PDA

View Full Version : Thematic Maps of Ottawa

rodionx
Apr 17, 2009, 4:35 AM
I found a few interesting maps and directories that each reveal something about the shape of Ottawa. I wasn't sure where to put them, so I'll put them here. If anyone else has similar types of Ottawa-specific maps and directories, please post away.

1. Crime map of Ottawa. Does anyone else read the Ottawa Police crime reports? Anyone? Well, they're hard to navigate, so the police have created a map of Ottawa, still somewhat beta, that shows where the no-goodniks have been active during a given time period. You can see if B&Es are happening in your neighbourhood, for example, and make educated guesses about where the crack houses are. My big complaint about it is that it doesn't account for density, so it makes densely populated, popular night spots look like Fort Apache. Here's the link: Ottawa Crime. (http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/resources/crime_analysis_statistics/index.cfm)

2. Demographic maps of Ottawa neighbourhoods. This site was up last year, and it contained really interesting info. You could find all the key factors that determine whether a neighbourhood will have fancy shops or pawn shops. Unfortunately, the authors took it down for updating, and they are little late in bringing it back. Nevertheless, here is the link to watch: Ottawa Neighbourhoods. (http://www.neighbourhoodstudy.ca/maps/index.shtml)

3. Food inspection reports for all Ottawa restaurants. This isn't exactly a map, but it's a ward by ward directory of eating establishments with links to their latest food inspection report. I'm happy to say that Gabriel's Pizza on Somerset is ok, although they should fill that paper towel dispenser. Greek on Wheels needs to get it together. Still no word on Ceylonta. Here's the link: Food Premise Inspections - Eat Safe Ottawa. (http://ottawa.ca/residents/health/inspections/index_en.html)

YOWflier
Apr 17, 2009, 1:01 PM
The health inspection site is a great idea ... too bad it's of limited use since they don't post results for inspections that occurred prior to Jan 1/09. Most places I searched for have no data available.

jcollins
Apr 17, 2009, 6:23 PM
Great maps rodionx! Thanks.

The crime map was particularly interesting. Although the statistical stuff was a little hard to follow, the google maps thing was nice.

rodionx
Apr 18, 2009, 4:16 AM
Great maps rodionx! Thanks.

The crime map was particularly interesting. Although the statistical stuff was a little hard to follow, the google maps thing was nice.

Glad you liked it. I was thinking of posting that one in your Moving to Ottawa thread to help you figure out where the dodgy parts of Bayshore were. That's quite a nasty stretch along Carling. To my mind, robberies are one of the reddest of red flags for indicating a dodgy neighbourhood. An assault can be something personal like a bar fight or a domestic dispute, but there's no ambiguity around a robbery.

The food inspection reports for some reason had been posted for the places I like, but it's true that most eateries aren't covered yet.

eternallyme
Apr 18, 2009, 2:03 PM
Only one murder so far this year in Ottawa based on that map...that is quite amazing for a city of that size. Typically, a city the size of Ottawa has over 30 murders in a year (something AFAIK Ottawa has never had), and US cities that size often have over 100 murders.

jcollins
Apr 18, 2009, 8:49 PM
Glad you liked it. I was thinking of posting that one in your Moving to Ottawa thread to help you figure out where the dodgy parts of Bayshore were. That's quite a nasty stretch along Carling. To my mind, robberies are one of the reddest of red flags for indicating a dodgy neighbourhood. An assault can be something personal like a bar fight or a domestic dispute, but there's no ambiguity around a robbery.

The food inspection reports for some reason had been posted for the places I like, but it's true that most eateries aren't covered yet.

That's exactly why I found it so useful. I want a safe neighborhood. I know my girlfriend wants to be able to walk back from the bus at night if need be and not be terrified haha.

I think we're leaning towards something in Hintonburg or Centertown (elgin area) now, both looking pretty positive.

Ottawade
Apr 18, 2009, 8:59 PM
Centertown is awesome there are very few rough streets (Bay) to the West and everything else is awesome. I'm a super huge fan of the neighborhood.

rodionx
Apr 19, 2009, 1:12 AM
Centertown is awesome there are very few rough streets (Bay) to the West and everything else is awesome. I'm a super huge fan of the neighborhood.

Bay? The only crime I can see on Bay Street for the last 30 days is a vehicle theft at Bay and Gladstone. There was a B&E around the corner from there, but that's about it. Percy is pretty sleepy, too.

One of the surprises of the Centretown map for me was actually the crime east of Bank Street, especially the hot spots around L'Esplanade Laurier and Jack Purcell Park, respectively. Of course, there's heavy foot traffic in those areas at night because of their proximity to Elgin.

jcollins
Apr 19, 2009, 4:07 PM
But like eternallyme said, all and all, the crime in the city is really low. I was actually a little surprised, I knew it was low, but definitely better than expected.

rodionx
Aug 15, 2009, 2:37 AM
Here's a fun page I never noticed before: you can get a list of recent grow op busts in Ottawa, with handy maps so you can find them before they show up on MLS... http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/serving_ottawa/support_units/drugs_main.cfm .

A property near where I live, and not far from Hudson Park, was busted just four days ago. There's several houses on that lot, and it tells you something that I'm not sure which one it was. Maybe the one with the metal grate over the door and the big dog? Or was it the one that always has a towel covering the front window? Or perhaps it was door number three: beer swilling porch yokels. Not typical of the neighbourhood, though - that property is a holdover from slummier times. The owner has been trying to sell it for years.