PDA

View Full Version : Folsom/El Dorado

econgrad
Apr 10, 2009, 12:26 AM
Old Folsom Awaits More Construction
Written for the web byPosted By: Karen Massie, Reporter

FOLSOM, CA - For six years shop owners have struggled to survive in old Folsom.

Jim Snook, owner of Snooks Chocolate Factory and Historic District Association president, said business is better now that the new Folsom Lake bridge is open.

"Traffic isn't nearly as bad as it was," Snook said.

Many customers avoided shops along Sutter Street after Folsom Dam Road was closed in the aftermath of 9/11 and traffic gridlock resulted. The dam road replacement, Folsom Lake Crossing, opened to traffic March 28.

Snook said business is great. "The greatest part is the historic district's customer can get here. It's much easier to get here because they don't have to deal with all the commuter traffic."

Now some shop owners are worried about a new streetscape project scheduled to begin in mid-July.

"We appreciate that the community is a little nervous about impacts during construction," said Folsom Assistant Manager Everet Palmer. "The city's commitment is that we will minimize the impacts to the greatest degree possible and make sure customers can get to stores during construction."

The city of Folsom is spending $6.8 million on refurbishing Sutter Street. Workers will eliminate a median and trees in the middle of the street that were put on top of old Highway 50 in the 1960s. Tree roots run across the top of the ground and are breaking up stone edging and the street.

"It's time for it to go," said antique shop owner Richard Gray. He helped plant trees in the median.

"The merchants decided they wanted some shade," explained Gray. "We tried to break through the concrete and weren't successful. The city didn't have the money to do it. Therefore, the trees never got down to the dirt zone and the roots have been squeezed between the asphalt and the concrete."

Plans also call for eliminating crumbling shed-like roofs on buildings and replacing them with awnings, canopies and second- story balconies. Workers will also widen sloping, uneven and broken sidewalks and rebuilding them to allow better access for the disabled.

Snook said electrical systems will also get much needed upgrades. "We had the lights go out three times in the last two weeks because the electricity went out," he said.

Snook said he believes the street renovation project may actually draw some customers to the area. "That's what we're hoping for. People have a passion for the historic district and they want to see what's going on," he said.

He and other shops owners also hope customers will stop and spend some money, too.

The Folsom streetscape project will be done in two phases. The first part that starts in July is expected to be finished in September. Next year work will begin again in the spring and officials say construction will be complete in the fall of 2010.

econgrad
Apr 10, 2009, 12:27 AM
What locals think about Folsom's newest bridge
Word on the Street
By Don Chaddock, The Telegraph
Don Chaddock/The Telegraph
Tyler Clark, Folsom

What do you think of the new bridge opening?

Asked at Folsom Connection 2009 byu Telegraph Editor Don Chaddock

"I'm very excited because it will allow easy access to our community and easy egress from our community. It will help businesses, commuters, everyone," Marc Chan, Folsom.

"I am so elated for my wife and I. We go over to Roseville so much. I'm hoping it will take about 15 minutes off the drive," Ed Pesce, El Dorado Hills.

"I'm a sales rep for a printing company and drive a lot. The bridge will help as I do a lot of driving around the area," Dave Schaefer, Elk Grove.

"It's exciting. It will be good for the businesses and people will have more time for the day because they won't be fighting traffic," Tyler Clark, Folsom.

"I think it's going to be a huge relief for Folsom because of all the congestion that's built up over the last few year. It will be nice to see the streets cleared up," Jeff Jackson, Folsom.

"It will help us get around more," Linda McPherson, El Dorado Hills.

"I like it. We can go more places," Erika Fehr, 3.

Majin
Apr 10, 2009, 2:38 AM
http://www.pspsps.tv/tumbleweed.jpg

econgrad
Apr 10, 2009, 5:50 AM
^
I actually laughed my freakin head off man!

econgrad
Apr 10, 2009, 12:52 PM
Folsom Lake Crossing Opens March 28
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - City of Folsom

FOLSOM - Shorter travel time is on the horizon for 26,000 daily commuters after Saturday's opening of Folsom Lake Crossing, the new bridge just downstream from Folsom Dam. Congressional leaders will join residents, business owners and commuters for the opening day celebration.

Folsom Lake Crossing festivities kick off at 10 a.m. Saturday with speeches by elected officials and dignitaries. Following an 11:15 a.m. ribbon cutting ceremony, the bridge will open to pedestrians for a community festival featuring live music, exhibits, and food and beverage vendors. The festival ends at 1:30 p.m., at which time the bridge will be cleared in preparation for opening to vehicular traffic at 4 p.m.

Folsom Lake Crossing reconnects a vital corridor between E. Natoma Street and Folsom-Auburn Road and provides a direct route from Folsom and El Dorado County to Placer County and beyond. The 1,000-foot long bridge span soars 200 feet over the American River and has four lanes for traffic. Bicyclists will have use of an on-street bike lane, as well as a separate trail that is also open to pedestrians.

Completing a project of this magnitude from planning to funding and

construction in just six years is a phenomenal accomplishment, said Folsom Mayor

Steve Miklos. Commuters owe a huge debt of gratitude to our Congressional

Representatives, the US Army Corps of Engineers and all the bridge partners who put this important project on a fast-track for completion,

Former Congressman John Doolittle deserves special recognition for his unrelenting efforts to secure federal support and funding for the bridge. We would not be opening Folsom Lake Crossing at this time without his leadership and the support of the late Congressman Robert Matsui and former Congressman Doug Ose.

The US Army Corps of Engineers is thrilled to be part of opening this vital traffic corridor for the Folsom, Placer and El Dorado communities, added Colonel Thomas Chapman, Sacramento District Commander, US Army Corps of Engineers. The speed of this project is truly an accomplishment and would not have been possible without the tremendous collaboration of our partners and Congressional delegation.

Opening day speakers include Congressional Representatives Dan Lungren, Doris Matsui and Tom McClintock; former Congressional Representatives John Doolittle and Doug Ose; Folsom Mayor Steve Miklos and Vice Mayor Jeff Starsky; Folsom Council Members Kerri Howell, Andy Morin and Ernie Sheldon; Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works) John Paul Woodley, Jr.; Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency Board Chair Susan Peters; California Department of Water Resources Director Lester Snow; and U.S. Bureau of Reclamation Mid-Pacific Region Director Don Glaser.

The Folsom High School Marching Band will perform the National Anthem after the Presentation of Colors by the Folsom Police and Fire Department Honor Guards. The two-hour festival on the bridge will feature music by the Dam Road Closed band, a new car display sponsored by the Folsom Auto Mall and a vintage car display by the Cappuccino Cruisers. Exhibitors include the Citys Public Works, Library, Parks &

Recreation and Utilities departments; American River Water Education Center; Folsom Historic Powerhouse; Folsom History Museum; Army Corps of Engineers and URS Corporation.

Folsom resident Scott Farquhar, the winner of the Name the Bridge Contest, will participate in the ribbon cutting ceremony, along with all opening day speakers and other dignitaries.

Parking will be available along both sides of the one-mile-long Folsom Lake Crossing Road off East Natoma Street. On-going shuttle service from the more distant parking areas to the bridge will be available, or residents may choose to walk along the

bike trail. The Folsom-Auburn Road entrance to the bridge will be closed and there will be no public parking in that area. Pedestrians and cyclists may enter the bike trail at that location following the 11:30 a.m. ribbon cutting ceremony.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the bridge was held in February 2007, shortly after the Corps of Engineers awarded a construction contract to Kiewit Pacific of Concord, Ca. The total project cost is about $139 million, including pre-construction,

planning, engineering and real estate costs. The US Army Corps of Engineers paid approximately two-thirds of the cost. The City of Folsom's share was approximately $37 million, most of which was provided from Sacramento County transportation sales tax Measure A funds. The Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency and the state Department of Water Resources contributed about $10 million.

Mr. Ozo
Apr 10, 2009, 7:25 PM
Wait, they're gonna rip out the median with the tree's in Old Town Folsom? That's the coolest and most unique part about it. I think the slightly messed up road is cool and adds to the Old Town feel. Great, now it's gonna be like every new road with the stupid red bricks and yellow bumps.

wburg
Apr 10, 2009, 8:55 PM
The median is being removed in order to widen the sidewalks: this will let businesses extend out onto the sidewalk (including sidewalk restaurants) while still providing pedestrian and ADA access. The median isn't that historic compared to the rest of the street: it was added in the 1950s.

urban_encounter
Apr 11, 2009, 12:30 AM
Wouldn't Folsom/El Dorado, Roseville/Rocklin fall under the Suburban Sacramento thread?????

What's next Wilton/Galt, Elk Grove/Sloughhouse??

Maybe it is time to merge California into one forum again.

tone1657
Apr 11, 2009, 3:38 AM
Ok, I can see my suburban backyard office from my "other office" No need to fear.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss174/tone1657/aaaOfficeApr09004.jpg

econgrad
Apr 12, 2009, 2:18 AM
Wouldn't Folsom/El Dorado, Roseville/Rocklin fall under the Suburban Sacramento thread?????

What's next Wilton/Galt, Elk Grove/Sloughhouse??

Maybe it is time to merge California into one forum again.

I didn't want to get involved with all the whining about what should be here and what not and whats urban and not and Sac VS whatever. So I will only say this once, and you guys can complain all you want (over an internet forum mind you): Roseville and Folsom are two distinct cities currently developing into their own with plans of creating vibrant downtowns and expansions, as well as (gasp!) urban renewal projects. Contrary to many opinions on this thread, there is a significant difference in the two areas. The forum is also called "The Sacramento Area" not "downtown Sacramento and everywhere else sucks forum". Rancho Cordova is also going to have many changes in the coming years. You can call these suburbs and be as snobby as you want, it is your right to do so. It is also my right to add to this forum with good information, and just saying that midtown and downtown Sac (midtown is just another suburb anyway) are the only valid areas and everywhere else is just an unimportant suburb is ludicrous. Sacramento is and will form into a Los Angeles like area, with different cities close to each other. They should be categorized and easy to find for information. If you don't like these areas, don't click on the threads. No one is forcing you too.

wburg
Apr 12, 2009, 4:03 PM
Yeah, I'll probably post various historic preservation items about those communities here too, rather than in the Sacramento preservation thread. I'm eager to see what Roseville does with its historic areas, not to mention Folsom.

Mr. Ozo
Apr 12, 2009, 8:22 PM
I see tons of potential in both downtown Folsom and Roseville, as opposed to Elk Grove's pathetic Old town. With more housing going in, you could actually have some real density.

I can't believe the light rail in Folsom stops running at 7, how am I supposed spend any time there. It seems like it would be in the cities' best interest to have it run until midnight.

econgrad
May 1, 2009, 6:41 AM
Folsom Dam improvement project contract awarded
Staff report
Philip Wood/The Telegraph
A $62 million contract for Folsom Dam's flood control improvement project has been awarded to a Sacramento-based contractor.

Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today announced that the Bureau of Reclamation has awarded a $62,587,197 contract for the second phase of the Joint Federal Project at Folsom Dam and Reservoir.

The award, which is the second in a series of construction contracts for a new auxiliary spillway at Folsom, went to Martin Brothers Construction of Sacramento.

The auxiliary spillway, or Joint Federal Project, is a cooperative operation involving the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Central Valley Flood Protection Board and the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency.

The improvements are meant to help prevent "overtopping" of the dams and dikes during an "extreme storm event," according to a press release.

The project will not be funded with the $260 million slated for California from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

The project consists of a water-side approach channel, a control structure with six submerged gates, a concrete-lined spillway chute about 3,000-feet long, and a basin to help slow down the water that is released from the dam before it hits the American River.

A previous award for phase-two construction work had been made in September 2008 but a protest against the award was upheld by the Small Business Administration, and that contract was rescinded, according to the press release.

The contract with Martin Brothers Construction includes additional spillway excavation, construction of a "stilling" basin coffer dam, relocation of a 42-inch water supply pipeline and ancillary access roads.

Work will begin in spring of this year and will be completed in fall 2010, according to the press release.

Phase-three construction by the Corps will follow shortly and the project is expected to be completed by 2015.

In addition to the Joint Federal Project, Reclamation will complete additional dam safety work on Dikes 4 and 6 and the Mormon Island Auxiliary Dam. Additional information on the project is available at http://www.usbr.gov/mp/jfp/index.html.

econgrad
May 1, 2009, 6:41 AM
Sutter Street to get jolt
New Electric and Power Lighting Co. building to offer retail, restaurant space
By Brad Smith, Telegraph Correspondent
Don Chaddock/The Telegraph
Dean Williams, left, and Jacinto Flores, with Core Framing of Folsom, work to “shear” the walls of the new Folsom Electric and Power Lighting Co. Building on Sutter Street.

Doug Scalzi, president of SAC Commercial Properties, smiles as he watches workers moving about his latest project, the Folsom Electric and Power Lighting Co. Building. Located at the corner of Sutter and Scott streets, Folsom Electric towers over the old town district.

“This,” he said, pointing at the building, “is going to be something special.”

Folsom Electric has been a passion of Scalzi’s for some time.

“I’ve always wanted to have something like this for Folsom: A place that offers a lot to the community, something that also fits perfectly into my hometown’s ambiance,” he said.

Scalzi envisioned the Folsom Electric and Power Lighting Co. as a place with an upscale restaurant, plenty of parking space and “lots of room for other retail businesses and offices.”

He said that the building consists of four levels, with more than 55,000 square feet of space.

“The basement level and part of the ground floor will be public parking spaces,” he explained.

Also on the first floor is Folsom Electric’s anchor business, the Sutter Street Steakhouse.

“I tell you, the quality of food coming out of the steakhouse will be outstanding,” Scalzi said.

Beside the steakhouse, he said there will be spaces for some “high-end retail shops.”

The next two floors have been set aside for retail and office space, the top floor sporting spacious lofts and skylights.

Scalzi’s very proud of the building’s exterior design.

“Yes, we used the original Folsom Powerhouse and late 19th century architecture as sources of inspiration. I wanted the building to compliment the others built up and down Sutter (Street),” he said.

Scalzi reported that most of the primary exterior work will be completed by September this year. “Sutter Street Steakhouse will open Nov. 1,” he added.

Which is fitting, since ground was broken on the project in November two years ago.

Teresa Yost, owner of As Time Goes By on Sutter Street, said she hadn’t known much about the Folsom Electric building.

“In the beginning, I didn’t know what to think,” she said.

When she learned of the steakhouse, the public parking and other potential businesses that would be going inside, she was optimistic.

“It’s going to be a good thing for Sutter Street,” she said. “I think that having something like Folsom Electric will be a big draw for all of us. People will come to see the new building and – and if they’re newcomers to Sutter Street – they’ll want to explore, check things out. It’ll be an economic boost for us.”

Brenda McGourty, who manages the Hacienda Del Rio, feels that the new building “will be a big draw” as well.

“It’ll be nice to have (it) here with the other businesses. The Folsom Electric will be something new and different,” she said, “and that in itself will draw folks to Sutter Street.”

As with Yost, she wishes the venture the best of luck.

He said public response to Folsom Electric has been positive.

“People are excited about new businesses coming to Folsom. A new business means more jobs and more money boosting the local economy,” Scalzi said.

He indicated some of the men working on his building.

“Look, if it wasn’t for this project, those contractors might not be working now. As it is, they’re working and their families and others are benefiting from it. That, I think, is a good thing,” he said.

Ghost of Econgrad
Oct 23, 2009, 9:51 PM
Friday, October 23, 2009
Performing arts center puts Folsom center stage
Close to hiring theater director
Sacramento Business Journal - by Kelly Johnson Staff writer
Media

One year away from opening, a $50 million visual and performing arts center in Folsom is buoying the construction industry now while also promising to boost the city’s economy and prestige in the future.

Folsom Lake College has reached the halfway point in constructing its 78,000-square-foot visual and performing arts center, with completion set for late fall 2010.

The high-profile project is pumping some much-needed dollars into the construction industry, with about $25 million paid out to contractors so far. All but four of the subcontractors are local. It’s big financially and a portfolio builder for firms such as LPAS, a Sacramento architectural firm that has never designed a performance venue of this size, or one that had to meet the needs of a school and the public.

“It opens doors for us,” said Ken Bauer, LPAS’ project manager for the college’s performing arts center.

kjohnson@bizjournals.com | 916-558-7860

Ghost of Econgrad
Feb 5, 2010, 3:13 AM
Trails get tender loving care from some friends
Group works to provide a bicycle friendly community
By Laura Newell, Telegraph Staff Writer
Philip Wood / The Telegraph
Cyclists enjoy an afternoon bike ride before the rains fall on the Humbug Creek Trail that goes through Lexington Hills. The Humbug Creek trail is the Friends of Folsom Parkways first trail that went into Folsom.

Friends of Folsom Parkways is an organization that does what its name implies — works to keep the historic city’s parkways user friendly.

The nonprofit organization was founded in the late 1980s and works to raise awareness about Folsom’s parkways and enjoy the scenery while doing it.

“I travel quite a bit around the country and I have yet to see a city that has as marvelous trail system as we do here in Folsom — it is an absolute jewel,” said Jim Kirstein, 68, Friends of Folsom Parkways president.

Currently there are 30 miles of bike and walking trails throughout Folsom, and a lot more miles to go to reach the group’s overall goal.

“Our vision is to promote the usage, preservation and development of parkways within the city of Folsom,” Kirstein said.

Founding member Dick Merz, 79, explained that the group first began without trails in mind, only to preserve Folsom’s historic land.

While new development was occurring in Folsom in the late 1980s, Merz became the first president of the organization to bring up the concern of land preservation to the city council.

“We wanted to tell them our concern that nothing was being done to preserve the land. … I organized a group to stand on the side of a few specific new projects, and we won,” Merz said.

Merz said after their victory, members began discussing how nice it would be to have a few walking trails within the city to enjoy the scenery.

Between 1988 and 1991, the group worked to improve the land and save Folsom’s trees during the city’s rapid development.

“There were once many rows of trees, oak trees in particular, but when the development went in they would take every tree out,” Merz said. “Through our efforts the city adopted a tree ordinance … so we were able to save a lot of trees in Folsom.”

Next, Merz said, the organization focused on trails.

The group’s first trail to go into Folsom was the “Humbug Creek Trail” where the Lexington Hills Development was planned. Merz said that the organization did not want to stop the development, but wanted to include a trail into the required plans. The trail starts at the corner of Blue Ravine and Oak Avenue Parkway, follows Humbug Creek east and ends near Oak Chan Elementary School.

“Well, we got the trail and that got the ball rolling,” said Merz.

And the ball kept rolling for the Friends of the Folsom Parkways.

Soon after, developer Bill Parks came to the organization with trail questions for a new development he was planning called The Parkway Area.

“He was very interested in that area. They had done a lot of research on that land and found that it was one of the richest dredging areas in Folsom,” Merz said. “So we asked that they preserve the area and put in a trail through their property. And, thanks to Bill, they went along with almost everything that we asked from them.”

The Parkway Area trail became the first significant trail on the organization’s map.

With the successes, the city has gotten more on board with their efforts. The city has even hired a trail manager to write grants to build and preserve trails.

“Now that the trails are established, we are active in providing both programs and maintenance in the trail system,” Kirstein said.

To learn more about the Friends of Folsom Parkways, or join the nonprofit group, send questions or donations to Friends of Folsom Parkways, P.O. Box 1501, Folsom, CA 95763-1501.

“We are not just saving the community, we are enhancing the community,” Kirstein said.

Ghost of Econgrad
Aug 14, 2010, 2:37 AM
KTXL
Folsom Land Debate

Rick Boone

FOX40 News

August 2, 2010

FOLSOM

If we build more stores they will come, that's the hope from the City of Folsom.

City council wants to annex thirty five hundred acres of privately owned Sacramento County land and turn it into shopping plaza's and housing.

Some current Folsom businesses want city council to fix the area's that are hurting first before taking on any new ideas. Still that's not stopping Folsom from moving forward with its plan. The focused area is more than five square miles, south of highway fifty bordered by Prairie City Road. Right now its in Sacramento county, but the thought is, if this land is within city limits, new businesses will invest, knowing they have city support.

Assistant City Manager Evert Palmer said the development project will have a collection of malls, schools, and housing. He says the goal is to get more people to the area, and that the overflow will help existing businesses that are hurting.

But for some this plan is not coming soon enough as they might have to close up shop before construction begins.

Folsom neighbors can give there opinion at a second meeting Wednesday, August 4th at city hall.

Copyright © 2010, KTXL-TV

econgrad2.0
Jun 15, 2011, 8:56 AM
Folsom council approves annexation south of Highway 50

lkalb@sacbee.com

Published Wednesday, Jun. 15, 2011

After more than a decade of planning, the city of Folsom pushed forward on its bid Tuesday night to annex 3,500 acres south of Folsom, voting unanimously to send the expansion plan to the local body empowered to make a final decision.

The issue brought protests from a handful of residents during the hearing but enthusiastic and lengthy support from members of the development community, the Folsom Chamber of Commerce, and auto dealers, among others.

"This is a really high-quality plan," said Mike McKeever, chief executive of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments.

He lauded the housing mix and the transit planning that would provide paths for walking, bicycle trails, open space and parks. "All of that is a home run as far as we are concerned," McKeever said.

The council vote sends the annexation plan to the Sacramento Local Agency Formation Commission, perhaps later this year, for a final decision.

The city has worked on the plan for at least the past 10 years. There are seven landowners in the proposed annexation area. But only three own the largest share of property: AKT Development and Carpenter Ranch Partnership own about 41 percent and 30 percent, respectively. Easton Development owns 18 percent.

The plan calls for high-density housing – 41 percent of the 10,210 planned units – clustered around high-speed transit corridors.

REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/15/3701464/folsom-council-approves-annexation.html

:tup:

Majin
Jun 17, 2011, 5:32 PM
No Thanks.

econgrad2.0
Jun 17, 2011, 6:43 PM
No Thanks.

The plan calls for high-density housing – 41 percent of the 10,210 planned units.

:haha: Can't impress you with that?

rampant_jwalker
Jun 22, 2011, 10:54 PM
The plan calls for high-density housing – 41 percent of the 10,210 planned units.

:haha: Can't impress you with that?

Wow, thousands more car-dependent, architecturally monotonous households on the urban fringe. How exciting :slob:

KevinFromTexas
Jun 23, 2011, 6:05 AM
Deleted the off topic trollish posts. By the way, make sure that if you're posting articles to adhere to the forum rules or your post will be deleted. Make sure you include a link to the article as well as the other guidelines. The list of rules can be found above the message field at the bottom of every thread on the forum.

econgrad2.0
Jun 23, 2011, 6:10 AM
LOL! Thats fine, I can win a debate with half my brain tied behind my back.
MAIN QUESTION:

IF Folsom is so bad, then why do more affluent people, who have more choices to live CHOOSE Folsom over Sacramento?

(That question relates to the Folsom Thread)

FOLSOM: Population 80,000
Avg Income: $87,000

Downtown Sacramento + Midtown = Population of maybe 30,000
Avg Income: $49,000 (very difficult to find, so I calculated as much data as I could and rounded way up).

Explain this?