PDA

View Full Version : Peddling for charities

manny_santos
Aug 11, 2009, 2:07 AM
On Sunday I was walking downtown, and at Dundas and Richmond, instead of the bongo drum guy in front of Starbucks, there were two young women with clipboards. They approached me soliciting donations for Doctors Without Borders. I just kept walking.

I've noticed a sharp increase in young people peddling donations for charities in a couple of areas of London, namely Dundas and Richmond, and Richmond at the University gates. Several times in the early spring myself and others were approached by people representing various charities, including Amnesty International, UNICEF, and others - they seem to rotate from day to day. Anybody else here noticing this?

I don't mind people looking for charitable donations, but I really dislike being harassed by these people constantly when I'm downtown or walking to class at Western - it's almost like beggars. If I want to donate to a charity, I will do it on my own time.

I think the City of London should require a permit for people to do this on city property. It is just getting really annoying.