PDA

View Full Version : Cheap thrills

bornagainbiking
Jul 8, 2009, 10:43 AM
Cheap thrills
TheSpec.com - living - Cheap thrills
It's Monday night and you're itching to get out of the house but your wallet is empty. Or it's Tuesday and you have a mean hankering for wings, but your paycheque has long since come and gone. If you're looking for entertainment, here are some free or inexpensive activities in and around town.

Rosie Grover
The Hamilton Spectator

(Jul 8, 2009)
MONDAYS

Crafty Mondays at the Sky Dragon, 27 King William St. Bring your knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery or any crafts you enjoy doing or learn a new craft with host Angelika. Free.

Free drop-in basketball camp, 9:15 to 10:30 a.m. for ages 10 to 14 until Aug. 19, Burlington Christian Reformed Church, 3422 New St., 905-634-0722.

$4 tallboys at Whistling Walrus, 1508 Upper James St.

$5 tallboys at Boston Pizza, 1565 Upper James St.

All-you-can-eat wing buffet, $10.83 at Honest Lawyer, 110 King St. W.

Mikeless Mondays at Tapestry Bistro, 27 Dundurn St. N. Open mike night for spoken word artists and musicians to hone their talent. Pay what you can.

TUESDAYS

39 cent chicken wings at Crabby Joe's, 1705 Main St. W.

39 cent chicken wings after 4 p.m. at End Zone Bar and Grill, 1900 King St. E.

Toonie Tuesday at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Individual chicken piece meals for $2.79.

Toonie Tuesday, Skyway Lanes, 235 Melvin Ave. From 5 p.m. to midnight, $2.22 a game (plus tax and $2.50 shoe rental), draft beer $2.22.

50 cent wings all day at Leghorns, 1375 King St. E.

Children's garden club free at Birge Park, Birge and Cheever streets, to all North End kids. Starts at 6 p.m., 905-523-6611, ext. 301.

WEDNESDAYS

Wacky Wednesdays at Bowlerama, 121 Highway 8, Stoney Creek, 9 p.m. to midnight, 50 cent bowling, $5 admission, $3 shoes.

Fool and Flagon, wings 69 cents all day, 2255 Barton St. E.

2 for 1 wings at Whiskey Joe's, 1115 Fennell Ave. E.

Low-impact exercise program with a certified instructor, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., $3, St. Christopher's, 662 Guelph Line, Burlington, 905-634-1809.

Free drop-in basketball camp, 9:15 to 10:30 a.m. for ages 10 to 14 until Aug. 19, Burlington Christian Reformed Church, 3422 New St., 905-634-0722.

THURSDAYS

Carload night at the Starlite Drive-in Theatre, $15, 59 Green Mountain Rd. E.

Bike night at Hooters, 1187 Upper James St. Bring your motorcycle and get a free pop and a discounted meal.

$10 domestic beer pitcher night at Crabby Joe's, 1705 Main St. W.

$10 domestic beer pitcher night, Whiskey Joe's, 1115 Fennell Ave. E.

$2 minipints at Honest Lawyer, 110 King St. W.

$4 mussels and crab cakes, Whistling Walrus, 1508 Upper James St.

Two new movie rentals for $6 at Steel City Videos.

The Seen, eclectic open stage at the Sky Dragon, 27 King William St., poetry, music, dance, spoken word for every age. Free.

Lost in the '50s at Pier 4 Park from 5 to 9 p.m., hosted by Cruzaders Classic Car Club, classic cars, live entertainment, children's play area, free.

Free Thursdays at Hamilton Children's Museum, 1072 Main St. E., 5 to 7:30 p.m., 905-546-4848.

FRIDAYS

Free adult floor hockey, 6 p.m. at the Eva Rothwell Centre, 460 Wentworth St. N.

Free admission to Art Gallery of Hamilton from 5 to 9 p.m., first Friday of the month

Low-impact exercise program with a certified instructor, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., $3, St. Christopher's, 662 Guelph Line, Burlington, 905-634-1809.

All-you-can-eat fish and chips $7.99 at Wimpy's Diner, 771 Queenston Rd.

Martini Fridays, $4 at Crabby Joe's, 1705 Main St. W.

SATURDAYS

Free guided tours, 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., at EcoHouse, an environmental education demonstration building operated by Green Venture, 22 Veevers Dr.

SUNDAYS

Visit the Friends of the Aviary, 1 to 4 p.m., Oak Knoll Drive, free, 905-546-4842 or www.friendsoftheaviary.ca

Free outdoor music concert series, 7 p.m., Fieldcote Memorial Park and Museum, 64 Sulphur Springs Rd., Ancaster, 905-648-8144.

Industry staff night at Tapestry Bistro, 27 Dundurn St. N. Show your pay stub and receive reduced draft prices and green plate specials from 8 to 11 p.m.

Kids under 12 eat free accompanied by an adult at Cafe Limoncello, 226 Ottawa St. N.

Sinful Sundays at Honest Lawyer, 25 per cent off entire menu, food and drinks, 110 King St. W.

EVERY DAY

Affordable Transit Pass Program offers an adult monthly bus pass from the Hamilton Street Railway for half price. Discounts include a free family pass at the YMCA. Visit www.environmenthamilton.org for an application. Passes are limited -- first come, first served.

Talize, 1400-1428 Upper James St., 905-318-2376, offers 10 per cent off to students and seniors.

Eat free on your birthday (bring government identification) at Tuckers Marketplace, 3110 South Service Rd., Burlington.

Kiwanis Boys and Girls Club, 45 Ellis Ave., provides a free, healthy snack for the first 100 children every day after school.

Do you know of any free or inexpensive activities taking place in the city weekly? Drop us an e-mail at rgrover@thespec.com
:banana: :banana:

Jon Dalton
Jul 8, 2009, 5:14 PM
EVERYDAY:
$3.50 pints and $11 pitchers of GOOD beer at Academica on James North.

markk
Jul 8, 2009, 7:13 PM
2 for 1 burritos at Che (Hess Village) every tuesday.

I haven't been in a little while, but this is a sweet deal.

bornagainbiking
Jul 9, 2009, 3:38 AM
Squires Mondays $4 pints and 2 for 1 wings.
Come by chance $5.25 small jugs and great lunch specials
Cagneys Tues $3.50 a lb and same Thursday with $2.75 bottle.
Cros eyed Bo's $4 Tall boys every afternoon.
:cheers: :cheers:
Remember a hungry man may eat 3 lbs of wings so Kelseys $15 all you can eat is $5-$7.50 a lb big deal.
Check out Tailgates Friday Jackson and John at 5 p.m. for the surprise................ Dog up

bornagainbiking
Sep 18, 2009, 1:35 AM
Last week i decided on a quest to visit taverns and rate the wing specials.
I started tonight at Cagneys around supper time and the wings are $3.75 and domestic bottles $2.75. sounded good.
So I order 3 lbs and the beer is luke (urine) warm the cold certified mountain is white not blue, so I try another brand. warmer still.
maybe mention it to the waitress, they say (2 of them) we just work here. We get the beer from the same place. (did no body{staff} stock the fridge for the rush) If I wanted warm beer I would buy it at the beer store and drink it out of my trunk. I noticed the white mountain vice blue when my Coor's arrived and mentioned the indicator to my waitress. She told me that if I hold my hand over the blue mountain it will turn white. WOW..... Duh no need the beer was warm and not my the customer's fault.
so the staff are clueless to meeting the needs of the customer and if you want the special, it is warm beer (sorry didn't read that on the sign).Total crap experience and I go there on occasion but never again.
Do establishments not understand competition. You can guess the amount of my tip for service rendered. Cagneys never again, my friend boycooted it 2 yrs ago and now I can see what he was saying. :hell: :hell: :hell:
Endzone (eastend) is improving on staff and customer interaction. :banana:

coalminecanary
Sep 18, 2009, 12:15 PM
2 for 1 burritos at Che (Hess Village) every tuesday.

I haven't been in a little while, but this is a sweet deal.

I thought they weren't doing this anymore