PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Roads

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

monocle
Oct 13, 2011, 2:33 PM
I saw Snow Route signs on 11 Ave SE (Above Max Bell Centre). The street is a bus route. Are all bus routes to become snow routes?

EDIT because I can google, too!:
From http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Pages/Road-Maintenance/Snow-and-ice-control/Snow-Route-parking-bans.aspx:

"Snow Routes will be located on most priority 1 and 2 plowing routes, which include expressways, most major roads and bus routes. Snow Routes will be identified by signs containing a blue snowflake icon installed on impacted streets. Some exemptions have been made on priority routes."

Innersoul1
Oct 13, 2011, 2:57 PM
Couple of quick questions about the Snow Route. I apologize if this question has been answered previously.

I am really hoping that the city is going to put more signs up (I know that this comes at quite a cost). On my street for example which is about 250 metres long, there is a sign at the beginning of the street and one at the end. Given their size I would imagine that a lot of people will be caught off gaurd.

Secondly, are the snow routes just snow clearing, as in snow ploughed to side, or actually removed via combine and dump-truck. I am assuming that it is the former, or we would have a serious snow mountain :haha:

I stand corrected. It seems that what I wrote of above is the standard for suburban areas. The inner-city had many more signs. On almost every second light standard.

kw5150
Oct 13, 2011, 4:56 PM
I drove through the new 10th ave and 14th St SW intersection last night! I can really see that street starting to fill in soon or at least become more active with coffee shops, restaurants etc...... :banana:

It is actually one of the longest urban 2 way streets that we have in the downtwn area now!

DoubleK
Oct 14, 2011, 4:41 PM
AT is holding an information session on the 22x/McLeod Trail interchange on Weds, October 26th from 5 to 8 pm at Bishop O'Byrne High school in Shawnessy. There are signs posted in the SW.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 17, 2011, 3:04 PM
Video on the opening of 96th Ave/ 60th Street (http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2011/10/opening-of-96-avenue-ne-from-60-street.html) from the City's website.

Mazrim
Oct 17, 2011, 5:02 PM
Video on the opening of 96th Ave/ 60th Street (http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2011/10/opening-of-96-avenue-ne-from-60-street.html) from the City's website.

Nice to see them doing videos for this stuff, but man, following all the street numbers when they describe all the intersection work was tough. :haha: If they didn't bounce around the area so much in the video it might have been easier.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 17, 2011, 5:21 PM
Nice to see them doing videos for this stuff, but man, following all the street numbers when they describe all the intersection work was tough. :haha: If they didn't bounce around the area so much in the video it might have been easier.

It's interesting that of the three streets talked about in the part you mention, 68th Street will eventually be completely removed, and 60th Street and 96th Ave both will likely have new names in the future.

I'm assuming that once 96th Ave connects all the way through to Airport Trail, they will give it one name only (Airport Trail)

60th Street gets renamed after one of the communities north of Saddleridge, I believe.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 17, 2011, 5:34 PM
dp.

tmjr
Oct 19, 2011, 6:03 PM
Project Calgary: Love 'em or hate 'em, roundabouts are having profound effect on traffic (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Project+Calgary+Love+hate+roundabouts+having+profound+effect+traffic/5570202/story.html) (Calgary Herald)

Mazrim
Oct 19, 2011, 7:20 PM
Project Calgary: Love 'em or hate 'em, roundabouts are having profound effect on traffic (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Project+Calgary+Love+hate+roundabouts+having+profound+effect+traffic/5570202/story.html) (Calgary Herald)

Fixed the link for you.

Stang
Oct 19, 2011, 7:53 PM
^ Against my own best advice, I drifted down into the comments section. And yes, someone really did equate roundabouts to social engineering. Yikes.

Mazrim
Oct 19, 2011, 7:57 PM
^ Against my own best advice, I drifted down into the comments section. And yes, someone really did equate roundabouts to social engineering. Yikes.

My favorite comment is the one where someone suggests they change the rules of roundabouts for the McKenzie Towne one, so that the left hand lane must exit at the next exit (you know, like the right lane does!) :haha:

tmjr
Oct 19, 2011, 8:56 PM
Fixed the link for you.

Whoops! Fixed now. Thanks! :D

5seconds
Oct 19, 2011, 8:59 PM
Those comment sections are the worst. Every time I think I'm done with them, though, I get sucked right back into them.

The roundabout(s) in Lakeview (and more importantly, the overpass) have helped traffic in that area so much. 37th street is totally transformed there.

There were more than a few people who couldn't get their heads around them at first (including one old guy driving the wrong way around the north-side one) but now you don't see any real problems.

kw5150
Oct 19, 2011, 9:32 PM
:previous::previous:

One comment refers to the article being misleading because it was an interchange that resolved the problems not the traffic circles.......but, it is an internchange WITH trafic circles and works very well because of that. I would like to see this style of interchange more common in the city.

People are SO crazy in North America. Grow a brain and learn how to use traffic circles! In my opinion, the best location for a new circle to replace an existing intersection is Elbow Drive and Riverbend.

Ramsayfarian
Oct 19, 2011, 9:51 PM
My favorite comment is the one where someone suggests they change the rules of roundabouts for the McKenzie Towne one, so that the left hand lane must exit at the next exit (you know, like the right lane does!) :haha:

I think you've misread that comment. They were referring to the outside lane. If I recall my driver's ed. One is allowed to go half way around from the outside lane or two exits.

lubicon
Oct 19, 2011, 10:43 PM
My hometown converted a 5 way intersection with lights into a roundabout with considerable success and very few problems if what I have read can be believed. There's no reason simple roundabouts should cause so much confusion in Calgary.

5seconds
Oct 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
:previous::previous:

One comment refers to the article being misleading because it was an interchange that resolved the problems not the traffic circles.......but, it is an internchange WITH trafic circles and works very well because of that. I would like to see this style of interchange more common in the city.

I know, that guy has a history of misrepresenting 'facts' about road issues in the SW. He references some non-existent problems with 37th street and declares roundabouts a failure on major roads. Despite 37th not a major road, that interchange has made traffic *so* much better on 37th street it's hard to believe that anyone would think it didn't help, at all. Boggles the mind.

Can't say how much it has helped Glenmore, since there is still Highway 8 to back it up, but I have to imagine it's helping E-W traffic to some degree.

fusili
Oct 19, 2011, 10:51 PM
If you drive in Spain, it is hard to find an intersection that is not a roundabout. They are pure awesome if people know how to use them.

tmjr
Oct 20, 2011, 12:15 AM
If you drive in Spain, it is hard to find an intersection that is not a roundabout. They are pure awesome if people know how to use them.

Likewise London England. They even have 'tiny' ones that are simply a marking on the road where 'roundabout' rules are supposed to apply. People there are simply familiar with what to do, and so no confusion (beyond the standard problem of bad drivers...)

Once you are used to using them, IMO its hard to imagine NOT preferring them to a standard traffic light-controlled intersection.

Which makes me wonder: under what circumstances are roundabouts NOT a good idea? I imagine they work best when there is a relatively even flow from all directions...

On that point, how does one go about 'agitating' to replace the traffic-controlled side intersections at the Stoney interchange for Scenic Acres/Tuscany? :D

MichaelS
Oct 20, 2011, 3:50 AM
Roundabouts work until a certain volume of traffic goes through them, at which point a signalized intersection proves more efficient at moving traffic. I canèt remember what the volume is, but it is pretty high. Most intersections in neighbourhoods could probably be roundabouts and operate just fine.

freeweed
Oct 20, 2011, 5:10 AM
Roundabouts work until a certain volume of traffic goes through them, at which point a signalized intersection proves more efficient at moving traffic. I canèt remember what the volume is, but it is pretty high. Most intersections in neighbourhoods could probably be roundabouts and operate just fine.

Personally, I think roundabouts are great replacements for 4-way stops. Signalized intersections, depends on a lot of factors - but damn near every single 4-way should be replaced by a roundabout.

DoubleK
Oct 20, 2011, 3:34 PM
Personally, I think roundabouts are great replacements for 4-way stops.- but damn near every single 4-way should be replaced by a roundabout.

QFT... They work especially well when the direction of traffic is heading the same way at certain points of the day. Such as neighbourhoods as you pointed out. Everyone leaving in the morning and coming home after work.

AB Born
Oct 21, 2011, 5:42 AM
I believe the city changed the traffic light timing on 6th and 9th Ave through downtown. Outside rush hour I notice one light will change red will the others are still green. Reminds me of trying to drive down Portgage Ave in Winnipeg. I hope they change it back however I noticed one of those "new" signs at one of the intersections on 6th Ave by the BMO tower talking about the synchronization change.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 21, 2011, 2:41 PM
Drove by both ends of the Maties Trail extension last night, The barriers blocking the way have been changed from concrete to easily movable wooden ones. However, no lines have been painted yet. It's still hard to see if all of the middle section is complete enough to be ready for line painting.

There's no traffic light installed at 80th/Metis yet either, but I don't know if there will be one before it opens. To me, it would make sense to have one at that point.

Ferreth
Oct 23, 2011, 9:07 PM
For those of you who travel the near NE, you'll be happy to hear that St Georges Drive past the zoo is open again. Too bad the city couldn't have upgraded the last 500m of road to connect it to 8th Ave; it switches from nice 3 lane road to gravel just past the new Science Centre.

lineman
Oct 23, 2011, 11:23 PM
Drove down Metis yesterday to meet up with a coworker. It's completely paved and ready for line paintings. The remaining streetlight circuits were connected and are waiting for transformers.

DoubleK
Oct 24, 2011, 4:50 PM
Took Deerfoot into work this morning. Looks like they are wrapping up construction on the bridge. Would not be surprised to see all NB lanes open by the end of the week.

4 months of suffering almost over!!!

freeweed
Oct 24, 2011, 5:36 PM
I believe the city changed the traffic light timing on 6th and 9th Ave through downtown. Outside rush hour I notice one light will change red will the others are still green. Reminds me of trying to drive down Portgage Ave in Winnipeg. I hope they change it back however I noticed one of those "new" signs at one of the intersections on 6th Ave by the BMO tower talking about the synchronization change.

Unless it's been recent (past 2 weeks), 6th and 9th are still well synchronized outside of rush hour. As are 4th and 5th... usually. It kinda depends on traffic around you on those, I find.

Portage Ave being 2 way is what causes it. It's very easy to synchronize lights on a 1 way, but synchronizing traffic for both directions is very difficult. Especially with so many cross streets that are 1 ways that they also try to synchronize. The biggest problem with Portage is that it's well over capacity much of the time - and for whatever reason, buses still clog things up much worse in Winnipeg than they do in Calgary (I've never really figured out why, it's just something I notice all the time).

You Need A Thneed
Oct 24, 2011, 6:37 PM
Took Deerfoot into work this morning. Looks like they are wrapping up construction on the bridge. Would not be surprised to see all NB lanes open by the end of the week.

4 months of suffering almost over!!!

According to the radio, it will be completely open tomorrow morning.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 25, 2011, 2:19 AM
Metis Trail will open Oct 29. According to a message board near the site.

YYCguys
Oct 25, 2011, 4:09 AM
Can you please refresh my memory: will Metis Trail be open on Oct 29th all the way from CrossIron to McKnight?

You Need A Thneed
Oct 25, 2011, 3:36 PM
Can you please refresh my memory: will Metis Trail be open on Oct 29th all the way from CrossIron to McKnight?

Yes. Except it's not called Metis Trail north of the city limit.

It will be one continuous road from HWY 566 all the way down to 50th Ave SE though.

5seconds
Oct 25, 2011, 4:16 PM
The lanes and crosswalks were painted on the 4th street SE underpass. The median was also almost totally paved. It looks essentially finished.

YYCguys
Oct 25, 2011, 4:20 PM
Oh yes, the city that goes out of it's way to confuse tourists: Metis Trail/36th Street; Memorial Dr/Parkdale Blvd/3 Ave/Bowness Rd; Bow Trail/9 Ave/17 Ave SE; just to name a few.

Cage
Oct 25, 2011, 4:47 PM
hey YYC Guy / Alex Trebek

Can I take driver confusion for $500.

What is Barlow Trail in three separate sections?

YYCguys
Oct 25, 2011, 5:44 PM
Haha @ Cage!

Yes Barlow Trail stopping and starting is another confusing roadway. AFAIK, I don't think there are any addresses fronting onto Barlow north of the Airport so perhaps a name change would be relatively inexpensive and simple to do. What about the southernmost leg of Barlow?

BTW, so I'm not confused with another forumer with a very similar name, I'm YYCguyS.

The Chemist
Oct 25, 2011, 10:35 PM
Oh yes, the city that goes out of it's way to confuse tourists: Metis Trail/36th Street; Memorial Dr/Parkdale Blvd/3 Ave/Bowness Rd; Bow Trail/9 Ave/17 Ave SE; just to name a few.

Pretty common in other cities too. Dublin is pretty bad for that, and so is Shanghai.

Mazrim
Oct 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
I haven't heard any indications yet that Barlow will be renamed North of the airport.

Speaking of Barlow, it looks like they will be upgrading the intersection of Barlow Trail and Airport Road soon, as there are now signs up in the area and a collection of cones and barriers are stacked up on the side of the road. This will be for the new dual right turn into the Airport.

YYCguys
Oct 28, 2011, 11:44 PM
I would like to report that I used the newly paved 36th Street NE between Country Hills Blvd south to the Rotary Challenger Park even though there are some annoyances about that link. The traffic at the 36th/CHB intersection is a cluster#$%*! Cars lined up in all 3 directions for as far as the eye can see for both morning and afternoon trips for 3 days in a row! I was using it as an alternative to get from Airdrie to the Westjet hanger (as opposed to the parking lot that exists at Deerfoot/McKnight). I really wish a different solution could have been found to move traffic in the airport area. I don't think that 36th Street NE was meant for such heavy usage, as was that section of CHB either. For me to get to the Westjet hanger from Airdrie, there will NEVER be a better alternative unless I go a bit farther out of my way to use Metis to McKnight and come in from the east (but I don't know what the traffic is like on that stretch either).

You Need A Thneed
Oct 29, 2011, 4:08 AM
I would like to report that I used the newly paved 36th Street NE between Country Hills Blvd south to the Rotary Challenger Park even though there are some annoyances about that link. The traffic at the 36th/CHB intersection is a cluster#$%*! Cars lined up in all 3 directions for as far as the eye can see for both morning and afternoon trips for 3 days in a row! I was using it as an alternative to get from Airdrie to the Westjet hanger (as opposed to the parking lot that exists at Deerfoot/McKnight). I really wish a different solution could have been found to move traffic in the airport area. I don't think that 36th Street NE was meant for such heavy usage, as was that section of CHB either. For me to get to the Westjet hanger from Airdrie, there will NEVER be a better alternative unless I go a bit farther out of my way to use Metis to McKnight and come in from the east (but I don't know what the traffic is like on that stretch either).

The Metis extension opens tomorrow. That should help thing a lot. Stoney-Metis-McKnight-Barlow should work pretty well.

CHB is being widened already to be able to handle the traffic. To those who may have been against the tunnel, if CHB can't handle the traffic when the area is 10% built out, how is it possibly going to handle the traffic when the area is completely built out, including a high volume of truck traffic?

Mazrim
Oct 29, 2011, 7:59 PM
To those who may have been against the tunnel, if CHB can't handle the traffic when the area is 10% built out, how is it possibly going to handle the traffic when the area is completely built out, including a high volume of truck traffic?

Hey now, we can't be having any of this forward-thinking nonsense. :rolleyes:

freeweed
Oct 30, 2011, 3:57 PM
Man, the cold sure is hitting our roads hard already. Anyone else noticing just how badly manholes are protruding? I'm noticing this all over the city and we're barely into the free-thaw cycle yet. I can't imagine how wrecked our roads are going to be by February.

Why is the winter all of a sudden having such an impact? Did road construction go to complete shit over the past few years or what?

MalcolmTucker
Oct 30, 2011, 5:43 PM
Ground might be wetter than usual?

freeweed
Oct 31, 2011, 4:21 AM
Ground might be wetter than usual?

Could be, although I don't recall it being an unusual season. It's just weird. I've even noticed many roads being bumpier than usual. Like the joints in the asphalt are humped up.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 31, 2011, 5:05 PM
With the recent openings of both Metis and 60th St up in the NE, it's painfully obvious what stage the negotiations with Oscar Fech are at, for his land that is required for twinning Metis Trail, Airport Trail, and 60th Ave.

At the intersection of 88th Ave and 60th Street, there's a really sharp right turn (SB to WB) that is how it is because the city obviously couldn't buy up even the smallest corner of land to build a lane with a proper radius.

Along Metis, the city has had to build a guardrail along an extended section so that the would not have to adjust the grading on Fech's land at all - some due to Metis being significantly above the grade of the land just beside, and some due to Metis being significantly below the land just beside.

Bigtime
Oct 31, 2011, 5:55 PM
4th Street underpass opening tomorrow:

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/local/article/1011353--East-Village-connector-to-open

Calgarian
Oct 31, 2011, 6:09 PM
I wonder if this will help ease congestion after Flames games and big events at the Dome.

Bigtime
Oct 31, 2011, 6:12 PM
I guess it all comes down to how the lights are timed, but I think it will still help.

This underpass would have been awesome for me if I was still living at arriVa, I think it would have taken about 10 minutes off my commute home.

5seconds
Oct 31, 2011, 6:14 PM

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/local/article/1011353--East-Village-connector-to-open

I was wondering when it would open. I went by it this morning, and everything looked finished. The median is fully paved, the lights were all on, road marking done. It's looking really nice.

hulkrogan
Oct 31, 2011, 6:55 PM
I think they changed some light timings for this over the weekend. Idiots on 3st E heading north were continually blocking the 5th Ave/3st E intersection and it was ruining traffic heading out of downtown.

freeweed
Oct 31, 2011, 7:42 PM
I wonder if this will help ease congestion after Flames games and big events at the Dome.

It absolutely will. Especially if they continue to have police directing traffic - the 'Dome parking lots could essentially empty out in about 15 minutes if everyone just heads straight north. Right now, there's too much turning involved to get anywhere - and turns are always slower.

This will transform the EV. Instead of a sleepy backwater corner of Calgary, it will see constant traffic most nights now. Just imagine once people actually start moving in.

DoubleK
Oct 31, 2011, 7:54 PM

It's going to make a huge difference! They should have police directing traffic away from the 'dome regardless of direction people want to go. Take a page from the Americans. Get out and then get to where you are going to.

Ramsayfarian
Oct 31, 2011, 10:48 PM

Not sure if this will ease up on hockey traffic in my neighbourhood, but this is going to make getting out of Ramsay and heading points NW a lot easier. Right now it can be a pain in the butt with the tracks on 9th & 8st.

Calgarian
Nov 1, 2011, 7:39 PM
I was thinking it would help for sure, but you never know with how the sheeple in this city drive...

Bigtime
Nov 1, 2011, 7:42 PM
They are doing the official opening for the underpass right now.

Ramsayfarian
Nov 1, 2011, 9:37 PM
I hope that they've decided to cover up those white lighting panels with some type of protective screen. When I walked through there a couple of weeks ago, they weren't covered and looked very easy to kick in.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6047/6245144423_e6fe28e933_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/coomber/6245144423/)
Over-Under.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/coomber/6245144423/) by D-2-C (http://www.flickr.com/people/coomber/), on Flickr

freeweed
Nov 2, 2011, 3:21 PM
Took the new underpass after the game last night. Pretty damned cool, although the lighting is a bit intense and distracting. I can see a few accidents coming.

The light timing from the EV through downtown (heading west in my case) is horrendous. I think it might actually be faster to take 11th Ave for a while, and cut over to 6th Ave on McLeod or something.

hulkrogan
Nov 2, 2011, 4:50 PM
^Agreed. It was fantastic for getting to the game, likely slower than just taking 10th to Mcleod to 3rd St E to get home.

You Need A Thneed
Nov 8, 2011, 4:23 PM
November Airport Trail Tunnel update. (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Documents/Road-projects/Airport-Tunnel-Update-November2011.pdf)

You Need A Thneed
Nov 16, 2011, 6:00 AM
The 50 zone for construction has finally been removed after 3 years and probably 6 out of 7 years. People are still slowing down by habit.

Further north, the newly opened section of Metis is posted at 60 for unknown reasons. There's absolutely no reason for that road to be posted less than 80. Could easily be 90.

You Need A Thneed
Nov 16, 2011, 6:02 AM
Also, there's a crawler crane on the airport tunnel site now. I believe they there will eventually be two.

A concrete pump was also sticking up in view from 36th street, so some concrete work must have started.

Koolfire
Nov 16, 2011, 6:49 AM
The 50 zone for construction has finally been removed after 3 years and probably 6 out of 7 years. People are still slowing down by habit.

Where? Metis Trail between 80th and McKnight?

You Need A Thneed
Nov 16, 2011, 7:56 PM
Where? Metis Trail between 80th and McKnight?

Between 64th and McKnight.

Innersoul1
Nov 16, 2011, 8:11 PM
Is it just me or is there already a tonne of salt on the roads?

freeweed
Nov 17, 2011, 2:37 AM
Is it just me or is there already a tonne of salt on the roads?

I'm definitely noticing a way heavy layer of something, considering the time of year and how little snow we've had. It looks weird though, almost like powdered paint. I don't recall salt looking like this, it's all smeared out weirdly.

Is the city trying some new formulation this year?

mersar
Nov 17, 2011, 7:59 PM
I'm definitely noticing a way heavy layer of something, considering the time of year and how little snow we've had. It looks weird though, almost like powdered paint. I don't recall salt looking like this, it's all smeared out weirdly.

Is the city trying some new formulation this year?

Its de-icer. They are using the system again that they spray a coat over all major routes (priority 1 plus hills) before a snow storm to prevent it from icing initially. They sprayed last weekend which is why the roads looked wet before it even stormed then.

hulkrogan
Nov 17, 2011, 9:03 PM
Its de-icer. They are using the system again that they spray a coat over all major routes (priority 1 plus hills) before a snow storm to prevent it from icing initially. They sprayed last weekend which is why the roads looked wet before it even stormed then.

That's hilarious. That was the night before I put my winter tires on and I was driving way more cautiously because the roads were wet (with de-icer apparently) and it was cold, so I was worried about ice forming. Hah.

freeweed
Nov 18, 2011, 3:11 PM
Pretty impressed with this de-icer then. This morning could have been a nightmare but the roads looked pretty damn good for this temperature.

kw5150
Nov 18, 2011, 4:39 PM
They are building a new interchange at Nose Hill and Stoney Trail. What a waste of MY taxpayers dollars!!!!! Stoney trail just dead ends at the Trans Canada and doesn't go anywhere!!!

Just Kidding, some friday humour!

Innersoul1
Nov 18, 2011, 8:11 PM

Pretty impressed with this de-icer then. This morning could have been a nightmare but the roads looked pretty damn good for this temperature.

Must admit that it was very effective. The roads were quite good this morning!

DizzyEdge
Nov 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Must admit that it was very effective. The roads were quite good this morning!

Know what I noticed the most?

When it snows and roads are crap, front page article on the Herald website.

When it snows and for once everything is great. Silence.

kw5150
Nov 18, 2011, 11:34 PM

No doubt!! Time for some positive news.

Mazrim
Nov 19, 2011, 4:58 PM

Haha, so true. That being said, disaster always makes for better headlines, so that's why they always do it that way.

AB Born
Nov 24, 2011, 6:16 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6393980379_798072a429_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanw-ca/6393980379/)
LED Street Light testing in Brentwood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanw-ca/6393980379/) by JordanW.ca (http://www.flickr.com/people/jordanw-ca/), on Flickr

The City is trying out a few different types of LED street lights in Brentwood.
More info here. (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Pages/Traffic/Traffic-signals-and-streetlights/Energy-Efficient-LED-Lighting-Project.aspx)

freeweed
Nov 24, 2011, 6:36 PM
I wonder if these LED lights will experience the same problems our buildings seem to have with them.

kw5150
Nov 24, 2011, 6:45 PM
I wonder if these LED lights will experience the same problems our buildings seem to have with them.

Hopefully, they are good quality like the ones used all over the U of C recently; such a great quality of light.

craner
Nov 25, 2011, 6:28 AM
Looks like great lighting - super for nightime street hockey.

AB Born
Nov 26, 2011, 5:20 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6403520271_cfb92cdb06_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanw-ca/6403520271/)
Metis Trail Extension (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanw-ca/6403520271/) by JordanW.ca (http://www.flickr.com/people/jordanw-ca/), on Flickr

kw5150
Nov 29, 2011, 7:00 PM
ALERT:

photo radar around the sarcee / 17th ave SW interchange. Camera going off like paparazzi........

DoubleK
Nov 29, 2011, 8:09 PM
I had the misfortune of having to fly out of YYC during last Tuesday's windstorm. I could not believe the chaos that was Airport Trail.

Is that really the state Airport Trail will be left in for the duration of the winter shutdown?

Someone should get fired if that's the case.

Innersoul1
Nov 29, 2011, 8:53 PM
Tonight/tomorrow should be a real acid test for the road crews. With a heavy snofall warning in effect and the chance of upwards of 10cm of snow we will see how the roads will function with the new de-icing fluid. Additionally, the "Snow Removal Routes" will be in affect it will be interesting to see if this is a positve.

kw5150
Nov 29, 2011, 9:07 PM
Tonight/tomorrow should be a real acid test for the road crews. With a heavy snofall warning in effect and the chance of upwards of 10cm of snow we will see how the roads will function with the new de-icing fluid. Additionally, the "Snow Removal Routes" will be in affect it will be interesting to see if this is a positve.

The 5cm rule and no parking is ridiculous still. They should snow clearing in dense urban areas at odd streets one day and even streets the next day......

5cm....really? Why not 10 or 15? I will find a way to cope either way but there needs to be more talk around this issue.

5seconds
Nov 29, 2011, 9:14 PM
Just got this from my Alderman

Re: Snow event update

Well, it looks like we might have our first significant snowfall of the year tonight and tomorrow morning, which means that the City will likely declare Calgary’s first “snow event,” and the snow-route parking bans will come into effect.

I thought it might be useful to provide everyone a quick reminder of how this process will work, but first I also wanted to let you know that you can sign up for email alerts at Calgary.ca/snow. You can also find out if a snow event has been declared by calling 311 or tuning in to local news broadcasts.

Here is a quick recap of what a “snow event” means for you:

· When a snowfall of 5cm or more is forecast, the city will declare and publicize a “snow event”

· Parking will be banned along snow routes for 72 hours after the snow stops falling - even if your street has already been plowed.

It is expected that these parking bans will allow crews to clear priority 1 and 2 routes 30% faster than in previous years, allowing residential snow control efforts to proceed in a more timely fashion.

I hope that this information is helpful, and I thank everyone in advance for their cooperation as we roll out this new system for delivering faster and more efficient snow control.

kw5150
Nov 29, 2011, 9:23 PM
:previous:

even if your street has already been plowed.

Talk about strange. This plan clearly needs more consultation.

5seconds
Nov 29, 2011, 9:25 PM
:previous:

even if your street has already been plowed.

Talk about strange. This plan clearly needs more consultation.

Yea, I thought that was strange too. I can only assume it's because it makes it easier for enforcement? I don't know.

DoubleK
Nov 29, 2011, 9:53 PM
Is there no mechanism for the City to call an end to the snow event?

Seems self evident to me...

Ramsayfarian
Nov 29, 2011, 9:59 PM
Yea, I thought that was strange too. I can only assume it's because it makes it easier for enforcement? I don't know.

I think so it can allow them to also haul away the snow if it's a huge dump.

Innersoul1
Nov 29, 2011, 10:04 PM
We should set up all those air raid sirens again and rebrand them as Snow route sirens. When they sound a parking ban is in effect.

kw5150
Nov 29, 2011, 10:05 PM
I think so it can allow them to also haul away the snow if it's a huge dump.

This whole thing is confusing, I hope the city and the reisdents finds a way to agree, otherwise this could become a huge battle with all of the angry people we have in this city.....uh oh.

Its also not a very nice "welcome to calgary" when you wake up in the morning and find your car missing because you didn't know.......

This is probably just a secret way to get the cars off the street that have been there for years and years........

kw5150
Nov 29, 2011, 10:05 PM
We should set up all those air raid sirens again and rebrand them as Snow route sirens. When they sound a parking ban is in effect.

Love it!!!! haha, except, they could play relaxing house music.......

freeweed
Nov 29, 2011, 10:09 PM

I suspect it's a "cover your ass" type of policy. First, because sometimes streets may need re-plowing (snow events can last far longer than the initial dump). Second, because people may look at the road, assume it's been plowed, then try to argue it's OK to park there. With this, the city says "sorry, but we had to actually plow it, and the rules say...".

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in practice. I was a bit shocked that a prairie city known for infrequent but occasionally heavy snowfalls had no hint of snow route system when I first moved here. But with the spotty nature of snow coverage here, what they've put in place is a little like using a hammer to swat a fly. Most of the time it's only certain routes that need this kind of treatment, while others lay almost bare. Hopefully enforcement uses some common sense.

fusili
Nov 29, 2011, 10:16 PM

Why can't this be at Louise?? :(

5seconds
Nov 29, 2011, 10:17 PM
Another update from the City for inclusion in Community Association newsletters and updates:

This winter, Calgary will implement Snow Route parking bans for the first time in our city’s history. This program will touch every community in Calgary and will impact all drivers.

The Snow Route parking ban bylaw was approved by City Council in October 2011. Since then, the program has undergone a number of adjustments in response to issues that were brought forward by aldermen and businesses groups.

The City has heard feedback from citizens and some communities concerned with the Snow Route parking bans in their areas. These concerns are being monitored closely, and will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis after we experience the first few Snow Events. This will enable drivers to adjust to the new program and will ensure The City has accurate information regarding parking impacts and driver habits.

Snow Events are declared when five centimetres or more of snow accumulates on city streets. Snow Route parking bans will be in effect for 72 hours, but may be extended or lifted early based on road conditions and the status of snow clearing operations.

The information below contains some key updates regarding the new Snow Route program:

Overnight parking bans in the downtown core and Business Revitalization Zones
• While most Snow Route parking bans will be in effect for 72 hours when a Snow Event is declared by The City, some high density business areas will only have an overnight ban to accommodate parking during regular business hours.

• Specific Snow Routes located in downtown or in business revitalization zones (BRZ) will be in effect from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. when The City declares a parking ban.

Free overnight parking in City-owned lots
• The Calgary Parking Authority will offer free overnight parking from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. in all their lots when Snow Route parking bans are in effect. Lot locations can be found on the CPA website.

Development of an interactive Snow Route map on Calgary.ca
• There is now an interactive Snow Route map on Calgary.ca that allows citizens to find Snow Route locations in their community.

• There is also a listing of Snow Route locations available on Calgary.ca/snow.

E-mail notification available on Calgary.ca
• Citizens can quickly and easily subscribe to e-mail alerts on Calgary.ca/snow.

• E-mails will be sent to inform citizens whenever a Snow Route parking ban is expected, in effect, lifted or extended. Smart phone app – with Snow Route parking ban “push” notifications

• The City of Calgary Road Conditions app will be launched in early December and is designed to help Calgarians plan their commute during winter storms. Real-time information will be provided on plow/sander locations, road conditions and traffic cameras.

• This app has the added feature of notifying citizens anytime a Snow Route parking ban has been advised, declared or lifted.

We need your support to make this program a success. You can help us make our roads safer and more driveable this winter by ensuring your car is not parked on a Snow Route during a parking ban. Become familiar with the Snow Routes in the areas where you live, work and visit. Be aware of the weather and understand that if you are parked on a Snow Route this winter and a parking ban is declared, you will have to find alternate parking.

It includes this comment: Snow Events are declared when five centimetres or more of snow accumulates on city streets. Snow Route parking bans will be in effect for 72 hours, but may be extended or lifted early based on road conditions and the status of snow clearing operations.
Which seems like it could be a problem (extending the ban and ticketing the unsuspecting)

freeweed
Nov 29, 2011, 10:21 PM
Why can't this be at Louise?? :(

Sunshine keeps getting dumped on. It's been an amazing November (with little in the city so far, too).

Calgarian
Nov 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
Sunshine keeps getting dumped on. It's been an amazing November (with little in the city so far, too).

Time to go to Sunshine I think

freeweed
Nov 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
It includes this comment: Snow Events are declared when five centimetres or more of snow accumulates on city streets. Snow Route parking bans will be in effect for 72 hours, but may be extended or lifted early based on road conditions and the status of snow clearing operations.
Which seems like it could be a problem (extending the ban and ticketing the unsuspecting)

When you live in a city with snow route parking bans, you learn pretty quick to adapt. It's part and parcel of using street parking as your own personal parking lot. But it sure will cause some growing pains.

I hadn't realized the downtown core was included in this. It's going to make for some interesting on-call shifts, when I have to have a vendor bring in parts late at night. If there's nowhere they can park... I guess this is one of the few negatives of removing surface lots - there's nowhere to park at night!

freeweed
Nov 29, 2011, 10:28 PM

Highly recommend it. By far the best opening I've seen in my short time here (5 seasons now). They actually had to delay opening the Angel chair due to too much snow. :haha:

fusili
Nov 29, 2011, 10:44 PM

Highly recommend it. By far the best opening I've seen in my short time here (5 seasons now). They actually had to delay opening the Angel chair due to too much snow. :haha:

I went to Louise last weekend and it was glorious! Hesitant to go to Sunshine because I got the Louise Card (and will get the Fernie Card too), so I don't want to pay extra.

How was the snow at Sunshine?

DoubleK
Nov 30, 2011, 3:26 PM
Roads were pretty darn good this morning!!