PDA

View Full Version : Decision 2010: Calgary Municipal Election

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

LFRENCH
Apr 30, 2010, 8:58 PM
Haha. I like @ 1:54 the one girl has an iphone in between her tits. They probably have no idea who Joe Connelly is. JOE FOR MAYOR!

I was linking the previous video which has now linked up with the third video. If you go back to the second video you see some even worse footage. :rolleyes: on a side note, that old guy needs to lay down the bottle of rye before he talks.

MalcolmTucker
Apr 30, 2010, 9:05 PM
Well, I feel we should actually talk about the election at some point: Anybody else think Hehr is going to run. If he does, he has my vote.

I am going to say it: McIver won't be that bad of a mayor (gasp!). Not saying he will be good, and he won't be as good as Bronconnier, but I think he will really push the SELRT, and he seems to be on board with things like TOD and the like. Much, much, much better than Connelly. What a sad city when I have to actually say that McIver won't be bad, but right now, there is nobody else.
Both Hehr and Nenshi will hopefully be scared off by Stewart. McIver is definitely the best of the right, considering Jon Lord's tirade about parking prices and doom and gloom at the parking authority.

Ramsayfarian
Apr 30, 2010, 9:14 PM
Frink was just taking out his frustrations on me, I'm sure he was going crazy after the whole A/V cable discussion in the construction thread!

His response was pretty funny though, twitter is full of garbage information for the most part. I follow it for those nuggets of gold that you can get in all the crap. :D

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's corn, not gold.

Bigtime
Apr 30, 2010, 9:14 PM
Stewart still hasn't made it official right?

^^^ Well I like corn, mighty tasty!

Wooster
Apr 30, 2010, 9:17 PM
Both Hehr and Nenshi will hopefully be scared off by Stewart. McIver is definitely the best of the right, considering Jon Lord's tirade about parking prices and doom and gloom at the parking authority.

I'm guessing Nenshi will take a run at Ward 4 or 5.

frinkprof
Apr 30, 2010, 9:24 PM
Nevermind.

fusili
Apr 30, 2010, 9:28 PM
I'm guessing Nenshi will take a run at Ward 4 or 5.

I think so too. Nenshi makes the most sense for Ward 5. And someone, please someone, run against Chabot. That guy is a tool. He is absolutely terrible at representing his constituents.

frinkprof
Apr 30, 2010, 9:54 PM
Nevermind.

Wooster
May 1, 2010, 3:53 AM
Gain-Carlo Carra's full website is now up:

http://www.carra4ward9.ca

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 1:51 AM
I pretty much did a spit take, when I read that McIvor supports spending money on Chinatown's centenary bash.

"Aldermen will have more questions about a pricey bash for Chinatown’s centenary when it comes to a city committee next week.

A report outlining the city’s $500,000 contribution to the “grand celebration” set to come before the city’s community and protective services committee calls for the city to shell out $180,000 for a Youth Community Forum Series, $75,000 for a documentary on Chinatown’s history and $75,000 for social inclusion projects.

Ald. Ric McIver, who supported the city’s contribution but asked for a detailed accounting of where the money was going, said he has concerns about some of the projects and will be asking administration about them when the committee meets on Wednesday.

“There are some questions here to be answered yet,” he said, specifically singling out the community engagement projects and the documentary.

“Most of the other things seem fair but there are some pieces that are a concern to me.”

According to the report, the local Chinese community has raised more than $1.2 million for Chinatown’s 100th birthday and any of the city’s contributions will come from existing budgets and not require a tax hike.

The city will also pursue a grant from Alberta Film for the documentary, which is currently being solely funded from municipal coffers.

Most of the community-generated cash will go to the planned street festival and fireworks scheduled for Aug. 14 as well as plans to beautify Chinatown and restore the Daqing Plaza “gateway” while incorporating a time capsule.

The city will also pick up the tab for new street planters while contributing to a makeover to Sien Lok Park and providing $30,000 worth of in-kind services for the summer bash.

Ald. Diane Colley-Urquhart was the only alderman who voted against the $500,000 contribution and said the plan should not have been hatched at the last minute.

“Something that’s so significant as this should never be left for politicians to decide upon,” she said.

“What we’re doing is too little, too late and unfortunately the Chinese community is getting dragged into the city’s incompetence.” "

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/04/30/13788566.html

mersar
May 2, 2010, 7:09 AM
Joe Connelly posted an interesting piece (http://joeformayor.ca/2010/05/01/the-road-to-perdition/) of his opposition to the Bow River Flow festival, which is scheduled to close Memorial Drive again this year on August 22, most of his argument is based on the traffic congestion.

Quite hiliarously, and to the point, Naheed Nenshi replied on twitter to him "I await your post on why we should cancel the Stampede parade, which causes massive congestion! On a weekday!".

jeffwhit
May 2, 2010, 8:19 AM
This election might actually get me using the Twitter, like some of you guys.

Anyone here behind fake Rick McIver?

http://twitter.com/fakeRicMcIver

The very first post is priceless.

Also noticed that Gian-Carlo Carra had lunch with my landlord, who is the owner/developer of the Atlantic Ave Arts Block.

Wooster
May 2, 2010, 4:20 PM
Joe Connelly posted an interesting piece (http://joeformayor.ca/2010/05/01/the-road-to-perdition/) of his opposition to the Bow River Flow festival, which is scheduled to close Memorial Drive again this year on August 22, most of his argument is based on the traffic congestion.

Quite hiliarously, and to the point, Naheed Nenshi replied on twitter to him "I await your post on why we should cancel the Stampede parade, which causes massive congestion! On a weekday!".

Joe's got "cowboy ethics". down with the latte-sippers. yeeehaw!!

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 6:09 PM

I thought Naheed would be above a strawman argument. Not that I'm a fan of Connelly, but equating the Flow Festival to the Stampede parade is a bit of a stretch.

Why can't the Flow be held on Riverfront Avenue or in the newly revamped East Village.

frinkprof
May 2, 2010, 6:23 PM
Nevermind.

Wooster
May 2, 2010, 6:24 PM
I thought Naheed would be above a strawman argument. Not that I'm a fan of Connelly, but equating the Flow Festival to the Stampede parade is a bit of a stretch.

Why can't the Flow be held on Riverfront Avenue or in the newly revamped East Village.

Why? both are festivals. One reduces 2 lanes on a sunday, the other closes all of downtown on a weekday. Why doesn't Connelly pick on Lilac Fest or one of the many other events that close roads in the city. It seems apparent to me that people like Connelly don't like the Bow River Flow because of the people who organized it, attend it, and what it's meant to stand for. Nenshi was pointing out this hypocracy choosing which festivals are worthy of road closures and which ones aren't.

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 6:45 PM
Why? both are festivals. One reduces 2 lanes on a sunday, the other closes all of downtown on a weekday. Why doesn't Connelly pick on Lilac Fest or one of the many other events that close roads in the city. It seems apparent to me that people like Connelly don't like the Bow River Flow because of the people who organized it, attend it, and what it's meant to stand for.

The Stampede parade has been going on for close to a hundred years now and is world famous and is attended by tens of thousands. Not to mention it gets us a half day off. The Lilac has grown organically and isn't held on a major thoroughfare.

Personally, other than thinking it would be better suited on the other side of the river, I don't give a rat's ass one way or another when it comes to the Flow or Connelly for that matter.

frinkprof
May 2, 2010, 7:02 PM
Nevermind.

Wooster
May 2, 2010, 8:28 PM
The Stampede parade has been going on for close to a hundred years now and is world famous and is attended by tens of thousands. Not to mention it gets us a half day off. The Lilac has grown organically and isn't held on a major thoroughfare.

Personally, other than thinking it would be better suited on the other side of the river, I don't give a rat's ass one way or another when it comes to the Flow or Connelly for that matter.

Have you seen traffic surrounding the Lilac fest? Cars trying to cross 4th street at 17th ave? It's a nightmare. Besides, the transportation department determined there was more than enough capacity on Memorial drive on sundays for a lane reduction to cause minimal disruption. There's simply no argument based on traffic disruption with regard to the Bow River Flow that holds water. Most other festivals, even if they are on less major roadways are total closures and cause more traffic disruption than this one. Nor do I believe that the age of the festival matter either. The lilac fest, Sun and Salsa Fest, Marda Gras all had to start somewhere as well. The opposition is trying to capitalize on this sort of anti-urban, anti-elitist populist sentiment that the likes of Rick Bell spew and some Calgarians subscribe to. Just look at the rhetoric that often associates some of the opposition - calling Druh Farrell "flaky" or the residents of hillhurst-sunnyside "hippies", "treehuggers" or "latte-sippers". I acknowledge that the other side can be just as bad sometimes, but I dislike that just as much.

jeffwhit
May 2, 2010, 8:36 PM
Why even bother arguing against Joe-for-Mayor's point about traffic? The guy clearly has never seen a map of Calgary:

http://joeformayor.ca/2010/05/01/the-road-to-perdition/

Having a tourism background, I readily admit that festivals like this add to community vitality, however, I also recognize the importance of this major east-west connector. (This year it is especially critical as many Calgarians use it to avoid the LRT construction on Bow Trail and 17 avenue).

I think I might have also solved this problem by figuring out an alternate route for August 22nd (AKA Armageddon, latte-sipping style.) this took a lot of research, but I think I worked out a solution for motorists, see my google map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=51.05224,-114.075251&spn=0.011546,0.042272&t=h&z=15&msid=110837339149097797616.000485a244fe02dacd14a

Of course, the flaw is you have to compete with all that Sunday afternoon downtown traffic.

Wooster
May 2, 2010, 9:27 PM
Why even bother arguing against Joe-for-Mayor's point about traffic? The guy clearly has never seen a map of Calgary:

http://joeformayor.ca/2010/05/01/the-road-to-perdition/

I think I might have also solved this problem by figuring out an alternate route for August 22nd (AKA Armageddon, latte-sipping style.) this took a lot of research, but I think I worked out a solution for motorists, see my google map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=51.05224,-114.075251&spn=0.011546,0.042272&t=h&z=15&msid=110837339149097797616.000485a244fe02dacd14a

Of course, the flaw is you have to compete with all that Sunday afternoon downtown traffic.

Nice.

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 9:38 PM
Have you seen traffic surrounding the Lilac fest? Cars trying to cross 4th street at 17th ave? It's a nightmare. Besides, the transportation department determined there was more than enough capacity on Memorial drive on sundays for a lane reduction to cause minimal disruption. There's simply no argument based on traffic disruption with regard to the Bow River Flow that holds water. Most other festivals, even if they are on less major roadways are total closures and cause more traffic disruption than this one. Nor do I believe that the age of the festival matter either. The lilac fest, Sun and Salsa Fest, Marda Gras all had to start somewhere as well. The opposition is trying to capitalize on this sort of anti-urban, anti-elitist populist sentiment that the likes of Rick Bell spew and some Calgarians subscribe to. Just look at the rhetoric that often associates some of the opposition - calling Druh Farrell "flaky" or the residents of hillhurst-sunnyside "hippies", "treehuggers" or "latte-sippers". I acknowledge that the other side can be just as bad sometimes, but I dislike that just as much.

I don't care if this event happens or not, nor do I care about the traffic disruptions as I'm smart enough to avoid that area. My original comment was that's it's a bit of stretch to imply that Connelly must be against the parade because he's against the Flow, nor am I supporting Connelly.

jeffwhit
May 2, 2010, 10:00 PM
^^And I think the other point in that it's a stretch for Conelly to use traffic as a bogeyman for the Bow River Flow. I'd like to hear a real argument not this omg traffic! BS

jeffwhit
May 2, 2010, 10:12 PM
According to some twitter noise Alnoor Kassam just announced his mayoral run at Osteria...

Double fail?

frinkprof
May 2, 2010, 10:38 PM
Nevermind.

Ramsayfarian
May 2, 2010, 11:07 PM
^^And I think the other point in that it's a stretch for Conelly to use traffic as a bogeyman for the Bow River Flow. I'd like to hear a real argument not this omg traffic! BS

My guess would be that he's against it because it's an easy way to get his name in the paper.

jeffwhit
May 2, 2010, 11:09 PM
Made some updates to your map Jeff:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=110142583739961116478.000485a399fae62de0c05&ll=51.054452,-114.069157&spn=0.028271,0.077162&z=14

Druh-gons!

And yes, getting in the newspaper is of course the motivation.

Wooster
May 3, 2010, 2:30 AM
Made some updates to your map Jeff:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=110142583739961116478.000485a399fae62de0c05&ll=51.054452,-114.069157&spn=0.028271,0.077162&z=14

LOL. the legend is awesome.

frinkprof
May 4, 2010, 9:04 PM
Nevermind.

frinkprof
May 5, 2010, 12:43 PM
Nevermind.

Bigtime
May 5, 2010, 1:15 PM
Interesting, on a somewhat related note didn't council vote down the motion to upgrade the council chambers to make it more accessible for those with disabilities?

Bigtime
May 5, 2010, 2:00 PM
Breaking Twitter Tweets!

I'm throwing my hat in the ring today and running for mayor of Calgary!

This has been breaking Twitter Tweets.

http://www.mybillq.com/blog/images/themoreyouknow.jpg (http://www.mybillq.com/blog/images/themoreyouknow.jpg)

charper
May 5, 2010, 2:27 PM
Interesting, on a somewhat related note didn't council vote down the motion to upgrade the council chambers to make it more accessible for those with disabilities?

From what I remember they voted in favour of that motion.

frinkprof
May 5, 2010, 2:38 PM
Nevermind.

Bigtime
May 5, 2010, 4:24 PM
Kent's presser is going on right now at the Hyatt.

fusili
May 5, 2010, 4:49 PM
Kent Hehr is apparently in the running for Mayor.

Link (http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/rick_bell/2010/05/05/13828676.html)

Great to hear. Now at least there is a candidate I can vote for. Hehr, from what I know of him, is a very pragmatic person. And I really agree with him when he says "Calgarians have to understand that cities cannot be built on the cheap." Too often I find people in this city, and our politicians, talk a lot about fiscal responsibility, but really what they are talking about is inexpensive. Someone has to explain to them that inexpensive does not mean cost effective. IKEA is a great analogy- it costs much less up front, but in the long run, it doesn't last and costs more. So many decisions in Calgary are made like this. Decisions need to be made based on cost-effectiveness, rather than absolute cost.

fusili
May 5, 2010, 5:27 PM

Link (http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/rick_bell/2010/05/05/13828676.html)

If you guys have a spare minute, read the comments for the article above. And I thought that the Herald was bad.

Silly Hall! Liberal Rats! Tax and Spend! Environmentalist Dreamers!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Wooster
May 5, 2010, 5:28 PM
I wonder how/if this will affect Naheed Nenshi's decision. He previously said he'd likely run for mayor if he didn't think there were any better candidates. I wonder if Kent fits the bill for him. I think Nenshi might best have a chance at Alderman, and then position himself as the next logical choice for mayor.

fusili
May 5, 2010, 5:34 PM
I wonder how/if this will affect Naheed Nenshi's decision. He previously said he'd likely run for mayor if he didn't think there were any better candidates. I wonder if Kent fits the bill for him. I think Nenshi might best have a chance at Alderman, and then position himself as the next logical choice for mayor.

That is exactly what I think Nenshi should do. Ward 5 suits him well, or maybe even Ward 4. I doubt Hehr will win, but with Connelly and McIver splitting the right vote, we may see a surprise. As well, he is a council outsider. I think more than anything that is a plus for him, as I think Calgarians are fed up with council in general.

Being a liberal MLA, not so much of a plus.

Wooster
May 5, 2010, 5:46 PM
^ Probably better than being a Tory MLA at this point...

DizzyEdge
May 5, 2010, 5:58 PM

I see that guy everywhere, including a bunch of the PIP courses I've taken, and this is the first time I've clued into who he is :blush:

mooky
May 5, 2010, 6:31 PM
If you guys have a spare minute, read the comments for the article above. And I thought that the Herald was bad.

Silly Hall! Liberal Rats! Tax and Spend! Environmentalist Dreamers!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

The extra-stupid of the comments on that page today make my brain hurt. Seriously. Do conservatives think this city can just hit the pause button on infrastructure spending and everything will be A-OK? I wasn't a huge Bronco fan, but I do see that he was put in a tough position having to make up for many years of neglect, and now a few fiscal conservative hacks think harking back to the days of Al Du"nothing" is a good thing?

MalcolmTucker
May 5, 2010, 7:17 PM

Hehr's campaign manager for MLA is Chair of the Better Calgary Campaign so I would imagine Hehr running would weigh heavily on Nenshi (from a purely practical point of view)

O-tacular
May 5, 2010, 7:22 PM
KENT HEHR? ...:haha:

Am I the only one who thinks he must have been teased alot in highschool?

fusili
May 5, 2010, 7:26 PM
The extra-stupid of the comments on that page today make my brain hurt. Seriously. Do conservatives think this city can just hit the pause button on infrastructure spending and everything will be A-OK? I wasn't a huge Bronco fan, but I do see that he was put in a tough position having to make up for many years of neglect, and now a few fiscal conservative hacks think harking back to the days of Al Du"nothing" is a good thing?

I wouldn't necessarily call these people conservatives as much as I would call them idiots. Conservatives can have well articulated and thought out arguments for their positions, and those people don't waste their time writing into the Sun online comment section. These people are probably just losers who sit at home and write comments into the Sun and talk to themselves all day. Honestly, online comment sections represent a very, very small and extremist minority, either right or left- most people are actually quite moderate. Comment sections are such a waste of time.

gantenbein
May 5, 2010, 7:36 PM
KENT HEHR? ...

Am I the only one who thinks he must have been teased alot in highschool?

His father's name is Dick...I kid you not.

I still think he'd make a great mayor.

O-tacular
May 5, 2010, 9:43 PM
:previous: ROFL!!!! Wow. That almost tops Mike Hunt for worst name of all time. Although there was a computer science T.A. named Harry Wang when I was at U of C.

frinkprof
May 5, 2010, 9:49 PM
Nevermind.

LFRENCH
May 5, 2010, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call these people conservatives as much as I would call them idiots. Conservatives can have well articulated and thought out arguments for their positions, and those people don't waste their time writing into the Sun online comment section. These people are probably just losers who sit at home and write comments into the Sun and talk to themselves all day. Honestly, online comment sections represent a very, very small and extremist minority, either right or left- most people are actually quite moderate. Comment sections are such a waste of time.

I totally agree there Fusili, What these moron's don't realize is by labelling someone a liberal doesn't make them a liberal.

Besides real conservatives don't talk with ALL CAPITAL LETTERS and a FEW well PLACED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is strictly the sign of a moron :yes:

gantenbein
May 5, 2010, 11:08 PM
I totally agree there Fusili, What these moron's don't realize is by labelling someone a liberal doesn't make them a liberal.

And what if they are liberals, anyway? Since when did it become the consensus in this city/country that being a liberal or a socialist (since they don't seem to even know the difference on most comment boards) is inherently a bad thing?

DizzyEdge
May 5, 2010, 11:47 PM
And what if they are liberals, anyway? Since when did it become the consensus in this city/country that being a liberal or a socialist (since they don't seem to even know the difference on most comment boards) is inherently a bad thing?

Why do you hate freedom?

Radley77
May 5, 2010, 11:47 PM
Joe Connelly promo ad:

Has anyone here tried posting on his blog, I tried but it hasn't passed the moderator yet...

LFRENCH
May 6, 2010, 1:01 AM

Nothing at all,I will even say that I'm a liberal

gantenbein
May 6, 2010, 1:04 AM
Why do you hate freedom?
:uhh:
I guess you're right -- I've never looked at it that way. Well that's decided -- my 'X' is going next to MacIver's name.

Wooster
May 6, 2010, 1:13 AM
^Knowing DizzyEdge, I'm quite sure he was being totally sarcastic. You'll find that this is, in fact, a very progressive board overall.

gantenbein
May 6, 2010, 1:23 AM
^Knowing DizzyEdge, I'm quite sure he was being totally sarcastic. You'll find that this is, in fact, a very progressive board overall.

Don't worry, that's exactly how I understood it. My brain's just too slow to come up with anything wittier right now.

Wooster
May 6, 2010, 2:59 AM
Twitter noise that Bob Hawksworth will declare yay or nay for a Mayoral run by the end of the month. I must say though that in many different circles, Kent Hehr's candidacy seems to have people abuzz. Progressive support has quickly formed behind him. Again, I wonder whether that will dissuade the likes of Nenshi, Hawksworth and Stewart. The best chance to not have Ric McIver elected, for those that aren't a fan, is to have all moderate, progressive support behind one strong candidate.

fusili
May 6, 2010, 3:59 AM
Ok, it is somewhat election related, so I am going to post it here to (also posted in the construction thread):

Hey everyone, just letting you know that Beltline Planning Group is hosting an open house this Saturday from 12:00 to 6:00 at First Baptist Church (13th Avenue and 4th Street SW, just to the South of Sheldon Chumir). Presentation is at 2:00.

Come and see Beltline's ideas for a better urban community, including improved streetscapes, parks, transit, laneways and methods of funding community improvement.

Everyone is invited, and there will be snacks.

Facebook Event Link (http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=112242912148370&ref=mf)

Mersar and Bigtime, and all other Beltline residents- I better see you there, or I will be disappointed in you ;)

mersar
May 6, 2010, 5:13 AM
Yep, I will be there. Looking forward to it.

Bassic Lab
May 6, 2010, 7:52 AM
That is exactly what I think Nenshi should do. Ward 5 suits him well, or maybe even Ward 4. I doubt Hehr will win, but with Connelly and McIver splitting the right vote, we may see a surprise. As well, he is a council outsider. I think more than anything that is a plus for him, as I think Calgarians are fed up with council in general.

Being a liberal MLA, not so much of a plus.

Being identified as a Liberal is not much of a negative for Calgary mayors. It isn't like it was a secret that Bronconnier and Duer, or even Klein during his municipal days, were Liberals. When was the last time this city elected a mayor who wasn't seen to be not only a liberal but a Liberal?

jeffwhit
May 6, 2010, 8:38 AM
enjoy this while it lasts. It's better than Brian Burke's twitter

http://twitter.com/Alnoor_Kassam/

frinkprof
May 6, 2010, 10:44 AM
Nevermind.

frinkprof
May 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
Nevermind.

Bigtime
May 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
Mersar and Bigtime, and all other Beltline residents- I better see you there, or I will be disappointed in you ;)

Sorry but I'm out of town this weekend!

gantenbein
May 6, 2010, 2:28 PM
Being identified as a Liberal is not much of a negative for Calgary mayors. It isn't like it was a secret that Bronconnier and Duer, or even Klein during his municipal days, were Liberals. When was the last time this city elected a mayor who wasn't seen to be not only a liberal but a Liberal?

Didn't Bronconnier run federally against Rob Anders in Calgary West? Doesn't get much more big-L Liberal than that.

I don't recall Duerr being regarded as a liberal. It was hard for me to discern any political ideology behind his leadership.

Now that I've had some coffee, I realise I completely misunderstood your post, Bassic Lab. Ignore!

gantenbein
May 6, 2010, 2:31 PM
post deleted -- brain's not working yet this morning

MalcolmTucker
May 6, 2010, 2:40 PM
I remember him (Duerr) wearing Stockwell Day gear back at the leadership convention when he was elected leader of the federal party, but then again so were his kids and they are both big L liberals these days. So ambiguously over the map (much like Klein)

The top 2 finishers in the 2001 civic election ran federally for the Liberals in '97 so I can't see it as a detriment. As people say, there is not a conservative or liberal way to pave roads.

fusili
May 6, 2010, 4:06 PM
^That's pretty funny. I like the tweet of Paul Simon lyrics.

The reason why I am listening to Paul Simon right now. Those tweets are pretty hilarious.

freeweed
May 6, 2010, 4:17 PM
As people say, there is not a conservative or liberal way to pave roads.

Actually, there is - the conservative way is to hire private contractors to do the work, through a bidding process where they have to compete against each other.

The liberal way is to have a huge "roads" department, all unionized, that take 3x as long to pave the same amount of road - and also cost 3x as much because for every worker you have a foreman to stand around watching. Oh, and they can only work from 9am to 5pm, guaranteeing the most disruption to traffic.

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but I've witnessed it in practice.

fusili
May 6, 2010, 4:32 PM
Actually, there is - the conservative way is to hire private contractors to do the work, through a bidding process where they have to compete against each other.

The liberal way is to have a huge "roads" department, all unionized, that take 3x as long to pave the same amount of road - and also cost 3x as much because for every worker you have a foreman to stand around watching. Oh, and they can only work from 9am to 5pm, guaranteeing the most disruption to traffic.

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but I've witnessed it in practice.

I totally agree with the bidding process. Roads maintenance, construction etc etc, should all be put out to bid. The city should stick to planning and regulation, and leave construction and maintenance to the private sector.

outoftheice
May 6, 2010, 11:39 PM
A guest column in today's Sun by Ric McIver. After reading it I have to say... I still don't understand where this guy is coming from. It's like underneath he has some very 'liberal' and 'progressive' views on how to keep building the City but whenever he thinks people are paying attention he makes sure to play the cost cutting conservative. One of these personalities are the real McIver but I don't know which one and I'd be afraid to find out after an election. Personally, my favourite quote from the article is this:

I believe we need a mayor who sees leadership as a team effort to be shared with all members of the community

McIver was probably the most partisan person in the current city council. He'd make huge stands on rather inconsequential issues just to be seen as fighting for taxpayers interests... You don't earn the name Dr. No for nothing. That being said, I'm glad to see that Rick Bell seems to be calling McIver on this issue in various columns.

The entire column can be read here: http://www.calgarysun.com/comment/columnists/2010/05/06/13841206.html

Wooster
May 6, 2010, 11:43 PM
I read this article as well. I agree with your assessment of McIver. He's a tricky one to read on issues. On some things he's bang on, is extremely cordial and supports innovative progressive ideas, in other circumstances he acts like a grandstanding douchebag.

Ramsayfarian
May 7, 2010, 12:12 AM
I read this article as well. I agree with your assessment of McIver. He's a tricky one to read on issues. On some things he's bang on, is extremely cordial and supports innovative progressive ideas, in other circumstances he acts like a grandstanding douchebag.

It's almost like McIver has dual personalities. According to the comments, McIver is a liberal.

jeffwhit
May 7, 2010, 1:13 AM
^^The Chinatown centennial party seems to be a hot-button issue with the dumb-as-bricks Rick Bell crowd. What are the details on this evil little celebration, because from what I've garnered from reading newspaper comments is that they will be closing all the downtown streets during morning and afternoon rush hour, then shelling motorists with mortars from McHugh Bluff for a whole week.

How that's an appropriate way to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Chinatown, I'll never no, but Ric McIver's a tax-and-spend liberal kitten rapist for voting for it.

fusili
May 7, 2010, 4:20 AM
McIver:

In the short term, we will review downtown parking policies that make for the most expensive and least convenient parking situation of almost any city in Canada.

In the longer term, we will work toward spreading out jobs so they are not just concentrated in three areas of the city.

We will strive for a core transit strategy that will create a zone in the centre of Calgary where people will have a real choice about whether to leave their cars at home.

In other words, it took less than two sentences to contradict himself.

Someone has to explain to people like McIver that spreading out employment is horrendous for traffic and even worse for transit and having a "core transit strategy" also means having a core employment strategy. I take back saying that McIver isn't so bad - this guy has absolutely no concept of urban geography and urban economics.

frinkprof
May 7, 2010, 4:25 AM
Nevermind.

fusili
May 7, 2010, 4:33 AM
^To be fair, with the "spreading out" bit, I thought he might be talking about TOD nodes. Although, like the rest of the article it is pretty vague, so who knows?

Even spreading out to TOD nodes is not as good a strategy as concentrating office jobs in the core. Locating jobs to Brentwood might be good for those living in the NW, but for anyone else, it will be less of an incentive to take transit. Uni-centric cities are actually a really good thing when it comes to transit, poly-centric cities, not so much.

freeweed
May 7, 2010, 5:05 AM
Even spreading out to TOD nodes is not as good a strategy as concentrating office jobs in the core. Locating jobs to Brentwood might be good for those living in the NW, but for anyone else, it will be less of an incentive to take transit. Uni-centric cities are actually a really good thing when it comes to transit, poly-centric cities, not so much.

Couldn't agree more.

Also consider what drives Calgary's transit system. It isn't our sheer size, we're only a million people. It isn't our density, we're fairly spread out. It's the expensive parking downtown.

Put employment nodes all over the place and people will just drive there, free parking and all. Unless we try to raise parking rates in the suburbs.. yeah, that'll go over well.

jeffwhit
May 7, 2010, 1:30 PM
^^ I think spreading out employment centres a little wouldn't have a major impact on transit ridership, but the fact is we need some LRT lines that support it first like a couple crosstown routes that bypass city centre.

mersar
May 7, 2010, 4:34 PM
Looks like the dinosaur is running again... from FFWD:

Despite 27 years on council and almost being blown to smithereens, Hodges isn’t quite ready to call it a day. “In spite of all the rumours, I’m running,” he says.
Source (http://www.ffwdweekly.com/article/news-views/news/city-hall-politics-5608/)

frinkprof
May 7, 2010, 4:39 PM
Nevermind.

Wooster
May 7, 2010, 4:46 PM
^ Great article. Sue Higgins sounds like one bad-ass bitch.

Bigtime
May 7, 2010, 5:01 PM
Haha! You could tell Higgins was ready to get some venting out there, I loved it!

Wooster
May 7, 2010, 5:23 PM
Notice to all candidates: Don't tell me 'what', tell me 'how'

http://djkelly.ca/2010/05/notice-to-all-candidates-dont-tell-me-what-tell-me-how/

Excellent blog post on the election by DJKelly:

I could not agree more with him.

fusili
May 7, 2010, 5:48 PM
[B]

Excellent blog post on the election by DJKelly:

I could not agree more with him.

Ditto.

freeweed
May 7, 2010, 6:12 PM
^^ I think spreading out employment centres a little wouldn't have a major impact on transit ridership, but the fact is we need some LRT lines that support it first like a couple crosstown routes that bypass city centre.

A little, sure. But I guarantee you that if we moved 25% of the jobs out of the core and into suburban areas, the LRT would see close to a 25% ridership drop.

Hell, I could see myself just driving to Brentwood if I worked there, and I've been an avid transit rider all my life.

Wooster
May 7, 2010, 6:56 PM
Big issue for the election: Secondary Suites

Very good Guest Column on Calgary's failure on the issue.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Suite+nothing+came+city+program/2992440/story.html

jeffwhit
May 7, 2010, 7:22 PM
Doesn't everyone remember that Dale Hodges doesn't have an internets machine? This came up sometime in the last 2 years. Dale Hodges Twitter account would like this:

http://www.pcbyfast.com/contact/images/_44163188_pigeon_getty203_250.jpg

freeweed
May 7, 2010, 8:08 PM
Doesn't everyone remember that Dale Hodges doesn't have an internets machine? This came up sometime in the last 2 years. Dale Hodges Twitter account would like this:

http://www.pcbyfast.com/contact/images/_44163188_pigeon_getty203_250.jpg

To be implemented thusly. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers)

OK, I'll stop geeking out now.

Riise
May 7, 2010, 11:17 PM
Uni-centric cities are actually a really good thing when it comes to transit, poly-centric cities, not so much.

It does depend on a few things like: density and orbital transit service. For instance, London has the density but its lack of orbital transit service makes it difficult at times. In Calgary's case, we simply aren't ready to convert to a poly-centric city.

frinkprof
May 8, 2010, 1:45 AM
Nevermind.

TETT2
May 8, 2010, 7:19 PM
Big issue for the election: Secondary Suites

Very good Guest Column on Calgary's failure on the issue.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Suite+nothing+came+city+program/2992440/story.html

Everytime I think hear about Secondary Suites, I think Joe Connelly at BSD! lol What a tool.

Wooster
May 11, 2010, 2:07 AM
Markusoff's Hall Monitor Blog (good coverage of stuff going on in the election and other urban topics):

Premature campaign site again? Burrows for mayor?

http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/hallmonitor/archive/2010/05/10/craig-burrows-for-mayor-not-quot-tomorrow-quot-but-soon.aspx

fusili
May 11, 2010, 5:20 AM
Markusoff's Hall Monitor Blog (good coverage of stuff going on in the election and other urban topics):

Premature campaign site again? Burrows for mayor?

http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/hallmonitor/archive/2010/05/10/craig-burrows-for-mayor-not-quot-tomorrow-quot-but-soon.aspx

Noticed the Hall monitor mentioned the Beltline's proposal for the Beltline. At least it is getting media attention.

frinkprof
May 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Blogger draws city ire for 'Ward 15' page, ordered to shut it down
By Jason Markusoff , Calgary Herald May 12, 2010

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/3018869.bin?size=620x400

Calgary’s self-declared alderman for “Ward 15” is getting his tenure cut short by the city’s legal department.

Jeremy Zhao, a university student, blogger and one-time mayoral candidate was served Tuesday with a terse letter from a city lawyer.

It demands he shut down the website he created last year that mimics Calgary’s actual council website and inserts a distorted picture of himself as alderman for the fictional Ward 15.

The city has only 14 civic wards.

[...]Link (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Blogger+draws+city+Ward+page+ordered+shut+down/3018920/story.html)

fusili
May 13, 2010, 3:27 PM
:previous: I gotta say that is pretty funny. The guy at least has a sense of humour.

Wooster
May 13, 2010, 3:36 PM
:previous: I gotta say that is pretty funny. The guy at least has a sense of humour.

Yeah. LOL. Unfortunately the City doesn't and their lawyers don't seem to have anything better to do than harrass a student blogger.

Wooster
May 13, 2010, 4:11 PM
A lot of US cities have sales taxes and have recently voted for small increases of these sales taxes (Denver is a prime example) to pay for billions of dollars in infrastructure - particularly transit.

What would you think of the idea of a 2% "regional sales tax" for the Calgary region to finance the development of LRT and Regional Commuter Rail Infrastructure?

This would only bring residents' sales tax burden back up to the level (7%) they were paying only a couple years ago before the Harper government cut the rate.

Based on by own rough estimate (Saskatchewan brings in about $1.1 billion in revenue a year from a population only a shade over 1 million with a 5% PST) a 2% sales tax on the 'Calgary Region' - population ~1.2 million would bring in about $500 million a year - escalating as population grows.

Compounded at a 1.5% growth rate, this would mean about $12.4 billion over 20 years.

For $12.4 Billion Calgary could build SELRT, NCLRT under Centre Street, 8th Ave Subway, an inner ring LRT line, Commuter Rail to Airdrie and Cochrane, Centre-City Streetcars, 17th Ave SE Streetcar and probably more.

This could all happen without a single penny of provincial or federal grants - which could be directed toward other priorities.

MalcolmTucker
May 13, 2010, 4:44 PM
A regional sales tax would cause a hollowing out for many things, it would have to be delicately applied.

Wooster
May 13, 2010, 4:49 PM
what do you mean by hollowing out?