PDA

View Full Version : Decision 2010: Calgary Municipal Election

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

MichaelS
Aug 16, 2010, 2:32 PM
http://barbhiggins.ca/

I don't think this has been posted here yet.

mr.steevo
Aug 16, 2010, 3:42 PM
A one page web platform.

s.

freeweed
Aug 16, 2010, 3:48 PM
I think the 140 character nature of twitter means you're not even going to get a soundbyte. The very medium lends itself to being completely useless beyond "hey a 747 is landing at YYC!".

Other than "Rick McIver is running!", what possible useful information about an election could you cram into less than a sentence?

Now get off my lawn.

Bigtime
Aug 16, 2010, 4:31 PM
From FFWD blogs:

Mayoral campaign "death watch" begins; former Liberal strategist joins Higgins's camp

Posted by Trevor Scott Howell in The Howler

Aside from a well-placed zinger or two from mayoral candidate Naheed Nenshi and head-scratching comments from Alnoor Kassam ("Does anyone know why we need business licenses? I don't."), the August 12 mayoral forum was light on substance and logic and heavy on platitudes and yawns.

Yet away from the spotlight were some noteworthy developments, including Wayne Stewart who was a no-show because his mother is quite ill, the hiring of a prominent Liberal strategist to Barb Higgins's camp and rumblings that several candidates may soon be ready to call it a day and throw their support behind more viable contenders.

The "death watch," noted one political observer, has begun.

The reason for candidates pulling out, of course, is money — or lack of to be more specific. A packed field of candidates vying for a shallow pool of campaign donations coupled with media reports and questionable poll results trumpeting a two-horse race aren't helping lesser-known candidates gain headlines or funds.

In fact, one alderman's mayoral campaign is rumoured to be in such dire financial shape that its likely he'll drop out and try to retain his aldermanic seat this fall — perfectly legal, but...

Also noteworthy was the appearance of former Liberal strategist Donn Lovett spotted handing out pamphlets for Barb Higgins, not as a favour, but as her campaign manager. "She was told to get Donn Lovett," said Lovett, never one to shy away from to self-promotion.

According to Lovett, Higgins's camp called him while he was working overseas. A quick plane ride across the pond and some face time with Higgins on Monday last week convinced him she is the anointed one. (The money likely helped too.)

Read more at: http://www.ffwdweekly.com/calgary-blogs/the-howler/2010/08/16/mayoral-candidates-readying-to-drop-out-liberal-strategist-joins-higginss-camp-504/

Bigtime
Aug 16, 2010, 4:41 PM
So any guesses as to which aldermanic mayoral campaign is on life support? I would guess Connelly myself.

fusili
Aug 16, 2010, 4:42 PM
Well I've got to say that I think the election discussion on the Twitter hashtag #yycvote is officially going to shit.

I agree. Hughes and Lord just spam it with nonsense, and there are a few posters (is that the term for them?) who just fill it with random statements, trolling and stuff that is just plain off topic. Some people post relevant media articles, and links to candidate policy documents, which is useful. I really appreciate tweets from people like DJKelly, Jason Markusoff, CivicCamp and Calgary Democracy because they are actually doing stuff with regards to the election in terms of candidate interviews, forums and media articles.

But like any social media these days, you have to wade through a lot of crap to get some good stuff.

Just realized we are talking about twitter on an online forum. Do you want to start a facebook conversation about this now?:haha: :haha:

Bigtime
Aug 16, 2010, 4:50 PM
Just realized we are talking about twitter on an online forum. Do you want to start a facebook conversation about this now?:haha: :haha:

Oh I did it to be meta as fuck! :haha:

fusili
Aug 16, 2010, 5:14 PM
So any guesses as to which aldermanic mayoral campaign is on life support? I would guess Connelly myself.

I would say Connelly for sure. I think Hawkesworth, Johnson (is that his name? goes to show how much he is impacting this election), and probably Kassam are also looking fairly desperate. Hughes and Lord will stay in it, mostly because their campaign consists solely of spamming people on twitter. Stewart is a big question mark, his Olympic bid doesn't work well for him and Hehr does not seem to be gaining much traction at all. So, it might be a two or three person race soon (at least realistically).

jeffwhit
Aug 16, 2010, 6:44 PM

Joe or Hawksworth, both seem to be perceived as "lite" versions of more popular candidates.

srperrycgy
Aug 16, 2010, 7:04 PM
Agreed on Connelly or Hawksworth to drop out. Connelly has been quiet lately. Some of the candidates would be better off to try running for Alderman. #yycvote has become a troll-fest lately, but some of the tweets by the candidates (especialy Lord's) are just inane.

Innersoul1
Aug 16, 2010, 8:27 PM
Nenshi just released his video on his 3 Key Platform Themes, I was very happy to supply some photos to this video. See if you can spot them!

89bzyRXK9nQ

Thanks for posting that Biggie. I like the airport pics you contributed.

I also like Nenshi's platform. He seems every intelligent and informed.

Wooster
Aug 16, 2010, 9:15 PM
Tracking of social media related to the campaign.

Nenshi has most twitter followers and youtube uploads - particularly because of his latest video. Closing in fast on Ric McIver's facebook "likes" - adding about 100 people a week.

http://www.anduro.com/calgary-mayor-race.html

Question becomes how he can translate his significant online popularity into name recognition city-wide.

Surrealplaces
Aug 16, 2010, 9:57 PM
Tracking of social media related to the campaign.

Nenshi has most twitter followers and youtube uploads - particularly because of his latest video. Closing in fast on Ric McIver's facebook "likes" - adding about 100 people a week.

http://www.anduro.com/calgary-mayor-race.html

Question becomes how he can translate his significant online popularity into name recognition city-wide.

It shows a trend of younger people following a person like Nenshi, so if anything at least it bodes well for the future.

If Nenshi doesn't win, I'd like to see him at least get a good showing. Whatever happened with that Calgary Sun online poll?

Riise
Aug 16, 2010, 9:59 PM
In case anyone hasn't had a chance to view the video of the Mayoral Forum the other night, here's (http://www.youtube.com/user/MabuhayCalgaryNews#g/u) the link.

mersar
Aug 16, 2010, 10:29 PM
If Nenshi doesn't win, I'd like to see him at least get a good showing. Whatever happened with that Calgary Sun online poll?

Nenshi won by a landslide. 36% vs 18% for Higgins and 16% for McIver. Solely due to his followers on twitter, facebook and his email list.

fusili
Aug 16, 2010, 10:29 PM
It shows a trend of younger people following a person like Nenshi, so if anything at least it bodes well for the future.

Nenshi won with 38%. Higgins and McIver took 17% and 16% respectively and Hehr took 12%. They published it in the paper today. That will make some Sun readers do a double take. Doesn't mean much of course, but it made it into the paper and that means more people know his name then before. Online polls, twitter, facebook and youtube don't win elections. But they help.

Radley77
Aug 16, 2010, 11:53 PM
This is my perception of where the bigger candidates lie in terms of personality typology according to Myers Briggs Type Indicator:

Nenshi: ENTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENTP)
McIver: ESFJ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESFJ)
Higgins: ESFP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESFP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

The means by which they gather information (N/S) is probably the biggest difference between candidates.

gantenbein
Aug 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
From the Wikipedia link:
"ESFJs project warmth through a genuine interest in the well-being of others. They are often skilled at bringing out the best in people, and they want to understand other points of view.
[...] Easily hurt, ESFJs seek approval. They take pleasure in other people's happiness. They give generously but expect appreciation in return. Sensitive to the physical needs of others, they respond by offering practical care."

Yup, McIver through and through.:sly:

srperrycgy
Aug 17, 2010, 1:47 AM
Yes, let's use touchy-feely HR bullshit metrics to determine who we should vote for. Yeah, that's how I choose a candidate.

Radley77
Aug 17, 2010, 7:33 AM
Yes, let's use touchy-feely HR bullshit metrics to determine who we should vote for. Yeah, that's how I choose a candidate.

haha, i had to read that twice!! I am basing my vote on the volume of snow in October...

Nenshi better be prepped to have a shovel ready.

fusili
Aug 17, 2010, 7:58 AM
This is my perception of where the bigger candidates lie in terms of personality typology according to Myers Briggs Type Indicator:

Nenshi: ENTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENTP)
McIver: ESFJ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESFJ)
Higgins: ESFP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESFP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

From Wikipedia:

Jung's theory of psychological type, as published in his 1921 book, was not tested through controlled scientific studies.[25] Jung's methods primarily included clinical observation, introspection and anecdote—methods that are largely regarded as inconclusive by the modern field of psychology.[25]

Jung's type theory introduced a sequence of four cognitive functions (thinking, feeling, sensing, and intuition), each having one of two orientations (extraverted or introverted), for a total of eight functions. The Myers-Briggs theory is based on these eight functions, although with some differences in expression (see Differences from Jung above). However, neither the Myers-Briggs nor the Jungian models offer any scientific, experimental proof to support the existence, the sequence, the orientation, or the manifestation of these functions

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator)

So what you are saying is that based on a made-up, non-scientific evaluation of the candidates you think the greatest difference is ... what exactly?

I think the greatest difference is that Nenshi clearly uses the force, while McIver is looked over by Thor and Higgins clearly has Aquarius in line with her destiny.

Surrealplaces
Aug 17, 2010, 3:19 PM
Nenshi won with 38%. Higgins and McIver took 17% and 16% respectively and Hehr took 12%. They published it in the paper today. That will make some Sun readers do a double take. Doesn't mean much of course, but it made it into the paper and that means more people know his name then before. Online polls, twitter, facebook and youtube don't win elections. But they help.

That's what I'm hoping. It may not be a true sampling of the public, but it raises his profile, which is good, especially with some candidates potentially dropping out.

MalcolmTucker
Aug 17, 2010, 4:29 PM
That's what I'm hoping. It may not be a true sampling of the public, but it raises his profile, which is good, especially with some candidates potentially dropping out.

Yeah, and it helps the media stay apprised on your (a candidates) every move without bombarding them with press releases.

There is something to be said about 'opinion leaders', the digerati, etc - it can really change outcomes on an election. With two right wingers, media will want a different perspective for stories, and given the 'ground swell' they will be more likely to choose Nenshi than Hehr for example.

fusili
Aug 17, 2010, 5:19 PM
Yeah, and it helps the media stay apprised on your (a candidates) every move without bombarding them with press releases.

There is something to be said about 'opinion leaders', the digerati, etc - it can really change outcomes on an election. With two right wingers, media will want a different perspective for stories, and given the 'ground swell' they will be more likely to choose Nenshi than Hehr for example.

Definitely agreed. If Nenshi can position himself as the alternative to Higgins and McIver, he stands a good chance. He just has to ensure he has well thought out, defensible and most importantly, easy to understand, policies. The more those ideas get out, the more people will pay attention.

Radley77
Aug 17, 2010, 5:48 PM
From Wikipedia:

So what you are saying is that based on a made-up, non-scientific evaluation of the candidates you think the greatest difference is ... what exactly?

I think the greatest difference is that Nenshi clearly uses the force, while McIver is looked over by Thor and Higgins clearly has Aquarius in line with her destiny.

From Wikipedia:

It's somewhat qualitative... but I think Nenshi leans towards introspective\intuition (N, abstract) thinking and McIver leans towards observant\sensing (S, concrete) thinking. It's these qualities that might make Nenshi a better fit for a CEO position (idea creation and budgeting), whereas McIver may be a better fit for a COO position (implementation and process control).

freeweed
Aug 17, 2010, 6:14 PM
Why I'll never ever trust a single politician. (http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/braidbuzz/archive/2010/06/14/higgins-rules-herself-out-for-mayor.aspx)

Seriously, it's like they practice lying before ever even trying to become politicians.

Posted mostly tongue-in-cheek. ;)

gantenbein
Aug 17, 2010, 6:56 PM
Why I'll never ever trust a single politician. (http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/braidbuzz/archive/2010/06/14/higgins-rules-herself-out-for-mayor.aspx)

Seriously, it's like they practice lying before ever even trying to become politicians.

Posted mostly tongue-in-cheek. ;)

For me, this sort of thing is less about trust and honesty (since I think anyone's entitled to change his or her mind), than it is about poor communications strategy -- why would anyone want to so definitively rule themselves out so early when they know it can come back to bite them?

Bigtime
Aug 19, 2010, 6:30 PM
My Twitter rage continues, now a bunch of the yyc people are fighting over which hashtag should be used for the election. #yycvote or #yycvotes. Funny thing was they did a poll on a website a few months ago and #yycvote had the majority.

One of the tweeters is going so far as to say that the #yycvote people are pushing their agendas and will on those that won't use it. It's just...silly.

Bigtime
Aug 20, 2010, 2:23 PM
So did Hawkesworth just torpedo his mayoral campaign?

Hawkesworth launches anti-tunnel campaign

Last Updated: Thursday, August 19, 2010 | 6:09 PM MT

Veteran alderman and mayoral candidate Bob Hawkesworth has launched an online petition to keep the proposed airport tunnel from being built.

Hawkesworth held a news conference Thursday in the empty field where the tunnel's east portal would stand, if the estimated $287-million project comes to fruition.

"I believe it's the height of irresponsibility, when you don't have any money, to be promising people you can build something that you can't build," Hawkesworth, first elected to city council in 1980, told CBC News.

"And it offers only limited benefit."

With a new web page, the Ward 4 alderman plans to petition the next city council to continue opposition to the project.

Council rejected a suggestion last month to spend $150 million to rough in a tunnel underneath a new runway slated for the Calgary International Airport.

The proposal, put forth by Ald. Jim Stevenson, would have seen the city lay the groundwork for an underground artery linking 96th Avenue to 36th Street N.E., but finish the project at a later date.

The route would compensate for the closure of Barlow Trail between 48th Avenue and Airport Road, which will happen in April 2011 to make way for the fourth runway at the airport.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/08/19/calgary-alderman-petition-airport-tunnel-project.html#socialcomments#ixzz0x9jyBVda

On the other hand I have to give him some props for having the balls to come out with something like this. I'm guessing this is his big gamble, if it completely backfires he's outta this race.

MichaelS
Aug 20, 2010, 2:39 PM
Well he seemed to be lagging the front runners, so needed to make a big splash to gain some attention. A big gamble for sure. I have to say, I can see where he is coming from, as I always thought the huge "demand" for the airport tunnel seemed like it was drummed up by the media, and not by actual traffic studies or reports.

Innersoul1
Aug 20, 2010, 2:42 PM
WOW! That is a aHUGE gamble. I guess he is assuming that most Calgarian's don't understand the purpose of the tunnel and see it as council spending frivilously.

Bigtime
Aug 20, 2010, 2:54 PM
On another note, Mrs. Bigtime, Littletime, and myself have joined the volunteers for Team Nenshi. I have my purple shirt and am ready to rock!

freeweed
Aug 20, 2010, 2:56 PM
My Twitter rage continues, now a bunch of the yyc people are fighting over which hashtag should be used for the election. #yycvote or #yycvotes. Funny thing was they did a poll on a website a few months ago and #yycvote had the majority.

One of the tweeters is going so far as to say that the #yycvote people are pushing their agendas and will on those that won't use it. It's just...silly.

I'd like to wax eloquent on the medium vs the message, or seeing the forest for the trees, or discussing how OCD types tend to gravitate towards these sorts of things...

Instead I'll just sum it up on one word: Twits.

freeweed
Aug 20, 2010, 2:59 PM
WOW! That is a aHUGE gamble. I guess he is assuming that most Calgarian's don't understand the purpose of the tunnel and see it as council spending frivilously.

The way a lot of people here (well, everywhere) think, he's right. I bet if you interviewed random people on the street, you'd get a majority of "well, I'll never use it, so why should my taxes be wasted on it" kind of comments.

Same goes for the ring road, LRT, pretty much any public infrastructure. Which is why these single-issue candidates generally tank. Voters may fixate on an issue briefly, but people don't tend to vote that way. At least so far.

Innersoul1
Aug 20, 2010, 4:05 PM
Mayor's race moves to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube as candidates embrace social media
By Tamara Gignac, Calgary Herald August 20, 2010 8:31 AM

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Mayor+race+moves+Facebook+Twitter+YouTube+candidates+embrace+social/3421479/story.html#ixzz0xA9WoP4F

In the race for Calgary's next mayor, candidates are turning to the Internet and social media to create a little buzz.

The idea is to use Facebook, Twitter and YouTube as a cost-effective means to reach voters, widen political debate and respond to criticism from rivals.

"Technology is hardwired into the DNA of my campaign. It isn't a gimmick," says candidate Naheed Nenshi.

The university instructor has even launched an iPhone application that consolidates the components of his campaign -- video, Facebook, Twitter, news releases and photos -- into a single page that can be downloaded by anyone who is interested.

"I was initially skeptical, but people are using the app to not only talk about my policies and the issues, but also to sign up as donors. They are going forth and telling their friends."

The Oct. 18 mayoral contest is shaping up to be the most technology-based political race ever seen in the city.

Most candidates have a Facebook page and use Twitter to some degree, although it remains unclear what impact social media and things like YouTube videos will ultimately have during this fall's municipal election.

Voters can expect to see lawn signs and billboards.

But the political game changed forever in 2008, when millions of online supporters, donors and organizers helped propel former Illinois senator Barack Obama to the White House.

For a politician, a single tweet or Facebook message can be an inexpensive means to generate interest and engage a wide audience of voters.

"Every year, technology becomes more and more important," says Ald. Ric McIver.

McIver has the most Facebook followers of any of the candidates.

"It doesn't mean the traditional campaign has gone away. We'll still be knocking on doors and putting up signs and billboards," he says.

But some political observers argue it will take more than an iPhone app and 140-character tweets to shake the outcome of the average municipal contest in Canada.

Civic races are typically driven by bread-and-butter issues -- things like property taxes and schools -- that fail to resonate with the under-25 demographic, says Duane Bratt, chair of policy studies at Mount Royal University.

And while social media is a valuable way to rally people who already support you, a candidate is far more likely to gain political traction with a traditional campaign, he noted.

"You have to sign up for Twitter and you have to physically look for a website. Road signs hit everybody," says Bratt.

"Even if you have 15,000 Twitter followers -- which sounds like a lot -- you can't make the assumption that every follower is going to vote for you, or that it will win you an election."

Most mayoral hopefuls agree the Internet is a useful weapon in their political arsenal. That doesn't mean they won't jostle for attention using other, decidedly low-tech means.

Ald. Bob Hawkesworth has only 141 Facebook fans, but a 22-second automated message has been hitting telephones across the city since July.

And much like previous mayoral races, Calgarians can expect to see lawn signs, transit advertisements, flyers and billboards.

But with voter turnout traditionally the lowest in municipal elections, candidate Wayne Stewart hopes the Internet and social media will engage apathetic Calgarians in a dialogue and ultimately encourage them to cast a ballot.

"We won't know until Oct. 18 whether any of this will translate into increased voter interest and involvement or not," Stewart said.

"Obama had people who were very astute at the use of social media on his campaign. So far, I don't see an Obama in the Calgary civic election."

According to Nenshi, technology has more than paid off in his campaign. For instance, one of his policy announcements was shared by 130 Facebook supporters and ultimately reached 13,000 people.

"You've still got to knock on doors, make phone calls and show up at every festival," he said.

"But if someone posts something on my Facebook fan page, I can respond to it. It's all part of a multi-faceted strategy. Any campaign that gets the hyper-engaged people involved is the campaign that's going to win."

tgignac@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Mayor+race+moves+Facebook+Twitter+YouTube+candidates+embrace+social/3421479/story.html#ixzz0xA9QJKJP

DizzyEdge
Aug 20, 2010, 4:31 PM
On another note, Mrs. Bigtime, Littletime, and myself have joined the volunteers for Team Nenshi. I have my purple shirt and am ready to rock!

Wasn't Mrs Bigtime a Hehr supporter? Guess we see who wears the pants in the Bigtime family :whip:

mr.steevo
Aug 20, 2010, 5:19 PM
But with voter turnout traditionally the lowest in municipal elections, candidate Wayne Stewart hopes the Internet and social media will engage apathetic Calgarians in a dialogue and ultimately encourage them to cast a ballot.

I would support online voting.

I have no idea how it would work, but I'd support it.

s.

Bigtime
Aug 20, 2010, 5:43 PM
Wasn't Mrs Bigtime a Hehr supporter? Guess we see who wears the pants in the Bigtime family :whip:

I guess my powers of persuasion are strong...giggity.

DizzyEdge
Aug 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Speaking of which I got a Hehr robo-call today.

freeweed
Aug 22, 2010, 1:13 AM
Speaking of which I got a Hehr robo-call today.

People like this have completely ruined the usefulness of telephones for me. I don't even answer mine anymore it's so flooded with crap. Dog bless caller ID and answering machines.

Ferreth
Aug 22, 2010, 3:02 AM
People like this have completely ruined the usefulness of telephones for me. I don't even answer mine anymore it's so flooded with crap. Dog bless caller ID and answering machines.

Hell, I don't even pay for caller ID. My friends/family know if they want to get a hold of me LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP. Kent Herr just lost my vote - I got the same robo call today too, along with another 3 hang ups that were some sort of robo call too, that's why I'm so against these things - should be illegal for non-solicited calls outside of emergency services.

MalcolmTucker
Aug 22, 2010, 1:36 PM
Who is going to make a law against these auto calls? ;)

freeweed
Aug 22, 2010, 3:55 PM
Hell, I don't even pay for caller ID. My friends/family know if they want to get a hold of me LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP. Kent Herr just lost my vote - I got the same robo call today too, along with another 3 hang ups that were some sort of robo call too, that's why I'm so against these things - should be illegal for non-solicited calls outside of emergency services.

Same. Caller ID comes with the cell (it's amazing how many unsolicited calls I get on my cell these days; I thought it was illegal). At home, I still have an old-fashioned stand-alone answering machine, so that I can hear when people start talking and pick it up if it's anyone important. You can always tell an auto-dialer: I have a VERY short "leave a message", and the auto-dialers think someone has answered, but the human it's transferred to doesn't hear the message as it's so short. So I get 4-10 messages a week of "hello? hello? hello?" :haha:

Unsolicited phone calls to private residences should be illegal, period. Failing that, there should be a way for me to set my phone that way. Something like a "do not call me, EVER" list. I wonder if we could ever get something like that legally in place.

MalcolmTucker
Aug 22, 2010, 4:52 PM
Something like a "do not call me, EVER" list. I wonder if we could ever get something like that legally in place.
The existing do not call list exempts: newspapers, companies you already have contracts with, or have had recently, political parties, survey companies, and charities. (there may be others as well)

You can argue that without the ability to call, each of those organization that provide a societal good, or provide(d) you a service would be harmed enough to make society function less well.

That being said, the do not call registry still doesn't work as well as in the USA, where they have stopped the 'win a cruise' calls outright. In Canada the problem to begin with was never as bad as in the USA either.

DizzyEdge
Aug 22, 2010, 10:13 PM
re: candidates dropping out, looks like Nenshi isn't planning on it anytime soon as he posted on Facebook that his campaign office is almost ready.

mersar
Aug 22, 2010, 10:38 PM
Yep.

So far we have:

McIver at Macleod and Glenmore
Hehr at Macleod and 25th
Nenshi on 16th Ave NEI haven't heard anything about any of the others setting up their campaign offices yet.

MalcolmTucker
Aug 23, 2010, 1:59 AM
I am surprised Hehr stuck in the race. I expect a rather low key campaign from him compared to the 'front runners' due to a shortage of funds.

Bigtime
Aug 23, 2010, 2:34 AM
I thought Connelly had an office just east of the Calgary tower in the Palliser complex?

DizzyEdge
Aug 24, 2010, 7:14 PM
Yep.

So far we have:

McIver at Macleod and Glenmore
Hehr at Macleod and 25th
Nenshi on 16th Ave NEI haven't heard anything about any of the others setting up their campaign offices yet.

I thought Connelly had an office just east of the Calgary tower in the Palliser complex?

Yeah in this building
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=calgary&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.871902,58.974609&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=51.043283,-114.062183&spn=0,0.013733&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.043282,-114.062028&panoid=f9ZgdurtmItC2XS07YAWow&cbp=12,139.15,,0,2.83

or was that Hawksworth, I think it said Connelly

MalcolmTucker
Aug 24, 2010, 7:17 PM
^ must be Hawksworth, saw Connelly here:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=calgary&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.871902,58.974609&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.044559,-114.062245&panoid=PQ4IPYi1LH3-cLJdYEbJPA&cbp=12,161.71,,0,2.2&ll=51.043282,-114.062028&spn=0.004864,0.010332&z=17

(the CRU with the blacked out ad panels in street view)

DizzyEdge
Aug 24, 2010, 7:29 PM
^ must be Hawksworth, saw Connelly here:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=calgary&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.871902,58.974609&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.044559,-114.062245&panoid=PQ4IPYi1LH3-cLJdYEbJPA&cbp=12,161.71,,0,2.2&ll=51.043282,-114.062028&spn=0.004864,0.010332&z=17

(the CRU with the blacked out ad panels in street view)

Ok then it was Hawksworth, I doubted myself because the mailing address on his website is to a Kensington road address.

devonb
Aug 25, 2010, 6:14 AM
I've received 3 messages from Hawksworth so far. It's annoying and impersonal. Met Nenshi and Hehr at the Sunfest and both seemed nice, though Nenshi was more enthusiastic (probably due to my purple button).

Wooster
Aug 26, 2010, 6:54 PM
Nenshi Better Idea #8 Council reform and accountability.

http://www.nenshi.ca/new/2010/183

freeweed
Aug 26, 2010, 7:56 PM
Global had a piece last night about some new contender who's thrown her hat into the ring. Apparently her entire platform is a) reduce all fees for parents to zero, and b) cut the mayor's salary in half.

Bigtime
Aug 26, 2010, 8:40 PM
She's also a communist, and apparently a bunch of the fees she wants to eliminate are not controlled by municipalities.

I think that puts her firmly in the "lunatic fringe" category of candidates.

mr.steevo
Aug 26, 2010, 8:49 PM
Nenshi Better Idea #8 Council reform and accountability.

http://www.nenshi.ca/new/2010/183

“Part of the problem is the process. Council members know no one is paying attention, and this can lead to outrageous behaviour, from charging for dry cleaning to spending hours discussing whether someone can keep a driveway that’s been there for 70 years when they do a renovation."

Hi,

That sounds like my neighbour's driveway debacle which has been going on for 7 years.(!) Apparently it has firmly divided the neighbours from each other to the point that they don't speak to each other.

Nice work.

s.

Wooster
Aug 26, 2010, 11:56 PM
No political race is complete without a good commie! it's so awesome. Rainbow party too, anyone?

Bigtime
Aug 27, 2010, 12:54 AM
Not just rainbow party anymore, we need the double rainbow party man!

gantenbein
Aug 27, 2010, 4:27 PM
I received an automated call last night asking me to participate in a survey "about my participation in the mayoral election". There were four questions -- whether I voted last time and plan to vote this time, how I describe my politics (fiscal conservative, progressive, or populist), and then I was given a few policy statements and asked which I agree with the most.

What I found curious was that I was told at the end of the call which candidate's policies were most closely aligned with my outlook (Nenshi, no news there).

This made me wonder who is really behind the phone call (i.e. whether it's really an impartial organisation or perhaps from Nenshi's campaign). Would be interesting to know if they would have really given me the result 'McIver', had I answered 'fiscal conservative' and gone down that path, but I guess we'll never know.

DizzyEdge
Aug 27, 2010, 5:32 PM
I received an automated call last night asking me to participate in a survey "about my participation in the mayoral election". There were four questions -- whether I voted last time and plan to vote this time, how I describe my politics (fiscal conservative, progressive, or populist), and then I was given a few policy statements and asked which I agree with the most.

What I found curious was that I was told at the end of the call which candidate's policies were most closely aligned with my outlook (Nenshi, no news there).

This made me wonder who is really behind the phone call (i.e. whether it's really an impartial organisation or perhaps from Nenshi's campaign). Would be interesting to know if they would have really given me the result 'McIver', had I answered 'fiscal conservative' and gone down that path, but I guess we'll never know.

If I get the call I'll choose all conservative answers and see.

MalcolmTucker
Aug 27, 2010, 6:17 PM
The issue based survey is from a candidate for mayor, that isn't Higgins or McIver (in fact it is from the forum's favoured candidate). It is an example of a good use of robo calling that is much less likely to piss people off.

Radley77
Aug 27, 2010, 6:33 PM
What is a "fiscal conservative?" Is it anti-deficit, anti-tax increase, anti-tax policy updates, anti-wealth distribution, laissez-faire economics, austrian economics, libertarianist or is it more about sandbagging revenue and expense projections?

If I walked into a boardroom and said I was about to present a fiscally conservative budget for next year, the management team would break out in laughter.

freeweed
Aug 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
That survey implies that it's impossible to be a progressive fiscal conservatist.

gantenbein
Aug 28, 2010, 3:42 PM
That survey implies that it's impossible to be a progressive fiscal conservatist.

Well my suspicion was that any answer was going to lead to the same result. If someone self-identifies as a fiscal conservative (whatever that is), then there certainly are quotes and platform pillars from Nenshi that can be brought up to appeal to those voters. Certainly, Plan It is more genuinely fiscally responsible (perhaps a more apt term) than any of the platitudes McIver throws around. And no doubt, the 'populist' option could also be supported with Nenshi quotes.

I do feel that it is clever to get 'survey' respondents to self-identify and then provide them with quotations and policies that are harmonious with their perspective, before revealing that Nenshi is the candidate behind those policies. Many people switch off and are unreceptive to a message (no matter how sensible) if they hear up front that it is from a candidate they haven't previously felt inclined to support.

However, some people might not react well to the lack of transparency in this survey -- essentially exploiting the plausible initial assumption that it is being conducted by an impartial city agency or a polling firm. Doesn't bother me, but I don't know how it'll go over at large.

suburb
Aug 30, 2010, 5:20 AM
Naheed Nenshi just posted links to the Calgary Leadership Forum on Facebook ...

Watch the Calgary Leadership Forum (in 3 parts).

The opening remarks are at:
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video/index.html?releasePID=DFwJ5Ao5grsC8CsX28IGmNJrKWGt_15J

The debate questions are at:
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video/index.html?releasePID=zv4zH4vJq2fQqkEchEsh0m7pzVy0JSfU

And the closing remarks are... at:
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video/index.html?releasePID=ljzofYNKlfRVtCNvA6sW8CCXZQbDesLO

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs331.snc4/41778_106360396059258_7178_n.jpg

suburb
Aug 30, 2010, 8:21 PM
Future Shop Forums article on using technology in political races - with a focus on Calgary's mayor race:

http://www.futureshopforums.ca/t5/Tech-Blog/Running-For-Mayor-There-s-An-App-For-That/ba-p/219356

Wooster
Aug 31, 2010, 7:38 PM
Nenshi's now podcasting discussions about his better ideas. Good stuff.

http://www.facebook.com/NaheedNenshi

First link right now on his facebook.

wmp.dll
Sep 1, 2010, 3:08 AM
Well my suspicion was that any answer was going to lead to the same result. If someone self-identifies as a fiscal conservative (whatever that is), then there certainly are quotes and platform pillars from Nenshi that can be brought up to appeal to those voters. Certainly, Plan It is more genuinely fiscally responsible (perhaps a more apt term) than any of the platitudes McIver throws around. And no doubt, the 'populist' option could also be supported with Nenshi quotes.

I do feel that it is clever to get 'survey' respondents to self-identify and then provide them with quotations and policies that are harmonious with their perspective, before revealing that Nenshi is the candidate behind those policies. Many people switch off and are unreceptive to a message (no matter how sensible) if they hear up front that it is from a candidate they haven't previously felt inclined to support.

However, some people might not react well to the lack of transparency in this survey -- essentially exploiting the plausible initial assumption that it is being conducted by an impartial city agency or a polling firm. Doesn't bother me, but I don't know how it'll go over at large.

I just got that phone call, I put Fiscal Conservative. I still match up with Neshi.

I think that is pretty slimy, and really makes me double think voting for him.

Rusty van Reddick
Sep 1, 2010, 5:14 AM
I just got that phone call, I put Fiscal Conservative. I still match up with Neshi.

I think that is pretty slimy, and really makes me double think voting for him.

He's trying to show that he can appeal to fiscal conservatives- how is that "slimy"? He's supposed to convince you to vote FOR him.

I'm marching with Team Nenshi at the Gay Pride Parade on Sunday... and further to that- Pride Parade is Sunday! Party on Olympic Plaza 1-6.

Bigtime
Sep 1, 2010, 1:07 PM
He's trying to show that he can appeal to fiscal conservatives- how is that "slimy"? He's supposed to convince you to vote FOR him.

I'm marching with Team Nenshi at the Gay Pride Parade on Sunday... and further to that- Pride Parade is Sunday! Party on Olympic Plaza 1-6.

Do you have your purple "Team Nenshi" shirt Rusty? We are out of town for the weekend, but will be spreading the word with the Calgarian's up at the lake we are going to.

Wooster
Sep 1, 2010, 1:33 PM
Nenshi identifies himself as a "fiscal conservative" in fact he likes to say that "you don't know fiscal conservatism until you've grown up in a middle class immigrant family". :)

gantenbein
Sep 1, 2010, 4:47 PM
Yeah, as I say, I have no problem with Nenshi identifying himself as a fiscal conservative -- he can certainly back that up better than those who simply throw the term about and then embrace fiscal irresponsibility by opposing Plan It or voting to exclude the largest part of the city's expenditures (police) from budget cuts.

The only aspects of the phone call that don't sit well with me are that the organisation behind the call doesn't identify itself, and that it is presented as a survey, when, in fact, it's all just a run-up to a candidate endorsement. Though, who knows? Maybe they are actually recording the results.

I don't doubt for a second that any other candidate would also use this sort of tactic, and perhaps it's unfair to hold Nenshi to a higher standard. It's certainly not going to keep me from voting for him.

chenmau
Sep 5, 2010, 4:58 PM
I am a member of Angus Reid Forums. I just had a request to fill out a survey on Calgary Mayoralty candidates. They were surveying interest and knowledge about a lot of candidates, but the ones they seemed most interested were Nenshi, McIver, Higgins, Hawkesworth and Hehr. A question about whether i feel someone that has previously been on council should be mayor. Another on whether someone in the media is qualified for mayor.

Very interesting survey. Was done in cooperation with Zinc Research

devonb
Sep 5, 2010, 5:09 PM
http://www.nenshi.ca/new/2010/204

Posted: Friday, September 3rd, 2010 at 10:55 PM | By: Team Nenshi

There has been a lot of misinformation on the airport tunnel issue lately. We dealt with this way back in July when we released Better Idea #4: Calgarians will have quick, convenient access to their airport.

However, a lot of folks, and one candidate in particular, have been muddying the waters, and it’s important to get the real facts on the table.

We sent the following statement to the media today, and are sharing it with everyone here:

“For several weeks now, Ald. Bob Hawkesworth has staked his campaign on one issue – opposition to the airport tunnel, the same tunnel he voted for repeatedly, most recently last September.

But in his press briefing, released today, he has gone too far. Every paragraph contains at least one significant misstatement or factual error.

First, the cost of the project. No one except Ald. Hawkesworth has ever suggested that the tunnel itself will actually cost $500 million. Estimates for the tunnel have ranged from $40 million to $198 million, with roughly $175 million being the consensus estimate at City Hall. It’s worth noting that a report presented to Ald. Hawkesworth in July said that the cost to not build the tunnel is $350 million, which the City has already budgeted. So the incremental cost of the tunnel is $150 million not the $500 million he claims.

Council has already set aside $50 million for the project, and there is $123 million of unallocated provincial money to come over the course of the next seven years. Borrowing against this cash flow would put taxpayers on the hook for about $2.5 million per year for seven years, not the $500 million he claims.

Further, the Airport Trail Advisory Committee, with whom Ald. Hawkesworth has never met, is not a “small northeast hotel-industry lobby group” but a group of many community associations plus business owners and other stakeholders.

I am deeply disappointed that Ald. Hawkesworth would practice this kind of divisive us-and-them politics. He has learned his lesson well from Mayor Bronconnier’s Council – winning matters more than doing the right thing.”

And here are some Frequently Asked Questions:

Do we need the tunnel?

Yes. It’s been part of the City’s plan since 1995, and was re-affirmed in our long-term plan last September. But Council never set aside the money for it. If we don’t build it now, it will cost $1.2 billion or more to build it in the future – and that’s assuming we even could bore under a live runway!

Without the tunnel, commute times to the airport would double for northeast workers and businesses, and there would be no access to the east side of the city for a distance equivalent to that between City Hall and Heritage Drive. There would be only one functional entrance to the airport, off of an already-clogged Deerfoot Trail.

How many people are impacted?

YYC is one of the busiest airports in Canada, serving over 12 million passengers per year. It’s also one of the largest employment centres in the city, with some 15 to 18,000 people working on the airport lands.

Assuming that a conservative one-third of the workers are commuting from the east side of the airport, not having a tunnel means an additional 36,000 km driven on Calgary roads – every single day.

Principia Communications estimates, using even more conservative projections, that not having the tunnel will cost individual Calgarians $4 million per year forever, and will result in an additional 880 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions annually.

How much will it cost?

Not $500 million. The $500 million cost has been thrown around by many, but it is a number not grounded in any fact. City administration reports that the cost of not building the tunnel is $350 million in additional road upgrades throughout NE Calgary, so even if $500 million is realistic, the actual additional cost of the tunnel is $150 million.

$150 million is less in today’s dollars than the cost of major interchanges like Glenmore/Elbow and likely less than the ultimate cost of the Glenmore/37th interchange. How come we don’t have endless debates about how most people in Calgary live north of Glenmore?

Can’t existing roads handle the traffic?

No. They can’t. Try driving north on Deerfoot after 4:00pm. Any day of the week. You can’t. Any additional traffic would be crippling.

And the current roads to the east are insufficient. 36th Street northeast is a narrow strip of asphalt with no lane markings and no shoulders – and there is no plan to upgrade it. Metis Trail, when completed, will still only be two lanes in portions.

Doesn’t this only help people in the northeast?

This is a city, not four cities. Each quadrant matters and deserves the best Calgary has to offer.

Also, it’s not true. Deerfoot Trail is used by all Calgarians. Airport Trail, when built properly, will be a major east/west corridor for commerce and transportation for the Northwest and the Northeast, as well as making Stoney Trail much more useful.

The tunnel, despite the name, isn’t just for the airport, but it will serve the enormous planned industrial and residential areas in the northeast, with many tens of thousands of residents and workers.

But we don’t have the money, do we?

City Council has set aside $50 million already. Aldermen Stevenson, Jones, and Chabot found an additional unallocated $123 million from the province, meaning that the actual cost of the tunnel is now fully funded. This will cost between $15 and $20 million in interest, but that’s far less than the $1.2 billion or more it will cost us if we wait.

What about the businesses in the area?

The airport area is a vital, buzzing centre of activity, with many restaurants, hotels, and stores. Most of these businesses are new, and were built precisely because the city promised this tunnel. Without the tunnel, many will fail.

This is just about cars. Isn’t improving transit a better solution?

We need the tunnel for effective transit to the airport. It’s almost impossible to serve the airport from the east without it. Others would tell an airport worker who lives in Martindale and can see her office from her deck that she needs to go downtown and then take an “express” bus all the way up Centre Street to get to work. She’ll just drive, thanks.

The tunnel will facilitate an immediate express bus from the NE LRT line, provide for future LRT, and link the NE and proposed North-Centre LRT lines by fast transit.

srperrycgy
Sep 5, 2010, 9:47 PM
Hehr, Higgins, Kassam (no signs, just him walking) were in the Pride Parade. Did see Nenshi at OP, but not on his float, at least at my vantage point at Banker's Hall. Picked up a Nenshi button from a volunteer. It's the first time in my electoral life that I've worn a button to publically indicate my voting preference. My MLA Dave Taylor and Rachel Notley from the NDP were there too.

Rusty van Reddick
Sep 5, 2010, 11:31 PM
I am a member of Angus Reid Forums. I just had a request to fill out a survey on Calgary Mayoralty candidates. They were surveying interest and knowledge about a lot of candidates, but the ones they seemed most interested were Nenshi, McIver, Higgins, Hawkesworth and Hehr. A question about whether i feel someone that has previously been on council should be mayor. Another on whether someone in the media is qualified for mayor.

Very interesting survey. Was done in cooperation with Zinc Research

I'll pass your comments on to my partner- who IS Zinc Research :)

devonb
Sep 6, 2010, 12:43 AM
It's the first time in my electoral life that I've worn a button to publically indicate my voting preference.

Me too. Just got my yard sign yesterday.

chenmau
Sep 6, 2010, 1:50 AM
I'll pass your comments on to my partner- who IS Zinc Research :)

cool! :tup:

MalcolmTucker
Sep 7, 2010, 1:24 PM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4439/barbu.jpg
Anyone heading to this? Seems rather ambitious to have an event such as this this early. Is the reflecting pool still full? Big gamble.

I wonder how one goes about renting the use of the plaza? Perhaps they are just using the small amphitheater at the west end of the pool, but that almost seems too small.

Have any of you heard radio adds promoting this?

jeffwhit
Sep 7, 2010, 2:38 PM
The biggest idiot I know just invited me to become a fan of Ric McIver on facebook. Good to see all is right it the world.

fusili
Sep 7, 2010, 3:00 PM
Not just rainbow party anymore, we need the double rainbow party man!

Double rainbow all the way!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQSNhk5ICTI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQSNhk5ICTI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

halifaxboyns
Sep 7, 2010, 10:21 PM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4439/barbu.jpg
Anyone heading to this? Seems rather ambitious to have an event such as this this early. Is the reflecting pool still full? Big gamble.

I wonder how one goes about renting the use of the plaza? Perhaps they are just using the small amphitheater at the west end of the pool, but that almost seems too small.

Have any of you heard radio adds promoting this?

I made it down as I was planning to eat my lunch there. I didn't know it was even on until I went to get my coffee and someone handed my a flyer. Jann Arden introduced her and there were some good parts where the crowd cheered quite loudly. The one I remember was getting recycling to apartment buildings.

I didn't stay much long after she finished speaking; since I was done my sandwhich but it looked like about 4 to 600 people?

Calgary_Guy
Sep 8, 2010, 5:00 AM
I'll put my vote behind the one that takes flouride out of our drinking water! It costs us taxpayers here in Calgary $600,000 a year to add fluoride to the water, plus as much as $5 million in mandatory upgrades to the fluoride systems at the city's water treatment plants — as well as the potential health concerns. The last time this issue was at the table five aldermen supported the motion to remove the substance from Calgary's water supply in part to save money, but it was voted down 7-6.

Science has shown that drinking fluoridated water promotes a variety of physical and mental ailments including sickle-cell anemia, cancer, cardiovascular disease, Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. This could in fact be part of the global plan to dumb us down, in fact the city of Watsonville California just last week was cited by the California Department of Public Health for failure to comply with an order by the state to fluoridate the water supply. The citation was received by the city Thursday and demands written assurance from the city by Aug. 29 that it will comply, and plan and schedule for fluoridation submitted by Sept. 19. City Attorney Al Smith said the citation appeared “out of the clear blue.” Please look up the facts, this is not B.S. :sly:

bob1954
Sep 8, 2010, 5:36 AM
If she can run the city as well as she looks, Calgary will do well.... but I don't beleive that's gonna happen! I like Stewart and Nenshi.

MalcolmTucker
Sep 8, 2010, 10:47 AM
The only way fluoride is coming out of the water system is a health canada edict or another plebiscite. Otherwise, the issue is radioactive.

Oh, and downs syndrome is caused by a genetic defect (trisomy 21), if fluoridation had a causal relationship to that, we would have a lot more genetic problems, and not just downs. (plus, a large portion of the world's population have naturally fluoridated water and seem to be getting on just fine).

Doesn't help that your sub-nickname is a reference to an Obama conspiracy either, just saying.

Bigtime
Sep 8, 2010, 12:53 PM
Chemtrails?

Bigtime
Sep 8, 2010, 12:59 PM
Heads up, at 7:40am the CBC Eyeopener (1010 AM) will have McIver, Hawkesworth, and Nenshi in studio to debate the airport tunnel.

It's gonna be a slobberknocker!

Bigtime
Sep 8, 2010, 2:44 PM
Damn, I was all settled in and listening to Nenshi's opening remarks when I had to get pulled away. Waiting for the link so I can listen to it later. According to some of the #yycvote tweets the debate got "tense" as it went on.

O-tacular
Sep 8, 2010, 3:40 PM
For once I agree with what he has to say.

News Columnists / Rick Bell
Mayoral race empty calories

By RICK BELL, Calgary Sun

Last Updated: September 8, 2010 9:24am

Cotton candy, popcorn and hot dogs. They’re all here.

Alas, no bottles of whisky.

Yes, the day after Labour Day and Barb Higgins is the star of her very own spectacle. A candidate accused of a lack of substance holds an event lacking substance.

No matter.

Among the two frontrunners, this race to be the next mayor is not about substance. Not yet. Maybe not ever. It’s about getting through the day saying as little as possible and, beyond all else, not screwing up.

The deep-thinkers of Team Barb realize this parade to the polls is way more pageant than policy.

The upbeat Dave Kelly works his master of ceremonies magic. Jann Arden introduces Barb. Even Jann is happy. No one is insensitive.

Bruce Cameron, a well-known pollster, is on stage playing drums for a band named Swamp Donkey doing early Kenny Rogers.

To top it off, a singer of the poppiest of pop comes out and serenades us with saccharin.

“Rise up, don’t be afraid, sing out, you know the way,” appear the words on what looks like a giant karaoke screen. “You can be the change, to see in this world. So rise up.”

We wait for “We are the world, we are the children …”

We also wait for the lighters to come out but nobody here smokes.

The rest of the time there is a big photo of Barb on the screen. The text flows slowly past the big-screen Barb. Trustworthy. Positive leadership. A fresh approach to city hall. A strong voice for Calgary.

The popcorn keeps popping. The cotton candy holds its sugar.

Barb speaks.

She wants better auditing. Applause. She says the Calatrava bridge cost too much. More applause.

Shooting big fish in a small barrel.

She isn’t against the airport tunnel but doesn’t think the city can pay for it alone. Not yes. Not no. Perfect.

Barb smiles. She smiles a lot.

More than one in the crowd comment how nicely Barb smiles. An individual even says they are now voting for Barb and not Joe Connelly because she has a nicer smile. Work on it, Joe. Work on it.

Far, far back in the assembled is Rod Love, the man who put Ralph in the mayor’s chair 30 years ago. He smiles, too.

The press ask questions of Barb. This scribbler wonders how she’ll make up the city’s $60-million shortfall in next year’s budget.

“I’m looking at areas of overlap,” she replies.

“I’m not prepared to say what they are. I don’t want to send fear through anyone’s department.”

No, we wouldn’t want to do that, would we?

Barb adds she brings a “fresh approach.” Wasn’t that on the karaoke screen?

The former newsreader’s biggest ally is Ald. Ric McIver, who has undergone what appears to be a political castration.

Dr. No is Mr. Nothing.

In a news release, McIver says he will urge council to push back a revised budget until the spring of 2011.

He will get the city bigwigs, who he’s never appeared to care for very much, to find the “sensible cost-controls.”

He isn’t even uttering the word “cuts.”

The target for tax hikes is inflation or below so, in McIver’s plan, we’re looking at well over $100-million in budget cuts or dipping into the city’s rainy-day fund, which isn’t a permanent solution and doesn’t deal with the wasteful blowing of bucks.

McIver gives us no hint of where the knife will hit the numbers and he’s already supported Bronco in taking the city’s biggest budget, the cops, off the chopping block.

Meanwhile, in another release, former alderman Craig Burrows brings up how Barb doesn’t want to call in the province’s auditor general. He says the city shouldn’t waste a million on outside auditors when he knows the decision to bring in bean counters has been made.

As for bringing in the auditor general, his office says they’ve sent their reply to Burrows. Guess he doesn’t check his mail.

Then there’s Wayne Stewart, on the second floor of an Indian restaurant tucked away in the northeast.

No karaoke screen. No popcorn. No cotton candy. No early Kenny Rogers.

Wayne offers some specifics and seems sincere and says he is dead against say-nothing “pep rallies.”

There are a dozen in the room.

rick.bell@sunmedia.ca

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/rick_bell/2010/09/08/15280711.html

Frenzy
Sep 8, 2010, 4:11 PM
Airport Tunnel Debate on the Eyeopener is up!

http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/

Calgarian
Sep 8, 2010, 4:54 PM
Hawkesworthe is an idiot and probably won't get any votes. McIver did pretty good in that debate, but Nenshi is the winner in my mind.

Bigtime
Sep 8, 2010, 5:06 PM
Yup, I have to give credit to McIver, it was definitely one of his best debates I have heard him in.

Calgary_Guy
Sep 8, 2010, 5:18 PM
Hawkesworthe is an idiot and probably won't get any votes. McIver did pretty good in that debate, but Nenshi is the winner in my mind.

I would agree, Nenshi and McIver stole the show. I'm impressed with Nenshi and would not be surprised if he moves up considerably in the poles. :tup:

Calgarian
Sep 8, 2010, 5:19 PM
McIver is pretty well spoken, and I do agree with him on a lot of things.

Calgarian
Sep 8, 2010, 5:34 PM
I would agree, Nenshi and McIver stole the show. I'm impressed with Nenshi and would not be surprised if he moves up considerably in the poles. :tup:

I think he's going to get my vote.

Bassic Lab
Sep 8, 2010, 6:53 PM

Really? All three seemed to come across relatively evenly and not altogether well. I am for the tunnel but I do recognize that there is a valid argument against it; Hawkesworth did not effectively make it. Nenshi's position has a big hole in it. He has a point about the cost of not building the tunnel but the idea that it narrows the cost of the tunnel to 150 million does not mean the other 350 million is free. We still need to find 500 million dollars, Nenshi knows this and yet the manner in which he frames the issue is purposeful obfuscation. McIver's best line was a dirty half truth about the Calatrava bridge. The agreement of Nenshi and McIver, that the tunnel will, maybe, be magically cheaper than 500 million because they really hope so, does not inspire confidence either.

I really wasn't thrilled by any of them but at the same time none of them came across as idiots.

MalcolmTucker
Sep 8, 2010, 7:00 PM
Really? All three seemed to come across relatively evenly and not altogether well. I am for the tunnel but I do recognize that there is a valid argument against it; Hawkesworth did not effectively make it. Nenshi's position has a big hole in it. He has a point about the cost of not building the tunnel but the idea that it narrows the cost of the tunnel to 150 million does not mean the other 350 million is free. We still need to find 500 million dollars, Nenshi knows this and yet the manner in which he frames the issue is purposeful obfuscation. McIver's best line was a dirty half truth about the Calatrava bridge. The agreement of Nenshi and McIver, that the tunnel will, maybe, be magically cheaper than 500 million because they really hope so, does not inspire confidence either.

I really wasn't thrilled by any of them but at the same time none of them came across as idiots.

I wouldn't say that it is obfuscation, since Hawkesworth in most forums acts like not building will save $500 million (I have not listened to the debate in question due to being at work and all so can't opine on that directly in this case). The other $350 million will have to be spent over time in either case, it is just a matter of what it is spent on. Building the tunnel does not mean a $500 million bill that we have to cover right away.

suburb
Sep 8, 2010, 7:05 PM
... but Nenshi is the winner in my mind.

That's how he got to the World Debating Championships in his youth and was a business school competition kingpin with the University of Calgary in years past. The guy comes in so extremely well prepared it puts everyone else to shame.

suburb
Sep 8, 2010, 7:11 PM
He has a point about the cost of not building the tunnel

I think the camp that is campaigning on the 'do not build' pillar is not being honest at all with the portrayal by not highlighting this fact. If you choose not to eat healthier food for $2 and instead buy a bag of chips for $1.49, you can't say that you saved $2. At the same time, the net additional cost of buying the healthier food is $0.51, which in the long run will keep you alive longer and healthier at the same time.

suburb
Sep 8, 2010, 7:12 PM
Here we go ... sign the petition:

www.BuildTheTunnel.ca