View Full Version : Calgary Flames

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Distill3d
Apr 4, 2009, 6:11 AM
i'd rather start this off with a better report than this...but:

Wild keep up hope, shut out Flames
Friday, April 3, 2009
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- The Minnesota Wild are fully aware that one more loss could ruin them.

That much was evident by the inspired desperation they showed Friday night.

The Wild finally figured out Miikka Kiprusoff with three goals on 10 shots in the first period of a 4-0 victory over the Calgary Flames that kept their slim playoff chances alive.

Andrew Brunette, Cal Clutterbuck and Owen Nolan scored in the first for the 10th-place Wild, who moved within two points of idle eighth-place St. Louis and the post-season cutoff in the Western Conference.

"I think the desperation in our game was evident in the first period," Clutterbuck said. "This was it for us as far as playoff chances. We wanted to get it, and we got it."

Marian Gaborik polished things off in the third period, and Niklas Backstrom made 27 saves for his team-record eighth shutout of the season, the second most in the NHL.

Kiprusoff made 24 saves and was briefly pulled by coach Mike Keenan in the first period. The short-handed Flames fell to 2-10 on the second game of a back-to-back.

"We needed a little bit of a timeout to get things stabilized," Keenan said. "We didn't start the game assertive enough. We were a little bit on our heels."

The Wild came into the game practically needing to win its five remaining contests to have a shot at the playoffs. They got off to a good start against a goaltender that has dominated them throughout his career and a division rival they had yet to beat all season.

Kiprusoff was 24-6-1-2 against Minnesota with a 1.79 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage, and his Flames beat the Wild in all five previous meetings this season.

"We haven't really had any success against them this season," Clutterbuck said. "So it was important to get on them early."

Brunette opened the scoring by tipping in a slap shot from Marek Zidlicky to snap an 0-for-9 drought on the power play.

The next trip into the Calgary zone, Clutterbuck pounced on a loose puck to Kiprusoff's right and zipped a wrist shot through the five-hole for a 2-0 lead. That's when Keenan abruptly yanked his top goaltender and inserted Curtis McElhinney -- sort of.

Kiprusoff was out for all of 12 seconds. Keenan had a few words for him on the bench, and sent him back in at the next stoppage.

"I was surprised," Kiprusoff said. "And going back in, I think we all know Mike -- sometimes he just tries to wake the team up. I just have to be ready, and it didn't work out tonight."

It was a typical head game that the hard-nosed Keenan has played with his goaltenders for years.

"He does that," Wild coach Jacques Lemaire said. "He specializes in that."

If the move was meant to settle Kiprusoff down and clear his head, it didn't work. He spent the rest of the period flopping on his belly to chase pucks and giving up big rebounds. Nolan capped the period with a light slapshot that somehow squeezed under Kiprusoff's arm for a 3-0 lead, and the Wild coasted the rest of the way.

For the first time in recent memory, Lemaire beamed and raved about his team's play, lauding the skating and puck movement while saying he was "proud of what he was seeing."

"We're fighting for our lives here," Brunette said.

.Calgary dressed only 16 players for this game. Defencemen Robyn Regehr and Adrian Aucoin were injured in Thursday night's playoff-clinching victory at Dallas and were sorely missed in the first period of this one.

Emergency callups John Negrin and Matt Pelech made their NHL debuts, but the Flames just didn't have much juice after outshooting the Wild 40-15 in a 3-2 victory in Calgary last weekend.

It's not a good sign for Calgary, which has two more back-to-backs to finish the season and is tied with hard-charging Vancouver for the Northwest Division lead.

"It was a big game for us, too," Kiprusoff said. "So, it's no excuses. We didn't play that well."

Notes: Gaborik's goal was his sixth in seven games since returning from hip surgery. ... Clutterbuck's goal was his first in 30 games, dating to Jan. 27 against Toronto. ... Brunette's power-play goal was just the seventh in 53 chances with the man advantage. ... The Flames are mired in an 0-for-24 power-play slump.

source (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/04/03/wild_flames/)

Distill3d
Apr 4, 2009, 6:13 AM
oddly, i find myself cheering for the Oilers tomorrow night...

frinkprof
Apr 4, 2009, 3:36 PM
Nevermind.

Distill3d
Apr 4, 2009, 4:12 PM
have the Flames disclosed what exactly Regehr's injury is yet?

frinkprof
Apr 4, 2009, 4:57 PM
Nevermind.

Surrealplaces
Apr 4, 2009, 5:01 PM
^Just the usual "lower body," although I've seen speculation it's the knee. The problem is Sarich and Giordano are out too. Two guys playing their first NHL game on defense last night, plus a rookie in Pardy is a lot of inexperience.

Isn't Aucoin out too?

Surrealplaces
Apr 4, 2009, 5:03 PM
lol!. I'm cheering for the Oilers too. They're done for the season anyhow, so why not.

Speaking of the Oilers, everytime I think of them it reminds me of that Neil Diamond song...'forever in 10th place' :)

oddly, i find myself cheering for the Oilers tomorrow night...

frinkprof
Apr 4, 2009, 5:28 PM
Nevermind.

Innersoul1
Apr 4, 2009, 5:48 PM
WOW...it feels so nice to be able to discuss hockey without getting razzed for being off topic! WOOT WOOT!

You know there was a time 2 months ago that one of the brilliant things of this season was that we had managed to stay healthy. Now it seems that Vancouver is peaking at the right time, Calgary is faultering at the wrong time and the injuries are pilling up. YIKES

Surrealplaces
Apr 4, 2009, 6:14 PM
I know it's a cliche, but as the old saying goes.. The Playoffs are a new season. I couldn't give a rats ass if the Flames take first place or not. As long as they get all these injured players back a game or two before the playoffs, it'll be a whole new season.

WOW...it feels so nice to be able to discuss hockey without getting razzed for being off topic! WOOT WOOT!

You know there was a time 2 months ago that one of the brilliant things of this season was that we had managed to stay healthy. Now it seems that Vancouver is peaking at the right time, Calgary is faultering at the wrong time and the injuries are pilling up. YIKES

Distill3d
Apr 4, 2009, 6:21 PM
^Just the usual "lower body," although I've seen speculation it's the knee. The problem is Sarich and Giordano are out too. Two guys playing their first NHL game on defense last night, plus a rookie in Pardy is a lot of inexperience.

from the way he ran the boards, it looked like maybe his hip was out or something.

Sarich, Giordano, and Aucoin are all out too...wonderful...i expect an early exit this year again.

frinkprof
Apr 4, 2009, 10:34 PM
Nevermind.

Distill3d
Apr 5, 2009, 4:42 AM
god bless the Edmonton Oilers for beating the Vancouver Canucks 5-3 tonite!!

Jay in Cowtown
Apr 5, 2009, 5:05 AM
^I think at least a couple of those guys will be back soon.

When's Bourque back? Rumor had it that he'd be back right around when Bert returned... guess not.

Nicely done Oil, by the way.

Calalb
Apr 5, 2009, 7:20 AM
The Fan 960 said Bourque is skating and should be back playing sometime this coming week. Hopefully he'll be back in form when the playoffs start.

fatboy
Apr 5, 2009, 12:56 PM
have the Flames disclosed what exactly Regehr's injury is yet?

CBC last night said along the ticker, he has torn ACL or MCL, it went by quick so I just caught the last piece.
That is a huge loss if true.

Bigtime
Apr 6, 2009, 3:38 PM
Los Angeles is in town tonight, 7:30pm. Can we take 'em? :D

I know I can take the Dome beer tonight! :cheers:

For those interested here is the link to the Calgarypuck Forums (AKA the super serious hockey discussion only place, no swearing allowed!) Calgarypuck (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/index.php).

A few of us are posters over there as well. At least here we can swear and rant ourselves silly without being looked down upon!

freeweed
Apr 6, 2009, 4:34 PM
the Calgarypuck Forums (AKA the super serious hockey discussion only place, no swearing allowed!)

Since when did women have their own hockey forum?

Discussing hockey without swearing is akin to playing the game without fighting. Great if you carry a purse I suppose.

Beltliner
Apr 6, 2009, 4:52 PM
Discussing hockey without swearing is akin to playing the game without fighting. Great if you carry a purse I suppose.

Wha', you mean like:

Sarge, I'm only eighteen
I got a ruptured spleen
And I always carry a purse

I got eyes like a bat
And my feet are flat
And my asthma's gettin' worse

Just think of my career
My sweetheart dear
And my poor old invalid aunt

Besides, I ain't no fool
I'm a-goin' to school
And I'm a-workin' in a defense plant

ST1
Apr 6, 2009, 5:01 PM
Normally you'd think so, but these days who knows. Vancouver thought they would easily take Edmonton and Colorado.

Los Angeles is in town tonight, 7:30pm. Can we take 'em? :D

I know I can take the Dome beer tonight! :cheers:

For those interested here is the link to the Calgarypuck Forums (AKA the super serious hockey discussion only place, no swearing allowed!) Calgarypuck (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/index.php).

A few of us are posters over there as well. At least here we can swear and rant ourselves silly without being looked down upon!

frinkprof
Apr 6, 2009, 5:25 PM
Nevermind.

freeweed
Apr 6, 2009, 5:45 PM
The Flames haven't done very well with Regehr out in the past.

They haven't done very well WITH him in the past month.

I'm really starting to think there may be something to this "cancer" joke (inen).

Bigtime
Apr 6, 2009, 6:42 PM
I'm really starting to think there may be something to this "cancer" joke (inen).

I see what you did there! Took me a second! :haha:

Turns out he lives in arriVa as well. I've been in the elevator with him a couple of times, his forehead doesn't look as large in person!

Rode up the elevator with the Bertuzzi's yesterday, a very nice family and a couple of cute kids.

You Need A Thneed
Apr 6, 2009, 6:57 PM
A win tonight, and a regulation win tomorrow, and the Flames have clinched the division. Get'r done boys!

Innersoul1
Apr 6, 2009, 7:16 PM
I see what you did there! Took me a second! :haha:

Turns out he lives in arriVa as well. I've been in the elevator with him a couple of times, his forehead doesn't look as large in person!

Rode up the elevator with the Bertuzzi's yesterday, a very nice family and a couple of cute kids.

So, do you talk with Bert? WHat do you talk about?

Bigtime
Apr 6, 2009, 7:22 PM
So, do you talk with Bert? WHat do you talk about?

They were in the middle of a conversation, so I wasn't going to interupt. I'm just super polite like that!

frinkprof
Apr 7, 2009, 4:13 AM
Nevermind.

freeweed
Apr 7, 2009, 12:52 PM
Jokinen's forehead has nothing on the Sedins' massive melons.

Even if there were just one of them.

Bigtime
Apr 7, 2009, 2:09 PM
Things are looking up.

Yes and no. It was a very poor showing for the powerplay department last night. We should have had at least 2 goals from them on that front. Those are key chances that we can't lose out on during the playoffs.

Innersoul1
Apr 8, 2009, 3:44 PM
Man Lui played a HUGE game last night. Too bad. We just need to do big things against Edmonton this weekend.

Distill3d
Apr 8, 2009, 9:36 PM
Lou stood on his head last night. I'd have to say that was one of the best games I've ever seen him play. though, in Kippers defense, he played a great game last night as well.

fatboy
Apr 9, 2009, 2:22 AM
Lou stood on his head last night. I'd have to say that was one of the best games I've ever seen him play. though, in Kippers defense, he played a great game last night as well.

kipper played like shit, what game were you watching, the one through finnish glasses. :slob: You mean Ohlands goal? wtf was that, 8 MILLION a year, I expect perfection!
Best offence pressure I have seen this year from the flames, Borat stood on his head.
Just wait until our 6 injured players are back, could be great playoff run, if we get healthy.

O-tacular
Apr 9, 2009, 9:17 PM
Ugh! Chongo Luongo gets us everytime! I still maintain it doesn't take too much skill to stop a puck when you take up the ENTIRE net. Anyhow, hopefully Edmonchuck won't burn us. I'm sure they'd relish the opportunity though. Remember last year? They actually screwed themselves out of firstround picks just so they could spite us. Idiots! Well, here's hopin' jokinen won't be chokenin' much longer and start scoring again.

Danma
Apr 9, 2009, 9:18 PM
Speaking of injuries, anyone expected to get back in before the first round starts?

Innersoul1
Apr 9, 2009, 11:16 PM
Bourque maybe....Sarich, who knows he has an air cast on. The big darkhorse could be Warrener

Distill3d
Apr 10, 2009, 2:11 AM
Flames sign Moss to 3-yr extension

SPORTSNET.CA

The Calgary Flames signed forward David Moss to a three-year contract extension on Thursday.

In 79 games this season, Moss has 20 goals and 18 assists.

He was drafted by the Flames in the 7th round (220th overall) in 2001.

source (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/04/09/flames_moss/)

according to NHLnumbers.com (http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CGY&season=0809) he'll be making 1.3 million a year until 2012. this is a good signing for the Flames, now we just need to find Cammalleri some money. given some of the UFA's we'll have on July 1st, it shouldn't be too hard to get him 4.5 - 5 million/year.

frinkprof
Apr 10, 2009, 2:33 AM
Nevermind.

Distill3d
Apr 10, 2009, 2:40 AM
^I think Cammileri's gone. Who knows though, Sutter's surprised me in the past. I like the Moss signing though. What a steal of a late round pick. Big guy that can stand in front of the net, kill penalties, has scored 20 goals this season, and we get him for $1.3 million.

As for injuries, yeah Warrener's a wild card, and it would be cool to see him dress for the playoffs if guys don't come back. Eriksson's also an NHL-experienced guy in the fold. Quite unpopular for making huge mistakes, but he's better than putting a pylon out there.

I think Cammalleri is staying. Warrener's contract is up at the end of the season, so there's 2.5 million cleared up there, and Bertuzzi's contract is up to, and thats an extra 2 million cleared up as well. so thats 4.5 million cleared up, we could easily give that to Cammie. its all in the air right now, but in order for Cammie to stay, we'll have to sacrifice Bertuzzi or Warrener (or both). thats just my opinion.

frinkprof
Apr 10, 2009, 2:53 AM
Nevermind.

Distill3d
Apr 10, 2009, 3:04 AM
Cammileri's market value will be at least $5M, and probably closer to $6M. The only way he stays is if he takes a discount. Given he's from the GTA, speculation all along has been him signing with Toronto, but who knows.

thats like saying Vinnie is leaving TB for the Habs. it'd be awesome to see, but we know its not going to happen. Sutter is a damn fool if he lets him go without getting anything in return. I'm sure it will all work out anyways.

frinkprof
Apr 10, 2009, 3:14 AM
Nevermind.

Innersoul1
Apr 10, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah we need to find a way to Keep Cammie, there is such chemistry between him and Iggy. I think that we will see the Flames trying to keep both Bert and Cammie.

Found this beauty on Youtube today:

7yS09w6lVHI

Wooster
Apr 11, 2009, 3:24 AM
Flames have really tanked toward the end of the season. I know they've struggles with injuries, but seriously it's not looking to promising for the playoffs. I think they'll be lucky to get to a game 6 with Chicago.

O-tacular
Apr 11, 2009, 4:59 AM
Yeesh! Destroyed by Edmonton? WTF!:yuck: They're what, like 11th in the conference? And we can;t even use the goalie excuse for them or us (Kipper was in net for us and No Roloson for the oil). How is it with our exponentially better players we can;t muster more than one goal? I swear Keenan's compulsive line changes are fucking with the players.

mersar
Apr 11, 2009, 5:10 AM
Well from what they just said on the news, they were playing with a pretty depleted roster tonight between injuries and salary cap issues with replacing those injured players. Still a pretty disapointing score against a team that really has no reason to even try.

freeweed
Apr 13, 2009, 4:38 AM
So, is the CBC deliberately snubbing Flames fans, or have hockey fans spoken and the CBC's days of being Canada's premier hockey broadcaster are at an end?

You decide!

Seriously, I can't remember the last time anyone but CBC broadcast a playoff series featuring a Canadian team. But hey, they're showing the Penguins series, and the Sharks series... that makes up for it, right?

Yes, I'm just bitter because we'll have to hear Pierre hollering about how much of a "monster" Khabibulin is. With Turco out of the picture he'll have to find someone to drool about. :hell:

frinkprof
Apr 13, 2009, 5:24 AM
Nevermind.

Deepstar
Apr 13, 2009, 5:30 AM
CBC is unaware that western Canadian teams exist. At least we don't have to listen to Don Cherry manage to mention something about his beloved Leafs well into the playoffs when they've been golfing for weeks.

I guess we get to see who Pierre has a bigger mancrush on, Phaneuf or Toews (it spells toes).

On a more serious note, looks like a couple of the D-men are soon to return. Phaneuf and Sarich.

Nice to see those guys back, but we're really missing Regehr. IMO, he was our best defensman this year. I've heard that Bourque will be ready for the playoffs, but I doubt he'll be the same player that he was. If the flames can get past Chicago by some miracle of god, he might be in the groove by the second round.

Whatever the case may be, with the players the will Flames have, they still have a shot. If everybody pulls together, they have enough talent......it's a question of will they pull it together?

freeweed
Apr 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
They've shown zero inclination towards being able to pull it together since the trade deadline, and arguably since the injury bug first hit.

Plus, Chicago's had their number all year.

Hawks in 5 (hey, maybe Keenan will pull Kipper enough times that our backup might salvage something out of pride).

Distill3d
Apr 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
^i don't know about that. I think we can pull this one out of our ass and take it in a very close 7 games.

Bigtime
Apr 13, 2009, 1:28 PM
I guess we get to see who Pierre has a bigger mancrush on, Phaneuf or Toews (it spells toes).

First thing I thought of when you mentioned the Toews thing:

Up7m1osYeTM

Surrealplaces
Apr 14, 2009, 12:55 AM
Some of you may have this already.

7yS09w6lVHI

Surrealplaces
Apr 14, 2009, 12:57 AM
They've shown zero inclination towards being able to pull it together since the trade deadline, and arguably since the injury bug first hit.

Plus, Chicago's had their number all year.

Hawks in 5 (hey, maybe Keenan will pull Kipper enough times that our backup might salvage something out of pride).

The question I'm wondering is how many god damn times Keenan will juggle the lines?? :hell: Enough already!

frinkprof
Apr 14, 2009, 1:03 AM
Nevermind.

Surrealplaces
Apr 14, 2009, 1:26 AM
Yup, that's what I was referencing.

I actually have a soft spot for Chicago and think it's great to see the resurgence with the good young players. It's good that the third-largest market in North America has a strong team again after years of disappointment and mismanagement.

Definitely cheering against them for the next couple weeks though.

I'll be cheering for the Flames, but as soon as they're dispatched by the Hawks, I'll be cheering for the Hawks. Glad to see the original six teams like Boston and Chicago playing well.

BFHeadstone
Apr 14, 2009, 2:31 AM
I truely think that the Flames have missed Bourque more than people have said. This skid had coincided with his injury. He was second in team scoring at the time and in my opinion was the team MVP.

Hopefully he is back on Thursday

Innersoul1
Apr 14, 2009, 9:04 PM
I truely think that the Flames have missed Bourque more than people have said. This skid had coincided with his injury. He was second in team scoring at the time and in my opinion was the team MVP.

Hopefully he is back on Thursday

Sounds like Bourque had a really good skate and practice today. Didn't need to see the trainers after. Keenan sounded confident that he would crack the roster in Chicago.

Its going to be an interesting series. Chicago took us 4-0 in the season series...but I think that we will have a lot of fight! Can't wait to see the sea of Red next week!

Innersoul1
Apr 14, 2009, 9:08 PM
Interesting news, Curtis McElhinney was injured in practice so they have recalled Leland Irving from Quad City.

Bigtime
Apr 14, 2009, 9:47 PM
From the folks over at Calgarypuck, the photoshopping for Round 1 begins!

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1590/flames1.jpg

Innersoul1
Apr 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
Beauty!!

Distill3d
Apr 14, 2009, 10:52 PM
Interesting news, Curtis McElhinney was injured in practice so they have recalled Leland Irving from Quad City.

WE COULDN'T DO THAT 8 MONTHS AGO!?!?!! WTF!

frinkprof
Apr 15, 2009, 1:15 AM
Nevermind.

Distill3d
Apr 15, 2009, 1:43 AM
^sadly you're right, but i think he would've been better than McBackup

skrish
Apr 15, 2009, 1:47 AM
I'm so excited guys :boogy:. All my jersey's have been cleaned and are ready to go minus the one from the 04 run which really smells like ass now.

Edit: Maggie the monkey picked us!

You Need A Thneed
Apr 15, 2009, 3:15 AM
I'm going to try and wear my Flames jersey on Thursday here in Honolulu. Hopefully I don't boil.

Bigtime
Apr 15, 2009, 1:35 PM
Anyone have a GIANT Flames flag I could hang from my balcony? That would be sweet!

Riise
Apr 15, 2009, 3:55 PM
^sadly you're right, but i think he would've been better than McBackup

Really? I think the only guy that could back-up Kipper this year is someone that is nearly as good or better than him. Defensively, the team in front of any Flames netminder this year has been beyond poor.

frinkprof
Apr 15, 2009, 8:57 PM
Nevermind.

frinkprof
Apr 17, 2009, 3:38 AM
Nevermind.

Danma
Apr 17, 2009, 4:13 AM
Well, that was THE WORST overtime I have ever seen. 10 seconds of pure suffering.

I agree that overall the team played really well.. just didn't take advantage of their changes and some bad turnovers.

Bigtime
Apr 17, 2009, 1:42 PM
I'm concerned that losing that game has given Chicago the confidence it needs to really make a run at this. They were like a bunch scared little kids in the first period, that is how we need to keep them all the time!

Innersoul1
Apr 17, 2009, 4:15 PM
It was a solid game on Calgary's party. They did play quite well. Two things they need to work on:

1) POWERPLAY WTF?! We need to capitalize...it is just stupid wasting such opportunities!

2) Get the puck out when we are under pressure. Stop dicking around.

freeweed
Apr 17, 2009, 5:51 PM
Compare Cami's performance over Olli's.

Both experienced players who had never played in the playoffs before. Completely different response to it.

Too bad he had to ruin it with that punch, but quite frankly a good chunk of the NHL has wanted to do that to Havlat for years. He's one of the dirtiest players in the league (in terms of guys who aren't enforcers or Averies).

Surrealplaces
Apr 19, 2009, 8:53 PM
I guess it would be an understatement if I said the flames didn't look great yesterday. I don't know what they're going to do to turn the tide. Anyone have a Chicago Blackhawks voodoo doll I could borrow?

Bigtime
Apr 20, 2009, 3:43 PM
We really need to win this one tonight. Or else we REALLY need to win on Wednesday.

Deepstar
Apr 20, 2009, 6:33 PM
Time for the Flames to pull out the old cliche's. We should be hearing some of these classic gems this evening before the game.

'Our backs are against the wall', 'It's crunch time', 'we need a better effort', 'time to get back to the basics'...yadda yadda yadda

Innersoul1
Apr 20, 2009, 7:24 PM
Let's hope that the Sea of Red really rallies tonight! It's a big game!

Stang
Apr 20, 2009, 8:15 PM
Maybe I'm just celebrating 4:20 or something, but I'm not worried about the Flames yet. For some reason I can see them getting back into this series with a couple of home wins. Just my gut.

Tomorrow you can all taunt me and my gut if I'm wrong. :)

Danma
Apr 20, 2009, 10:24 PM
They can recover but this pattern of kicking ass for 1 of 3 periods won't get them out of this mess. Game 2 made me want to throw my TV out my window... you have to play all 60 minutes if you expect to get anywhere. It's hard to watch when you see Vancouver kicking the Blues around like a rag doll -- that's what this round should have been for us as well.

Look way up
Apr 21, 2009, 6:15 AM
Jokinen finally showed some game tonight.

frinkprof
Apr 21, 2009, 6:23 AM
Nevermind.

Deepstar
Apr 21, 2009, 3:09 PM
^I'd like to see Iginla break out, he's had a tough time this series. One thing he's gotta do is not get so worked up over the trash talking, and stay on his game.

Bigtime
Apr 21, 2009, 3:28 PM
Iggy is going to come out flying tomorrow, all the Hawk's did at the end there was just get him in his zone. Big-ass Iggy smile and all!

The C of Red was epic yesterday, I love playoff hockey at the Dome!

Stang
Apr 21, 2009, 3:43 PM
I think the player to watch in game 4 will be Iginla. Gordie Howe hat trick maybe?

Just don't break your hand, Iggy!

Iginla always plays his best when he's pissed off, so it is not necessarily a bad calculated risk to let him have the odd fisticuffs.

Innersoul1
Apr 21, 2009, 4:54 PM
Jokinen finally showed some game tonight.

Boy did her ever! He really sparked that Bourque goal with the big hit on Barker and then protecting the puck to start the cycle to Bourque. :tup:

Distill3d
Apr 21, 2009, 7:53 PM
i shaved off my playoff beard yesterday. then the Flames win...i think maybe i shouldn't grow it back...

Stephen Ave
Apr 21, 2009, 9:32 PM
^I'd like to see Iginla break out, he's had a tough time this series. One thing he's gotta do is not get so worked up over the trash talking, and stay on his game.

Agree. Watching those get under Iggy's skin kind of reminds me of Buffalo and how they used to get under Yashin's skin. I hope he shakes it off, and I'm sure he will. One thing for sure is he'll do better than Yashin in the long run.

jeffwhit
Apr 23, 2009, 5:07 AM
Iginla played like god tonight, so yeah, good one Chicago, you jackasses.

frinkprof
Apr 23, 2009, 5:15 AM
Nevermind.

Calalb
Apr 23, 2009, 7:55 AM
Of course its now a best of 3 series. Win Saturday and I like our chances.:fingerscrossed:

Ayreonaut
Apr 23, 2009, 3:45 PM
I think they've got to win game 5, I don't think they could take a game 7 on the road.

I stayed up until 6:30am to watch that game, I'd have been pissed if they blew a 4-1 lead.

Surrealplaces
Apr 23, 2009, 7:26 PM
The Sea of Red, while other NHL arenas hand out colored T-shirts or banners, the Flames fans make up the sea of red on hockey jersey's they've purchased themselves.

Another amazing thing is that it was also started spontaneously....all from a comment made by Don Cherry in 1986.

From HarryCalgary on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/21088636@N00/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3467772914_1c762322ee_o.jpg

Bigtime
Apr 23, 2009, 8:11 PM
The Sea of Red, while other NHL arenas hand out colored T-shirts or banners, the Flames fans make up the sea of red on hockey jersey's they've purchased themselves.

The rest of the country (except Edmonton) would just complain that Calgary fans can afford to buy their own jerseys because of all the MEGABUX we have from dirty-greedy-oil money!

I love being a part of the 'C of Red' during the playoffs, nothing beats the electricity and energy in the building!

lVWYbNCb4Dk

freeweed
Apr 23, 2009, 10:04 PM

Another amazing thing is that it was also started spontaneously....all from a comment made by Don Cherry in 1986.

I always wondered about that - anyone have a decent link with details?

Just the other day I had someone claiming that the Sea of Red is a total marketing thing, made up by the Flames organization in the same way modern US teams all have phony fan things. I seem to recall it had something to do with the Oilers but I can't remember.

And yes, it's tres cool to walk down Olympic way with 20,000 other people, all dressed in jerseys bought with our own money. And to go to the Casino/bar/whatever afterward and see half the people dressed the same.

Grendel
Apr 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
It's brilliant the way the marketing department has seized on this "C of Red" thing and caused everyone who attends a Flames game to think they need to go out and buy a jersey to participate in it. I remember back when my parents used to take me out to playoff games in the eighties, when it was the "Sea of Red" and everyone simply wore a red shirt to the game to participate. Somehow it seemed less asinine before the marketing types co-opted the practice.

Vascilli
Apr 24, 2009, 1:09 AM
I don't have a jersey. I'd probably just wear a red shirt.

Big Sky
Apr 24, 2009, 7:40 PM
I asked my father about this, and he says the Sea of Red was started from the Flames-Oilers series of 1986. The Flames had played really well in the first two games in Edmonton, winning the first and almost taking the second game.
He doesn't remember if it was Don Cherry, but someone made the comment that it was going to a 'sea of Red' back in the Saddledome. The local news media took hold of the quote, and in game three the Saddledome was literally a sea of Red

I love the fact that both the 'Sea of Red' and the 'Red Mile' were both phenomenons that started here without any kind of planning. The Red Mile still has yet to be duplicated by another city (sorry Oiler fans, but the Blue mile wasn't even close) Many have tried to duplicate the Sea of Red, but nothing has been comparable so far.

I always wondered about that - anyone have a decent link with details?

Just the other day I had someone claiming that the Sea of Red is a total marketing thing, made up by the Flames organization in the same way modern US teams all have phony fan things. I seem to recall it had something to do with the Oilers but I can't remember.

And yes, it's tres cool to walk down Olympic way with 20,000 other people, all dressed in jerseys bought with our own money. And to go to the Casino/bar/whatever afterward and see half the people dressed the same.

Beltliner
Apr 24, 2009, 7:50 PM
I don't have a jersey. I'd probably just wear a red shirt.

Safer to buy a jersey. Can't you tell from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(character)) what happens to chyelovyeki in red shirts?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/STObsession.jpg

Distill3d
Apr 24, 2009, 9:20 PM
It's just another reason to love the Flames. Thats one of the reasons opposing players have said its so difficult to play in Calgary. It has got to be intimidating coming into an arena and look up at the crowds and see practically everyone in the stands dressed like the players.

Cowtown_Tim
Apr 27, 2009, 7:59 PM
Does anyone know how long Phaneuf is out for? I'm thinking the Flames are finished for the year. Even if they win tonight, or by some miracle, win the series, they aren't going far. IMO the defense is just too depleted.