PDA

View Full Version : Official Mountain West NBA Thread 2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

scottharding
May 7, 2010, 6:00 PM
The Lakers may be too much for the Jazz, but they're not gonna sweep. They've got two to play in Utah, and AK is back. I think this series goes 6-7 games. If the Suns can put away the Spurs soon enough, Utah will wear down LA, and Nash can finally make the finals.

shakman
May 8, 2010, 1:23 AM
:previous:
You guys are just pissed, because you guys got owned by the Jazz in the first round. Enjoy your long summer Denver. :haha: At least we can agree on never rooting for the Lakers.

Damn Hollywood Fakers. Game 3 of the Phoenix and San Antonio series is tonight. Thank God it is Friday so I can stay up and watch Game 3 - expected to finish around Midnight on the East Coast.

blm3034L!fe
May 8, 2010, 1:33 AM
You guys are just pissed, because you guys got owned by the Jazz in the first round. Enjoy your long summer Denver. :haha: At least we can agree on never rooting for the Lakers.

The Spazz will be joining us VERY SOON! So pull up a chair and have a beer with your Denver fans on the other side of them there hills my friend... ;) :cheers:

TonyAnderson
May 9, 2010, 2:02 AM
They ran a cool article today showing the Jazz's dominance in Utah since they've been here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/web-85126.jpg
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700030586/Lee-Benson-If-only-Jazz-didnt-ever-leave-ESA.html?pg=2

SLC Projects
Jun 15, 2010, 3:18 AM
Utah Jazz are to unveil their new logo and colors tomorrow. Rumor has it that the team is going back to their original Jazz note Logo from the 70's and 80's with Dark Blue, Dark Green and Yellow. We'll see. :yes:

blm3034L!fe
Jul 15, 2010, 10:00 PM
They ran a cool article today showing the Jazz's dominance in Utah since they've been here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/web-85126.jpg
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700030586/Lee-Benson-If-only-Jazz-didnt-ever-leave-ESA.html?pg=2

All that and still no Chumpionship!!! Haha

Al Harrington coming to Denva baby I like it.....

TonyAnderson
Jul 16, 2010, 12:21 AM
The Jazz turned what I thought would be a very medicore season into something very exciting. Al Jefferson (way better than the Al Denver got), Raja Bell, and Hayward. Jefferson's top numbers trump anything Boozer had done, plus the guy plays a little defense too. He also seems really happy to be here. If anything, this will keep Deron around for the long-run.

scottharding
Jul 16, 2010, 12:31 AM
Yeah, Tony, the Jazz pulled a rabbit out of the hat. I was really worried when Boozer and Korver left (though I expected them to), but Al Jefferson is a great replacement, and Bell is a good add too. And Hayward impressed in the summer league. AJ will be very motivated. He's never played for a winning team, and when they introduced him today he seemed like he'd just been freed from jail coming here. If Okur gets healthy soon enough, we won't be taking any steps backwards.
It's going to be an interesting season. We'll finally get rid of AK's contract this year, and that will create room for another upgrade. I really expect the Jazz to try and move Kirilenko before the trade deadline.
I'll be interesting to see what happens in the West. I think Pheonix is out of the playoff race, and Oklahoma City should only get better. I think Denver will stay the same, but Carmello should play great in his contract year. Then he's off to NY, is my guess. So the NW division will be super competitive again this year.

TonyAnderson
Jul 16, 2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah, Tony, the Jazz pulled a rabbit out of the hat. I was really worried when Boozer and Korver left (though I expected them to), but Al Jefferson is a great replacement, and Bell is a good add too. And Hayward impressed in the summer league. AJ will be very motivated. He's never played for a winning team, and when they introduced him today he seemed like he'd just been freed from jail coming here. If Okur gets healthy soon enough, we won't be taking any steps backwards.
It's going to be an interesting season. We'll finally get rid of AK's contract this year, and that will create room for another upgrade. I really expect the Jazz to try and move Kirilenko before the trade deadline.
I'll be interesting to see what happens in the West. I think Pheonix is out of the playoff race, and Oklahoma City should only get better. I think Denver will stay the same, but Carmello should play great in his contract year. Then he's off to NY, is my guess. So the NW division will be super competitive again this year.

A week ago I was thinking the west would have the same playoff teams minus the Jazz and Suns, with possibly the Clippers and Grizzlies replacing them. You got to think the Jazz are back in. And the Suns made a nice move as well acquiring Turkolou, but I don't know if that will be enough. I think the Clippers with a healthy Blake Griffin, newly signed Foye, and their lottery pick, along with an already talented team (Baron Davis, Kaman) will be a surprisingly good team and replace the Suns this year.

The West looks great again and I'm expecting the battle from 1-8 to be just as intense, if not more, than last year.

scottharding
Jul 16, 2010, 2:53 AM
Yeah, you make a good point about the Clippers, although I won't believe it til I see it. The Clippers have horrible management, and have a strange habit of aquiring players who don't really care. They've had a lot of talent before, and always fizzle early.
I'm curious about Portland too. While I think they'll be good, I don't think they'll be any stronger than last year, even with Brandon Roy healthy all year. They're so out of sync for some reason. I think and San Antonio will continue to regress too. And Houston, well, who knows what Yao Ming's status is.
But the West is still as competitive as ever, even with so much power shifting East. Chicago and Miami are going to be mighty good, and I think Milwaukee will keep improving.

SLC Projects
Jul 16, 2010, 4:28 PM
All that and still no Chumpionship!!! Haha

Al Harrington coming to Denva baby I like it.....

Al Jefferson's better. :D

At least we've been to the finals.

scottharding
Jul 16, 2010, 5:33 PM
Al Harrington is a good pick up. They'll need him just to keep breathing when Mello defects next summer.

TonyAnderson
Jul 17, 2010, 5:40 AM
Well Portland will have Oden back. Yeah it'll probably only be 5 or 6 games, but you never know ;) They also got two first round draft picks and probably Wes Mathews as well.

If you look at it, almost every team in the West got better. The exception may be the Spurs which seemed to have stayed the same, and with their age, that's basically a decline as you mentioned. And the Suns, but not by a lot.

Here's a great chart from ESPN that shows the key movements for each team this offseason: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=transactions-10-11

SLC Projects
Jul 17, 2010, 6:20 AM
I hate Portland right now. Sealing Wes Mathews away from us. Grrrrrrrrrr :hell:
Times like this makes me wish the Miller family has deeper pockets.

delts145
Jul 17, 2010, 1:59 PM
I'm most worried about losing Deron. We can build an outstanding Jazz team around D Will, if he sticks around. If we can just get past this Kirilenko contract, which has proven to be a huge waste of funds. Let's then direct some of the money toward players, the likes of Deron Williams (a far more consistant player and outstanding leader), and also increase our ability to carry a larger luxury tax.

scottharding
Jul 17, 2010, 4:16 PM
I think this summer was a step in the right direction for keeping Deron around. AJ is a good pick-up, and should flourish under Sloan. Bell is a wise move because he's got enough years in him to let Gordon Hayward develop without being a detriment to the team.
And AK's albotross of a contract comes off the book this year. Either he leaves as a free agent, and we free up a lot of money to add some more role players (a freakin shot blocker!) or we resign him for much less. The Jazz are in a good position. The front office is aware, I'm sure, that they've got two season, including this upcoming season, to make this team a real contender. They'll do it.

TonyAnderson
Jul 17, 2010, 10:20 PM
What's Okur's contract situation?

scottharding
Jul 17, 2010, 11:10 PM
Another two years. His is up the same year Deron gets to opt out, if he so choses.

SLC4L
Jul 18, 2010, 5:40 AM

Something tells me he will unless something big happens with this team. He made a comment along the lines of, "That's why I signed three years." when the media asked him about his (dissatisfied) thoughts on trading Brewer.

SLC4L
Nov 23, 2010, 9:08 AM
So... um... how 'bout them Jazz?

scottharding
Nov 23, 2010, 5:17 PM
Ah, nice to see this thread again. I forgot about it. Sort of funny to read back over the posts from this summer. Like how the Clippers are currently the worst team in the league! And Miami isn't looking too good either.

Go Jazz!

SLC Projects
Nov 23, 2010, 5:33 PM
Here we go again. LOL.

airhero
Nov 28, 2010, 4:38 AM
GO LAKERS!!!:yes:

SLC4L
Nov 28, 2010, 6:41 AM
GO LAKERS!!!:yes:

No. What are you doing? Stop doing that! I don't like it! STOP! NO!

scottharding
Nov 29, 2010, 1:24 AM
I wonder if that "Go Lakers" was sarcastic? I can't see any other reason to post it after the Jazz trashed them on Friday night.

KingsFan#1
Nov 29, 2010, 1:34 AM
Although they suck right now....Go Kings.....and Lakers......who don't suck and could skool the jazz.......:yes: and the nuggets:notacrook:

wrendog
Nov 29, 2010, 1:47 AM
Although they suck right now....Go Kings.....and Lakers......who don't suck and could skool the jazz.......:yes: and the nuggets:notacrook:

Kings fan AND Laker fan? That makes no sense.

KingsFan#1
Nov 29, 2010, 1:58 AM
and warriors, but kings the most.

Why does it not make since, the two teams used to be rivals, but now they're just two teams, one good, and one not so good. If the two become rivals again, i'll stick with the kings, but i like alot of the players on the lakers, so I like the team. As for the jazz and nuggets, both are kind of just there.

Also, nuggets fans are going to be going through the same thing the kings went and are kind of still going through, because billups is old and melo is propably gonna go to new york. At that point, your star players will be afflalo and nene:haha: , not to be mean, I'm only speaking the truth

FrancoRey
Nov 29, 2010, 3:08 AM
Go Nuggets....I'll agree.

Haven't been paying as much attention yet since the season just started. But yes, things could look way different in Denver in just a few months. Our organization is teetering right now. Who knows what direction it will go in.

scottharding
Dec 2, 2010, 7:55 PM
Go Jazz! Winners of 7 straight!

Hey Kingsfan, how about your Kings and Lakers? Combined they went 0-9 this week. That's fun. Even as a bandwagon fan you can't get wins.

SLC Projects
Dec 2, 2010, 8:31 PM
Go Jazz! Winners of 7 straight!

..................and you just jinx it. That's why I haven't said anything about it. When ever in the past I've brought up how well the Jazz are playing or how many games they have won in a row that's when they start to lose. :yes:

SLC Projects
Dec 4, 2010, 7:14 AM
..................and you just jinx it. That's why I haven't said anything about it. When ever in the past I've brought up how well the Jazz are playing or how many games they have won in a row that's when they start to lose. :yes:

See.

Mavs win 8th straight, beating Jazz 93-81
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=304&sid=13517894

Jazz never seem to do well during those so called "Big games" that all of the NBA is watching.

scottharding
Dec 4, 2010, 10:40 PM
haha, sorry projects. That must be tough to be superstitious. I'll be careful of that from now on. Anything to help the Jazz.

SLC Projects
Dec 11, 2010, 6:05 PM
haha, sorry projects. That must be tough to be superstitious. I'll be careful of that from now on. Anything to help the Jazz.

:haha: I'm just giving you crap. You can talk about the Jazz. I'm really not that superstitious, but when it comes with the Jazz I tend to be. Oh well. I hope they play good tonight at Dallas. That will be a tough one since it's a back end of a back-to-back and they play a hot team that has won 11 in a row. Dallas has to lose at some point so it might as well be tonight. :tup:

scottharding
Dec 12, 2010, 12:38 AM
Oh, I know Projects, and I literally felt a little bad, cuz it was funny that right after I posted that, and you warned me, they lost! haha.
I'm with you. Let's home the Jazz set right my mistake tonight!

SLC Projects
Dec 12, 2010, 5:46 PM
Well they didn't. Sorry. Kind of hard for any team to win when they start out being down 29-4. That has to be some kind of record. The Jazz came back to tie late in the 3rd ( I think ), but Dallas is just unstoppable right now. I think it could be Dallas and Miami finals.
This was a hard week for the Jazz having to play Miami, then Orlando and then Dallas the following nights. I hate back to backs. The NBA shouldn't do those. It's unfair for any team to have to play a game on the road or at home and then right after that game they have to hop on a plane to fly out somewhere to have to play another game less then 24 hours later. No time to rest. Oh well. Next week should be better for them. Still they went 2 and 2 this week so not too bad.

scottharding
Dec 12, 2010, 7:00 PM
Yeah, Dallas is brutal this season. Miami is coming on, but I just don't see them getting by the Celtics. I think Dallas/Boston would be a great finals series, but a lot can happen before then.
Back to backs suck, and my understanding is that the Jazz play more back to backs because they don't play home games on Sundays. So a bit of a disadvantage there.

Boisekid
Dec 13, 2010, 12:17 AM
Next 7 games for Utah seem pretty winnable:

vs Golden State W
@ New Orleans W
@ Milwaukee L (b2b)
@ Cleveland W
@ Minnesota W
vs Portland W
@ LA Clippers W

I know most are road games, but the only tough one should be New Orleans and last I checked, DWill is like 13-3 against his buddy Chris Paul. Jazz should win 6 of their next 7, they'll slip up somewhere. Sittin at 23-9 would be pretty good. Then only 1 of their next 9 opponents will be against playoff teams from last year (that being Atlanta at home). Jazz could/should go on a nice run here. Seems like some of the toughest part of the schedule may be behind them.

Lookin at their schedule i think they'll be 40-16 at the All-Star break. Sorry for the long post, I just now realized there was a Mountain West NBA Thread ;)

SLC4L
Dec 13, 2010, 5:22 AM
The Mavericks PA Announcer is so annoying. "DE-FENSE!!!! - DE-FENSE!!!" or "TIMEOUT UUUUUTAH!!!!"

SLC Projects
Dec 13, 2010, 3:46 PM
Next 7 games for Utah seem pretty winnable:

vs Golden State W
@ New Orleans W
@ Milwaukee L (b2b)
@ Cleveland W
@ Minnesota W
vs Portland W
@ LA Clippers W

I know most are road games, but the only tough one should be New Orleans and last I checked, DWill is like 13-3 against his buddy Chris Paul. Jazz should win 6 of their next 7, they'll slip up somewhere. Sittin at 23-9 would be pretty good. Then only 1 of their next 9 opponents will be against playoff teams from last year (that being Atlanta at home). Jazz could/should go on a nice run here. Seems like some of the toughest part of the schedule may be behind them.

That is true. Miami and Orlando are out of the way, as well as two Dallas games and two OKC games.

So far this season the Jazz are......

1-1 VS Miami
2-0 VS Orlando
1-1 VS OKC
0-2 VS Dallas :hell:
1-0 VS Lakers

Jazz need to find a way to beat Dallas. :yes:

airhero
Dec 14, 2010, 12:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Jazz so far have had the second hardest schedule in the NBA after the Bulls, according to John Hollinger, and the schedule for their last ten has been THE hardest. I think the hardest is behind them for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the rest of their December games, even though most are away games.

FrancoRey
Dec 14, 2010, 2:58 AM
I'm watching another season where the Thuggets are going to the playoffs, and then will collapse in the first round because:

A) We will lose bratty Melo to New York in late February and thus our best offensive scorer for any playoff push.

B) Billups will lose his importance and skill as he ages we will begin to lose our leadership for the team.

C) K-mart and J.R. never actually have been good at being team players. They score (when K-mart isn't hurt and JR hits threes), and then get into some stupid trouble and get suspended for a few games.

It's really gonna suck to be a Thuggets fan in about 3 months. It may be a tough next few years as we lose our best players. We may be doing fine now, but the team is going to fall apart after this season, IMO. Maybe before.

scottharding
Dec 14, 2010, 9:57 PM
Yeah, the Nuggets are gonna have a tough season, but you never know. Everyone counted the Jazz out with Boozer, Korver, and Matthews leaving, and I think the Jazz are actually better this season without them. (Maybe we miss Matthews) Losing Melo may help the team, which is why I think it would be best for Denver to send him NY for a trade exception, before he can walk away for nothing.

SLC Projects
Jan 22, 2011, 7:08 AM
Ok, the Jazz suck again, but what else is new.

SLC4L
Jan 27, 2011, 6:53 AM

Tis true, and yes it is frustrating. However, a few years back the ailing Houston Rockets went on a spontaneous 22 game win streak, which put them in the playoffs against the Jazz (who then beat them).

The season just barely passed the halfway mark, so there is still hope. The season is not over yet. Every time things look bleak I just remind myself of the 2004 ALCS between the Yankees and Red Sox.

scottharding
Jan 27, 2011, 7:26 PM
Yup, a six-game losing streak is ugly for the Jazz, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's over. I was at the game last night (spurs/Jazz) and it was a great game. Deron Williams and Al Jefferson played off the hook! They combined for 61 points, 11 assists, and 13 rebounds. In other words, they accounted for half the team's points, half the team's assists, and a third of the teams rebounds. They were fantastic. That duo works like clock work now. But they need help. Of course, AK, CJ and Millsap are always going to be contributors, but Raja Bell is a bust, and Memo is looking like he's never really going to be back to form either. And let's be honest, Ronnie Price has never been an NBA calliber player.
I think Jeremy Evans and Gordon Hayward deserve those minutes. Yes, they're going to make mistakes, but honestly, they can't hurt us any more than Bell and Okur do at this point. At least they'll score, and here's the deal from last night. If the Jazz hadn't tanked in the second quarter when the second unit was in, we'd have beat the Spurs. The Spurs won the game on a 17-0 run in the second quarter when the Jazz second unit simply couldn't score. Sit Price. Sit Bell. Play Hayward. Because D-will and Jefferson need some help.

SLC Projects
Jan 27, 2011, 8:39 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here as well and say that come summer 2012 D-Will is out of here. He's not going to stick around for the Jazz if Kevin O'Connor isn't willing to give him help. And I mean real help. Fact is the Jazz must make a trade and I mean NOW!!! However Kevin O'Connor is probably right now playing the 6th hole of 18 with his buddies.

scottharding
Feb 10, 2011, 7:29 PM
Jerry Sloan is retiring.

SLC Projects
Feb 10, 2011, 8:47 PM
Report: Utah coach Sloan to resign today

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/02/10/sloan-breaking/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Makid
Feb 10, 2011, 9:06 PM
I have seen reports from people close to the situation and the reason the resignations happened was because Sloan and D-Will got into a big argument after the game.

Sloan has stated many times in the past that if he wasn't able to coach effectively, he would resign immediately. It sounds like this is what happened. If a player won't respect a coach, one of the 2 will go.

I am sad to hear that he is leaving. I have met and talked with him a few times. He is an honest guy and is very old school with regards to his interactions with people. I feel he will be sorely missed.

Now, who will replace him? Any guesses prior to the news conference?

airhero
Feb 10, 2011, 9:37 PM
Well for now, looks like it's Corbin. I don't have any guesses for the long term, though. You know, this whole season, my respect for Deron Williams has been going down. He's kind of a punk, and really negative in his interviews. I'm sure he'll be gone in 2012. I kind of hope he does go. . .and that the Jazz draft JIMMER!!!

scottharding
Feb 10, 2011, 10:35 PM
I've heard a number of rumors, all coming from sources "close to so-and-so" and none of them confirmed true. I've heard that he and Deron are butting heads. I've heard that O'Connor wanted to trade Ak for someone who refuses to come to Utah if Sloan is there. I've heard that O'Connor and Miller wanted him gone and offerred him resignation so that he wouldn't be "fired."

I've always liked Sloan and admired his unbreakable quality, but in all honesty, I do feel that his coaching methods have become dated, that he hasn't adapted to the current play of the NBA, and for this reason, I don't begrudge D-Will his concern. However, I don't like seeing Sloan leave like this. He deserves much better after all he's given the organization, and I feel that even if players were disatisfied, mutiny is not a good choice. We'll see what happens. I just hope it's not as ugly as all the rumors are suggesting, but I guess given the nature of it all, it probably is something undesirable.

scottharding
Feb 10, 2011, 10:36 PM
As to Jimmers, I'm sure you were just joking, because there's no way he's coming to the Jazz. He'll go early in the draft.

airhero
Feb 11, 2011, 12:17 AM
Yeah, it's a bit of a joke . . . of course, if the Jazz keep playing the way they do, they may just get one of the first draft picks . . . hehe . . . that's one of the few good things about sucking . . . probably won't happen though. As for rumors, I've read on ESPN that the Jazz may actually trade Williams before the deadline. But, of course, that probably won't happen either. I don't imagine he'll be around for more than another season. Having Sloan gone now makes me a little sick. I agree that maybe his "methods have become dated," so maybe Williams isn't that big of a punk, he just wants to win . . . but Sloan's been here so long, I can't imagine the Jazz without him. I think we'll find, though, that not much changes for the Jazz as far as this season goes...

SLC Projects
Feb 11, 2011, 5:31 PM
I am a bit disappointed that Sloan is stepping down mid-season like that. After 23 years of coaching and he gets the boot overnight. Something had to gone down with him and D-Will. I've heard that D-Will said that come next year if Coach Sloan is still around then he will not. One of the disappointing things is that I really wanted to see Sloan reach the all time winningest coach. He was a 1,221 wins and needed about a 100 more. Also sad to see that after 23 years as being one of the greatest coaches of all time he'll never get the coach of the year award or a championship. I guess that's the price to pay for coaching for a low market team like Utah. Anyways I wish Sloan the best of luck in the future and I hope after this D-Will puts the money where his mouth is and stays next year. ( I still think he'll leave come next year, even after all this. )
Also as for Jimmer, I'm sorry but that's just wishful thinking that he would play for the Jazz. While yes I would like to see that also Jimmer will get one of the top draft picks and he'll be long gone by the time the Jazz come around with their pick.

s.p.hansen
Feb 11, 2011, 7:37 PM
In the future...........

Son: "Dad, what was 2011 like for you? What do you remember being the biggest headlines in Utah?"

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy126/sphansen47/tenure.jpg?t=1297453015

SLC Projects
Feb 11, 2011, 8:25 PM
Looks like the biggest headline is the "Kiplyn Davis Case" Jerry Sloan is the 2nd biggest for the day. :)

SLC4L
Feb 12, 2011, 9:48 AM
As you may have known, I've always been one to try and remain optimistic when it comes to the sporting franchises I like, but as far as the Jazz are concerned, I'm going to throw in the towel for now. There is no knowing how Corbin will affect the Jazz in the future at this time, but something is telling me that in coming years we're finally going to understand what it's like to be a fan of an underperforming team for a few seasons.

SLC Projects
Feb 12, 2011, 4:37 PM
As you may have known, I've always been one to try and remain optimistic when it comes to the sporting franchises I like, but as far as the Jazz are concerned, I'm going to throw in the towel for now. There is no knowing how Corbin will affect the Jazz in the future at this time, but something is telling me that in coming years we're finally going to understand what it's like to be a fan of an underperforming team for a few seasons.

I agree. So far Corbin is 0-1. Even with Sloan leaving the Jazz still going to have a ton of issues to work out. Lets face it, the Jazz suck. Plain and simple. There's no beating around the bush anymore. The Jazz are not going to make the playoffs this year and D-Will will leave next year and the Jazz are going to have to rebuild and start over.

Bob The Builder
Feb 14, 2011, 3:07 PM
I agree. So far Corbin is 0-1. Even with Sloan leaving the Jazz still going to have a ton of issues to work out. Lets face it, the Jazz suck. Plain and simple. There's no beating around the bush anymore. The Jazz are not going to make the playoffs this year and D-Will will leave next year and the Jazz are going to have to rebuild and start over.

Jazz will make the playoffs, most likely at the 6th or 7th seat. Its Portland (& Memphis) that is on the outside looking in; with having Brandon Roy missing so many games. Its more likely that Daren will end up staying here. With AK's and Memo's contracts ending (AK's this year, Memo next year), they will have the most to offer Deron and another top free agent. Deron does like it in Utah, in fact he is the ONLY one on the team that lives in Utah All Year (in the off season) when everyone else leaves.

airhero
Feb 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
I agree that as far as the contract goes, Deron's best choice will definitely be Utah . . . also, I think Sloan left because Kevin O'Connor and Co. were freaking out because he and Deron were not getting along. They're so afraid of losing Deron, they couldn't care less about Jerry Sloan. Sloan was supposedly talking with Kevin O'Connor in his office they day before he resigned, but I bet O'Connor was actually just yelling at him for clashing with Williams. I think that's why Sloan left. They weren't going to fire him after 20+ years of coaching--that would make them look bad. So, they told him to strongly consider leaving . . . and hey, Sloan's been around a while and he's tired . . . so, he left . . . I think it had more to do with Jazz management than with Williams. And I think despite the good contract he'll have with the Jazz and despite the fact that management got rid of Jerry Sloan, he'll end up leaving. Obviously, I believe it all comes down to how well they play for the remainder of this season and next season. But I think even if they make the playoffs at a seven or an eight seed, Williams is gonna want out . . . he wants to win. Of course, I don't really hope he leaves, as I had initially stated (hey, I was caught up in the moment), but I think he will . . .

"They changed the floor back to old school. They changed the uniform back to old school. Somebody tell the damn players to start playing like old school"-Karl Malone

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/02/11/karl.malone.ap/index.html#ixzz1DyPFeKkE

Karl Malone-future coach of the Utah Jazz?

xseven
Feb 15, 2011, 7:31 AM
Its more likely that Daren will end up staying here. With AK's and Memo's contracts ending (AK's this year, Memo next year), they will have the most to offer Deron and another top free agent. Deron does like it in Utah, in fact he is the ONLY one on the team that lives in Utah All Year (in the off season) when everyone else leaves.

I really hope you're right, but as a life-long Jazz fan without Coach Sloan, I envision a small-market NBA team struggling to recruit solid free-agent talent.

My biggest fear is that the Utah Jazz will slip into NBA irrelevance in the Western Conference (i.e. Minnesota Timberwolves, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings) and ultimately become a non-contender financial business that the Miller family will sell in the next five years.

Deron Williams will jump a sinking ship the first opportunity he gets (next year). The team will be sold and moved. Energy Solutions Arena (in the top third of aging NBA venues) will be demolished and turned into a "glorified Jordan Commons."

I don't want any of this to happen. I attended the 1997 NBA Finals Game 3 at the Delta Center. But if the city of Seattle couldn't save their SuperSonics (and they even had an NBA Championship trophy), then I sadly see the Jazz not playing in SLC beyond a decade from now. I know that the SuperSonics dispute came over tax dollars for a new venue, very different from the Miller's owning ESA, but the outcome is equally bleak.

I really hope I'm wrong on this forecast.

xseven
Feb 15, 2011, 7:38 AM
Karl Malone-future coach of the Utah Jazz?

Maybe, maybe as an NBA scout. Definitely not NBA Head Coach material.

His skull is filled up like a gum-ball machine.

Bob The Builder
Feb 15, 2011, 2:57 PM
Malone will Not be a coach. Great Player? - Yes. A Coach? - NO. He can't even put a sentence together when he talks. He said that ‘he’s just a phone call away’ if the Jazz need him. Yet, they called Hornacek, NOT Malone. Plus, with Malone shooting his mouth off about the ‘Jerry & D-Will issue’ and blaming D-Will is helping him with the Miller Family.
The Jazz Aren’t leaving Utah. The Miller’s just spent Millions of dollars in making improvements to the ESA. It’s true that Utah isn’t a big ‘Market’ – but it actually is NOT the smallest in the NBA. The problem is that the Miller Family is the richest owners in the NBA – near the bottom. But when Larry was alive he had and it is still in effect – a clause that if the Jazz are sold they can’t leave Utah and the Buyer has to be a Utahan. There are plenty of people in Utah that have deeper pockets than the Millers in Utah – Huntsman, Marriot, & that Sinclair Gas guy.
Bring Free Agents to Utah really isn’t a Huge problem as many think. Having talk to past and current NBA players, Most (not all) don’t care as much as you think. The Top concerns for most players is, 1- Money, 2- Opportunity (playing time, being important, being a ‘go to guy’), 3- other players on the team/how good the team is or might be. Lot of players know that when they play on a team they can really minimize the amount of time they are in their teams’ city. With the off season, road trips and if they do or do not make the playoffs a player would only at most have to be there about a total of 60% of the time.

SLC Projects
Feb 23, 2011, 4:57 PM
Well I called it.......

Report: Williams being traded to New Jersey
February 23rd, 2011 @ 9:38am
By ksl.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- Yahoo Sports reports that the New Jersey Nets and Utah Jazz have agreed to a deal that will send All-Star point guard Deron Williams to the Nets in a multi-player package.

According to the report, New Jersey will acquire Deron Williams and Golden State will receive Troy Murphy in exchange for Dan Gadzuric, while the Jazz will receive rookie Derrick Favors, point guard Devin Harris and two first-round draft picks from the Nets.

Adrian Wojnaroski of Yahoo Sports said on Twitter that it's a done deal.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=304&sid=14484498

I hate it when I'm right sometimes, but this just shows that nobody wants to play in our pathetic little market here in Salt Lake. Great, so now we don't even have an All-Star. :hell:

scottharding
Feb 23, 2011, 7:32 PM
This isn't an indication that nobody wants to play here. Deron Williams is not happy about this trade. What this does indicate is that players need to be careful what they say. Deron said over and over again that if the Jazz didn't compete for a title, he was gone in 2012. With the recent tail-spin of the Jazz, they figured it's better to get something for him now than nothing for him later. If Deron didn't want to go, he should have been more careful what he said.
Still, this is sad and frustrating. It all starts with Kevin O'Conner trading Brewer a season ago, and letting Wesley Matthews go this summer. Deron was not pleased by either of those things, and he was right when he said it weakened us, especially obvious now that we completely suck at the Shooting Guard position. So I blame O'Connor for starting this avalanche that chased away Jerry Sloan and now has forced us to move D-Will.

SLC Projects
Feb 23, 2011, 8:02 PM
This isn't an indication that nobody wants to play here. Deron Williams is not happy about this trade. What this does indicate is that players need to be careful what they say. Deron said over and over again that if the Jazz didn't compete for a title, he was gone in 2012. With the recent tail-spin of the Jazz, they figured it's better to get something for him now than nothing for him later. If Deron didn't want to go, he should have been more careful what he said.
Still, this is sad and frustrating. It all starts with Kevin O'Conner trading Brewer a season ago, and letting Wesley Matthews go this summer. Deron was not pleased by either of those things, and he was right when he said it weakened us, especially obvious now that we completely suck at the Shooting Guard position. So I blame O'Connor for starting this avalanche that chased away Jerry Sloan and now has forced us to move D-Will.

Agreed. Kevin O'Conner has strike out more times then I can count. Here are the latest for this past year alone.

Strike one: Trading Brewer
Strike Two: letting Wesley Matthews go
Strike Three: Firing Jerry Sloan ( Even though they will never admit that. )
Strike Four: Today with D-Will leaving.

This Jazz team has gone into a tail spin and I'm starting to feel that if things get any worst this team will go up for sale. Relocation could be imminent. I'm sure if the NBA and Stern had their way they would love to see the Jazz move to Vegas. I think the NBA desperately wants to get into Las Vegas market and what better way to have a declining small market team like the Jazz that's only 400 miles away from Vegas. I hope that never happens, but after today who knows how many fans they lost. Less fans = less money.

Makid
Feb 23, 2011, 8:17 PM
I'm sure if the NBA and Stern had their way they would love to see the Jazz move to Vegas. I think the NBA desperately wants to get into Las Vegas market and what better way to have a declining small market team like the Jazz that's only 400 miles away from Vegas. I hope that never happens, but after today who knows how many fans they lost. Less fans = less money.

I don't think we have to worry about the Jazz moving. They make a lot of money. The only team currently that is not making money and is on life support is New Orleans. After that, it is Charlotte.

There are many teams that aren't happy with their current financial state. Sacramento is a team that has tossed around moving for a year or so in an effort to get a new arena.

With all the teams with financial issues, attendance issues and arena issues. The Jazz are doing just fine and it would be hard to justify moving or selling the team with other teams in what some would consider dire straits.

scottharding
Feb 23, 2011, 8:31 PM
Hate to say so, Makid, but that's not true. The primary reason there will likely be a lock out this next year over the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is the fact so many teams are losing money, especially the small-market teams. Best example: This year, the San Antonio Spurs will lose money. They have the best record in the league this year. They have championships. They have no trouble selling tickets. But they're small market. And this season, they'll be in the red.
I hope the Jazz don't move either, and normally, I have doubted that as a real possibility, but who would have thought even a month ago that Sloan would not be coaching and Deron Williams would be in New Jersey? The wheels have fallen off the wagon, and it's because Kevin O'Connor keeps trying to fill one hole by digging another. What a disaster! I want O'Connor's head on a plate...

wrendog
Feb 23, 2011, 11:52 PM
I was pretty upset this morning at the news of the trade. After the day of research, I think this was the right move. Deron was not going to be here after next year. I do NOT want to have a lebron scenario (where we get nothing) or a carmelo scenario (circus fest). Getting 3 most likely lottery picks (I'm counting Derrick Favors as one), including one THIS YEAR (most likely top 7 pick) is a great coup. Would I have liked DWill long term? Absolutely, but since that wasn't going to happen, this is not a bad deal.

scottharding
Feb 24, 2011, 12:18 AM
I see where you (and the Jazz office) is coming from, but I just don't agree. You've already got a franchise corner stone in D-will, and the Jefferson/Williams combo is working after only a few months. Jefferson's scoring average had risen every month he's played here. And you've still got a full season on Williams contract before he can opt out. What do you do if you're management? You get crazy adding talent around them! Okur is done, AK is made of glass, Price is useless. You've got your marquee players so you get role players! Ship off AK, and Okur (two expiring contracts), Price, Elson, Evans, whoever you can make a package with to get the proper support system. You get a good sharp shooter on this squad (before they shipped Williams) and reliable PF off the bench and you've got a contender. Then Williams resigns with the team. Instead, Jazz have been set back at least three years. By the time we use these draft picks and develop Favors, Millsap and Jefferson are past their prime.

wrendog
Feb 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
I see where you (and the Jazz office) is coming from, but I just don't agree. You've already got a franchise corner stone in D-will, and the Jefferson/Williams combo is working after only a few months. Jefferson's scoring average had risen every month he's played here. And you've still got a full season on Williams contract before he can opt out. What do you do if you're management? You get crazy adding talent around them! Okur is done, AK is made of glass, Price is useless. You've got your marquee players so you get role players! Ship off AK, and Okur (two expiring contracts), Price, Elson, Evans, whoever you can make a package with to get the proper support system. You get a good sharp shooter on this squad (before they shipped Williams) and reliable PF off the bench and you've got a contender. Then Williams resigns with the team. Instead, Jazz have been set back at least three years. By the time we use these draft picks and develop Favors, Millsap and Jefferson are past their prime.

I think that is waaaay too optimistic. I like Jefferson, but I don't see him being the superstar you want. Plus, even if he is getting better (and I agree), the team has been absolute garbage in it's last 17. DWill was not happy. He wasn't going to resign. The Jazz did what they had to do. They are now back to rebuilding (but like I said, with how crappy they have been playing, they were basically rebuilding anyway). With a serviceable (and former all star) point guard in Harris and 3 lottery picks, things will pick up in a couple years.

Boisekid
Feb 24, 2011, 1:26 AM
WORST DAY OF MY LIFE!!! Kevin O'Connor has got to go. We went from at least being respectable to a complete dumpster fire. We had a nice combo of Williams-Boozer led by HOFer Jerry Sloan to who the hell knows what. Not a good month for us Jazz fans. I am absolutely dumbfounded. I don't know what is going on with that organization. I didn't think running off a Hall of Fame Coach, the World's best PG, a top-5 Power Forward as well as a plethora of effective role players was part of their master plan, but who knows. Another BIG trade better be around the corner...(involving Kirilenko hopefully)

SLC4L
Feb 24, 2011, 7:51 AM
The worst part was that my brother woke me up to tell me the news and I really wanted to sleep in.

scottharding
Feb 24, 2011, 8:59 PM
I didn't say Jefferson was going to be a super-star. I don't think he ever will. But he is a reliable 20/10 guy, and a shot-blocker. Deron Williams is a superstar, and so AJ is a great piece to have with him. But now what? Now there's no superstar to build around.
And speaking of being too optimistic, thinking that much is going to come of three draft picks may be wishful thinking. Very few draft picks amount to more than role players and journeymen. Some drafts produce no stars or leaders at all. And after the top three picks, it's a crap-shoot from there to the end of the second round. The Jazz struck gold with D-will in the draft. To me, this is like winning the lottery and then giving the money back for the chance to play again.
Anyone who has read this thread will know that I'm no fair weather fan. I stick with my team through the low points. SLC Projects can vouch for me there as we've often debated the Jazz here. But with this asinine move, they're gonna have to win my support back. I can handle my team getting beat. I can't handle my team getting dismantled by chicken-shit management.

Oh, and if anyone is forming a mob to tar and feather Greg Miller and Kevin O'Connor, let me know. I'll just get my pitchfork.

xseven
Feb 25, 2011, 9:13 AM
Agreed. Kevin O'Conner has strike out more times then I can count.

I may be in the minority opinion here, however I think what Kevin O'Conner did for the Jazz franchise and fan base with D-Will was a good (not great) move.

Regarding your list of KOC F-ups this season:

Strike one: Trading Brewer

You and I agree. This was the first domino to fall within the Jazz management and players to what it is now.

Strike Two: letting Wesley Matthews go

I'm going to disagree with this strike. Wesley Matthews is not worth a front-loaded $34 Million contract over five years. Portland very well knew of Utah's financial contracts with AK-47 and Memo and sniffed the opportunity to pounce. Paul Milsap deserves those dollars, not Wes Matthews.

Strike Three: Firing Jerry Sloan ( Even though they will never admit that. )

This strike I will agree with you. Hindsight is always 20/20, but reading reports that Sloan wanted Jazz management to 'discipline' D-Will for his audibles on time-out calls and now seeing Deron Williams going to the Nets in a blockbuster trade makes perfect sense.

Kevin O'Conner can't 'discipline' a two-time NBA all star that he's shopping around to the league.
Strike Four: Today with D-Will leaving.

Good riddance. He was a sourpuss and a cancer in the locker room, and that's never good for any NBA franchise.

I will give D-Will credit: He always competed 110% every game, but his body language and past statements to the media (i.e. "That's why I signed a three-year deal," (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700010615/Utah-Jazz-Deron-Williams-sad-to-say-goodbye.html)) created a bitterness to the fan base and the organization.

This Jazz team has gone into a tail spin and I'm starting to feel that if things get any worst this team will go up for sale. Relocation could be imminent.

That was my fear ten days ago, as seen below:

My biggest fear is that the Utah Jazz will slip into NBA irrelevance in the Western Conference (i.e. Minnesota Timberwolves, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings) and ultimately become a non-contender financial business that the Miller family will sell in the next five years.

Deron Williams will jump a sinking ship the first opportunity he gets (next year). The team will be sold and moved. Energy Solutions Arena (in the top third of aging NBA venues) will be demolished and turned into a "glorified Jordan Commons."

I don't want any of this to happen. I attended the 1997 NBA Finals Game 3 at the Delta Center. But if the city of Seattle couldn't save their SuperSonics (and they even had an NBA Championship trophy), then I sadly see the Jazz not playing in SLC beyond a decade from now. I know that the SuperSonics dispute came over tax dollars for a new venue, very different from the Miller's owning ESA, but the outcome is equally bleak.

I really hope I'm wrong on this forecast.

What Kevin O'Conner has done, to his credit, is given the Jazz franchise and its fans a life-preserver in open waters heading into the CBA negotiations.

The Jazz have a future lottery draft pick with the Nets this year, one time All-Star Devin Harris (2004 Class, pick #5), Derrick Favors (2010 Class, pick #3), and another first round draft pick from Golden State. If Ty Corbin can tie this future all together, I can rest easy being a Jazz fan.

I guess we'll see what that future holds.

SLC4L
Nov 20, 2011, 8:25 AM
:dancinglock

scottharding
Nov 20, 2011, 5:35 PM
This whole lock-out scenario has become a complete charade. All we know for certain is that neither the owners nor the players give a shit in anyway about the fans or the people who make a living in the NBA's day-to-day operations.

s.p.hansen
Nov 20, 2011, 5:44 PM
This whole lock-out scenario has become a complete charade. All we know for certain is that neither the owners nor the players give a shit in anyway about the fans or the people who make a living in the NBA's day-to-day operations.

Either way, Denver and Salt Lake City should be rooting for the owners because it's the only way our States are ever going to be able to compete. The owners are representing the smaller NBA teams.

scottharding
Nov 20, 2011, 10:48 PM
I agree, S.P. Hansen. The system needs fixing. However, the lockout has become such a battle of ego that it's gone past that. The owners had it. The players gave up a lot, and just before the negotiations broke down, the deal that should have happened was in place. The players had relinquished over 5% of the BRI (basketball related income) which amounts to 280 million dollars a year (the league says they lost 300 million last year). That's a lot of money from the players. The owners had also gotten almost exactly what they wanted on the system issues. They had a much stronger luxury tax that would have really penalized teams that won't over, worse and worse for each year they went over, and all that money would be going to non-tax paying teams. They had the chance to get out of bad contracts like Gilbert Arenas in Orlando, they had shorter guaranteed contracts on free agents and veterans. And the league had drawn up a new revenue sharing plan that would give small market teams access to percentages of the huge media deals teams like LA and NY get.
The players weren't happy with the system issues, but would have signed the deal had the owners allowed them 51-52% of the BRI.
But the owners are pissed. And they want to break the players completely. Because as I said, they don't care about the game. And we can thank the likes of Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony (among many others) for the owners anger. They're not letting the players dictate the terms of the league.

SLC Projects
Nov 21, 2011, 8:16 PM
Utah Jazz for sale? Report raises the possibility
By KSL.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- If the labor dispute in the NBA doesn't end in a way that benefits the Utah Jazz, would the Miller family sell? A new report raises that possibility.

The Deseret News cites a source as saying, "If I was a betting man, my guess is that the Millers will sell the team within the next five years ... unless this CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) changes the formula so that the team can make some money."

The source is identified only as "one source with intimate knowledge of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies' inner workings." That person told the paper the Jazz are expected to report losses in the $17 million range for the past season. The source also said the team has lost money almost every year since moving to Utah from New Orleans in 1979.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=18176457&title=utah-jazz-for-sale-report-raises-the-possibility

Well that would just suck for us if the team goes for sell. If you lose the Jazz then what else do you have here in Utah other then Real Salt Lake who most people don't even call them a Pro-team. Without the Jazz Salt Lake will be like Boise. :(

scottharding
Nov 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
This may sound dramatic, but I'm being dead serious. If the Jazz moved, I would consider leaving Salt Lake City on that fact alone.
I'm that much of an NBA fan. I must live in an NBA city. This lockout is the ultimate in bull-shit.

Cottonwood
Nov 21, 2011, 10:14 PM
Utah Jazz for sale? Report raises the possibility
By KSL.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- If the labor dispute in the NBA doesn't end in a way that benefits the Utah Jazz, would the Miller family sell? A new report raises that possibility.

The Deseret News cites a source as saying, "If I was a betting man, my guess is that the Millers will sell the team within the next five years ... unless this CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) changes the formula so that the team can make some money."

The source is identified only as "one source with intimate knowledge of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies' inner workings." That person told the paper the Jazz are expected to report losses in the $17 million range for the past season. The source also said the team has lost money almost every year since moving to Utah from New Orleans in 1979.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=18176457&title=utah-jazz-for-sale-report-raises-the-possibility

Well that would just suck for us if the team goes for sell. If you lose the Jazz then what else do you have here in Utah other then Real Salt Lake who most people don't even call them a Pro-team. Without the Jazz Salt Lake will be like Boise. :(

Sounds like a positive event for SLC if your city indeed becomes like Boise:tup: I have a few friends from Sugar House visiting Boise and staying at my place this week and they wish Salt Lake was more like Boise. :) Cheer up, there's more to life than sporting events. :haha:

Hawk
Nov 21, 2011, 10:35 PM
it'd be kind of cool if the Utah jazz was sold and moved to Boise lol. the problem with that is i don't think Boise has a large enough population to support an NBA team let alone an NFL TEAM. and lastly it would soooooooooo piss off people in SLC.

FrancoRey
Nov 21, 2011, 11:28 PM
If I had to guess potential markets for the Jazz, they could move to the following cities:

1) Las Vegas
2) Kansas City/St. Louis
3) Seattle (ha)
4) San Diego
5) Cincinnati/Columbus
6) Pittsburgh

Of those cities, I only think the first two are viable. The others are simply larger metropolises that have other pro teams, but no NBA team.

Best case scenario: No move and the article is crap.
Worst case scenario with the best outcome: The Jazz move down I-15 to Vegas and the team is within a few hours drive. Hey, better than the Seattle Jazz or the San Diego Jazz, or even the Omaha Jazz or the El Paso Jazz...:haha:

scottharding
Nov 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
Wow, look at the enthusiasm over the Jazz moving!
Did anyone read the article?
It was journalism for the sake of journalism. Completely baseless. The Jazz aren't going anywhere. They have the 4th best debt/value ratio in the NBA, are one of the most successful franchises of the last 20 years, and are not putting financial strain on the Miller family.
And once this labor dispute is resolved (however long that takes), the small market teams will be in much better positions. Even just the revenue sharing program that the league will instate will improve the finances of the teams that haven't spent like 6 year olds in a candy shop... (ahem, Orlando)

Reachforthesky
Nov 22, 2011, 12:27 AM
So true!! there is no backing in this story! The Jazz are Going nowhere!Everyone Is just frustrated with the lockout and KSL is just looking for a story.:koko: Just watch their story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=18176457&title=utah-jazz-for-sale-report-raises-the-possibility
Such a bad joke. There is no fact to this story at all! KSL Is just stirring the pot! Plus Im sure Dave Checketts would purchase the team and keep it in SLC if anything ever really happened.

Reachforthesky
Nov 22, 2011, 12:37 AM
Here's a direct quote from Greg Miller himself via twitter:

"Speculation of the Jazz being sold is unfortunate & irresponsible. Thanks to unprecedented fan & sponsor support the Jazz is solid as ever."

http://twitter.com/#!/greginutah

SLC Projects
Nov 22, 2011, 1:54 AM
Sounds like a positive event for SLC if your city indeed becomes like Boise:tup: I have a few friends from Sugar House visiting Boise and staying at my place this week and they wish Salt Lake was more like Boise. :) Cheer up, there's more to life than sporting events. :haha:

Boise is a nice little city. I was just saying that without the Jazz we would have no pro teams just like Boise. :) I too wish downtown SLC could be more like downtown Boise with all the street life, but you're right there is more to life then sports. :yes:

I really hope we don't lose the Jazz. Sure they let me down alot, but SLC wouldn't be the same without them and I think if we sell the team and they move it would be a big step backwards for us as a state and a city. :(

scottharding
Nov 22, 2011, 4:06 AM
Typical of the Des News and KSL. They're the doom's day prophets of journalism.

xseven
Nov 22, 2011, 5:43 AM
Typical of the Des News and KSL. They're the doom's day prophets of journalism.

Exactly. They will do anything for a story that generates web traffic.

The Jazz aren't going anywhere.

xseven
Nov 22, 2011, 5:49 AM
Here's a direct quote from Greg Miller himself via twitter:

"Speculation of the Jazz being sold is unfortunate & irresponsible. Thanks to unprecedented fan & sponsor support the Jazz is solid as ever."

http://twitter.com/#!/greginutah

That quote makes me wonder if the Miller family was gauging public reaction at the thought of selling the team.

In other words, no public outcry = sell the team.

It wouldn't be very difficult for any team owner to create a "source" to stir the pot and see what comes of it.

scottharding
Nov 22, 2011, 6:01 PM
I highly doubt it. We live in the Twitter age. Hysteria is created in an instant, and can be dispelled in an instant. This isn't the first time the local media has created a storm about the Jazz, and Greg Miller immediately nipped it in the bud. When Sloan resigned, Miller immediately jumped on line to dispel rumors.

s.p.hansen
Nov 22, 2011, 7:41 PM
For those of you who like reading:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52732782-78/miller-jazz-lhm-larry.html.csp

This is an article about the Miller Empire; it came out in the Tribune on October 22, 2011. The empire is making tons of money. The only venture they are losing money on is the speedway. It was in this article that the Millers affirmed nothing bad was happening to the Jazz. So the twitter post was not a revelation to anyone who religiously reads the news (me).

The whole article goes into detail about how the Jazz is uniquely positioned to weather this labor dispute storm because it's so insulated in all the other Miller businesses. If you are both concerned and too lazy to read this article, it says, in essence, that the Jazz is totally profitable and protected.

TonyAnderson
Nov 23, 2011, 3:17 PM
Are the Jazz any good this year?

tygr
Nov 23, 2011, 4:47 PM
Are the Jazz any good this year?

They're in a 30-way tie for first place. But unfortunately, also a 30-way tie for last place.

scottharding
Nov 26, 2011, 10:42 PM
Looks like the season opens on Christmas day.

airhero
Jan 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
I wish Minnesota would play just a little bit better. It would be awesome if all 5 teams from the Northwest Division made the playoffs this year. The wolves are 4-8, but they have more points for them than against them, so they're not as bad as their record seems to show, and Ricky Rubio is awesome. I may be bringing this up too soon ('cause who knows if the Jazz, Blazers, and Nuggets will keep winning?), but it's just a thought. I'm all about exceeding expectations. The Jazz were ranked 28th after the first week and now we're 8-4.

scottharding
Jan 17, 2012, 3:03 AM
Yeah, the Northwest is going to be interesting over the next few years. All the teams are young and they're all looking pretty good. I think it's clear that it will be the most competitive division for the foreseeable future.

SLC4L
Jan 18, 2012, 6:51 AM
I like to be the guy who brings this thread back from the dead, because...

Jazz are 2nd in the west (as of this post). :banana: