PDA

View Full Version : Calgary considering hosting the NHL Winter Classic

Chinook Arch
Jun 19, 2009, 2:56 PM
Apparently Calgary is in discussions about this.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Calgary Classic in works
Sources say Flames may play outdoor game at McMahon in coming season

By RANDY SPORTAK, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 19th June 2009, 3:05am
Sun sources have confirmed the NHL and Calgary Flames have put the wheels in motion to host a New Year's Day Winter Classic game at McMahon Stadium this coming season.

National Hockey League officials have visited the home of the Stampeders in anticipation of holding a game there, but have not yet put a contract in place with the McMahon Stadium Society to hold an outdoor game Jan. 1, 2010.

McMahon holds more than 35,600 fans for football games, but with the Grey Cup game scheduled for Nov. 29, extra bleachers will have seating for more than 45,000.

Flames president Ken King last night wouldn't confirm a report from ESPN The Magazine the league is planning for a Winter Classic game in Calgary.

"I've heard some rumblings and I think it would be a great idea, but I can't confirm that," King said.

"If that idea comes to fruition, I think it would be wonderful. Everybody we hear from in our audience seems to think it would be a wonderful idea as well."

King has said on several occasions the Flames would be interested in hosting an outdoor game.

He has added the importance of making the event particularly unique to Calgary.

"We've worked on some creative and unique ideas, yeah," he said yesterday.

The NHL will announce its plans for the next Winter Classic in mid-July, said a league official. According to sources, the proposal is to hold an outdoor double-header.

Boston is believed to be holding one game at Fenway Park -- with Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals believed to be the team that will face the Bruins.

Calgary's game would be the second half, with an all-Canadian matchup the likely scenario.

The Flames have hosted Edmonton on New Year's Eve the past several seasons.

However, a game against Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal would mean a bigger media market.

The Edmonton Oilers played host to the Montreal Canadiens in November 2003 in a wildly successful venture that has spawned more outdoor regular season games.

Because of the NHL's inclusion in the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, there will be no all-star game, so a second outdoor game would give the league some of that lost profile.

After the success of the Edmonton game held at Commonwealth Stadium, the Buffalo Sabres played host to the Pittsburgh Penguins at Ralph Wilson Stadium in 2008, and this past season the Chicago Blackhawks and the Detroit Red Wings played at Wrigley Field.

Both games in the U.S. had very strong television ratings.

RANDY.SPORTAK@SUNMEDIA.CA

jeffwhit
Jun 19, 2009, 3:24 PM
TSN has it too: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282276

A BOA would be great, but I'm thinking Vancouver or Colorado are more likely, since Edmonton's already done one. Hopefully, they leave the temporary bleachers up after the Grey Cup so McMahon doesn't look so bush-league.

You Need A Thneed
Jun 19, 2009, 4:31 PM
Hopefully, they leave the temporary bleachers up after the Grey Cup so McMahon doesn't look so bush-league.

I imagine they will do so.

Big Sky
Jun 19, 2009, 5:55 PM
I like the idea of it being hosted in Calgary, I'm also wondering if there getting to be too many of them. They're talking about having two next year. I hope the novelty doesn't wear off.

Coldrsx
Jun 19, 2009, 8:29 PM
I like the idea of it being hosted in Calgary, I'm also wondering if there getting to be too many of them. They're talking about having two next year. I hope the novelty doesn't wear off.

i say the more the better... why not!

It is how we grew up learning how to skate and playing on community rinks.

I hope Calgary plays Edmonton but i would guess it is more likely a Toronto or Vancouver kinda thing.

How cool would it be for The Flames to play the old Flames city of Atlanta though.

You Need A Thneed
Jun 19, 2009, 8:35 PM
i say the more the better... why not!

It is how we grew up learning how to skate and playing on community rinks.

I hope Calgary plays Edmonton but i would guess it is more likely a Toronto or Vancouver kinda thing.

How cool would it be for The Flames to play the old Flames city of Atlanta though.

It sounds like Toronto is the likely opp.

jeffwhit
Jun 20, 2009, 2:25 PM
It sounds like Toronto is the likely opp.

Yep, looks that way: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/outdoor-game-between-flames-leafs-in-works/article1190464/

Deepstar
Jun 21, 2009, 12:38 AM
Calgary and Edmonton would be the most exciting match up, but ratings wise, I can see why it would be the Leafs.

Yume-sama
Jun 21, 2009, 1:02 AM
If Toronto is the opponent it's one of those "You've got to be kidding me... " moments. It suddenly becomes ALL about Toronto, and slightly about Calgary. One could even assume the only reason they elected to let Calgary have it is because Toronto can not open the SkyDome during the Winter. It will be a disgusting sea of blue (think 20,000 flames fans, 25,000 leafs fans, assuming they still have the temporary seating from the Grey Cup) just like when they come to the Saddledome. I'd MUCH rather it be Edmonton or Vancouver. Heck, bring back the New Years tradition of it being the Habs, just... NOT THE LEAFS :P Leafs suck. Rant over.

frinkprof
Jun 21, 2009, 1:17 AM
^Yeah I think it puts a bit of a damper on it in that respect. I think Vancouver would have been the optimal opponent, and Colorado or Minnesota would have been good as well. Edmonton and Montreal have already played in winter classics. Toronto could be interesting in that there will be a measure of fans for both sides, which could be a good dynamic. However, you just know that you'll get that rinkside segment with Don Cherry saying something like "It's great to be here in Calgary, seeing the game played outdoors the way it started. Ron, you know I like the take-no-prisoners style these Flames play, but I've got to pick Tyrranna to win!" Uggh.

Ferreth
Jun 21, 2009, 3:28 AM
with Don Cherry saying something like "It's great to be here in Calgary, seeing the game played outdoors the way it started. Ron, you know I like the take-no-prisoners style these Flames play, but I've got to pick Tyrranna to win!" Uggh.

Being Toronto, and being Don Cherry predicting a Toronto win, the Flames could pretty much be guaranteed a win outta that one :yes:

Jay in Cowtown
Jun 21, 2009, 4:56 AM
I just read that the NHLPA is probably going to vote against a second Winter Classic game next year. (that being Calgary)

Coldrsx
Jun 26, 2009, 4:14 PM
sorry boys

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282859

Cowtown_Tim
Jun 26, 2009, 6:27 PM
I'm not actually too bummed out about this. I'd love to see Calgary do a winter classic, but frankly I'd rather they weren't doing it the same day as another one. I'd rather wait a year or two, if that's what it takes.

frinkprof
Jun 27, 2009, 4:12 AM
Nevermind.

Slug
Jun 27, 2009, 8:03 AM
I'm really hoping for a Calgary Vancouver outdoor game, Toronto can play Ottawa. But I don't see this this realistically occurring until the NHL has milked the NE US market dry. I would also imagine the ice guys would be absolutely terrified by our Chinooks.

wild wild west
Jun 27, 2009, 5:54 PM
yes, it would be quite amusing if we had a winter classic and it was +15.

Still, would have been nice to have it here as the temporary seating would be in place from the Grey Cup to accomodate a big crowd. I have to wonder now if they'll shaft us for good, or at least until we host another Grey Cup.

And, yeah, it should be vs. the Canucks or Oilers.

ST1
Jun 27, 2009, 6:25 PM
I don't think seating would be an issue. Right now is an opportune time to do it, but if they can put in extra seats to host a Grey cup, they can do it for a winter classic. the ratings would be high enough to warrant it.

yes, it would be quite amusing if we had a winter classic and it was +15.

Still, would have been nice to have it here as the temporary seating would be in place from the Grey Cup to accomodate a big crowd. I have to wonder now if they'll shaft us for good, or at least until we host another Grey Cup.

And, yeah, it should be vs. the Canucks or Oilers.