PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver and NBA: Bitter divorce to better bedfellows

SpongeG
Oct 23, 2009, 9:01 PM
Vancouver and NBA: Bitter divorce to better bedfellows

Matthew Sekeres

With GM Place sold out for an NBA game involving Steve Nash, it was easy to look back and consider what might have been had Vancouver’s short-lived Grizzlies somehow acquired the hometown hero.

Nash, now 35 and playing perhaps his final NBA game in B.C., would have made all the difference had the Grizzlies, circa 1995-2001, acquired the scrawny kid from Victoria who became a two-time league MVP.

But last night, eight years after their bitter divorce, Vancouver and the NBA made better bedfellows, with more than 18,000 tickets sold – during a recession and hockey season – for a preseason game between Nash’s Phoenix Suns and the Portland Trail Blazers. The scene begged a more pertinent ‘what if’ question surrounding the city and professional basketball, bigger than the now-moot queries about landing Nash.

What if you could push the re-start button and launch an NBA franchise in Vancouver today?

The business case begins with the loonie.

Now near par, it was roughly 70 cents (all currencies U.S.) when the Grizzlies were established as a bookend to the Toronto Raptors, one half of NBA commissioner David Stern’s great northern expansion. But by 1998, the Canadian buck had dropped to a low of 63 cents. While Canadian-based professional sports franchises take in Canadian revenue, they pay their players in U.S. dollars, making them vulnerable to currency fluctuations. Fifteen years ago, they couldn’t see par loonies with telescopes, so the idea of competing with an equal dollar – let alone buying greenbacks in bulk, on the cheap, and saving them for rainy days, as teams are doing right now – was inconceivable.

The currency issue has been mitigated, but the other development since the Grizzlies left Vancouver and moved to Memphis – “the worst all-time trade in sports history,” according to a former NBA executive – has been the internationalization of the sport.

Pouty Americans unhappy to play here – see Francis, Steve – are no longer required given the explosion of quality international players. To the east, Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo has constructed a roster with five Europeans, representing four countries.

This past summer, plum free agent Hedo Turkoglu chose to sign in Toronto rather than Portland in part because his family was drawn to the city’s Turkish community, a multicultural advantage that major Canadian markets have over one-horse NBA towns, of which there are plenty. Two internationals – Nash and Germany’s Dirk Nowitzki – have won MVP honours this decade, while the San Antonio Spurs have won several championships with a backcourt of France’s Tony Parker and Argentina’s Manu Ginobili.

Stern has long known that his sport will never be bigger than football in the United States, and never compete with hockey in Canada. But by being the second-most popular sport in every nation, basketball could rival soccer on a global stage.

Perhaps that’s why the commissioner has cited Vancouver as his biggest regret, because to date, neighbourly Canada hasn’t subscribed to the master plan.

The Raptors are entering their 15th season, but their fan base is still concentrated in Southern Ontario. Unlike baseball’s Blue Jays and Expos, who were able to nationalize their brands, the Raptors have a limited following outside the GTA, and television numbers paint basketball as an off-the-podium sport, miles behind hockey but also significantly trailing football and baseball for Canadians’ eyeballs.

There is good reason for Stern to want to return to these parts, if not to Vancouver then to Seattle, where the league suffered another clumsy relocation. The SuperSonics bolted for Oklahoma City following the 2007-08 season, and the NBA was left without a gateway market to China in the Pacific Northwest, an area of the continent with large Asian communities.

China is becoming more important to the business of basketball, particularly since the arrival of Houston Rockets centre Yao Ming, who entered the league a year after the Grizzlies left. More than one billion Chinese consider Yao a national hero, but at the Olympics in Beijing last year, U.S. superstars were received like The Beatles, and it was clear that the Middle Kingdom’s interest in basketball extends far beyond its famous countryman.

Stern has said that the NBA can never come back here, that it blew its opportunity, and that it should have waited to expand to Vancouver. Back then, the league’s ambition was miscalculated.

Just as the commissioner’s defeatism is today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/vancouver-and-nba-bitter-divorce-to-better-bedfellows/article1335128/

Vancity
Oct 23, 2009, 10:37 PM
Maybe the NBA will never return to Vancouver under Stern's watch, but the man's gotta go sometime. He's not done very much the last few years, except see franchises leave their cities, or struggling cities.

Vancouver is able to support an NBA team (if given the chance, that team IMRPOVES, and is at the very least entertaining - the Grizzlies were neither good or entertaining), and I think one of very few people who think that the NBA will return to Vancouver, in about 10 years time.

The Aquilini's should really considering taking in an expansion franchise (or relocation) and bringing them into the Canucks Sports Entertainment fold, just like the MLSE does it (Raptors, Leafs, Jays).

Is it possible? Yep. Will it happen? I hope so!

Having a sports scene here in Vancouver that includes the NHL, the MLS, the CFL, AND the NBA? Bring it! That'd bring and cultivate such a diversity in the sports culture here in the city. That'll bring nothing but good things to the city and the communities.

mr.x
Oct 23, 2009, 10:47 PM
lol, in 10 years time we'll probably start thinking about building another new arena.

gillty
Oct 25, 2009, 2:21 AM
i hadn't realized that there was an nba exhibition game at gm place on thursday

its nice to see the old grizzlies court in gm place :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3527/4038246910_d91d2c3d96_b.jpg
source: victorliu on flickr

hollywoodnorth
Oct 25, 2009, 4:27 AM
Maybe the NBA will never return to Vancouver under Stern's watch, but the man's gotta go sometime. He's not done very much the last few years, except see franchises leave their cities, or struggling cities.

Vancouver is able to support an NBA team (if given the chance, that team IMRPOVES, and is at the very least entertaining - the Grizzlies were neither good or entertaining), and I think one of very few people who think that the NBA will return to Vancouver, in about 10 years time.

The Aquilini's should really considering taking in an expansion franchise (or relocation) and bringing them into the Canucks Sports Entertainment fold, just like the MLSE does it (Raptors, Leafs, Jays).

Is it possible? Yep. Will it happen? I hope so!

Having a sports scene here in Vancouver that includes the NHL, the MLS, the CFL, AND the NBA? Bring it! That'd bring and cultivate such a diversity in the sports culture here in the city. That'll bring nothing but good things to the city and the communities.

interesting thoughts. I hope Aquilini has that desire to create a Vancouver style MLSE........but sadly I doubt it :(

Vancity
Oct 25, 2009, 9:03 AM
interesting thoughts. I hope Aquilini has that desire to create a Vancouver style MLSE........but sadly I doubt it :(

Why do you think so?

Vancity
Oct 25, 2009, 9:05 AM
lol, in 10 years time we'll probably start thinking about building another new arena.

You really think the city is going to build another arena? I don't know about that. I still think GM Place will be a nice facility in 10 years time. Obviously, I hope the NBA returns in a shorter period of time, but if not, then I'd say give or take approximately 10 years, before the NBA comes back to town. I certainly hope so.

Vancity
Oct 25, 2009, 9:06 AM
i hadn't realized that there was an nba exhibition game at gm place on thursday

its nice to see the old grizzlies court in gm place :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3527/4038246910_d91d2c3d96_b.jpg
source: victorliu on flickr

Yeah, it IS nice to have NBA basketball game. Even if it was for one night. Wish this could be a regular occurence. Sadly, that won't happen for a few years.

duener
Oct 25, 2009, 10:15 AM
The NHL, NBA, etc. should all be reworked along the lines of the European leagues. It's a bit ridiculous how they decide which cities should have teams or not.

Instead, the European model allows anyone in any city to create a team. That team starts at the bottom of several leagues. If they're good they work their way up to the top or "Premier" league. If they're in the top league but suck they drop down a league. It would solve all this nonsense about moving teams from one city to another.

junius
Oct 25, 2009, 2:28 PM
It was such a farce. The last two seasons they basically destroyed the franchise so they could justify moving it. Michael Heisley forever earned his reputation as a lying sleezebag. The NBA's top brass was not much better for going along with the charade. No one was fooled.

One thing not discussed was the potential in Vancouver is Yao Ming had been drawn here. China is also producing other players as well. Vancouver would be a great way to increase the NBAs reach into Asia.

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. Shame on the NBA for being such "USA Mypopic" fools.

EastVanMark
Oct 26, 2009, 8:02 AM

Don't be so sure about that. They already have real-estate tied to the arena and they already went after an MLS bid and are rumored to possibly be in the running to buy the BC Lions and be involved in the operation and/or development of BC Place.

EastVanMark
Oct 26, 2009, 8:08 AM
A golden opportunity for Vancouver to get an NBA team back will be when Seattle finally figures out who will step forward and build a new arena for the city which could possibly see both an NBA and NHL team play out of the emerald city. And since pro leagues usually expand in even pairs, Vancouver would be best in a great position to take advantage of that unique circumstance.

hollywoodnorth
Oct 26, 2009, 8:18 AM
Don't be so sure about that. They already have real-estate tied to the arena and they already went after an MLS bid and are rumored to possibly be in the running to buy the BC Lions and be involved in the operation and/or development of BC Place.

that would be awesome :) and yes expansion does take place in pairs usually. Would be awesome to see a team in Seattle and Vancouver again at the same time.

Vancity
Oct 26, 2009, 9:16 AM
A golden opportunity for Vancouver to get an NBA team back will be when Seattle finally figures out who will step forward and build a new arena for the city which could possibly see both an NBA and NHL team play out of the emerald city. And since pro leagues usually expand in even pairs, Vancouver would be best in a great position to take advantage of that unique circumstance.

You know what boggles my mind to this very day? Is that the NBA somehow justified moving a 40 year old franchise with deep roots, to New Orleans. Jeez. I mean, I miss the NBA in Vancouver, but those guys up there (ie Stern) are some crazy wackjobs, 'cause their decision making over the last couple of years have been horrible (esp. with franchise relocations).

I hope the NBA returns to Vancouver soon too, and I'm hopeful. It only makes sense to come back to Vancouver. Just look at the response when the Suns and Blazers came to town - I didn't get to go - but had friends who did. The stadium looked like it was packed. A full house that night. Awesome atmosphere, and event. Vancouver could use another professional franchise too. Why not the NBA? While I'm a self-professed hockey fan first, I also very much enjoy watching an NBA game.

Vancity
Oct 26, 2009, 9:19 AM

I hope the Aquilini's do have a plan of building something similar to the MLSE in Toronto. That would be awesome. To have the Lions, Canucks, possibly a future NBA team owned by one company would be great to see. By the way, I didn't know that David Braley was selling the Lions?

EastVanMark
Oct 26, 2009, 8:06 PM
You know what boggles my mind to this very day? Is that the NBA somehow justified moving a 40 year old franchise with deep roots, to New Orleans.

New Orleans? I don't know what team you meant, but the team that moved to New Orleans was the Charlotte Hornets but have only been around since the late 80's.:shrug:

If you were talking about the Seattle Sonics, they moved to Oklahoma City.

EastVanMark
Oct 26, 2009, 8:10 PM
I hope the Aquilini's do have a plan of building something similar to the MLSE in Toronto. That would be awesome. To have the Lions, Canucks, possibly a future NBA team owned by one company would be great to see. By the way, I didn't know that David Braley was selling the Lions?

He's not (officially). He will probably wait until the new roof is complete and the Lions host another Grey Cup to bolster the asking price. But he has been open to possibly selling or taking on local investors. A lot will hinge on the ownership situation in Toronto as he might be more inclined to own a team closer to his home.

mrjauk
Oct 26, 2009, 9:00 PM
There's never been any indication that the Aquilinis are serious about wanting to own another pro sports franchise. It's all been rumour and innuendo--and not much of the later.

As for the Grizzlies moving back to Vancouver, I really doubt it. Seattle, for various reasons, would be higher on the order of priorities, although Seattle does lack one thing that Vancouver has--an appropriate venue.

The Grizzlies should never have left and were shackled by having the worst ever general manager in North American professional sports--Stu Jackson--at the helm. And as far as I'm concerned Michael Heisley can burn in hell.:hell:

mezzanine
Oct 26, 2009, 9:43 PM
No love lost here. the first time around was a disaster - our new draft big country turned out to have a bad hip, stu 'inaction' jackson and steve francis. then michael helmsley moving the team.

and i agree, more shockingly, this happened to seattle, a much larger city with a larger season ticket base, with more deep pockets, to a team with a very deep history.

If the NBA did this to a place to seattle, to move the team to OK city, then i would worry about vancouver's chances with a new team. :shrug:

junius
Oct 26, 2009, 10:21 PM
No love lost here. the first time around was a disaster - our new draft big country turned out to have a bad hip, stu 'inaction' jackson and steve francis. then michael helmsley moving the team.

and i agree, more shockingly, this happened to seattle, a much larger city with a larger season ticket base, with more deep pockets, to a team with a very deep history.

If the NBA did this to a place to seattle, to move the team to OK city, then i would worry about vancouver's chances with a new team. :shrug:

I had tickets to the Grizzlies but completely lost interest in the NBA afterwards. I was very bitter. Now I am just indifferent and uninterested.

I am going to get seasons tickets to the Whitecaps instead.

Vancity
Oct 26, 2009, 11:52 PM
New Orleans? I don't know what team you meant, but the team that moved to New Orleans was the Charlotte Hornets but have only been around since the late 80's.:shrug:

If you were talking about the Seattle Sonics, they moved to Oklahoma City.

LOL.

My bad. I meant the Oklahoma team :P

Hot Rod
Feb 16, 2010, 11:52 AM

Is Seattle really much larger?

The reason the Sonics failed was mostly because Seattle's sports market was saturated. It isn't that big. And Seattleites are fair weathered. There has always been a black horse team as long as it had 3, first it was the Seahawks in the 80's, then the Mariners in the 90's, then the Sonics in the 2000's.

Having big pocket residents in suburbs has nothing to do with it, working class people make up the bulk of a sports team's revenue and attendance - and with Seattle having two other competitors; the writing was on the wall (not to mention KeyArena could NEVER capture the prices necessary to lighten the pockets of the stock wealthy Eastsiders). Even Seattle's junior hockey team plays in the suburbs (Kent) in a virtually empty arena (yet they think they should get the NHL???).

I think Vancouver is in an excellent position to get an NBA team. Like was said earlier, Vancouver has an already top 10 NBA arena (that can be easily reconfigured if needed). If ownership in Vancouver does combine to have all sports under one hat (NHL, CFL, MLS) - and they scrape together the $30M needed to move a team (and the bargain basement price to buy a team, say $150M); Vancouver could EASILY get a new team next year.

It would be more than appropriate, if the Aquilini's were to purchase the Grizzlies and move them BACK to Vancouver where they belong. The Aquilini's could then focus the Vancouver Grizzlies being the NBA's China/Japan/Korea market city. The team in Vancouver would be immediately more successful than it has ever been in Memphis, it just really isn't a major league city.

Oklahoma City on the other hand has proven that you don't need to have a huge media market to be successful. OKC also successfully hosted the New Orleans Hornets for two seasons (and actually that owner wanted to stay, but was "forced" to return). Arenas are only 18,000 seats or so with 50 or so luxury suites; I think most metros above 1M can handle that especially if it is the only major sport and doesn't compete with the colleges. This and having the Ford Center is why OKC is a success.

OKC isn't even the smallest market in the NBA; New Orleans, MEMPHIS, and Salt Lake are smaller.

Vancouver is much bigger and if we get good ownership, a Sam Presti like GM finding talent from China/Japan/Korea, and perhaps a rather small refurbishment of GM Place (adding in some luxury suites) - the NBA could return immediately. The success of the Olympics certainly helps and definitely add's to Vancouver's worldwide marketability.....

The NBA needs two (at least) franchises in Canada, especially given Vancouver's position as the primary Pacific Rim gateway. If/when an NBA team does return to Vancouver under proper CANADIAN ownership, we could give a d-league team to Seattle (hahaha). :haha: (but maybe Calgary would be more appreciative). ...

Then again, I don't think most Seattleites care about the NBA anymore. It is a two sport town.

Vancity
Feb 27, 2010, 10:17 AM
Is Seattle really much larger?

The reason the Sonics failed was mostly because Seattle's sports market was saturated. It isn't that big. And Seattleites are fair weathered. There has always been a black horse team as long as it had 3, first it was the Seahawks in the 80's, then the Mariners in the 90's, then the Sonics in the 2000's.

Having big pocket residents in suburbs has nothing to do with it, working class people make up the bulk of a sports team's revenue and attendance - and with Seattle having two other competitors; the writing was on the wall (not to mention KeyArena could NEVER capture the prices necessary to lighten the pockets of the stock wealthy Eastsiders). Even Seattle's junior hockey team plays in the suburbs (Kent) in a virtually empty arena (yet they think they should get the NHL???).

I think Vancouver is in an excellent position to get an NBA team. Like was said earlier, Vancouver has an already top 10 NBA arena (that can be easily reconfigured if needed). If ownership in Vancouver does combine to have all sports under one hat (NHL, CFL, MLS) - and they scrape together the $30M needed to move a team (and the bargain basement price to buy a team, say $150M); Vancouver could EASILY get a new team next year.

It would be more than appropriate, if the Aquilini's were to purchase the Grizzlies and move them BACK to Vancouver where they belong. The Aquilini's could then focus the Vancouver Grizzlies being the NBA's China/Japan/Korea market city. The team in Vancouver would be immediately more successful than it has ever been in Memphis, it just really isn't a major league city.

Oklahoma City on the other hand has proven that you don't need to have a huge media market to be successful. OKC also successfully hosted the New Orleans Hornets for two seasons (and actually that owner wanted to stay, but was "forced" to return). Arenas are only 18,000 seats or so with 50 or so luxury suites; I think most metros above 1M can handle that especially if it is the only major sport and doesn't compete with the colleges. This and having the Ford Center is why OKC is a success.

OKC isn't even the smallest market in the NBA; New Orleans, MEMPHIS, and Salt Lake are smaller.

Vancouver is much bigger and if we get good ownership, a Sam Presti like GM finding talent from China/Japan/Korea, and perhaps a rather small refurbishment of GM Place (adding in some luxury suites) - the NBA could return immediately. The success of the Olympics certainly helps and definitely add's to Vancouver's worldwide marketability.....

The NBA needs two (at least) franchises in Canada, especially given Vancouver's position as the primary Pacific Rim gateway. If/when an NBA team does return to Vancouver under proper CANADIAN ownership, we could give a d-league team to Seattle (hahaha). :haha: (but maybe Calgary would be more appreciative). ...

Then again, I don't think most Seattleites care about the NBA anymore. It is a two sport town.

I appreciate your enthusiasm about the possibility that Vancouver could potentially get another NBA team. But next year? Sorry, but Vancouverites, generally don't move that fast ;) Seriously, though, it's not happening by 2011. Sorry to burst your bubble. I sincerely hope that an NBA team relocates to Vancouver. Not sure if David Stern would allow a team to come up here, and I think the exposure of the winter olympics is overrated. Just because we've held an olympics, and receive worldwide recognition, doesn't mean that the chances are higher that we get an NBA franchise. Stern isn't soo..willing.

I hope our awesome city does get an NBA team again in the future. I just can't see it happening any time soon. I hope I'm wrong, though.