem that these systems run into is say there's a Hockey game and the station closest to the Stadium fills up and there's 40 bikes on route to that station. There's going to be a lot of pissed off people having to backtrack. I encountered this problem once last summer in Montreal trying to go to La Ronde(turns out lots of people go there on saturday). One solution is using a smartphone app. There's a bixi app that gives you a map and tells you where the completely full and completely empty stations are. It would be good if they made an incentive program for taking a bike from a completely full station or returning a bike to a completely empty station. These credits could give you extra bike trips in the future, and evenly distribute the bikes.

Riding through downtown during rush hour is probably the safest time to ride because seldom do the cars get to speeds exceeding 25km/h in the core at rush hour. If the city is going ahead with this project right away they would be best off putting most of there stations right next to the bow and elbow river. At least people will be a little more willing to try it out when its not at a busy downtown intersection.

fusili
Dec 15, 2011, 1:02 AM
Here's a video of "posh modern European city" of Utrecht defying the laws of nature and economics:

All of the Netherlands is amazing for bicycle infrastructure, and not just Utrecht. Amsterdam, Leiden, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Eindhoven. What they have done in the last 30 years is truly amazing. They went from a very car-dominated culture, to a very bicycle dominated culture. In many cases, bicycles share of trips is only a few percentage points lower than public transit. Most Dutch cities are about 20% cycling. When I was traveling there with family, even small towns (Middleburg, Goes, Zierikzee) had fantastic bicycle infrastructure and people really did use bikes for most of their daily errands.

Copenhagen is a whole other matter.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 15, 2011, 1:16 AM
All of the Netherlands is amazing for bicycle infrastructure, and not just Utrecht. Amsterdam, Leiden, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Eindhoven. What they have done in the last 30 years is truly amazing. They went from a very car-dominated culture, to a very bicycle dominated culture. In many cases, bicycles share of trips is only a few percentage points lower than public transit. Most Dutch cities are about 20% cycling. When I was traveling there with family, even small towns (Middleburg, Goes, Zierikzee) had fantastic bicycle infrastructure and people really did use bikes for most of their daily errands.

Copenhagen is a whole other matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q5jdZjmoR0&feature=related

Radley77
Dec 15, 2011, 1:20 AM
Why are these reporters so passive aggressive. It's terrible reporting, they're so opinionated. It is a bit outrageous about the quotes about that somehow cyclists should go to Stampede or something. I'm proud of Calgary and the heritage of cycling in Alberta.

The Ride To Conquer Cancer is a major event:

8LRobiEzoSg

as well there was a BMX movie called RAD made in the 80's about BMX biking that was filmed in Calgary and Cochrane that is worth watching:

JMeD9nrpfeY

IMO, Calgary has the ability to build a great biking system as being unique to Calgarian history, geography, climate etc...

ByeByeBaby
Dec 15, 2011, 2:29 AM

I agree; it looks like they aimed for broad coverage, rather than specific locations. Which may be okay as a first proposal, but the locations could be improved. Thinking about this a little more, I'm only half-sold on the bike corridor locations. Taking 2nd St SW as an example; do you want the bikes right along 2nd St, the best north-south bike corridor, or along 1st and/or 4th Sts, where the actual activity is located? I think something more like the latter may be better; it gives more visibility to the system, and it's ultimately more convenient for end users. The stations should have maps of the area prominently indicating "there's a bike lane a block that way". Of course, the best thing would be to have the bike facilities actually connecting the activity locations, rather than shoehorned in where they won't cause anybody a fuss.

In Arlington, they did a crowdsourcing approach (http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/bikesharing/capital-bikeshare-crowdsourcing-map/), although my guess is that would work better to expand an existing system, where there was a userbase who knew what they use it for -- even in this fairly knowledgeable forum, there are clearly a few different approaches and priorities.

MalcolmTucker
Dec 15, 2011, 3:56 AM
Bike share stations are pretty easy to move - all you need is enough sunlight to power the station and relatively flat solid ground. There is no reason to believe that the system wouldn't evolve quite quickly as data is aggragated on the types of trips people are actually using it for.

DavidKuitunen
Dec 15, 2011, 2:43 PM
Bike share stations are pretty easy to move - all you need is enough sunlight to power the station and relatively flat solid ground. There is no reason to believe that the system wouldn't evolve quite quickly as data is aggragated on the types of trips people are actually using it for.

True, they are completely wireless systems. It wouldn't be hard to move the stations around to adjust to the demand.

Riise
Dec 15, 2011, 9:19 PM
Drawing on personal need, I'd like to see docking stations at Stampede, Bridgeland/Memorial, and Sunnyside stations and along 7th and 17th Ave. This would really help extend the range of rapid transit for me into the Beltline. In addition, it would help shrink 17th.

Seeing as how I have a short lunch, having docking stations sprinkled around the Core and Beltline will increase my options.

kw5150
Jan 6, 2012, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q5jdZjmoR0&feature=related

So cool........Calgary does pretty well for it's size and age, No?

DavidKuitunen
Jan 12, 2012, 9:41 PM
Lease terminated for Eau Claire community bicycle shop (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Lease+terminated+Claire+community+bicycle+shop/5982135/story.html)

Radley77
Jan 12, 2012, 10:11 PM
Lease terminated for Eau Claire community bicycle shop (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Lease+terminated+Claire+community+bicycle+shop/5982135/story.html)

But he fears the group won’t be able to find a location as ideal as Eau Claire, on the north fringe of the downtown.

I always thought that a better location for that style of community bike shop would be on Edmonton\Memorial Drive. Something like Bud's Office Furniture, the old fish shop in East Village by Booker's that's for lease or the now vacated Kensington One carpet store at Edmonton Trail & Marsh Road NE.

Running Room and Power In Motion are two other retail outlets that are still around there. Plus, the YMCA across the street and Gold's Gym so Eau Claire market is a bit of a fitness hub IMO...

DavidKuitunen
Jan 13, 2012, 8:31 PM
Audio Clip from CBC Calgary Eyeopener (http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/audioplayer.html?clipid=2186587899)

Radley77
Jan 30, 2012, 5:45 PM
Bike Calgary Supports Bike Share System

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Bike Calgary and the Bike Calgary Advocacy Committee are favourably disposed to the implementation of a public bike share (PBS) system in Calgary, provided that safe, functional and efficient Centre City bicycle infrastructure precedes the mobilization phase of the PBS system. "We support the recommendation to direct Administration to return by June 2012 with a business model and funding strategy for a PBS system with the understanding that staff or financial resources allocated to infrastructure, ongoing maintenance, and bicycle programs will not be diverted", says Bike Calgary president Brent Clark.

The cycling advocates believe that through approval and funding of the Cycling Strategy, Council demonstrated its commitment to providing Calgarians with better access to sustainable transportation options so that the 59% of Calgarians who want to cycle more often have the opportunity to do so. According to Bike Calgary, approval by the Standing Policy Committee (SPC) on Transportation and Transit to investigate the operation and funding of a PBS program is a step further in this direction and reinforces Council's commitment to increase bicycle mode-share. The organization also states that a PBS system in Calgary would be a great complement to Calgary's expanding public transportation network and a convenient way for Calgary's "interested but concerned" population (identified in the Cycling Strategy) to take up cycling.

However, Clark stresses that well planned and constructed bicycle infrastructure, accompanied by a comprehensive education and promotion campaign, is the foundation for a safe and successful PBS program. Clark says: "If limitations to financial or staff resources prevent such infrastructure and promotions from being in place prior to PBS mobilization, Bike Calgary recommends Council delay the PBS program until the conditions are right to ensure success."

Media contact
Brent Clark, President Bike Calgary
connect@bikecalgary.org

Bike Calgary is Calgary's largest transportation cycling association with over 2000 members on its bikecalgary.org website. The Bike Calgary Advocacy Committee was formed as part of the Civic Camp engagement process, which successfully petitioned The City of Calgary Council to approve, and subsequently fund, the Calgary Cycling Strategy. It includes representatives from most of Calgary's cycling and active transportation organizations, including the Elbow Valley Cycle Club, the Bike Root Campus Bicycle Society of Calgary, the Good Life Community Bike Shop, Two Wheel View, and the Sustainable Alberta Association/Commuter Challenge.

http://bikecalgary.org/node/3153

Radley77
Jan 30, 2012, 6:11 PM
How they voted: to pursue Calgary bike sharing
by Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald

Subject: To request city staff report in October on both the progress of the cycling strategy’s implementation, and on a business model and funding strategy for a public bike sharing program. Jan 25, Transportation and Transit Committee

For: Diane Colley-Urquhart (chair), Druh Farrell, Ray Jones, Shane Keating, John Mar, Brian Pincott

Against: Gian-Carlo Carra, Peter Demong, Dale Hodges, Gord Lowe

Passes, 6-4. Moves to a February council meeting for final vote.

Carra’s opposition came despite his avowed love of bike sharing programs in other cities, and the idea in general. He feels that city hall is moving way too early by planning the bike share at the same time as it devises its network of on-street bike lanes in the core.

On a second vote, they considered whether to stipulate that not a cent of civic funding go into the operations or startup equipment purchases for a bike share.

For: Diane Colley-Urquhart (chair), Gian-Carlo Carra, Peter Demong, Dale Hodges, Shane Keating

Against: Druh Farrell, Ray Jones, Gord Lowe, John Mar, Brian Pincott

Loses on a 5-5 tie. Moves to a February council meeting.

Reference: http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/01/25/how-they-voted-to-pursue-calgary-bike-sharing/

Personally, I think the bikeshare is too preliminary and agree should work on implementation of Centre City cycling infrastructure first.

UofC.engineer
Jan 30, 2012, 6:11 PM
For PBS to be successful separated bike lanes such as cycle tracks must be implemented in downtown to ensure the safety of cyclists. This is especially true if the city wants to increase the number of cyclists and if the PBS does not provide helmets(which it won't, and I won't want to use one anyway, it would probably get really dirty and gross after a while).

For a bike network to be successful everyone of all ages must feel comfortable using the infrastructure and I don't believe bike lanes provides this sense of security. Although I hate to admit it, Vancouver is years ahead by providing exceptional bike infrastructure through it's downtown.

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/separated/index.htm

Radley77
Jan 30, 2012, 6:41 PM
For PBS to be successful separated bike lanes such as cycle tracks must be implemented in downtown to ensure the safety of cyclists. This is especially true if the city wants to increase the number of cyclists and if the PBS does not provide helmets(which it won't, and I won't want to use one anyway, it would probably get really dirty and gross after a while).

For a bike network to be successful everyone of all ages must feel comfortable using the infrastructure and I don't believe bike lanes provides this sense of security. Although I hate to admit it, Vancouver is years ahead by providing exceptional bike infrastructure through it's downtown.

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/separated/index.htm

Totally agreed. Putting in PBS now is like installing a ski lift to a peak where you have to take a black diamond route.

There are many more compelling opportunities out there for cycling infrastructure.

fusili
Jan 30, 2012, 7:14 PM
Totally agreed. Putting in PBS now is like installing a ski lift to a peak where you have to take a black diamond route.
There are many more compelling opportunities out there for cycling infrastructure.

Sweet man! Gets rid of the noobs.

Ramsayfarian
Jan 30, 2012, 7:28 PM

Can also make for an entertaining chair ride as you watch them careen down the hill.

Radley77
Jan 30, 2012, 7:35 PM
From the Centre City Action Plan Map the following projects are supposed to be built this year. About a month ago, 10 Ave S had a painted non-separated cycling lane during rush hour and sharrows for off peak; I am not aware of any other projects currently under construction.

Upgrade Existing 2011-2012

9 Ave SE (4 St SE to 6 St SE) X
10 Ave (14 St SW to 3 St SE) √
11 St SW (Bow River Pathway to 13 Ave SW) X

Implement New 2011-2012

3 Ave SW (Bow River Pathway to 6 St SW) X
8 Ave SW "Stephen" (11 St SW to 3 St SW "Barclay") X
13 Ave SW (4 St SW to 1 St SE) X
7 St SW (Bow River Pathway to 8 Ave SW "Stephen") X
6 St SW (Eau Claire Ave SW to 8 Ave SW "Stephen") X
3 St SW "Barclay" (Bow River Pathway to 8 Ave SW "Stephen") X
1 St SE (Bow River Pathway to 4 Ave SE) X
Macleod Trail SE (Bow River Pathway to 4 Ave SE) X
4 St SE (Bow River Pathway to 11 Ave SE) X

Legend
√ = Completed
▲ = In Progress
X = Not Started

kw5150
Jan 30, 2012, 7:37 PM
that is good news!

Radley77
Jan 31, 2012, 12:14 AM

We tries to capture noobs and then release them. Cyclepalooza is having a planning meeting tonight. http://cyclepalooza.ca/

Hopefully, Bike Calgary puts on another One-Day Urban Cycling Skills Course again this year. http://bikecalgary.org/training

ByeByeBaby
Jan 31, 2012, 4:52 AM
Personally, I think the bikeshare is too preliminary and agree should work on implementation of Centre City cycling infrastructure first.

You don't want the perfect to be the enemy of the good, but good infrastructure is important for a bikeshare to be successful.

Current research on the topic:
This study finds a significant correlation between the presence of bicycle lanes and Capital Bikeshare usage, and also highlights the importance of population density and mixed-uses in encouraging ridership.
Bike Lanes and Other Determinants of Capital Bikeshare Trips (http://pressamp.trb.org/conferenceinteractiveprogram/PresentationDetails.aspx?ID=49255&Email=)

Radley77
Jan 31, 2012, 9:34 PM
You don't want the perfect to be the enemy of the good, but good infrastructure is important for a bikeshare to be successful.

Current research on the topic:

Bike Lanes and Other Determinants of Capital Bikeshare Trips (http://pressamp.trb.org/conferenceinteractiveprogram/PresentationDetails.aspx?ID=49255&Email=)

Thanks, hadn't read that yet! Calgary is so off from being perfect and doesn't really even have the resources in place to do the bikeshare.

As one example, it is not until 2013 until the City of Calgary plans to do a comprehensive engagement on routes. Is the CTP McLeod Tr bike lane really feasible or does it make more sense to upgrade 5 St SW instead? Obviously this is a critical north\south cycling arterial route, and there is a lack of detail on short term plans.

To further highlight how badly cycling concerns are not being addressed in the Centre City, I evaluated what neighbourhoods has the highest ratio of pedestrians to cyclists. Beltline was in the top 5. In order for bikeshare to be successful, Beltline needs to have the right infrastructure in place first and be reflected by a general acceptance of Beltliners who cycle to work. Calgary could probably add Beltline cyclists cheaply just by expanding sidewalk bike parking.

UofC.engineer
Feb 3, 2012, 6:04 PM
2012 Bike Map was released recently.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Pathways/Calgary-pathways-and-bikeways-map.aspx

Looks good! More of the Calgary greenway was built along the ring road. However there are still many gaps in the system.

UofC.engineer
Feb 3, 2012, 6:10 PM
I hate Vancouver and the Canucks but I gotta say they are doing some amazing things with cycling infrastructure. Check out this video http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/separated/dunsmuir.htm

I wish a cycle track like this could be built along 6th ave from 11th street SW -> 6th street S.E. It would be able to tie into the pathway system perfectly. I find it hard to believe there are no continous East -> West links planned in the Cycling Strategy through Downtown.

And if a lane of traffic was taken out on 6th ave for a cycle track it would give Rick Bell new writing material for at least a year.

Calgarian
Feb 3, 2012, 6:20 PM
I hate Vancouver and the Canucks but I gotta say they are doing some amazing things with cycling infrastructure. Check out this video http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transport/cycling/separated/dunsmuir.htm

I wish a cycle track like this could be built along 6th ave from 11th street SW -> 6th street S.E. It would be able to tie into the pathway system perfectly. I find it hard to believe there are no continous East -> West links planned in the Cycling Strategy through Downtown.

And if a lane of traffic was taken out on 6th ave for a cycle track it would give Rick Bell new writing material for at least a year.
It would give the whole sun ammo for a year. Speaking of bike lanes, has the one on 10St worked out at all? I know the sun was going ape shit about it, but does anyone actually use it?

fusili
Feb 3, 2012, 6:28 PM
It would give the whole sun ammo for a year. Speaking of bike lanes, has the one on 10St worked out at all? I know the sun was going ape shit about it, but does anyone actually use it?

IMO, unless the bike lane is somehow physically separated, either with a curb or raised paving, it is useless. I see people using the lane occassionally, but it was exactly the same as before. If the city wants to actually support cycling in the downtown it has to grow a pair and implement actual bike lanes. "Sharrows" and painted lines don't work. Cars ignore them, and they don't make cyclists feel any safer.

Radley77
Feb 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
2012 Bike Map was released recently.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Pathways/Calgary-pathways-and-bikeways-map.aspx

Looks good! More of the Calgary greenway was built along the ring road. However there are still many gaps in the system.

That's great. Thanks! A couple new routes I wasn't aware of, not sure if they had the snow removal routes listed before either. I like that they listed a couple of retailers like Patagonia. Having clothes that are suitable for Calgary climate is a must-have.

UofC.engineer
Feb 3, 2012, 10:44 PM

It's too early to say since the lanes were only installed in fall, and thus the tail end of the season. This summer will be the true test. So if you live in the area around Sait and confederation park hop on a bike and put the lanes to use. :)

Radley77
Feb 3, 2012, 10:59 PM

I suspect there will be an uptick in use on 10 St NW when the Peace Bridge goes into action. This ties 10 St NW to 4 Ave NW to 7 St NW to Peace Bridge into the downtown. The few times I've either drove or biked by there hasn't been much bike use and there hasn't been any traffic congestion either. There had been quite a bit of gravel that had accumulated over winter on the side of 10 St NW bike lane but I believe that has now been cleaned up by roads.

I believe this work has already been done really to upgrade parts of 10 St NW as well north of 16 Ave to Northmount & 14 St NW:
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/cycling/Cycling-Route-Improvements/10-St-key-plan-and-sections.pdf

IMO: 10 St NW seems to have the opportunity to become a fairly well used cycling arterial. The feedback I have heard so far is that 10th Ave S is not going as well as 10 St NW.

DavidKuitunen
Feb 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_locnq4ASRY1qz5ttno1_400.jpg

The S-Trains already are the envy of transportation planners around the world. These new cars are put other subways in check. Brilliant idea to have them enter in one door, and exit via one way the other. So efficient.

Copenhagen is doubling the space for bikes on a number of its suburban trains to meet growth stimulated by the switch to free bike travel.

The Copenhagen S-train has also introduced one-way traffic in the new bike compartments to make it easier and faster to get on and off.

Ten S-Trains are being remodelled with the new compartments, which are in the middle of the train so that there is more space for bikes on the platform.

The train system in the Danish capital is being gradually improved for travellers with bikes as increasing numbers of passengers are combining bike and train for their commute.

Link (http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/42382/) to website.

It would be great if the Calgary Transit would retrofit a few cars too accommodate bikes like this.

kw5150
Feb 12, 2012, 6:09 AM
:previous::previous:

Cool trains. Its like a whole other world over there.

UofC.engineer
Feb 23, 2012, 5:36 AM
I applied for the position of Cycling Coordinator today! :haha: We'll see what happens

http://recruiting.calgary.ca/psc/pdhr/?cmd=login&errorPg=ckreq&languageCd=ENG

Radley77
Feb 23, 2012, 6:13 AM
I applied for the position of Cycling Coordinator today! :haha: We'll see what happens

Good luck man! I think it's a great rewarding position considering such a fine line between what is economically viable, what is politically viable, and what is technically feasible. Plus the rewards of seeing a project through to execution. i.e: Lots of challenges and opportunities! :tup:

I just got set up today with a ward 9 email account for Bike Calgary. Bike Calgary is also looking for reps for wards 2-5, 7, 12 and 13. I highly recommend those with an interest in cycling to get involved.
http://bikecalgary.org/node/3086

PS: Anyone with ideas on cycling improvements in ward 9 please feel free to get in touch.

UofC.engineer
Feb 23, 2012, 6:44 AM
:previous:
Thanks Buddy! There is no chance I'll get it since I recently finished my degree requirements in December and have no engg or media relations experience but I figured why not give it a shot???

What part of ward 9 do u live in? Because I have some bike maps I drew in my spare time up on google earth for the neighborhoods of Fairview, Acadia, Willow Park and Bonavista. Only Fairview and Acadia are in ward 9 though.

kw5150
Feb 23, 2012, 4:50 PM

Good luck man! Do us well.

Radley77
Feb 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
:previous:
Thanks Buddy! There is no chance I'll get it since I recently finished my degree requirements in December and have no engg or media relations experience but I figured why not give it a shot???

What part of ward 9 do u live in? Because I have some bike maps I drew in my spare time up on google earth for the neighborhoods of Fairview, Acadia, Willow Park and Bonavista. Only Fairview and Acadia are in ward 9 though.

I live in Bridgeland; ward 9 is a complex ward from Dover to Roxboro and Bridgeland to Acadia. I'm definitely interested in any ideas from all the areas in ward 9.

Fairview is interesting; it's close to the Bow River pathway system for recreation, but also Chinook and RockyView Hospital major activity centres. It also has no designated cycling routes and curvilinear street grid. I'm keen on any ideas you may have. I am trying to package up some of these ideas on a ward basis to submit as proposals to the City of Calgary. I have heard many times from the active mode transportation group that they are swamped so there is a need to communicate effectively. I also would like to meet with some of the different community association board members to have them on board with various proposals, gather their input and help expedite the process.

UofC.engineer
Feb 24, 2012, 5:33 AM
This is a route I take when biking to Chinook Station and chinook mall. It's faster than the city's recomended bike route and it uses streets with less auto traffic.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=217214862658505105117.0004a3ead90910fa837b0&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14&vpsrc=1

I think the city needs to seriously review it's current on street bikeways. There are many bikeways which are impractical to ride on and many routes can be improved by adding adequate signage under the NACTO standards. http://nacto.org/cities-for-cycling/design-guide/bikeway-signing-marking/bike-route-way-finding-signage-and-markings-system/

kw5150
Feb 24, 2012, 6:51 AM
Vancouver, (In the neighborhood near 4th st and Arbutus specifically) has a much better pedestrian framework than Calgary IMOOC (in my opinion of course). I found that the drivers were happy with it and so were the pedestrians.

There seemed to be one crossing at almost every block, and the lights seemed quicker than ours (cant remember exactly from 2003). When a pedestrian hit the button to cross, the vehicles stopping for the pedestrians, left plenty of room for motorists to cross as well (from the side streets).

I think the roads in the Arbutus area were slightly more narrow than the roads you see in Calgary's beltline (with exception the 17th of course), but everything just ran smoothly anyway. The density of people, trees, planters and other things also seemed to make general tasks more tolerable for everyone.

Do we need more signalled crossings? Slightly narrower roads? Slightly wider sidewalks?? Something is just a bit off in Calgary compared to Vancouver, especially with the main retail streets.

I really cant wait to watch Calgary shed its former self and become something new. We have a lot to learn from other successful cities.

All in all though, there is something great I love about Calgary. The Brits cant get enough of this place. :)

Radley77
Mar 5, 2012, 4:37 PM
This is a route I take when biking to Chinook Station and chinook mall. It's faster than the city's recomended bike route and it uses streets with less auto traffic.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=217214862658505105117.0004a3ead90910fa837b0&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14&vpsrc=1

I think the city needs to seriously review it's current on street bikeways. There are many bikeways which are impractical to ride on and many routes can be improved by adding adequate signage under the NACTO standards. http://nacto.org/cities-for-cycling/design-guide/bikeway-signing-marking/bike-route-way-finding-signage-and-markings-system/

Hi, interesting idea. Do you think Fairmount Dr SE could have barrier protected bike lanes instead of your proposed idea of sidewalk upgrade to multi use pathway? IMO, Fairmount Dr SE (or alternative) should continue north from the preexisting bike lane that ends at Heritage. I avoid sidewalk usage wherever possible since I perceive it as a higher safety risk than riding responsibly on the road.

UofC.engineer
Apr 27, 2012, 1:50 AM
Looks like the city will finally connect the 9th ave bike lanes to inglewood this year.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/cycling/Cycling-Route-Improvements/9av-route-context-map.pdf

http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis/DirectDownload.aspx?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.calgary.ca%2fTransportation%2fTP%2fDocuments%2fcycling%2fCycling-Route-Improvements%2f9av-bike-lanes-pathway-final-design.pdf&noredirect=1

Tropics
Apr 30, 2012, 6:03 AM
The west LRT bike routes are having an information session at Westbrook Mall on May 2nd, from 2-4 according to a billboard on 32nd street, 4-8 according to the city website.

I was looking over some of the plans and am not at all impressed with what they are doing and the results of the decisions they are making if they carry through with them will be nothing more then a huge reduction in the number of people encouraged to cycle in this city as a form of transportation due to safety concerns and a lack of ease when cycling along with making driving on the some of these streets a gigantic pain as well.

This is what Copenhagen, a city with alot of cyclists has done to add safety for cyclists and not interfere with automobile traffic.

http://www.bikepaths.com.au/system/0000/0145/PM_bikelane-420x0.jpg from bikepaths.com.au

Vancouver, Melbourne, and other cities are spending alot of money converting their bikeroutes along city streets to a similar fashion as seen below.

http://www.straight.com/files/images/inline/WEB_crosssection-hornby_2010.jpg from straight.com

Calgary should take note that these cities are spending money converting to this, and not create dated bike routes along roads that other cities are now moving away from. Instead Calgary is proposing things like this.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/IrishCharm1/worstideaever.jpg from the City of Calgary west LRT bike route proposal

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/IrishCharm1/whatnottodo.jpg City of Calgary

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/IrishCharm1/whatnottodo2.jpg City of Calgary

What cities around the world have realized is that you do NOT put bike routes on the same lane as cars. Bikes tend not to travel as fast as cars and when cars pass bikes accidents can take place that are not the fault of either party and are more the result of two vehicles that should NOT be sharing the same lane. Nor do you put the bike route BESIDE the traffic between the parked cars and the moving cars. When a car parks and a driver opens their door where is that door going? Into the bike lane. Now the biker has the quick reflexes to stop his bike in order not to hit the door, or worse they swerve into the automobile lane and get hit by a car. By putting the bike lane on the inside of the parked cars the drivers side door does not open into the bike lane and as above a small barrier can make it such that the passenger side door does not either. Even if the passenger side door DID open to impeed the bike their swerving does not now take them into 3000 pound+ vehicles that are traveling 50KM an hour.

This is what you do, and clearly the city is aware that the idea does exist.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/IrishCharm1/properbikelanes.jpg City of Calgary

That is what you do for the WHOLE route on roads when you "have" to put a bike route on a roadway. If there is not room on a particular road then you remove a parking lane to fit it, if you cannot do that on a particular road then you do NOT build a bike route on that exact road at all and find another nearby road that goes in the same direction that you can do it on.

The places where they put the parked cars on the curb and the bike lane on the traffic side make NO SENSE, it would take virtually no more room to switch the parked car lane and the bike lane so that the parked cars no form a barrier between bike traffic and bikes and bikers no longer need to fee the nerves of getting "squeezed" between a moving and parked car by a driver who moves too close.

Those lanes on the outside of the parked cars and the lanes that actually share the road with the cars are the worst implementation of a proper bike route system imaginable. Many cities already have what the City of Calgary is proposing and they are actively spending infrastructure money to move AWAY from that. We should do it right in the first place and do what those cities are now moving towards.

If they do an actual proper system there is actually a very likely positive benefit in the number of people who commute by bike. Many cities who have implemented proper bike routes such as Copenhagen and what Vancouver are moving towards see HUGE increases in the number of people who commute by bicycle. If they mess this up and make biking unattractive and dangerous seeming doing what the other cities had and moved away from "BEFORE" they saw those huge increases then obviously bicycle commuting in Calgary will be lower then what it could be.

DizzyEdge
Apr 30, 2012, 6:16 AM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/IrishCharm1/worstideaever.jpg
city of calgary

lol, yeah right.

I'm with you, I don't understand why if bike lanes are put on the side of a street with has both parking and driving, you would put the lane in between the two so that a) as you said, swerve to avoid a door and boom, hit by a vehicle. or b) cars entering or leaving the parking curb lane have to cross bike lanes.

Like instead of this:

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/IrishCharm1/whatnottodo.jpg
city of calgary

Why not this?

http://i.imgur.com/KmlqT.jpg

Actually I suppose one reasoning is that people then have to walk across bike lanes to get the sidewalk after parking. I see there are green crosswalk patches in the Copenhagen pic though.

DizzyEdge
Apr 30, 2012, 6:31 AM
By the way, I can't wait for the bike paths to be connected between the EV and Inglewood. I've been walking home lately down 9th ave and there's more cyclists on the sidewalk than pedestrians. On friday one didn't even slow down as he squeezed between me and a telephone poll, missing me by about 2 inches. Eventually I started just walking on the grass to avoid them. Then Saturday, I was walking north on 10th street where there are dedicated bike lanes on the street, and had 2 bikes on the lane, and another on the sidewalk at the same time. Stupid.

fusili
Apr 30, 2012, 3:01 PM
Tropics and Dizzy- you guys are completely right. There is no reason why the bike lanes are not in the curb lane, switched with parking. This is ridiculous. I encourage you guys not only to provide feedback directly to the city, but to contact groups such as Bike Calgary, and see if you can get a coordinated response. This is going backwards.

fusili
Apr 30, 2012, 3:39 PM
This is what I think should be done for SW Calgary in terms of bike lanes:

Create east/west on-street lanes (as described above) on the following streets:

- 21st Avenue (build a bicycle bridge across Crowchild to connect 21st avenue and 20th avenue- but make it a proper bicycle bridge- i.e. have a straight ramp on each side).
- 26th Avenue (turn the existing bike lane into a separated lane with a curb). Also connect it into Prospect avenue via 14a street and 24th avenue and a bike bridge or signalized crossing across 14th. in Mount Royal so then it could connect to either 11th Street or 8th street through the Beltline

Create north/south on-street lanes on the following streets:

- 20th Street
- 26th street (connects to river pathway)
- 29th street (connects south to MRU)
- 33rd street (connects to river pathway via Sarcee road)

Tropics
Apr 30, 2012, 7:11 PM
Tropics and Dizzy- you guys are completely right. There is no reason why the bike lanes are not in the curb lane, switched with parking. This is ridiculous. I encourage you guys not only to provide feedback directly to the city, but to contact groups such as Bike Calgary, and see if you can get a coordinated response. This is going backwards.

I am going to go to that meeting and I will address the comments on this thread, the comments on forums where the properly set up bike lanes have been implemented and where the bicyclists have seen it as a resounding positive and the percentage of people using bikes went up dramatically.

I will see if I can contact that "Bike Calgary" thing, are they a city thing or a public group?

With enough negative feedback on the nature of these bike routes and the constructive discussion of the alternative curb side bike routes being implemented by other cities I am pretty sure they would rework this whole proposal, and that would be better for everyone in this city whether they bike or not, as well as being better for the city itself as it shows it is at the cutting edge of forward thinking with this type of thing.

MasterG
May 1, 2012, 5:52 AM
I am going to go to that meeting and I will address the comments on this thread, the comments on forums where the properly set up bike lanes have been implemented and where the bicyclists have seen it as a resounding positive and the percentage of people using bikes went up dramatically.

I will see if I can contact that "Bike Calgary" thing, are they a city thing or a public group?

With enough negative feedback on the nature of these bike routes and the constructive discussion of the alternative curb side bike routes being implemented by other cities I am pretty sure they would rework this whole proposal, and that would be better for everyone in this city whether they bike or not, as well as being better for the city itself as it shows it is at the cutting edge of forward thinking with this type of thing.

As for the 13th Ave proposal, the reason it was chosen for shared access like that was due to the very limited car traffic along 13th. Bike Calgary is an advocacy group, not directly linked to the city I believe, however they are often consulted with and bring attention to issues. I would try to contact Calgary Pathway Advisory Council (CPAC) to voice your concerns, they are advocacy group created by the city to represent the users of pathways and on-street bikeways, they may have a better idea on how to most effectively voice your concerns.

If you are serious about seeing a change to the plans however, advocacy groups are not as effective as the political avenues. Send a letter to the alderman.

DizzyEdge
May 1, 2012, 2:38 PM
I notice this site/document: http://nacto.org/cities-for-cycling/design-guide/bike-lanes/conventional-bike-lanes/

indicates that bike lanes are to be between traffic and parking lanes, as well Wikipedia mentions "According to the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, on-road bicycle lanes should always be located between the parking lane and the travel lane.[1]" although interestingly enough that [1] reference http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/engineering/facilities-widelanes.cfm doesn't actually seem to say that.

kw5150
May 8, 2012, 8:53 PM
Was out for a site meeting today on my bike and took the pathways. Astounding how many people are using the area around the peace bridge, eau claire, barclay mall, courts park, Stephen ave, Memorial Park......and the list goes on and on. Does anyone even use their car at lunch in this city?? What a great experience. All of the pedestrian infrastructure build over the last 30 years in REALLY paying off.

Some images.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3565/dsc0245yj.jpg
By kw5150 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/kw5150) at 2012-05-08

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5661/dsc0247xz.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9103/dsc0249d.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8854/dsc0252m.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8273/dsc0254m.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3259/dsc0255g.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3773/dsc0256zn.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1069/dsc0261hi.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/552/dsc0262md.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8498/dsc0264cl.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3982/dsc0265bq.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3081/dsc0266j.jpg

hulkrogan
May 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
Great shots! I can't wait to see what the bridge traffic looks like during Stampede. Some photos that week could make a great counter point to everyone saying a bridge doesn't attract tourists.

polishavenger
May 8, 2012, 10:40 PM
the asphalt pathways around the bridge look ghetto, need upgrading to similar standard as the main path.

kw5150
May 9, 2012, 4:07 PM
the asphalt pathways around the bridge look ghetto, need upgrading to similar standard as the main path.

The design for the Peace Bridge landscape is inspired by a "River Delta". It has paths that radiate out in many directions from the peace bridge and connect to every possible pathway in the area. At first I wasn't sure about the design (because I think it should be a large plaza space similar to riverwalk instead of a whole bunch of pathways), but it has grown on me a bit. I hope the firm modifies their design a bit to allow for more of a gathering space.