PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing a 30-Year old tower: First Canadian Place

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Tony
Oct 1, 2009, 2:40 AM
REFRESHING A 30-YEAR-OLD TOWER
First Canadian Place
From Novae Res Urbis - City of Toronto Edition - Vol 13 No. 38

For an office tower constructed in 1975, it could be challenging to renovate and restore First Canadian Place to achieve LEED certification more than 30 years later. Brookfield Properties Corporation is up to the challenge.

The owner of the uncontested tallest office building in Canada announced that the tower at King Street west and Bay Street will undergo a major interior and exterior renovation including all new cladding with glass spandrel panels on its exterior walls.

The new laminated glass panels, which are resistant to thermal stress and can be insulated to increase its thermal performance, will replace the building’s existing marble exterior. “This rejuvenation program will reinforce the iconic status of one of Canada’s most prominent and recognizable buildings,” said Tom Farley, president and CEO of Canadian commercial operations for Brookfield Properties.

The 72-storey tower is 2.8-million square feet of offices, banks, a three-level shopping complex and parking and was designed by architect Edward Durell Stone. It is estimated that more than 16-million people visit First Canadian Place annually.

Moed de Armas & Shannon Architects are the design architects for the renovation, which includes interior infrastructure upgrades and enhanced energy conservation. The glass work is designed by Doyle Partners.

The overall cladding project includes installation of 7,800-glass spandrel panels on the building façade, totaling 375,000-square feet; the existing 45,000 pieces of marble will be removed and recycled, according to Brookfield.

One glass spandrel panel replaces eight pieces of marble. The existing windows will remain in place.

The tower will also get chiller machine and transformer replacements and high-efficiency toilets and faucets will be installed.

The goal is to obtain LEED–EB:OM certification, which is for existing buildings in the operations and maintenance category.

The project will begin immediately and is expected to be completed by the end of 2011.

Tony
Oct 1, 2009, 2:41 AM
Dunno if anyone else read this article... just what we need, another glass box :rolleyes: As bad as the patchwork of dis-coloured marble it is, this is does not appear to be a good solution.

Need renderings....

MolsonExport
Oct 1, 2009, 2:43 AM
read the article this weekend past. rather monotonous makeover

Tony
Oct 1, 2009, 2:45 AM
ah-ha.. there's a website:

www.redefiningfirst.com

http://www.redefiningfirst.com/img/project/tower-podium/image-5.jpg
source: www.redefiningfirst.com

Not as bad as I initially thoughts... <whew>

Rathgrith
Oct 1, 2009, 2:48 AM
Dunno if anyone else read this article... just what we need, another glass box :rolleyes: As bad as the patchwork of dis-coloured marble it is, this is does not appear to be a good solution.

Need renderings....

Its better than slabs of marble (one tonne I think) falling off and crushing those below.

But I think the real goal of the glass is to make it look shinier than the other bank branded skyscrapers nearby and therefor make potential customers think that BMO is better...because their building is shinier.

Calgarian
Oct 1, 2009, 2:54 AM
That's gonna look pretty good, much better than the Marble. Marble wears really bad in this climate, that's why it looked like crap and was falling apart.

LeftCoaster
Oct 1, 2009, 3:18 AM
Tony, more information on this can be found in the top 10 construction thread including pictures of the already in progress stripping of the marble.

Thanks for the article though, it answered my question of when the completion is scheduled for.

Dr Nevergold
Oct 1, 2009, 4:31 AM
Fantastic, I think this is the largest such recladding and LEED conversion attempted thus far, if I'm not mistaken.

I was skeptical it could be done until seeing that photo, that looks absolutely amazing.

Rico Rommheim
Oct 1, 2009, 5:01 AM
Too bas I love marble! I guess you just can't pull it off at this scale (see Aon building)

vid
Oct 1, 2009, 7:53 AM
AON Building was designed by the same architect and used the same stone. I don't like marble or granite used on buildings because if it isn't kept clean and polished, it looks really grubby and cheap. From a distance, FCP might as well have been clad in concrete panels.

srperrycgy
Oct 1, 2009, 8:11 AM
When I worked in Petro-Canada Centre (now Suncor Energy Centre), I noticed that both the windows and the marble were cleaned by the window cleaners. Kinda cool to watch.

Slug
Oct 1, 2009, 8:50 AM
Shouldn't this be in the Toronto local.... oh wait.

caltrane74
Oct 1, 2009, 3:02 PM
yeah, there is no Toronto local...

Anyways this just became the reclad thread..

shogged
Oct 4, 2009, 11:50 PM
i think it looks great! its just a modern refresh that stays well within the original design

Fmarotte
Oct 5, 2009, 12:23 AM
"2.8-million square feet of offices" Damn that's way bigger that I thought.

G.S MTL
Oct 5, 2009, 4:32 AM
shouldnt this thread be in Ontario forum? is it just me or is this site messed up?

Calgarian
Oct 5, 2009, 4:36 AM
"2.8-million square feet of offices" Damn that's way bigger that I thought.

That includes the base and Parkade if i read correctly.

Rico Rommheim
Oct 5, 2009, 6:01 AM
shouldnt this thread be in Ontario forum? is it just me or is this site messed up?

thank you malek!

Tony
Oct 5, 2009, 11:10 AM

It's the COUNTRY'S tallest tower. Deal with it.

G.S MTL
Oct 5, 2009, 5:22 PM
thank you malek!

malek?

G.S MTL
Oct 5, 2009, 5:22 PM
It's the COUNTRY'S tallest tower. Deal with it.

oh please..the country doesn't care what facelift the tallest tower is getting.

caltrane74
Oct 5, 2009, 5:26 PM
Even it the country doesn't care, maybe people from the other international forums here might pop-in to take a look at whats going on with the tallest skyscrapers here. I mean it's a skyscraper forum, and this is the Canada section within the skyscraper forum, and FCP is the tallest skyscraper here.... Which automatically makes this recladding project the largest ever recladding project in this country (and it's history)..and worthy of note in the prime forum.

G.S MTL
Oct 5, 2009, 5:32 PM
Even it the country doesn't care, maybe people from the other international forums here might pop-in to take a look at whats going on with the tallest skyscrapers here. I mean it's a skyscraper forum, and this is the Canada section within the skyscraper forum, and FCP is the tallest skyscraper here.... Which automatically makes this recladding project the largest ever recladding project in this country..

god you make it sound the FCP is in the top 10 tallest in the world...Give me a break! honestly. Its like 95th tallest.:haha:

caltrane74
Oct 5, 2009, 5:57 PM
god you make it sound the FCP is in the top 10 tallest in the world...Give me a break! honestly. Its like 95th tallest.:haha:

Where did I say FCP is the tallest top 10 in the world???.. you're not making any sense.. im sorry, can you please clarify?

Seems like your just trying to be goofy, and joke to turn a legimiate construction thread into a spamandpissmatch to get it shutdown.. I think the people here have more sense than that and appricate skyscraper construction, and will choose not to follow you down the primrose path.

wco
Oct 5, 2009, 6:02 PM
It is an interesting project, no matter which way you slice it.

francely57
Oct 5, 2009, 6:22 PM

When it was built, FCP was the 8th tallest in the world.
(tallest outside NY & Chicago of course)

(tallest in the British Empire before Petronas twins were built in 1998)

It doesn't look cool, but it's still an extremely important building for the country (apparently it has almost as much more office space as Mtl's 3 tallest combined)

craner
Oct 5, 2009, 6:36 PM

Speak for yourself - I'm very interested.

G.S MTL
Oct 5, 2009, 6:52 PM
ONtario thread it belongs! not here.

Doug_Cgy
Oct 5, 2009, 7:07 PM
Even it the country doesn't care, maybe people from the other international forums here might pop-in to take a look at whats going on with the tallest skyscrapers here. I mean it's a skyscraper forum, and this is the Canada section within the skyscraper forum, and FCP is the tallest skyscraper here.... Which automatically makes this recladding project the largest ever recladding project in this country (and it's history)..and worthy of note in the prime forum.

I wouldn't worry...He likes to sh*t on every city. We've seen it with Calgary, now Toronto.

I think the re-clad will look AWESOME...I can't wait to see the progress!!

G.S MTL
Oct 5, 2009, 7:12 PM
I wouldn't worry...He likes to sh*t on every city. We've seen it with Calgary, now Toronto.

I think the re-clad will look AWESOME...I can't wait to see the progress!!

lol with every city?...im talking about a building not a city.

rapid_business
Oct 5, 2009, 7:56 PM
Interesting project... now to get my hands on a piece or two of the marble for my kitchen... or an interesting coffee table....

P Unit
Oct 5, 2009, 8:23 PM
Oh no, the natural order of skyscraperpage.com will be forever tainted if we allow a thread about something in Toronto to be posted in the Canada section! Whatever shall we do!!!

(Let's ignore the thread about the Montreal MLS franchise and the Montreal auto race while we're at it..)

MonkeyRonin
Oct 5, 2009, 8:29 PM
Half of the threads here could go to the various provincial subforums, but really, aside from that one guy does anyone really care?

Rico Rommheim
Oct 5, 2009, 9:15 PM
now to get my hands on a piece or two of the marble for my kitchen... or an interesting coffee table....

wow, is that actually possible? I would luuuuuuv to get my hands on a FCP marble!

Tony
Oct 6, 2009, 11:10 AM
Interesting project... now to get my hands on a piece or two of the marble for my kitchen... or an interesting coffee table....

:hmmm: Why stop there? Don't you need some new flooring too? :)

SteelTown
Oct 6, 2009, 11:44 AM
They'll likely crush up the marble for landscaping, that's what they did to Hamilton's City Hall former facade. It was built in the 60's and they only needed a crowbar to take the marble tiles off. The tiles were like mush from all the water exposure.

hollywoodnorth
Oct 6, 2009, 1:18 PM
cool stuff thanks for the post

kool maudit
Oct 6, 2009, 2:40 PM
if this thread was on the ontario section, i would have missed it. and it's cool.

so quit the regional bullshit.

what the hell is wrong with us?

vid
Oct 6, 2009, 4:22 PM
malek?

Anti-Canadian Québec nationalist. He was banned for insulting members repeatedly.

This is an architecture and urban issues website with an emphasis on Skyscrapers. This is the tallest skyscraper in Canada, and therefore would be of interest of everyone in Canada who is also interested in skyscrapers and architecture.

lol with every city?...im talking about a building not a city.

If the country's tallest conventional building doesn't count then I guess no buildings count, and this section shouldn't even exist.

what the hell is wrong with us?

We lack any significant problems about which to complain. (At least, problems that aren't so far-removed from us that we fail to understand them enough to complain about them.)

Why do rich people complain about ...anything? Same deal.

caltrane74
Oct 6, 2009, 4:37 PM
http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_03/IMG_oct-03-09-0190.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_03/IMG_oct-03-09-0191.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_03/IMG_oct-03-09-0192.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_03/IMG_oct-03-09-0193.jpg

http://davidfisher.biz/photo/2009/oct/2009_10_03/IMG_oct-03-09-0194.jpg

from drum118 at UT
www.urbantorotno.ca

Daveography
Oct 6, 2009, 4:45 PM
I think this is a fascinating project, too, and I too am interested in following its progress in this thread.

And I also wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that marble...anyone got any insiders on this project? ;)

habfanman
Oct 6, 2009, 11:46 PM
I think this will look great when it's done. Too bad about the marble but the glass and dark edges will really make it stand out. Good job!

MTLskyline
Oct 7, 2009, 1:34 AM
So what are they doing? Removing all the marble first, and then putting the new glass paneling on? Does that mean that for a brief period of time, FCP will not be a white tower? Can't wait to see this!

LeftCoaster
Oct 7, 2009, 2:20 AM
They are removing two strips down the side of the building in which to anchor the crane and then they will move vertically down the tower removing and replacing the panels.

Unfortunately we will not get to see an entirely unclad FCP, although that is a good thing realistically as leaving the building unclad wlike that would do irreperable damage to the building, not to mention waste a little bit of energy...

rapid_business
Oct 7, 2009, 9:56 PM
:hmmm: Why stop there? Don't you need some new flooring too? :)

Ha.

What company is doing it (the removal/retrofit that is)? I wonder who I'd talk to to pursue this dream a little...

niwell
Oct 10, 2009, 9:29 PM
They'll likely crush up the marble for landscaping, that's what they did to Hamilton's City Hall former facade. It was built in the 60's and they only needed a crowbar to take the marble tiles off. The tiles were like mush from all the water exposure.

I'm not sure of what the full plan of what to do with the marble on Hamilton's City Hall was, but at least some of it was just thrown out. Apparently the owner of HIStory and HERitage gallery on James saw workers dumping a bunch into dumpsters and asked if he could grab some. Pieces of various size are now on display at the gallery.

Love to get my hands on some FCP marble if the same thing happens...

Andy6
Oct 10, 2009, 9:46 PM
They have been replacing the marble anyway for about the last 7-8 years, bit by bit. For awhile before that they were trying to clean it. Bay-Adelaide is taking dozens of floors of tenants out of the other buildings, so there is a bit of musical chairs going on at the moment and I guess everyone wants to look their best.

1ajs
Oct 11, 2009, 3:44 AM
musical chares i would imagin alows for the older buildings to see much needed upgrades and such no?

caltrane74
Nov 25, 2009, 9:38 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4131093294_5c2209f9ef_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riddimryder/4131093294/sizes/l/
from riddimryder at www.flickr.com

http://andrewfare.com/UTB/mytoronto6/fcpclad.jpg

from andrioduk at UT

www.urbantoronto.ca

Andy6
Nov 26, 2009, 1:15 AM
They've taken a lot off the top on the north side too, as well as starting on the pieces on the concourse along Adelaide and along the King street side. This must take a lot of planning.

Dylan Leblanc
Nov 26, 2009, 1:20 AM
that's a neat checkerboard look

ReginaGuy
Nov 26, 2009, 3:54 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4131093294_5c2209f9ef_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riddimryder/4131093294/sizes/l/
from riddimryder at www.flickr.com

cool, FCP has racing stripes now!

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2009, 4:08 AM
This is an awesome project! Ive always loved FCP :)

keep the pics coming

big T
Nov 26, 2009, 1:21 PM
Amazing project! I was a bit sceptical and feared another blueish box, but the renderings look great.
Also count me with those who are glad this was posted in the Canadian forum, otherwise I would have missed it.
Can't wait to see the work move along!

Traynor
Nov 26, 2009, 6:24 PM
I asked this question over at Urban Toronto and so far no answers... So I'll ask here...

I have been to the top floor of FCP several times over the years and as we all know, the elevators are stacked with Even floors reached from the Lobby and Odd floors reached from the Lower Lobby. Additionally, the elevators are grouped for lower floors, mid-floors and high floors...

I haven't been in the building for years now, but if memory serves, there IS a 13th floor but there is no 71st floor. WTF? I always wanted to know why there is a 70 and a 72 in the Even elevators but there is no 71 in the Odd elevators. As far as the buttons in the elevator goes, the highest Odd floor is 69.

So is FCP listed officially as 72 floors but actually only 71?

Does anyone have an explanation?

vid
Nov 26, 2009, 6:26 PM
It's probably a utility floor, not meant for public access.

Traynor
Nov 26, 2009, 7:03 PM
It's probably a utility floor, not meant for public access.

Yeah, I thought of that, but isn't it a little unusual to have a utility floor that close to the top anyway?

vid
Nov 26, 2009, 7:26 PM
I don't think so.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 26, 2009, 7:35 PM
It's maybe a BMO private function floor accessed through the 70th floor. I remember a party somewhere up there during my party crashing phase. I do know BMO does not have the lease on the 72nd floor. The CEO, CFO, KGB, NAACP is up there as well.

sammo
Nov 26, 2009, 11:15 PM
...during my party crashing phase.

lol, you too!

youngregina
Nov 27, 2009, 6:09 AM
sweet!

sammo
Dec 4, 2009, 3:57 AM
great view by Mo-tage at ut.
note the four new panels at the base.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2521/4156176410_95fcb50c0c_o.jpg

LeftCoaster
Dec 4, 2009, 3:59 AM
Someone should get a shot, there are quite a few panels missing on the North facade now... it was quite visible from Bloor.

I'd take one but I don't think my BB would quite capture it.

MTLskyline
Dec 4, 2009, 5:09 AM
great view by Mo-tage at ut.
note the four new panels at the base.

Very clean looking! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Daveography
Dec 4, 2009, 4:02 PM
Still wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that old marble.

rapid_business
Dec 4, 2009, 7:26 PM
me too... like I said. Coffee table... or a new counter top.

caltrane74
Dec 9, 2009, 10:20 PM
This photo is from December 5th

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/4169027671_192cb3109c_b.jpg

landing page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travlr/4169027671/sizes/l/
direct link here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/4169027671_192cb3109c_b.jpg
taken by: travlr at www.flickr.com

ok finally the pictures me and my gf took yesterday..

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9404/sany1463.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2445/sany1464.jpg

ha!

vid
Dec 10, 2009, 4:20 AM
The links you should have directed it to are this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/travlr/4169027671/) and this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/travlr/).

That is, the main photo page where you can comment on the photo, and the photographers photo stream page where you see thumbnails of their most recent uploads. You should also note the copyright data (lower right of the page), which will say whether it is © or Creative Commons.

caltrane74
Dec 10, 2009, 6:45 PM
Vid, shouldn't you be taking a picture of a street or something else interesting in Thunder Bay your people need ya!! ha!

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4590/sany1503.jpg

WhipperSnapper
Dec 10, 2009, 7:21 PM
well, what do you know ... the old Bank of Montreal logo re-appears

Phil McAvity
Dec 11, 2009, 12:01 AM
It's maybe a BMO private function floor accessed through the 70th floor. I remember a party somewhere up there during my party crashing phase. I do know BMO does not have the lease on the 72nd floor. The CEO, CFO, KGB, NAACP is up there as well.

Hahahah! :haha: Nice! :tup:

I think the NFL, RCMP, NBA and CIA also rent space up there.

Phil McAvity
Dec 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Still wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that old marble.

Sure, who couldn't use thousands of 300 pound slabs of marble?

caltrane74
Dec 11, 2009, 2:26 PM
Vid, shouldn't you be taking a picture of a street or something else interesting in Thunder Bay your people need ya!! ha

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4590/sany1503.jpg

i took this phto yesterday, should have more updates later today...

caltrane74
Dec 14, 2009, 2:03 AM
sorry guys for not updating the photos here. not much to report it was cold in toronto for a day and a half there and that shut down construction on friday...and i was in niagra falls for a couple of days... should have and update here for you guys on monday or tuesday..

caltrane74
Dec 23, 2009, 7:00 PM
finally my skyscraper brothers, I update you!!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4928/sany1618.jpg

dsim249
Dec 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
I can't believe how horrible that old marble looks. I never really noticed till seeing the close-ups.

This is a really cool project, I'm excited to see the results!

caltrane74
Dec 24, 2009, 5:04 AM
Now you see why this cladding needed to be replaced..... glass will be much easier to maintain, or at least, clean....

JayM
Dec 24, 2009, 8:15 AM
Once complete I can see more people wearing shades or sorts to protect their eyes from the bright white!

caltrane74
Dec 25, 2009, 2:44 AM
I think it will end up as a light blue or green colour, you can save your shades. Glass will be very modern.

Stu
Dec 28, 2009, 5:27 PM
The reclad will do this building some good. Glad it looks to be appropriate too. Not all buildings need to be shiny blue glass.

caltrane74
Jan 12, 2010, 6:45 PM
from nicetommy - he got a new Camera and tested out the zoom

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4265491970_a6d4fb9c40_o.jpg

FCP - Reclad

Jan-11-10
Financial District : Toronto
978 Meters
photo courtesy: nicetommy
urban forum: urbantoronto.ca
link:http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5579&page=49

caltrane74
Jan 30, 2010, 9:02 PM
by me

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2707/4316353323_e020a1ddfd_b.jpg

1ajs
Jan 30, 2010, 10:46 PM
no top shot?

vid
Jan 31, 2010, 12:14 PM
So was the scaffolding that hit TD Bank Building the other day from this project?

rapid_business
Jan 31, 2010, 2:34 PM
/\ yes.

caltrane74
Feb 8, 2010, 8:38 PM
another picture by me on the fly...

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1590/sany1723.jpg

Spoolmak
Feb 8, 2010, 10:37 PM
I have yet to see any progress

dsim249
Feb 8, 2010, 11:04 PM
^ Ya, was gonna say, what's the hold up???

caltrane74
Feb 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
They're assembling the scaffolding along side of the building for the system that will be used to remove the marble and carry and install the new glass exterior. They have also installed the fixtures at the top of the building to hold the glass when it arrives in the next month and a half or so.

caltrane74
Feb 13, 2010, 9:50 PM
uebgzmShtHA

by me

caltrane74
Feb 28, 2010, 1:50 AM
slow progress here

2gtH6jbCV0Y

1ajs
Feb 28, 2010, 3:04 AM
i'm amazed the scaftholding can handle that kinda hight

caltrane74
Mar 2, 2010, 2:13 AM
still needs to get a little higher though..

caltrane74
Mar 7, 2010, 11:59 PM
Scaffolding is really moving up on the lower levels now..

photo by me

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6193/sany0070m.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/609/sany0071k.jpg

caltrane74
Mar 9, 2010, 12:50 AM
by me

T4C7cL_M0js

Dwils01
Mar 10, 2010, 8:44 PM
I haven't been to downtown Toronto in 2 years and I was surprised to see how dirty the marble on FCP has got. From the DVP it looks like they got a whole row of marble taken off the top of the building. Can't wait to see this project completed. The new cladding will make FCP look like new again.

Coldrsx
Mar 10, 2010, 8:47 PM
it is unfortunate though that they are not addressing sustainability in this renewal very much.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 10, 2010, 9:19 PM
^^They're upgrading all the mechanical systems as well ... that's a huge plus

Coldrsx
Mar 10, 2010, 9:22 PM
^^They're upgrading all the mechanical systems as well ... that's a huge plus

yes but what about the envelope... somewhat important in a colder climate

WhipperSnapper
Mar 10, 2010, 9:37 PM
What about it?