PDA

View Full Version : Penguins Coming to the Zoo

Bigtime
Jul 30, 2009, 4:23 PM
I love penguins and this is awesome news in my books!

Calgary Zoo to build $24.5-million penguin exhibit by next spring

By Kim Guttormson Calgary Herald, Calgary Herald July 30, 2009 10:01 AM

The Calgary Zoo plans to start building a $24.5-million penguin exhibit — featuring about 80 birds from four species — by next spring after the project spent months in limbo.

It’s the only piece of the ambitious Arctic Shores proposal that will be built in the near future.

Antarctic Landing will give visitors a chance to see King, rockhopper, Gentoo and Humboldt penguins at play, including a viewing area in the middle of a chilly indoor pool that allows the birds to be seen both above and underwater.

There will also be a separate outdoor pool.

“It will be one of the most eagerly anticipated openings in quite some time,” Don Peterkin, the zoo’s director of facilities, said of the display they hope to open in 2011. “It’s one of those exhibits that absolutely captures people’s imaginations.”

The Calgary Zoo will join Montreal’s Biodome and the West Edmonton Mall with a penguin exhibit.

Gillian Gibbs-Gray, at the zoo with five-year-old Emily and three-year-old son Jamie, said the birds would be a draw.

“Absolutely, my kids would love it,” she said. “We love the opportunity to see animals we wouldn’t otherwise get to experience.

“I know the zoo’s had some tough times, I hope they think it through and it’s something that will be sustainable.”

This fall the zoo will ask the city to free up $14.5 million already committed to the project and will take plans to its board of directors for approval.

The city typically releases its share of funding when a group has hit the 90 per cent fundraising mark.

The zoo also has $3.6 million remaining from a grant previously given by the province and $3 million generated in interest on the overall grant. It is also launching a $3.4-million fundraising campaign for private donations.

The 18,000-square-foot Antarctic Landing — plus a 6,000-square-foot gift shop — is a small piece of what was originally envisioned as Arctic Shores. When a development permit was filed on that project in 2006, it was expected to be a 294,554-square-foot facility with a price tag of more than $120 million and an opening date of next year. Polar bears, beluga whales, penguins, seals and arctic foxes were all on the list of animals being considered.

But soaring construction prices saw the zoo start to scale it back the following year, removing belugas from the wish list to rein in costs. Polar bears, otters and penguins were still hoped for, but donations also weren’t pouring in.

“It became cost prohibitive,” said Grahame Newton, the zoo’s chief financial officer.

Now, spending less than a fifth of the original estimate, penguins will be the sole featured attraction.

An outdoor, 1.5-metre deep pool with a rocky shoreline will house Humboldt penguins — warm weather birds found living along the Pacific coast of South America — in the summer. Part of the rocky slab can be heated, to accommodate Calgary’s cooler nights and only Plexiglas will separate birds from patrons.

In the colder months, King penguins — the second largest species, usually found on subantarctic islands such as South Georgia — will take up residence outside.

The second pool will be indoors and climate controlled to keep it cool for the Gentoos and Rockhoppers, also subantarctic birds, as well as the Kings during the summer.

Visitors will walk in through the middle of the pool, just over a metre of Plexiglas on either side, so they can see the penguins on the rocks or swimming around. Peterkin said the pool will continue under the pathway — which will have glass viewing areas in the floor — so the penguins can swim in a loop, as they like to do.

The new exhibit comes on the heels of some controversy at the zoo, including the death of 41 of cow nose rays last year, which was blamed on human error.

Its newest baby elephant, Malti, died at 15 months last fall after contracting elephant endotheliotropic herpesvirus.

In October 2007, a hippo died after being confined too long in a shipping crate while travelling to Calgary from Denver. And in the span of a year, between 2006 and 2007, four gorillas died at the zoo.

Rob Laidlaw, executive director of Zoocheck, said the penguins are a bad idea.

“I’ve seen a lot of penguin exhibits and very few of them are up to snuff when you look at (the birds’) behaviour,” he said, pointing to the fact many species in the wild wander over a large expanse. “We’d certainly like to see the zoo stop going for these big entertainment-based types of attractions.”

Dee Boersma, the Wadsworth endowed chair in conservation science at the University of Washington and with Penguin Sentinels, said the birds do quite well in zoos, if they have the appropriate environment.

“As long as they’ve got food, they’re fairly happy,” Boersma said, adding the four species that will live in Calgary are never found together in the wild. “Whether you like zoos or not, that’s one issue. But the real issue is most people are never going to see penguins in the wild.

“If we really want to conserve these species in the world, we have to make room for them and people have to care about them. If you never see them, you’re never going to care about them.”

Pointing to her local zoo, she said the penguin exhibit is a success, where “the kids just go wild and so do the penguins, chasing people’s fingers (along the Plexiglas.)”

Cheryl Martin, at the zoo with her son Kyle, 5, and Kim Zizakovic, with daughter Milana, 6, and son Maksim, 5, said given the slew of animated penguins in movies recently, the birds will appeal to kids.

“I think it will be really interesting,” Martin said, “but animal safety is paramount.”

Kyle said he’d like to see the birds, deeming them “cute,” an opinion echoed by Milana.

kguttormson@theherald. canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Link (http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Calgary+build+million+penguin+exhibit+next+spring/1844847/story.html)

Penguins rock! Now for an assortment of penguin pics taken by me on my Antarctic trip in 2008.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2265/2534352440_25105a45e9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/3059882964_b645cdd36f.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/3060326520_4fa37b1fda.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/2545198214_75252a339b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2544378413_845fda1bd9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/3060328570_3da48bc213.jpg

freeweed
Jul 30, 2009, 4:57 PM
This is typical Druh and Bronco wasting taxpayer money.

I bet we could have had a magpie exhibit for $5 million. Why do we need these exotic foreign birds when the birds we have here would do the same job (and save my property taxes!).

I'll remember this atrocity at the next election!!!!!

Bigtime
Jul 30, 2009, 5:10 PM
:haha: I love it Freeweed!

Edit: I hope you don't mind but I have copy and pasted your response into the comments section of the Herald article under the name 'Outrageous!'. I wonder if it will get any bites?

freeweed
Jul 30, 2009, 5:32 PM
By all means. Satire and parody are always best shared.

DizzyEdge
Jul 30, 2009, 6:48 PM
I sure hope they're singing penguins

http://thephoenixfalls.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/happy-feet.jpg

Wooster
Jul 30, 2009, 7:13 PM
Why don't we have students design the exhibits instead!? Students should also be caring for the animals - since when do we need professionals doing things!? SHAME BRONCO AND DRUH!

DizzyEdge
Jul 30, 2009, 7:14 PM
You know.. I really like the idea of not only flooding Herald/Sun comment sections with 'progressive' comments, but also regressive to such a ridiculous extreme that the regular regressives look like they're part of a group of kooks

Riise
Jul 30, 2009, 7:45 PM
By all means. Satire and parody are always best shared.

All of us should use this opportunity to share our satirical comments. I added mine:

The Zoo's At Silly Hall

$24.5M for a bunch of birds that can't even fly!?!? Where will the idiocy stop? We could have got some local species that could at least fly for a fraction of the cost instead of going with some fancy Antarctican bird that the Sun says is too extravagant for our little town of over one million culturally diverse people! More importantly, the city could have used this money to BARELY contribute to an infrastructure project in my neighbourhood! Unlike these excuses for birds, this council should just fly away! McIvor 4 lyfez!!!

Bigtime
Jul 30, 2009, 8:10 PM
I am glad to see that of our voters in the poll so far, you all appear to have souls! :haha:

Spring2008
Jul 30, 2009, 8:21 PM
There's no bias in the way the poll question was set up lol

Why not say yes though/

yeeg
Jul 30, 2009, 8:28 PM
This city needs an aquarium. Even something basic like the Seattle aquarium would be a fantastic start.

DizzyEdge
Jul 30, 2009, 9:17 PM
^ return it to the Brewery grounds ;) :drunk:

Vascilli
Jul 30, 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm the only soulless voter, I'd rather have a nice rabbit exhibit. (With Flemish Giants)

Bigtime
Jul 31, 2009, 12:18 AM
2 souless forumers!

It's flamewar time Vascilli, penguins own hares all the way!

Vascilli
Jul 31, 2009, 12:39 AM
Penguins are neither as fast nor as smart as hares.

Blader
Jul 31, 2009, 12:52 AM
As a predominantly linux user I have to love penguins. Hares are frequent visitors to my property. What's wrong with loving both!!

Riise
Jul 31, 2009, 3:13 AM
Penguins are neither as fast nor as smart as hares.

Yet the Penguin is one of Batman's biggest enemies.

Penguins 1 - Hares 0

Bigtime
Jul 31, 2009, 3:40 AM
I bet penguins have bigger box office in movies than any hare or rabbit films.

Scoreboard! :D

Penguins shall inherit the Earth:
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2637/futurama5bthebirdbotoficecatraz5d20055ko4.jpg

Ferreth
Jul 31, 2009, 3:53 AM
Rabbits: Run away!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

freeweed
Jul 31, 2009, 4:18 AM
I can't believe I'm reading a "vs" thread about bunnies vs penguins.

frinkprof
Jul 31, 2009, 4:28 AM
Sweet. I love penguins.

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/images/5/57/Penguins.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/image005.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/image009.jpg

Spring2008
Jul 31, 2009, 4:40 AM

Impossible is nothing at ssp

Vascilli
Jul 31, 2009, 5:22 AM

Scoreboard! :D

Penguins shall inherit the Earth:]

Yeah, and G-Force pulled in over $30m in a single week. Does that mean it was a good movie? :D

Riise
Jul 31, 2009, 6:39 AM

And in it you'll find more coherent and researched arguments than the Herald's comments sections.

Penguins shall inherit the Earth...

These mofos aren't screwing around!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2901757434_ebbcfeb5ca.jpg

Riise
Jul 31, 2009, 6:43 AM
Oh yeah,

Penguins 3
Batman Villain
Box Office Success
Armed Forces

Hares 1
Not Associated With Sydney Crosby

Vascilli
Jul 31, 2009, 7:04 AM
Hares win. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlerxisk1aw?from=Main.EverythingsBetterWithBunnies)

MichaelS
Jul 31, 2009, 2:50 PM

A certain Bugs Bunny comes to mind.....

Having said that, I still side with Penguins.

Bigtime
Jul 31, 2009, 8:46 PM
Penguins don't need to fly, because when they move they actually move the earth around them. :cool:

Ayreonaut
Aug 9, 2009, 5:31 AM
Penguins are neither as fast nor as smart as hares.Hares can't carry eggs on their feet. :frog:

I can't believe I'm reading a "vs" thread about bunnies vs penguins.I'm just rather fond of this sentence, so I quoted it again.

vid
Aug 9, 2009, 6:36 AM
Imagine the outrage if two of them turned out to be gay.

Ayreonaut
Aug 10, 2009, 6:13 AM
My grade 12 physics class had a half hour discussion on gay Danish seagulls.

Bigtime
Dec 2, 2009, 4:31 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead with some new information:

Funding brings Calgary Zoo penguin exhibit a step closer to reality
Calgary Herald December 2, 2009 8:53 AM

CALGARY - The Calgary Zoo nudged one step closer Tuesday to starting construction on a new penguin exhibit, as a city committee approved releasing $14.5 million from a fund allotted to the zoo.

After the zoo actually receives the grant, site work is expected to begin in January on Antarctic Landing for a projected opening in mid-2011, zoo spokeswoman Laurie Herron said.

The project is a dramatically scaled-down version of the Arctic Shores project, which was to feature polar bears, otters and other cold-weather creatures. After construction costs ballooned in the boom years, the zoo scaled back its ambitious plans.

Antarctic Landing will cost $24.5 million, one-fifth of what the larger project would have cost. It will feature four species of sub-Antarctic penguins, as well as a new gift shop.

City council had committed five years ago to give the Calgary Zoo expansion money. Tuesday's committee decision was purely procedural, and did nothing to change the zoo's construction plans.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Link (http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Funding+brings+Calgary+penguin+exhibit+step+closer+reality/2293416/story.html)

Innersoul1
Dec 2, 2009, 5:24 PM
Hey Aaron, I like the second last picture of you. It looks as though you are pondering chopping off your arm at the elbow to feed the penguin!

lubicon
Dec 2, 2009, 7:05 PM
Penguins of Madegascar!!

DizzyEdge
Dec 2, 2009, 7:16 PM
It will feature four species of sub-Antarctic penguins, as well as a new gift shop.

We shouldn't be bringing in Antarctic penguins when some local penguins could do just a good a job without the high price tag :hell:

freeweed
Dec 2, 2009, 9:31 PM
sub-Antarctic? What's further south than the south pole?

frinkprof
Dec 2, 2009, 9:47 PM
^I presume the "Antarctic" being referred to is the Antactic Circle line of latitude, not the south pole.

Bigtime
Dec 2, 2009, 10:46 PM

^I presume the "Antarctic" being referred to is the Antactic Circle line of latitude, not the south pole.

I think you are right Frinkprof. Sub-Antarctic penguins would be types like the Adelie, Gentoo, and King. I believe the Emperor penguin may be a true Antartic penguin, due to it living in the coldest reaches of the continent.

vid
Dec 5, 2009, 3:06 AM

It's called Sub-Antarctic because Super-Antarctic sounds silly. If you flipped the map so that south was on top (some maps do that, it's fairly common in the southern hemisphere) then it would make sense to you.

freeweed
Dec 5, 2009, 5:10 AM
It's called Sub-Antarctic because Super-Antarctic sounds silly. If you flipped the map so that south was on top (some maps do that, it's fairly common in the southern hemisphere) then it would make sense to you.

If you did that, Canada would also be sub-Antarctic. ;) It's just a funny language convention wherein most uses of the sub- prefix refer to "below", as opposed to other, less common meanings. Geography is one of the few fields to use sub- in this context, and it's good for a laugh to poke fun at our oh-so-consistent language.

And no, it's not "fairly common" for anyone to make upside-down maps. Maps for centuries were generally the orientation we see them today (there were exceptions pointing all over the place); it's only in very recent decades that anyone has even thought about inverting them. Sort of a "South Power!" sort of gesture. They're made to show a point that north-up maps are a historical fluke. No civilization in the southern hemisphere made any sort of map remotely comparable to anything we have today; all of their maps and map-making conventions were imported from Europe/Asia (and the Arab world).

Bigtime
Jun 28, 2010, 2:04 PM
Construction has begun on the Penguin exhibit!

Penguin exhibit presses ahead
Zoo officials downplay criticism

By Jamie Komarnicki, with files from Richard Cuthbertson, Calgary Herald, For the Calgary Herald June 28, 2010 7:02 AM

Tough criticism of the Calgary Zoo's approach to expanding its collection won't stop the facility from plunging ahead with a new, $24.5-million penguin exhibit.

Construction is already underway on the Antarctic Landing exhibit, which will eventually feature as many as 90 penguins from four species.

"It's been thoroughly planned out and it's well underway," said zoo spokeswoman Laurie Herron.

The exhibit is expected to open in early 2012, she said.

The Calgary Zoo came under fire last week after a report -- requested by zoo officials following a series of deaths and animal mishaps -- revealed a number of problems at the facility.

Amid other concerns revealed by the review team of accredited zoo experts were issues over the Calgary Zoo's poor collection planning, which showed little focus, critics argued.

Herron said the penguin display has already undergone exhaustive planning for several years, noting the zoo has experts on hand to care for the penguins once they arrive and is planning to bolster its team of knowledgeable marine animal staff in the meantime.

Antarctic Landing is the lone piece of the ambitious Arctic Shores proposal to be constructed in the near future after the rest of the exhibit was scaled back due to soaring construction costs.

More at:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Penguin+exhibit+presses+ahead/3210733/story.html

Calgarian
Jun 28, 2010, 3:34 PM
I'm a ginger, therefore I have no soul, therefore I hate penguins! unless they're edible of course.

O-tacular
Jun 28, 2010, 6:19 PM
Not to get swept up in the general hysteria surrounding animal deaths at the zoo lately, but here's hoping they're properly prepared to handle the new penguin arrivals.

Ramsayfarian
Jun 28, 2010, 6:55 PM
Not to get swept up in the general hysteria surrounding animal deaths at the zoo lately, but here's hoping they're properly prepared to handle the new penguin arrivals.

They're going to be fully prepared. I've heard that they've already ordered the entire Bloom County collection of books as well as 2 copies of Penguins for Idiots.

O-tacular
Jun 28, 2010, 8:06 PM
They're going to be fully prepared. I've heard that they've already ordered the entire Bloom County collection of books as well as 2 copies of Penguins for Idiots.

Ahahaha!:haha: