View Full Version : Hamilton on the right track: Eisenberger

SteelTown
Sep 29, 2009, 3:17 PM
Hamilton on the right track: Eisenberger
Says small steps, not mega deals, transforming city

September 29, 2009
Meredith MacLeod
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/643976

There are obvious signs that Hamilton is on the right track, Mayor Fred Eisenberger told a breakfast meeting of business and community leaders this morning. 

A mega light-rail project, a successful Pan Am Games bid and the potential arrival of an NHL team would each have a transformational effect on this city. But it’s the smaller steps, more exclusively in the control of the community, that are truly building the city’s foundation, Eisenberger said. 

He pointed to the renovation of the Hamilton Farmers’ Market, the Central Library, the downtown transit terminal and Hamilton City Hall, along with the restoration of the Lister Block.

“They are leading to the next step, hopefully not too far down the road: a revitalized Gore Park.” He also highlighted efforts on the waterfront, the city’s push on economic development and efforts to create an arts catalyst. 

Eisenberger told a packed audience for the annual Mayor’s Breakfast, hosted by the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, that he is confident the regional transit authority, Metrolinx, will ratify the city’s choice of light-rail transit and “pick up the lion’s share of the cost, well in excess of 75 per cent.”

He’s also optimistic about a new stadium and other improvements a winning Pan Am Games bid would bring to Hamilton.

And as for RIM billionaire Jim Balsillie’s protracted fight to relocate the Phoenix Coyotes, Eisenberger said: “The more I see of Jim, how tough and passionate and determined he is, how he absolutely refuses to give up no matter what, I can’t help but think this guy belongs here in Hamilton.”

SteelTown
Sep 29, 2009, 3:19 PM
We’ve had some setbacks but overall I do think Hamilton is getting on the right track. Obviously Metrolinx’s decision in November will have a profound impact on Hamilton if they endorse Light Rail Transit for the B-Line.

SteelTown
Sep 29, 2009, 4:03 PM
Mayor's Breakfast 2009

Good morning!

Thank you for that kind introduction.

And thanks to all of you for coming out, so early this morning, to hear me speak.

As my wife Diane said this morning when I told her I was expecting a large audience: “They must serve one hell of a breakfast.”

There is no place like home when it comes to unconditional love.

It really is a pleasure to be here with friends, at a time when I’m under enormous pressure, and my fate feels beyond my control.

I’m speaking, of course, not of the next election, but of this October 23rd, when the Tiger-Cats play the Argonauts for the fourth and final time this year.

You see, back in July, I bet on the season series with Mayor Miller. If I lose, I have to wear an Argo jersey to a council meeting – something I fear no Hamilton mayor could ever live down.

And so far, the Cats have lost two out of three to the Argos. So I’m a little obsessed with next month’s game.

In fact, I’m told Coach Bellefeuille has taken to answering his phone by saying: “Mr. Mayor, stop calling me. I’ve got it covered.”

I also want to thank the Chamber for all that it does to build a stronger Hamilton…

And I want to thank each of you for all you do to invest in our city and our future.

Shakespeare wrote: “What is the city but the people?”

And the people of Hamilton are truly second to none. That is true in all walks of life, but it is especially evident in our business community.

I’m talking about people like Kevin MacKay, of the Sky Dragon Centre, who invested in our downtown when it wasn’t the fashionable thing to do…. 

Rodrigo and Alvar Venturelli, and Melanie Golba, who had the foresight to start their Plan B organic farm in Flamborough back when others thought organic food was just a passing fad…

Clement Chan and Justina Ku, who believed that Hamilton could be the hub for countless educational and culture exchanges between Canada and China, and then brought so much energy to making their dream come true…

Or Sarah Moir , who could have been consumed by her mental illness, but instead was inspired by it to create Crazy Daisy, a floral shop designed to delight customers, and enlighten us all, by promoting mental wellness. 

What they all share, with so many of you, with so many of our fellow Hamiltonians… is the sheer determination, and work- ethic -- it takes to succeed.

A visiting celebrity once endeared himself to the people of Chicago by saying: “Hollywood is hype, New York is talk, but Chicago is work.”

Well, my friends, by that measure, Hamilton is hard work.

Our people work very hard. They’re tough. And they’re resilient.

And that’s what inspired me to run for mayor: our people.

I thought that if we could harness their energy, tap into their love for Hamilton, and emulate their work ethic….

If we could share a common vision, and commit to a well-thought out, long-term plan….

We could aspire again to be one of North America’s leading cities.

Certainly not the biggest…. And perhaps not the most glamorous…but one of the most forward thinking…

I believed then it was time to rise above what others pigeon hole Hamilton to be, and strive towards what we know the NEXT Hamilton can be…

In a nutshell, I thought it was time we stopped complaining to others about what was happening to us…. And we started working together to make things happen, for us.

I’m here today, almost three years later, to tell you that while there is much more to do, and we have a long way to go, we have made real, important, sustainable progress….

In a word, we have momentum on our side.

And that’s what I want to talk to you about this morning:

The ideas that are generating this momentum…

The plan that’s driving this momentum…

And the recognition we’re starting to get because of our momentum.

Perhaps most importantly, I’ll conclude with what I believe we have to do, together, to keep Hamilton moving forward.

Let’s start with the ideas that have people talking about our city in such a positive way.

There is, of course, the big three: mega projects as the Spectator recently identified - that are obvious to everyone: Light Rail, the Pan Am Games, and the NHL.

Our $1 billion dollar proposal for new light rail transit also promises to create, and attract, jobs, moving our people forward, in every way.

We remain confident that the regional transit authority, Metrolinx, will follow our lead and choose LRT for Hamilton and pick up the lion’s share of the cost, well in excess of 75 per cent.

We’re optimistic about Ontario’s Pan Am Games bid, proud of Hamilton’s place at the heart of that bid, and excited about its possibilities, including a new stadium, and extensive infrastructure improvements.

We have worked with Jim Balsille every step of the way to bring the NHL to Hamilton.

The more I see of Jim, how tough and passionate and determined he is, how he absolutely refuses to give up no matter what, I can’t help but think: this guy belongs here in Hamilton.

But regardless of how his prolonged court battle plays out, there is now a view shared right across the continent, that Hamilton is big enough, important enough, and deserving enough to be home to the National Hockey League…

and that’s tremendous for our image - not only - in the eyes of sports fans, but also in the eyes of investors and employers.

These projects are large, attractive, and focus a lot of well deserved attention on Hamilton.

But there are scores of other initiatives under way, which are, absolutely essential to our city’s foundation, and frankly, more exclusively within our own control:

The transformation of our downtown is accelerating, with the exciting renovation of the Farmers Market, the Central Library, the downtown Transit Terminal, and City Hall – all of them part of a  revitalized city core, building on the restoration of the Lister Block, and leading to the next step: a revitalized Gore Park.

We can see the potential of our waterfront and are determined to realize it.  That is why we are moving ahead with the redevelopment of our bayfront with the creation of a waterfront development corporation. 

We have revamped how we do business at City Hall – and how you do business with City Hall.  A freeze on residential development charges, a new Integrity Commissioner for council, new investment in economic development, a new by-law enforcement team with a new approach, one stop shopping for building approvals, our Hamilton Calling team, which has worked so hard to retain local businesses and help them grow – (over 500 companies contacted in the last 18 months)

All of these are part of a stronger foundation on which we can continue to build momentum.

And they’ve helped us see promising business development such as: 

the redevelopments of Centre Mall and  Mountain Plaza Mall, the new Tim Horton’s plant in Ancaster and the impressive success story of Karma Candy.  (to name but a few)

At your tables is a highlights card – with a snap shot of some of the investment activity to date in 2009.

We understand now what makes a smart, livable, dynamic city.

That is why our recently passed Official Plan focuses on limiting urban sprawl, protecting prime agricultural land and becoming a more environmentally sustainable community.

We know that our opportunities are only as bright and diverse as our people…. So we’re working to compete for the best and brightest immigrants, and we’re reaching out to maximize the potential and talents of the new Canadians who have already chosen Hamilton, just as my parents did, and so many of your parents did, just a generation ago.

We also know that a strong arts community not only generates its own economic activity – it also attracts people and investment to your city.

So we’ve nurtured and expanded our cultural sector by funding a feasibility study for the creation of a creative catalyst with the goal of developing a cultural and creative space in the City which will function as an anchor and a spur to the creative community as an economic hub.

We know that education is a key component in our economic development and it is part of our ability to maintain a strong quality of life here in Hamilton. 

Education helps diversify our economy and create the jobs of tomorrow.  We are blessed with an excellent education system in Hamilton including three outstanding post-secondary institutions:  McMaster, Mohawk, and Redeemer.   

We know that quality of life is essential to the ability to grow, and we’re making new investments in our recreation facilities. 

We need to be mature, strategic and positive in our dealings with other levels of government, and that it’s not enough to throw up our hands and complain, we have to point to a clear plan and target our efforts.

And that approach has paid off with  $137 million in funding for infrastructure, and over $30 million to further our rapid transit plans, $7 million for affordable housing. 

We know that while we are proud of our industrial legacy, and we continue to aggressively pursue manufacturing jobs, we must also focus on a new generation of employment opportunities.

So we have been focused on the emerging strengths of the Next Hamilton: health and sciences, advanced manufacturing, green industries, goods movement and agri-business.

We have attracted to Hamilton Fortera, the CANMET Materials Technology Lab, Trivaris Limited, DHL Express Canada Ltd, Tim Horton’s, Burlington Automation,   the Canadian Aboriginal Festival, and the Canadian Country Music Awards

We have made all of this progress in the face of severe challenges, from repeated flooding, to the worst recession in twenty years.

And we have made all of this progress because the people of Hamilton are working hard, and their councilors are working together.

Now, I know the nature of news is to focus on conflict, and it’s true that we on council seldom agree on all the details.

But we have managed to forge a consensus when it comes to our city’s direction.

And that is a testament of the commitment we share to our city -- no matter what part of it we represent -- no matter what political strip we may have sported in the past.

Still - we have important challenges ahead of us.
While Hamilton’s tax increases over the last few years have been low – there remains a clear tax burden on residential properties that needs to be addressed.

The current recession is also impacting city revenues.

This Council is committed to fiscal sustainability and has asked staff to develop a financial sustainability plan, which will address both the short and long term fiscal health of our city.

And while we made major strides towards becoming a united jurisdiction –  when we   come to terms with area rating, we need to recognize what’s unique about each community within Hamilton, but also allows us to continue to build a Hamilton that all of us can be proud of, and all of us can prosper from being a part of.

But we must face these tough decisions in a way that doesn’t derail the momentum we have worked so hard to build…

We must stay on course and continue to work together…

especially when the world beyond Hamilton is really starting to take notice.

After all, in its April ranking of North American cities of the future, FDI Magazine, from the Financial Times Group, ranked Hamilton third among large cities in terms of quality of life.

The Economic Developers Council of Ontario recognized us last year as the most “investment ready” municipality in Ontario.

Our research is showing that the ambassador program is working and our investhamilton web site is attracting worldwide attention.

Last week investhamilton earned a top ranking in a nationwide evaluation of how cities use social media marketing to attract investment.  In a survey of 20 cities – Hamilton was ranked third for its use of social media tools – such as twitter and facebook.

In fact, CBC News Toronto highlighted the InvestHamilton website as an excellent user friendly site that the City of Toronto could learn from.

Congratulations and Kudos to Tim McCabe, Neil Everson and our Economic Development team for their innovative marketing efforts. Council’s investment in Economic Development is indeed showing results. 

And, I’m pleased to announce, Site Selection Magazine, has just ranked Hamilton among the Top Ten Canadian Metros (#7) when it comes to attracting new projects and expansions.

Site Selection Magazine is the voice of leading corporate real estate executives industrial asset managers – it speaks to those who make major investment decisions.

Of course, while awards are nice, and recognition is important, jobs are paramount.

And while we must continue to work to tackle a jobless rate that is obviously unacceptable, the fact that our unemployment rate is lower than many of our neighbours, including Kitchener-Waterloo, London, St. Catherines/Niagara and Oshawa, is an encouraging sign that we’re moving in the right direction.

I’m confident we’re doing just that.

Because, while we have a long way to go, and there remains much to do…

Our very own economic development task force - with over 140 community participants and well over 12,000 volunteer hours logged -- the Jobs Prosperity Collaborative - is forging ahead.

We have the best people focused on jobs and collaboration – working to move the City forward.

For the first time in a long time, Hamilton has a clear vision, to make our city the best place in Canada to raise a child, promote innovation, engage citizens and provide diverse economic opportunities…

I am determined to keep the doors of City Hall open because we need the involvement of everyone to achieve this vision.  So join a committee, become informed, check out my website at mayorfred.ca, email me with your ideas and concerns and I will make sure your City Hall listens and helps.

For the first time in a long time, we have a plan to make it happen…

And for the first time in a long time, Hamilton, finally, has the momentum…

And together, you and I…we’re going to keep it!

Thank you very much.

SteelTown
Oct 8, 2009, 11:27 AM
Is Hamilton winning or losing?
City must solve big problems, panellists say

October 08, 2009
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/649572

The breakfast panel discussion was getting set to wrap up when Doug Barber stood up to ask a very pointed question.

"I came here to find out if Hamilton is winning or losing," said the co-founder and former CEO of Gennum Corporation, who's also an engineering professor at McMaster University.

"I heard a lot of cheerleading and that people are playing well together as a team but I'm disappointed that I don't know how we're doing. We're either winning, losing or treading water, but I don't know."

Panellist Marvin Ryder, a marketing professor at McMaster's DeGroote School of Business, was the first to respond.

"I feel like we're losing," he said.

Ryder explained there are more than 15 measures to examine to get a full sense of a city. On some, progress is being made, but in other areas, the city is falling behind.

He said Hamilton has lost much of its wealth-generating capacity, mostly in manufacturing, and replaced it with wealth redistribution in public-sector institutions such as hospitals and schools.

In his address at an event called The Future of Economic Development in the Greater Hamilton Area yesterday morning, Ryder said seven of Hamilton's top 10 employers are in the public sector.

"To put it in perspective, if all of the different Walmarts proposed for Hamilton are built, there's a good chance Walmart will be the third largest private-sector employer here."

There are 40,000 more people leaving Hamilton every day for jobs than actually work here, he says, putting us in the category of a bedroom community.

None of that helps Hamilton's tax base, which is heavily dependent on homeowners, Ryder said. He said the community must find a way to bridge its past as a manufacturing centre with its future in a new economy.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger acknowledged the challenges but said the city is moving forward on key elements that will help it realize a new future. He highlighted transit plans, the Pan Am Games bid, the work to develop a waterfront development corporation and "robust" collaboration taking place across the city.

But he cautioned that the city's poverty burden, the heavy reliance on the residential tax base, the "sticky" problem of area tax rating and a "large and looming" infrastructure deficit present enormous challenges going forward.

"We can't always go to the provincial and federal governments. We had to have solutions of our own."

Eisenberger and Ryder were joined by panellists Mark Chamberlain, chair of the Jobs Prosperity Collaborative and president of commercialization firm Trivaris, and Spectator editor-in-chief David Estok.

The event was hosted by Global Public Affairs, a Toronto-based government and public relations firm.

Chamberlain said Hamilton has a strong foundation on which entrepreneurs can create jobs. But the community is still plagued by a restricted vision.

"The four most unimaginative words in the English language are 'We can't afford it.' It's become a rallying cry and a reason why we don't do things."

He criticized the approach that puts tax assessment ahead of creating good jobs.

"I look at a single-storey, big-box store and I think, 'This is a city that aims low.'"

Estok said Hamiltonians who are proud of the city's past too often frame that in a "prism of negativity and a sense of loss. A sense that we aren't as good as we once were; that we are somehow diminished."

He was surprised by the transformation of elements of his hometown, such as the waterfront and Ottawa Street, after returning from a 20-year absence to take on his role at the paper. But Estok was disappointed by what had been lost in the downtown, and the growing cycle of poverty.

FairHamilton
Oct 8, 2009, 3:24 PM
In the past 18 months, I've come to the conclusion The Mayor is out of touch with reality.

I completely share Marvin Ryder's views, Mark Chamberlain is bang-on and I see what Estok is talking about all the time, even from some participants in this forum.

SteelTown
Oct 8, 2009, 3:25 PM
I'd volunteer if Mark Chamberlain was to run for Mayor.

highwater
Oct 8, 2009, 3:40 PM
In the past 18 months, I've come to the conclusion The Mayor is out of touch with reality.

Well, he's gotta be upbeat, it's his job description. I'm sure he's in touch with reality in private, and he does acknowledge the 'challenges'.

FairHamilton
Oct 8, 2009, 5:45 PM
I'm okay with the upbeat, actually that's what I want from my elected officials.

I was referring more to his focus that why Hamilton is winning has to do with government funded initiatives; LRT, PanAm, etc. And while not include in the article, his continued and repeated support of government subsidized affordable housing in the downtown core.

Where is the; "Here's initiatives we have to attract new business to the city"? I think it's completely absent, i.e. Tim McCabe's "don't ask me details" quote to the writer to that ROB article, on programs to attract business to Hamilton

Further to Marvin Ryder's statement. How many of our Top 10 employers pay property taxes? Not McMaster, not Hospitals, not the City, not Mohawk......

Our #1 taxpayer in the city is a Mall on the Mountain. And to me that does not seem like a healthy way to finance the workings of a city. Especially a city with big government spending actions and future plans, i.e. Lister, City Hall, LRT, affordable housing......... US Steel is in the Top 5 taxpayers in the city, and I wonder if their shutdown will result in them paying lower taxes this year?

We've seemed to have developed and promoted the "Poverty Industry" in Hamilton. What I, and many others, want to see is the "Prosperity Industry" be promoted and encouraged. Unfortunately, I don't think the current City Hall understands, or shares that vision.

drpgq
Oct 8, 2009, 5:53 PM
I'd volunteer if Mark Chamberlain was to run for Mayor.

Personally I would prefer he stay in the private sector at Trivaris trying to create private sector jobs in Hamilton via startups. I don't think the mayor can really do much in that regard for this city and that is what Hamilton needs more than anything.

FairHamilton
Oct 9, 2009, 1:57 AM
Personally I would prefer he stay in the private sector at Trivaris trying to create private sector jobs in Hamilton via startups. I don't think the mayor can really do much in that regard for this city and that is what Hamilton needs more than anything.

I agree and disagree (not a bad thing).

I disagree because, we need a mayor that is persuasive with a great vision for the city that can bring the majority of councillors on to his side. Today we sorely lack that person.

On the flip side, I agree we need forward thinking individuals like Mark working to create private sector jobs for our city. In fact, we need more like that.

The best of both worlds would be that he remains in his current position, but have the ear of a strong forward thinking and progressive mayor (and at least some of the councillors).

SteelTown
Oct 10, 2009, 1:32 PM
Celebrate city's past, but focus on future
Instead of talking about the past, the challenge today is to focus on the future ... What does Hamilton at one million people look like?

October 10, 2009
David Estok
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/article/651179

The following is an address this week by Spectator editor-in-chief David Estok to a conference on the Future of Economic Development in the Greater Hamilton Area.

I was born and raised in Hamilton's east end and although I have not lived in the city for more than two decades, most of my family has lived here their whole lives.

I have always considered myself a Hamiltonian.

I wanted to start by admitting my bias: I have a deep love of our city and, if you didn't know, the Tiger Cats.

Even though I thought I knew Hamilton, I have been surprised by a number of things since I returned to the city in early 2007.

The development of our waterfront in the years I had been away was a pleasant surprise. Hamiltonians have rediscovered and reclaimed the bay and its beauty and it feels right.

I like the vibrancy of Locke Street, the rejuvenation of Ottawa Street, the tremendous growth on Hamilton Mountain, the personality of James Street North, the growth of our airport and a new vision for our harbour, and the growth in size and stature of our universities, hospitals and colleges.

I have also been so impressed by a spirit of co-operation and collaboration that exists here. The Poverty Round Table, the jobs prosperity collaborative, our United Way are but a few examples of Hamiltonians from all walks of life working collectively to make life better.

Alas, there have been some disappointments too.

Our downtown:

My second week here I had the opportunity to meet privately with Premier Dalton McGuinty. I talked his assistants into having him take a walk with me from King and James, down to John and then back again through the core. We went past store by store, and I reminded him when I was a kid that this was the Connaught, this was Dack Shoes, and this was Fay Jackson. Sadly, they are all gone.

Our traffic:

The addition of the Red Hill Valley Expressway and the Linc are the envy of many cities including London, Ont., where I have lived for many years. But traffic congestion heading toward Toronto has become almost unbearable in the past 20 years. Boris Brott told me when I first came back that it is worse than L.A., a city he spends lots of time in. At least in L.A. you can time your drive; here, because of weather and accidents, its almost impossible.

Think of all the resources being wasted, the time and money, the impact on family life, all because we have not provided the transportation infrastructure we so desperately need.

Our social fabric:

Successive waves of downloading by provincial and federal governments, combined with a real need by many in our city, has put tremendous pressures on many living here. Our social services challenges consume a lot of brainpower and energy, as well as drain our tax dollars and donations, and we need to overcome the issues. I was proud to learn of the Spec's role in the Poverty Round Table, but this issue remains a critical one in our city.

Lastly, I have re-learned two things about Hamiltonians: They love nature and they love our history.

One of the most popular pictures in the newspaper is in our classified section. Readers send in pictures, invariably of birds, animals or scenes of nature. It reminds us that in our Victorian past we were a city of beauty, green and growing.

Hamiltonians also like their history. In fact, we LOVE talking about our past. Hamilton nostalgia is almost a growth industry and real Hamiltonians take pride in telling you our story.

But in my view, and unfortunately, for the people I talk to each day, the past is seen through a prism of negativity or a sense of loss. That somehow we are not as good as we once were. That somehow we have been diminished.

Instead of talking about the past, the challenge today is to focus on our future. We need to understand and get ready as a city for what is coming next.

What does Hamilton at one million people look like?

What do we have to do today to ensure we plan for that?

How do we encourage growth?

How do we become known for innovation?

How much shovel-ready employment land do we have ready?

How do we reward entrepreneurship? How do we become a welcoming place to do business?

What kind of civic and political leadership do we need?

In short, why don't we see vision instead of just seeing barriers?

Exactly two years ago this month, The Hamilton Spectator tried to answer some of these questions in a special 48 page section. We called it Hamilton Next. A Focus On The Future City.

We created an interactive web board game where people could virtually rebuild the city. We asked many of you in this room what needs to be done.

And we came up with a list of 10 ideas.

I thought I would read them to spur some debate:

1. We need all-day, full GO service to downtown Hamilton.

2. We need further development of the waterfront and the mountain brow.

3. We need to build up our economic development operation and streamline processes for development and growth.

4. We need to revitalize the downtown core.

5. We need to protect and promote our key manufacturing industries.

6. We need east-west and north-south LRT.

7. We need to ensure we are the best place to raise a child.

8. We need to provide help for new immigration.

9. We need to build alliances between McMaster, Mohawk, Redeemer, and city business and philanthropists.

10. We need to empower civic leadership and deal with the political culture at city hall.

Two years later, how have we done?

Blurr
Oct 10, 2009, 5:51 PM
It is a good list, although I disagree with #5.

What manufacturing is key in Hamilton?

realcity
Nov 1, 2009, 7:59 PM

I completely share Marvin Ryder's views, Mark Chamberlain is bang-on and I see what Estok is talking about all the time, even from some participants in this forum.

totally agree

to quote Chamberlain

"The four most unimaginative words in the English language are 'We can't afford it.' It's become a rallying cry and a reason why we don't do things."

He criticized the approach that puts tax assessment ahead of creating good jobs.

"I look at a single-storey, big-box store and I think, 'This is a city that aims low.'"

hamiltonecdev
Nov 2, 2009, 2:35 PM
Hamilton's is moving forward, and it's happening piece by piece. There are some good news stories economically out there so check out investinhamilton TV (www.investinhamilton.ca) to learn more.

realcity
Nov 22, 2009, 10:49 PM
:whip: ^Spammer^