PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Red Bull X-Fighters

Riise
May 12, 2009, 6:28 PM
http://www.redbull.co.za/mime/1205318886511-1371533121/hl_2_3/260707MC06.jpg

Red Bull X-Fighters - May 30, 2009 - Calgary, AB

The Greatest Show On Earth
Red Bull X-Fighters makes its first stop in Canada! The world’s best and most important freestyle motocross series will be kicking up the dirt and good times in Calgary, Alberta – the heart of the “New West” on May 30, 2009.

The location for the event is the historic Calgary Stampede Park Grounds, home of the world famous Calgary Stampede. Known as “The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth,” the Calgary Stampede welcomes a worthy tenant – Red Bull X-Fighters and the world’s best freestyle motocross athletes.

moliFf1AUUM

Red Bull X-Fighters 2009 World Tour revving up for first-ever Canadian stop at Calgary Stampede Park
The world's premiere freestyle motocross series will be kicking up dirt and good times in Calgary on May 30!

TORONTO, March 19 /CNW/ - The Red Bull X-Fighters experience charges onto Canadian soil for the first time ever at Calgary Stampede Park on May 30, 2009, giving FMX fans the thrill of a lifetime. Five countries, 170,000 spectators and 1,130 jumps - those are a few of the high-flying numbers riding with Red Bull X-Fighters. The real story is in the concept: accelerate motorsport to the ultimate level and combine it with creative orchestration at iconic locations. In addition to returning stops in Mexico City, Fort Worth, Texas, and Madrid, this year Red Bull X-Fighters introduces the best in FMX to Calgary and London, UK - two cities that aren't strangers to huge icons and high-octane.

GREATEST FMX RIDERS MEET "GREATEST SHOW"

On May 30, 2009, Calgary will be witness to a new type of wild ride, albeit at a familiar venue. Red Bull X-Fighters will make its Canadian debut in none other than the historic Calgary Stampede Park Grounds, home to the world famous Stampede, the 10-day festival, exhibition and rodeo that attracts over a million visitors from early to mid-July every year. Known as simply "The Greatest Show on Earth", the Stampede welcomes a worthy tenant when Red Bull X-Fighters and the international freestyle motocross elite come to town. With record-breaking crowds and no shortage of thrills and spills, the annual Calgary Stampede has plenty in common with X-Fighters, and the world's best FMX fighters are champing at the bit to throw down a high-octane rodeo of their own!

TOURING TOROS

Among the athletes leading the historic two-wheel charge into Calgary are Jeff Fehr, the first-ever Canadian to compete in Red Bull X-Fighters, 2008 Tour Champion Mat Rebeaud of Switzerland, distance world record-holder and Vegas fave Robbie Maddison, as well as rising star Dany Torres.

Indeed, despite the breathtaking staging and spectacular shows, the sporting battles remain at the centre of attention. The duels between eventual champion Mat Rebeaud of Switzerland and American Jeremy Stenberg; Rebeaud's incredible round in Texas with 10 backward flips; the first 540 by Sweden's
Fredrik Johansson in Madrid; Norwegian Andre Villa's horrifying crash in Rio; and the thrilling come-from-behind challenge by young Spaniard Dany Torres, who crowned his strong season with a victory in Warsaw.

The third season kicks off with a start that has become a tradition - Mexico City - on March 27. After that the competition packs up and wanders north of the 49th with the second stop of the season in Calgary (May 30) before moving back south to Texas for a return to Dallas/Fort Worth (June 27). The European leg of the tour starts with a double event in Madrid (July 16-17) and concludes in London on August 22.

According to Tes Sewell, tour sports director, last year's successful format, 'Rookies against Heroes', has been developed even further for this year: "Instead of four top-seeded riders we'll have eight this year who will duel it out with the local challengers."

Rebeaud is ready for the challenge: "It's insane how fast the sport is growing." On his greatest challenger in 2009: "We'll know more after the first training session in Mexico, but I would think it's going to be Dany Torres - no one improved as much as he did over the course of the last season!"

TICKETING INFORMATION
Tickets are available for purchase now at www.ticketmaster.ca.

Ticket prices are as follows:
Standing $20
Grandstand $25 - $37.50
Infield Grandstand $40

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For further information, photos, video clip as well as rider biographies please visit www.redbullxfighters.com.

RED BULL X-FIGHTERS WORLD TOUR RIDER LIST

[CAN] Jeff Fehr
[AUS] Robbie Maddison
[MEX] Johan Nungaray
[FRA] Thomas Pages
[CZE] Petr Pilat
[JAP] Eigo Sato
[AUS] Cameron Sinclair
[USA] Jeremy Stenberg
[ESP] Dany Torres
[NOR] Andre Villa
[SUI] Mat Rebeaud

RED BULL X-FIGHTERS WORLD TOUR DATES

27/03/09 Mexico City, MEX (Plaza de Toros)
30/05/09 Calgary, CAN (Calgary Stampede Park)
27/06/09 Fort Worth, USA (Stockyard)
16/07/09 Madrid, ESP (Plaza de Toros de las Ventas)
17/07/09 Madrid, ESP (Plaza de Toros de las Ventas)
22/08/09 London, UK (TBD)

© 2005 CNW Group Ltd. (http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2009/19/c2401.html)

Image Source: Redbull.ca

Bigtime
May 12, 2009, 6:30 PM
Now if only the Red Bull air races would come to Calgary... :slob:

It is always great to see world wide events making stops in our city.

Vascilli
May 12, 2009, 10:48 PM

It is always great to see world wide events making stops in our city.

I want to fly out to Windsor just for that, even though it's when my finals begin.

Riise
May 13, 2009, 10:07 PM

My question would be, where would we hold it? According to the Wiki article on them, "The races are held mainly over water near cities, but also at airfields or natural wonders. They are accompanied by a supporting program of show flights." I'm guessing a large flat area close to the Rockies... Does anybody know if this kind of area exists?

I'm almost, pleasantly, surprised by the initiative it took to get the X-Fighters here. It would be super cool if we became the first city to host all of the Red Bull events in the same year!

Vascilli
May 13, 2009, 10:40 PM
My question would be, where would we hold it? According to the Wiki article on them, "The races are held mainly over water near cities, but also at airfields or natural wonders. They are accompanied by a supporting program of show flights." I'm guessing a large flat area close to the Rockies... Does anybody know if this kind of area exists?

I'm almost, pleasantly, surprised by the initiative it took to get the X-Fighters here. It would be super cool if we became the first city to host all of the Red Bull events in the same year!

The Badlands around Drumheller would sure look good.

Innersoul1
May 14, 2009, 4:51 PM
X-Fighters is going to be dope! I would be there with bells on but I am in Italy. May seems early for this to be happening! I hope that the weather is good! I think that it will be a fantastic event!

The Red Bull Air Races are SICK! My wife and I have decided that it is one sporting event that should be shown NON-STOP at Pubs!

Riise
May 14, 2009, 6:17 PM
The Badlands around Drumheller would sure look good.

Indeed it would, that would be a great location!

Bigtime
May 19, 2009, 2:59 PM
Drumheller area would be sweet, but from a purely logistical point of view you can't go wrong with the Springbank airport. Drumheller's field just couldn't handle the traffic.