PDA

View Full Version : 800 Montreal Road Redevelopment | U/C

waterloowarrior
Apr 15, 2009, 4:41 AM
http://www.clc.ca/properties/800-montreal-road

Canada Lands Company (CLC) is in the process of planning the redevelopment of 800 Montreal Road. This 10-acre (4-hectare) property is located at the south-east corner of Montreal Road and Den Haag Drive and was acquired from Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) by CLC in 2007. The elements of the administration building and forecourt (located nearest to Montreal Road) have been "recognized" by the Federal Heritage Building Review Office. In keeping with our mandate, CLC's intention is to create a redevelopment plan that will complement the surrounding community.

Constructed in the 1950s by PWGSC the building served as the eastern base for the federal government's Forest Products Laboratory, which conducted research into numerous aspects of Canada's forest industry. Changing government priorities led to the closure of the government's forest research program in 1978, and the building was later leased to Forintek a private, non-profit corporation designed to promote forestry research. Forintek ceased operation at the site in 1994.

Currently, CLC is consulting with community stakeholders and area residents to prepare potential redevelopment concepts for the property. Demolition of the non-heritage portion of the existing building was completed in the fall of 2008.

Location (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=rk6n068pxg5x&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=32850417&encType=1)

Public meeting presentation
http://www.clc.ca/en/pr/factsheets/800montreal_040709_EN.pdf

there are a few preliminary site plans in the presentation and other drawings...

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/800montreal.jpg

osirisboy
Apr 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
wow that looks really good!!

phil235
Apr 15, 2009, 2:02 PM
It is really important that they integrate a decent amount of commercial space into the plans. Montreal Road is a surprisingly functional main street despite its astounding ugliness. It should be enhanced in that role as much as possible.

There are clearly enough employment centres in the area to support business development. CMHC has 2000 employees right across the street, the greatly expanded Monfort hospital is 200 m away and the NRC is just further along.

Mille Sabords
Apr 15, 2009, 4:04 PM
The proposal has good bones and it is a good start. Option 1A puts the townhouses next to the green buffer, leaving parking to front on the new street - not good. And in Option 1, the condo at the northeast corner of the site has grass in front of it next to Montreal Road - they have to bring that building forward and relate it to the street better. Other than that, pretty good!

waterloowarrior
Apr 15, 2009, 4:12 PM
I like the density in Option # 2. It seems appropriate, especially with the hospital, CLC Rockcliffe, and other employment areas and schools nearby. There's also good transit and highway access right there. It would be cool to designate the internal roadway (or part of it) as a woonerf or home zone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonerf), or at least keep them quite narrow.

Kitchissippi
Apr 15, 2009, 4:32 PM
I find the concept of a "green buffer" between the old and new residential areas a bit funny, like it's just a way to appease NIMBYism. I think there could be a better use of green space within the site, like a rain garden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_garden) that is more of a central feature rather than create an edge that turns the development into a bordered community apart from the old.

Mille Sabords
Apr 15, 2009, 8:21 PM
I find the concept of a "green buffer" between the old and new residential areas a bit funny, like it's just a way to appease NIMBYism. I think there could be a better use of green space within the site, like a rain garden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_garden) that is more of a central feature rather than create an edge that turns the development into a bordered community apart from the old.

That's actually an excellent point. I don't see a need to wedge these two communities apart whatsoever. A shared parkette that would benefit the two and link them at the same time would be much better than this "buffer", as if right off the bat we assume that people from either side of it won't want to have anything to do with each other.

Davis137
Apr 15, 2009, 8:31 PM
Interesting ideas and information...

waterloowarrior
Sep 28, 2009, 7:55 PM
http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/Letter_to_residents_-_September_24_2009.pdf

September 24, 2009
Dear Sir or Madam,
Subject: 800 Montreal Road Redevelopment

We are contacting you to provide an update on the 800 Montreal Road redevelopment. After meeting
with area residents last April, we continued our discussions with the City of Ottawa and met with
residential builders. As a result of all these discussions, we are now ready to submit the necessary
applications with the City.

The purpose of these applications, which will be submitted in the very near future, is to create the legal
boundaries of the development blocks, modify the zoning to allow retirement living use and to increase
the height limits for the north section of Block A to a maximum of 12 storeys. CLC will also be applying
to construct a municipal street. The attached plan illustrates the resulting development block
boundaries and land uses.

The project should be reviewed by the City of Ottawa over the fall and winter, using the supporting
plans and studies submitted by CLC. CLC and the City will continue to inform and consult citizens
through both a community information meeting followed by a formal public meeting that will be held
during the City’s review and processing of the applications and before any formal recommendations are
made.

Later this year CLC will be initiate a process to select builders for these development blocks. Builders’
proposals will be subject to CLC’s predetermined quality criteria. Builders whose proposals are selected
by CLC must then submit their project to the City of Ottawa for a Site Plan Approval process. CLC will be
supervising implementation by ensuring the compliance of the projects carried out by the builders.

CLC will provide future updates on the progress of the development on our website, through the
Rockcliffe Mews Residents Association newsletter and by e-mail to our mailing list. If you wish to be on
the mailing list or if you have any questions or comments about the project or the approval process, you
may contact us by e-mail at 800montreal@videotron.ca or by telephone at 613-941-5843.

Yours truly,
Norm Jarus
General Manager - Real Estate, Ontario

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/montrealrd_subdivision.jpg

Here's another artist conception on the Canada Lands site
http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/800Montreal_header2.jpg

rakerman
Oct 10, 2009, 12:47 PM
Is there any reuse of the existing buildings? I've ridden the bus past there on the way to work for years and thought that those buildings look solid and good for nice lofts.

waterloowarrior
Oct 22, 2009, 2:50 AM
application is in
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__7S7JE9

waterloowarrior
Oct 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
Canada Lands to redevelop 800 Montreal Rd.
By Jim Donnelly, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Thu, Oct 22, 2009 11:00 AM EST
http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/322515063577729.php

The Canada Lands Company is preparing to redevelop a 10-acre property at the apex of Montreal Road and Den Haag Drive, according to the Crown corporation.

The property, acquired by CLC from Public Works in 2007, features a 60-year-old heritage building and under CLC's redevelopment plan would see 140 units of retirement living, 240-290 condominiums in two buildings and 76-80 units of stacked townhomes constructed on the site.

CLC spokesperson Rodger Martin told OBJ that the Crown corporation has submitted a series of zoning modification applications with the city. Those include an application to allow a retirement home on the site, to increase height limits for the most northeast section to 12 storeys and to construct a municipal street through the site, to run from Montreal Road to Den Haag Drive.

When asked the approximate value of the site, just east of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. headquarters, Mr. Martin declined comment.

In a letter no nearby residents in September, CLC general manager of real estate for Ontario Norm Jarus said the company had already met with local residential builders and will issue a request for proposals later in the year. Local residents were allowed a series of public consultations on the project, the last of which took place last April.

And while Mr. Martin acknowledged community concerns were voiced about the height of the tallest condominium building and increased traffic on Den Haag, he said much of the commentary indicated the design plan fits well with the neighbourhood.

The site includes several acres of treed, grassy open space and an existing federal heritage building. The building was constructed in the 1950s and once housed Forintek, a private, non-profit corporation which promoted forestry research. The company moved out in 1994.

rocketphish
Oct 27, 2009, 12:47 AM
I'm always amazed at how long it can take the regular press to find out about some development proposals. Heck, we all knew about this over 6 months ago, and OBJ is writing about it like it's a brand new idea.

waterloowarrior
Sep 4, 2010, 2:22 PM
The City plans to buy part of the site for affordable housing

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2010/09-08/reportindex58A/01%20-%20ACS2010-COS-CSS-0015%20800%20Montreal%20Rd_files/image001.jpg

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2010/09-08/reportindex58A/01%20-%20ACS2010-COS-CSS-0015%20800%20Montreal%20Rd.htm

waterloowarrior
Sep 20, 2010, 11:06 PM
Staff report, approval recommendation (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2010/09-28/6%20-%20ACS2010-ICS-PGM-0168%20-%20Zoning%20-%20800%20Montreal%20Road.htm)

Dundas
Jan 18, 2011, 5:45 AM
Here's an update on this site.

Committee OKs two projects

OTTAWA CITIZEN JANUARY 12, 2011 COMMENTS (1)

Despite protests by neighbouring residents, two developments were approved by city council's planning committee Tuesday.

A five-block 650-unit development project at 800 Montreal Rd. that is to include six apartment buildings, retirement homes and a park, was given the go-ahead, although a number of delegations argued that the development was out of scale with the neighbourhood and would cause traffic and shadowing problems for existing residents.

Meanwhile, public delegates and councillors spent more than an hour arguing over a 20-unit apartment building proposed for 934 and 938 Hunt Club Rd. Neighbouring homeowners argued against the plan citing, among other things, traffic pressures that would be caused by the development.

Councillor Diane Deans tried to have the decision deferred for two weeks so that the public could be further consulted, but the committee voted against postponement after Councillor Jan Harder argued that a meeting would not assuage the residents' concerns.

"To defer this will be to give the people involved false hope," said Harder.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Committee+projects/4095976/story.html#ixzz1BMYk11BS

c_speed3108
Jan 18, 2011, 1:46 PM
:tup: Excellent!

Davis137
Jan 18, 2011, 2:37 PM
Wow, they actually approved more than half of this thing? This is likely the largest development I've heard of for Ottawa that's been given the go ahead...

BRETeam
Jan 19, 2011, 11:03 PM
I received the Sales Brochure for this the other day on PDF.
If you're interested, message me and I'll forward via email.

It's a tendering process.

Four Independent Land Parcels Available For Sale
2.4 acres - Two condominium buildings (8 and 12 storeys)
1.5 acres - 140 unit Seniors Residence (6 to 8 storeys)
2.9 acres - 80 unit Stacked Townhomes (4 storeys)
1 acre - 22 unit Rear Lane Townhomes

BRETeam
Jan 19, 2011, 11:07 PM
Is there any reuse of the existing buildings? I've ridden the bus past there on the way to work for years and thought that those buildings look solid and good for nice lofts.

Yes.

Part 2 – Block B – 1.5 acres
Seniors building – 6-8 storey – 140 units
Incorporate Heritage Forintek Building 20,000 sq ft

**** From the Brochure ****
Improvements and Heritage Elements:
Part 2 - Block B is proposed as a Seniors Independent Living
Facility. It is intended that the common amenity facilities for
the Seniors housing be accommodated in the former “Forintek
Administration Building” linked to the proposed Seniors building.
This two storey structure contains a gross fl oor area of 20,700
sf distributed over 3 fl oors. Built in 1958, the remaining structure
was part of a larger complex consisting of a laboratory wing
(demolished in 2008).

The complex was designed by architect,
Cecil Burgess of Burgess and Maclean Architects. The Forintek
Building was designated by The Federal Heritage Buildings
Review Offi ce (FHBRO) in 1997 as “recognized.”

A copy of “FORINTEK ADMINISTRATIVE WING: HERITAGE
CONSERVATION GUIDELINES AND DEMONSTRATION”
prepared by Barry Padolsky Associates Inc. Architects is available
within the Electronic Data Room. Site inspections of the building
are available upon request. Previous interior improvements have
been removed.

c_speed3108
Mar 14, 2011, 3:57 PM
Status is now: "Appealed to OMB"

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__7S7JE9

kwoldtimer
Mar 14, 2011, 4:57 PM
Ottawa sure keeps the OMB busy! :rolleyes:

phil235
Mar 15, 2011, 1:00 PM
I work right beside this site, and it is absolutely ridiculous that anyone would be appealing it. It is right on a major arterial and is surrounded by a large office complex, a 20+ storey apartment buidling and some new row houses that were built in the last years or so well after it was clear that this site was abandoned and would be redeveloped.

The real problem, as I see it, is that there is no attempt at retail/streetfront presence. There is clearly room to create some services for the neighbouring area in a more walkable format. I am quite confident that this is not the goal of the OMB appeal.

gjhall
Mar 15, 2011, 6:11 PM
I work right beside this site, and it is absolutely ridiculous that anyone would be appealing it. It is right on a major arterial and is surrounded by a large office complex, a 20+ storey apartment buidling and some new row houses that were built in the last years or so well after it was clear that this site was abandoned and would be redeveloped.

The real problem, as I see it, is that there is no attempt at retail/streetfront presence. There is clearly room to create some services for the neighbouring area in a more walkable format. I am quite confident that this is not the goal of the OMB appeal.

There is a little old lady who owns the house across the street who has an admittedly lovey front garden that the sun shade study showed would be in darkness a lot from the tallest building on the site.

I bet it's her or the CA on her behalf. Not a really valid reason as Mtl road is not supposed to be a row of little houses, but understandable why she may be upset.

But this is just a guess.

phil235
Mar 15, 2011, 8:09 PM
There is a little old lady who owns the house across the street who has an admittedly lovey front garden that the sun shade study showed would be in darkness a lot from the tallest building on the site.

I bet it's her or the CA on her behalf. Not a really valid reason as Mtl road is not supposed to be a row of little houses, but understandable why she may be upset.

But this is just a guess.

I think you must be right. Her house is surrounded by a new Rexall superstore and a complex of stacked townhouses, and is across from the 8-storey CMHC office tower. Surely the writing is on the wall as to what this street will be (or rather the writing was on the wall in 1976 or so when the neighbouring 20-storey apartment tower was built). It seems quite doubtful that this appeal will make much difference.

waterloowarrior
Oct 1, 2011, 6:05 PM
July 25, 2011 – CLC has completed the sale of three of the site’s development blocks and is continuing to market the remaining two blocks through DTZ Barnicke. The contract for the construction of the internal road and services has been awarded and work is expected commence around the beginning of August. Building activities on the sold blocks are not anticipated to commence until late this year or early next year.

http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/Client/JJB/JJBNA%20Web%20Listing%20db.nsf/bf9f475b737940fe852570d9000fbe36/ed93fb074d36259585257814005fb9b9/Picture/0.84!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif
http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/Client/JJB/JJBNA%20Web%20Listing%20db.nsf/bf9f475b737940fe852570d9000fbe36/ed93fb074d36259585257814005fb9b9!OpenDocument

rocketphish
Apr 15, 2012, 5:04 PM
Aviation Private
http://www.valecraft.com/communities/available/aviation/

And from yesterday's Ottawa Citizen:

Taking flight after 30 years

Valecraft marks anniversary with aviation-themed development

By Patrick Langston, Ottawa Citizen, April 14, 2012

When the doors swing open at the launch of Aviation Private April 28, they'll do so smoothly if Jean-Guy Rivard has his way. The owner of Valecraft Homes, which is building the east-end project of condominium terrace homes and towns, recently turned 75, but he's still on the job three decades after founding the company. That means still attending to details.

"I like to get involved on the (building) site, look at how to make things better," says Rivard. He was speaking from his vacation home in Florida, but was to be back well before the launch that marks the company's 30th anniversary. "I always check the door swings - it's a little thing, but it's important."

Aviation Private, on Montreal Road near the Montfort Hospital, will consist of 84 executive terrace homes and 22 townhomes. The terraces, which start at $289,900, are being launched now, the towns in the fall.

The three-storey, walk-up terraces with stone-and-brick exteriors feature six appliances, hardwood floors in the living/dining room and ceramic tile or carpet elsewhere and rented, tankless hot-water heaters.

In a nod to the nearby Aviation Parkway and Canada Aviation and Space Museum, the units are named for famous Canadian pilots. The MacLaren, for example, honours First World War flying ace Donald Roderick MacLaren, an Ottawa native who brought down 48 German aircraft and six observation balloons.

Rivard has been steering projects like this since founding his awardwinning company in 1982. An Energy Star builder, the company constructs about 120 homes a year and Rivard still has his hand in land acquisition and home design.

"Everyone asks when I'm going to retire, but I guess that's when they're going to take me to that little lot in Beechwood (Cemetery).

"I have no intention of retiring - I wouldn't know what to do. I enjoy working, spending two or three hours a day. I like being outside at the sites."

Rivard, who describes himself as a country boy, is from Treadwell, Ont., a small community east of Ottawa. He left home in the early 1950s to become a teenaged apprentice plumber at 60 cents an hour.

He went on to open his own plumbing business in the mid-1960s, eventually parlaying that into home building. "I always had this dream of construction. I love designing houses," he says.

"I know what it's like being on a roof in January," he adds, underscoring the point that nothing came to him on a silver platter and that he understands construction safety.

That concern with safety, which he says was terrible in the late 1960s, prompted him to launch a safety committee at the Ottawa-Carleton Home Builders' Association - forerunner to today's Greater Ottawa Home Builders' Association - and eventually become director of Ontario's Construction Safety Association. He also served as president of the Ottawa-Carleton Home Builders' Association.

Skyrocketing interest rates in the early 1980s gave him the break he needed. With mortgage rates hovering at 19 per cent and the housing market in a tailspin, he was able to buy 40 lots in Orléans' Chatelaine Village at a good price from Campeau Corporation.

"We built small singles, 1,400 or 1,500 square feet. They had a single-car garage and 1½ baths. People weren't that demanding back then and we offered a three-per-cent down payment because of the high interest rates."

Since then, Valecraft has chalked up any number of other successful projects in town and out, including homes in Embrun, Cardinal Trail in Orléans, Deerfield in the south and Echo Woods in Stittsville.

Five years ago, it launched Bradley Estates bordering the Mer Bleue Bog on Ottawa's east side. The project, where new homes are still going up, is the result of Rivard's business acumen and community connections.

He bought the 36 acres back in 1990 after owners Keith and Marlene Bradley, whom he'd met two decades previously, contacted him because they wanted to sell the land. It had been in the family as farmland since the 1800s, but the couple's children had grown and left home so it was time to unload the property.

Rivard hung on to the prime chunk of real estate for years, finally teaming up with multinational Monarch Homes in a deal that saw Monarch acquire lots in Bradley Estates and Valecraft buy land in Monarch's desirable golf-course community of Stonebridge in Ottawa's south end.

Rivard's company, which he boasts has never missed a closing date, is also still building at sohowest in Kanata. The development, where Tartan and Monarch are also working, is Ottawa's first wired and wireless community.

Projects in the next year will include urban flats and stacked units in Barrhaven and near the airport.

Rivard, whose stepson and sonin-law both work for the company, has seen the building industry change. "People say, 'Build it the old way.' But never, never build a house the old way - those things were not so well built. Technology has brought a much better product. Houses don't settle anymore and you don't see nail pops (in the walls) and other problems anymore."

Despite those changes, "the quality and service and the way you present yourself to the people hasn't changed."

With the slowing of the singlefamily home market, Valecraft, like others, has expanded its product range. Towns, says Rivard, are a big market because they are affordable for a new generation of buyers with different expectations. "We finish the basements because young people don't have the time to do that anymore."

With Aviation Private, Valecraft is targeting a mostly younger demographic, says Frank Nieuwkoop, director of sales and marketing. He anticipates particular interest from people who work at the Montfort Hospital, as well as nearby Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. and Cité Collégiale. The location is also minutes from downtown.

The terrace homes, says Nieuwkoop, will offer "condo living but without the big building with 200 units that's busy all the time. Owners can close their door and walk away. It's good for people focusing on their careers who don't want to come home and cut the grass or shovel snow."

The towns, he says, will feature more than 20 slightly different designs: a bigger bedroom here, a different kitchen location there. Described as rear-lane townhomes, they'll feature back lanes and garages in the rear of the buildings.

Whether the towns will be condos or freeholds is yet to be decided.

Aviation Private, with its closeto-downtown location and higher density, is in line with the City of Ottawa's intensification goals.

However, Rivard isn't worried about building further afield.

"Agriculture is very important for everyone," he says, "but there's so much land out there doing nothing. We take 100 hectares but there's thousands of hectares waiting to be cultivated and nobody's doing it. (Urban sprawl) is part of life: there's a lot of people who don't want to live downtown; they want bigger lots and more fresh air."

But really, he'd much rather talk about his homes and soon steers the conversation back to that.

"Every house has my name on it. If there's a problem and you send a letter or call me, you'll get a reply. I'll even go there. We still call ourselves a family business."

AVIATION PRIVATE

What: Condominium terrace homes from 1,251 square feet; townhomes to follow this autumn
Builder: Valecraft Homes
Price: Terraces starting at $289,900; condo fees about $120 a month; outdoor parking, $10,000
Sales office: 800 Montreal Rd.
Hours: Monday to Thursday, noon to 7 p.m.; Friday to Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.

From: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Taking+flight+after+years/6458617/story.html#ixzz1s86lJR73

rakerman
Apr 7, 2013, 1:39 PM
http://www.valecraft.com/communities/available/aviation/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8541/8626919885_1690206d21.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/8626919885/)
IMG_4790 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rakerman/8626919885/) by rakerman (http://www.flickr.com/people/rakerman/), on Flickr

rocketphish
Aug 31, 2013, 9:47 PM
Looking south from Montreal Rd. along Den Haag Rd. (probably the yellow Block 'C' from the above siteplan). Note that they are working on a Saturday too.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3690/9637629257_e7d60e6fe0_b.jpg
Photo by me (August 31, 2013)

J.OT13
Sep 1, 2013, 4:27 PM
So their keeping the old building? If so, glad to hear it.

rocketphish
Sep 2, 2013, 12:07 AM
So their keeping the old building? If so, glad to hear it.

The Forintek building? Oh yes, CLC made sure of that. "Built in 1958, the remaining structure was part of a larger complex consisting of a laboratory wing (demolished in 2008). The complex was designed by architect, Cecil Burgess of Burgess and Maclean Architects. The Forintek Building was designated by The Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office (FHBRO) in 1997 as “recognized.”"

from: http://www.dtzbarnicke.com... (http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/Client/JJB/JJBNA%20Web%20Listing%20db.nsf/bf9f475b737940fe852570d9000fbe36/ed93fb074d36259585257814005fb9b9/$FILE/800%20Montreal-DTZ%20flyer-June%202011.pdf)

waterloowarrior
Jan 29, 2014, 1:47 AM
retirement home zoning by-law amendment - 7 fl /180 units. To be run by All Seniors Care
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9URXT5

rocketphish
Jan 29, 2014, 3:27 AM
Seniors building proposed for 800 Montreal Road

Ottawa West News, Jan 09, 2014
By Michelle Nash

A proposal for a seven-storey retirement home on Montreal Road is among the items on the planning committee agenda on Jan. 14.

The proposal for a 180-room senior living building is part of a larger redevelopment project for 800 Montreal Rd.

Purchased by Canada Lands Company in 2007, the former forestry research building has been parcelled off into four pieces and sold off individually. This development is part of the onehectare property CLC divided into four blocks, with townhomes to the south and an 11-storey apartment building to the west.

The eastern portion of the site has been purchased by All Seniors Capital Care Limited, which is in the process of submitting a site plan proposal to develop an Lshaped retirement residence building.

Spokeswoman Marie France Lalonde said the proposal aims help fill the demand for more seniors living in the city's east end.

"We found that there was a greater need in the east end of Ottawa and the company is focused on providing living residence for people to age in place," Lalonde said. "The building will have individual units as well as assisted living."

The company owns and operates 22 seniors living residences across Canada, with three projects currently under construction.

The Montreal Road project, Lalonde said, will be a great addition, with its close proximity to the Montfort Hospital, shops and restaurants.

"We feel we will be a part of a community," she said. "Being close to the hospital, we see this as a great advantage for seniors." The company is seeking some zoning amendments, including a reduction to the minimum interior side yard setback from 7.5 metres to the current city standard of 6.5 metres.

It's also looking to add parking for the building, which Lalonde explained is because many seniors who move in own a car.

"We want to ensure there is enough parking for residents, staff and guests," she said.

The building design Lalonde said would be similar in style and size to a couple of the company's other developments in Beacon Heights and Chapel Hill.

"It will look comparable to the other buildings, but we also try to adapt based on the other buildings in the neighbourhood," Lalonde said. The former governmentowned site at 800 Montreal Rd. is changing quickly.

Before purchased by Canada Lands, the original 1950sera building and property served as the eastern base for the government's forest products laboratory.

The forestry program closed in 1978, and soon after the private forestry research non-profit company Forintek leased the building until it ceased operation in 1994.

Canada Lands consulted with area residents in preparation of the type of development for the large area.

The administration building was recognized by the Federal Heritage Building Review Office in 1997. All the non-heritage portions of the building were demolished in 2008.

Currently of the four parcels of land, three parcels are either under construction or going through the city's application process for development. The forth parcel, which includes the heritage building, is still being advertised for sale.

Facing Den Haag Drive, an 11-storey affordable housing project is currently under construction. Owned by OCISO Non-profit Housing Corporation, the project is scheduled to be complete by this summer.

After receiving approval in May 2012, Valecraft Homes has constructed townhomes fronting Den Haag and LeBoutillier Avenue.

A meeting concerning Valecraft's second phase of construction for 22 rear-lane townhomes will take place on Jan. 15 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Collège catholique Samuel-Genest, room 181.

According to Valcraft's plans on the city's website, the new phase of development will consist of three buildings.

Each will be served by this proposed private laneway, to be known as Matador Private. The buildings will be three and a half storeys in height, with two of the buildings fronting on LeBoutiller and one facing an internal walkway.

It is the developer's intention for Matador Private and the walkway to form the common elements of this condominium.

Lalonde said the company is excited to be a part of this large-scale development.

"I think its going to be beautiful," she said.

"We feel we will be part of a concept. When people move here, maybe they will live in one of the townhomes, and at some point in the future, move into our building. This will give people the choice to stay within the community of their choice."

Both the All Seniors Capital Care's and Valcraft's applications are available to view on the city's development application website.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/4311051-seniors-building-proposed-for-800-montreal-road/

rocketphish
Jan 29, 2014, 4:06 AM
Project Name: Action Ottawa 800 Montreal Road Project
Summary: Construction of 8 Storey 75 Unit Apartment Building for Affordable Housing
Owner: OCISO Non-Profit Housing Corporation
Architect: Christopher Simmonds Architect
Value: $15.2 Million
Completion: Summer 2014
Contractor: Warlyn Construction
Form of Contract: Construction Management

http://www.warlyn.com/Portals/Warlyn/PropertyAgent/1151/Images/6012.jpg

http://www.warlyn.com/Projects/tabid/501/agentType/View/PropertyID/1600/Default.aspx

rocketphish
Jan 29, 2014, 4:09 AM
retirement home zoning by-law amendment - 7 fl /180 units. To be run by All Seniors Care
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9URXT5

All Seniors Capital Care Limited is proposing to construct a 7-story multi-unit seniors residence and assisted living facility fronting onto Montreal Rd. and the recently completed Unity St. The contemplated development would include approximately 180 residential units with ground level parking.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/12199937314_ae10a70de9_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/12199937414_3db466875e_o.jpg

phil235
Jan 29, 2014, 2:06 PM
Project Name: Action Ottawa 800 Montreal Road Project
Summary: Construction of 8 Storey 75 Unit Apartment Building for Affordable Housing
Owner: OCISO Non-Profit Housing Corporation
Architect: Christopher Simmonds Architect
Value: $15.2 Million
Completion: Summer 2014
Contractor: Warlyn Construction
Form of Contract: Construction Management

http://www.warlyn.com/Portals/Warlyn/PropertyAgent/1151/Images/6012.jpg

http://www.warlyn.com/Projects/tabid/501/agentType/View/PropertyID/1600/Default.aspx

I had no idea this was affordable housing. It's largely up already, and doesn't look half bad. Definitely better than the faux-suburban seniors residence.

McC
Jan 29, 2014, 3:47 PM
... the faux-suburban seniors residence.

It's like a creepy love child of Place des Gouverneurs and *that* industrial park office building. (which industrial park office building? only all of them)

phil235
Jan 29, 2014, 3:53 PM
It's like a creepy love child of Place des Gouverneurs and *that* industrial park office building. (which industrial park office building? only all of them)

That's what it is! I knew it looked familiar.

waterloowarrior
Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 PM
more zoning tweaks
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/item.aspx?itemid=315693

waterloowarrior
Nov 28, 2014, 1:13 AM
seniors home received a foundation permit

Baigle
Dec 3, 2014, 2:21 AM
Large crane just got installed on this yesterday so looks like it will be full steam ahead.

rocketphish
Feb 16, 2016, 6:38 PM
Not new news, but interesting nonetheless.

From Canada Lands Company's website (http://en.clc.ca/property/8):

"Following a lengthy and exhaustive marketing effort on the last remaining development block (B) Canada Lands was unable to generate an offer to purchase from a party willing to re-purpose the existing ‘Administration Building’. Canada Lands has relisted the property eliminating the stipulation to preserve/re-use the building and hopes to have a sale early in 2015."

They are talking about the former Forintek Administration Building, built in 1958, a recognized Federal heritage building. So what exactly is meant by "eliminating the stipulation to preserve/re-use the building"? Can the purchaser just abandon the building?

MaxHeadroom
Feb 17, 2016, 3:42 PM
So what exactly is meant by "eliminating the stipulation to preserve/re-use the building"? Can the purchaser just abandon the building?

I read that as an euphemism for saying the purchaser can demolish it.

MoreTrains
Feb 17, 2016, 7:34 PM
I read that as an euphemism for saying the purchaser can demolish it.

Yep. That is exactly what it says.

rocketphish
Feb 18, 2016, 2:37 AM
Yep. That is exactly what it says.

Yes, that's how I read it too. But, it's a recognized Federal Heritage Building. Does that not carry any weight these days?

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=4659

MoreTrains
Feb 18, 2016, 2:31 PM
Yes, that's how I read it too. But, it's a recognized Federal Heritage Building. Does that not carry any weight these days?

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=4659

Well, evidently if the CLC cannot sell the land with the requirement to re-use/re-purpose the building it loses its designation. I acknowledge it is a terrible reason, but they do own the land as soon as the Feds declare it surplus.

This is why the feds should stop declaring land surplus. They will need it in the future, and I am sure by the time the future comes around there will be no more land to replace what was sold off. The federal heritage buildings should remain with annual maintenance to prevent their self-destruction and to ensure a quicker move in once it is realized they are necessary to operations.

acottawa
Feb 18, 2016, 3:40 PM
It seems to me Canada Lands did its due diligence and tried to find a buyer that wanted the building. If nobody wants the building then it doesn't make sense to me to pay for maintenance, heating, etc forever. It is a huge waste of money (and energy). I think most people would identify it as a nondescript 1950s office building. I suppose it is a good example of 1950s sprawl. Maybe Parks Canada could take over, dress its staff up like 1950s office workers and teach schoolchildren about tailfins.