PDA

View Full Version : London International Airport

Pages : [1] 2 3

ldoto
Apr 20, 2009, 3:06 AM
London airport lands museum to stow and show vintage jets

Sat, April 18, 2009

The Jet Aircraft Museum will be housed in a hangar at London International Airport

Dust is unlikely to collect on the exhibits in London's latest museum.

The first three "exhibits" blasted into town this week as the Jet Aircraft Museum set up shop in a hangar at London International Airport.

The CT-133 Thunderbird jets will soon be joined by three more in a new venture in which the vintage aircraft will be housed and maintained in London and also sent to air shows far and wide.

"It's all about saving heritage," says Rick Hammond, an executive member of the museum. "There are many air museums, but this is a unique one. We're going to try to have enough of these aircraft to go to air shows and do some formation flying."

The new organization is inspired by the 24-year-old, Tillsonburg-based Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association, which has preserved the propeller-driven trainers.

Bob Hewitt of Woodstock, founding president of the association who also chairs the museum's board, picked up the first surplus Thunderbirds from the Canadian Forces in Trenton.

London was chosen as the museum's home because of the length of its runways, support from the airport authority and what Hammond calls "a great landlord" who owns the hangar.

The Thunderbird is a two-seat trainer built in Montreal by Canadair. It was the workhorse trainer for the Canadian Armed Forces for about 50 years. Thousands of them were built.

The museum has already acquired 11 spare Rolls Royce engines that power the aircraft.

The museum hopes to attract 500 members across Canada to pay the $100 membership fee. It's also on the hunt for aviation enthusiasts to be museum volunteers.

After the planes are made airworthy, membership and volunteer base established, Hammond said, steps will be taken to open the hangar to the public.

He said fees paid to appear at various air shows shouldn't cover only the costs of doing so, but should also raise money that can be set aside to upgrade the museum and help fund further acquisitions.

The first air show the museum's jets will fly to is the Canadian Aviation Expo May 1 and 2 at the Canadian Warplane Museum in Hamilton.

Further information on the museum can be found at www.jetaircraftmuseum.ca. :D

sparky212
Apr 21, 2009, 9:29 PM
Yay London got a air museum the 3 in ontario:banana: :banana:

ldoto
Apr 22, 2009, 2:55 AM
:previous: Yes and there’s more to come!!!!:yes:

ldoto
Apr 23, 2009, 2:30 AM
Update!!!!

London International Airport and Air Canada announced today the launch of new daily Air Canada service between London and Calgary starting June 1, 2009.:cheers:

Check out the pdf link!!!!
http://www.londonairport.on.ca/news/AirCanadaCalgaryJan09.pdf

Stevo26
Apr 25, 2009, 1:15 PM
This is great news. Aircraft museums are always great tourist draws. At least in London's case, even a small aircraft museum would be light years ahead of that sad excuse for a tourist attraction we have now - i.e. Storybook Gardens.

As for daily Air Canada flights from London to Calgary, also very good news, but it's nothing really new, since Westjet has had practically daily service to Calgary since day one.

To my way of thinking, London International Airport has a better chance of becoming a major cargo hub than a passenger hub simply because Hamiltonalready fills that role well due to its proximity to Toronto. By the same token, increasing passenger flights out of London airport will definitely take the pressure off Pearson International Airport and provide economic benefit for London.

SlickFranky
Apr 25, 2009, 11:14 PM
Stupid question:
Does anyone know why the airport doesn't use the jet-ways? Why they use the rolling stairs, even on the bigger planes?

MolsonExport
Apr 26, 2009, 1:47 AM
aircraft museum: good stuff. London needs more attractions...there is practically butt-fuck all to do here when the weather is incliment. And Storybook gardens sucks dogshit.

ldoto
May 9, 2009, 4:25 AM
Airport plan may take flight

Fri, May 8, 2009

Shut out of government stimulus money, a bid to transform London's airport into a major cargo hub may fly with cash from another kitty.

A promised federal agency to help recession-hit southern Ontario, with $1 billion to spend, could be another way to try to tap money to get the $21-million project off the ground, the airport head says.

Steve Baker, president of London International Airport, said the airport is working with the city to come up with alternate funding for the bid to create a global cargo gateway.

"We're very confident the project will continue," he said after yesterday's annual general meeting of the civilian authority that operates the airport.

One option, he said, may be the Southern Ontario Development Agency, promised in the recent federal budget to help manufacturing-heavy southern Ontario in the recession.

"We're trying to come up with a new strategy for London," Baker said.

"There are so many displaced workers who need to find employment. This is an ideal opportunity to turn them into logistics supporters."

An economic gateway proposal -- airport expansion, plus highway and other upgrades -- had been the centrepiece of city hall's early thinking how to tap the rivers of government cash going out to help municipalities with public works amid this year's brutal economic downturn.

The idea was to take advantage of London's close proximity to key U.S. markets, the 400-series highway system and favourable tax rulings allowing cargo to transit through the airport between other nations.

But when push came to shove, the needed airport spending -- the project would have involved work on the airport site, and servicing up to its property line -- didn't qualify for federal money for municipalities and wasn't included on London's wish list of projects worth $137 million.

Still, with all three levels of government backing the project, the airport and the city are looking for other sources of funding, Baker said. "There's many opportunities to secure funding and we're pursuing those avenues," he added.

His optimism was echoed by Gabe Valente, who chairs the airport authority's board.

"We feel it would be an economic catalyst for the city and region, but we're confident we'll find a way to continue to develop here at the airport," he said.

Valente said he was concerned about some of the federal rules for the stimulus money, but had hoped that wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

At yesterday's meeting, Baker told the board WestJet will start direct daily service from London to Halifax and Vancouver Monday with planes that can hold up to 170 passengers. The flights will run seven days a week, all year.

Air Canada, meanwhile, will start direct daily flights to Calgary on a 140-passenger jet.

"We've really marketed our catchment area to all of Southwestern Ontario," said Baker, noting 55% of passengers on flights out of the airport come from outside the city.

Snark
May 10, 2009, 6:00 AM
aircraft museum: good stuff. London needs more attractions...there is practically butt-fuck all to do here when the weather is inclement. And Storybook gardens sucks dogshit.

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.
Your expertise is required in this field, especially since you've lived in this area what, 3 or 4 years?

There was a full reenactment of the battle of Longwoods last weekend involving hundreds of participants. Since you have not lived in this area for very long, I'll just add that this was a pivotal moment in local history - and it is a story worthy of a film in fact. And then there is the Shunpiker tour this weekend as well. Not good enough? Perhaps it's too "hick" for a sophisticate such as yourself.

And... Storybook Gardens is intended for 7 year-olds. For an adult to proclaim that it sucks is pretty lame on your part. What sucks is that 7 year olds no longer find any wonder in animals any more, and find only first person shooter video games worthy of attention.

If this town is so awful, as your constant posts repeat ad nausium, why don't you just leave southwestern Ontario? Really. You never have anything good to say about London or this part of the province, so why would you wish to live here? Is it just the job at the University and the money that comes with it?

I almost never read anything about how things ought to be improved, including a plan on how to do so - only complaining about stuff.

That's the difference between winners and losers. :hell:

MolsonExport
May 10, 2009, 2:24 PM
Snark, shove it. I am not getting personal with you; why do you always take any criticism against London personally? Or, are you really WaterlooInvestor under another guise?

great post, by the way.

GreatTallNorth2
May 10, 2009, 8:46 PM
Hey guys...chill. I think that we as Londoners have to face the reality that our city has been in a rut for a long time and there is no hope in sight. We have no real attractions (sorry Snark), but London has no major draw that anyone would drive to come to. We have poor transportation and poor transit. We were once a thriving business centre and now we have lost many head offices. We have little to celebrate in nicely designed buildings. And lastly we have no one in sight with vision for our city. Our Mayor wants to become the next Hazel McCallium (or however you spell her name). If this happens, I fear for the future of our city.

Rathgrith
May 11, 2009, 1:34 AM
^You could start by changing the name of city from London. Whenever I ask someone where the are going and they reply "London". My first follow up is; the one in Ontario or England?

At least call it "New London" or something. Then maybe it could become somewhat unique...

Stevo26
May 11, 2009, 2:41 AM
I'm siding with MolsonExport on this one. He has a valid point. There is indeed a dearth of interesting things to do in London. I've been to the War of 1812 re-enactment; I've been to the Balloon Fest a few times. 'Seen it, done it, got the t-shirt', so to speak.

What I'm getting at here is that London is so uncreative when it comes to exhibitions and the like that what *is* on offer year after year is getting a little old.

Yes, I know there are concerts at the JLC from time to time, if you don't mind paying nosebleed prices for tickets to see mostly second and third-line acts. I didn't say 'third rate'; these are acts that were big fifteen, twenty and even thirty years ago but can no longer command enough ticket sales to get into bigger-name places like Toronto's Air Canada Centre. So they have to play smaller venues like the JLC instead.

The minute TD Canada Trust and London Life moved their head offices out of the downtown core, London promptly became somewhat of a backwater locale. And truth be told, it always has been so to a greater or lesser extent. Canada Trust's decision to set up its head office here in the early 1970's promised to change that reputation, but the promise was snuffed out before it had a chance to really blossom.

Pinning downtown revitalization hopes on the JLC alone and the London Knights is not going to be enough to pull the city out of its cultural slump. But that is exactly what has happened; and city council seems to think the recent spate of downtown residential development is a vindication of their policies.

It's not.

Current housing development in the downtown core is being driven by two things. First, there are a lot of professionals like lawyers, dentists, psychologists, doctors and others who want to be close to where they work. They have the kind of money needed to live in places like the Harriston and the Renaissance Tower.

Second, we're running out of cheap oil, with the end result that living in the suburbs will soon be an untenable proposition. To get around that stark reality, public transit would have to be many magnitudes better than it is now. With the exception of Toronto and Ottawa, I don't see any Ontario cities even trying to realize 'magnitudes better' improvements in their public transit systems. The smart money says that it's better to live in the downtown core where you can walk just about everywhere and using public transit won't be as much of a hassle as it is in the 'burbs.

Plus there's a demographic shift afoot that will drive down the price of suburban housing rather dramatically and make 'burb living unattractive. Namely, an aging population that no longer needs big suburban houses with big yards, and a birth rate too low to maintain a suburban way of life. Not to mention that the few young people who are just entering the work force now can't get the kind of jobs needed to support such a lifestyle anyway.

And by the way, I've been living in London for over fifteen years now, so I know what I'm talking about. London is an OK place to live... its roads and public transit system suck, but it is quiet here and housing is affordable, unlike Toronto and a number of other Ontario centres.

MolsonExport
May 11, 2009, 1:13 PM
^Nicely said, and more eloquently put than anything that I have written on the subject.

kwoldtimer
May 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
^You could start by changing the name of city from London. Whenever I ask someone where the are going and they reply "London". My first follow up is; the one in Ontario or England?

At least call it "New London" or something. Then maybe it could become somewhat unique...

The one in Ontario or in Connecticut? :haha:

ldoto
May 12, 2009, 3:36 AM
Update!!!!

WestJet Starts Daily Direct Halifax and Vancouver Service from London today more good info for the Airport. I seen it on the A channel London today!!!!!!

Read this:cool:
http://www.londonairport.on.ca/news/WestJet%20direct%20to%20Halifax%20and%20Vancouver%202009.pdf

MolsonExport
May 12, 2009, 1:55 PM
^this is very good news, as I regularly fly to Van, and loathe transferring in the centre of the universe.

MolsonExport
May 12, 2009, 2:02 PM

New London CT.

How about Donlon? :D

Rathgrith
May 12, 2009, 2:20 PM
Donlon is better than nothing. New London would at least be less confusioning, unless a tourist from CT is in town.

I was thinking "Forest City", it could be "enchanted" like Zelda.... you could visit Laser Quest and then attempt to snap pictures at UWO like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phronk/73892829/ :D

MolsonExport
May 12, 2009, 5:45 PM
haha! The Saugeen stripper! I can see Saugeen from my office window.

ldoto
May 15, 2009, 3:44 AM
Thu, May 14, 2009

Exploring our region's next economy

London's in a race against time in its bid to make its airport an international cargo gateway for the next economy.

Three other Ontario cities that own their airports, including regional rivals Hamilton and Windsor, have applied for government stimulus money to upgrade their airports just as London wants to do with its, officials learned yesterday. Peterborough is the other city.

"We're a little behind but we're hoping to catch up," London city manager Jeff Fielding said.

London's airport is locally-operated by a civilian authority, but its land is federally owned -- making it ineligible for a recent round of government stimulus money for municipalities. Board of control approved a recommendation yesterday to ask council to chip in $25,000 for a consultant to develop a business case for the so-called economic gateway project, of which the airport is a crucial point.

The recommendation goes to full council Monday.

The London Economic Development Corp.'s board has already approved $25,000 to put toward the business case and the airport has offered $12,500, said Fielding.

"Our timeline is to get something to council by June so we can identify what the project looks like, what our timelines are, what jobs would be created and what would be the cost that we would have to be looking at to make this a reality," said Fielding.

The gateway proposal -- airport expansion, plus highway and other upgrades -- had been the centrepiece of city hall's early thinking on how to tap the rivers of government cash going out to help municipalities with public works amid this year's brutal economic downturn.

The idea is to take advantage of London's close proximity to key U.S. markets, the 400-series highway system and favourable tax rulings allowing cargo to transit through the airport between other nations.

But the $21-million airport project didn't qualify for federal stimulus money for municipalities because the city doesn't own the airport. The federal government owns the airport land and leases it to the airport authority.

The authority has an 80-year renewable lease and fully funds all operating and capital expenses at the airport.

In all, London has applied for funding for stimulus projects worth $137 million.

The airport project would include upgrading taxiways, parking for aircraft and a multi-bay cargo handling facility, along with needed servicing up to the airport property line.

"There's just so many opportunities for us that are at the airport, it's one of the centrepoints of the strategy for us," said Peter White, the LEDC president.

A task force, including the LEDC, airport and city officials, has been created to look at the opportunity.

It's already looking at other possible funding options, such as the Southern Ontario Development Agency, promised in the recent federal budget and expected to be up by mid-year. The agency will have $1 billion to spend on recession-hit southern Ontario over five years.

If Hamilton, Windsor or Peterborough get stimulus funding for their airport expansions first, they could beat London in the race to reposition themselves as regional cargo gateways.

That would put London at a competitive disadvantage, said White.

"Our focus is we want to get this . . . (business) plan completed as quickly as possible and keep this going through June and July so we don't lose opportunities," he said.

MolsonExport
May 15, 2009, 1:19 PM
I use London's airport about 8 times/year. Nice operation, but seems quite underused.

ldoto
Jun 19, 2009, 2:37 AM
Thu, June 18, 2009

The twice daily service will begin Sept. 29

Londoners soon will be able to fly direct to the Windy City twice a day. :cheers:

The daily flights from London to Chicago on United Airlines are a major breakthrough for London International Airport, said airport vice-president Mike Seabrook.

"This is huge for us. We have had a four-year courtship with them (United Airlines)."

The service will begin Sept. 29 with two round-trip flights a day to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, a major hub with flights to about 200 destinations.

London airport now has service to Detroit Airport with Northwest Airlink but Seabrook said O'Hare is a much bigger hub.

Seabrook said all the connections available in Chicago will help convince air travellers in the London area to fly from home instead of driving to Detroit airport to catch a flight.

"This is another positive move in stopping that cross-border leakage," he said.

The flights will depart from London at 6:45 a.m. and 4:52 p.m. on a 50-seat CRJ regional jet manufactured by Bombardier. The incoming flights depart Chicago at 2 p.m. and 6:50 p.m.

The flight time is about one hour and 20 minutes.

Travellers taking the Chicago-London flights will be able to collect and redeem AeroPlan points because of a partnership between United and Air Canada.

Seabrook said there is potential for United Airlines to expand the number of Chicago flights and also expand service to Washington, D.C.

Seabrook said United sees the London service as an opportunity to broaden its market.

London Airport has seen a 50% growth in the last five years.

Along with Detroit and the new Chicago service, London Airport also has flights to Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax.

manny_santos
Jun 19, 2009, 2:50 AM
Thu, June 18, 2009

The twice daily service will begin Sept. 29

Londoners soon will be able to fly direct to the Windy City twice a day. :cheers:

This is good news, as Amtrak no longer has rail service from Toronto to Chicago with a stop in London.

I would be willing to use the new service as long as the total is cheaper than taking Aboutown or Robert Q to DTW and then flying from there.

QuantumLeap
Jun 19, 2009, 4:10 AM
What about either "Forest City" or "Londontario?"

MolsonExport
Jun 19, 2009, 1:13 PM
I am very pleased to learn of the new routes offered at London In'tl airport, as I travel quite frequently.

y2k_pony
Jun 19, 2009, 8:55 PM
Thu, May 14, 2009

Exploring our region's next economy

London's in a race against time in its bid to make its airport an international cargo gateway for the next economy.

Three other Ontario cities that own their airports, including regional rivals Hamilton and Windsor, have applied for government stimulus money to upgrade their airports just as London wants to do with its, officials learned yesterday. Peterborough is the other city.

"We're a little behind but we're hoping to catch up," London city manager Jeff Fielding said.

London's airport is locally-operated by a civilian authority, but its land is federally owned -- making it ineligible for a recent round of government stimulus money for municipalities. Board of control approved a recommendation yesterday to ask council to chip in $25,000 for a consultant to develop a business case for the so-called economic gateway project, of which the airport is a crucial point.

The recommendation goes to full council Monday.

The London Economic Development Corp.'s board has already approved $25,000 to put toward the business case and the airport has offered $12,500, said Fielding.

"Our timeline is to get something to council by June so we can identify what the project looks like, what our timelines are, what jobs would be created and what would be the cost that we would have to be looking at to make this a reality," said Fielding.

The gateway proposal -- airport expansion, plus highway and other upgrades -- had been the centrepiece of city hall's early thinking on how to tap the rivers of government cash going out to help municipalities with public works amid this year's brutal economic downturn.

The idea is to take advantage of London's close proximity to key U.S. markets, the 400-series highway system and favourable tax rulings allowing cargo to transit through the airport between other nations.

But the $21-million airport project didn't qualify for federal stimulus money for municipalities because the city doesn't own the airport. The federal government owns the airport land and leases it to the airport authority.

The authority has an 80-year renewable lease and fully funds all operating and capital expenses at the airport.

In all, London has applied for funding for stimulus projects worth $137 million.

The airport project would include upgrading taxiways, parking for aircraft and a multi-bay cargo handling facility, along with needed servicing up to the airport property line.

"There's just so many opportunities for us that are at the airport, it's one of the centrepoints of the strategy for us," said Peter White, the LEDC president.

A task force, including the LEDC, airport and city officials, has been created to look at the opportunity.

It's already looking at other possible funding options, such as the Southern Ontario Development Agency, promised in the recent federal budget and expected to be up by mid-year. The agency will have $1 billion to spend on recession-hit southern Ontario over five years.

If Hamilton, Windsor or Peterborough get stimulus funding for their airport expansions first, they could beat London in the race to reposition themselves as regional cargo gateways.

That would put London at a competitive disadvantage, said White.

"Our focus is we want to get this . . . (business) plan completed as quickly as possible and keep this going through June and July so we don't lose opportunities," he said.

They lost that bid to Windsor. It makes sense though. I would think of Windsor as more of a cargo hub then London due to it being so close to Detroit. London's airport is nice for passengers though. I fly Wesjet through there a few times a year.

manny_santos
Jun 20, 2009, 1:39 AM
I am very pleased to learn of the new routes offered at London In'tl airport, as I travel quite frequently.

I don't travel much but I think all these new routes (Calgary, Halifax, and now Chicago) are great news for London. Doesn't mean Dr. House will be any more likely to stop over here though. :haha:

I remember a time you could pretty much only fly to Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal from London, although I seem to remember them having flights to Cleveland back in the late 1990s. I might be wrong on that. The airport terminal itself has also been heavily upgraded in recent years from what I remember back in the 90s. It is on its way to being a more major hub.

MolsonExport
Jun 21, 2009, 1:41 AM
Funny how you almost never hear of Cleveland, but geographically, is it not the biggest large city near London? (as the crow flies?)

QuantumLeap
Jun 23, 2009, 5:57 AM
One of the ways that London's economy could keep growing is by increasing our trade links with cities in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, New York and Pennsylvania. There are 60 million people in those five states alone, twice the number in Canada, with the furthest point in any one of them no more than 1000 km from London, and the most populous parts much closer. The flights were not to Cleveland, however, but Pittsburgh, on US Air.

ldoto
Sep 15, 2009, 12:28 AM
Jet museum soars to unique heights

Mon, September 14, 2009

Mandate is to not only preserve history, but restore and fly jet aircraft

Mac Mazurek's father was a fighter pilot in Second World War Poland, defending the homeland from the air.

Maybe that's why Mazurek is so fascinated with fighter jets like the ones at Canada's first Jet Aircraft Museum, which held a grand opening at the London International Airport during the weekend.

"This is Canadian history. Nobody else is doing it and it's got to be done," Mazurek says, casually leaning on a T-Bird jet trainer from 1952.

The CT-133 is one of six at the museum for a new generation of visitors to admire.

Mazurek is a museum volunteer and a pilot who lives in Chatham -- he wishes he could fly one of the fighter jets he admires so much.

In addition to the T-Birds -- in which London Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best and London West MP Ed Holder sat to cut the ribbons for the opening -- the museum boasts a yellow Harvard from 1939, a trainer that was made until 1962 and is one of 40 survivors in Canada.

The museum's mandate is to save parts of Canadian aviation history from the scrap heap and restore them. It's also to teach youngsters about flying history.

The museum also has a Russian L29 and Czech L39, and a yellow Focke Wulf 149 from Germany.

These machines aren't used anywhere anymore except by private aficionados. As they age and rust, it's important to keep them up and preserve them, said Bob Hewitt, the museum's founding president.

"Usually, museums of aviation have an aircraft on display and it's not flyworthy. Not ours. We will have four or more of each aircraft, all flyers. We will buy them, fix them, and fly them," he said.

"We have a place in the Jet Aircraft Museum for everyone's aviation dream."

Having the museum in London is important for the city, DeCicco-Best said.

"It's about remembering our past and reflecting on the future. This museum will add to our city and our community," she said.

The facility is at 2465 Aviation Lane near the airport.

ldoto
Oct 1, 2009, 4:37 AM
Wed, September 30, 2009

AIR TRAVEL

Passengers disembark the first United Airlines flight from Chicago at London Airport yesterday.

London got a new gateway to the world yesterday as United Airlines started a twice-daily flight service to Chicago The new service is a major breakthrough for London International Airport said airport vice-president Mike Seabrook.

"Chicago is a great hub. United Airlines is one of the largest carriers in the world," he said. :worship:

The twice daily flights to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport provide connections to 133 destinations. London Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best said the service will be another selling point in attracting new economic development to the city.

"The more connections we have to the rest of the world the easier it is going to be to bring companies and investment here," said DeCicco-Best.

London Airport now has service to Detroit with Northwest Airlink but Seabrook said O'Hare is a much bigger hub.

Martin Kammerman, a market analysis manager for United Airlines said the Chicago flights will serve business travellers but also provide an excellent link for destinations such as Las Vegas, Phoenix and Los Angeles; "The Chicago option is something that customers here have been wanting for a long time," he said.

Kammerman said early ticket sales indicate the service will be popular. He said the relatively small size of London airport is seen as an asset to many travellers.

"Pearson in Toronto is a beautiful airport but it's a complicated place to get around," said Kammerman.

Seabrook said all connections will help convince air travellers in the London area to fly from home instead of driving to Detroit airport to catch a flight.

"This is another positive move in stopping that cross-border leakage," he said.

The flights will depart from London at 6:45 a.m. and 4:52 p.m. on a 50-seat CRJ regional jet manufactured by Bombardier. The incoming flights depart Chicago at 2 p.m. and 6:50 p.m.

Flight time is about one hour and 20 minutes.

Travellers taking the Chicago-London flights can collect and redeem AeroPlan points because of a partnership between United and Air Canada. Seabrook said there is potential to expand the number of Chicago flights and also expand service to Washington, D.C.

London Airport also has flights to Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax.

MolsonExport
Oct 2, 2009, 4:03 PM
Nice to be able to get from the windbag city to the windy city.

ldoto
Feb 3, 2010, 4:47 AM
More travelers flying out of London

Last Updated: 2nd February 2010, 2:33pm

Despite a tough year for the aviation industry, the number of travelers using London International Airport jumped 6.5% in 2009.

Airport president Steve Baker said the increase was spurred by more flights to more destinations and a successful marketing campaign to persuade travelers in the London area to “fly from home” rather than use airports in Toronto or Detroit.

“It’s been a banner year for us. Most airports across the country are down 6-8%,” said Baker.

The number of travelers using London airport in 2009 increased from 449,000 to 476,000 last year.

Baker said the United Airlines new London-Chicago flights have been popular since they were launched in October.

Baker said passengers on the twice-daily flights to Chicago can access connector flights to 83 destinations around the world.

In addition to the United flights, Air Canada has a new direct flight between London and Calgary and WestJet is adding direct service to Vancouver in April.

The airport has boosted the number of seasonal charter fights to vacation destinations from three to five per week. A flight to Montego Bay, Jamaica has been added as well as an additional weekly flight to Varadero, Cuba.

Delta Airlines, which took over Northwest Airlines last year, has switched its aircraft serving London from turboprops to larger jet aircraft.

Baker expects the additional flights should boost passenger numbers in 2010 by at least 5%.

Baker said the direct vacation charter have been popular because they allow passengers to avoid connecting flights in the United States, which could involve long delays because of enhanced security.

“You’re flying from home and when you return you can clear customs and get home in 30 minutes,” he said.

Baker said London International Airport will receive one of the new full body-scanning machines that have become the new standard for airport security but Baker said the date for the installation of the machine is not being released for security reasons.

Baker said travelers will have the option of having a pat-down search if they do not want to go through the scanner.

MolsonExport
Feb 3, 2010, 2:01 PM
Good news. This should help maintain some of those direct flights. I used to fly out of Taranna mostly, but now, almost always out of London (alas, usually needing to transfer in Taranna, but at least my luggage is already checked).

manny_santos
Feb 3, 2010, 11:40 PM
Next time I fly to Mexico I will certainly consider flying from London via Chicago, as long as the price is right. I certainly have no problem using United Airlines, I do not do business with American Airlines and I'm leary of Air Canada although I've never used them. Last time I went I took a bus to Detroit and flew via Dallas-Fort Worth, which was almost $900 cheaper than flying from London via one or two other cities. But that was just before the London-Chicago route was added.

MolsonExport
Feb 4, 2010, 2:37 AM
^rilly? shee-it, that is beaucoup money.

jodelli
Feb 5, 2010, 4:56 AM
They lost that bid to Windsor. It makes sense though. I would think of Windsor as more of a cargo hub then London due to it being so close to Detroit. London's airport is nice for passengers though. I fly Wesjet through there a few times a year.

Windsor has a strong case for a cargo airport due to having a very large industrial base in the area and a 9000' foot runway in place. Sort of like Willow Run east.

I've been in and out of London Airport several times in the last three years and despite the two hour drive it's the right price to the right destinations (mostly Calgary IMC)

sparky212
May 6, 2010, 3:19 AM
London International Airport will undergo a $6.5-million expansion to create more room for passengers and accommodate more jets, Steve Baker, airport chief executive, said Wednesday.

Passenger traffic has increased 58% over the last six years. Last year, as the recession hammered the economy, 480,000 passengers filed through the terminal, a jump of 6%, Baker said.

“We have had tremendous growth, we have upscaled our aircraft to jets, we have a lot more passengers.”

The airport will use $3.5 million from reserves and will assume debt of $3 million to fund the renovation.

The airport will expand the 85,000 sq. ft. terminal by about 12,000 sq. ft. The passenger waiting area will be expanded into the apron.

In addition, four “bridges” will be added to accommodate the increased number of jets using the airport. The bridges allow passengers to board planes without walking onto the tarmac.

“We are finding that we often have three or four aircraft that can seat up to 140 to 150 people and we have a lot of passengers waiting,” said Mike Seabrook, airport vice-president.

The airport has only two flights that use turbo-prop planes. They are the Air Canada Jazz flights to Toronto and Ottawa. After the renovation, passengers on those flights are the only ones who will have to walk on the apron.

The airport is issuing tenders for the work, and will start construction within two months with hopes it will be finished by year end, Seabrook said.

The airport terminal last expanded in 2004 and since then, much has changed :

WestJet Airlines added direct jet service to Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Orlando;

Air Canada operates direct jet service to Calgary;

United Airlines offers direct jet service to Chicago;

Delta Airlines upgraded to jet service to Detroit;

The airport offers seasonal traffic to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Cancun and Cuba.

The airport added the Chicago flights in September, a time when the industry was in decline, but saw London as an opportunity to make money. “We saw that U.S. airlines were repositioning because they were losing money and we went to them and showed them opportunities here, that is how we added the Chicago service,” Baker said.

ldoto
May 6, 2010, 4:22 AM
:previous: More good news for YXU !!!!!:tup:

ForestryW
May 6, 2010, 12:59 PM
Expected completion date?

MolsonExport
May 6, 2010, 1:47 PM
This is just great news. I use YXU at least 6 times/year.

manny_santos
May 7, 2010, 1:09 AM
As time goes on I hope YXU becomes a more major airport. Traditionally Pearson Airport or Detroit Metro Airport is used by Londoners for major international flights. It would be certainly more convenient to get from London to major national and international destinations without having to go to YYZ or DTW. As of now YXU now has flights to Chicago, Vancouver, Calgary, and other major cities, and hopefully this will continue to expand.

sparky212
May 11, 2010, 8:37 PM
tey released the design for the gateway proj. hres the link to dancor's site
http://www.dancor.ca/Portfolio/tabid/433/agentType/View/PropertyID/362/Default.aspx

ldoto
May 11, 2010, 10:49 PM
AIRPORT: Potential customers give it a warm reception as the London facility reports a financially healthy year:banana: :banana: :banana:

Last Updated: May 11, 2010 8:00am

Rendering of the Gateway Project being built by Dancor Construction on Robin's Hill Road north of the London International Airport. The project is expected to be completed by mid July. The London International Airport is getting a warm welcome when it pitches its business plan to potential customers of a multi- million-dollar cargo terminal that’s set to open this fall.

The terminal, dubbed the Gateway Project, will see an international free trade zone created at the airport so that goods can be shipped here from around the world and then sent across North America.

“The walls are up, it will be finished over the next few months (and) taxiways are being finished,” said Steve Baker, airport chief executive. “We will bring airlines and freight into those buildings for a terminal cargo business.”

The airport is aiming for a September opening. By then, there may be announcements about businesses locating at the cargo terminal, he said.

“We see signs of a recovery. We are meeting with cargo operators, airlines and freight forwarders, and the industry is showing signs of coming back. More goods are being shipped,” he said.

Just as the city markets itself for passenger traffic, it is selling the city globally to get cargo, Baker said. “We want to take this from a transportation centre to a trade centre.”

The $11-million cargo centre is funded by the federal government — with a contribution of $8 million — and by the city’s contributing $2.5 million. The airport kicks in the remaining $500,000.

The airport authority held its annual meeting this month and released details that show 2009 was a financially healthy year for the London airport. Its total operating budget was $37 million and revenue was $10.8 million, a $1 million increase over 2008.

It added $2.6 million into reserves, a $600,000 increase over the reserve contribution in 2008.

Long-term debt dropped to $13.4 million, from $14.2 million in 2008.

The airport authority’s board members also remain well paid, getting $800 to attend each board meeting and $300 for a committee meeting. The chairperson of the board gets $20,000 and its director gets $10,000.

The three executives that make-up the airport executive — Baker, vice-president Mike Seabrook and human resources director Janet Carr — earned a combined wage of $474,670 in 2009.

The airport recently announced it will undertake a $6.5-million expansion of its passenger terminal, a project to be carried out this year. Passenger traffic grew by 6% last year.

“It’s because of new business,” aid Baker of the growth. “We knew there were airlines in the U.S. not making money in their operations. We marketed them to come to London. We built our services.”

MolsonExport
May 12, 2010, 2:39 AM
tey released the design for the gateway proj. hres the link to dancor's site
http://www.dancor.ca/Portfolio/tabid/433/agentType/View/PropertyID/362/Default.aspx

couldn't open the file:(

ldoto
Oct 6, 2010, 12:17 AM
Update!!

The days of scooting across the frigid tarmac after getting off a flight from Punta Cana will soon be over at London International Airport.

A $6.5 million expansion of the terminal is well underway, one that will include the installation of four jetways, or loading bridges, directly onto aircraft.

The expansion should be completed by Dec. 15, in time for most of the seasonal charter flights to tropical hot spots where passengers come back still dressed in T-shirts and shorts.

“This will afford all the travelers a safe and comfortable access and exit to the aircraft,” said airport president Steve Baker.

The 18,000 sq. ft. expansion is more than doubling the existing departure lounge, creating seating for up to 600 passengers.

The second phase of the expansion — which will include a Tim Hortons outlet and a duty-free lounge in the departure lounge — should be completed by April 30.

Hayman Construction of London was awarded the contract and has started installing the structural steel.

Baker said the last terminal expansion was in 2004 and since then passenger traffic has jumped by 60%.

In 2009, despite the recession, the numbers of passengers using the terminal jumped 6% to 480,000.

Baker said the existing terminal is now pushed to capacity in the early morning with Delta, United, WestJet and Air Canada flights all departing within a two-hour window.

“It’s a ‘just-in-time expansion’,” said Baker.

The airport will use $3.5 million from reserves and will assume debt of $3 million to fund the expansion.

MolsonExport
Oct 6, 2010, 4:45 PM
EVERY flight that I get on/off requires a walk on the tarmac. Maybe its just me, but all my flights go to Toronto/Detroit/Chicago (mostly connnecting)...maybe Vancouver/Calgary. Never Punta Cana. Who cares about 2-3% of the volume, vs. the vast majority that fly to less exotic locales? Is exposure to the elements a less important consideration for the overwhelming majority of passengers?

Simpseatles
Oct 24, 2010, 3:08 PM
:cheers: This expansion of the departure lounge and jetways is really great news for the airport! I think it is in a unique location halfway between the 2 monster airports, and people here should have more flights available so they can be less dependant on them. Since we're almost 2 hours away from both Pearson and Detroit, we shouldn't have as many problems as other airports, like K-W(too close to Pearson) Windsor (way too close to Detroit)and Hamilton(I can't even keep track of which low cost European charter airline runs there now.)

In the future, I'd like to see year round flights to all major Canadian cities and flights to more American airpots, especially NYC. When I've gone there before the drive to Pearson takes longer then the actual flight! Seasonal European flights would be a pipe dream, but it could happen in the long term. I don't really care about Carribean (mostly 3rd world) resort destinations, but the more whining "I hate winter!" people gone, the better.:D Having a larger airport with more destinations is sure to put us on the map.

Just a question, I see we're getting 4 new jetways, but can somebody tell me if these 2 things on either end of the covered walkway are also jetways? I've never seen them being used.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=43.028455,-81.149429&spn=0.00331,0.01369&t=h&z=17

go_leafs_go02
Oct 24, 2010, 7:45 PM
:cheers: This expansion of the departure lounge and jetways is really great news for the airport! I think it is in a unique location halfway between the 2 monster airports, and people here should have more flights available so they can be less dependant on them. Since we're almost 2 hours away from both Pearson and Detroit, we shouldn't have as many problems as other airports, like K-W(too close to Pearson) Windsor (way too close to Detroit)and Hamilton(I can't even keep track of which low cost European charter airline runs there now.)

In the future, I'd like to see year round flights to all major Canadian cities and flights to more American airpots, especially NYC. When I've gone there before the drive to Pearson takes longer then the actual flight! Seasonal European flights would be a pipe dream, but it could happen in the long term. I don't really care about Carribean (mostly 3rd world) resort destinations, but the more whining "I hate winter!" people gone, the better.:D Having a larger airport with more destinations is sure to put us on the map.

Just a question, I see we're getting 4 new jetways, but can somebody tell me if these 2 things on either end of the covered walkway are also jetways? I've never seen them being used.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=43.028455,-81.149429&spn=0.00331,0.01369&t=h&z=17

I like flying out of London, have done it about 4 times in the last year alone.

I've never seen those jetways used at either end. Not sure what purpose they do, although I think for the exceptionally large planes, they'd be used, however, the largest are the E90's that go to Calgary daily.

How do you get up a level to get to those jetways? Elevator? Stairs? They're not ramps, that's obvious.

Vancouver - London seems to be a hit, and I could see that being upgraded to a flight daily year-round in a little bit.

London - Montreal definitely could warrant demand as well. We'll see when the airport is expanded.

Kokkei Mizu
Oct 25, 2010, 5:01 PM
London - Montreal definitely could warrant demand as well. We'll see when the airport is expanded.

If HSR ever happens then those flights would be obsolete. 3 hour train ride from London to montreal would be pretty attractive.

haljackey
Oct 25, 2010, 5:31 PM
The London airport is one of the few airports on the continent that have something really going for it.

Most airports in North America are over-congested or located too close to one-another. Since many airlines are reluctant to fly routes less often with bigger planes (like a 747 or A380), congestion persists.

London's airport is in a good location being smack in the middle of Detroit and Toronto airports. An expansion here could attract local travelers between these cities to come here instead of contribute to congestion at the other airports. People from London could use it, people from Chatam-Kent and Kitchener-Waterloo could use it. Heck, even people from Windsor and west-greater golden horseshoe area could use it if it's more practical to fly outa here than the others.

Yep, a big opportunity is here for London. I think HSR will help reduce aircraft movements, which is a good thing, but there will always be demand for air travel as long as fuel prices are cheap. London has room to grow and the city would really benefit from a massive airport expansion!

Just my thoughts.

ldoto
Oct 28, 2010, 11:37 PM
WOW!!!!::koko:

Early next year, Londoners will have a harder time getting to Detroit.

Delta announced today they are cancelling service between the London International Airport and the Motor City.

"This is disappointing for us in London," Airport Vice President Mike Seabrook said in a news release. "The merger of Northwest Airlines and Delta, a restructuring of the combined airline that is now taking place, and the economics of the U.S. Airline Industry has resulted in this unfortunate news."

There had been three flights between Detroit and London daily, on 50 seat regional jets.

Delta says it's streamlining it's fleet, and offering fewer short distance flights on smaller planes.

These changes come into effect on January 4th.

Honest Scientist
Feb 17, 2011, 3:10 PM
Anyone have any update with regard to how the new expansion is coming along? Are the new Jet Bridges in place/in use or is that only going to happen after the scheduled completion date of April 2011?

Does anyone know for sure if this means we will now have a total of six Jet Bridges, the two from the last expansion (not sure how much they were used) plus the four new ones?

I applaud the expansion and would love to see the airport grow, with more US airlines providing direct flights into other big hubs: maybe American into Dallas-Fort Worth and Newark, maybe United added Denver, and lots more charters to the south (and Vegas, baby!).

Would be nice to see year-round daily jet service to Halifax and Vancouver in addition to Calgary and Winnipeg (should move to all-jet service to Ottawa and Montreal, if not to all flights to Toronto).

They should get Canada Customs and Borders to increase staffing so they can add larger jets and add charters to Europe.

I am pleased that they have gone forward with this and I think they will expand again if traffic increases (like I suggest above) - maybe eventually a 10 Jet Bridge airport is appropriate for London's size, regional catchment and location.

Also would love to start seeing some big cargo jets (747, DC10s, etc) come in daily to bring the Cargo/Free Trade zone blossom!

manny_santos
Feb 17, 2011, 3:21 PM
WOW!!!!::koko:

Early next year, Londoners will have a harder time getting to Detroit.

Delta announced today they are cancelling service between the London International Airport and the Motor City.

"This is disappointing for us in London," Airport Vice President Mike Seabrook said in a news release. "The merger of Northwest Airlines and Delta, a restructuring of the combined airline that is now taking place, and the economics of the U.S. Airline Industry has resulted in this unfortunate news."

There had been three flights between Detroit and London daily, on 50 seat regional jets.

Delta says it's streamlining it's fleet, and offering fewer short distance flights on smaller planes.

These changes come into effect on January 4th.

I can see why they would cut that service. It's WAY cheaper to take a bus to Detroit and fly directly from there.

MolsonExport
Feb 17, 2011, 6:24 PM
Used the Detroit connection many times. Now I will just go through Toronto for everything. It's better, because I can now avoid having my privates groped/photographed, which is increasingly what happens with security in American airports.

GreatTallNorth2
Feb 18, 2011, 2:16 AM
I flew out of London to Chicago and back about a week ago. Overall, the experience was good except when we landed in London, it seemed the airport was running on a shoestring. It was around 10:00 pm and I know there are not many flights landing at this time, but if they want people to take them seriously, they need more staff. It seemed like the same guy operated the passenger bridge that unloaded the plane and loaded the luggage.

Having said that, it took me about 10-15 mins total to get my boarding pass and pass security..what a breeze compared to Pearson.

MolsonExport
Feb 18, 2011, 4:46 AM
plus, your bags from detroit ended up in the twilight zone, and not on the baggage carousels.

Honest Scientist
Feb 19, 2011, 12:57 AM
Were the new Jet Bridges in place? Could you please give us a quick update on the construction?

Thanks!

I flew out of London to Chicago and back about a week ago. Overall, the experience was good except when we landed in London, it seemed the airport was running on a shoestring. It was around 10:00 pm and I know there are not many flights landing at this time, but if they want people to take them seriously, they need more staff. It seemed like the same guy operated the passenger bridge that unloaded the plane and loaded the luggage.

Having said that, it took me about 10-15 mins total to get my boarding pass and pass security..what a breeze compared to Pearson.

GreatTallNorth2
Feb 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
There was a passenger on the flight that had crutches, so they said they were using the bridge. It took the guy 15 minutes to get the bridge in place...kind of a joke. This was my return flight. When we boarded to Chicago, we didn't use any bridge, just climbed the stairs. I was told the smaller jets are very bumpy, but I must say the United jets are very smooth (Canadair or something).

The construction is still ongoing at London Airport. The terminal waiting room is much larger than what I was used to. The customs area and luggage area are pretty small. I'm glad that London airport is growing. Hope we get more U.S. flights. A discount airline would be really nice.

Simpseatles
Mar 20, 2011, 3:01 PM
Just got back from a trip using the airport and I was quite pleased!:) The security room is much larger, and the waiting room has been expanded as well. There are also 4 new bridges now, which meant I did not have to walk outside in the cold! Work is ongoing, so it kind of smells in there though. The design of the new waiting room is nothing special, but it seems functional.

On another note, I recently heard that Air Canada will be cancelling their flights to Calgary because their not making enough money.:(

sparky212
Mar 21, 2011, 9:54 PM
they didn't just say canceling it could possibly just be downsized so just hope for the best:)

new age
Mar 22, 2011, 1:22 AM
No they are reducing system wide capacity by using smaller planes and less frequent flights. They are out right canceling the following flights.

Ottawa-Thunder Bay
Ottawa-Washington Dulles
Montreal-Washington Dulles
Calgary-Chicago
Calgary-San Francisco
(Calgary-London, Ontario)

go_leafs_go02
Mar 24, 2011, 11:47 PM
New expansion opened up today:

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/03/24/17742406.html#/news/london/2011/03/24/pf-17745171.html

used London airport last October, and even at that time, it just a foundation in the ground. Fast project - that's for sure.

There's a video in there too, place is barely recognizable.

Simpseatles
Mar 25, 2011, 2:01 AM
^Yep, that's exactly what I saw when I was there only a few days ago, but it still seemed tiny because I arrived around midnight, and our plane was the only one there!

3 Problems with the report:

1: Flights to Las Vegas? What's that about?
2:40-50 Flights a day? There's no way, including just passenger flights.
3:"Modernistic"? I'm pleased with the expansion, but I think the mayor got a little carried away there. Maybe I'll just need to get a better look around next time.

MrSlippery519
Mar 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
1: Flights to Las Vegas? What's that about?

Wondering about this one myself.

On a positive note, it's amazing the transformation of London's airport in the last 10 years. Hopefully that continues and they do end up adding those flights.

MolsonExport
Mar 25, 2011, 5:08 PM
40-50 Flights a day?

No way Jose. perhaps per week.

or maybe they are factoring the two-seater landings/takeoffs (e.g., diamond aircraft)

MrSlippery519
Mar 25, 2011, 6:10 PM
They must be factoring in those flights...maybe down the road 40-50 real flight landing/taking off but I agree there is no way that is happening right now.

go_leafs_go02
Mar 25, 2011, 6:15 PM
40-50 Flights a day?

No way Jose. perhaps per week.

or maybe they are factoring the two-seater landings/takeoffs (e.g., diamond aircraft)

I'd say probably close to 25 commercial flights per day at this time. Just my guess. That's incoming and outgoing.

manny_santos
Mar 25, 2011, 6:16 PM
Just booked an international air trip, in which I will be taking off from Chicago. By not flying to Chicago from London first (and vice-versa), I'm saving over $250, even after factoring in other transportation to/from Chicago.

I suppose if you're traveling internationally for business and time is of the essence, then flying out of London or even Toronto would make sense. But if it's for pleasure, then it makes little sense. Of course, if you're flying somewhere else in Canada, then flying out of London is probably the cheapest.

Snark
Mar 25, 2011, 8:51 PM
40-50 Flights a day? No way Jose. perhaps per week.or maybe they are factoring the two-seater landings/takeoffs (e.g., diamond aircraft)

It looks like just under 30 arrivals/departures in the next 24 hours, and much of that is on a Saturday, so I'd say that on a weekday we're probably looking at 35 or so per day, which equates to about 230 commercial flights a week. Not bad. Not 50, but not bad.

As for throwing the 2/4/6 seaters into the mix, Wikki says that there was 141,000 total aircraft movements in 2009. That's a takeoff or landing every 3.75 minutes 24/7/365. Sure, there aren't any A380's working there, but those are respectable numbers for a city of this size and sandwiched between 3 larger facilities and within an hour of a comparable sized facility.

What's really nice about the place is that it has all of the amenities that pretty much any aircraft in the world needs - including the largest aircraft and payloads in the world. Watching an Antinov take off with a locomotive in the hold is pretty freekin' impressive. It also allows folks to make quick family visits: a friend of mine met a gentleman last summer who arrived at London airport for a day visit to visit family - in his F-18. His departure was... colourful. Couldn't see that at Pearson!

MolsonExport
Mar 25, 2011, 8:56 PM
^truly. I like London's little-big airport. Goldilocks, she be. My only wish is more direct flights to some of the cities that I visit often (Montreal, Vancouver, Chicago, NYC) in addition to Detroit (now gone) and of course, Taranna.

go_leafs_go02
Mar 25, 2011, 9:39 PM
They'll come more and more if flying regional comes cheaper or similar to the cost of driving or taking the train.

Doesn't London have flights to Montreal and Ottawa already? Just wish Westjet would get the Vancouver - London - Halifax flight up to year long.

And will I be the only one who misses getting off in the summer on the tarmac? I remember taking my girlfriend (who grew up in BC) to London the first time, 29C felt like 36C - first comment out of her mouth: "It Feels like Cuba Here!" with a big smile on her face.

K85
Mar 25, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'd love to see flights to LA, Vegas, and possibly Vancouver / Seattle. I know, that while I would not use these on a very regular basis, they'd be used by me once each, minimum. We have a big enough market for Vegas, and I figure LA could be fun / work around well as the Bay Area could work with it.

Simpseatles
May 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
I wonder when flights with Porter are going to come. Surely, if places like Windsor, Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, and Sudbury have them (or are soon getting them) than we are next.

new age
May 18, 2011, 8:45 PM
I have heard the rumor that Porter asked for the landing, and gate fees to be waved, and the airport said no. So Porter will not be coming anytime soon.

Simpseatles
May 18, 2011, 9:35 PM
I have heard the rumor that Porter asked for the landing, and gate fees to be waved, and the airport said no. So Porter will not be coming anytime soon.

Oh man, I hope that's not true.:hell:

go_leafs_go02
May 18, 2011, 11:23 PM
Oh man, I hope that's not true.:hell:

Whatever, if it is - it's Porter being a bunch of cheapskates if you ask me.

new age
May 19, 2011, 10:20 AM
The talks have been off and on before. I was curious a while back about Porter so I asked around, and that is the only lead I got. I tried to look into it more but it went nowhere. Another thing that came up was possible tension over Robert Deluce's past ownership of Air Ontario.

Porter looks to be doing well but it has had it's trials. There was a conflict over a bridge to the airport, ownership of the airport, and Robert J. Deluce's family's past airline ownerships has been criticised.

go_leafs_go02
May 19, 2011, 4:00 PM
I'll be flying into London next week and look forward to seeing the changes to the Airport. New terminal and all that jazz should be good to see :)

Although I personally will miss getting off walking across the tarmac. I personally miss that summer humidity. Just remember my BC girlfriend commenting that it felt like Cuba after her first step out of the plane that first time she came back with me.

K85
Jul 21, 2011, 3:32 AM
London International Airport can become a real alternative to the busier Toronto and Detroit airports after two new flight destinations were added to the London facility’s airport roster, aviation experts say.

WestJet Airlines has announced two new flights flying out of London to Las Vegas and Cancun, Mexico, starting Oct. 30 — a sign that London continues to be a “terrific market” for the Canadian airline, Richard Bartrem, a WestJet spokesperson, said Wednesday.

“WestJet is the largest international carrier in the world to Las Vegas. We looked for the most effective and efficient use of our fleets — we know the London market will be a hit,” Bartrem said.

Convenience is London’s selling point when it comes to competing with the larger Toronto and Detroit airports, said Mike Seabrook, London International Airport’s vice-president.

“Our strategy (in London) is to attract those travellers now driving to the bigger airports by providing that option of an easy airport to use. In time, if we stick to that strategy of being easy, we can become a destination airport.”

About 500,000 travellers fly out of the London airport every year, bringing in an annual revenue of $12 million.

The airport loses 75% of local travellers flying to the U.S., who drive to Detroit to catch a cheaper flight. Between 30% and 40% drive to Toronto’s Pearson International Airport for domestic flights.

Price is the reason for leakage of passengers to the bigger airports, said the president of Uniglobe Travel London.

“It’s a delicate balance, because people will absolutely seek out accessibility and London International Airport is more accessible than Toronto and Detroit. That being said, people will only go so far for convenience, until money becomes an issue,” said Mike Foster.

Being able to provide direct flights is where the potential lies for London International, according to a commercial pilot and former UWO aviation management professor.

“London’s airport is comparatively much better than the airports in Hamilton or Waterloo when it comes to size and infrastructure,” said Doug Glussich.

manny_santos
Jul 21, 2011, 2:16 PM
Travel for me comes down purely to price, regardless of convenience, as long as I don't have to make too many transfers. I'm actually going to O'Hare in Chicago for my next international trip, as it turned out to be the cheapest even after factoring in bus fare to Chicago.

If the need ever arises to fly elsewhere in Canada from London, I would consider flying from London as domestic fares from there are competitive with Pearson after factoring in transportation to Toronto.

K85
Jul 22, 2011, 2:36 AM
If London had decent prices, I would actually travel more. Don't want to use Toronto or Detroit... though I do like Pearson.

Wharn
Jul 23, 2011, 3:30 AM
500,000 people use that dinky little airport?? :stunned:

manny_santos
Jul 23, 2011, 5:34 PM
If London had decent prices, I would actually travel more. Don't want to use Toronto or Detroit... though I do like Pearson.

Detroit's newest terminal, the North Terminal, was just opened in 2008 but I found it disappointing compared to other airports. It is very limited in food services, particularly in the lobby before checking in. Some of the food services they do have are second-rate.

I've never been inside the older McNamara Terminal so I have no idea what kinds of services they have.

sparky212
Jul 23, 2011, 6:36 PM
500,000 people use that dinky little airport?? :stunned:

well its not really that much it only ends up being around 1300 a day give or take a few and thats not factoring the seasonal differences

Snark
Jul 24, 2011, 4:04 AM
Too bad that some of you are not older. You wouldn't slag it as such.http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6140/5969106826_622e128246_b.jpg

Prior to the airport becoming "dinky" (I guess that it was "super dinky" back then prior to becoming "dinky") and currently too commercially busy to hold an air show, I saw pretty much 70% of the high performance aircraft in the world there (as well as 30,000 others taking it all in). It was a sight to behold.

sparky212
Jul 24, 2011, 6:17 AM
Too bad that some of you are not older. You wouldn't slag it as such.http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6140/5969106826_622e128246_b.jpg

Prior to the airport becoming "dinky" (I guess that it was "super dinky" back then prior to becoming "dinky") and currently too commercially busy to hold an air show, I saw pretty much 70% of the high performance aircraft in the world there (as well as 30,000 others taking it all in). It was a sight to behold.

I remember the airshows quite well actualy and I always wondered why they canceled them. Now I know

Simpseatles
Jul 24, 2011, 1:20 PM
This is great news about those WestJet flights from London!:cheers:

Also, I went to the air show once when I was younger! But if moving it to St. Thomas so that the airport can serve more passengers is necessary then I have no complaints.

manny_santos
Jul 24, 2011, 3:49 PM

I went to one of the very last air shows at YXU, in 2003. It was definitely awesome. I have photos somewhere of some of the planes there that I have never scanned.

go_leafs_go02
Jul 25, 2011, 5:51 PM
Westjet can pride themselves on adding those flights, but they removed the direct non-stop summer flights to both Halifax and Vancouver this year. Now that flight was awesome from Vancouver - I would sooner drive to Vancouver, fly to London than do the Abbotsford - Calgary - London route that is available now. Leaving Vancouver and landing right in London, and the mass confusion to passengers that you could get off the back of the plane (this was before the airport was upgraded this year).

Simpseatles
Jul 25, 2011, 6:12 PM
Westjet can pride themselves on adding those flights, but they removed the direct non-stop summer flights to both Halifax and Vancouver this year. Now that flight was awesome from Vancouver - I would sooner drive to Vancouver, fly to London than do the Abbotsford - Calgary - London route that is available now. Leaving Vancouver and landing right in London, and the mass confusion to passengers that you could get off the back of the plane (this was before the airport was upgraded this year).

Ya, losing those seasonal direct flights is really a let down.:( Lets hope they come back someday!

On a side note, does Air Canada Jazz still fly to Montreal? Because I don't see why that wouldn't be successful.

go_leafs_go02
Jul 25, 2011, 6:19 PM
On a side note, does Air Canada Jazz still fly to Montreal? Because I don't see why that wouldn't be successful.

Nope, you gotta go through Toronto to get there.

MrSlippery519
Jul 26, 2011, 12:37 PM
Nope, you gotta go through Toronto to get there.

Ya talk about a pain in the butt...we have an office in Montreal and a direct flight would be nice.

go_leafs_go02
Jul 26, 2011, 4:40 PM
Weird how you can get to Calgary and Winnipeg Direct, but not Montreal...

MolsonExport
Jul 30, 2011, 1:03 AM
Love the expanded terminal lounge. Still really a quite airport. Just got back from France.

Simpseatles
Aug 5, 2012, 5:57 PM
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012/07/23/20017241.html

I know this is old news but it looks like Westjet has dropped it's flights to Winnipeg and Las Vegas while cutting down on the number of flights to Calgary. That, along with the dropped flights to Detroit and the fact that Porter still isn't flying here seems like a blow to the recent expansion and success of the airport. Seriously though, when are we going to get some Porter flights? They fly to practically every other city in Ontario!:(

go_leafs_go02
Aug 8, 2012, 6:56 PM
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012/07/23/20017241.html

I know this is old news but it looks like Westjet has dropped it's flights to Winnipeg and Las Vegas while cutting down on the number of flights to Calgary. That, along with the dropped flights to Detroit and the fact that Porter still isn't flying here seems like a blow to the recent expansion and success of the airport. Seriously though, when are we going to get some Porter flights? They fly to practically every other city in Ontario!:(

It's quite sad actually - I thought you would see Westjet start cutting back flights into Kitchener and Hamilton, and putting more through London.

Heck, 3 years ago, you could fly direct non-stop in the summer to Vancouver and Halifax. Of course, Westjet offered the flight as Vancouver-Halifax flight with a layover in London instead of Toronto, but the few times I took that flight, it always seemed pretty close to being full on the plane.

Simpseatles
Aug 23, 2012, 1:13 PM
Here's a nice picture of the expanded terminal. We may be losing flights right now, but at least we have a snazzy new terminal building that can (and hopefully will) handle more flights once the economy is doing better!:)

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n596/Simpseatles/londonairport.jpg
http://www.londonairport.on.ca/

You can't tell in that picture, but the superfluous jet bridges at either end of the tarmac level walkway have now been removed.

MolsonExport
Aug 24, 2012, 2:44 PM
And Via rail has cut train frequencies to London.

Anything other than highway-based transport is getting the shaft.