PDA

View Full Version : New co-ordinator of the city’s Downtown Municipal Incentives program

SteelTown
Aug 26, 2009, 11:41 PM
‘Downtown guy’ tackles key city job

August 26, 2009
Nicole MacIntyre
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/625178

Glen Norton wants to put himself out of a job.

The new senior business development consultant with Hamilton’s downtown renewal office admits his goal is lofty, but aims for a day when the core no longer requires his or the city’s help.

“I will be completely successful if they don’t need me.”

The city recently hired Norton to replace Gord Moodie, who lost his job after violating the city’s drunk-driving policy. Moodie is also awaiting trial on charges of taking a kickback from a local developer.

When the position opened, Norton said, he jumped at the opportunity to combine his expertise in banking with his passion for the city.

“I really do love Hamilton’s downtown. I think it’s under-appreciated and I think there’s a lot I can do. I know how to make things happen.”

Ron Marini, the city’s director of downtown and community renewal, had the same impression when he talked to Norton. He was attracted to Norton’s background in commercial banking, noting his experience will be of tremendous benefit to the city’s downtown loans and tax incentives programs.

“He brings a lot of excellent skills,” Marini said.

Norton has also invested his own money downtown. He recently partnered with insurance broker Dan Lawrie and lawyers Scott Smith and Mike Clarke to restore the 120-year-old Hamilton Hotel on James Street North.

The rundown boarding house is being converted into art studios as part of a $1-million renovation.

Norton has already declared a conflict of interest on the project because it is seeking tax breaks. He will have no involvement in the city’s handling of the applications, Marini said.

Norton’s connection to the downtown means he already knows the “network.”

“He knows a lot of the players. He knows the buildings,” Marini said. “He is a downtown guy.”

Councillor Bob Bratina jokes Norton is probably overqualified for the job, but brings a real dedication to the core’s revival and an understanding of how to put together a deal.

“We really need people who want to see things happen.”

Norton, who moved to Hamilton two decades ago, credits his grandfather with inspiring his dedication to urban renewal. His elder would salvage old lumber in Huntsville to build new cottages.

Norton envisions similar transformation when he walks through the downtown scanning the upper floors of buildings.

“I would love to see every window unboarded,” he said, noting that will mean he’s achieved his goal: unemployment.

realcity
Aug 27, 2009, 1:04 AM
Good idea.

at least he's someone new with a good attitude. I have faith in Bratina and Marini's endorsement.

highwater
Aug 27, 2009, 3:20 PM
Sounds very positive. Fingers crossed.