PDA

View Full Version : Decision 2010: Calgary Municipal Election

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

fusili
Oct 4, 2010, 11:51 PM
I am not arguing for there to be either no subsidy, or back to the way it was before - but the current fiscal framework already cut the unfunded infrastructure subsidy by three-quarters if my memory serves me. You can likely cut it by half again by upping density targets in new communities once more and making it much easier to infill.

Good thoughts. This is of course really complicated. The bolded part above I agree with most.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 5, 2010, 12:04 AM
^ At least he isn't talking about the gold under city hall anymore (I think, I didn't watch the full video)

Calgary_Guy
Oct 5, 2010, 6:23 PM
^ At least he isn't talking about the gold under city hall anymore (I think, I didn't watch the full video)

Perhaps the gold is under city hall, in that empty underground C Train tunnel so many of us forgot about. I refer to it as Bronconnier station :koko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7YBZvhVwgk

freeweed
Oct 5, 2010, 6:29 PM
Can we just get this damn thing over with? I'm really getting sick of robo-calls and sign litter everywhere. I cannot believe these things are legal. :hell:

suburb
Oct 5, 2010, 7:21 PM
Can we just get this damn thing over with? I'm really getting sick of robo-calls and sign litter everywhere. I cannot believe these things are legal. :hell:

The sign litter is really quite unbelievable. Several of the candidates (and one is the biggest offender but I won't name) create these islands of signs. Like 10 signs in a row within a length of 30-50 feet. What are they thinking? A reasonable number is alright, but making those clusters is sure a waste.

Rusty van Reddick
Oct 5, 2010, 7:25 PM
The sign litter is really quite unbelievable. Several of the candidates (and one is the biggest offender but I won't name) create these islands of signs. Like 10 signs in a row within a length of 30-50 feet. What are they thinking? A reasonable number is alright, but making those clusters is sure a waste.

Why would not name the offender?

The biggest offender I've seen is Burrows. Not surprising.

Wooster
Oct 5, 2010, 7:50 PM
Tweet from Gord Gillies from Global:

Happy Tuesday! New poll numbers coming on the Mayor's race. We hear the top 3 are the same.. but it's tighter. details ahead! #yycvote #yyc

Apparently from Cameron research.

Should be interesting.

Ramsayfarian
Oct 5, 2010, 8:02 PM
Why would not name the offender?

The biggest offender I've seen is Burrows. Not surprising.

I've seen more Higgins signs on public property than anyone else.

fusili
Oct 5, 2010, 8:20 PM
From Gord Gillies Twitter:

Cameron Mayor poll: McIver 31%. Higgins 28% Nenshi 16% everyone else 3% or less. 17% 'undecided'. Better breakdown tonite

Nenshi just doubled. Still a long way to go, but this is encouraging.

Wooster
Oct 5, 2010, 8:24 PM
Very encouraging that McIver has fallen a lot and that Nenshi has risen a lot. Most surprising is Higgins maintaining exactly the same support.

The results of the previous poll were:

McIver 43%

Higgins 28%

Nenshi 8%

fusili
Oct 5, 2010, 8:34 PM
Very encouraging that McIver has fallen a lot and that Nenshi has risen a lot. Most surprising is Higgins maintaining exactly the same support.

McIver 43%

Higgins 28%

Nenshi 8%

Based on those numbers, it looks like Nenshi took up almost all the undecideds.

Wooster
Oct 5, 2010, 8:46 PM
Never truer words spoken:

jeremybarretto: "If your support peaks on day one, people know your name. If you support increases from day one, people like your ideas." #yycvote

freeweed
Oct 5, 2010, 8:52 PM
Wow, that's quite a dramatic change. This has gone from "meh, McIver's got it in the bag" to a bit of a horse race. The next week promises to be very interesting indeed.

Ramsayfarian
Oct 5, 2010, 9:00 PM
Based on those numbers, it looks like Nenshi took up almost all the undecideds.

Looks like Nenshi is picking up McIver supporters.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 5, 2010, 9:02 PM
Looks like Nenshi is picking up McIver supporters.

Wait and see till the full numbers come out - if undecideds are moving, Higgins staying firm is a big move as well. Shall be interesting to see if there is any jump for the also rans outside of the margin of error.

bigcanuck
Oct 5, 2010, 10:15 PM
http://docs.google.com/a/return-on-insight.ca/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=cmV0dXJuLW9uLWluc2lnaHQuY2F8cHVibGljfGd4OjMzNGZkMDgzNTQxOTI3YmY

A recent poll of Calgarians conducted by Return On Insight indicates that Ric McIver holds a slim 3 percentage point lead over Barb Higgins (31% to 28%), with Naheed Nenshi running third (16%). All other candidates are polling at 3% or less, including Hawkesworth (3%), Burrows (2%), Stewart (2%), Connelly (1%) and Lord (1%). Less than one fifth of the electorate (16%) are undecided with under 2 weeks to go before Election Day.

Among decided voters, the head to head battle between McIver and Higgins is apparent. McIver has the support of 37% of decided voters compared to 33% for Higgins. Naheed Nenshi has pulled away from the crowded pack of other contenders into a solid third place position with 19% of the decided vote. All other candidates combined have the support of the remaining 11% of the electorate.

Source: http://www.return-on-insight.ca/home

suburb
Oct 5, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think the deal maker or breaker will be what proportion of the decided or leaning voters will actually come out and vote. Nenshi has many hyper engaged folks on his side, but they are also young. McIver has many old guard. Higgins has many celebrity fans. Hmmm.

fusili
Oct 5, 2010, 10:45 PM
I think the deal maker or breaker will be what proportion of the decided or leaning voters will actually come out and vote. Nenshi has many hyper engaged folks on his side, but they are also young. McIver has many old guard. Higgins has many celebrity fans. Hmmm.

Nenshi also has huge support amongst young people, and many (notice the purposely vague quantity) of them don't have land lines. These polls are conducted of people with land lines, so take everything with a grain of salt. That being said, a 100% positive change for Nenshi, a approximately 30% drop for McIver and a wash for Higgins, if continued, would but Nenshi in first at election time. Don't forget the Thanksgiving bump. I have a feeling that many more people will be talking about Nenshi at the dinner table than McIver (people who decided long ago) or Higgins (what is there to say).

I know I am an optimist, but when my parents told me that when they went out for dinner with their friends and found out all of them were voting for Nenshi, I was really surprised. My parents were converted by me, but their friends are very conservative (one's a firefighter), and knowing that they are voting for Nenshi really has given me more hope.

Nenshi all the way baby!

fusili
Oct 5, 2010, 10:52 PM

This is such a funny statement (and no offense, I have heard this from many media commentators and political scientists). Nenshi's support amongst young people is amongst hyper engaged young people. And these people vote. And they tell their friends to vote. And their parents, and write about it on their blogs, and post videos and links on their Facebook profiles. These people are committed. Nenshi is polling well amongst young people, because he has almost monopolized the young engaged voters.

So when a young person says they are going to vote Nenshi, they are going to vote Nenshi. A less engaged middle-aged McIver supporter might just sit at home on election night, because, while they like Ric, they might not feel it necessary to vote. Having 50% support amongst hyper engaged voters is like having 100% support amongst people who are more or less ambivalent.

DizzyEdge
Oct 5, 2010, 11:02 PM

McIver 43%

Higgins 28%

Nenshi 8%

I think those were the numbers of decided voters, since the 44% undecided couldn't fit with those numbers.

So the numbers to compare are the new decided voter numbers mentioned a few postings down:

"Among decided voters, the head to head battle between McIver and Higgins is apparent. McIver has the support of 37% of decided voters compared to 33% for Higgins. Naheed Nenshi has pulled away from the crowded pack of other contenders into a solid third place position with 19% of the decided vote. All other candidates combined have the support of the remaining 11% of the electorate."

Wooster
Oct 5, 2010, 11:05 PM
Indeed, amongst decided -

This is much more comparable number to the last poll.

McIver 37%
Higgins 33%
Nenshi 19%

Nenshi + 11 points in 2 weeks is very strong momentum. But highlights that Higgins seems to be holding her support for now.

Wooster
Oct 5, 2010, 11:07 PM
So according to the Calgary Sun they invited the top 3 for a debate, Higgins and McIver declined. pretty weak.

Wooster
Oct 5, 2010, 11:36 PM
From the mayoral poll:

The ROI poll also gauged the level of momentum in the mayor's race.

Nenshi led that category with the most number of respondents saying their opinion of him had improved, followed by McIver and Higgins.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101005/CGY_election_poll_101005/20101005?hub=CalgaryHome

suburb
Oct 5, 2010, 11:44 PM
Nenshi's support amongst young people is amongst hyper engaged young people. And these people vote. And they tell their friends to vote. And their parents, and write about it on their blogs, and post videos and links on their Facebook profiles. These people are committed. Nenshi is polling well amongst young people, because he has almost monopolized the young engaged voters.

So when a young person says they are going to vote Nenshi, they are going to vote Nenshi. A less engaged middle-aged McIver supporter might just sit at home on election night, because, while they like Ric, they might not feel it necessary to vote. Having 50% support amongst hyper engaged voters is like having 100% support amongst people who are more or less ambivalent.

That's quite fair. I think he still has a solid chance, particularly given McIver and Higgens are splitting most of the rest.

I think Wayne and Hehr need to formally throw their support behind Nenshi too.

srperrycgy
Oct 5, 2010, 11:45 PM
I've been wearing a Nenshi button for a few weeks now and it generates questions from folks. Nothing negative....yet. ;)

Wooster
Oct 5, 2010, 11:52 PM
This is such a funny statement (and no offense, I have heard this from many media commentators and political scientists). Nenshi's support amongst young people is amongst hyper engaged young people. And these people vote. And they tell their friends to vote. And their parents, and write about it on their blogs, and post videos and links on their Facebook profiles. These people are committed. Nenshi is polling well amongst young people, because he has almost monopolized the young engaged voters.

You also have to consider that many of Nenshi's young engaged supporters can't be reached by these polls because they don't have land lines. If you recall about 3 weeks ago, The leger telephone-based poll had him at 8% while a week or so earlier Zinc Research conducted an online-based poll and had him at 12%. I would suspect that telephone-based polls undercount his support by at least a few points.

Radley77
Oct 5, 2010, 11:57 PM
I was suprised how much the undecideds has dropped from the last poll. I think it went from 44% undecided, to 16% undecided. All three of the frontrunners have had positive campaign momentum.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 5, 2010, 11:58 PM
http://docs.google.com/a/return-on-insight.ca/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=cmV0dXJuLW9uLWluc2lnaHQuY2F8cHVibGljfGd4OjMzNGZkMDgzNTQxOTI3YmY

Source: http://www.return-on-insight.ca/home
Page four numbers on opinion of candidate tell the true story here, +14 on the positives vs negatives for Nenshi. -2 for Hawkesworth (that negative campaigning, oh, can't help!).

Can't fight the big mo - I'd bet that by the end of the week the top 3 are shamed into a debate. I wouldn't be surprised if radio ads are already in the pipe for that expressed purpose.

Radley77
Oct 6, 2010, 12:06 AM
Barb Higgins on East Village Redevelopment at the 2010 Mayoralty Forum - Seniors Issues
D-O2cyHTnUk

suburb
Oct 6, 2010, 12:41 AM
I was suprised how much the undecideds has dropped from the last poll. I think it went from 44% undecided, to 16% undecided. All three of the frontrunners have had positive campaign momentum.

I believe that is because they counted all the ones that are not decided but leaning. Barb led the pack with the highest number of those polled who now have a worse opinion of her relative to the last poll. Wow!!! Barb's number one!

DizzyEdge
Oct 6, 2010, 12:46 AM
So according to the Calgary Sun they invited the top 3 for a debate, Higgins and McIver declined. pretty weak.

Hey do you have a link? I couldn't find a mention of it.

Radley77
Oct 6, 2010, 12:56 AM
I made this Google Docs spreadsheet of a Kepner-Tregoe Decision Analysis for the Calgary mayoral forum.

I thought it might help with deciding what is a priority for them this election, as well as which candidate is a leader in each category...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aipm2JeRPPoJdG50MU1zakV1amVoOHd2U3lmTTU4OEE&hl=en&authkey=CNrBhMsE

Lots more could be included, and left the spreadsheet open to editing, or downloading as an excel file and building upon...

Wooster
Oct 6, 2010, 2:02 AM
Hey do you have a link? I couldn't find a mention of it.

@Tisin Calgary Sun had planned a debate with t/ top 3 in a 2-hour livestream for next week. Only @Nenshi accepted #yycvote #top3candebate

http://twitter.com/calgarysun

bob1954
Oct 6, 2010, 2:38 AM
Nenshi's gonna win.... unless he does something or says something rediculous! And he doesn't seem to be the kind of person that's unprepared.

Ferreth
Oct 6, 2010, 2:50 AM
Nenshi's gonna win.... unless he does something or says something rediculous! And he doesn't seem to be the kind of person that's unprepared.

I think it's going to be really close, something like:

Nenshi 35%
McIver 34%
Higgins 28%

and it could flip-flop between McIver and Nenshi. All I know is I'm getting a friend that is moving to Okotoks to vote for Nenshi (since they are too busy getting ready to move to worry about researching candidates). So my little "bloc vote" will help just a little bit!

fusili
Oct 6, 2010, 5:04 AM
Barb Higgins on East Village Redevelopment at the 2010 Mayoralty Forum - Seniors Issues

Ugh. This is why I won't vote for Barb. She seems like she cares about the issue, but has so little understanding of the process.

Aegis
Oct 6, 2010, 6:13 PM
You also have to consider that many of Nenshi's young engaged supporters can't be reached by these polls because they don't have land lines. If you recall about 3 weeks ago, The leger telephone-based poll had him at 8% while a week or so earlier Zinc Research conducted an online-based poll and had him at 12%. I would suspect that telephone-based polls undercount his support by at least a few points.

I don't think this is accurate. Modern telephone polls include people with cell phones.. it's not based purely on who still uses a copper land-line. Online polls aren't scientific because you can't control the sample.

The biggest factor will be the engagement of voters. If a candidate can successfully mobilize their supporters to vote, they have a far better chance. This effect can't be overstated when we're only getting 40-50% voter participation at the most.

On another topic.. why is Barry Erskine running again? The only press I've seen was the fact that he "showed up in the nomination line"..

Stewart and Hehr need to formally endorse Nenshi. Why are they holding back??

Aegis
Oct 6, 2010, 6:17 PM
I'm really not impressed with how Higgin's campaign has torn a page from the Sarah Palin campaign manual.

It's obvious that her handlers are not confirming her appearance at forums in which she might be asked difficult and potentially embarassing questions on topics she knows nothing about (the economy).

It appears her most important strategy is to say as little as possible.

Wooster
Oct 6, 2010, 7:26 PM
I don't think this is accurate. Modern telephone polls include people with cell phones.. it's not based purely on who still uses a copper land-line. Online polls aren't scientific because you can't control the sample.

It was reported that the Leger poll was a land-line poll.

If you read the methodology, the Zinc poll was clearly scientific - sample was controlled based on census demographics.

http://zincresearch.com/modules/news/newsitem.php?ItemId=28

MalcolmTucker
Oct 6, 2010, 7:31 PM
The latest poll was not weighted however. Which is great :)

Radley77
Oct 6, 2010, 8:11 PM
I'm really not impressed with how Higgin's campaign has torn a page from the Sarah Palin campaign manual.

It's obvious that her handlers are not confirming her appearance at forums in which she might be asked difficult and potentially embarassing questions on topics she knows nothing about (the economy).

It appears her most important strategy is to say as little as possible.

Barb has a pretty full event schedule and is participating in a forum tonight:

October 6, 2010 - FORUM CBC
5:00pm CBC Forum Southcentre Mall

October 7, 2010 - Children's Cottage Radiothon
11:30 am Children's Cottage Radiothon

October 8, 2010 - OPEN HOUSE - McKenzie Towne Community Hall
5:00pm @ McKenzie Towne Community Hall

October 9, 2010 - OPEN HOUSE - Inglewood Community Hall
9:30am @ Inglewood Community Hall

October 10, 2010 - FORUM - Calgary Public Library
Noon - 3:00pm @ John Dutton Theatre, Central Library, 616 Macleod Trail, SE

October 15, 2010 - OPEN HOUSE - North Glenmore Park Community Hall
OPEN HOUSE 5:00pm @ North Glenmore Park Community Hall

October 16, 2010 - Calgary French & International School
OPEN HOUSE: Saturday, October 16 @ 1:00-3:00pm

October 17, 2010 - Triwood Community Centre Open House
OPEN HOUSE: Sunday, October 17 @ 2:30-4:00pm

http://barbhiggins.ca/events.html

I think one of the things is that I learned by doing the Kepner-Tregoe analysis, is that even some of the candidates who I don't officially support can have some of the better ideas on a subject.

Even though some of these candidates have been virtually written off by voters, I still think they add value to the overall discussion. An inclusionary debate would allow even those that are unlikely winners to participate their ideas and concerns in a democratic process. Some of their attacks are even more effective considering it is not from a leading contenders.

Barb Higgins has also released her policy book recently:
http://barbhiggins.ca/assets/files/Barb-Higgins-Policy-Book.pdf

I don't agree with her on every issue, but the things I think are most important I agree with her the most.

Of specific note, she has pointed out in her policy book an alternative to the airport tunnel. It includes future North LRT later down the road, future people mover connection, and several roads to improve access.

Bigtime
Oct 6, 2010, 8:15 PM
Wow, just got back from Winnipeg and very happy to see the momentum continuning to grow for Nenshi!

fusili
Oct 6, 2010, 8:27 PM
Wow, just got back from Winnipeg and very happy to see the momentum continuning to grow for Nenshi!

It's a tidal wave baby. Grab a board and ride it!

Bigtime
Oct 6, 2010, 8:52 PM
I did get some puzzled looks from my "Nenshi for Mayor" pin on my jacket in the Peg.

nick.flood
Oct 6, 2010, 9:11 PM
calgarysun.com (http://www.calgarysun.com) has a poll up

The latest poll shows Ric McIver and Barb Higgins at a virtual tie. Who would you vote for?
- McIver
- Higgins
- Neither

I'll be voting neither in this stupid poll.

suburb
Oct 6, 2010, 9:17 PM
calgarysun.com (http://www.calgarysun.com) has a poll up

The latest poll shows Ric McIver and Barb Higgins at a virtual tie. Who would you vote for?
- McIver
- Higgins
- Neither

I'll be voting neither in this stupid poll.

Looks like the 'Neithers' are way ahead with McIver and Higgins tied at a mere 28%. Something over 1,600 respondents at this point.

freeweed
Oct 6, 2010, 9:27 PM
Whatever happened to the supposed dirt on McIver that was going to come out?

MalcolmTucker
Oct 6, 2010, 9:30 PM
To my knowledge there is no dirt, beyond the tired PGIB stuff. Now if Burrows were at 30 % on the other hand...

fusili
Oct 6, 2010, 10:12 PM
Looks like the 'Neithers' are way ahead with McIver and Higgins tied at a mere 28%. Something over 1,600 respondents at this point.

Looks like the Nenshi online army is keeping the Neither category at a solid 44%. If the Sun publishes this poll, it will look a lot like people are very undecided.

Aegis
Oct 6, 2010, 10:52 PM
To my knowledge there is no dirt, beyond the tired PGIB stuff. Now if Burrows were at 30 % on the other hand...

Has Craig Chandler endorsed McIvor?

suburb
Oct 7, 2010, 2:21 AM
Barb has a pretty full event schedule and is participating in a forum tonight

That's a good idea Barb, but here is a better one:

Better Idea: Calgary will be a city where every neighbourhood is a safe neighbourhood (http://www.nenshi.ca/new/2010/422)

Naheed will be a mayor who ensures that the safety of Calgarians remains a top priority of City Council. Naheed will help the police continue to provide effective emergency services and will work with community partners to implement proactive measures to reduce crime. That’s how this Better Idea will lead to a Better Calgary.

The highlights of the plan are described below and a more detailed backgrounder document is also available in PDF format.

Highlights of Naheed’s Plan

1. Work with the leadership in the Police Department to increase community policing.
* Maintain the number of front-line police officers.
* Re-allocate resources where possible to focus on community policing.
* Focus on communities that are under-reporting crimes.
2. Expand community partnerships to address the root causes of crime.
3. Make crime prevention a priority for other city departments.
4. Develop effective provincial and federal partnerships.
* Build relationships with other levels of government.
* Work together on the causes of crime.
5. Build safer communities.
* Encourage mixed use developments.
* Invest in the urban fabric.
* Support effective design and placement of public spaces.

Read the full policy backgrounder

Download the full-text backgrounder of this Better Idea in PDF:

Better Idea #11 – Calgary will be a city where every neighbourhood is a safe neighbourhood (http://www.nenshi.ca/new/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Better_Idea-Calgary_will_be_a_city_where_every_neighbourhood_is_a_safe_neighbourhood1.pdf)

Bigtime
Oct 7, 2010, 2:30 AM
Just got a call on our landline from Ipsos Reid, survey about the election. They asked a couple of questions about my priorities for the city and then asked if I had to choose right now would I vote for McIver, Nenshi, or Higgins.

Guess who I picked? ;)

They also asked how certain my choice was (absolutely certain) and if I would be voting on the 18th (yes).

Aegis
Oct 7, 2010, 2:50 AM
Just got a call on our landline from Ipsos Reid, survey about the election. They asked a couple of questions about my priorities for the city and then asked if I had to choose right now would I vote for McIver, Nenshi, or Higgins.

Guess who I picked? ;)

They also asked how certain my choice was (absolutely certain) and if I would be voting on the 18th (yes).

Interesting.. they only gave you the top 3 candidates as choices?

srperrycgy
Oct 7, 2010, 2:57 AM
I went to the CBC forum at SouthCentre this evening. There weren't any knockouts by any means, but it was interesting. Definitely a McIver crowd, though us Nenshi folks were in good attendance. I was on the second level watching and could barely hear Hawkesworth and Lord speak. Oscar wasn't there, thank god. I think he might have been booed off the stage if he was there. ;) I overcame my political shyness and went over to Naheed to introduce myself after the forum was over.

So if Bigtime got a Ipsos call, there should be new poll results out by the end of the week. :D

MalcolmTucker
Oct 7, 2010, 3:14 AM

When all the rest are within the MoE of zero, you can reasonably assume that they aren't moving anywhere, why waste time naming all the candidates? Especially when undecideds have dropped so much in other's polls. Will produce a good headline when it is released that is for sure.

It is fun as a political person to watch from afar - I am really not sure what I would recommend doing with money in the bank and a close to 0% campaign. Current aldermen are going to garner less votes than Jeremy Zhao did last time around. Attack on front runners just knocks vote loose for the other front running candidates to pick up. Releasing policy won't get you coverage unless it is crazy or a very slow news day/your one hit of the campaign.

After thinking about it, if I was Stewart I would go with this message: McIver is going to win, send him a message to protect the 10 year plan to end homelessness by voting for me.
It might cause a bit of a bump in a poll, a toehold to build from, but it is too late. Might have worked if he started a month ago. For Hawkesworth he has already bombed the bridge between his previous narrative and his future one, so his existing strategy might be ok if he can get people to believe that it is a zero sum game and the runway tunnel will destroy all other chances for their favorite infrastructure.

So if Bigtime got a Ipsos call, there should be new poll results out by the end of the week. :D
Indeedy, depending if it is a commissioned poll for a paper/tv station or an Ipsos ad project. If the later, I would guess on Monday (who likes to work a PR machine on the weekend!), the former it might make it for Friday, but I wouldn't count on it.

Me&You
Oct 7, 2010, 3:15 AM

Guess who I picked? ;)

I got the same call last night... Strangely worded questions if you ask me.

srperrycgy
Oct 7, 2010, 3:17 AM
For Hawkesworth he has already bombed the bridge between his previous narrative and his future one, so his existing strategy might be ok if he can get people to believe that it is a zero sum game and the runway tunnel will destroy all other chances for their favorite infrastructure.

He used that narrative tonight.

Blader
Oct 7, 2010, 4:08 AM
I thought I was old, 64 years, but, I felt young. I held the door for 6 people on the way in. Most were in their mid 80's, hearing aids, canes, and very slow walkers. 2 out of 30 were younger than me. Perhaps it was it medical appointments that drew the elderly crowd to the advance poll? In my case, I will be leaving for Europe on Monday.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 7, 2010, 4:14 AM
^ If campaigns have any identified vote, and volunteers available getting voters out to advance polls, especially voters that need assistance helps take the load off on election day. Even better is the fact that once they vote, they can't change their mind!

Radley77
Oct 7, 2010, 4:41 AM
Am 'lovin' this clip of Mr. Fech tryin' to explain some Illuminati-like conspiracy belief here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7pnhW4-lR8#t=1m43s
WTF!

Bigtime
Oct 7, 2010, 1:05 PM

Yup just the three.

I got the same call last night... Strangely worded questions if you ask me.

Did they butcher Nenshi's name like the person on my call?

She couldn't pronounce it worth a damn, the first try was "Nah-HEED Nesh-Aye". Then when I answered with the correct pronunciation she still butchered it the second time around! :haha:

Me&You
Oct 7, 2010, 1:40 PM
Did they butcher Nenshi's name like the person on my call?

She couldn't pronounce it worth a damn, the first try was "Nah-HEED Nesh-Aye". Then when I answered with the correct pronunciation she still butchered it the second time around! :haha:

Yep... took a couple shots at it, but it never came out quite right :haha:

freeweed
Oct 7, 2010, 2:02 PM
It's disgusting that we even care about this, in this day and age. (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Nenshi+words+about+much+more+than+faith/3636673/story.html)

Just the other day a co-worker of mine declared that he could never vote for Nenshi, because another brown person once did something bad (something to do with Dosanj in BC a few years back).

I kid you not. This was from a highly educated, otherwise intelligent person to - who happens to be a member of an often persecuted minority as well. Caucasian, but a minority just the same.

I was almost physically ill hearing this.

Witty Nickname
Oct 7, 2010, 2:04 PM
Just got a call on our landline

What's that? ;)

Bigtime
Oct 7, 2010, 2:09 PM
What's that? ;)

Crazy huh? But for some reason cell coverage is real spotty in our condo, so we have stuck with the landline in the meantime.

O-tacular
Oct 7, 2010, 3:20 PM
X92.9 had Bob Hawksworth on the show this morning. Best question came from someone on facebook asking how many facebook friends he had. :haha:

Wooster
Oct 7, 2010, 3:23 PM
Have you guys voted in the advance voting happening now? Drag some family and friends along.

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/City+Clerks+Department/Election+and+Information+Services/2010+General+Election/Advance+Vote.htm

Bigtime
Oct 7, 2010, 3:28 PM
Have you guys voted in the advance voting happening now? Drag some family and friends along.

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/City+Clerks+Department/Election+and+Information+Services/2010+General+Election/Advance+Vote.htm

I'm spreading the word about the advance polls here at work, I think I'll be going down to city hall tomorrow to cast my vote.

Boris2k7
Oct 7, 2010, 3:44 PM
I've already sent my mail-in ballot. :cool:

freeweed
Oct 7, 2010, 4:06 PM
What's that? ;)

That thing you use to make sure your monitored alarm actually works, that thing you use when coverage is spotty and/or you're sick of dropped calls, that thing you use when you want to actually have a conversation with someone and you don't want to worry about "battery life" (as opposed to 10 second sound bites or txt msgs which is about all cellphones are good for).

Yes, I'm a luddite. :haha:

charper
Oct 7, 2010, 6:08 PM

Agreed. Voted yesterday and also sent an email to our Calgary staff getting them hooked up with info on where to vote and what to bring for advanced polls. So far the advanced polls look promising!

Wooster
Oct 7, 2010, 6:10 PM
Agreed. Voted yesterday and also sent an email to our Calgary staff getting them hooked up with info on where to vote and what to bring for advanced polls. So far the advanced polls look promising!

I just emailed my parents encouraging them to vote in the advance poll. They have your sign on their lawn - so good news for you. :)

Good luck. I think you have a great shot.

Aegis
Oct 7, 2010, 6:13 PM
When all the rest are within the MoE of zero, you can reasonably assume that they aren't moving anywhere, why waste time naming all the candidates? Especially when undecideds have dropped so much in other's polls. Will produce a good headline when it is released that is for sure.

Polling is actually a highly scientific process, when it's done right. Changing the question will alter the results. If you limit the choices to 3, you artificially increase the numbers and make the poll less useful.

Wooster
Oct 7, 2010, 6:15 PM
Big time or Me & You. Do you remember more precicely with the wording was for the question? just curious.

Aegis
Oct 7, 2010, 6:18 PM
Why the "F" do we allow mail-in ballots? They were the subject of manipulation during the Aftergood campaign, and I have no doubt they'll eventually be used for manipulation again. How can they be relied on, when one needs to show ID when voting at a polling station?

Bigtime
Oct 7, 2010, 6:19 PM
Big time or Me & You. Do you remember more precicely with the wording was for the question? just curious.

I can't unfortunately, my brain was a little frazzled from travelling back from Winnipeg in the morning (with Littletime) and then working the rest of the day.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 7, 2010, 6:27 PM
Polling is actually a highly scientific process, when it's done right. Changing the question will alter the results. If you limit the choices to 3, you artificially increase the numbers and make the poll less useful.

Not less useful in selling newspapers! A campaign wouldn't commission such a poll (except to save money in very specific circumstances).

nick.flood
Oct 7, 2010, 8:49 PM
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.calgarysun.com/comment/cartoons/2010/10/06/comment-cartoon.jpg&size=640x450&quality=90

http://www.calgarysun.com/comment/cartoons/2010/10/06/15609541.html?ref=nf

Ramsayfarian
Oct 7, 2010, 8:51 PM
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.calgarysun.com/comment/cartoons/2010/10/06/comment-cartoon.jpg&size=640x450&quality=90

http://www.calgarysun.com/comment/cartoons/2010/10/06/15609541.html?ref=nf

You beat me to it. I'm a bit shocked that this was in the Sun.

Bigtime
Oct 7, 2010, 8:55 PM
You said it Ramsay, I am really becoming afraid that they have been more on my wavelength these last few weeks.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 7, 2010, 9:03 PM
The Herald is very pro establishment, the sun has good journos and represents the people I find. During the last election was the same way, since news articles dominate over opinion for the period.

Ramsayfarian
Oct 7, 2010, 9:14 PM
You said it Ramsay, I am really becoming afraid that they have been more on my wavelength these last few weeks.

I know what you mean.

Speaking of the Sun, I was cutting through the Core today and that fat tub of lard greasy fucker Ezra Levant was holding a book signing. Correction, he was standing at a table full of his books wondering where everyone went. I wanted to yell out his name and then flip him the bird, but I decided with my luck, I would have run into a client.

Rusty van Reddick
Oct 7, 2010, 9:28 PM
I know what you mean.

Speaking of the Sun, I was cutting through the Core today and that fat tub of lard Ezra Levant was holding a book signing. Correction, he was standing at a table full of his books wondering where everyone went. I wanted to yell out his name and then flip him the bird, but I decided with my luck, I would have run into a client.

How dare you besmirch tubs of lard with this post.

Me&You
Oct 7, 2010, 9:39 PM

Sorry Wooster, but I don't clearly recall.

I just remember thinking that the way she phrased the "which one of the three candidates will you vote for" question was odd... as if it was slightly ambiguous. Sorry I can't be more help...

Boris2k7
Oct 7, 2010, 9:44 PM
Why the "F" do we allow mail-in ballots? They were the subject of manipulation during the Aftergood campaign, and I have no doubt they'll eventually be used for manipulation again. How can they be relied on, when one needs to show ID when voting at a polling station?

I had to include a photocopy of a valid Alberta ID with my ballot...

Ramsayfarian
Oct 7, 2010, 9:48 PM
How dare you besmirch tubs of lard with this post.

lol. How true. I was wavering between tub of lard and greasy fucker.

srperrycgy
Oct 7, 2010, 10:15 PM

It's getting a little weird. I might have to add The Stun back onto my favourites list. The Nenshi snail should have been purple. ;)

fusili
Oct 7, 2010, 11:04 PM

Poll comes out on Monday.

DizzyEdge
Oct 7, 2010, 11:13 PM
The Sun is kind of weird. For local news I think they're pretty good, but their editorials are... well you know what, I think what it might be is although they seem ridiculous, I think it's all in the name of selling papers. If they're having a coronary over the peace bridge one day, and then chatting up Nenshi the other, if you look at is as far as headlines people might want to read, even to then be mad, then those two somewhat fit.

Koolfire
Oct 8, 2010, 12:24 AM
It nice to finally see a poll for the wards. http://votecalgary.ca/_images/Aldermanic%20Poll%20Results%202010:10:07.pdf I can't believe how wide open Ward 4 is. If you live in that vote your vote is really going to matter. Get out there and vote.

Doing a bit of back of the envelope math. If the norm turn out of 10,000 to 15,000 votes for the ward means the leader has only 600-900 votes. Wow.

Ferreth
Oct 8, 2010, 1:54 AM
Well, now I am depressed. According to Calgary Democracy's web site for Ward 10 (http://calgarydemocracy.ca/levels/calgary/elections/2010/ballots/ward10), Andre Chabot really has no credible contenders. The best I can say is for Nargis Dossa who has a nice website, even if it looks like it's a rehashed business site. Ugh. Any one have any insight into the other candidates, Karl Schackwidt or Robert Kennish?

DizzyEdge
Oct 8, 2010, 2:22 AM
I'm checking out Ward 7, some quotes from Michael Krisko:

"I believe the money which was or should have been designated for snow removal, was witheld to pay for the Peace Bridge. The amounts are approx. the same 25 million. We have to stop the nonsense at City Hall."

"The Barlow Tunnel debate is not over. More and more people are asking about it. My thoughts on the variables surrounding this issue: it is an expensive project; it is very desirable and methinks necessary to lessen the flow of public traffic and congestion; "

"Methinks the voters are being led down the garden path with campaign glitter."

Methinks.

"Allow me to note one more though: the use of bikes in our city is growing. We need a policy that governs road bike paths and cars. I've put one together. If you are interested in any of the issues, new or existing, and want to contribute, call me at 403-366-4860."

I was hoping the bike/road plan would be on his website, but I guess you have to call him :/

DizzyEdge
Oct 8, 2010, 2:29 AM
Kevin Taylor seems a bit more reasonable, and Rusty mentioned that's he's a pretty great guy. He has a bunch of Hot Issues questions and answers, which are decent although:

"5. Q. How important is consumer choice as a factor with respect to where they want to live and the type of home they want to live in when City Council
makes decisions? (Scale 1-high to 5-low)

A. 1"

could have used a bit more meat in the answer!

DizzyEdge
Oct 8, 2010, 2:34 AM
Jim Pilling, VP of Triwood CA

"The push is on for urban planning and high density housing, and with that comes the need for roads, and with the communities involved - they're older communities and these issues need to be addressed properly. These roads won't handle traffic, they're at maximum capacity."

Then he talks about how Charleswood had about 10,000 more people back in 1983 than now..

sigh.

Elizabeth Ann Cook has no website, and seemingly no anything.

I looked her up on Facebook, but after listening to her interview on CJSW I determined she is not this Australian-born Elizabeth Ann Cook

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs228.ash2/49310_761521838_7373_n.jpg

Radley77
Oct 8, 2010, 2:50 AM
Campaign promotional clip for each of the three leading candidates

Naheed Nenshi
89bzyRXK9nQ

Ric McIver
sMHibtFNzrA

Barb Higgins
tkn4lKYSPfU

DizzyEdge
Oct 8, 2010, 4:17 AM
Actually I just realized the Q&A session featured on Kevin Taylor's website was done by the Calgary Homebuilders Assoc.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 8, 2010, 2:42 PM
ChandIerRadio Craig Chandler
I am endorsing @nenshi as Mayor of Calgary, thank god for Nenshi, I sold him a PGIB membership today #yycvote

A bit odd, but whatever. Municipal politics can make strange bedfellows.

Bigtime
Oct 8, 2010, 2:44 PM
That Chandler Twitter account appears to be fairly new, only has 3 tweets and only one follower.

I think someone is pranking.

fusili
Oct 8, 2010, 3:18 PM
That Chandler Twitter account appears to be fairly new, only has 3 tweets and only one follower.

I think someone is pranking.

And the twitter account is spelled ChandIer instead of Chandler.

Bigtime
Oct 8, 2010, 3:46 PM
And the twitter account is spelled ChandIer instead of Chandler.

Prankapple confirmed.