PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Beer in Calgary Please

evolv
Oct 17, 2009, 4:49 PM
Article in the herald today about some guy petitioning molson to bring Calgary Beer in for the grey cup. I think it would be a cool idea.

Calalb
Oct 19, 2009, 7:45 AM
I say BRING BACK THE BUFF!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/cgyboomer/buff.jpg

The Chemist
Oct 19, 2009, 10:36 AM
Why not get Big Rock to do it? They are, after all, a Calgary company. :cheers:

jeffwhit
Oct 19, 2009, 1:45 PM
^Are Big Rock workers unionized? i would only entertain buying it if it was still "Union Made." You can buy it in Saskatoon.

freeweed
Oct 19, 2009, 2:01 PM
^Are Big Rock workers unionized? i would only entertain buying it if it was still "Union Made." You can buy it in Saskatoon.

Random off-topicness: why is this such a big thing with beer making? I see it on cans all the time but I can't say as I've ever noticed it on other products.

And why would the consumer care - beyond being pro-union in general?

octothorp
Oct 19, 2009, 4:18 PM
You need a poll option for "I have no idea what it tastes like because it's never been available in Calgary during my adult lifetime."

Big Sky
Oct 20, 2009, 6:12 PM

I would rather Big Rock made it, union or no union. Most of the places that are union make shit for beer.

Calgarian
Oct 20, 2009, 6:25 PM
Never tried it, what beer is it comparable too?

Calgarian
Oct 20, 2009, 6:26 PM
What does a union have to do with anything?

Ramsayfarian
Oct 20, 2009, 6:36 PM
I would rather Big Rock made it, union or no union. Most of the places that are union make shit for beer.

Fuck the union. I still remember those Union bastards ruining everyone's holidays with their summer strikes.

Look way up
Oct 20, 2009, 9:23 PM
What does a union have to do with anything?

Jeffwhit said he would only buy the Calgary Beer if it was "union made". He may have been kidding.

Blader
Oct 20, 2009, 10:11 PM
I used to drink it in the 60s - Saskatoon and Calgary - loved the label - tasted good to rank and file beer drinkers. In-house brewers did not exist in these locales at the time.

wild wild west
Oct 21, 2009, 6:03 PM
I'd rather see Big Rock or Wild Rose come up with a Calgary beer. I stay away from the Molson-Labatt-Sleeman products when possible, and most other products from their multinational owners. Unionized or not, they make crap beer.

kap384
Oct 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
It's still made. Molson brews it and only sells it in SK. Bought it a few times for the novelty. No bottles.

jeffwhit
Oct 23, 2009, 12:32 AM
Random off-topicness: why is this such a big thing with beer making? I see it on cans all the time but I can't say as I've ever noticed it on other products.

And why would the consumer care - beyond being pro-union in general?

Perhaps to appeal to a certain clientelle, I doubt unions were as stigmatized back then as they are now. My alternative answer is that the union involved in its production insisted on it during collective bargaining.

jeffwhit
Oct 23, 2009, 12:34 AM
Jeffwhit said he would only buy the Calgary Beer if it was "union made". He may have been kidding.
I was not kidding. It would take more than local pride to get me to drink that kind of beer.

DizzyEdge
Oct 23, 2009, 8:28 PM
I've had it, I think it's just ok, but it's rather stupid that Calgary beer isn't sold in Calgary

Ayreonaut
Oct 24, 2009, 1:17 AM
I've heard it's crap. I tend to believe that since I am very picky with my beer.

Blader
Oct 24, 2009, 1:30 AM
I've heard it's crap. I tend to believe that since I am very picky with my beer.

I eat everything from Kraft Dinner to foie gras. From enjoyable to great. It's no a hardship to be pedestrian at times. I drink Tims coffee with friends even though I have a great home setup.:)

wild wild west
Oct 30, 2009, 7:37 PM

I tried it years ago (in Saskatchewan), and didn't care for it. It's cool to have a beer named after your city, but I'd rather drink a beer that's actually MADE IN my city like Big Rock, than a product from a company like Molson that showed its commitment to our city by giving us the finger and closing its plant here.

Calalb
Nov 25, 2011, 9:16 AM
Bump!
According to Global@11 Calgary Beer will soon be available here again! It wasn't the best tasting beer but it's great to have the old logo back! :cheers:

stamps
Nov 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
I say BRING BACK THE BUFF!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/cgyboomer/buff.jpg

Buffaloes are what I wanted to name our NHL team in 1980, I wasn't old enough to drink at the time but I knew of the emblem from the Buffalo association (minor hockey).... it would have tied in nicely with our heritage... I think the horseshoe and Buffalo head would look great as a shoulder patch on the Flame jersey or maybe use it for a third jersey, copyright laws would probably prevent it though.....

freeweed
Nov 25, 2011, 3:04 PM
Too bad that's a bison. :P

Calgarian
Nov 25, 2011, 3:15 PM
Too bad that's a bison. :P

People never believe me when I tell them that. lol

stamps
Nov 25, 2011, 3:50 PM
Buffalo = Bison.... Moose = Elk..... Elk = Red Deer...... Indians = people who live in India....

freeweed
Nov 25, 2011, 5:45 PM
Well yes, and when we realized our mistake, we stopped calling them "Indians". Except the federal government.

Ferreth
Dec 14, 2011, 4:04 AM
Seen Calgary Beer in the Coop in Okotoks last week - assume it's available here in Calgary Coop liquor stores as well.