PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Ottawa

jcollins
Apr 8, 2009, 1:04 AM
I know Flar just posted a very similar thread recently so if it's a little to repeat-ish, I apologize.

So Im moving back to Ottawa (did my undergrad at Carleton). We're looking to rent a one bedroom apartment. Im a fan of Centretown. My girlfriend would like to be fairly close to the water, be it either of the rivers or the canal. We'd like to be somewhere kind of central, but we're flexible. I think the main thing is to be in a less than sketchy neighborhood.

Does anyone have any recommendations of places? Be it through personal experience or that of friends?

Thanks very much

Luker
Apr 8, 2009, 2:43 AM
Well the only thing sketchy really to worry about is Vanier, anything up from that is nothing to worry about, im sure vanier cant even compete with any of depleted neighbourhoods in cgy,edm,mtl, and of course tor/jayne n finich... vanc's east side ect...

But by the sounds of it Hintonburg/West Wellington would suit your budget/needs after that somewere around the canal be it more expensive... and if you really have money to spend consider a condo in the lower town/rideau but either way theirs alots of options.

rodionx
Apr 8, 2009, 4:15 AM
If I had to rent again, I'd probably pick one of the older, well-maintained buildings between O'Connor and the Canal. The views over the old houses are really beautiful, and it's about as central as you can get. It's relatively quiet, too. Nice place to walk around on a Sunday night. You'll hear a certain amount of war whooping from the bar patrons on Elgin, but it's manageable.

YOWetal
Apr 8, 2009, 12:46 PM
If I had to rent again, I'd probably pick one of the older, well-maintained buildings between O'Connor and the Canal. The views over the old houses are really beautiful, and it's about as central as you can get. It's relatively quiet, too. Nice place to walk around on a Sunday night. You'll hear a certain amount of war whooping from the bar patrons on Elgin, but it's manageable.

Agree, and even better, if slightly more expensive, would be between Elgin and the Canal.

Mille Sabords
Apr 8, 2009, 1:12 PM
If you're looking for just a one-bedroom, you should be able to afford Centretown, Sandy Hill or the Byward Market itself, which are really the best areas in terms of being central and close to water, amenities, etc.

Buildings owned by Andrex Holdings (andrexholdings.com) are old, charming, well-maintained and not priced out of reach. My gf lived at the Windsor Arms a few years back and it was a pleasure to be in that building.

jcollins
Apr 8, 2009, 1:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, that's definitely an area we'd thought of.

Are there any that you know of that are really good? Any that aren't? Or are they all fairly reputable

harls
Apr 8, 2009, 4:06 PM
One of my friends lived in a one-bedroom in a house on Fifth Ave in the Glebe, steps from the Canal and Bank street. It is a great location, but probably a lot of $$$.

Ottawade
Apr 8, 2009, 8:37 PM
Both myself and many friends I know live in buildings between said O'Connor and Canal region. You're looking at about $1000 in rent. I haven't heard any horror stories about bad places yet and we all love the neighborhood a lot. Desire for parking might be the only difficulty.

There are a lot of places and at least the buildings around me seem to have decent vacancy right now. If at all possible I'd really recommend walking around and seeing everything thats available as none of the many listing services really captures all thats out there

AuxTown
Apr 8, 2009, 11:01 PM
If you're really interested in being close to it all try calculating a walkability score for your potential rental locations: http://www.walkscore.com/

The website isn't perfect, but I've tried a few locations including my current address (51/100 :() and my new condo (95/100 :tup:) and it generally get's it right. My bias would be towards Centretown as well, which is why I chose to purchase there.

jcollins
Apr 8, 2009, 11:38 PM
Both myself and many friends I know live in buildings between said O'Connor and Canal region. You're looking at about $1000 in rent. I haven't heard any horror stories about bad places yet and we all love the neighborhood a lot. Desire for parking might be the only difficulty.

There are a lot of places and at least the buildings around me seem to have decent vacancy right now. If at all possible I'd really recommend walking around and seeing everything thats available as none of the many listing services really captures all thats out there

Do you happen to know what parking runs in most buildings off there?

If you're really interested in being close to it all try calculating a walkability score for your potential rental locations: http://www.walkscore.com/

The website isn't perfect, but I've tried a few locations including my current address (51/100 :() and my new condo (95/100 :tup:). My bias would be towards Centretown as well, which is why I chose to purchase there.

That's an awesome website! That'll definitely come in handy.

Ottawade
Apr 9, 2009, 2:40 AM
Do you happen to know what parking runs in most buildings off there?

In my building its $90, but its more about availability. However if you can't get parking in your building you can buy a pass from the city for $50 that saves you from all the bylaws but one. You just have to expose your car to the elements.

jcollins
Apr 9, 2009, 1:23 PM
In my building its $90, but its more about availability. However if you can't get parking in your building you can buy a pass from the city for $50 that saves you from all the bylaws but one. You just have to expose your car to the elements.

50 for on street? Or in a lot?

Ottawade
Apr 9, 2009, 1:41 PM
50 for on street? Or in a lot?

On the street in a metered space. However, you get exempt from the most annoying rules that force you to move your car whenever its snows.

YOWflier
Apr 9, 2009, 1:50 PM
Have you considered the Preston Street/Little Italy area?

There exists a newer building on Aberdeen Street called "The Adelaide", which offers clean, well-run, well-maintained, and luxurious rental accomodations. They have 1 and 2 bedroom suites with nice floor plans, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, etc.

The price isn't cheap, but it isn't absurd either; just high enough to keep undesirables out. It's right beside Preston Street and all of its associated amenities, not to mention that it's very close to Centretown and Dow's Lake/the Canal.

www.theadelaide.ca

jcollins
Apr 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'd considered it, don't know the area too well.

Those look really nice. The only prices I was able to f ind was around $1100. Sound about right?

YOWflier
Apr 11, 2009, 2:26 AM
Sounds about right. I believe 1-bedroom apartments start at around $1050, which does not include parking. An underground spot in the garage will set you back an additional $100.

Ottawade
Apr 11, 2009, 5:09 PM
My girlfriend was given 60 days notice on Thursday and we have spent the weekend looking both at 1bedroom places or rooms in houses for her to rent as well as 2+ bedroom places for us to share together. Things out there vary in quality and price way more than I remember. And sometimes the decisions aren't easy! Best of luck to all you hunting out there.

More than anything most of the services for looking up housing online suck! Filtering by a mixture of size/price/neighborhood is far more difficult than it should be and people are terrible at correctly labeling their ads. Although I tried numerous services spending a couple hours trudging through craigslist proved the most fruitful. There are a couple nice places we looked at (esp 2 bedrooms) that I can post if anyone is interested as I think my gf has pretty much decided on the place she will be renting.

amanfromnowhere
Apr 13, 2009, 3:00 PM
Hi folks,
A friend of mine is moving into Ottawa and looking for a rent on the west side from downtown. He found townhouses in Bay Shore affordable but is not sure about this area. He has two kids who will go to school. Could you please share any info about this area and schools (good or bad or so so) in this area?
Thanks!

Ottawade
Apr 13, 2009, 4:13 PM
I did part of my growing up in Bayshore and it was good, but then it got a little rough and there were some gang/drug issues in the neighborhood. That however was 10 years ago and I'm not sure how the neighborhood is now. I would definitely say its got older rentals that are probably in rougher shape than other parts of the city.

Bayshore became the hot spot of Somalian immigration and as a result now has a strong Somalian community. Depending on the heritage of your friend that may factor in.

rodionx
Apr 13, 2009, 4:18 PM
Hi folks,
A friend of mine is moving into Ottawa and looking for a rent on the west side from downtown. He found townhouses in Bay Shore affordable but is not sure about this area. He has two kids who will go to school. Could you please share any info about this area and schools (good or bad or so so) in this area?
Thanks!

Hmmm... I've never lived there, so all I can tell you is that it does have a reputation as a rough neighbourhood, at least by Ottawa standards. It's one of the five deprived neighbourhoods singled out for special attention by the City. Here is the Community Development Framework entry for Bayshore (http://www.cdfottawa.ca/bayshore.html). Here's an old thread on Bayshore at Ottawakiosk (https://www.ottawakiosk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1908).

You've got to take it all with a grain of salt, though. It comes down to how you draw the neighbourhood's boundaries. There might be very pleasant areas within it. Your friend should also check the catchment areas for the schools.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 13, 2009, 4:43 PM
Some areas around Bayshore are very nice, namely Aleutian. The area fenced in by the highway, Richmond, Baseline and Greenbank is quite nice.

amanfromnowhere
Apr 13, 2009, 5:10 PM
Thanks guys for information!
It is very helpful to get your opinions:-)

osbort
Apr 13, 2009, 6:04 PM
Some areas around Bayshore are very nice, namely Aleutian. The area fenced in by the highway, Richmond, Baseline and Greenbank is quite nice.

The neighbourhood that is Bayshore proper has a bad reputation, but I don't know if it is really warranted. I live in Bells Corners, which is somewhat close, and have walked and biked through Bayshore late at night on countless occasions and have never had a problem or felt threatened. The Public and Catholic elementary schools in Bayshore also have a bad reputation, but again I don't know how warranted that is. If in the public school board, the kids would go to D. Aubrey Moodie for middle school in Bells Corners. It was not a very good school and had some characters- mostly coming from Bayshore. But it may have changed since I went there. Bell High School is a fairly good school though and I have heard that St. Paul's High School is also fairly good.
I hope this is helpful.

jcollins
Apr 14, 2009, 2:47 PM
Hmmm... I've never lived there, so all I can tell you is that it does have a reputation as a rough neighbourhood, at least by Ottawa standards. It's one of the five deprived neighbourhoods singled out for special attention by the City. Here is the Community Development Framework entry for Bayshore (http://www.cdfottawa.ca/bayshore.html). Here's an old thread on Bayshore at Ottawakiosk (https://www.ottawakiosk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1908).

You've got to take it all with a grain of salt, though. It comes down to how you draw the neighbourhood's boundaries. There might be very pleasant areas within it. Your friend should also check the catchment areas for the schools.

Do you think the opinions on this neighborhood that are in that thread are still valid a couple years after the fact?

kingcobra
Apr 14, 2009, 4:37 PM
Jcollins,

Perhaps you can try Colonel By Tower apartment building on 315 Holmwood Ave off Bronson Ave. It has a nice walking distance to Rideau Canada, Dows Lake and some great restaurants, stores and Lansdowne Park.

jcollins
Apr 14, 2009, 6:11 PM
Jcollins,

Perhaps you can try Colonel By Tower apartment building on 315 Holmwood Ave off Bronson Ave. It has a nice walking distance to Rideau Canada, Dows Lake and some great restaurants, stores and Lansdowne Park.

Is that the one right on the corner? I hadn't thought of that, a friend of mine used to live there 5 or so years ago.

rodionx
Apr 15, 2009, 12:58 PM
Do you think the opinions on this neighborhood that are in that thread are still valid a couple years after the fact?

I bought some socks at Bayshore mall about two or three years ago, and that's about the sum of my knowledge of the neighbourhood. There was a recent and widely reported spate of robberies (http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2009/03/20/8828936.html) there, but there are people who say its reputation for crime and gangs is overstated (http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080905/OTT_gangs_080905/20080906/?hub=OttawaHome).

Your friend could always try the Quebec side if Bayshore is a concern.

Ottawade
Apr 15, 2009, 1:05 PM
I don't think there are any neighborhoods so horrible that you couldn't live in them in Ottawa. Vanier also has its reputations but my girlfriend lived there for a while, as have many of my friends, and although it is noticeably different it is still fine for living if you find the right balance of price/space there.

kingcobra
Apr 15, 2009, 4:06 PM
Is that the one right on the corner? I hadn't thought of that, a friend of mine used to live there 5 or so years ago.

Yup it is if you notice its white and blue apartment building.

jcollins
Apr 15, 2009, 7:11 PM
I don't think there are any neighborhoods so horrible that you couldn't live in them in Ottawa. Vanier also has its reputations but my girlfriend lived there for a while, as have many of my friends, and although it is noticeably different it is still fine for living if you find the right balance of price/space there.

What did she think of living there>? did she like it?

AuxTown
Apr 16, 2009, 1:39 AM
Vanier's great as long as you live near it's border with New Edinburgh. I have a number of friends that live there and wouldn't have it any other way. One thing that always surprises me, though, is its lack of decent transit connections.

Ottawade
Apr 16, 2009, 1:51 PM
I sorta agree with O-Town. New Edinborough side is nice, as are some of the houses right along the Vanier Parkway (my gf lived on Durocher). She didn't have any negatives, though nothing overwhelmingly positive either. There aren't that many walkable amenities and most of our shopping would have to be done on commutes home from Lower or Centertown.

At the same time she very much prefers where she lives now (near Main)

jcollins
Apr 16, 2009, 2:06 PM
Vanier's great as long as you live near it's border with New Edinburgh. I have a number of friends that live there and wouldn't have it any other way. One thing that always surprises me, though, is its lack of decent transit connections.

So are you talking Montreal rd and North?

I sorta agree with O-Town. New Edinborough side is nice, as are some of the houses right along the Vanier Parkway (my gf lived on Durocher). She didn't have any negatives, though nothing overwhelmingly positive either. There aren't that many walkable amenities and most of our shopping would have to be done on commutes home from Lower or Centertown.

At the same time she very much prefers where she lives now (near Main)

The lack of walkability factor kind of sucks, especially with the lack of transit connections.

Maybe things have changed since I left, but is there much that's special near Main st? Maybe Im drawing a blank

highdensitysprawl
Apr 16, 2009, 2:16 PM

My brothers wife lived in the area north of Mtl Road, west of the Vanier Pkwy and that is technically in the former City of Vanier...It is quite a nice neighbourhood and doesn't bear much of a resemblance to streets like Emond.

jcollins
Apr 16, 2009, 2:51 PM
My brothers wife lived in the area north of Mtl Road, west of the Vanier Pkwy and that is technically in the former City of Vanier...It is quite a nice neighbourhood and doesn't bear much of a resemblance to streets like Emond.

Like the area between Vanier Pkwy and North River Road and south of Beechwood?

Acajack
Apr 16, 2009, 2:56 PM
The fringes of Vanier are pretty nice areas on the north, west and east sides. Southern Vanier borders on Overbrook and though not necessarily dangerous, can be a bit run-down.

The area referred to west of Vanier Pkwy and north of Montreal Rd. is streets like Mark, Wayling and Tudor.

The northeastern side of Vanier near the cemeteries is pretty nice as well. Streets there are Granville, Ida Rocheleau, Pauline Charron.

highdensitysprawl
Apr 16, 2009, 2:57 PM
The area referred to west of Vanier Pkwy and north of Montreal Rd. is streets like Mark, Wayling and Tudor.

That is the area I was referring to.

IMHO, one of the worst streets is rue Emond...some SSP posters may be aware of that street as the entrance of a certain drinking establishment is located on it.

MichelKazan
Apr 16, 2009, 5:30 PM

IMHO, one of the worst streets is rue Emond...some SSP posters may be aware of that street as the entrance of a certain drinking establishment is located on it.

You mean the Playmate?

Acajack
Apr 16, 2009, 5:32 PM
You mean the Playmate?

Never heard of it. :D

jcollins
Apr 16, 2009, 10:29 PM

Are the areas that different? I would have guessed they'd be relatively similar given their fairly close proximity to one another.

highdensitysprawl
Apr 16, 2009, 10:44 PM
Are the areas that different? I would have guessed they'd be relatively similar given their fairly close proximity to one another.

Quite different...on the west side of Vanier Pkwy, north of Mtl Road there a lot of SFR's that are quite different in their appearance. rue Emond is a lot of rooming/flop/crack houses of varying levels of crapiness and then at the end of the street you have a peeler joint.

jcollins
Apr 17, 2009, 1:43 AM
Quite different...on the west side of Vanier Pkwy, north of Mtl Road there a lot of SFR's that are quite different in their appearance. rue Emond is a lot of rooming/flop/crack houses of varying levels of crapiness and then at the end of the street you have a peeler joint.

Wow...soooo based on that they seem kind if different :haha:

jcollins
Mar 18, 2010, 8:28 PM
So a friend of mine is relocating to Ottawa (I gave a good sales pitch - but work helps too) and she's looking at a bunch of various locations. A couple of the apartments are in the Lincoln Fields area. She asked about it, but I really don't know much about the location, so I figured I'd seek the wisdom of SSP

It doesn't look like there's a ton to do in the direct vicinity but it's easy to get to Westboro/Downtown on the transitway, which is something she wants. Anyone know what the areas like? Hopefully I can give her some good advice.

RTWAP
Mar 19, 2010, 6:40 PM
So a friend of mine is relocating to Ottawa (I gave a good sales pitch - but work helps too) and she's looking at a bunch of various locations. A couple of the apartments are in the Lincoln Fields area. She asked about it, but I really don't know much about the location, so I figured I'd seek the wisdom of SSP

It doesn't look like there's a ton to do in the direct vicinity but it's easy to get to Westboro/Downtown on the transitway, which is something she wants. Anyone know what the areas like? Hopefully I can give her some good advice.

It's a sleepy area of town. Lots of retirees. Convenient location though for transit, bike and car.

jcollins
Mar 19, 2010, 7:07 PM
It's a sleepy area of town. Lots of retirees. Convenient location though for transit, bike and car.

She doesn't necessarily want to live in a really busy/crazy area of town, but wants to have access to one, which she would here. Overally good location though? No major issues? I think her main thing is that it's not a sketchy neighbourhood.

RTWAP
Mar 19, 2010, 9:19 PM
She doesn't necessarily want to live in a really busy/crazy area of town, but wants to have access to one, which she would here. Overally good location though? No major issues? I think her main thing is that it's not a sketchy neighbourhood.

It should be fine. There are some sketchier neighbourhoods a couple klicks west of there, but that's Ottawa sketchy ... so not very sketchy at all.

Kitchissippi
Mar 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
The rents in Lincoln Fields are really affordable. Access to transit is as good as it gets, and there is a 24 hour Metro supermarket. I wouldn't call it sketchy, maybe just shabby in an aesthetic sense.

ThirdEdition
Mar 20, 2010, 5:30 AM
:previous: In that the rental units arent very nice?

niwell
Mar 20, 2010, 6:56 AM
I used to live in a condo on Ambleside Dr near Lincoln Fields. It's an OK area for what it's worth. Not much going on but all the amenities are within walking distance. The LCBO is a bit far being on Carling.

It was a bit of a bitch for me wanting to drink downtown every weekend but if that's not an issue it's ok. The pizza place in the plaza at the corner of Richmond and Ambleside is amazing.

WadiRum
Mar 20, 2010, 2:17 PM
I am renting in a Minto building, 1755 Riverside Drive, K1G 3T6. This location is perfect; the transit bus station is basically in front of the building so in the winter I jump in the bus and go to the Rideau centre for shopping with no worries that it is too cold :) . I have busses every minute and the bus station has an elevator. It takes 10 minutes to the ByMarket but at the same time I can get to the airport in 25 min by bus, direct line (97). The area is open and with the Rideau river and the Riverside park in front. The view I have is absolutely perfect. And, I do not have a car. I use public transportation and rent occasionally the car.

Minto has two buildings in this area. There are three more building for renting. I like the location better than the ones downtown because it is perfectly connected through the transit, close to the Rideau Centre and By Market area but at the same time it has green space, the park and the river.

For the one bedroom I pay $1000. The building is really nice, modern, renovated a few years ago, with gym and pool and most important it is kept spotless. :yes:

jcollins
Mar 20, 2010, 2:57 PM
Sure sounds like an ad for Minto haha.

Joking aside, I know the building you're talking about, its nice, but for what the units are, they're too expensive. They want closer to 1150 for a one bedroom now.

Riverside seems like it has even fewer amenities in the direct vicinity than Lincoln Fields does.

AuxTown
Mar 21, 2010, 2:45 AM
I lived in the Minto/Vertica highrises on Riverside for a few years and they're definately a good deal considering their proximity to downtown/UofO/recreational paths/hospitals. The only problem is that you are close to everything but not really close to anything. I would suggest to your friend that, if she enjoys urban living and vibrant neighbourhoods, she should pay the premium to live in the neighbourhood of her choice. It goes a long way for quality of life to wake up every morning in a place you want to be. She might think that Westboro is close to Lincoln Fields, but once life sets in and things get busy, I'll bet it will get harder and harder to leave her immediate surroundings on evenings/weekends when all the necessities of life are right on Carling. This is all just my opinion, but I'm loving living in Centretown now and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

jcollins
Mar 21, 2010, 4:20 AM
You thought they were a good deal on Riverside? I was shocked when I heard some of them were well over $1100 for a one bedroom. Maybe prices in that area have gone up a lot. You're still probably 10, maybe 15 mins to downtown?

She doesn't really want to live in the urban/core area (I don't know why either hah). She's from a small town so doesn't want to be thrust into something huge, she'd rather have something a bit quieter, and have a little more space, but still have access to the core/busyness when she wants.

Do you really think that Westboro and Lincoln Fields are far, only a few minutes on the transit way. Or did you just mean it's easy to stick to your immediate surroundings?

AuxTown
Mar 21, 2010, 3:25 PM
I was paying $1020 for a 2-bedroom over 1000 square feet! That is unheard of elsewhere in the city. I'll bet prices have gone up over the past couple years, but there are still deals to be had.

Do you really think that Westboro and Lincoln Fields are far, only a few minutes on the transit way. Or did you just mean it's easy to stick to your immediate surroundings?

Exactly. She should have a look at some of the older buildings in Westboro. It's a quiet enough community (everything shuts down at 5pm) and she wouldn't be paying that much more than Lincoln Fields to live in a much nicer neighbourhood. My brother used to live in the tall building accross from Westboro Station and, though it wasn't the best building ever, it did the job and was a pretty good spot (in Westboro, right on the Transitway, adjacent to the river).

jcollins
Mar 21, 2010, 3:51 PM
I was paying $1020 for a 2-bedroom over 1000 square feet! That is unheard of elsewhere in the city. I'll bet prices have gone up over the past couple years, but there are still deals to be had.

Wow, thats a fantastic price. She'd called about a unit in the 1755 Riverside building that WadiRum mentioned above and for a 650 sq ft one bedroom unit it was $1191. That's obscene. Granted, it's the most expensive (likely) building on that strip, but they're all comparable. After that, I think that's what led her to look elsewhere, and ended up asking about L.F. where she can get a similar unit for like 850-900.

Exactly. She should have a look at some of the older buildings in Westboro. It's a quiet enough community (everything shuts down at 5pm) and she wouldn't be paying that much more than Lincoln Fields to live in a much nicer neighbourhood. My brother used to live in the tall building accross from Westboro Station and, though it wasn't the best building ever, it did the job and was a pretty good spot (in Westboro, right on the Transitway, adjacent to the river).

Thanks for the tip. I think I know the building you're talking about, I believe my old room mate lived there.

TransitZilla
Mar 21, 2010, 4:36 PM
I lived for a couple of years at the Gilboa Place apartments at Uplands Dr/Paul Anka Dr. According to the website, 1-bedroom apts are going for $850/month these days. (http://www.districtrealty.com/search.aspx?view=property&id=94)

It's certainly not the fanciest place nor the most central location, but I never had any issues with crime, and the bus service is good- direct and frequent service downtown on the 87.

The neighbourhood is suburban, but there are a lot of ameneties- there is a shopping mall just around the corner (with a Metro, Shoppers, Rogers, Subway, and a really good Chinese place). There is also a large park and community centre nearby. All in all, I think it is one of the more successful recent suburban neighbourhoods in Ottawa. Things should get even better in the next couple of years with the pedestrian/cycling bridge over the Airport Parkway that will make it easier to get to South Keys and the Greenboro library.

It's worth considering, especially if price is a factor.

Kitchissippi
Mar 21, 2010, 6:41 PM
My brother used to live in the tall building accross from Westboro Station and, though it wasn't the best building ever, it did the job and was a pretty good spot (in Westboro, right on the Transitway, adjacent to the river).

Don't you mean Dominion station? Westboro station is farther from the river

jcollins
Mar 21, 2010, 7:23 PM
I lived for a couple of years at the Gilboa Place apartments at Uplands Dr/Paul Anka Dr. According to the website, 1-bedroom apts are going for $850/month these days. (http://www.districtrealty.com/search.aspx?view=property&id=94)

It's certainly not the fanciest place nor the most central location, but I never had any issues with crime, and the bus service is good- direct and frequent service downtown on the 87.

The neighbourhood is suburban, but there are a lot of ameneties- there is a shopping mall just around the corner (with a Metro, Shoppers, Rogers, Subway, and a really good Chinese place). There is also a large park and community centre nearby. All in all, I think it is one of the more successful recent suburban neighbourhoods in Ottawa. Things should get even better in the next couple of years with the pedestrian/cycling bridge over the Airport Parkway that will make it easier to get to South Keys and the Greenboro library.

It's worth considering, especially if price is a factor.

Thanks for the suggestion. How was District Reality as a property manager? I don't know much about them.

They have a property in LF - http://www.districtrealty.com/apartment-rentals/property-listings.aspx?view=property&id=164

jcollins
Mar 21, 2010, 7:24 PM
Don't you mean Dominion station? Westboro station is farther from the river

I guessed he was talking about Westboro Station the development.

AuxTown
Mar 21, 2010, 8:21 PM
I guessed he was talking about Westboro Station the development.

Yes, sorry, Westboro Station the condo....phase 2 currently under construction. :)

jcollins
Mar 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
Yes, sorry, Westboro Station the condo....phase 2 currently under construction. :)

Not sure if you remember, but was it 465 Richmond?

TransitZilla
Mar 22, 2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. How was District Reality as a property manager? I don't know much about them.

I thought they were good- there was a rental agent in the office Monday-Saturday and they were responsive whenever I had an issue... there was also a live-in super in the building who was very helpful the time I lost my keys. :)

jcollins
Mar 22, 2010, 1:40 AM
The rents in Lincoln Fields are really affordable. Access to transit is as good as it gets, and there is a 24 hour Metro supermarket. I wouldn't call it sketchy, maybe just shabby in an aesthetic sense.

Do you mean the entire area being shabby or just poorly designed buildings? Or the actual apartment units themselves.

The transit and the Metro are big pluses for her. Anything else nearby? Good or bad?

jcollins
Mar 22, 2010, 1:41 AM
I thought they were good- there was a rental agent in the office Monday-Saturday and they were responsive whenever I had an issue... there was also a live-in super in the building who was very helpful the time I lost my keys. :)

Awesome! Thanks. That building on Wentworth might be an option. It looks nicer than some.

Kitchissippi
Mar 22, 2010, 2:38 AM
Do you mean the entire area being shabby or just poorly designed buildings? Or the actual apartment units themselves.

The transit and the Metro are big pluses for her. Anything else nearby? Good or bad?

I just meant that Lincoln Heights in general doesn't have much in terms of visual appeal. It does have a lot going for it a short walk or bike ride away, like Britannia Beach, or the nature walk into the wetlands at Mud Lake. Lots of every type of convenient fast food from Wendy's to a vietnamese pho place, and of course the ubiquitous Shoppers Drug Mart. For a student or someone starting out, it is a good place, considering 1 bedroom apartments go for around $825

jcollins
Mar 23, 2010, 2:21 AM
Ya thats the impression I got about L.F., while it's nothing spectacular, the surrounding areas are what would make it appealing. The price helps too. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't helping her find a place she'd later regret or find out the area is terrible

WadiRum
Apr 9, 2010, 1:52 AM
Hope my answer is not out of date. I did not get to check the forum lately.
It is true that I am living in the Minto building for 5 years now. This explains the price I pay for the one bedroom, which is the largest one of all the one bedrooms they have. We are two people with two salaries so the rent for is reasonable.
Besides Minto there are two or three other buildings for rent in the area. I have no idea though what are their addresses. If your friend is still looking for an apartment she could simply come by. From the Rideau centre or downtown take any of the 87, 97, 98, 82 busses and get off at Smyth bus station.

jcollins
Apr 9, 2010, 2:16 AM
I appreciate the advice WadiRum, I think she's planning on being west of downtown though. Lincoln Fields is looking more and more like a reality.

There are some good property management companies there that I know of off the top of my head. District Reality, Paramount Apartments, Homestead Properties are all there. Good/Bad experiences?

RTWAP
Apr 9, 2010, 4:31 AM
I appreciate the advice WadiRum, I think she's planning on being west of downtown though. Lincoln Fields is looking more and more like a reality.

There are some good property management companies there that I know of off the top of my head. District Reality, Paramount Apartments, Homestead Properties are all there. Good/Bad experiences?

I rented from Homestead for three years. They were good.

c_speed3108
Apr 9, 2010, 1:21 PM
I rented from Homestead for three years. They were good.

Homestead is a pretty decent outfit. I have a relative that rents from them in Kingston. I don't think they are the cheapest by any means, but I find with apartments in Ottawa there are few deals, it is really a you get what you pay for system.

jcollins
Apr 10, 2010, 1:56 AM
Any thing about District Reality. Someone mentioned them on here before I think. They have a place my friend likes and is planning on checking out (525 Wentworth). My only concern would be that it looks like it had (has?) bugs a couple years ago. It was owned by Transglobe then, not sure if a change of ownership would get the place cleaned up though.