PDA

View Full Version : Save Kiwanis Park

dunkalunk
Apr 5, 2009, 6:56 AM
I was recently alerted to this website:

http://www.savekiwanispark.ca/

It's sad that the city of Kitchener would consider developing on this land. Yes, noone is particularly in love with the wading pool, but even abandonment and gradual naturalization would be a better outcome than what's proposed.

Please sign this petition.

waterloowarrior
Apr 5, 2009, 7:18 AM
they are proposing to develop 9.6 out of the 12.0 hectare table lands in the 51.93 hectare park.

here is the staff report (http://www.kitchener.ca/Files/Item/item15896_dts-09-014.pdf) from a meeting earlier this month. here's a link to the minutes of the meeting (http://weblink.kitchener.ca/weblink7/DocView.aspx?id=909374)

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/kiwanisminutes.jpg

the first part of the staff report outline city sites and their potential for development
the second part is a business case for the Kiwanis Park Table lands

the analysis from from part 1
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/kiwanis.jpg

waterloowarrior
Apr 5, 2009, 7:46 AM
the petition is misleading because it suggests the city is declaring the whole park surplus and sold for development

Background (Preamble):
The City of Kitchener targets Kiwanis Park to be declared "surplus land" and sold for development. Jeff Willmer, Interim Director of Planning was quoted in The Record, March 14, 2009 "The development of the sites would create jobs and generate tax revenue." Willmer goes on to say "These pieces of land really are not needed to meet a need, there is no gap in the supply of park land." Pieces of land?

This 'piece of land' is not for sale! This park, this natural haven is for treasuring, for walking, for swimming, for picknicking, for canoeing, for reading, for skiing, for kite flying, for skating, for jogging, for cycling, for birdwatching, for meditating, for playing. for fishing, for me, for you, for everyone but never, ever for sale.

Kiwanis Park is in desperate need of protection now.

Fortunately, Kiwanis Park has a friend in Councillor John Gazzola. Quoted in the same article he states "I am opposed to selling any park land. It makes no sense. You've got to look down the road 100 years from now. Once that park land is gone you are never going to get it back."

Fortunately, Kiwanis Park has a lot of friends, but the Park can't speak for itself. It needs your voice. We have created this petition as a tool to help us raise a clear and strong voice that tells the City of Kitchener that Kiwanis Park is "NOT FOR SALE!"

Please add strength to our petition and assist us to strategize by adding a comment with your signature. Thank you Friend of Kiwanis Park.

sixer
Apr 5, 2009, 11:22 AM
I have no issues with the development and completely agree with it.
Can't save all of the land, we're a growing city. You should be happy with the park you have left.

kwoldtimer
Apr 5, 2009, 1:10 PM
the petition is misleading because it suggests the city is declaring the whole park surplus and sold for development

I had the same reaction, but I suppose it wouldn't generate as much excitement to say they were opposing the possible sale of under a quarter of the site.
I am surprised that the City report seems to contemplate such low-density development. If parkland were to be sold for residential development, it should be for something denser and far more creative than single detached houses.

dunkalunk
Apr 5, 2009, 4:44 PM
:previous: My thoughts exactly, although there were mentions of LEED certification of new structures, so hopefully that will inspire some actual architecture.

And yes, the petition is somewhat misleading.

The report said something about completion of a transit loop. Personally, I don't think transit could ever be viable in this area, although many people thought the same about Eastbridge. Maybe BusPlus in the interim. We'll have to see how this area grows up.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Apr 7, 2009, 2:31 AM
I have a beef with this area of the city. When the Region was formed back in 1973, it should have been assigned to the City of Waterloo. There's 4 good reasons:

- All access points to this area are from roads within City of Waterloo jurisdiction and thus maintained by Waterloo (no Regional Roads or roads maintained by the City of Kitchener). This come's out of Waterloo taxpayers' wallets, not Kitchener's.

- Sewage is sent to the Waterloo sewage treatment plant. Although this is a Regional service, the City of Waterloo still has a big role in this facility (watermains, trunk sewers, etc.), and it's not fair.

- Waterloo North Hydro owns the hydro lines along Woolwich Street that Kitchener Wilmot Hyrdo runs electricity through to service this isolated and cut off corner of Kitchener. How much sense does this make? Again Waterloo taxpayers and utility customers pay for the majority of this.

- The large estate homes alongside the river are for the most part in Waterloo, with Kiwanis Park itself cut out for Kitchener as well as lands for the partially completed River Ridge subdivision. So boundary wise, this means that along Kiwanis Park Drive one side is in Waterloo and the other is in Kitchener...

Now I'm sure that there are servicing agreements in place, but honestly, all these points given above, does this make sense? How is this fair towards Waterloo taxpayers? :( It is issues like this that may justify amalgamation.

Afterall, maybe if Kiwanis Park was in Waterloo, a good chunk of it wouldn't be deemed as surplus and be at risk of potentially being sold to developers ;).

Brenden
Apr 7, 2009, 5:15 AM
Where is Kiwanis Park? is there anything there? baseball diamond, playground, bush, anything?

myfaceisonfire
Apr 7, 2009, 1:06 PM
I've always liked Kiwanis park, it would be a shame to see it developed. There are small, but nice trails throughout the park and woodland to the South. They're nothing spectacular but for something so close to the city you can't complain. It also has river access (to some degree) and is usually PACKED in the summer.

It seems like the area they've pegged for redevelopment is the little used Western area, at least they're not planning to develop the entire park.

scarfinv
Apr 7, 2009, 2:05 PM
Where is Kiwanis Park? is there anything there? baseball diamond, playground, bush, anything?

See http://www.kitchener.ca/visiting_kitchener/pools_kiwanis_park.htm

Brenden
Apr 7, 2009, 4:56 PM
So its a smaller version of Laurel Creek?
I guess its not so public if you have to pay to get in.

scarfinv
Apr 7, 2009, 7:09 PM
So its a smaller version of Laurel Creek?
I guess its not so public if you have to pay to get in.

Sort of.. it has a pool and snackbar, and those are the reasons it is always packed in the summer. Much nicer than your typical community pools, since the Kiwanis pool is more like a little cement lake that you wade into, and then surrounded by acres of grass, trees, etc.. People will bring their portable BBQs even and make a day of it.

Laurel Creek has no pool (you have to swim in the lake, which is often closed due to contamination (goose poop!), but it has camp grounds that Kiwanis doesn't have.

notmyfriends
Apr 8, 2009, 5:21 AM
I have a beef with this area of the city. When the Region was formed back in 1973, it should have been assigned to the City of Waterloo. There's 4 good reasons:

- All access points to this area are from roads within City of Waterloo jurisdiction and thus maintained by Waterloo (no Regional Roads or roads maintained by the City of Kitchener). This come's out of Waterloo taxpayers' wallets, not Kitchener's.

- Sewage is sent to the Waterloo sewage treatment plant. Although this is a Regional service, the City of Waterloo still has a big role in this facility (watermains, trunk sewers, etc.), and it's not fair.

- Waterloo North Hydro owns the hydro lines along Woolwich Street that Kitchener Wilmot Hyrdo runs electricity through to service this isolated and cut off corner of Kitchener. How much sense does this make? Again Waterloo taxpayers and utility customers pay for the majority of this.

- The large estate homes alongside the river are for the most part in Waterloo, with Kiwanis Park itself cut out for Kitchener as well as lands for the partially completed River Ridge subdivision. So boundary wise, this means that along Kiwanis Park Drive one side is in Waterloo and the other is in Kitchener...

Now I'm sure that there are servicing agreements in place, but honestly, all these points given above, does this make sense? How is this fair towards Waterloo taxpayers? :( It is issues like this that may justify amalgamation.

Afterall, maybe if Kiwanis Park was in Waterloo, a good chunk of it wouldn't be deemed as surplus and be at risk of potentially being sold to developers ;).

How is woolwich street up from Bridgeport any less of a main road than woolwich street from University? That's like saying people in the west end of waterloo shouldn't be using F-H to get home from the highway. Yeesh.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Apr 8, 2009, 3:41 PM
How is woolwich street up from Bridgeport any less of a main road than woolwich street from University? That's like saying people in the west end of waterloo shouldn't be using F-H to get home from the highway. Yeesh.

There’s actually a big difference here. Although it’s true that Woolwich Street up from Bridgeport is a City of Kitchener Road, once it runs into Bridle Trail and you have to turn right to head back to Kiwanis Park (where Bridle Trail becomes Woolwich Street), it is then a City of Waterloo Road which Waterloo taxpayers pay for.

Fischer-Hallman is a completely different situation. It is part of the Regional Road network, so every taxpayer in the region pays for it regardless of whether you live in Kitchener, Waterloo, North Dumfries, Wilmot, etc. Therefore, it doesn’t really matter if residents in west Waterloo are using Fischer-Hallman, residents in the Laurentian/Williamsburg neighbourhood in Kitchener, or even residents in the village of Ayr, North Dumfries Township where Fischer-Hallman has its southern terminus.

dunkalunk
Apr 8, 2009, 4:21 PM
If I were to redraw the boundary, I'd probably put it between Macville Ave and Sunbridge Crescent.

waterloowarrior
Apr 15, 2009, 12:14 AM
Group opposes park sell-off

Kitchener report suggests part of Kiwanis Park could be hived off for development
April 14, 2009
MARK BRYSON
RECORD STAFF
KITCHENER
http://news.therecord.com/News/Local/article/520064

A group opposed to the sale of any portion of Kiwanis Park is mobilized and ready for a fight.

Friends of Kiwanis Park, a group recently formed to rally against the possible sale and development of 9.6 hectares (23.7 acres) of parkland in the city's north end, has been at work since word came down in mid-March that Kitchener city staff had compiled a list of 14 properties -- including Kiwanis -- that could be declared surplus and sold.

Public meetings have been scheduled for later this month and no decision is expected for months, but that hasn't stopped Friends of Kiwanis Park from springing into action. About 100 people attended an information session last week at Gallery on the Grand.

The group has also launched a website, savekiwanispark.ca, that includes a petition that boasted 1,125 signatures as of yesterday.

The group, said spokesperson Catherine Drown, has adopted the acronym PARKS to outline its game plan.

"Preserve and protect all of Kiwanis Park, both now and in the future," said Drown, a crisis intervention therapist who has enjoyed the park for about four decades. "Act now, to let the city know that there is strong and organized disapproval to the plan to sell off Kiwanis Park.

"Relay information to the community to assist people to formulate informed opinions . . . and know how to put the thoughts into action.

"K is to 'konvince' city council to vote no to declaring Kiwanis Park surplus land.

"And S is to stop the sale of any part of Kiwanis Park, now and in the future."

Kiwanis Park is one of the biggest public parks in Waterloo Region. Selling off 9.6 hectares of the 50-hectare property that flanks the Grand River would cut the size of the park by nearly a fifth.

Beginning next Monday, the city will conduct two weeks of public consultation to allow city staff to gather feedback on the proposed options for Kitchener's parks master plan.

Informal sessions are scheduled where residents can learn more about all of the property options.

Sessions will have a specific focus on one property, but discussion and questions about all properties are welcome.

Kiwanis Park will be the focus on Wednesday, April 29, from 7 to 9 p.m., at the Bridgeport Community Centre, 20 Tyson Dr.

All proposals will be up for discussion during a session on Saturday, April 25, from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Kitchener Market.

In addition to the public meetings, residents can offer comments, beginning April 20, at the city's website, by email (landdisposition@kitchener.ca) or by calling 519-741-2602.

Meanwhile, nearby residents are expected to turn out on Sunday, from 9 a.m. until noon, for the annual Kiwanis Park cleanup.

Members of Friends of Kiwanis Park, who already have the support of Coun. Gazzola in their fight against the sale, have named 93-year-old Jacob Edward Kaufman as their chair emeritus. Jacob's uncle, A.R. Kaufman, was instrumental in developing Kiwanis Park, Drown said.

"Someone asked how far we are willing to take this fight, and the sky's the limit," she said. "We will use all of our resources in a respectful and reasonable manner to convince city council that we need to look at this in a way that demonstrates good judgment and long-sighted vision. Once these parks are gone, they are gone for good."

mbryson@therecord.com

sixer
Apr 15, 2009, 12:59 AM
Start the development already. These people are hypocrites. Trees were taken down to build their very own homes, but now they're crying if others are taken down. Please, move to the country, our region is expanding.

And the Petition is a joke as it's completely misleading.

notmyfriends
Apr 15, 2009, 5:23 AM
I'm not konvinced

dunkalunk
Apr 15, 2009, 4:21 PM
I have to agree that the petition and the whole campaign is misleading, and a bit hokey. This is unfortunate, because it prevents them from creating a valid argument of why the parkland shouldn't be allocated for residential development and just makes them seem like misguided advocates.

However, building single detached homes is no reason to use up park land. Why expand an already under-serviced car-dependant suburb? I could care less if the new buildings are LEED certified if the people living there are all driving and adding to the existing traffic congestion on Woolwich and Bridge streets (I can't say anything about University Ave, I've never been around there during rush hour).

Until I see an actual proposal that this is going to be something other than traditional suburban expansion, I have my doubts that it will be anything other.

Ktown4ever
Apr 15, 2009, 11:44 PM
Just some good old fashioned Nimbyism.

dunkalunk
Apr 16, 2009, 12:02 AM
Not entirely.

myfaceisonfire
Apr 16, 2009, 1:02 PM
I'd rather see Kiwanis stay as is. If we want to expand we should be expanding up, not out. Every successful metropolis needs to have parkland. Are they going to develop Victoria Park as well? We can't just go around developing every piece of parkland in the region in the name of suburbia.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Apr 21, 2009, 4:55 PM
I thought it would be interesting to point this out, quoted from the City of Kitchener's website (http://www.kitchener.ca/parks/#mclennan) on the development of McLennan Park (Mount Trashmore):

"Residents have told us that park space and the environment are important to them and we're developing additional park space for residents to enjoy."

Whoooops...I wonder if the same people at City Hall who put this together on Mount Trashmore are responsible for the sale of surplus park land? :hmmm:

jcollins
Apr 30, 2009, 1:05 PM
Plan to sell part of Kiwanis Park meets with vociferous protests

April 30, 2009
Brent Davis
RECORD STAFF

KITCHENER

A standing-room-only crowd voiced its displeasure last night over a proposal to sell off part of Kiwanis Park.

The meeting, held at the Bridgeport Community Centre, was the last of four public information sessions hosted by the city as it determines whether to declare several properties across Kitchener as surplus.

Of those, five have been deemed priorities. The parcel of land in Kiwanis Park -- up to 9.6 hectares (23.7 acres), or roughly a fifth of the park's total size -- is the largest.

"I have faith in our councillors, that they are going to make the right decision, that they are going to listen to us," area resident Nelson Cordeiro said in an interview.

"I just find it unacceptable . . . This park plays a very important part in our daily lives. It's been here for generations."

In the six weeks or so since the proposal came to light, park users and neighbours have mobilized to form the group Friends of Kiwanis Park. An online petition opposing the plan had been signed by more than 1,700 as of yesterday afternoon.

As dozens of people continued to file into the community centre last night, many clutching handmade signs with the words Not For Sale, the group's chair, Catherine Drown, said the turnout "speaks volumes.''

"I think the public is letting (council) know loud and clear," she said.

The decision on Kiwanis Park comes down to dollars and cents, said Jeff Willmer, the city's general manager of development and technical services.

"This is about resource management and the wise use of assets," he told those gathered.

City staff maintain the swath of land in question is underutilized and could better serve the public if it was redeveloped.

The bulk of the park is in a flood plain, and would not be sold.

Part of the Kiwanis land up for debate could be used to complete a planned transit loop -- essentially, extending Falconridge Drive from where it currently dead-ends at the park. The rest could be rezoned for residential development.

Willmer acknowledged developers have already expressed interest.

The city could earn between $5.4 and $7.3 million on the parcel's sale. It could generate more than $300,000 in annual property tax revenue (the city's share would be about $100,000). Right now, it costs an estimated $8,000 a year to maintain that portion of Kiwanis Park.

But where the city sees tax revenue from a new neighbourhood, area residents and park users see trees and grass, bald eagles and red foxes.

"These people are appalled," Drown said. "This shouldn't even be on the table."

Flanking the Grand River in the city's north end, Kiwanis Park has served the city for about half a century. Drown has enlisted one of its staunchest supporters, 93-year-old J.E. Kaufman, in the fight.

Kaufman's uncle, A.R. Kaufman, was instrumental in the park's development.

Kaufman earned a round of applause last night as he denounced the plan.

"The city has no right to give that land to some developer and collect some money for it. It should be kept as it is.

"Once that land's gone, you don't get it back."

Willmer's argument that the city could use funds raised through the sale of Kiwanis Park land to potentially purchase much more (cheaper) parkland elsewhere largely fell on deaf ears.

"It doesn't make any sense for the city to sell parkland to buy parkland," said Bridgeport resident Larry Crandell.

He wanted to know how already-stressed area roads and infrastructure could support an influx of new residents, and questioned the logic of replacing pollution-fighting parkland with urban development.

"We need that green space," he said. "It's not a case of even wanting it. We need it."

Residents have until May 4 to register their comments and concerns about the city's proposals.

Comments are being accepted on the city's website -- go to www.kitchener.ca and click on the link for Strategic Disposition of Lands.

Comments can also be emailed to landdisposition@kitchener.ca or left in a telephone message at 519-741-2602.

Council is expected to make its decision in June.

bdavis@therecord.com

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Jun 3, 2009, 11:15 PM
Parklands in jeopardy

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/161/33675524.jpg
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/606/kiwanistable.jpg

By Terry Pender, THE RECORD June 03, 2009

KITCHENER

The controversy begins where Homer Watson Boulevard ends.

Near the intersection of Homer Watson and Stirling Avenue is a woodlot covering 1.4 hectares (3.4 acres) immediately adjacent to Lake Side Park.

At a committee meeting on June 22 city councillors will decide whether to declare this land surplus and sell it for development.

Another four city-owned parcels are also up for consideration--the Table Lands in Kiwanis Park, the lots on both sides of McLennan Park Gate and a tree-covered lot on Kehl Street.

Once councillors decide the fate of these properties, city staff have listed another nine for assessment and possible sale.

It appears the city has sparked an effective round of community organizing and lobbying that aims to scuttle any move to sell part of Kiwanis Park or land near Lake Side Park.

Councillors have responded to the pressure and a solid majority openly oppose selling any of Kiwanis Park. At least one other group hopes to repeat that success with the land near Lake Side Park.

More opposition is expected once people learn the open spaces near their homes could be sold off by the city and developed.

After the process started in February, the group called Friends of Kiwanis Park collected the names of nearly 2,000 people opposed to selling any part of the park.

More than 150 of them packed a public meeting on the issue and lobbied members of council to ensure no part of Kiwanis Park is sold for development. They have raised such a fuss that it is all but certain the Table Lands in Kiwanis Park will not be sold. More than half of city councillors have publicly stated they will not vote in favour of the move.

"I have not come to absolute, categorical decisions on all of them, except to say: 'I too would not be in a position to support any development on the Kiwanis Park lands,' " Mayor Carl Zehr said of the lands under review.

Catherine Drown of Friends of Kiwanis Park is leaving nothing to chance. Drown and the group will continue organizing against the move until city councillors vote to take the property off the list.

"We are after solid victory -- a victory that can't be challenged," Drown said.

Across the city another group hopes to copy Drown's success in protecting Kiwanis Park.

The Friends of Lake Side Park wants the city to retain ownership of a woodlot that borders the park. It is home to beavers, snapping turtles, deer, foxes, muskrats, geese and other birds.

Mary Ann Vanden Elzen, who is working with the group, always thought the woodlot was part of Lake Side Park. Vanden Elzen said she was shocked to learn otherwise and that the land could be declared surplus to the city's needs and sold.

"It is used extensively," Vanden Elzen said of the parcel of land. "There are a lot of walnut trees growing there."

Friends of Lake Side Park will collect signatures on a petition and lobby city councillors.

Joe Henhoeffer, who is also part of the Friends of Lake Side Park, wants that parcel of land made part of the park and forever protected.

"It's much more than the standard mowed lawn with a soccer field," Henhoeffer said. "It is an incredible place."

They don't have to lobby Coun. Kelly Galloway, who said she's opposed to selling the land adjacent to Lake Side Park and the Table Lands in Kiwanis Park.

"Basically I am hearing residents don't want to see parks and open spaces sold," Galloway said.

"We don't have enough as it is. Once it is sold and developed we will never get it back. They want a green city," Galloway said.

She doesn't like the idea of selling the city-owned lands on McLennan Park Gate either. Those properties could be developed as part of the park in the future, Galloway said. During the past three months a lot of people have told city councillors to keep and protect the green spaces now owned by the city.

"I got a lot of letters on this." Coun. John Gazzola said. "There is a lot of interest, a lot of concern."

City staff started looking at the inventory of publicly-owned lands in an attempt to reduce maintenance costs, eliminate liability, see high quality infill development and generate revenue from the sales and property tax revenue. City staff say they spend about $11,680 a year maintaining the vacant parcels of public land. If sold for development the city would make millions right away, and take in an estimated $318,201 a year in property taxes.

FOR SALE?

Public green spaces up for review and possible sale:

The Table Lands in Kiwanis Park--about 24 acres.

Lands on the east and west side of McLennan Park Gate--nearly two acres.

A 3.3 acre woodlot near Homer Watson Boulevard and Stirling Avenue, adjacent to Lake Side Park.

A triangle shaped lot at South Drive and Glenn Road--nearly one acre.

The land between 184 and 196 Kehl St.

Part of Rockway Golf Course next to 236 Carwood Ave.

About 10 acres at Filsinger Park and Westmount Road.

Up to one acre of land at Old Chicopee Drive and Boundbrook Court.

About 1.5 acres off South Drive, Perth Lane and Burnside Avenue.

More than half an acre off Union Lane Green.

Lot fronting on Blackhorne Drive near McLennan Park.

Land on Victoria Street South near Fischer Hallman.

Land at General Drive and Lancaster Street.

http://news.therecord.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/547006
Aerial Image by Matthew McCarthy
Map by Diane Shantz

smably
Jun 23, 2009, 1:10 PM
Huge turnout at City Hall last night for this issue. I didn't stay to the end, but apparently council voted unanimously against selling off any of Kiwanis Park, and even asked staff to prepare a report on how to finance the purchase of several other areas by the Grand River. (Staff had been recommending that the city sell part of Kiwanis park and use the money to help fund park land acquisition.)

Here is the story in the Record:
http://news.therecord.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/557867