PDA

View Full Version : Sac to get "3rd Saturdays"

sugit
Jul 13, 2009, 4:00 AM
About time...I think everyone has been asking for another "Saturday" event with the success of 2nd.

I think this will be a very good thing for K Street. The fact that it's pedestrian only might actually work to it's advantage for once.

Sac to get "3rd Saturdays"
by Suzanne Hurt, published on July 12, 2009 at 8:05PM
http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/10354/Sac_to_get_3rd_Saturdays

So -- you like Second Saturdays?

Do you like the way this local arts night has morphed into a street fair? Have you watched the event grow so big that you've hoped it could take over the central city more than once a month?

Your prayers may be answered this month when a new Saturday street fair debuts in Sacramento. Sponsored by Sacramento News & Review (SN&R), "Design Downtown" will bring mostly locally made or "do it yourself" (DIY) fashion and art to the K Street Mall from 3 to 9 p.m. every third Saturday starting July 18.

"We looked at the success of Second Saturday and said, 'Maybe that's something we can build on,' " said Clay Nutting, the sales and marketing manager for the paper. "We hope that it becomes a local, DIY kind of experience."

The weekly alternative paper is putting together "a creative block party" to bring more energy and business to the pedestrian mall, which is often nearly empty on weekends.

"No one's going to show up to see Sacramento News & Review," he said. "It's the vendors, it's the musicians, it's the businesses, it's the excitement of going out on a Saturday and doing something new."

SN&R has been working closely with the city and event partners -- the Hard Rock Cafe, as well as Cosmo Cafe and Social Nightclub, the former operated by Paragary Restaurant Group and the latter operated by Randy Paragary and Bob Simpson at The Cosmopolitan, 10th and K streets -- to get the event up and running in a short time. Beer makers Budweiser and Corona are event sponsors.

On Friday, SN&R staffers were still reaching out to other mall businesses to let them know about the event and how they can participate. Paragary Restaurant Group quickly became interested after canceling the Bloc Concert Series planned for last Saturdays at Marshall Park due to lack of profit. Few people went, especially to the June 27 concert that competed with other events that day, including SN&R's Music Fest and SAMMIES (Sacramento Area Music Awards) Ceremony.

In May, the concert series, Midfest Summer Celebration and Paragary Restaurant Group owner Randy Paragary came under fire from some Marshall Park residents and neighborhood groups. Residents expressed concern over impacts the events might have on the primarily residential neighborhood a few weeks after a Cinco de Mayo street party got out of hand outside Paragary's Centro Cocina Mexicana. Residents requested that the events be held downtown in a business district.

SN&R, a media sponsor for the concerts, was aware of the situation. But SN&R staff had already been planning the Third Saturday event, so its hasty launching isn't Paragary's attempt to meet residents' requests by moving the Bloc Concert to the mall, Nutting said.

"We looked at some of the concerns with events happening throughout town and thought that (K Street Mall) area might be more accepting of what we're looking to accomplish," Nutting said.

At the Seventh Street entrance to Westfield Downtown Plaza, the Hard Rock Cafe will hold a free, all-ages show featuring local teen bands on an inside stage from 3 to 6 p.m. Social will feature an after-party event with DJs. The main stage will be set up on 10th Street near the alley between K and J streets. Bands including The Kinetics, ZuhG and Musical Charis will play that stage after 5 p.m. Cosmo Cafe is extending its catering license to have a barbecue and beer garden.

Hard Rock Cafe staff think the event is "great," said Sales and Marketing Manager Kim Templeton.

"I think Sacramento has a lot of creative people, a lot of great artists, a lot of great musicians," she said. "I think K Street is a great area to bring some activity here."

The event will feature eclectic vendors selling fashion, jewelry, arts and crafts, while highlighting businesses on and around the mall. Some vacant storefronts plaguing the mall would ideally be used for art workshops, he said.

"Everybody knows K Street has had its ups and downs. (But) there are these really great high spots we want to accentuate," said Nutting.

At least 40 vendors are already on board to set up tables, booths and tents on the mall from Ninth to 11th streets and on 10th Street, which will be closed to vehicle traffic. Vendors range from local fashion designers and comic book artists to photographer Kenna Foster.

Nutting said he hopes street performers will get involved and he's encouraging other businesses to get musicians to play outside their storefronts. A jazz group is expected to play on a street corner.

By early Friday afternoon, the city's Parks and Recreation Department had awarded a conditional permit for the Design Downtown series. The official permit will be awarded as soon as SN&R gets insurance coverage for the event, said Recreation Superintendent Teresa Jackson, who oversees the department's special events office. A conditional permit allows an organizer to plan and advertise an event, she added.

A permit for the entire series will be awarded, rather than one for each date, because parks staff believe the mall will be a "good fit" for the event and crowd. Paragary Restaurant Group had to apply for a permit for each concert in the Bloc Concert Series so the city could evaluate whether Marshall Park could accommodate the crowd, Jackson said.

"With (K Street Mall) it's a much larger venue, so we don't have the same concerns with attendance," she said.

Off-duty Sacramento police officers have been hired to work the event. A sergeant will monitor the sound level, which will be established on the permit. The permit requires the beer garden to serve its last drink at 8:30 p.m. and the event to end at 9 p.m. No parking enforcement problems are anticipated.

SN&R also has worked with Sacramento Regional Transit (RT) District engineers to safely lay out the street fair without impeding light rail trains, which will be running every 15 minutes in both directions. Vendors will back up to storefronts and must be at least 10 feet from the tracks. Pedestrians must stay behind yellow warning tiles running on both sides of the track.

"We want to make sure the trains operate as they should and we want to make sure everybody is safe. The trains regularly operate in a pedestrian environment," said Alane Masui, RT's assistant general manager of marketing and communications. She encouraged people attending Design Downtown to use light rail.

"Light rail is the perfect way to travel to the event. It'll take you right to the event," she added.

Paragary Restaurant Group did not return phone calls.

As the event grows, SN&R will work with more businesses to find "creative ways" to tie them into Design Downtown, Nutting said. The paper wants to help businesses that are "sticking it out" on the mall despite the blight and the recession, he said.

"It's very organic. What it evolves into -- I'm just as excited as anybody to find out," he said.

Web
Jul 13, 2009, 4:10 AM
The Dt will need it with 3 furlough fridays by state workers(arnold still cannot add):hell:

tronblue
Jul 13, 2009, 5:34 AM
You may hate all those kids on their bikes, but their presence and involvement in this will make it feel safer for aging babyboomers to dish out their cash money along k street. Naturally this will blow up big as long as it stays safe and the party will go later at night. Remember 2nd saturday used to end at 9pm not long ago at all. Now if the city will just give away for free some of those empty shops to some of these young entrepreneurs to sell their wares through out the week. Wow novel idea.

wburg
Jul 13, 2009, 5:29 PM
Who hates all those kids on their bikes?

tronblue
Jul 13, 2009, 6:26 PM
Lots of people. Lots of cars. I specifically dislike the guy that rides the tricycle bike. That jerk takes up the whole side walk when he should be riding in designated bike lanes. I saw him almost run over two kids last sat night.

wburg
Jul 13, 2009, 6:31 PM
In that case, you will probably like this event better than 2nd Saturday--bicycles are not allowed on the K Street pedestrian mall.

Cynikal
Jul 13, 2009, 6:50 PM
They will be in a couple of months. And for the guy on a trike on the sidewalk, that is illegal. It is against City Code to ride a bike on the sidewalk except in residential areas.

innov8
Jul 13, 2009, 7:07 PM
Lots of people. Lots of cars.

Cars huh? :haha:

tronblue
Jul 13, 2009, 8:37 PM
Wburg, actually i've been avoiding certain aspects of 2nd Saturday. Too much cattle. Cynikal is totally right here. When I see people riding their bikes on sidewalks with large groups of people, i think, you're not 9 years old use your brain moron. If you feel so unsafe riding in the street, than just walk the bike full time so you can still be hip. Well let me be completely honest, riding on the side walk is always stupid. The side walk is the last place a driver will look before they run you over when they make right turns. In my mind its so much more unsafe than riding in a street without designated bike lanes.

I own 6 bikes and ride more than I drive. And yes cars do hate bikes cause they are skinny. Its an image thing. But really, ever ride in Manhattan?

wburg
Jul 13, 2009, 8:46 PM
tronblue: Not disagreeing with you, just wasn't sure where the comment "You may hate all those kids on their bikes" came from. As a pretty regular midtown/downtown pedestrian, I don't care much for bikes on the sidewalk either, especially on streets where there are designated bike lanes. I bike sometimes too, but I stay on the street rather than the sidewalk.

And yeah, I have started avoiding the main epicenter of Second Saturday lately too, not so much to avoid the crowd but because most of the interesting stuff is happening at smaller galleries away from the main epicenter (along 19th Street in particular.) The fact that SS goes so far afield is a definite sign that it should be expanded in both time and space.

tronblue
Jul 13, 2009, 9:08 PM
Wburg, it was just a general blanket remark not directed at anyone in particular. But I would argue that some folks might find those younger people disagreeable some how even though they are a great part of the energization of downtown and will hangout and live is sketchy places.

And you're right there is nothing really going on at 20th and j. Its always the same. Sometimes there is a glimmer. But, Solomon dubnick had better shows when they were on howe, but I guess they still have a buying audience so what do they care. I think places like the verge gallery have the most potential. Also, really tired of wellness centers trying to pass off as reputable galleries.

wburg
Jul 13, 2009, 9:37 PM
I wouldn't say there's nothing really going on at 20th and J, other than in the Yogi Berra "nobody goes there, it's too crowded" kind of way. The little Sacramento Rock & Roll History Museum on 20th reopened recently, which is kind of cool, and generally I like the shows at Bodytribe and some of the other small galleries/businesses. Often I just don't make it down that way.

On Saturday I spent the afternoon at a symposium on small-press "zines" in Oak Park and was going to the Crest later, so I didn't have time to visit any Second Saturday galleries. There's just too much to do in Sacramento these days to try to fit it all into one night.

NewToCA
Jul 13, 2009, 11:07 PM
Add a farmer's market to that mix, and you have a pretty close replica of what they do in San Luis Obispo.

I think it is a great idea myself, and would like to see a farmer's market element added to the concept.

tronblue
Jul 13, 2009, 11:36 PM
It was called thursday night market and it was successful for a time. I remember walking around once with some friends(skateboard in hand) and getting harassed by cops. It's not very clear anymore, but it was outside the old mountain and surf. But there was a lot of power-tripping going on. Lots of creeped out white folk. Interestingly enough one of those friends now usually patrols 2nd Saturday. I'm hoping people will be cool and not contort on the small things.

Hey Wburg, I found this old quote of yours ofs some website: " This successful experiment was cut short because, despite the city's best efforts, many of the people who came downtown to join in the fun were neither white nor wealthy. The city's failure is in trying to make downtown revitalization hinge entirely on wealthy people moving downtown, rather than making it an all-inclusive approach." I totally agree.

And this one is exactly what I was talking about earlier: "The city's ongoing effort for the past few decades has been to get wealthy whites to move back downtown, while not drawing anybody else. Part of why they fail is because drawing wealthy whites generally requires drawing youth first, which is part of the process some call "revitalization" and others call "gentrification." Thursday Night Market was tremendously successful at drawing people of all ages, social classes, and cultural groups. It also succeeded in drawing lots of youth of various social classes and cultural groups. The police panicked at the presence of youths of certain ethnic and cultural groups, and convinced the city to shut down Thursday Night Market due to safety concerns, and have been looking for a way to draw wealthy whites while simultaneously encouraging those of other socioeconomic classes and cultural/ethnic groups to remain within their, well, I believe the contemporary term is 'ethnoburb.'"

SactownTom
Jul 13, 2009, 11:42 PM
The Thursday Night Markets were stopped after Jim Pantages was killed after a Spider Smith gig at the Crest.

tronblue
Jul 13, 2009, 11:43 PM
Wburg, I meant the art. Its mostly just leftover 1980's and 1990's insipid regurgitated art. Its a hub for sure. Lots of gimmicks, like Lugi's pizza by the slice and that horrible Hare Krishna band.

tronblue
Jul 14, 2009, 12:05 AM
Not to be insensitive or anything, but what is the link between a murder robbery in the wee hours of the night outside a music venue have to do with the thursday night market. I'm sure it was one spoke in the wheel, but the market closed months later. I remember an artist that was murdered on del paso blvd for much the same thing and this was during del Paso's height when it dominated second saturdays in the 90's. The events were never closed. Del paso failed only because downtown took over.

SactownTom
Jul 14, 2009, 3:45 AM
I don't think you're being insensitive, I'm just stating a fact. The Thursday Night Markets started to be plagued with little random acts of violence. Folks started to express their concern that it wasn't being policed properly. After Jim was killed, Mayor Serna pulled his support, and that was that.

innov8
Jul 14, 2009, 3:47 AM
Thursday Night market was stopped because a threat of violence from
growing numbers of teenagers. About the same time Thursday Night Market
was going on Old Sac introduced "Thursday Night After Glow in Old
Sacramento" with live bands, extended store hours, train rides and other
festivities. It was designed to dovetail with Thursday Night Market and
hoped to claim a share of the wealth generated downtown. In 1999
Thursday Night Market was shrunk down and renamed "Summerfest" to make
it more enjoyable with more entertainment for families. Back in 1998 The
Downtown Partnership started closing its popular Thursday Night Market
because of an increasing group of teenage crowd-control problems. At one
point police officers mounted on horses started moving these kids out of
there when the sun light started to fade. It was estimated that at its peak,
17,000 people strolled down the K Street Mall at Thursday Night Market.

Jim Pantages died in 1995, Thursday Night Market closed in August 1999...
I don't see how he being robbed and shot caused the market to close four years later?

tronblue
Jul 14, 2009, 4:39 AM
Darn teenagers. I got a solution. Don't have kids.

SactownTom
Jul 14, 2009, 5:47 AM
I don't know when it officially ended, but after Jim died it was essentially over. I think the complaint at the time, even before Jim died was that the police didn't want to put resources into properly policing the event, and it quickly turned into a event with lots of criminal activity. I think the police and business interests have a better grasp of things now and know that these kinds of events our great for the city. I'm looking forward to this being a successful event.

innov8
Jul 14, 2009, 2:35 PM
I don't know when it officially ended, but after Jim died it was essentially over. I think the complaint at the time, even before Jim died was that the police didn't want to put resources into properly policing the event, and it quickly turned into a event with lots of criminal activity. I think the police and business interests have a better grasp of things now and know that these kinds of events our great for the city. I'm looking forward to this being a successful event.

It officially ended in August 1999 like I said. The Sacramento Downtown
Partnership sponsored it from 1993 till 1999. The last few years were when it
had the biggest turnouts, three after Jim Pantages died.

sugit
Jul 19, 2009, 8:45 PM
I was out of town yesterday...Anyone go? I'm interested to hear how it went.

wburg
Jul 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think the heat (it was like 106) kept some folks away, but apparently it was pretty busy--I didn't arrive until around 7:00 when it had dropped down to the high 90s. According to some friends who showed earlier, we missed most of the crowd, who turned out early despite the heat.

10th Street was blocked from L to J, there were vendors up and down 10th, K from 10th to 11th, and 11th from K to L, with a stage set up in front of Temple Coffee (which was closed, as the grand opening event of their new store was the same night.) There were bands and fashion shows, along with DJs, fire dancers and a roving comedy troupe.
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs167.snc1/6260_1086708132240_1362510751_30227820_4378392_n.jpg
We went for dinner at 9:00 as things were wrapping up, then came back through around 10:00 and there were still people on the street, both going to Parlare and Social and Cosmo and already getting in line for the Crest.

It wasn't New Year's Eve but they got a turnout, next month if it's not quite as ridiculously hot I would expect more people. It was a bit like Second Saturday except one didn't have to dodge traffic (other than the occasional light rail train.)

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs167.snc1/6260_1086708172241_1362510751_30227821_941858_n.jpg
The Sacramento News & Review is putting on this event--they are definitely looking to add more entertainment and vendors to spread things even farther up and down the mall.

sugit
Jul 20, 2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the pictures. For the first event, last minute notice and the heat, I looks like it went just fine. Great start.

Phillip
Jul 22, 2009, 4:36 AM
I was there around 5:30 pm and didn't stay long because of the heat. It was 105 and shade was hard to find. This woman was dancing to "Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire". It was a good first effort though on short notice and thanks to SN&R for sponsoring. There were more people there than this picture suggests.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/PhilipsPics/006-2.jpg

Web
Jul 22, 2009, 5:24 AM
Bud's!!!!!:cheers:

ozone
Jul 22, 2009, 4:19 PM
While I generally support any effort to get away from their TV I have to say that it doesn't look much different than 2nd Saturday, only that it's downtown. Where's that 'creativity' SNR's talk'n about? What about a different focus- like street theater?

As far as light rail goes.. I have advocated for creating a new LRT stop at 12th and K -so that the light-rail trains would run down K Street -ONLY during peak usage (or rush hour) and all the other times (and during special events) people would have to walk to either 12th or 8th streets to catch light rail. It's easy and wouldn't cost much. It would also help with the proposed re-introduction of cars.

As 2nd Saturday has become more popular (especially with the very suburban crowd) I've seen it morph into something that (for me) is less desirable. If that sounds snobish so be it. I've heard more than one person say that they think as the more suburban crowds have swelled they've ruined the spirit of it. Now they have even taken to bringing their bikes down here, getting drunk, riding their bikes down the sidewalks (because they don't feel safe on the street) and ringing their bells at us to move out of their way.

Surefiresacto
Jul 22, 2009, 4:41 PM
Not that I don't agree with you in that there has been a rise in D-Bags/stupid drunk people to 2nd Saturday (I might even qualify in your eyes as one of them), but this event has been successful in that it has brought additional headcount to the downtown area and has driven business. Midtown has seen growth whereas many parts of the greater Sacramento Area has seen the opposite. The growing number of people coming downtown to these types of events, and increased amount of business (taxes for the city), makes it possible to gain approval for, and have additional events in the downtown area (i.e. 3rd Saturday, St. Patrick's Day, multiple Cinco de Mayo events).

It is unfortunate, however, that it is kind of taking on the State Fair atmosphere.

ozone
Jul 22, 2009, 4:54 PM
Yes, yes ..of course you are right. I like crowds having fun and spending money. However, I think they could use lessons in urban etiquette. Like children need to be taught how to act in a restaurant. They need to understand that Midtown is a place where real people live and work and not some weekend playground. So no it's not OK to be 'hoopin and hollerin' at 2:00 in the morning down a residential street, and it's not OK to piss on our bushes, while you are making your way back to your car.

Surefiresacto
Jul 22, 2009, 4:58 PM
No kidding. I completely agree with you. Some people have no self awareness and no respect for others.

wburg
Jul 22, 2009, 5:20 PM
There was a certain amount of street theater at the Design Downtown event: the "ICUP" Comedy Troupe were doing skits in the street, often involving random passersby in the action, and the fire-dancing troupe moved around to several locations, performing for a while at 11th and K and then later at 10th and K. I hope they can draw more street musicians and street performers into the mix.

To a certain extent, this Third Saturday event doesn't need to be that different from Second Saturday--in fact, it is actually a little better-suited for the carnival/street-fair atmosphere that Second Saturday has become (vs. the art gallery/strolling atmosphere it used to have.) Suburban visitors seem to like that atmosphere, and K Street is really well-suited to that kind of event, even in its current form.

Speaking of events, there is another event coming up on the FIRST Saturday of next month, August 1: the California Auto Museum (formerly the Towe) is doing an event called "CAMBER" (California Auto Museum's Big Event on the Road), a street fair and classic car show. It starts in Midtown around 17th and I Street, and at around 5:00 PM, the cars will cruise down J Street to Sac State, where they will have a second event in the evening.

http://cambercruise.org/