PDA

View Full Version : Province to spend $145.3m on 8 new schools/upgrades

Spitfire75
Apr 14, 2009, 9:33 PM
A list of where new schools will be built and which existing ones are slated for renovations from The Chronicle Herald. (http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9011397.html)

Annapolis Valley School Regional Board:

New:
Digby/Clementsport P-5,replacing Clark Rutherford, $9.3 million, opening 2014Renovations:
Aldershot Elementary, $4 million
Annapolis West Education Centre, $1.4 million
Bridgetown Regional High, $2.78 million
Evangeline Middle School, $1.3 million
Hantsport, $2.97 million
Three Mile Plains, $4.64 million
Wolfville, $4.64 millionCape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board:

Renovations:
Breton Education Centre, $8.91 million
Dr. T.L. Sullivan Junior High, $1.03 million
MacDonald Elementary, $3.94 million
Malcolm Munroe Junior High, $2.58 million
Memorial High, $8.74 million
Seton Elementary, $2.81 million
Whitney Pier Junior High, $4.5 millionChignecto-Central Regional School Board:

New:
Bible Hill Elementary, $9.6 million, opening 2015
New Glasgow P-8, $18.3 million, opening 2013Renovations:
Cobequid Consolidated, $4.5 million
Cobequid Education Centre, $8.74 million
Hants East Rural High, $10.2 million
River Hebert, $6 million
Shubenacadie District, $4.06 million
Springhill Elementary, $4.92 million
Tatamagouche Elementary, $5.46 million
Uniacke, $4.64 million
Valley Elementary, $1 millionConseil scolaire acadien provincial:

Renovations:
Centre scolaire Etoile de l'Acadie, $2.42 million
Beauport, $206,000
Carrefour, $580,000
Ecole Jean Marie Gay/Ecole Joseph-Dugas, $4.06 million
Ecole Secondaire d'Halifax (addition), $2.64 million
Ecole St. Albert/Ecole Stella Maris, $3.82 million
Ecole Wedgeport, $5.03 millionHalifax Regional School Board:

New:
Bedford High, $34.2 million, opening 2012
Joseph Howe replacement, Halifax, $15 million, opening 2013
LeMarchant-St. Thomas replacement, Halifax, $13.2 million, opening 2014
Prince Arthur/Southdale-North Woodside replacement, Dartmouth, $24.3 million, opening 2014Renovations:
Dartmouth High, $11.85 million
Inglis Street, $4.99 millionStrait Regional School Board:

Renovations:
Fanning Academy, $2.39 million
H.M. MacDonald, $3.48 million
Mulgrave Memorial, $1.69 million
St. Mary's Academy, $1.55 millionSouth Shore School Board:

New:
Lunenburg P-9, $21.5 million, opening 2011Renovations:
Bridgewater Elementary, $2 million
New Ross Consolidated, $250,000
Park View Education Centre, $2 millionTri-County Regional School Board:

Renovations:
Clark's Harbour, $3.48 million
Yarmouth Elementary, $5.8 million

Spitfire75
Apr 14, 2009, 9:41 PM
I just noticed this was already posted somewhere else. Delete this thread please.

Waye Mason
Apr 15, 2009, 1:33 AM
I don't see it anywhere else.

LMST? I mean, its cool that my property values will go up with a new school, but I didn't think that was on our list. By that I mean the HRSB wish list

Dmajackson
Apr 15, 2009, 2:37 AM
I did add this to the "General Updates and News" thread but I think its better if it has its own thread.

I'm glad and irritated at the same time for the Bedford one. It's nice to see a replacement for the aging CPA (which i attend) but I'm also irritated that Mr. Lewis came on the PA system bragging about the new school that opens after everyone currently at CPA graduates.

Waye Mason
Apr 15, 2009, 10:35 AM
Andrew Younger on the CBC this morning pointing out the list doesn't mean it gets done, as the Prince Andrew renovations announced years ago, and are supposed to be done by 2011/12, have not started yet. And now they are not even on the list of renovations yet to do.

gm_scott
Apr 15, 2009, 8:41 PM
I did add this to the "General Updates and News" thread but I think its better if it has its own thread.

I'm glad and irritated at the same time for the Bedford one. It's nice to see a replacement for the aging CPA (which i attend) but I'm also irritated that Mr. Lewis came on the PA system bragging about the new school that opens after everyone currently at CPA graduates.
So CPA is getting replaced right? But what about all these extra people Bedford is supposed to accommodate is the future, or is that a problem we should worry about in the future?

Dmajackson
Apr 15, 2009, 9:00 PM
So CPA is getting replaced right? But what about all these extra people Bedford is supposed to accommodate is the future, or is that a problem we should worry about in the future?

Yes it is. What we were told was a new high school was going to be built, the high school would move there and the junior high would move into the current building because they are also above capacity. I don't have BJH's numbers but CPA is designed for 800 students and there are currently over 1200 enrolled (at 150% of its designed capacity).

I believe some land is set aside in Bedford West for a new high school in the long term that should serve Bedford South/West and Hammonds Plains.

I'm wondering though were the new school will be located. There isn't much space for such a big school left out here.

gm_scott
Apr 15, 2009, 10:33 PM
Thats good because BJH is not the prettiest school.

Maybe the school will be located further up Rocky Lake Rd.

Waye Mason
Apr 15, 2009, 11:44 PM
Lot of ifs in the statement about "all the people Bedford will get in the future". If the economy allows Bedford west to be built and if the people moving in have kids. The number of school age kids is dropping rapidly in NS. I think CPA is a fine building but Bedford needs a Citadel HS size school with auditorium and double gym/community centre. If the new developments happen maybe we build Bedford West High. ;)